Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2012

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
2012 owners... let us know how you're doing!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• oldburbnewcx9oldburbnewcx9 Member Posts: 53
    The 2012 Elantras will likely not have enought miles on them to provide a meaningful MPG result. We have already had this discussion on 2011 models. It seems that we will be repeating the problem and discussion here. Since 2011 and 2012 models are the same design, there should be a 2010 and earlier grouping and a 201 and later grouping.
  • kate007124kate007124 Member Posts: 6
    Posting this message out of much and disappointment and frustration....

In July, I traded my 2009 Mitsbushi Eclipse for a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. The decision to trade-in my eclipse was for the soul fact that the car was not getting the ideal gas milage (~24 mpg out of EPA range of 20-28 mpg) for my long (all highway) commute to work and back. After much research, I decided to purchase the Elantra due to its (claimed) great gas milage, features, and price versus that of the competitors. BIG MISTAKE!

After owning the vehicle for a little over a month and putting 2000 miles on it, I notice the vehicle was averaging about 26 mpg on each tank. After contacting the dealership about my concerns, I was told to wait till my first oil change to reflect the change in gas milage. The first oil change came and I did notice an improvement in my gas milage between 2-3 miles, put definitely nothing in the CLAIMED 29-39 range. I decided to contact Hyundai about my concerns regarding in which I was told to wait till the car was broken in at about 5000-6000 miles.

After 6000 miles I was still averaging about 27 mpg (all on ECO mode). I, again, contacted Hyundai customer service about my concern. Their response was to do have a fuel MPG test and to have the vehicle inspected by a local dealership. The fuel MPG test, released by Hyundai, requires you to have record the miles traveled and amount of fuel used five times while going to the same gas station and using the same pump. Again, I was still consistently getting between 25-27 mpg. I had the dealership, also, inspect the vehicle for any issues and run a diagnostic test for any issues--- none were found. All this information was then faxed over to Hyundai customer service.

So... I just got off the phone with Hyundai customer serivce and they are saying that the car is in working order and there is nothing they can do to assist me.

So why am I getting such poor gas milage that isnt even in the working range of the EPA estimates? I have tried every recommended way to enhance mpg and nothing seems to improve it. I was getting decent gas milage (in the EPA range) for my Eclipse so I really dont think it is in my driving style.

I see that forum that others are having the same problem. I dont see how so many people are driving this vehicle 'wrong' .

I am so disappointed in my purchase and wish I would have gone with a competitor that lives up to its ratings. Hyundai is doing nothing but false advertising this vehicle. I hope to see a class action lawsuit in the future.

If you are thinking about buying a 2012 Elantra and want great gas milage... DONT!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Just wondering, would those 201's be rated at something like... 2 horsepower (if there's 2 horses pulling the chariot/wagon)? And would it be Miles per Bushel (of oats) vs. Miles per Gallon?

;)

I agree on your point, but Kirstie explained her reasoning... and she's the Host.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Yes, good point... BUT, at some point it will be more relevant, and it will be interesting to see if 2012 MPGs improve after a realistic break-in period. Sometimes break-in *is* the only issue.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• g2iowag2iowa Member Posts: 123
    Any information offered here is only as good as the detail provided. So posters need to provide all the pertinent information. Which specific vehicle they have (e.g., base manual transmission versus loaded Limited with automatic transmission). How many miles they have driven? What type maintenance they have done? Things like the type of fuel they are using, esp. if using any ethanol (which will decrease fuel economy). Are they buying branded fuel or the cheapest gas they can find? And lots of info on the type of driving done. How much is highway vs city? What type city driving (a lot of stop and go, lots of idling, etc.)? How much of time using AC? Are they using the Eco feature? Are they religious about ensuring proper tire pressure? Are they routinely driving with heavy loads (e.g., mostly just driver vs driver & 2 or 3 passengers)? Etc.
  • majorbenmajorben Member Posts: 16
    You're correct. The devil is in the details.

