Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Terrain Real World MPG

ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
Trying to keep the forum from getting rusty from lack of use.

On a 1100 mile trip last week I managed to average 26.5 MPG (calculated).
Not much city driving at all and terrain was fairly flat. Kept speeds at 60 MPH or below with cruise on when I could.
Not to bad with the AWD 6 CYL that has EPA highway estimate of 22MPG.
This is the other halfs daily driver and she drives under less then ideal conditions (plus the foot may be a tad heavier), but the average MPG as indicated in D.I.C. is hanging in at 23.1 for the last 5k miles or so since last reset.

Anyone else getting reasonable milage out of theirs?

Comments

• tim192tim192 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2011 Terrain and have 7200 miles on it. I have the 4 Cyl FWD SLT-2. It's rated at 32 mpg highway. However, I am getting 25.9 on average. My daily commute is 50% 60 - 75 mph highway and 50% city traffic traveling around 40 - 60 mph.
    I wonder if the larger engine would actually get me the better gas mileage due to the speeds I'm traveling. I'm guessing the 32 mpg rating was driving a constant 55 mph.
  • chet11chet11 Member Posts: 3
    My 2011 4 cyl Terrain averages 22.7 MPG with ECO or without. Long way from the 32 in their ads and 38 MPG as a high on the sticker on the car when I bought it. :cry: This is my last GMC product! Dealer says not their fault...MPG is set by EPA...EPA is not smart enough to pour one gallon of gas in car and drive it until it runs out of gas! I will go with Ford or Japan product next purchase! You are doing better than me...so that is good news for you!
    Chet
  • jlamb24jlamb24 Member Posts: 2
    2012 V6 AWD...18.4 stinking MPG...18.4!!!!!!!! It's almost laughable and I want to scream every time a commercial comes on touting the MPG .
  • cmccullcmccull Member Posts: 33
    My 2010 AWD V6 for the last 2200 miles averaged 21.4 mpg.
    This is around town, both hwy & city.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    edited December 2011
    Ours has done well also after the first 3500 miles or so on it. Does best when the tach is in the 1450~> 1500 RPM range if I can find a speed and gear that will keep it there. Also don't use auto-climate control.
  • bwall2bwall2 Member Posts: 30
    I share all of your thoughts on this disgusting vehicle. I bought it for the gas mileage - 32 mpg - and thought it might get 27-28 on the highway. I can get that when I tow it behind my motorhome with the engine off. Every time I saw that commercial, I wanted to reach out and grab those folks. I have had GM products for many years (I am 62) but also have had Toyotas and Hondas. I only wish we would have looked at the CRV - but, GMC was touting better gas mileage!
    A class action suit would be great - I think "tweeting" and Facebook would bring in lots of angry folks. Of course for me, I refuse to drive it - my wife drives it to work - I drive a Toyota Hybrid Camry (76000 miles on it) - and I get 38-41 mpg. Of course it is not made in America by GM!
    The EPA rating is not done by GM.
    GM may use the ratings for ads.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    If I may, here is some information on the fuel economy estimate process.

The fuel economy estimates are based on results of tests required by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). These tests are used to certify that vehicles meet the federal emissions and fuel economy standards. Manufacturers test pre-production prototypes of the new vehicle models and submit the test results to EPA. EPA re-tests about 10% of vehicle models to confirm the manufacturer's results. The vehicles are driven by a professional driver under controlled laboratory conditions, on an instrument similar to a treadmill. These procedures ensure that each vehicle is tested under identical conditions; therefore, the results can be compared with confidence.
    There are two different fuel economy estimates for each vehicle in the fuel economy guide, one for city driving and one for highway driving. To generate these two estimates, separate tests are used to represent typical everyday driving in both a city and a rural setting. Two kinds of engine starts are used: the cold start, which is similar to starting a car in the morning after it has been parked all night; and, the hot start, similar to restarting a vehicle after it has been warmed up, driven, and stopped for a short time.

