Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2012

1101112131416»

Comments

• pflyerpflyer Member Posts: 25
    Did you happen to notice the average mph as listed in the computer?

Also, did your GPS come up with the same distance as the trip odometer?

One last thing: Did you use cruise for most/all of the trip?

Thanks for the report. Sounds very similar to my experiences/take on Elantra.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited September 2013
    1. I did cycle through it a lot but it reset on each fill. I remember 46mph a lot as I did a lot of expressway and the back roads in Texas have a lot of 65-70 speed limits. The trip computer seemed to reset itself when it went over 1000 miles. Didn't quite understand that. The first time it happened on "trip b" I thought I must have hit the reset button by mistake but when it happened a couple of times on both "trip a" and "trip b" I figured it must have reset back to 0 at 1000 miles. I guess Hyundai didn't figure on anyone wanting to keep track of a longer trip or I was doing something wrong.

Something about the roads in Texad though, one two lane state road we drove on even had a 75mph limit which my sister and I thought was crazy. We especially liked the "watch for loose gravel" sign right before the "caution curve-65mph limit" sign. Just crazy in opinion. That same road had a 70mph daytime limit on it a couple of years ago which changed to 60mph at night. Now, it's 75 day and night.

2. If their was a difference I didn't notice it. I did notice that the speed on the little Garmin perfectly matched the speed and seemingly the distance on the speedometer. I didn't drive straight through in one trip. I would reset the GPS to my first hotel stop and then reset it the next day for "home". So I don't think it kept cumulative miles.

3. Yes, I used cruise almost 100% on expressways and usually set it to about 4mph over the limit. There was one stretch of about 150 miles in SW Missouri that I got a little rambunctious and was going about 10 over as I was trying to get to Joplin by a certain time. So I would have to say my speeds ran from about 69-79 most of the time.
  • longhorn13longhorn13 Member Posts: 2
    I am upset with my Elantra GT. I had it a month ago with good deal with the dealer, and drove 5000 miles across the country.

I just cannot understand how on the earth such small car with small engine delivers so little mpg!
    I expected to have a low torque car but seriously how this little engine manages so low mpg (average 28-31 highway, City 19-25 mpg)!

I mean my 13 years old two times heavier grand Cherokee with 6 cylinder 4 liter engine delivers me 19-22 mpg combined with so much power! In more than a decade, where is the improvement!
    Couple observations:

In US, most regions except few places like lower Florida, there is decreasing or increasing elevation roads. For instance someone above me who had better mileage drove it from Chicago to DFW, I drove that road more than 20 times; elevation drops towards the middle of the road. That affects a lot!

Secondly, I never observed in my Jeep but the place you bought gas affects also a lot in Elantra’s MPG.

Even I compare the best MPG numbers with 0 ethanol, cruise control and no AC, I got 36 for very short period of miles.

30 highway mpg could have been acceptable if the city averages 28; but no; it doesn’t.
    It’s my first new car, I feel cheated, never ever buy Hyundai again! Just let me know when it is good time to trade in this car without losing 6-7 thousand dollars.
  • gman4911gman4911 Member Posts: 43
    It sounds like you drive with a lead foot. The key to getting good MPGs with the Elantra is smooth and easy acceleration, coasting as much as possible, and avoid idling as much as possible. When accelerating, avoid making the tachometer exceed 2000-2250 rpms. Any higher and you're wasting fuel. When approaching stop lights/signs, if you cannot take your foot off the gas and count to 15 or 20 (or more) before applying the brakes, you're wasting fuel. Getting the car to move from a dead stop (i.e. idling at traffic lights, stop and go traffic, etc) uses a lot of fuel so be observant of the traffic ahead of you and coast as much as possible to minimize the time idling at traffic lights. It also helps to keep your tire pressure a couple psi above factory recommended.
  • garlandcarygarlandcary Member Posts: 10
    That was my conclusion as well. My best mileage was observed along a 20-or-so-mile stretch of freeway with very little (if any) elevation change, no A/C, no passengers, very little cargo. But in the real world, mileage never got anywhere near the EPA (idealized) estimates–while the car I replaced the Elantra with, a Honda Accord Sport, exceeds the EPA estimates in real world driving (lots of elevation changes, passengers and/or cargo) by, on average, 1 mpg for both city and highway.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    ----"But in the real world, mileage never got anywhere near the EPA (idealized) estimates–while the car I replaced"

Read my post a few back. I own no Hyundais and never have but I rented an Elantra(Avis choice, not mine) and made a trip to Texas. A/C on the whole trip and went through some pretty darn hilly country in central Missouri. If I took just the freeway portion, I averaged about 39mpg by the trip computer. But my manual calculation had it at about 38mpg. That is exactly what the EPA says it should do if I remember correctly. So yes, the Elantra I rented could do it fairly easily with two passengers, with luggage and the A/C on. I drive speed limit plus about 4mph so speeds were between 69-79 and cruise control was used almost all the time.
  • longhorn13longhorn13 Member Posts: 2
    Nope, EPA estimates for that vehicle (adjusted to new standards) 14-16-20. I was getting 90% 20-21 combined. And this is the first vehicle I drove which I wasn't getting higher than EPA.