My car is a 2012 Elantra Limited - 17" wheels with automatic transmission

Current Odometer Reading: 3400

Last calculated mpg: 29.7

# of people in the car other than the driver: 0

tow package: no

any other additional weight in the car: no

driving trips: commuter - 70% highway / 30% local

# of stop signs for round trip: 2

# of stop lights for round trip: 4

# of inclines for round trip: 4, which means that there are 4 downgrades for round trip.

air pressure in tires: 32 psi all around

Fuel: Mobil or Shell, 87 Octane w/ 10% ethanol

A/C use: not since the summer, and used only on return trip home from work

ECO: Always On

Maintenance done so far: None, dealer recommendation of 5000 miles for 1st oil change

Did I miss anything????
  • rudy66rudy66 Member Posts: 26
    Major,
    I get better mileage with the eco off and the car is much more fun to drive.
    Rudy
    For your highway miles, how fast are you driving? Are you using cruise control?
  • dinamo1975dinamo1975 Member Posts: 12
    I bought my 2012 GLS on June 28 and have almost 9000 miles. I am driving every day to work 40 miles one way (36 highway and 4 citi). I am using the same gas station and the same pump and getting between 32 and 33 miles. I was expecting around 35-36 but even with these numbers I completly satisfied. Nice car and fun to drive. My friend is getting the same mpg on 2011 Honda Civic.
  • mb21784mb21784 Member Posts: 5
    Take a look a fueleconomy.gov. Real world miles as shared by drivers for 18 of the 2005 model and 18 of the 2012 models.

2005 Hyundai Elantra, automatic: Rated 24MPG City, 29MPG HWY
    average combined as reported by 18 drivers: 28.3MPG

2012 Hyundai Elantra, automatic: Rated 30MPG City, 40MPG HWY
    average combined as reported by 18 drivers: 28.8MPG

That extra 11 miles per gallon highway seems to be missing from everywhere but the sales pitch.

How long have the 2005 Elantra owners been driving their cars? How many tanks are their data based on?

Same question for the 2012 Elantra owners.
    rudy66,

Thank you... I've tried turning ECO off a couple of times during the past week, and I did notice a difference in engine response, but I have yet to turn ECO off for a whole tank. I think that I will try it on my next fill up.

If it is true that one does get better mileage with ECO off, could it mean that something is wrong with ECO or should ECO be used only in certain trips, i.e. ECO off for highway driving, and ECO on for local driving? Just curious...
    g2iowa,

For about 11-13 miles on my highway commute (one way), the speed limit is 65, so I've been doing between 65-70. For the remaining 4-6 miles (one way), the speed limit is 55, so I've been doing between 60-65. Any slower would be dangerous because with the way people drive here in NY, you run the risk of being driven off the road, if you know what I mean.

For the whole highway part of my commute, I do not use cruise control. There are just too many hills (one of which is too steep). I do not believe cruise control would help in improving my gas mileage because cruise control does not and cannot adjust for hills until you are already on those hills. And in those cases when cruise control does kick in going uphill, the engine rpms are increased dramatically, thus reducing gas mileage.

