Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2012

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited November 2012
    while driving around in my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS I notice that a lot of people "gun it" compared to myself. I drive like someone 25 years older than myself. Or maybe that's a bad analogy. I drive "conservatively".

Perhaps you gun it more than you think. Are you a young person? Actually that doesn't even have to play in to things at all. All ages of drivers "gun it" more than other drivers. Only you know for sure.

I think backy has figured this test out as an EPA nightmare and not really a fault of Hyundai cars (or their owners) at all.

Since those numbers have now been validated by the EPA, it appears your issue now is more with the EPA and how they test cars, than with Hyundai.

backy's quote above pretty much says the truth of the matter. It's how you drive your car, how clean you keep your car, how much you spend on car maintenance, etc., etc. I would not initially fault Hyundai and their management on this one. Anyone add to this so we can all learn more about it.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• pflyerpflyer Member Posts: 25
    OK, this why I dropped out of this discussion and I will do so again.

You state as fact that the EPA numbers do not reflect the Elantra's real world mpg.

You are right, for you.

Not for me and others.

I have owned my car since new and have NEVER gotten less than 30 mpg on any tank. Ever.

In the last couple of months, I have gone up from 32 to almost 34 mpg.

I live in DFW. Do you realize how crowded this place is?

I have never had a tank of gas average over 32 mph (miles per hour, not gallons). My last tank was 30 mph and almost 34 mpg.

So... all of my driving is a good mixture of city/hwy.

YOU might not be able to get the mpg some of us do. I'm sorry. Maybe you got a "bad' one. Maybe you are a jerky/stop/start driver. I don't know. I don't care.

What I DO know is that it IS possible to reach and exceed the EPA mileage figures with my Elantra.

I couldn't be happier with the car and now, as a bonus, Hyundai will further increase my effective mpg by giving me free gas.

Life is good here in Texas..
    edited November 2012
    when did ya move ta Texas, man? I also knew you ta live in Happy Valley, Pennsylvania. Wow! DFW? Career change of some sort.

Great choice in the '13 Elantra purchase, BTW. Is it an automatic or a stick?

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, it was of course Hyundai's fault to mess up on their testing. Hard to fathom that they could have 1) messed up like that, and 2) took so long to find out they messed up.

But now that the EPA has run its own tests, any discrepancy between what owners are getting on their Elantras vs. official EPA numbers is either due to how/when/where the car is driven, or the rare situation of a defect in the car that is causing the poor fuel economy.

Much more likely how the car is driven. As I've noted on other discussions, I can drive a car like my 2010 Sentra under ideal conditions and get far better than its EPA estimates. And I can drive it in less-than-ideal conditions, but very much real-world conditions for many drivers, and get far worse than the EPA estimates.

That's true for any car... including the Elantra.
    edited November 2012
    generally the "slower" you drive, or, if you like, the more careful you drive, the better ghastly mileage you'll get. And even keeping your car clean helps.

But this chastising Hyundai for lying on EPA stickers stinks of old Dennis Rodman tenny runners. I don't buy it. But I would buy a new Hyundai Veloster in yellow or that metallic green or red. In either an automatic tranny or standard. Doesn't matter.

I wouldn't buy an Elantra. But I like the car. That's just iluvmysephia1. But I wouldn't say Hyundai is "lying" ta y'all on the EPA stickers.

That's definitley hearsay, not much else. And the person that said it needs ta come clean(er).

• pflyerpflyer Member Posts: 25
    Not me.

I have never been to Happy Valley.

Lived in Ft Worth for last 30 years.

My car is a 2011 GLS Auto.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Don't know where you've been for the last couple of days but every single car website has articles on Hyundai admitting their numbers are wrong to the point where they are going to reimburse owners for lower than expected MPG. That's not hearsay, they have admitted it.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    The thing is Hyundai and Kia lied to everyone and posted false data over 2 years and a dozen different models.

Try getting 29mpg city in your Elantra. It only dropped to 28 and is still unachieveable unless you are a hyper-miler.
    edited November 2012
    If your "city" driving is like the EPA's "city" cycle, you should get close to 28 mpg, depending on weather, traffic etc.

Problem is, "city" driving for many people bears no resemblance to the EPA's "city" cycle.
    I can get the "city" EPA rating in every car I've ever owned.

