Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Mazda3

Comments

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    That is very encouraging. I'm really more interested in the upcoming CX-5 but it is very good to hear that you are getting that kind of mpg with the skyactive system which appears tp be even better than the EPA predicts.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    edited November 2011
    Mazda told us they engineered the car to get "real-world economy". So far, what I have been hearing, the cars have been spot on or beter.

Once we are allocated CX-5's, I will be ordering a CX-5 Touring AWD in Zeal Red Mica for my wife and trading in our 2005 Mazda6 i 5-door 5-speed manual.

BTW, any luck on getting a CX-5 thread??
    No, no news on the CX-5 thread. They don't have a Buick Verona thread either and that car is already on the road I believe.

Are the actual specs and standard/optional pkgs avalilable for the CX-5 yet?

Do you think the equip and options on the GT would pretty much mirror the same thing on the Mazda3 s?
    edited November 2011
    I know the exterior/interior color selection and package options, like the moon roof & bose package and technology packages, however I do not know the specific features these packages come with just yet.

My guess, which is based on nothing so far, is that we will place our first orders sometime in December with unit arrivals in late February / early March.
  • woochiferwoochifer Member Posts: 32
    Any word on when the hatchback 3i MTs will begin arriving? I read that the MT Skyactiv 3i models arrive this month, but another post on a different board indicated that the 4 doors will arrive before the 5 door models. And the first group will supposedly only include the base models -- the ones with the moonroof and Bose audio, which I would definitely want, will arrive later.

I want to compare the MT and AT Skyactive 3 before buying. There are already plenty of the AT models in my area to choose from, so I'm wondering how much longer I'll need to wait.
    I received a few 6-speed manuals this week. I have 2 stick 5-doors and a stick sedan
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    After you had a chance to test drive a manual, let us know how they feel. Thanks!
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    I received a few 6-speed manuals this week. I have 2 stick 5-doors and a stick sedan

Looks like a couple of dealers in my area (one of them close to work, but still far from home) received a MT Skyactiv 3 hatchback over the weekend. So, they've arrived. Checking inventory in other areas, it looks like all of them are the base Touring models. I have yet to see any with the moonroof/Bose package.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mazda arbitrarily decide that we cannot buy SkyActiv GT models with manual transmissions?
  • rangermuttrangermutt Member Posts: 5
    We purchased a 2012 Mazda3 i Touring w/SkyActiv 2.0 L engine and 6 speed auto tranny in Sky Blue Mica for the wife a couple of weeks ago. We are still on our first tank of gas and are getting combined mpg of 35. The car has a sporty ride with great steering feel - compared to my 2000 Miata, that says a lot. Plenty of acceleration when you need it and frugal when you don't need it. Hoping for many years of happy ownership.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mazda arbitrarily decide that we cannot buy SkyActiv GT models with manual transmissions?

Judging by your prior posts on this thread, that sounds more like a rhetorical question. For me, I don't need the GT model. The Touring version with the moonroof/Bose package is what I'd be looking to buy, regardless of the transmission.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Just test drove the same car this morning and was amazed at how smooth it drove. We already have a '05 3s with about 100k on the clock and though a faster ride, the 2012 just felt smoother. The acceleration isn't as fast as our S model, but I expected that since the engine is smaller. But did enjoy the info center which I know the wife would like and also it has the bluetooth which is a necessity for her now. A nice overall package. They had a leather seated one in the showroom and the quality is so much better than what was offered back in 2005...something I convinced her not to get due to it's low rent quality. The leather now is definitely something I know we'd both like! Could you please let me know what y'all paid with all your fees please? We're planning to get a 2013 model but just in case she wants to up the time frame, some numbers would be helpful for negotiating an otd price.
    Thanks so much for any help y'all can provide. I am,

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited December 2011
    Sandman,

Inventory on the Grand Touring Mazda3's with the Skyactiv-G engine are very very slim. Right now is not a good time to bargain and get a "deal" per say. We are getting full list for all GT's without any resistance because there is virtually no inventory right now. If a dealer has the car, it sells no problem and dealers in my neck of the woods are not really willing to swap one out.

I would assume as the year goes on, more inventory will become available, but who knows.