Just so you know, I have tried cruise control in my Elantra during the late summer months this year, and the same thing happens, and I did not see an improvement in mpg.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hi folks,i just returned from a over 400 mile roundtrip from where i live in hallandale beach,fla to orlando and back and thought i would give a mpg update for my 2012 elantra gls base model.the car has currently 2000 miles on it..with about 90% highway driveing on this trip and with the a/c going full blast and according to the trip computer on the car i averaged 46 mpg. better than the highway mpg estimate on the sticker which is 40...by the way,this car just floats down the highway and is one of the best rideing and handleing cars i have ever driven.i realize that some people are not getting the advertized mpg but i think it probably just depends from car to car and how you drive it as well.
    What was your speed on that trip? Also did you use cruise and/or Eco on the trip? Is this automatic or stick? Thanks.
    edited November 2011
    i was doing about 65 mph on the highway with the cruise control and eco mode switched on.my highway mpg are very good on this car however,the best city mpg i have achieved thus far is about 26 mpg which isn't that far off from the advertised 29 mpg.Also keep in mind that my city driveing is 90% within 5 miles from where i live and it's mostly stop and go all the time.by the way,it's a auto tranny.
    Thanks for the info but I am tired of suggestions that those of us who get bad mileage don't know how to drive. I get over 40 on pure highway driving as well. Now you should drive in traffic similar to New York or any big city and see how you do.
    Dolf
    Are you just going by the trip computer to come up with the mpg number? What was the mpg number using the actual number of gallons of gas pumped into your Elantra and the total miles driven on that gas?
    i started with 10 gallons of gas so i could do a more accurate mpg reading.i filled up near to where i live then headed up to orlando.i reset my odometer then started the drive.car was bone empty when i filled it up with 10 gallons of gas.this is a very easy calculation so you do the math..440 miles total driven before car needed to be filled up again.440 miles divided by 10 gallons of gas=44 miles per gallon.these calculations are based on about 90% highway driveing.by the way,the trip computer in the car was very accurate.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Steve you reported 46mpg in your previous post about this trip. Now it's 44mpg.

Which was it? :confuse:
    it's 44,my mistake..i'll be takeing another road trip up there around christmas time so i'll report my mpg once again from that trip....
    edited November 2011
    Thanks Steve. :)

I don't own an Elantra nor am I affliated with Hyundai in any way. No horse in this race. :D Here is what I verify if having mileage problems:

1. Quality of fuel (85 vs. 87 vs. 89 octane | 10% ethanol or no ethanol)
    2. Vehicle load (your total vehicle weight vs. dry curb weight)
    3. Tire pressure (cold tire pressure at 33-35 psi)
    4. Driving speed and acceleration (at speed limit and engine revs)
    5. Driving conditions (wind, hills/mountains, heavy traffic. etc.)

87 octane, no ethanol fuel runs best for me. I buy name-brand fuel when I can. I keep my vehicle weight to a minimum - nothing unneeded in the trunk or passenger cabin. I set my cold tire pressure at, or a touch above, the manufacturer's recommended psi. If I drive over the speed limit or rev the engine a lot, I expect a mileage penalty. Hilly terrrain and heavy traffic reduce my mileage up to 30%.

Best of luck!
  • mikeystoy5mikeystoy5 Member Posts: 56
    I agree on what your saying. The only thing that I do different is instead of "air" in my tires, I use nitrogen. The hot and cold temps. that everyone has doesn't effect the tire prssure like air does. Air increases with heat, but loses in the cold, or shall we say the air molecules expand an contract acording to temp. an driving conditions. It use to drive me nuts in the winter with air and you car has the TPMS. If it goes below 25.7 PSI, the TPMS light comes on, especially if you don't drive it everyday or 2. Just my 2 cents.
    I am confused about your method of calculating mpg. My reading of this is the gas you used to drive 440 miles was 10 gallons to refill at the end of your trip plus the amount of gas used to fill your tank from 10 gallons to full at the beginning of your trip. Please be more specific about your methods if my analysis of your method is incorrrect. I cannnot see how you measured starting with 10 gallons in your tank and how you ran your car to bone dry (not possible).
    You lost me on your methodology. I'd have no idea how I'd ever know my tank had exactly 10 gals of fuel in it unless I ran out of gas and then added 10 gals. But running out of gas is a very bad thing to do anymore to modern cars. [Not sure I've seen anything in the manual on the "reserve". Many models have the low fuel light kick in at 1.5 or 2 gals left in tank. So if you added 10 gals when low fuel light kicked in you may actually have as much as 12 gals in tank.] Thinking the way most people do the actual fuel used method is to fill the tank up until the gas pump auto-shut off kicks in. Then stop. Reset trip odo to 0. Drive your distance. Refuel tank from same pump and fuel till auto-shut off kicks in. Then divide miles driven by gals added. This gives the best way to approximate actual fuel economy achieved for that one tank.
    i find myself haveing to repeat this over and over to make you understand annoying.so hear i go again...read my lips people.........I FILLED UP MY GAS TANK BEFORE STARTING OUT ON MY TRIP WHICH WAS EMPTY WITH THE FUEL LIGHT ON...I PUT IN THE TANK ACCORDING TO THE GAS PUMP AT THE STATION WITH EXACTLY 10 GALLONS OF FUEL.I THEN RESET MY ODOMETER TO 0 AND BEGAN MY JOURNEY.WHEN I GOT BACK HOME ON THE SAME TANK I LEFT WITH THE TRIP ODOMETER SAID 440 MILES AND THE GAS TANK WAS EMPTY.440 MILES DIVIDED BY 10 GALLONS OF GAS=44 MILES PER GALLON..WHAT PART OF THIS EQUATION ARE YOU CONFUSED WITH??..WITH ALL DO-RESPECT IT IS SIMPLE MATH...THANKS.....
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Unfortunately you're not using an accurate method of measurement as you can't say with precision how much gas was in the tank before you added the initial 10 gallons.