I was almost getting hit by trucks while speeding at 2000-2250 rpms range while entering high way. But that even didn't help. That brings another problem, the max torque is at 4500 rpm which is on the high side.
  • gman4911gman4911 Member Posts: 43
    In order to achieve the EPA numbers, you need to drive in a manner similar to the way the EPA tested it, no? Take a look at the EPA Test Parameters. Does it resemble the way you drive? Why do you think the EPA numbers are always accompanied by a 'Your mileage may vary' disclaimer?
  • litesong2litesong2 Member Posts: 44
    Update:
    My summer Elantra mpg, using 100% gasoline, with 15% city driving, tire pressures 38psi, all tanks with 3 to 7+ cooldowns(no continuous driving), my average has been 39.5mpg. Seven of my last ten tanks have been 40mpg or more. Top mpg have been 43 & 42.5mpg. Accelerations have been very light & highway speeds have been 55-60mpg, with freeway speeds 61-66mph, very few 70mph. With 100% gasoline, the engine has been wonderfully smooth, easy running, & quiet. On the new experimental smooth "quiet pavements", with wind, road & tire noise low, Elantra has a magic carpet ride.
  • cobylaxcobylax Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I was looking to lease a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS and was wondering what kind of deals other had gotten recently. Specifically, I am looking for purchase price and financing terms. Also, if you know about any dealer incentive programs that can allow me to negotiate under the Invoice rate. I am looking for the standard package (not preferred) with w/mud flaps and floor mats. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Hi - this discussion is about fuel economy on the Elantra. You can see what lease deals others are getting in our Elantra Lease Questions discussion, and if you still have questions, that's the best place to post.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• betzesbetzes Member Posts: 1
    We have the same problem, the dealer said that the tires need to be rotated every 7500 miles. The thing that really surprises me is that our rear tires are in worse shape than the drive tires.
  • rickyred2057rickyred2057 Member Posts: 3
    Every time some one complains about poor mileage, some one reply's , your a led foot.This car sucks for mileage. I own a 2012 Elantra GLS with 38K and in echo and cruse set to 65MPG, your lucky to see 29 to 31MPG. I have owned older Hondas that saw over 40MPG on the highway. The faults of this car far out way the good. Poor suspension, MPG, Factory tires. Have you ever tried to drive this car on a narrow, twisty, bumpy mountain road? R.J
  • eweinereweiner Member Posts: 36
    I seems to me that you don't understand how the MPG is displayed. Its is not a instant reading but a cumulative look at your MPG.

So, if your doing a lot of city driving and your MPG is say 26….its going to take a lot of highway driving at 65 to overcome that MPG of 26.

I normally get about 30 MPG combined. I recently drove from DC to Harrisonburg VA and at the end of that drive I had pushed my MPG to 40.

You're not seeing 40 because the majority of your driving is city.

The car can do 40 but only if the majority of your driving is highway and 65 MPH.
  • whatfuturewhatfuture Member Posts: 46

@aviboy97 said:
    An interesting article I stumbled across yesterday. I wonder if a group like this actually has any weight to throw around to help those who are experencing poor FE with the Elantra?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/02/consumer-group-cries-foul-on-hyundais-40-mpg-- claim/

Thanks! I read the article. Consumer Rpts. auto buying guide has been my auto bible since I started driving. They were a mainstay in my family for many, many years. In 1979, they were spot on with their review of my Dodge Colt (problems and good stuff). But I bought other cars due to their unbiased reviews. I used it for the Elantra, which was one point less for their driving test than the Subaru Impreza. I believe in its accuracy at that point in time. Times have changed, though. They no longer do the drag coefficient rating and I'm sure other ratings I've forgotten. They never mention the batteries in the car were rated the lowest of the low some years ago by them. They don't talk about the flimsy gas cover. They don't mention the lousy tires but add putting sporty tires on a new car may not help. I guess they're saying deal with it until you can do your research and put on what you think is best. In what I see as an oxymoron they state, "Fuel economy of 27 mpg overall is nothing special ..." But Fuel is erroneously stated in their box stats at 28/38. Honestly, I think they missed the boat on this one.