About the drive, it is impressive, isn't it? The real-world driving reports I am hearing are simply amazing. Many over 35mpg average and some as high as 38-39 average.
  • chessterchesster Member Posts: 15
    I got my GT for invoice price last month.
    Would that be a 2.5 liter GT or one of the new SkyActiv-G GTs (there's a rather substantial difference in both the car and the level of demand)?
  • chessterchesster Member Posts: 15
    SkyActiv-G
  • tog_tnctog_tnc Member Posts: 2
    I called several Mazda dealers, and they all indicate that Mazda has no plans to bring the MT Skyactiv with the Moonroof/Bose package. I hope this information is wrong.
    Cant complain about that!
    edited December 2011
    No, it's not wrong, in fact, you cannot have the Moonroof/Bose package with any version of the SkyActiv engine regardless of which transmission you want; said another way, you must opt for the gas-guzzling 2.5 liter engine if you want those options.

If Mazda was to simply offer the Mazda3 GT with one of four following engine/transmission combinations (with zero price difference based upon engine), I'd lay odds the SkyActiv models would sell three to one over the 2.5 liter models.

- 2.5/5-Speed Automatic
    - 2.5/6-Speed Manual
    - SkyActiv-G/SkyActiv-Drive (automatic)
    - SkyActiv-G/SkyActiv-MT (manual)

Needless to say, Mazda is currently forcing their customers to choose between luxury goodies and fuel efficiency. In our case, three weeks ago we simply skipped Mazda altogether and bought a VW.

Stupid move Mazda; stupid move.
    No, it's not wrong, in fact, you cannot have the Moonroof/Bose package with any version of the SkyActiv engine regardless of which transmission you want; said another way, you must opt for the gas-guzzling 2.5 liter engine if you want those options.

No, "in fact" you're wrong. You might want to check dealer inventory before you go off on another rant on this subject.

The AT Touring Skyactiv 3 models are available with the moonroof/Bose option, and in fact have already arrived at dealers. I should know, I've seen and sat in one already.

I'd been waiting until the MTs started arriving before requesting quotes and making appointments for test drives. And the MT Skyactiv 3 only started arriving in numbers this week, with 31 of them now in dealer inventory in my area.

My understanding is that the first production run of the MT Skyactiv 3 focused on the base model, and the moonroof/Bose models won't arrive until later.
  • tog_tnctog_tnc Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I did see the GT version (AT standard), which comes with the Moonroof/Bose package. Interestingly enough, if I read the Canadian websites correctly, the MT Skyactiv with Moonroof is available there. I just hope it comes here too.
    edited December 2011
    "No, "in fact" you're wrong. You might want to check dealer inventory before you go off on another rant on this subject."

Don't tell me, tell Mazda; per the Mazda-USA web site such a thing cannot exist.
    That would be too bad if that's the case. Right now, I'm still undecidd between the AT and MT. I'll know better once I test drive both of them. On other boards, the indications are that the AT is very capable. I also have the Ford Focus, VW Golf TDI, Subaru Impreza, and Hyundai Veloster on my short list.
    edited December 2011
    Don't tell me, tell Mazda; per the Mazda-USA web site such a thing cannot exist.

I'm telling you because you're the one claiming that the moonroof/Bose package is unavailable on any Skyactiv 3 model. A simple check of dealer inventory proves that point dead wrong.

Also, I have checked Mazda's website, and the moonroof/Bose package is in fact listed as an option on the Mazda website for the 3i Touring models. You're the one claiming that it cannot exist, when I pointed out that it DOES ... in reality ... on the dealer lot ... on a car that I actually sat in.
    "I'm telling you because you're the one claiming that the moonroof/Bose package is unavailable on any Skyactiv 3 model. A simple check of dealer inventory proves that point dead wrong."

Kindly lose the attitude, not one dealer in my area has such a car and the Mazda web site says they don't exist. That said, I wouldn't want such a car with a fem-o-matic transmission, hence the fact that we just took a pass on Mazda and bought a VW with a 6-Speed manual.
    Kindly lose the attitude, not one dealer in my area has such a car and the Mazda web site says they don't exist. That said, I wouldn't want such a car with a fem-o-matic transmission, hence the fact that we just took a pass on Mazda and bought a VW with a 6-Speed manual.

Attitude? I'm not the one posting rants based on erroneous information. You still can't seem to bring yourself to admit that your info was wrong.
    Wrong? Like I said, my source was none other than Mazda, the company with highly arbritrary guidlines on how to order a car. If they change their rules, then I'll change what I write.
    edited December 2011
    Wrong? Like I said, my source was none other than Mazda, the company with highly arbritrary guidlines on how to order a car. If they change their rules, then I'll change what I write.

And I corrected your info, citing both the dealer inventory in my area AND the specs on Mazda's website (which very clearly indicates the moonroof/Bose package as an option for the Skyactiv i Touring 3). Yet, you still persist in claiming that you're right ... and I'm the one with the "attitude."