The generally accepted way to measure fuel economy is to fill up the tank until it's full. Don't overfill/top off. Write down your odometer reading. Then go on your trip. When you need to refuel or when you're done with the trip, fill up again. Now, take the miles driven (current odometer reading - the reading you wrote down) and divide it by the number of gallons it took to fill up at the end of the trip. That provides an easy & accurate fuel economy numbers that a consumer can get.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    i'll keep that in mind when i do my next road trip,thanks for the info....
    edited November 2011
    A couple of things for the OP to try on the next trip (at Christmas):

* Reset the average mpg meter at the pump before the trip and at the pump at the end of the trip, so you can compare the computer's mpg to actual (measured) mpg. Would be interesting to know how they compare.
    * Measure mpg as explained in these recent posts, i.e. fill to first click-off both times, and if feasible use the same pump at the same station both times. If that isn't possible, the single-tank average might be inaccurate due to differences in pumps.

(Posted before I saw #30)
    i find myself haveing to repeat this over and over to make you understand annoying.so hear i go again...read my lips people.........I FILLED UP MY GAS TANK BEFORE STARTING OUT ON MY TRIP WHICH WAS EMPTY WITH THE FUEL LIGHT ON...I PUT IN THE TANK ACCORDING TO THE GAS PUMP AT THE STATION WITH EXACTLY 10 GALLONS OF FUEL.I THEN RESET MY ODOMETER TO 0 AND BEGAN MY JOURNEY.WHEN I GOT BACK HOME ON THE SAME TANK I LEFT WITH THE TRIP ODOMETER SAID 440 MILES AND THE GAS TANK WAS EMPTY.440 MILES DIVIDED BY 10 GALLONS OF GAS=44 MILES PER GALLON..WHAT PART OF THIS EQUATION ARE YOU CONFUSED WITH??..WITH ALL DO-RESPECT IT IS SIMPLE MATH...THANKS.....

