Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

My Car Match

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited November 2011 in General
Edmunds has a tool to test your compatibility with various cars. You answer some questions (many of which may surprise you) and then we'll offer up some suggestions of what models you may want to consider.

You may be reassured (or flummoxed, lol).

Here's the link:

My Car Match

Please try it (takes about 5 minutes) and tell us how well you think the tool matched. Even better, follow the advice in this blurb and take it twice.

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    edited November 2011
    it tried to shove me into an Audi A4! The Hyundai Sonata or Buick LaCrosse came in a close 2nd and 3rd.

If I was to actually buy a new car, right now it would be a tossup between a Charger, Altima, Accord, or Fusion.

**Edit: I just tried it a second time, and this time the Hyundai Sonata came in, by a wide margin. The Sonata hybrid came in a distant #2, with the Kia Optima in #3
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    It put me mainly in 5 seat SUV's when I clearly need more.

The 6th best car was the Explorer which is good because I just bought one.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Strange! It shows my most top three compatible matches as a Jaguar XF Sedan, BMW 5-Series Sedan, and an Infiniti M Sedan.

It might be that I carry little luggage and few passengers that affects the results.
    If I were to buy new car right now, the most likely candidate would be a Buick LaCrosse CXS for my wife. For myself, a red Chrysler 300-C would be a nice candidate to replace my Mercury. I plan on keeping the DTS for the long haul. More realistically, if the Mercury was totalled or stolen, I would look for a used Lincoln Town Car or Buick Lucerne.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Mazda Miata, 79.5% compatibility. Pretty clever.

WSJ article about it, I'm quoted in the 5th paragraph:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203707504577011952538187194.html?m- od=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_6
  • colin_lcolin_l Member Posts: 591
    edited November 2011
    I honestly don't know what I would buy, LOL. Occupants would be me, wife, 4 y/o son. I am considering a mid/large sedan, mid wagon, or a midsize SUV. I have a '03 Evo right now and my wife drives a '08 Suzuki G-V 4x4. The Suzuki is fine for most things, but we really feel the pinch on space if we go camping or take a trip with 4 adults.

But I don't want a massive SUV now or ever. And if I get a midsize SUV now, the Suzuki's gas mileage isn't that great so it won't be a go-to car for any reason.

I think I would rather have a sedan or wagon, which will be more fun to drive than the Suzuki and probably be faster and/or more fuel efficient. It will be a more distinct niche. Anyway, about Car Finder now that you have some idea of my crazy priorities. :D

First attempt I chose middle occupants, middle storage, sedan/wagon/suv, <$35k. The #1 recommendation was a Kia Sorento, which was not on my short list but looks quite good. Other recommendations were also midsize SUVs and the A4 wagon. Alrighty then.

Second attempt I picked SUV and wagon only. Why see sedans if none of them made the top cut? Kia Sorento #1 again. There's the A4 wagon again. Mini Clubman Wagon made the list too. Hmm, interesting.

Third attempt I pick sedans only. #1 is now Volvo S60, yeah right. That is sooo not happening. VW CC, maybe, but probably would get Passat instead. A4 sedan. Not overly impressed! Maybe the sedans I would've expected to be on the list are over $35k.. I don't know.

I think the algorithms need a lot of work. I would strongly suggest more qualifiers before starting with the pictures. More detail on number of seats, offroad and towing use (or not), slider bar for importance of good fuel economy, and so on.
    Seems like a lot of people are being suggested Korean cars, the Genesis coupe was tied for my top suggestion as well.

I think their prices and F/E and swaying results towards their models.

You can get a DI 190hp Sorento with good-for-its-size gas mileage. Check that out, since this tool seems so certain about it. :D
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    It actually did well for me. The first 2 choices were Infinities (M and G sedans), but closely following them was the 3 series BMW that I own and love. The 5 series came in 5th (after the G37 Infinity) and then the Cadillac CTS, both of which I shopped before I ended up with the 3 series. The match scores for all 5 cars were within 1%, so I was pretty well profiled.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    This tried to put me in a Beemer or a Mitsu. Which would generally work, but there was no Mazda in the list anywhere.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    to any kind of Mitsubishi and it would be like the day the Seattle Sonics get resurrected to play in the NBA again. :shades:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    It put me in a Hyundai Sonata Turbo. Given that I own a Honda Accord, maybe that's not too far off....but I really pretty much demand to have a manual in my cars, and the Sonata turbo doesn't have one. I also demand good visibility, something the Sonata is also not known for. I also like good handling and steering, which again are areas where the Sonata is not at the top.

So, it sorta worked for me....but not really.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390
    It matched me up equally with either an Audi A5 nor a TT which are both cars I like very much but
    for fast coupes I think I'd prefer a RWD 3 series to an A5 (AWD/FWD). Likewise for a small two seater I'd definitely favor RWD. Perhaps your match-maker ought to ask which wheels we prefer driven although in my case it depends on the kind of car.