Kindly click on the link and go over to the Packages & Options sections. Explain to anyone how your "source was none other than Mazda" in your claim that "you cannot have the Moonroof/Bose package with any version of the SkyActiv engine regardless of which transmission you want." This information has been the same ever since Mazda first posted the Skyactiv 3 specs on its website about six weeks ago.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsSpecs2&ve- - - hicleCode=M3H"
    Okay, I yield; I don't know what I was looking at yesterday, but whatever it was, I checked it twice and there was no availability of the Moonroof/Bose package available for any SkyActiv models. After checking this morning I see that both SkyActiv models (the i Touring and the i Grand Touring) are available with this package, if and only if, you opt for an automatic transmission; how stupid is that? Does Mazda think that those of us who prefer to drive a car with a real transmission don't like extra features?

Long story short, my disgust with Mazda's arbitrary configuration rules will continue unabated; doubly so as they went out of their way in pre-production press releases to A) tout the design features of their new SkyActiv-MT transmission, and B) made it quite clear that those of us who wished to buy a car with the new engine would also be able to configure it with the full load of options. That's more than a bit of bait and switch from my perspective.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Nobody is going to "prove" anything to to anyone on either side of this, so it's time to let it go and move on. Agree to disagree, and let's get back to discussing the vehicle please.
    Well sort of...

He did in fact "prove" to me that the SkyActiv version of the Mazda3 can be configured with the Moonroof/Bose options if the car is also configured with an automatic transmission.
  • rangermuttrangermutt Member Posts: 5
    We recently purchased a 2012 i Touring w/SkyActiv engine and auto tranny in Sky Blue Mica and could not be happier. Most of the miles have been in-town and we are getting north of 32 mpg. The only option I would like to have gotten would have been an automatic climate control but it was not available.

For those of you carping about the availability of manual trannys and numerous options, the dealer explained that with the new SkyActiv technology and lost production due to the earthquake and tsunami, Mazda could only produce so many Mazda3's and had to decide which configuration to get to the dealers.

The six-speed auto with manual shifting is really lots of fun so I would not bash it until you have driven one. My daily driver is a Miata with a 5 speed manual so that's saying a lot.

BTW - The dealer had a black i Touring w/SkyActiv that had a sun roof, leather seats and Bose system on the lot so they do exist.
    "The six-speed auto with manual shifting is really lots of fun so I would not bash it until you have driven one. My daily driver is a Miata with a 5 speed manual so that's saying a lot."

Be serious; an automatic transmission of any type (including the SkyActiv from Mazda and the DSG from VW) is anything but "fun".
    Be serious; an automatic transmission of any type (including the SkyActiv from Mazda and the DSG from VW) is anything but "fun".

Personal opinions should not be passed along as facts.

Passing judgement on something without experiencing it is rather foolish. I agree with rangermutt.
    His "fem-o-matic" comment is truly telling. He seems to think the ability to punch a clutch pedal and slide the shifter into a slot is very macho and akin to brain surgery.

@shipo

We get it. You don't like auto trannies and like to put down others that choose them. If that feeds your ego I feel sorry for you. You're also upset because you couldn't get auto climate control in the skyactiv. I like it too and they probably did screw up by not offering it but will probably correct it in future models. You should get over it or write a letter to Mazda....it would do more good than constantly badmouthing them here.
    The first comment was directed specifically toward the person I was responding to.

As for bad mouthing automatic transmissions in general, it's true I hate driving cars so equipped, but as a general rule I don't bad mouth them until someone says something like "if you try it you'll like it". Sorry, I won't, I've driven cars with the best automatics the industry has to offer and don't like them.

The overriding issue here is that Mazda went out of their way to build what is by all accounts, one of the best manual transmissions on the market, and then opted to only buy a car so equipped if it has certain options. That, more than anything else regarding the new Mazda3, is what I'm objecting to. I can only hope that when Mazda releases the new SkyActiv-D engine to the market they won't be so short-sighted as to offer it only with an automatic transmission.
    The problem is the poster did NOT say "if you try it, you'll like it". He just said don't bash it until you try it. I realize you don't like any kind of auto so you probably wouldn't try it and wouldn't like it if you did. I can appreciate that. But you use just about any opportunity to bash auto trannies and often people that like them with snide comments or cutesy euphenisms like "fem-o-matic". It gets old and boring.

It's really not hard to just say you like nothing but a stick and leave it at that. I happen to like them both for different reasons.

As far as the marketing decisions of Mazda goes, there are plenty of manufacturers that only have manual trannies in the base or entry type models. Mazda is certainly not alone in this and this trend did not happen overnight. In the old days sticks were plentiful and began to sit on lots. The manufacturers responded to this lack of demand and made less and less sticks. Some people would have you believe it's a conspiracy or that the demand for sticks was and is somehow greater than all the statistical sales history has shown.

I sincerely doubt that manufacturers would ignore pleas from their dealers "we need more sticks in all equip levels because they sell like hotcakes!". It was just the opposite. What sells is what gets made. Are there going to be some people that aren't satisfied? Sure, but they can't manage their production on those few.
    "As far as the marketing decisions of Mazda goes, there are plenty of manufacturers that only have manual trannies in the base or entry type models. Mazda is certainly not alone in this and this trend did not happen overnight."

Agreed, but if Mazda wants to become another Toyonda, then my current Mazda3 will be my last Mazda.

The thing is, it is Mazda which went out of its way to build up expectations of manual transmission availability by issuing press-releases touting how wonderful their new SkyActiv-MT transmission was going to be (and dedicating an entire web page to the new design and its various attributes). If they'd said up front the SkyActiv models will be Automatic only (or even the well equipped SkyActiv models will be Automatic only), I never would have gotten my hopes up and crossed them off our short list immediately. Of course if they had done that then I wouldn't be here bitching about it either. :P
  • ajfinoakajfinoak Member Posts: 58
    I test drove a Mazda 3 Skyactive and when I started it with a cold motor (outside temp was 50 here in CA) and there was a lot of noise coming from the engine for the first 30 seconds or so and then it stopped and ran normally. Dealer said this is normal with the Skyactiv. Anyone else notice this? What is that noise? It does raise my concerns about buying this model with the first year of this engine. Thanks
    I think it may be the direct injection. I've read in several forums that cars with DI are noisy, almost like a diesel, on start up and then quiet down very quickly like you said. That said, it would make me wonder too.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I am with Shippo on the manual tranny issue. Mazda looks just like everybody else if they limit the manual availability. What happened to zoom-zoom. The manual is EPA certified, just put the options on - who does it hurt? Building the 3 stick in the higher trims will only mean more sales.

I have not driven the new 3 with the automatic, but I have never driven an automatic I liked and don't expect the 3 will change that. 3 pedals or no sale for me.
    Hmmm, the DI engine in our GTI is plenty quiet when it starts up. Maybe VW uses extra sound deadening material.
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm, it may not be every DI engine or manufacturer either. As I said, I have no first hand knowledge but have read on several forums that people notice the tapping upon start and it quickly quiets down and their dealers told them it was the direct injection and nothing to worry about. Hyundai Sonta I4 DI was one of them and people have commented in the GM forums as well re the DI engines. Some may be a lot better at masking it or in protecting occupants from hearing it.
  • ajfinoakajfinoak Member Posts: 58
    I have an '08 Lexus IS 250 with DI and it does have a "ticking" all the time from the DI but is the same with a cold or warm engine. The Skyactiv was much louder at first upon cold start up- at first I thought there is definitely something wrong with this car.
    I guess it's possible that car may have had a problem. But consider that this engine has probably been tested for a year or more with probably hundreds of start ups in hot, cold and inbetween. So I have to assume it was supposed to be that way and is just particular to the engine.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    A dealer in my area got a few Skyactive MTs in so I took one for a drive. (Their stated policy is, "Welcome to take a drive even if you aren't buying"... God bless 'em!). Anyway, I will be buying, just not right away. Anyway, they just sold their last Skyactiv Touring MT hatch so I drove a Touring sedan.

I think I'm in love.

The shifter is great... short throws, crisp, smooth clutch takeup. And 6th gear is tall, e.g. revs were just a bit over 2000 at 65 mph. The ride was less jarring than I remember from driving Mazda3 rentals. Not sure why, since in winter the tar strips in roads are even more pronounced than in summer. Anyway, it was firm but not too harsh... not that much different from the Focus SE I drove and maybe a little smoother than the Impreza Limited (which had 17" wheels). And there is enough room in back for my teen-aged kids, for short trips at least. Leg room is comparable, again, to the Focus', and actually better than the Impreza's because there's more foot room under the seats. Not as good as the likes of the Elantra, but... it doesn't drive like an Elantra either. ;) (To be fair, I haven't driven the 6MT Elantra... hard to find those on lots.)

The big disappointment for me is that the 3i Touring Skyactiv doesn't come in Velocity Red. There was a 3s on the showfloor in that color, and oh boy was it beautiful! I could probably live with Graphite/Sage (I prefer Sage over Black interior), but not nearly as great as that Velocity Red.