Funny isn't it, the "city" numbers can't be achieved in a Hyundai or Kia product, but can be in a Ford, Chevy, or Honda.

Hyundai/Kia picked a good time to drop their bombshell. Right before a major U.S. election and right after a major U.S. natural disaster. Minimize the media attention.

I wonder how the Hyundai/Kia owners are feeling about re-sale value now?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    But now that the EPA has run its own tests, any discrepancy between what owners are getting on their Elantras vs. official EPA numbers is either due to how/when/where the car is driven, or the rare situation of a defect in the car that is causing the poor fuel economy.

In reality, the EPA estimates are the only common factor consumers have in comparing automobiles when deciding to purchase. I think everyone knows that YMWV depending on how you drive the car. However, I think the problem is that how many customers were swayed to Hyundai based on the EPA ratings? The magical "40mpg" number has the power of persuasion in today's market, which is why I believe Hyundai is offering refunds for mileage driven.

In any event, I still think the Elantra would be selling very, very well with its new adjusted ratings. However, it still does not address the numerous complains that people cannot achieve the newly rates estimates and there just seems to be an abnormally high amount of people in the YMWV sector, specifically on the lower end of the real-world economy figures.

What this announcement has does was vilify what many have been saying for a long time now, that the Elantra has issues with achieving the EPA estimates on a grand scale. It has brought out the disgruntled owners and Hyundai haters. All in all, it is really bad publicity but I do not think Hyundai will suffer for too long. The new ratings are still very good and the car is still a winner. The only gripes have been the real-world economy. Other than that, its really a good little car.
    edited November 2012
    Funny isn't it, the "city" numbers can't be achieved in a Hyundai or Kia product, but can be in a Ford, Chevy, or Honda.

Why do you say that? How many Hyundai/Kia products have you owned? How much behind-the-wheel time do you have in the current-gen Elantra? I've owned 3 Hyundais and have no problem meeting or exceeding the EPA city and highway ratings under normal conditions. My DW, OTOH, struggles to get 20 mpg on her 2007 Sonata... while I easily get mid-20s in town. Same car, different drivers and driving styles. Hmmm....

When I've driven the current-gen Elantra as rentals, again, no problem meeting/exceeding the EPA numbers (the old ones, not the new ones). And some of that driving was under what I consider extreme conditions compared to what I'm used to, e.g. temps near 100, A/C on full blast all the time, lot of sitting in traffic. But those are normal conditions for some people.

Do you really think a difference of 1 mpg in the EPA average fuel economy estimate is going to significantly change resale value on Elantras?
  • secorsecor Member Posts: 11
    If their penalty is going to be based on current mileage on our vehicles then what about all of us who purchased these vehicles and plan on keeping them for years. So we get a small reimbursement now but will continue to pay the price for their lies for the rest of our ownership.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    First, I think it is dumb for new car buyers to think they can achieve any new car mileages posted by the manufacturers. It just doesn't fit the real world results. Experienced buyers know, or their friends know, cars have to be broken in before real world mileage ratings are even close. It just doesn't work that way.

Second, Hyundai and Kia probably thought a couple additional mpg wouldn't hurt, weren't the other car companies "fudging" a bit? That 40mpg is a goal, 36mpg to 38mpg are real world averages with 4-cylinder engines. I have no problem getting 36mpg in a Mazda3 or earlier Protégé, rated at 30mpg, IF I keep the RPMs at or below 3000 and drive steady. No A/C on.

