Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Forester and synthetic blend

logtraillogtrail Member Posts: 74
2006 Forester with 60k miles. Since new I have assumed that this car
took a synthetic blend 5-30 and have topped it up with that when needed.
Today when I went in for my oil change I mentioned to the rep that it took
synthetic blend. He said, no, just regular 5-30 and that's what they put in.
When I got home I went thru all of my receipts and saw that at my 1st oil change (7k miles) the receipt said SYNB, which I assume is synthetic blend.
Two questions: 1) Altho the manual does not recommend the syn blend, was this a typical oil used for the 06. 2) did I do any harm by topping up with the syn blend?

Comments

• logtraillogtrail Member Posts: 74
    Forgot to add that every receipt after the 1st one at 7k miles did not have the
    SYNB code, so I assume that it has been regular 5-30.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Doesn't hurt a thing, logtrail. If the blend you were purchasing was more expensive than "regular" oil, you wasted a little money, but no harm done.

As long as the oil meets the appropriate rating, you can use regular, blend, or full synthetic without harming your engine.

I run a full synthetic 0w-30 in my 2010 Forester on annual (about 13-15K miles) intervals, and I don't even have to add any oil to it during that time frame.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250