I have a feeling it will come down to the Mazda3i Touring 6MT hatch vs. the Impreza Premium 5MT hatch... although the MT on the Impreza will need to be pretty great to match the Mazda's. 2nd tier are the Focus SE hatch 5MT, Elantra GLS 6MT, and Cruze Eco 6MT (in that order). The other option, for less bucks, is the used route, e.g. a certified Golf or previous-gen Civic.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    you sure about that rear legroom? I test drove the 2012 Impreza Sport Limited recently and the back seat is limo-sized compared to the Focus and Mazda3.

Of course I'm a 6 footer and have to move the seat pretty far back. But I had to move it to the end of its travel in the Ford and Mazda, but there was still room to go back in the Subie, plus I could sit behind myself, which is SUPER rare in a compact.

You can tell that the Ford and Mazda models share some DNA going back a bit. Mazda's got a slightly better powertrain, but Ford did the styling a lot better. And I'm i complete agreement about the lack of Velocity Red. Heck, between that and the lack of a Skyactiv/AutoClimate combo has basically turned me off of the 3.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I always test rear seat leg room by first adjusting the driver's seat where I like it, then sit in the back. The problem with the Impreza Limited's rear leg room is not the knee space--there's plenty of that. The problem is that my ankles hit the bottom edge of the front seat well before I wanted them to. That left my knees "up in the air" a bit, meaning poor thigh support. The bottom line was I was not as comfortable in back as in the Mazda3 or the Focus, even though the knee space in those cars (especially the Focus) was tighter than the Impreza's. The Focus' rear seat cushion seems higher than the others, which helps sit comfortably even with limited leg room. (BTW, I'm 5'9", 32" inseam)

If you want to see a truly "limo-sized" back seat in a compact wagon, check out the Elantra Touring.

I don't consider the Focus' styling to be a LOT better than the Mazda3's. The Mazda3 hatch is pretty good looking I think, with interesting character lines. Inside, it's no comparison IMO--the Mazda has a much nicer dash. One review (MT's?) of the Focus said it looked like the plastic had melted. That's a pretty good description. I could live with the Focus' interior, but I don't like it that much.

As for powertrain, I'd put the new Skyactive engine and the 6MT tranny way ahead of the Focus, not just slightly better.

Since I'm perfectly capable of turning a temperature dial, the lack of auto climate control doesn't bother me at all. I think it's kinda funny when folks talk about how great it is to row a stick shift, then have to have some computer change the temperature in the car for them. :)
    Since I'm perfectly capable of turning a temperature dial, the lack of auto" climate control doesn't bother me at all. I think it's kinda funny when folks talk about how great it is to row a stick shift, then have to have some computer change the temperature in the car for them."

That would be me; I want to concentrate on driving and not fiddling with the controls. Here in New England it is not at all uncommon to be tooling along on a bright sunny day where the OAT is say 45°F and then roll behind a mountain, or under a cloud, or into the shade cast by copse of trees, and suddenly the interior of the car gets cold, only to adjust the HVAC controls for a few minutes before rolling back out into direct sun light which forces yet another adjustment. Same thing with automatic wipers; drive along in the mist coming off a truck or other traffic, break through into the clear, roll under a cloud which is dumping rain, and then back into the spray from leading traffic.

So, my ideal car has pretty much power and automatic everything and a manual transmission. :)
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    If you want to see a truly "limo-sized" back seat in a compact wagon, check out the Elantra Touring.

I know, I own one. Want it? Rather have....well, anything else at this point. It's got all of the discomfort of a sport suspension without any of the handling advantages. It's also overweight and under powered, and the AT may as well be a 2 speed, since it barely spends any time in 3rd or 1st, needs to kick all the way down to 2nd to do any passing.

Styling tends to be pretty subjective but I just can't STAND that "grin." Give me the old 2004 styling any day. Ford's styling looks better to me. The reason I only give SkyActiv a slight advantage is because Ford managed to get more HP out of the same engine at the same compression. Mazda did a better job with the trannies, but for Joe Consumer, they'll see the HP figure and that'll be it.

I spend an hour plus at a time in the car, so that ends up being a LOT of fiddling with the climate if it's not an auto setup. Not only does Ford give you climate control but they put it in the touchscreen high up so you can pay better attention to the road. Assuming you don't bother to learn the voice commands for it. And assuming it doesn't crash and take OUT the climate control system of course. :shades: I give them credit for the idea at least, it's good for keeping one's eyes on the road.