The test used to determine the city fuel economy estimate simulates an 11-mile stop-and-go trip with an average speed of 20 miles per hour (mph). The trip takes 31 minutes and has 23 stops. About 18 percent of the time is spent idling to simulate waiting at traffic lights or rush hour traffic. The maximum speed is 56 mph. The engine is initially started after being parked overnight. Vehicles are tested at 68 F to 86 F ambient temperatures.

The test to determine the highway fuel economy estimate represents a mixture of "non-city" driving. Segments corresponding to different kinds of rural roads and interstate highways are included. The test simulates a 10-mile trip and averages 48 mph. The maximum speed is 60 mph. The test is run with the engine warmed up and has little idling time and no stops (except at the end of the test).

I hope this helps to clarify how these tests are done; while it is almost certain that the fuel economy experienced will differ from the estimate, these figures are provided for comparison shopping.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • chet11chet11 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Sarah for your comments. The problem is GM puts a sticker on my Terrain that states 26 city and 38 highway and the ads show 32 average with 600 miles a tank of gas...this car doesn't exist. I averaged 22.7 mpg city/highway. Since these mpg are set by EPA you can't take legal action on this scam. So I traded my new Terrain for the new Prius V...you know what? I am getting 43 mpg which is the figure on the sticker. Liked the V so well that I went back and purchased a Prius 2...it shows 55 mpg but I am averaging 57 mpg! I won't buy another GM product again. I cannot understand some reviews stating that they get 32 mpg on the 2012! I have talked to other Terrain customers and they are getting 18-21 mpg. So we are a Prius family (is owning 2 Prius make us a Prii Family?). Thanks for your comments but at the consumer end we want results on mpg claims and not testing procedures explained or consumer blamed for not driving correctly.
    I wish I could get rid of the Terrain - but it is worth so little (2011) that I will be stuck with it until I can again afford a new vehicle. It is interesting how the Toyota products actually do achieve what the sticker says - my 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid actually does 39-41 mpg and it has 80,000 miles on it. That miserable Terrain will do 22-23 mpg on the highway. Of course the testing that was done is accurate???? Sounds to me like GM has some kind of deal with the government - like the "bailout".

All I can do now is continue to inform people that it is a "gas hog". I will continue to post wherever I can how poorly it performs. I too will not buy another GM product! I would like to see results as well - and I don't think testing procedures and driving habits cause it to perform at such a low level.

And Sarah, if you do want to contact me (I will not go through GM's website and answer 40 questions before I can leave an email) you can contact me directly at berniewallerich@gmail.com.
    I'm not sure how or why you would compare a Terrain to a Prius. They are not even close to the same type vehicle. Most Prius drivers drive like an old lady so they will get better MPG. And, Toyoto's biggest complaint on the Prius: It doesn't get the advertised MPG. Go figure!
    On my V6 AWD I'm averaging 20.5 MPG combined hwy & city. And I drive like a maniac.I am very happy with my Terrain. :)
  • mcitymcity Member Posts: 1
    Two weeks into ownership of my 2010 SLE-2 3.0 with 25k miles, I have a fill-up confirmed average of 25.5MPG. This is all metropolitan driving; 30% city-suburban surface street, and 70% urban freeway.

I have found the best city mileage is obtained by accelerating to get to 40MPH reasonably quickly, so the trans locks. On the highway, economy drops off rapidly over 70MPH.

This vehicle is pretty heavy for the engine, so momentum is your friend on the road to decent fuel economy.
    I continue to complain about the mileage on a 2011 Terrain - 4 cyl. The best I could get was a trip this summer - 2400 miles PHL to Minneapolis...55-70 mph - no city driving at all. I got 27.3 mpg.

GMC did a consumption test when I got home - drove 86 miles - city & highway and GUESS WHAT - they said it really does 38.88 mpg! Wasn't that a great test? I guess someone has been siphoning gas out of my tank for the miles that I have driven since I can't get close to 32 mpg!