You have to repeat because your first explaination was very confusing. You are correct it is annoying. Your second explaination was clearer except the ALL CAPS which makes for difficult reading. I was not confuesd about the equations only your explaination. I am not certain about the amount of respect but it is simple math. I have very little confidence your method provides accurate measurement of MPG. It is certainly one I would not have used.
    Boys, Boys, so touchy. The point is, the mpg discussion is about city driving, stop and go, not highway driving at a steady pace with cruise control. As I said before, the gentleman with 44 gallons --- we won't hear from him again when he uses a whole tank with nothing but stop and go traffic.
    Dolf
    Added gas for 3rd time. Only regular unleaded (no ethanol). With colder weather (mostly 30-50 deg F), I don't let her get below half a tank. Went 194.7 miles on 5.917 gals for 32.91 mpg. Trip computer had calculated it at 30.3 mpg. This was about 50% highway/50% city-suburb, but no trip was more than 10 miles one way. And had passenger about half the time. Highway driving was in city-suburb area, so stayed at or under 65 mph. No A/C. Windows up all the time. No cruise control. No ECO. Tires at 32 psi. Now have about 570 miles on the engine. Coming from the car traded in which got about 22 mpg and used premium fuel, I'm pleased. But will admit I'm really trying to max out the fuel economy in a way I never did before.
  • chriss1241chriss1241 Member Posts: 2
    Just leased a 2012 Elantra about a week ago. My regular commute is about 77% highway and 23% city (32 miles one way). I am getting over 37 MPG combined. I am going to verify this next time I fill up and calculate it on my own. My tire pressure is whatever the dealers put it at and I am using the ECO mode. the highway speed limit is 65 mph for half the time, than 60 mph for the other half, I normally do 5 MPH over. I am not using cruise control yet, but will be after 1000 miles

I am very satisfy with the car so far.
    The point is, the mpg discussion is about city driving, stop and go, not highway driving at a steady pace with cruise control.

Huh? Isn't it about all kinds of driving--however people may drive their Elantras? Some people do drive their cars at a steady pace on the highway, with cruise control. And some do stop-and-go city driving. And some do both. And everything in between.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    You will not get the best fuel economy in any new car until it has at least 5,000 miles on it. The engine is tight and trying to force it to do better will damage it. Just drive it easy, don't hold a steady
    speed for long periods of time, vary the speed for the first 1,000 miles, regardless of what the manual says. No fast starts and no panic stops.

When you do a fuel test top off the tank. Note the ODO setting. Then the next time you fill up return to the same gas station and fill from the same pump you used previously. It's the only way to get an accurate number. If your car has a mpg rating on it's instrument display they are usually wrong.
    The April winner of the Power Ball jackpot told the news media he was going to buy a 2012 Elantra as soon as he could. His jackpot was $27-million after taxes. :) If I won that much money I would buy one of each style: Tucson, Elantra, and Kia Soul.
    why not the whole hyundai dealership while he's at it...
    fowler3,

You are correct. This is the only reliable way to get a reasonably accurate reading on mpg. And I also agree with your comments on the 5K breakin, driving it easy and varying the speed for the first 1000 miles. Time will tell.
    Personally, if I won that lottery, I wouldn't even come close to going near a Hyundai dealership :) .
    edited December 2011
    How about an Equus? The one with recliners in back. Need a chauffeur also of course ;)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    An interesting article I stumbled across yesterday. I wonder if a group like this actually has any weight to throw around to help those who are experencing poor FE with the Elantra?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/02/consumer-group-cries-foul-on-hyundais-40-mpg-- claim/
    The Jan 12 issue of MT has their COTY results. They publish actual FE results only for the finalists, not the contenders. Civic, Focus, and Rio are just contenders, so no FE results. But Elantra, Veloster, and Sonic are finalists. Their respective EPA numbers are 29/40, 28/40, & 29/40 mpg. MT's actual observed fuel economy results for these tests were:

Elantra (with 6-speed manual): 30.5 mpg
    Veloster (with 6-speed manual): 29.1 mpg
    Sonic (1.4L turbo with 6-speed manual): 28.3 mpg

So the larger Elantra with a larger engine (1.8L vs 1.6L & 1.4L) had better fuel economy (and quicker acceleration!) than the two smaller cars. Oddly, MT criticizes the Elantra's FE but praises the Sonic's ("it [manual transmission's long gearing] helped return 28.3 mpg during our hard-driving test") and is silent on the Veloster. Go figure!
    I haven't heard of Consumer Watchdog. Quick Wiki seems to indicate they are a left-wing/progressive group that doesn't like business. Seem rather political. Will be interesting to see if Consumer Reports looks into this and does some more of their independent testing. And if EPA does anything.
    edited December 2011
    MT's Jan 12 issue also shows they've added a '12 Limited to their test fleet. They say they'll explore "whether there's any real-world truth to the 40-mpg highway EPA figure." So far, MT's Elantra has put on 4,687 miles and averaged 28.9 mpg.
    Hyundai should voluntarily ask the EPA to re-test the Elantra, just to get this behind them... one way or another.