We know the facts that if you drive at 55 mph, your gas mileage will be higher. You no longer can compare unleaded ethanol with unleaded. Ethanol and all the grief with it is the standard today. Gas mileage drops and the car should be tested with it. Yes, EPA results have been higher than actual driving but not this much. Add to that if people are depending on the car computer to provide accurate MPG results, you're assuming it's correct. I don't. I have a spreadsheet with running mileage results from manual calcs.

Fowler3 suggests manufacturers are out to trick consumers. I don't know if it's true or not but Hyundai has had massive advertising campaigns/blitzes and I've read the metrics. Have their cars improved over the last 20 years - they look better and are designed better. Are they better, though? I don't know. For example, my Elantra has the worst non-performing tires I've ever had. They toss in a cheap battery. The gas cover will break one day; I've never had anything more flimsy. So, while other manufacturers don't seem to go to this extreme Hyundai does.

I wish (I'm fantasizing) our government would so something about manufacturers who receive "x" number of the same complaints (real ones) on their vehicles. But it won't happen. Welcome to free enterprise.

• totall77totall77 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2014

In London Ontario Canada there's a class action law suit taking place, March 14th any submissions have to be in by march 12th, regarding the poor fuel economy, and hyundai is trying to settle with everyone here like a one time buy out,, if your canadian and want to take place or add insite to your poor mileage, contact McKenzie Lake lawyers LLP 1800-261 4844 ext 287 regards inquiries to the case,, I hope Hyundai is made to pay for lying to use all , and if you want more information goto www.classaction.ca

• yetimikeyetimike Member Posts: 3

I purchased by new 2012 Elantra GLS in July 2011. The car got the admiring looks and performed well without problems for the 2 year lease I had. I waited about a year to break in the car, 9k miles before I started to seriously look at why my mileage was not getting the claimed mileage the EPA recorded on the sticker of 29/40 hwy. I left the comfort and performance in my Nissan Rogue that averaged 25 MPG for the Elantra that was averaging 27 MPG, using the standard filling my tank full and dividing the gallons against the mile driven. The Elantra perform poorly in the city driving of 25-35mph, with stops every few blocks. According to the car's computer, I averaged 18-19 MPG, when it was rated at 29. So I only got 200 miles on a tank full. I expected to average at least 30 mph for combined Hwy/City for this type of car. I did pursue the rebate when Hyundai lowered the MPG, but I felt that the car wasn't even getting the new adjustment mileage. This rebate total $55 for the first year and $25 for the second year, which came in the form of rebate credit, but you had to visit the dealership to acquire the rebate. The average 27 MPG mileage I got was in the economy mode, just 1 mile better than regular mode. This is a California emissions car with 16" tires, 1.8L 4cyl. I would coast the car in neutral and roll the car 1000 feet to a stop. I'm 6'3, 230 pounds, and had up to 50 pounds in the trunk. I traded the car in for a more comfortable ride, a 2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4cyl. A much heavier car with larger 2.5 L engine and I have a real spare tire to boot! I get the same mileage as my Elantra in town, but overall I get 3 mpg less with the Sonata. I think the Elantra's smaller engine is just struggles on the MPG in the city. I think on the freeways it's true to new reported 38 mpg now. But realistically I don't drive the post freeway speeds. I just know that I got better mileage driving a Honda Civic and a VW Jetta and was averaging 32mpg with better performance. I just expected the Elantra's claims should be truthful.

• litesong2litesong2 Member Posts: 44
     Update w/nearly 17,000 miles at 13 months since new. Using 100% (ethanol-free) gasoline, tires at 38psi & my alignment is very very good, careful driving, ~ 15% city driving, I've averaged 38.5 mpg(hand calculated, not trip computer). Tho the engine has 148 HP, its torque is a miserably low 131 lbs-ft. Not only will you NOT get hot performance, but the low torque will kill your mpg if you try to get it to perform. If you accelerate as fast as everyone else on the road, say bye bye to mpg. From careful mpg records from 3 previous cars, 100% gasoline raises mpg from 8% to 5%. Higher air pressures help a lot, too. But lower your air pressures in rainy or snowy weather. 

For those with poor mpg, make sure your spark plugs are gapped properly. One Chevy forum had lots of complaints of poor mpg. Many members discovered their spark plug gaps were way too small. Re-gapping properly & most all members got considerably better mpg!!!!! So check them plugs!

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    If you live in the NYC metro area and have a 2007-2012 Ford Fusion, Honda CR-V, Honda Odyssey or Hyundai Elantra that you could bring into Manhattan this Friday morning, please write PR@edmunds.com to learn about a unique opportunity.

If you have any friends/family who qualify, please send them our way!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews