Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2012

Comments

• g2iowag2iowa Member Posts: 123
    Have you studied your tachometer and the AT at various speeds? Seems like this car is geared for max fuel economy in the 35-65 mph range. You have to get into overdrive gears (5th & 6th) quickly, stay there, and maintain steady speed (preferably using cruise control).

The mileage seems to crater at speeds higher than 65 mph and lower than 35 mph. So when your AVG speed was 65 mph, I'm assuming you spent some time above that and maybe in the mid-70 mphs? You won't get anywhere near 40 mpg at 75 mph or higher. Your FE starts dropping significantly at 65-70 mph.

Your 51 mph avg result is the most interesting one. And the one you achieved the highest FE result, which would be expected. Don't know if you had passengers, luggage, what type fuel you're using, etc. IF ethanol, expect 3-4% decrease in FE.
  • stevens5882stevens5882 Member Posts: 5
    I have about 5,300 miles on my elantra. I drive about 90% highway and 10% BUSY city traffic (lots of lights and stop and go).

With the weather in Ohio getting much nicer (60+ degrees), I have noticed an increase in MPG, my last tank I got 36.8 MPG calculated (the computer said 41.2 MPG, my computer is routinely off by 3-4 MPGs). At the beginning of that tank, the computer was calculating as high as 49 MPGs.

I had been averaging in the 33-34 MPG range(calculated).
  • ronnomadronnomad Member Posts: 11
    The simple answer to your question is yes! I do watch the tach. In doing my research before the purchase, I was drawn to the Elantra because of the 6 speed AT (as compared to the 4 speed in the Corolla). Although more complex, I equated the 6 speed to more efficient in gear selection and overall economy. At 65MPH, in 6th, I would guess the engine is turning around 2100 RPM.

On the 65MPH trip there were two of us in the car but we were carrying some extra luggage (maybe 100 Lbs.) but the speed was relatively consistent. On the 51MPH trip there were three of us but no luggage so the weights were comparable. Since the 51MPH trip did follow different routes on the round trip, what I should have done was check the economy each way. I am sure the return trip (although longer) was at a higher speed.

Maybe I'm looking at this from the wrong perspective. I should mention that my other vehicle is another brand with about 125,000 miles on it; is a turbocharged 4 cyl with a 5 speed MT that requires 91 octane. Because of the way it is geared, I would say that at 65MPH this vehicle is turning about 3150 RPM. So, when I compare the driving between the two at similar speeds, it just seems logical that the Elantra should be getting significantly better economy. But it doesn't. On similar trips (2) to Tucson (the 51MPH average trip), this car got between 30 - 32.5 MPG. And, I drive this vehicle a lot harder (read faster).

I guess that I just feel, that considering the overall driving conditions in the Elantra, the fuel economy should be higher.

So, going back to my original query, is there a factory authorized adjustment that will boost MPG?

I must admit that, if I was looking to purchase today instead of last June, I would probably go for diesel. In comparing rated fuel economy and cost of fuel, it didn't make sense back then (diesel would have had to have double the economy). But, with cost of regular gas rising significantly faster than diesel, diesel would appear to be the more economical choice
    What type gasoline are you using? Ethanol? Keep watching your average MPH calculation.

I wish we had more posters here with the manual transmission. Seems like nearly all here are AT not MT. My '12 GLS turns over at 1500 RPMs at 25 mph in 4th (direct drive), 35 mph in 5th (an overdrive), and 45 mph in 6th (deeper overdrive). I find it fascinating that the AT won't go into 5th at 25-30 mph even when I use the manumatic feature. Same for getting her into 6th at 35-40 mph. Nice thing about an MT is that you can put her in whatever gear you want as long as their is enough engine torque for the resulting RPMs.
  • crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    Comments on tach are right on IMO. Keeping the tach below 2000 in town, with AT or manual, will maximize city MPG. We have 2012 Sonata GLS and the city MPG is much improved with RPMs <2000 and when at 50 MPH RPMs are also lowest and MPG highest. Maximizing City MPG also results in higher "average" MPG since the highway MPG is more consistent and less subject to variables. Our 24 in town and 36 (at 65-70 MPH) on highway is right on the EPA estimates and the average is weighted by the % of city/highway. Also your comment on MPG at speeds over 65-70 is exactly what we see. 15% more speed (with more RPMs obviously) results in 10-15% lower MPG. Good driver training comments to getting the best MPG from cars that will deliver IF driven the correct way. Thanks for the comments.
  • islandtractorislandtractor Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2012
    Popular Mechanics just addressed exactly this issue with the 2012 Elantra by using a fairly sophisticated road test to check EPA mileage figures. They got slightly HIGHER numbers for miles per gallon than the official figures. Check out the article in the April 2012 edition. Final numbers from a real world 133 mile highway cycle and a 60+ mile urban/suburban cycle were 34.1mpg city and 47.6mpg highway at 55 or 39.3 highway at 70mph. For comparison they tested the Ford Focus SPE at the same time and got 34.3/47.5/33.5mpg respectively. Not sure if this test is on their website but it is in the print edition on the stands now.
  • aptmanaptman Member Posts: 4
    Look, I read peoples comments before I bought my 2012 Elantra Limited, I saw that many were not pleased with the gas mileage, I have had 2 hyundai's before so I ignored those comments...here is the truth as I experienced it...first, I do totally love my car, and I would buy one again...BUT...the is definetly a gas mileage issue...I have 1800 miles on my Elantra and I DO drive with a lead foot, but here is the thing I dont understand...my 2010 Elantra averaged 26-27 mpg and I also drove that with a lead foot...my 2012 gets 23-24 mpg, the computer always reads a couple miles per gallon more than actual mileage...I admit to having a lead foot and driving mostly city driving, but am puzzled by the fact that my 2010 got much better mileage, it also seems that my 2010 had more power...I would have expected the same mpg as my 2010
  • secorsecor Member Posts: 11
    Not sue why you're having less mileage under same driving conditions. Was there an engine change between 2010 and 2012? Even if there was, would expect a bit peppier acceleration with the new engine. I only have one tank on my new Elantra and computer says about 25 mpg. Should have stayed with my 2008 Sante Fe. I could believe the computer and was a much nicer drive.
    Do you have any thoughts of the Hyundai recommended $15/20 ounce container of fuel system additive at oil changes? Previous post (thank you) directed me to a site that showed high detergent gasoline which would not necessitate the additive. Have over past few years few years felt a shot of injector cleaner once every 5K miles would not hurt.
    Checked the website and this report is not there yet. I will check the print copy as I am curious how they got their MPG figures. It's funny, I checked the test from Consumer Reports and they averaged about 29MPG overall (which is closer to what I am getting). And, to respond to some others on this forum, I understand the cause and effect of RPM and 'Lead Foot' on fuel economy. What I don't understand is that my 11 year old turbo-charged 4 cylinder with a 5 speed manual transmission (which is turning over 3000 RPM at highway speeds) uses premium fuel and has almost 130k miles on it gets almost the same MPG as the Elantra with a 6 speed AT (and turns just over 2000 RPM at the same speed). The best MPG I have seen so far (33MPG) is just 73% of the EPA estimate (and just about the same as reported @70MPH in Popular Mechanics. As a matter of fact, they are getting better MPG in city driving than I am on the highway.

Although I have not read all the posts on this forum, from what I have read, most are in the less than advertised MPG situation.
  • minnieaminniea Member Posts: 2
    Fuel prices traditionally go up in the spring time, but it is only March and the nation's pump figures are at near-record highs. It sure makes it tough for a driving fanatic to enjoy feeling the asphalt rushing underneath his or her feet. Still, it is clear that modifications have to be made in support of gas mileage. But there are approaches to be smart, save fuel and still get some time behind the steering wheel. You will need low car loans interest rates in case you are going to be able to pay for to cover gas costs.
  • jcrubysmomjcrubysmom Member Posts: 3
    i am a hospice chaplain and drive between 150-300 miles a day. i purchased my 2012 elantra because of the advertised 40 mpg.... and - of course - like the rest of you..... i get nowhere near that more like 31 mpg. very disappointed. other than that i do like the car, but disappointed in the mpg. is there a class action suit out there that i can be a part of?
  • gman4911gman4911 Member Posts: 43
    Of the 150-300 miles, how many is city and how many is highway? What is the avg MPH as reported by your computer?
    Think it is absolutely critical to track average MPH when looking at MPG. I, like many others, tend to overestimate highway miles and seriously underestimate both time and miles in city driving.

Just filled up again. Now have 2528 miles on odometer. Computer estimated 29.7 mpg. Went 176.0 miles on 6.281 gals of regular (nonethanol) unleaded. Gets 28.02 mpg. BUT avgeraged a meagre 21.0 mph. So I know I was spending the vast majority of time and distance on city driving.
    most of my driving is country roads... so a lot like highway driving
    I always check the miles i drive between fill ups with the gallons i put in
    May '12 issue of MT has an update on their '12 Elantra Limited. After 6 mos and 12,260 miles, they've averaged 26.6 mpg (rated 29/40 mpg). [That compares to 23.7 mpg for their '11 Mini Cooper S Countryman All4 (rated 23/30 mpg ) after 7 mos and 12,626 miles; 32.6 mpg for thier '12 Fiat 500 Sport rated 30/38 mpg after 4 mos and 6326 miles; and 25.5 mpg for their '11 Acura TSX Sport Wagon rated 21/31 mpg after 12 mons and 24,150 miles.]
  • crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    Excellent point. We check MPG but not usually MPH. The newer cars max out MPG between 50 & 65 MPH due to going into highest gear at ~50 or so. The intown, or city portion KILLS the average MPG due to lower MPH and therefore lower gears and higher RPMs. Seems obvious, but this is the first post we have seen that connected the average mPH to average MPG. Guess that is why it is in the readout program. Thanks for the idea.
    We just took a 200 mile trip with 2012 Sonata and averaged 34.6 on all highway at 75+. Key was MPH and constant speed - not stop and go.
  • stevens5882stevens5882 Member Posts: 5
    Just filled up again yesterday, and averaged even better MPG. The weather was even warmer last week, with many days in the mid to high 70s. This tank of gas I got 37.93 MPG calculated (361 miles), the computer reported around 42.1 MPG.

The weather is colder this week, and I have already noticed a hit in MPG.
    I live in WA state and I believe we cannot get fuel without at least 10% ethanol. I've also heard that mileage using gas with ethanol added will suffer versus 100% fossil fuel. Also have heard from my Hyundai service department that ethanol may contribute to fuel system contamination; this may explain Hyundai's recommendation to add a fuel system cleaner every oil change. I've read so many unhappy posts about disappointing gas mileage on the Elantra and have to wonder if this is a Hyundai issue/Elantra issue, or all manufacturers. Admittedly, I have not taken the time to visit other sites to check if everyone is unhappy with their car's mileage but really seems to be an issue with the Elantra. I just bought a 2012 limited and am concerned with the mileage posts as this was the main reason I purchased the vehicle. I think I should have kept my 2008 Sante Fe AWD GLS,
    Not sure why the Elantra mpg computer is always high from the posts I've read. I just traded in my 2008 Sante Fe AWD GLS and I stopped checking the computer readings about mpg because my initial manual calculations came out almost exactly what the computer showed. Not sure why so many posts mentioned the computer displays 2-4 miles higher than actual calculations by many of you.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited March 2012
    Also have heard from my Hyundai service department that ethanol may contribute to fuel system contamination...

Check your car's owner's manual. I bet it says something to the effect that the engine can run fine on 10% ethanol. I also bet it says nothing about that level of ethanol contributing to fuel system "contamination". I expect this is just another ploy of your dealer's service department to sell you some overpriced fuel system cleaner. I have had 3 Hyundais over the past 11-1/2 years, all serviced at Hyundai dealers, and not once has the service personnel mentioned "fuel system contamination" due to use of ethanol at a level approved by the manufacturer for the car. I did have a dealer try to sell me a "throttle body cleaning" once. But I did some research and found out that service was not only unnecessary, but could damage the throttle body. Needless to say I declined the service, which was pretty pricey I recall.

My advice is, stick to the service schedule as recommended by the manufacturer, and avoid add-on services from dealers.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Given that, the EPA needs to test a couple of them. Something's not right.
    Thankfully I have ready access to nonethanol regular unleaded, which is the only fuel I use. 10% ethanol will decrease your FE by about 3%-4%. This reduction is similar to that experienced due to tire air pressure decreases.
    My service maintenance manual does recommend a 20 oz bottle of Hyundai fuel system cleaner at oil changes. Will have to check but I would not want to put this product in my fuel system on an empty tank; I think they would let me know. I also take my car to the dealer; a bit more expensive but they are customer focused which is worth a few extra dollars to me. Th.anks
    Hey aptman - have not done any investigative work on this issue but has Hyundai changed their engine/transmission from 2010 to 2012? This may have an impact on your mileage; and I hope I'm not stating the obvious.
  • aptmanaptman Member Posts: 4
    as stupid as this sounds...I haven't checked to see if there was an engine change, I would have thought the the transmission change would have been for the better, going from 4 to 6 speeds...

I have seen reports that the best mileage is at speeds at 55 mph...unfortunately I dont do 55 mph often....perhaps my gas mileage wil improve after its drivien a bit more, I have a little over 2k now...

on the plus side...I do feel like I am driving a much more expensive car (I have a Hyundai Limited) yes there is more road noise than in my 2010, perhaps its the 17 inch wheels? I have seen negative post about road noise...but all in all, for the price for what you get, I am extremely happy, a little less gas mileage doesn't change that.....nice car, and my 3rd Hyundau Elantra in a row...
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Yes, the engine changed. In 2010 they used a 2.0L and changed to a 1.8L in the 2011 model going forward. HP went up but torque went down. May help to explain why the city MPG isn't resulting in happy campers. Have to press hard to get ooomph off the line.

Cars have been getting their best highway MPG results at around 55mph for decades....it's not something particular to "newer" cars. It's just aerodynamics as in fighting air/wind resistance. Even though the newer cars are more aerodynamically proficient, they still get the best MPG at around that same speed as it's all relative. Modern transmissions, once you've reached the point of cruising, should be in the top gear well below 55mph. My 5spd auto is in 5th gear by at least 40-45mph if I'm not pressing the gas hard and just cruising.
    Okay, I check both. Here are the results:

@22 MPH (1 reading) - 27.78428 MPG
    @36 MPH (1 reading) - 30.58813 MPG
    @38 MPH (3 readings) - 29.71566394 MPG (avg)
    @39 MPH (3 readings) - 29.67246921 MPG (avg)
    @40 MPH (1 reading) - 29.29158845 MPG
    @41 MPH (3 readings - 30.78341837 MPG (avg)
    @42 MPH (2 readings) - 31.04911614 MPG (avg)
    @47 MPH (1 reading) - 32.71118059 MPG
    @51 MPH (1 reading) - 33.59858589 MPG
    @56 MPH (1 reading) - 32.69990606 MPG
    @65 MPH (1 reading) - 33.59610093 MPG

Unfortunately, I do not have readings for every tank (did not think about this reading until I realized the MPG was not where I thought it would be and, only then, did I start to track all data).

Further notes: Almost all the readings in the 30's & 40's are my wife's travel to work (total 8.9 miles each way; 4.8 Hwy, 4.1 street)

The 51 MPH number has about 100 of 281 miles driven at 75MPH. The rest not over 65 (and some in bumper to bumper).

The 56 MPH number was 330 miles (approx 280 of which was at 65MPH - not over).

The 65MPH number was 286 miles ( and I believe the average is correct - all HWY, no stops)

So, it would appear that if I drive at a average speed of between 51 & 65, I can get about 33MPG. What do I have to do to get the 40MPG touted?

To your point on the Sonata. I had mentioned on a previous post that one of the reasons we purchased the Elantra was a similar experience in a rental Sonata. Excellent fuel economy on a round trip from St. Louis to Memphis. Expected as good (and yes, better) from the Elantra.

Two major reasons for not buying the Sonata. First, this was to be 'our' car for trips although my wife would be using it for her commute (my car, also as previously noted, is a manual). Her previous car was a Corolla and the Sonata felt "too big" for her. Second, the passenger seat. My wife under 5' and the passenger seat in the Sonata is set so low that on the Memphis trip she could not see out of the front or side glass in that seat. Since I do the bulk of the driving when we are together, that was a problem.
    What do I have to do to get the 40MPG touted?

For starters:

* Don't drive at 75 mph.
    * Realize that "bumper to bumper" will kill your average.
    Not sure if you were trying to be sarcastic or helpful. In either case, if you look at the info I posted you can see that only the 51 MPH average trip had speeds @75 or bumper to bumper. The 56 MPH trip had only 50 of 320 miles under 65 the rest @65 and the 65 MPH trip was all @65 (except for getting on and off the HWY and driving to the fuel pump). So, both of these trips together averaged about 33MPG with 600+ miles with less than 10% driven under 65 MPH.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Here's Why Real-World MPG Doesn't Match EPA Ratings

Thought some of you might be interested in this article, posted yesterday. I'm not saying it applies to each person having issues achieving the EPA estimates, but thought it could be worth a look.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I was being realistic.

33 mpg at 65 mpg steady speed seems low... assuming... it was in fact steady speed, you did stay at 65 mph and didn't have stops/starts or speed up to pass people, weather was moderate, winds light, tires inflated properly, etc.

Many factors affect fuel economy.

However, 33 mpg is the EPA combined average for the car. Depending on what your low-speed travel was like and how you drive on the highway, that seems in the ballpark. Not great, but in the ballpark.
    edited March 2012
    Pretty good article and people should understand a lot of that info before complaining. However, I think if anyone had a new car over the last ten years(than includes both of the EPA estimate calcs) and were able to meet the EPA numbers and then bought a new Elantra and can't come close should be ticked off.

I can drive my 2007 Mazda6 on a freeway trip and surpass the EPA hwy estimate. I usually set the cruise at about 5 over the limit. If the speed limit is 70 I set it at 70 as I personally think it's not really safe to cruise faster than that but that's just me. Keep in mind that the EPA estimate on the 2007 was revised downward when they changed their methodology in 2008. I can do that with each of my three vehicles on a highway cruise of some distance. If I bought an Elantra and could only get 35 or 36mpg on the same kind of trip I would be upset as I would be expecting to meet or beat the estimate just like on other cars that I own or have owned.

The article you linked to made mention of the 2011 Elantra in the Edmund's test fleet that isn't achieving satisfactory hwy mpg which sort of reinforces what many of these people are saying.

I think if there are just very few circumstances where a car attain the hwy estimate(flat surface, moderate temp, highly inflated tires, eggshell on the gas pedal, clean air cleaner, driving the speed limit or even under, etc etc etc) than the manufacture should either explain that in detail to lower expectations or revise the EPA hwy number downward to a more realistice number. This was proven to be a manufacturers perogative in the recent Honda Civic Hybrid litigation.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Yup, it's worth a read, BUT, as you hinted, my posting it wasn't meant to say that everything in there acts as a final summary. I still think there might be something wrong with some Elantras.

Regardless of the reason - whether the detailed explanation is lacking, or if there's a problem, or if (without changing anything regarding driving habits) this vehicle simply fails to perform to the MPG level of previous vehicles that the owner has had - I can understand the disappointment if the vehicle was purchased largely on the basis of EPA estimated MPGs.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I can understand the disappointment if the vehicle was purchased largely on the basis of EPA estimated MPGs

Even if it's not a huge consideration, it's still something that's expected. There's a couple of things that I could do without on my car but if the sticker said they were supposed to be there I would sure expect them to be.
    The question is how long it's going to take to resolve things. This has been going on since the 2011s came out and the EPA hasn't said "boo" yet. You'd think they'd as least consider verifying Hyundai's test results by now.

It's a damn shame because I'm liking a lot of what I'm seeing about the 2013 Elantra GT. Except that it's got the exact same powertrain.
    How to explain tests like the one Popular Mechanics did recently? Some sort of sample defect?
    edited March 2012
    And how many different Elantras did PM test? :sick:

If only a few percent are problematic the chances that one picked for testing not performing would be slim. On the flip side, the Elantra in the Edmund fleet hasn't been able to achieve it's EPA hwy mpg.

A small percentage would also probably account for all the complaints while the vast majority are fine. Just a possibility that shouldn't be poohed-poohed as stupid consumers that don't know how to drive or maintain their cars.
    Except it seems to be a relatively high percentage, somewhere north of 10%.
    How do you figure 10%? That would be about 25,000 cars to date.
    Steady speed, moderate weather, no wind, tires (nitrogen filled) at recommended pressure, cruise control on, car in "econ" mode.

What is comes down to is that, I can drive my 2001 VW 4 cyl turbo at 70 MPH (at which speed the engine is at about 3200RPM - about 1,000 higher than the Elantra at the same speed) aggressively, and still get 31+MPG (higher than the EPA estimate).

The Elantra should be getting closer to (or above) 40MPG on the HWY.
    edited March 2012
    At a steady 65 mph in the ideal conditions you mentioned, I agree, should be 40 or very near to it. That's what I have achieved on rental Elantras under similar conditions. I can get near 40 in my 2010 Sentra (34 mpg highway EPA) under those conditions also. But even a little city driving drops the average considerably, especially if it's short trips.

Have you had your car checked at the dealer? Asked about the reflash that was mentioned earlier (I think in this thread)?
    Rough guesstimate based on forum responses, a couple of MPG reporting websites, and what people are reporting on fueleconomy.gov. Factor in the fact that dissatisfied people are more likely to report results than satisfied people, and I'm probably still underestimating it somewhat.

I may just rent one for a couple of days so I can do my own testing.
  • hoopitup2000hoopitup2000 Member Posts: 46
    Been considering the 2012 Elantra, but discouraged with the so-so mileage numbers here. Too bad there isn't a separate thread for the automatic & manual. Not sure how the EPA is achieving such high numbers with the Elantra automatic?

Have both an 4 speed automatic & 5 speed manual Corolla with the same engine. With the same driving habits, the manual is much better with city driving, but only slightly better on the highway. Year round average is only about 30 with the automatic, but upper 30's with the manual.

Engine pumping losses are greatly reduced with proper manual transmission shifting techniques when accelerating. Large throttle opening + low engine speed = less pumping losses = more efficiency.

Unfortunately, this is just not possible, even with the modern automatic transmission as it allows the engine to rev too high while accelerating, which greatly increases pumping losses.
    Not sure how the EPA is achieving such high numbers with the Elantra automatic?

This is a misnomer. EPA figures are usually not provided by the EPA. They're provided by the manufacturer through internal testing to EPA specs. Theoretically. The EPA can choose to test models if they want to but they don't test all of them.

As for the manual/automatic propaganda, this is not the place to argue the religious war of manual versus automatic, and both transmissions are having a problem on the Elantra anyway. High RPMs = lower fuel economy. Two things lead to high RPMs: the gearing of the transmission and the foot of the driver. A manual transmission that is not geared tall enough is as bad as an automatic with gearing that isn't tall enough.
  • hoopitup2000hoopitup2000 Member Posts: 46
    Thanks, basically trying to determine if the manual is getting the same dissapointing results as the automatic.

As far as high RPM's, proper acceleration is key to getting the great MPG numbers in city driving with constant stop & go. Keeping the RPM's around 2000-2200 is hugely important, so this is where only a skilled driver with a manual can really shine.
    Keeping them below 3000 is the best most non-CVT transmissions can do: you can only do so much with a fixed set of ratios. Plus even automatics coast better than CVTs: they engine brake an awful lot.

Anyway, the driver can only do so much in city driving regardless of transmission. If you have to jackrabbit just to get into traffic, or power peak is too far north of 3000 RPM not even a skilled driver with a manual will shine. Incidentally, given the Elantra's lofty HP and torque peaks, that could be causing an issue for a lot of drivers (you really need low-end torque for some things no matter what). Anyone have an HP/torque curve graph for the Elantra? I haven't been able to find one.
    edited March 2012
    Keeping them below 3000 is the best most non-CVT transmissions can do

Not the case with modern trannies. I have seen 5 and 6 speed automatics very close to 2000 rpm even at 65-70 mph. And there's some sticks with tall top gears also. Examples are the Mazda3i Touring 6MT, which is around 2000 RPM @ 65 mph, and the Golf 5MT, which is a little over 2000 RPM @ 65 mph.

CVTs are great at low RPMing though. My 2010 Sentra can putter along all day at around 35-40 mph at around 1200 RPM (on level ground of course). And it's at about 2000 RPM @ 70 mph.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Hello Kirstie h and Karen:

Long time not here. You are looking well.

The Elantra buyers seem to be having post-purchase doubts about their new rides. If I had
    purchased an Elantra this year I wouldn't worry about high fuel economy the first 10 months.
    The EPA *estimates* are based on driving at 55mph at 3000RPM or slightly lower. Not many
    buyers drive at that low a speed and low revs. Also, the car should have only the driver in it
    and a half tank of gas. Many probably have no trouble meeting the last requirement. My low
    fuel warning light stays on most of the time.

Other things to consider: windows up and A/C off. Gonna be hot.

My suggestion is to try to get the best fuel economy most of the time, enjoy the wonderful new car,
    and don't worry about it. If the Elantra had been advertised at a lower fuel rating wouldn't you have bought it for its styling and features? Of course you would! Even 36mpg is a rate many wish they were getting in their SUVs. :D