Wish I had never seen this vehicle - but now am stuck with it! Guess I need a locking gas cap!!!
  • twoyoutwoyou Member Posts: 1
    I am a Terrain owner and enjoy my vehicle. Until this purchase, I have always driven a Ford product and was looking to improve my fuel mileage when the Terrain was introduced. I do own the 4 cyl. vehicle and I did purchased it mostly for the MPG, but I am also impressed by the interior space and other basic features. I have had no problem with the crossover and enjoy driving it very much. To those that have had difficulty obtaining the maximum MPG...try driving with the "ECO" on at all times. It did take a little getting use to, but I have adjusted. I always average at least 30 mpg on the highway and close to the max in city. To those that are comparing their Terrain to a hybrid of some sort...you are not comparing apples to apples and my guess is that you paid quite a bit more for your vehicle.

I am happy with my choice to purchase a Terrain :)
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    We're so glad to hear that you're enjoying your Terrain, twoyou!
    Many more happy miles,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • amburkesamburkes Member Posts: 1
    I purchased this vehicle for the MPG, and the MPG ONLY. It is a 2011 with 20,000 miles on it. I traded a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 Crew Cab due to relocation, and my commute changing from 1 mile to 100 miles a day. In retrospect, I could have kept the giant gas guzzler I loved as it only got 2 MPG less than this miserable excuse for a fuel efficient vehicle. The only reason I purchased this vehicle was due to the 32 mpg fallacy that was printed on the window sticker. My daily commute is 98% 4 lane highway with a 65 mph speed limit, and I average 23.2 mpg. I have driven this vehicle for an uninterrupted 35 miles on a flat, Mississippi delta highway, with the cruise set to 55, and the air off in 85 degree weather, and could not touch 30 MPG, much less the 32 MPG advertised.

The worst part in all of this is that now, the trade value is next to nothing due to the current incentives placed on the vehicle. As no one in their right mind will buy this vehicle, GM has placed incentives on it that practically give it away; thus, making us practically have to give them away to get rid of them.

I can honestly say, after having this vehicle, I will never buy another GMC product again (to emphasize the significance of my displeasure, 5 of my last 8 vehicles in the last 11 years have been GM products.) GM, you either need to pull this vehicle and do some serious R&D, or brace yourselves to lose many more loyal customers.
    Yes - it is a piece of crap. The dealer did fuel consumption test on my 2011 terrain and had the nerve to tell me that it really did 38.9 mpg on their test of my vehicle! I too have had many GM products in the 47 years I have been driving - and no, there will never be another GM product. We are paying twice - considering the government bailout - what a fiasco!
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I assume you have the 4 cyl, I have seen elsewhere some get close to the EPA numbers on sticker, and of course others don't. On my 6 cyl it doesn't shift into highest gear until 56 MPH or so and I usually set cruise to 57-60 MPH for better numbers. A couple times when on a trip I have noticed MPG isn't what I would expect and after checking found it was inadvertently left in re-circ or defrost mode for HVAC, correcting that made for better numbers ( I also for some reason don't like the auto setting for HVAC)
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Good morning amburkes,

We're sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the fuel economy you are getting with your Terrain.

The fuel economy estimates are based on results of tests required by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). These tests are used to certify that vehicles meet the federal emissions and fuel economy standards. Manufacturers test pre-production prototypes of the new vehicle models and submit the test results to EPA. EPA re-tests about 10% of vehicle models to confirm the manufacturer's results. The vehicles are driven by a professional driver under controlled laboratory conditions, on an instrument similar to a treadmill. These procedures ensure that each vehicle is tested under identical conditions; therefore, the results can be compared with confidence.

The EPA's fuel economy estimates are designed to allow consumers to comparison shop. Your fuel economy will almost certainly vary from EPA's fuel economy rating. This is based on a number of factors, such as weather, road conditions, driving and maintenance habits, and the use of air conditioning. For more information on how your fuel economy can vary, or tips to improve your fuel economy, please visit "Your MPG Will Still Vary" and "Gas Mileage Tips" on www.fueleconomy.gov.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • technojunkie1technojunkie1 Member Posts: 4
    Like most Terrain Drivers I cannot get any where near the mileage displayed on the car and advertised in all the media ads. Simply put, this vehicle does not get 32 MPG on the highway. I have owned numerous vehicles, mostly GM and have ALWAYS achieved the mileage posted on the sticker and more. So what's the dealio GM? You know you have a problem. Why can't you admit it take it on the chops like Hyundai and reimburse owners of the vehicle and the Chevy Equinox? Even the dealers I spoke to warned my not to expect the mileage on the sticker. Based on my past history I thought they were fools. No more, it was me that was fooled. The service people say the same thing. They have no idea why the vehicle does not get the mileage as advertised.

It probably has something to do with government buyout. The old stand on your own two feet GM built vehicles that performed. My 2012 SLE FWD 4 Cyl is very disappointing. I have seen it get up to 28 but that's about the best I can expect.
    edited March 2013
    I agree - however, GM did a consumption test on my 2011 FWD 4 cyl and guess what? The dealer said it does 38.8 mpg! I think you need to bring to Quakertown, PA, Star GMC - they obviously know something that you or I do not know. I would like to know where the gas is going - I guess it is leaking out somewhere since I can only get 27.5 mpg under the BEST of conditions.

By the way, I never get a response from GMC on this website; guess they don't like me making fun of their poor gas mileage. I love my Toyota Camry Hybrid - 95,000 miles and it still gets 38 - 41 mpg! Too bad we bought the GMC in a weak moment - now we are STUCK with it. Nobody wants them!

The best part - GMC believed the dealer's number! Isn't that interesting!
  • roonierellaroonierella Member Posts: 1
    I reluctantly purchased my 2012 GMC Terrain SLT-2 in July 2013 and have been trying to get rid of it for months. I will never purchase another GMC. My two biggest complaints are the blind spots and the gas mileage. What a joke on the gas mileage! I have yet to have a tank of gas where I average over 27 miles (estimating high) per gallon when driving mostly on the highway. I usually average about 20 mpg, and that includes highway driving on a regular basis. I track my fuel purchases and there is no cost-benefit to owning the Terrain. The in-city mpg estimates are a joke. I put a 5-figures down-payment on my vehicle and after having it only 3 months I would have only gotten about $3,000 over what I owe on a trade-in. That was with less than 3,000 miles on it.

I regret EVER going to the GMC dealer and considering the Terrain. It will be a happy day when I no longer have to look at that car in my driveway.
    Ah yes - another satisfied Terrain owner! I share your pain - it is a worthless piece of ???.

The good news - I received a card in the mail to "test drive" a GMC and get a $50 gift card. I went right away - drove the Terrain and expressed my dissatisfaction to the salesperson (who was very nice.) I am so happy - I was able to recoup $50 of this miserable investment!

Just remember - my dealer said I get 38.8 mpg! Star GMC, Quakertown, PA - that is the place to check it out! I just can't imagine where the gas goes - guess it evaporates!!!
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I reluctantly purchased my 2012 GMC Terrain SLT-2 in July 2013 ..."

LOL
  • lefty54lefty54 Member Posts: 4
    I am puzzled as to why "Sarah" from GM Customer Service posts here? Aren't these forums for consumers? I have read a lot of consumer comments about many vehicles on Edmunds and I haven't seen other car makers reps making comments.

We don't need to hear "I'm sorry you are not satisfied....." over and over.

I would prefer if the car companies stayed off of these threads.
    I think it's great that GM customer service is on here. Most of these forums are sought out by people that aren't happy. If you can have some help by GM all the better.
    After 3 years my SLT2 V6 AWD Terrain with 46,000 miles continues to be great. I am very happy with my car. I tire of people trashing the car as junk, etc. Mine has been good so far and I am happy.
    Most happy people do not seek these forums.
    :)
  • mea5mea5 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the Terrain for almost 3 months and I never even come close to getting the MPG that GMC claims the Terrain gets. The best I have ever gotten was 23.2 and that was on a road trip with all highway miles. I used to have a hybrid escape until my husband totalled it so I know how to drive a car to maximize gas mileage. I looked for a replacement for months for a SUV or crossover with good gas mileage. I finally decided on the 2012 4cyl FWD GMC Terrain because it claimed to get 32 MPG on the highway. I typically average about 18-20 MPG. I would have NEVER purchased this car if I had known that I would never come close to the estimated MPG. I will never buy a GMC again...they are dishonest. Sign me up for the class action!
    Yes - it is true. This vehicle does not come close to the "quoted" mpg. It is a classic GM ripoff. They still advertise it this way - I can't get that kind of mileage going downhill!

It will be a happy day when I get rid of it. Unfortunately, I own the 2011 vehicle and now I am stuck until it depreciates to some number I can live with.
    Hi mea5,

I am very sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your MPG. I have provided a website that can help explain the determining factors associated with MPG. Hopefully it helps shed a little light:-) http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/factors.shtml

Crystal L-GM Customer Care
    Hi Crystal,

Why don't you tell the customer to go to Star GMC, Quakertown, PA? They did a consumption test on our 2011 Terrain and said it does 38.8 - yes, 38.8 MPG! We have asked them to tell us where the fuel goes - guess it just evaporates somewhere!

The imports actually get what is on the sticker - wonder who pays off who to get those inflated numbers on the GMC products???

Bernie - a very dissatisfied customer
    Hi Bernie,

I can understand your frustration. MPG is generally tested during optimal driving conditions. This website may help you also http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/factors.shtml. If you are unhappy with the findings of the dealer you have been working with. I would suggest visiting another dealer. If you would like me to locate another dealer and set up an appointment for you send me an email at socialmedia@gm.com "Attn Crystal' in the subject header. Please include your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, and approximate mileage on your vehicle.

Best Regards,
    Crystal GM Customer Care
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    MPG is generally tested during optimal driving conditions.

The "gasoline" used may be "optimal" but the EPA test is designed to simulate the driving environment. I don't think it's fair to say it's intended to test mpg under optimal driving conditions. Details about the test are available at that link you posted.
    Hi Crystal,

Sorry to disagree with you, but other vehicles get a whole lot closer to the EPA estimate that this vehicle. Feel free to locate another dealer; it will not make any difference other than they will be more accurate if they do a consumption test. To think STAR GMC, Quakertown, PA says it does 38.8 mpg is rather strange!

I have all the information for you - if you think it would make any difference.

Bernie
  • xljakexljake Member Posts: 1
    Looks like I am joining a group of unhappy Terrain owners. For the record, we like our Terrain, my only complaint, to date, is highway MPG. I purchased my 2012 Terrain SLT 4 banger in October 2012. Since purchasing, we (my bride & I) have driven 10600 miles and filled the tank up 31 times. I have detailed records of actual miles/total gals/MPG on each tank of gas. (No, I am not anal, I spent 35 years in field sales and habitually kept detailed records for tax purposes.)
    My average, to date, is 23.37 mpg with an absolute best MPG of 25.97 mpg (RT) and an absolute worst at 21.24 mpg.

My dealer has been supportive; my issue is with GMC customer service. They have taken a "nothing we can (will) do", "tough crap" attitude. The regional guy (jerk) went so far as to say the published MPG numbers were from EPA and not GMC suggested mileage (yet they are posted in all GMC advertising) and even suggesting that nothing was wrong with the Terrain, maybe our driving habits were the real problem or we were not buying quality gas. This got my dander up, since we only use gas from three major companies, I have purchased 15 GM vehicles since 1963 and currently own a 2000 Buick Regal V6 with over 221,000 miles which still gets 27-28 highway mpg. This is the 1st GM vehicle which did not meet my expectations and this jerk says nothing is wrong, its my fault...

I just want to share my information and learn if anyone has been able to get past the low level "rejecters" to get someone with authority, or at least, a genuine empathy with our problems. I have details; I just want someone to care enough to look at my information. So far they have been too busy saying "we understand your frustration" but not taking any time to look at my data or offer any suggestions for a resolution to the problem. xljake
  • safety9285safety9285 Member Posts: 88
    I tried to like the Terrain but I got to take a two day test drive (I know the dealer) and I could not get anywhere near the mileage estimate. I took it back after the test drive and bought another Acadia. The dealer told me the the small 4 cylinder engine, even though rated for 87 octane, just won't get the mileage on that gas. Then add in the fact that it is almost impossible to buy gas in my area with out 10% ethanol (ethanol kills gas mileage) and you are in a lose lose situation.

I have been watching this forum for a year and I have a friend who own a Terrain and one who owns an Equinox. No way, no how, does anyone get anything close to the mileage promised.

Other than that, is seems like a nice vehicle.

Don't buy if for the gas mileage.
  • technojunkie1technojunkie1 Member Posts: 4
    Checked the EPA site (See earlier postings for links) and read the test parameters and results for mileage. Turns out the average HWY speed they used is 48 MPH. With a Max of 60 MPH. So if you care to drive that slow you to can get these numbers. This looks like serious manipulation of data. Perhaps an investigation into why they would allow such slow speeds to achieve the HWY numbers is in order. Last time I looked, the national speed limit was 65 on the HWY. The numbers should at least reflect that as the average speed on the test. The questions is why do other vehicles achieve their HWY numbers at realistic HWY speeds?
    You must bring it out to Pennsylvania. We had a comsumption test done at Star GMC, Quakertown, PA - and guess what they said? It does 38.8 mpg! Not bad - I just want to know where all the gas is going - !!!

Of course the "authorities" of GM believed this and said "case closed."

We too can only get low 20's. On highway, 2200 miles - no city driving - we got 27.5....far from 32!

This is a bad deal - and GMC could care less; after all, we helped bail them out of bankrupcy - so they are now happy as can be.
  • thetwofourthetwofour Member Posts: 1
    im not trying to start anything here but from all 38 posts before me there are multiple promoting the prius and last i checked this is a terrain forum. If you hate the terrain or GM for that matter start a new thread where people want to read that. Also like sarah explained multiple times how the EPA does the testing, im hoping that it can finally be grasped but for those here we go again, GM does NOT do the testing they have ZERO control over how an outside independent organization does their job.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "... Also like sarah explained multiple times how the EPA does the testing, im hoping that it can finally be grasped but for those here we go again, GM does NOT do the testing they have ZERO control over how an outside independent organization does their job. "

OK, you made me look back at the posts. I did not find a quote from Sarah that says that GM does not do testing. The EPA does very little testing; almost all of it is done by the manufacturer according to EPA testing requirements. They then submit the results to the EPA. I can find no Internet source that says GM outsources their EPA testing.

I think you mean that GM has no control over how EPA testing is done, but that is different than saying they don't conduct the testing.

I'm interested in the topic. Do you have a link?
  • aray5aray5 Member Posts: 6
    It seems that with all the UNhappy Terrain owners on here that we could "spread the word" about it via social networking and to our GMC dealers AND GMC itself, and if we complain loudly enough then maybe we'd be heard and get something done. How did the other class action suit about low mpg get going?
    We've ALWAYS had GMC vehicles in our family and the Terrain is the ONLY one we've had issue with. We have 3 Terrains and they are ALL UNDERperforming in mpg!!!
    Yes - that sounds like a great idea. We have always had GM products - and a Toyota hybrid Camry that gets what the sticker says. 97,000 miles and it just runs and runs.