Cars I'm actually considering buying next: Audi A3 or A4 wagon (nothing wrong w AWD on a wagon), used Porsche Boxster or Boxster S (RWD doesn't get any better).

Now drive an 11 y/o Five Series which may last forever.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Seems like they could add a few criteria at the start to help narrow it down.
    edited November 2011
    like very much. It is the new SUV under development from them that will no doubt make the jump from concept to production, the PX-MiEV. It is an all-electric for the first 40 miles, then a gas engine starts up that powers electricity to all 4 wheels and the good-sized truck can then go some 450 miles. Perfect for the snowy days that come aplenty in northern Idaho.

Mitsubishi PX-MiEV concept

They added EV parking spots in my garage, apparently to get LEED Platinum certification.

So premium parking pots.

Free electricity.

Yes, free.
    Free electricity.

Yes, free.

Such a deal, I'd be psyched!

• lmartilmarti Member Posts: 16
    It matched me up with a Kia Sorento/Sportage and Hyundai Tucson/Santa Fe. I've been looking at both of those manufacturers!
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    edited November 2011
    Top choice was the Camaro coupe at 92.4%- no way would I ever own one. In second place was the Mustang, which I have considered- but not all that seriously. The only cars on the list that I've actually thought of buying were fifth(GTI) and ninth(RX-8).

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Perhaps it misread your gas mileage standards?
    I think Car Match is simply trying to find a traditional vertical to place the user into and then it pulls up existing Edmunds ratings for the top recommendations.

That's why a lot of people are seeing the same cars, I think. The Kia Sorento, for example, is rated very highly. (And it should be, I'm not arguing about that part!) But I'm not overly impressed with the individualism, selection process or ranking.

It's a decent version 1.0 effort and I want Edmunds to keep working on it-- after some more work, I think it could be a very valuable shopping tool.
  • ccappaccappa Member Posts: 29
    Okay...so I answered the questions. Which are supposed to determine my most favored qualities, for, in my case, a sedan 45K or below.

So the three top qualities were determined to be: 1. "Sportiness" (Yes); 2. "Luxury" (Yes); and 3. "Performance" (No, not even close, performance would be fifth out of the five for me. In reality, technology would be third).

Still, it nailed the first two qualities in the right order.......that's not too bad.....so far-so good.

So I hit the button to find the "best car for me", a person who, according to the Car Match(er) prioritzes Sportiness and Luxury, and is willing to spend up to 45K.

And the winner is.......

Hyundai Sonata.

???????????????????

Funny thing is.....the little bar graphs that indicate the Sonata's "qualities", don't match up at all with the bar graph that indicates my preferred "qualities".

Second place is the Volvo S60 T6. That graph matches up pretty well, and yeah, that makes more sense. Both with the graphs, and in real life.

Third place is another Sonata, the hybrid. Again, that makes no sense; doesn't match up at all with my graph.

Fourth, is the Audi A4, OK, makes sense. But after that, it actually goes downhill from there. Hyundai Elantra, Lincoln MKZ, Kia Optima, Lexus HS 250, Buick LaCrosse and a slew of other unlikely candidates rank above the Infiniti G37, which is around 20th place, despite the fact that its graph matches up almost perfectly with mine.

Car Match needs work. Something ain't working right.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Maybe Hyunkia had a role in this configurator? :shades:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Or maybe more people need to take a second look a them. :P
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    I drive one. I'm trying to get out of it. Sorry, they're nice appliances, but I don't like appliances. :shades:
    Hmmm...that's a heck of a coincidence :shades:
    edited December 2011
    I'll let you know when Kia flops one in my driveway so I can talk about it every day. :D

I have two friends who met their mates through an online match service. One couple just got married but the other couple has been together a little bit long that I've been driving my '99 Quest.

You just never know how or where you're going to find your dream car.
    You never know what happens at corporate :shades:

I just took the survey again - selected price as no object as I won't be buying new anyway. It says I prefer "mileage, sportiness, luxury", which sounds right - although when my E55 gets 14mpg in town that seems hard to imagine. It lists my #1 choice as a 5er GT (ugh), #2 Audi TT (no thanks), #3 Audi TTS (never seen one before), #4 Alpina B7 (if Edmunds wants to give me one I'll take it), #5 S-class, and then a smattering of Germans before an Infiniti M37 comes around at about #13 or something. Interesting.
    Funny that mileage pops up if price is no object.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    hmmm... yeah, I definitely smell something here. Hyunkia came up as 5 of my top 6 recommendations, although I predominately picked vehicles that were RWD/AWD during the questioning.

Volvo S60 at #2 and Audi A4 at #7 are the only two I would ever think about, yet still wouldn't buy (not new, anyway). No bimmer on the list anywhere. Very disappointing "tool" guys ... unless it was intended as a marketing tool, in which case, good job!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

It lists my #1 choice as a 5er GT (ugh)

Filing that one for later use.

Just kidding. ;)
    Funny that mileage pops up if price is no object.

Probably because it affects range. Who wants to have to stop for gas every 5 days?

Either give it a big tank, or at least decent mileage so you can drive a couple of weeks between fill-ups.

Time is valuable to those price-no-object buyers.
    Do they use consumer reviews? Editor reviews?

Perhaps the Koreans have good scores and that's what has been putting them on a lot of people's lists.
    I don't know if I'd want that or an X6...at least with the latter, I would have an excuse to drive like a jerk :shades:

Most Euro highline cars have a large tank, to negate the mileage penalty. My car has a 21 gallon tank, which at 24-25mpg easy average on the open road, gives it a nice range for a V8 capable of very high speeds.
    I like that ... my van holds 20 or 21 gallons, depending upon what source you believe, and with 27+mpg on trips I can break 500 per tank if I feel risky.

See, Toyotas aren't always boring. :D
    If running the car on fumes is excitement, Toyota has it.

Just think of the ranges we could have on those tanks with diesel.
    Isn't VW advertising the Passat can go 700 miles on a tank? I wish...

I want a SkyActiv Miata just so I don't have to fill up every 240 miles.

I could change my driving habits and start hyper-miling, but then why own a Miata in the first place? ;)
    I've never hyper miled, probably never will. The E55 is the most efficient (highway driving anyway) car I have ever owned, that might say something.

A nice Bluetec E could work for me, as I get older and keep the current car for awhile, it might be the eventual replacement. Same huge cruising range, and some torque.
    I already theorized that. :)

I think it picks a vertical segment-- sometimes very badly as others have pointed out-- and then bangs down the list of pre-existing Edmunds ratings.

Hyundai, Kia, BMW and Audi have very high ratings here. I'm not going to argue as to whether they should, but I think that's why they are high on the Car Match results.
  • ccappaccappa Member Posts: 29
    I could buy that, if the bar graph that characterize the Sonata's "qualities" (as judged by Edmunds) matched up better with the bar graph that characterized my preferred "qualities".

But they don't match up very well. At all. And the Edmunds judgment of the Sonata, as expressed in that "qualities" bar graph seems pretty accurate to me, from what I've heard and read.

Would you consider the Sonata a better choice than, say, an Infiniti G37, for someone who has up to 45K to spend, and who prioritizes "Sportiness", "Luxury", and "Performance"?
    edited December 2011
    No.

However, if you remove the badges, a lot of people might be fooled. :shades:

I haven't played with this for a while. Just went through and picked two people and lots of gear. When the SUV and truck option came up, I zapped those and picked hatchbacks, minivans and wagons. I said price didn't matter. So My Car Match said I preferred MPG, Performance, then Technology. I guess performance got in there since I crossed off SUVs and trucks?

When choices came up I went for mpg. If the mpg was similar, I went for the better warranty.

First choice was a Kia Soul. Volvo V50 and XC90 were next (I have a long grudge about Volvos, so I'd probably have to skip 'em).

Haven't driven one, but did consider the Soul the last time we went tire kicking. Minivans were 4 or 5 points below, and the Prius was in the 86th percentile. The xD wasn't on the map, but the Elantra Touring was (but we liked the last generation better than the current one).

So, it got our interests in there and offered up some that weren't on the radar. Like the GTI, which keeps nagging at my subconscious. Oh, another Outback was in the low 80s.

Too many choices if 80% or better is good enough for you.
    If someone can't differentiate a badgeless FWD 4 banger Sonata from a badgeless RWD/AWD 6cyl G37, they need to be stuck in a Yaris :shades:
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Plugged in my preferences, and the #1 recommendation was .... wait for it ....

Honda CR-Z!

(yeah, I thought the same thing, too)

#2 was the Mitsu Lancer Sportback and #3 was the Mazda Speed3.

Of course, I put in a price cap of $25K, so I suppose I ought not be too surprised.
    ...and it recommended the Jaguar XF as my number one suggestion followed by a BMW 5-Series and an Infiniti G37. :confuse: The Cadillac DTS was at number 5! :surprise:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    OK... so #1 is a 2-seat hybrid and #3 is a gas-guzzling sportwagon. Yeah, makes perfect sense. :confuse:

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

14 mpg on premium? I hope you have a gas card with rebates.

Or maybe you don't drive as many miles as I do. We road trip a lot, so my 2 cars probably do 16-18k miles/year. I'm on a first name basis with every gas station in MD.

I'd love diesel range, but diesel cost is KILLER here in MD, $4.20 vs. $3.44 at the same station. :sick:
    I already theorized that

You did but I was sort of asking the hosts if that's indeed one of the inputs for their model.
    Sorry, don't know the details of the algorithm. I do know it's not ad driven.
    Straight up bribe-driven, then?

That's a joke. :P
    I don't do a huge mileage. I live close to work and can actually walk to many amenities. And I do have the Costco Amex too.

Around here diesel seems to pace the price of premium gas. For something like an E class which needs it, that makes the price a non-issue.
    If I drove your car at my mileage pace, the Costco gas rebate alone would equal the GDP of a small country. :D
This discussion has been closed.