I would not let fuel economy be my only reason for buying any car. Keep in mind that if you sell the Elantra the buyer may think you messed up its engine tinkering under the hood. :confuse:
    I'm not sure what this issue has to do with elections or natural disasters. I should have been suspicious when after signing my purchase paperwork the sales manager laughingly said he never got the rated mileage driving his Elantra and said it was because he had a "heavy foot". Even the Ford sales person which is across the street from the Hyundai showroom, and both dealerships owned by same person/group, said he had a person trade in an Elantra after three months because she could only get 31 miles/gallon highway driving which is not to far from my experience so far. I traded in a 2008 Sate Fe and will regret the trade forever. The Santa Fe was a great vehicle and my false reasoning was to get a long term vehicle for better gas mileage. The Santa Fe did come very close to the mileage ratings so I'm not sure why this happened. I've also read in this thread that the EPA/Federal Government was responsible for verifying these mileage claims so do they have some culpability here as well?
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Except that there ARE other cars that reach their EPA ratings in the real world. Hondas are relatively famous for it. Toyotas, as much as I hate the way the things drive, they tend to do it. The Mazda3 gets EPA in the real world, as do Volkswagen's TDI models.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    As I stated nearly a year ago, where there is smoke, there is fire. Why do people on this board continue to deny that the "building is on fire?" Give it a rest already. The company overhyped results. That doesn't mean the company builds a bad product (I say this as I am taking my ET in for a new transmission). It just means that normal every day drivers are not coming close to achieving the advertised results. Enough people have seen the "smoke".....the building IS on fire. It is time to move on. If you don't like the product they are selling, move to another company. I love the value I get from Hyundai. I won't sell mine; I won't complain about the choices I make in life despite my new car having a shody transmission, and I won't migrate over to the other H company that sells near bullet proof cars that cost a whole lot more for minimalist interiors.
    Why would it be dumb to think you should get EPA estimates when I've gotten them (or better) in every car I've ever owned and so has everyone I know.

Hyundai/Kia lied. Plain and simple. Their paltry offer of $100 or $200? A joke. You will get hosed on re-sale value AND be spending more on fuel as long as you own your car.

I would ask for thousands of dollars back to cover fuel, re-sale, fraud, etc.

Of course they're saying "a dozen bank errors in our favor" to avoid the fraud charge. What else are they lying about?
    edited November 2012
    I would ask for thousands of dollars back to cover fuel, re-sale, fraud, etc.

A difference of 1 mpg overall is worth thousands of dollars in extra fuel? Above and beyond what Hyundai is already paying owners... including the 15 percent extra for "inconvenience"?

Or you think this 1 mpg difference will decrease the resale value of Elantras by thousands of dollars?

As for fraud... to get any money for that, there would need to be a class action suit. That would take awhile. Fraud would need to be proven. What if there was no fraud, just incredible stupidity? Then if there was fraud and it could be proven, the lawyers would get their share. After those costs, owners would be lucky to get more than what Hyundai has already offered--reimbursement for gas differential, plus 15% for inconvenience.

What about all the other cars that don't meet their EPA numbers for drivers? Are those manufacturers lying too?
  • nerl945nerl945 Member Posts: 1
    I have never gotten below 30 mpg on my 2012 Elantra. Using real gas and not corn oil, I have gotten as high as 45 on it. The highest with corn oil is 43. My biggest complaint what they show as the mpg you are getting. My computer is off from 3-5 mpg! The dealer supposedly replaced it but it improved nothing, still off 3-5 mpg. Either they didn't replace it or Hyundai simply programs them to be off 3-5 mpg. I divide my miles by gallons on every tankful. I get my best gas mileage on real gas, then corn oil BP and then corn oil Shell. I am a salesman so I travel a lot of miles.
    Hyundai/Kia lied. Fraud will come out in the criminal trials. This is a violation of civil law also.

The other companies? Name them and list the cars they lied about.

Yeah right, we made dozens of "mistakes" over 3 model years and on over a dozen models ALL in our favor and several to achieve 40mpg hwy.

I have a bridge to sell the Hyundai/Kia owners who believe that one.
    edited November 2012
    You should contact the Attorney General immediately to give them your evidence re how Hyundai/Kia lied, it could be important to their case.

For someone who doesn't own an Elantra or ANY Hyundai/Kia, you seem to be really upset about this.

Some perspective...

About ten years ago, there was a class action suit against Hyundai re its overstating the horsepower on several 1996-2002 models, including the Elantra. The overstatement on the Elantra was 5 hp--135 vs. 140. I owned one of those cars. Hyundai said it was an honest mistake, and no fraud was ever proven (not sure it was ever charged). Hyundai offered on its own accord to compensate owners through extended warranties and roadside assistance coverage... which sounded pretty darn good to me.