While they're at it, Consumer Watchdog should go after Buick:

Mileage isn't great. Government ratings of 21 mpg in town, 32 on the highway, 25 in mixed use are OK. But Buicks in general seem to do worse than other cars in the Test Drive regimen of suburban slog and bustle, with a few wide-open throttle moments tossed in for fun. Verano managed 17 mpg.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/story/2011-12-01/buick-vergan- o-test-drive-james-healey/51553716/1
    edited December 2011
    I had to laugh at Healey's mileage comments on the Verano. He quotes, "5.88 gallons in 100 miles". My first question: You drove exactly 100 miles? Not 99.9, not 100.1, but exactly 100.0 miles. You used exactly 5.88 gallons? How do you know? Because the trip computer said so?

I have the exact same engine in my Lacrosse (400 pounds heavier) and average close to 25 mpg in mixed driving. I calculate miles driven versus gallons burned. My trip computer reads a touch low on mpg (0.5 mpg low). Trip computers are better than they use to be but cannot be your sole source of data when reporting or the report has low validity.

It's gotten to the point with Healey and USAToday that I read it for a good laugh. He has zero credibility. Healey is one guy, beasting a brand new car, getting F150-like mileage, and then reporting it. A joke.
    If you've seen multiple Healy reviews you should realize that he notes the number of gallons consumed in 100 miles as a point of reference. It's a simple calculation based on the mpg he achieved in his tests.

A review is credible to me if it's clear how the car was driven. Healy at least makes it clear how the car was driven. I've seen many posts in the mpg discussions in Town Hall that don't give much info at all on how the car was driven. I'll take Healy's reviews over those any day.

Also, I'll bet your driving pattern is a lot different than Healy's.
    edited December 2011
    Most FE tests are not accurate the first 4000 to 5000 miles because the engines are new and tight, they have to be driven at least 4000 miles first. Even then, how you drive, the weather, the temperature, the altitude, etc. plays a part. Some people get over 40mpg by driving very cautiously. When you achieve 40mpg, remember, you will not get that every time you hit the road because you go back to bad driving habits. Hyundai did not set the FE numbers, they are EPA estimates.

I have found the only way to get EPA estimates is to drive at max 60mph highway and not let the tach get above 3000rpm on the highway or in the city. Often achieving much higher true
    FE when I stick to this rule. 2001 Mazda Protégé LX with EPA estimate 25/30, always averaged 36mpg
    on trips. You cannot have performance and low FE at the same time.
    Healey is a joke of an automotive journalist. I've been laughing at his columns for decades. I'm a manufacturing engineer who spent many years in the light vehicle automotive systems. Test validity and data source are in contention here.

Feel free to use Healey's reviews as your standard of refereence. When a guy reports 5.88 gallons burned? Yeah, "I drove exactly 100.0 miles, the trip computer read exactly 17.0, so 100.0 divided by 17.0 = 5.88 gallons burned!"

Genius!
    I use Healy's reviews and other reviews of cars from a variety of sources as points of information, not as a standard of reference. I find it useful to get different perspectives on cars. I don't always agree with Healy's opinion on cars but I think he has a more practical approach to reviewing cars than some of the automotive mags that focus mainly on one aspect of the car, e.g. handling or acceleration.

I think you are misunderstanding the comment re gallons used per 100 miles and how it was calculated. I tried to explain it in my previous post.