I am so tired of the 22-25 mpg - never will get close to 32 mpg.
    My original post was removed because I posted GMC's toll free phone number. My mpg is still only 23.8; my son's is still only 25; my daughter's is 24.7; and my co-workers' are still less than 27mpg. I still think that we ALL need to call GMC and our local GMC dealer(s) and report our dissatisfaction and our very similar reasons! Since I can't post GMC's phone number, you will have to go to the GMC site and click on the "Contact Us" tab. I STILL think that if the mpg numbers are posted on the sticker, then GMC is "tricking" their customers by falsely advertising something the vehicle will never be (get) and is therefore responsible.

I did get a call today from a GMC trouble shooter specialist, however, I didn't get to the phone in time and when I returned the call to GMC she was busy and she didn't try to call me back...
  • nox123nox123 Member Posts: 76
    To help clear up some of the MPG questions and concerns. I owned a 2010 4cyl Nox that was pretty consistant getting 27 mpg on road trips and 23.5 Est MPG running around town im in sales and drive all over Florioda during week.
    I could pick up anther 1-1.5 MPG when not running A/C which is a not often in Florioda. Not a bad chevy suv for the value; I had a good experience with this 2010 4 cyl NOX and GM resolved any and all warranty issues since purchased new in Oct 2009.

Last week 06.28.13 I purchased a New 2013 Terrain with the new optional 3.6 310 horse 6 speed drive line. I'm very impressed with the power after comming out of the 4cyl Nox...so far Im getting aroung 23.0 around town and up to 25.8 on one road trip; overall pretty satisfied so far with the MPG I'm tracking with this awesome New 3.6 V6 GMC....Depending on where you live and how aggresivly you drive the MPG is going to vary...If you live in in the mountains of PA you are not ever going to get the MPG I could get in Florida in the winter months with a/c off and windows open. Like some feed back from NEW GM 3.6 V6 Owners
    I disagree; I was getting an average of 24mpg around town with my 2010 4cyl Nox and always around 27-28 on road trips running A/C. I recently traded for the 2013 GMC Terrain with new 310 HP 3.6 V6 and this is harder on fuel. Getting about 20-22 around town; have not been on a road trip to advise of MPG and only have 2000 miles on engine. The power and handling for the 3.6 V6 Terrain is GREAT.
    I finally got 27mpg - twice....once on a vacation (600+ miles each way), and once on my way to the dealership to get an Auto body paint treatment (what are the chances of that happening???). Other than those times, I am still averaging avout 23-24mpg.
    Too bad - according to the dealer, Star Buick/GMC, Quakertown, PA - I get 38.8 mpg. Yes, 38.8 mpg. Of course we do not know where the gas is going since according to my records, we get around 22/23 and on a 2000 mile trip, averaged 27.8 - a far cry from the 32 mpg on the sticker.

Of course when it was tested, GM must have provided a very good auto to achieve 32 mpg.

We are still looking for where our gas is going....
    We have always kept our vehicles for 9-10 years, and I've always been fine with that. BUT I am DEFINITELY going to push for four and GONE with this one! My next vehicle will probably have a "made anywhere BUT in the USA" on its sticker!
    I agree - don't think I can wait even 4 years to make this one go away! And there will be NO more GM autos - after 44 years of owning at least one!
    You are not getting close to 38 MPG with a you 4Cyl ; I find it strange that the Quakertown dealer would even make this statement. I know the Quakertown, Allentown and Doylestown area well "lots" of hills, heavy traffic and you should be glad to get 22 mpg "Average" MPG in any of these conditions were you drive. I'm getting 20-21 "average" MPG around town in Florida running AC in a 3.6 V6 Terrain being easy / conservitive on fuel around town. Bottom line; its a small truck and taking everything into concideration the MPG is not all that bad. If your looking for 40 MPG buy a SMART Car not a mid size truck!
    Yes 23-28 MPG is about right for the 4cyl Nox / Terrain average city/ Hwy fuel mileage. I consistantly got this MPG average with my 2010 4Cyl Nox last 42 months. I felt this MPG was fairly good when I looked around at other mid size "trucks & SUV" ratings that are available.