But then the lawyers got involved. It took 2 years of legal wrangling, but finally there was a settlement that called for compensation in the form of prepaid debit cards good at various retailers and valued at $50 to $225, or shopping cards worth $100 to $325 good for parts or service at Hyundai dealerships. The size of the payment depended on the degree to which a vehicle's horsepower was inflated. Since it was only 5 hp for my Elantra, I got (I think) a $100 shopping card, which I used for parts/service on my car (I think my other choice was a $50 debit card). I would much rather have had what Hyundai originally offered: an extended warranty and roadside assistance. But I took the card and considered it free money, since my car had no less horsepower than the day I drove it off the dealer's lot, it had plenty of power (and for its time, purchased in 2000, it was near the top of the class in power), 5 hp would have made absolutely no difference to me in deciding to purchase the car, and it affected the car's resale value when I sold it a couple of years later by... zero (the buyer didn't even ask about horsepower; it never came up).

Go go ahead, Elantra owners, push for a fraud case and class action lawsuit. At the end, I have a feeling you won't be any better off for it.
  • farkle0079farkle0079 Member Posts: 9
    I had about 12k miles on my 2012 Elantra and never came close to 40mpg during a highway trip, and generally averaged 32mpg in my weekly commute to and from work. I ditched the car for the Mazda 3 Skyactiv and get between 37-41mpg in the same weekly drive. Currently at 11.5k miles with the Mazda. I try to drive a constant 70mph on the freeway unless coasting down a hill takes me faster. I log my mileage and gallons filled up at the pump in my logbook.

I never got more than 34mpg driving from the Bay Area to Sacramento in the elantra but I easily get 40mpg with my 3 Skyactiv driving the same way.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    First, I think it is dumb for new car buyers to think they can achieve any new car mileages posted by the manufacturers. It just doesn't fit the real world results. Experienced buyers know, or their friends know, cars have to be broken in before real world mileage ratings are even close. It just doesn't work that way.

I completely disagree. The last three cars I have owned have all been spot on their EPA estimates, or better. (2002 Subaru Impreza 2005 Mazda6, 2013 Mazda CX-5)

Some cars, like the '12 Civic, have a reputation for doing better than their EPA estimates.

I have found that the new EPA ratings are actually pretty good and accurate for most vehicles.
  • thisisbenjithisisbenji Member Posts: 2
    The last two cars I'v owned (2006 Chevy Cobalt LS MT, 2012 Ford Focus SE DCT) have easily exceeded their EPA numbers from day one. Not sure what your high on.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Posted this over in the mid-size forum, but thought a few of you might like to see this...

EPA to look at other manufacturers?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Wouldn't be surprised. There are a couple of models I've got on my radar and have reported on (internally), whose consumers are consistently reporting that they can't get anywhere near EPA estimates. We'll see if those correspond with any models that are investigated.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to Hyundai and Kia owners who agree or disagree with the latest controversy over MPG. If you own a Hyundai or a Kia and would like to speak to a reporter about your experience with your car's fuel economy, please send your daytime and evening contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 8 a.m. PT/11 a.m. ET.
  • knocker81knocker81 Member Posts: 44
    I specifically bought this car for the gas mileage, 29/40 what a joke I only get 24 combined. I have a 2009 Corolla (27/35) that I gave to my son when I bought this peice of S____(fill in the blanks). I drive both cars the same. I fill up at the same station, the Corolla was getting 27 combined, at least it's in the ballpark. The problem might not be the highway driving its the city driving...lets face it I didn't buy this car the highway cruising, the sole reason was the city driving.
    The gas pedal seems to be very stiff, I really have a hard time pressing it down. The eco button has no effect at all, I'm not even crazy about the ride. I have a hard time believing anyone getting low 30's city driving, when I do stictly city I barely get 22. I'm stuck with this car for another 2 years (3 yr lease) but can't wait to get rid of it. One positive ...it looks nice.
  • gman4911gman4911 Member Posts: 43
    edited November 2012
    FYI, the computer MPG calculation is typically 2-4 MPGs too high so you might getting worse MPG than you realize.

Sounds like you just need to adjust your 'lead' foot. My previous car was a 96 Pathfinder. When I first got the Elantra, like you, I was pressing down on the accelerator too hard because I was accustomed to the amount of pressure needed for the Pathfinder. My first tank was averaging 24 MPG (computer calculated) until I read some tips on how to drive the Elantra. When accelerating, the 'experts' were recommending light pressure on the accelerator and not letting the tachometer get above 2250-2500 RPMs. You're wasting fuel if you allow the RPMs to go above that range.

Another tip is to coast as much as possible. When approaching a stop light, try to count to 5 or 10 before applying the brakes. If you can't do that, you're wasting fuel by driving too fast and/or following the cars in front of you too closely. After I made the adjustments, I was able to get my first tank to average 29 MPG (computer calculated). Now after 17 tanks, I am counting to 15 and 20 before applying the brakes and my overall average is 30 MPG (manually calculated), mostly city driving.
  • camaroman2012camaroman2012 Member Posts: 6
    Well, I was driving as light footed as I could, as well as my wife, and our city driving always hit 22mpg. Could not get it any better than that. Tried different brands of fuel, but nothing mattered. Well, I ended up swamping the thing in a freak flash flood, so replaced it with a bigger, better vehicle. I ended up getting a 2013 Nissan Altima. I consistently get 25 mpg city. I even got 41mpg highway on my last trip. It's rated at 38mpg highway, so I was very impressed. The ride is worlds better than the Hyundai Elantra and the car is quieter as well, not to mention it is fully loaded with more room all around. Much better car. I would have considered the Hyundai Sonata, until the gas mileage issues I was seeing, plus the issue with the computer telling me I was getting 2mpg better than I actually was. This made me think they were trying to deceive people, and so it boiled down to a car company I couldn't trust. Go with the Nissan, you won't regret it.
    edited November 2012
    Reply to Gman
    I don't rely on the trip computer for the mileage, I fill the car up, drive till I need gas again, record the miles and fill up, divide miles by gallons I put in tank. It's the only way to do it. I'm consistently at 24 or less. I've been driving the same way for 35 yrs, thanks but no thanks for the driving tips. You must be one of the lucky ones who gets good gas mileage. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I don't know if you've heard but Hyundai's stock has dropped because of false gas estimates, and there are already law suits started. Here's a tip...sell the Elantra and get a scooter.
    edited November 2012
    I've been driving the same way for 35 yrs, thanks but no thanks for the driving tips.
    Driving experience <> driving efficiently. Most people don't drive as efficiently as they think they do. Since you haven't yet demonstrated that you are knowlegeable about driving efficiently, I'm inclined to think that's where the problem lies.
    You must be one of the lucky ones who gets good gas mileage.
    Plenty of people getting good mileage. The fuel logs at fuelly.com shows the 2011-2013 Elantras averaging 30 MPG.
    Like I said I drive all my cars the same and they're all in the ballpark...I don't need a car that I have to count ten before I stop or apply my brakes, I'll never get anywhere.

Maybe people are getting 30, that must be highway..a far cry from 40!
    edited November 2012
    Maybe people are getting 30, that must be highway..a far cry from 40!
    The 30 MPG average is combined hwy/city.
    I don't need a car that I have to count ten before I stop or apply my brakes, I'll never get anywhere.
    Does driving faster to a stop light get you through the stop light faster?

The goal of the counting exercise is to maximize the chance of not having to stop at the stop light because getting the car to move from a stopped position burns the most fuel. Not only that, you're wasting fuel when you're idle waiting for the light to turn green. The more you can minimize the stop & go city driving, the better your fuel efficiency.
    Who ever said I driving faster to a stop light, you're just assuming. I guess you didn't really read my earlier post...I also have a Corolla (27/35) and I'm averaging 27 or better. Same driving, same gas station. So if I apply your driving tips maybe my Corolla will get the 40.
    I understand your whole concept but this thread is about the proven fact that the Elantra is not meeting the predicted mpg. I don't know where you live but have you heard the news lately, even their stock tumbled last week due to mpg ratings, If I could only get 27 (without driving like my grandfather) I'd be happy.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I'd question your judgement in getting a new car based solely on 2 MPG difference unless you drive much more than average.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Who said the "sole" reason he got a new car was to get two more mpg? I read his post to say he gave his Corolla to his son and bought a new car that on paper who give him as good or better mpg than his Corolla and he is getting much worse on the same commute and driving habits. Did he suddenly become a lot different type of driver because he got a new car? IMO most people tend to take it easy on a brand new car for awhile.
  • keyser2keyser2 Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2012
    I've owned three Hyundai's. While reliable, they were never competitive with rivals regarding gas mileage. I bought a new '07 Toyota RAV4 at the same time a friend bought a Santa Fe. I average 24 mpg in urban/suburban driving and my friend claims about 19. Pathetic!! Hyundai doesn't have their drivetrain tuning down like more established brands, including American
  • sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
    Hey everyone,

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, if it has I apologize. But I found out a few days ago that Hyundai is offering a fuel reimbursement for certain models and years. I drive a 2011 Elantra, and I was qualified. The amount you receive will depend on your location (gas prices are different in each area) and your mileage. This is the site my father told me about: https://hyundaimpginfo.com/ Just put in your VIN number and then will let you know if you qualify, and then there is a 1-877 number to call for more info. Apparently, they will mail you a claim form and then we take it to the dealership and they will give us something else. Then we have to mail it back. Then they will send a debit card. For my reimbursement, I'm only getting back about $65 but another friend is getting back almost $200 for his 2011 Elantra.

Maybe I missed it, but I'm fairly certain that Hyundai did not notify me. I never received an email, letter in the mail, or phone call. I just heard through word of mouth. I have two other friends that also drive Hyundai's, and they were never told about this reimbursement program either.

Sarah
  • mbnymbny Member Posts: 1
    I have purchased brand new 2013 Elantra on 11/03/12, the next day after the reimbursement news was released. But at that time when I purchased the car, I did not know the news regarding reimbursement and the sales person did not mention anything about it. Even the mileage sticker on the car with the price indicated still the wrong mileage information, 29/40, and the car was promoted with the good mileage by a sales person. On 11/04/12, I picked up the car and after that, I found that news of reimbursement. I contacted via email to Hyundai because the vin number of my new car is not eligible for reimbursement. Hyundai said in order to be it eligible the purchase had to be completed before 11/02/12, when the news was released. I advocated that I did not know the news, the sales man did not say anything about it and the sticker was on the car. They did not listen to me. Hyundai fools customers well..
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Not sure but think the Rav 4 is quite a bit smaller & weighs a good amount less than a Santa Fe. Compare comperable weight Toyota's and Hyundai's. Toyota may still have an advantage but not by much.
    Wow, that is just ridiculous. I emailed the finance manager last night where I bought my car asking why the Hyundai owners haven't been properly notified about this, and I haven't heard back yet. Not sure I will.
    Since you have the window sticker that says 29/40 and no paperwork from Hyundai that says otherwise (right?), you should have a strong case to get the reimbursement. It was up to Hyundai to notify you as a new Elantra buyer about the new mpg rating. They didn't.

If I were you I'd take this up the chain at Hyundai, starting with the GM of the dealership.
    edited November 2012
    I didn't say 2 gallons..read the post, more like 6 to 8 gallons and thats combined mileage. On a car that says 29/40, I should get at least 30 combined. I'm getting 24 sometimes 22 combined. There's something very wrong.
  • kris_hkris_h Member Posts: 1
    Sara you should be receiving your letter in the mail any time now. I received mine in the mail on the 14th. Your friend may be receiving more money if they drive more miles than you do. It's based on the number of miles you have already placed on your Elantra.
    Yeah, I received it yesterday. But I'm a little confused. The guy on the phone last week told me to take it to a dealership. But there is nothing on the letter or claim form for a dealership to sign anything. So do you know what we need to do with this claim form?

Yeah, my friend down in Florida has a lot more miles on his Elantra then I do!
    In the reimbursement letter I received, Hyundai is telling us their EPA estimates were off by 1-2 MPG. The best I've gotten on the highway is 34 MPG (that's all highway). Not sure why the variation in mileage I've seen on these posts but I think the majority of us are very dissatisfied with the mileage. Wish I had my Sante Fe back. At least that EPA estimate was accurate and was a much nicer vehicle.
    But there is nothing on the letter or claim form for a dealership to sign anything. So do you know what we need to do with this claim form?

Maybe the dealer will enter the mileage info into a computer app for processing, hence no "form".

At any rate, you won't be the only person going to the dealer about this so they should know what to do when you come in. Be sure to ask for a free wash while you're there. ;)