Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Kia Rio5: Real Time Fuel Economy (MPG).

Comments

• btatrbtatr Member Posts: 75
    edited January 2013
    I never believed those fairly tale EPA numbers, and except for city only driving mpg, I'm pleased with my highway only and combined driving results. As I've stated before, everything in life is relative. If you are someone who is obsessed with mpg above all else, then the RIO probably isn't your kind of vehicle.

However, if you want a wide array of terrific features, which I described in my previous post, and enjoy driving this fabulous car for so many reasons, you'll be a much happier person. It's no secret that I love my RIO SX 5 door as I don't allow my disappointment with city only mileage to ruin an incredibly fun experience when I'm behind the wheel of my nimble SX.

I choose to concentrate on that long list of features which makes this is such a fabulous car for the money. I learned that lesson a long time ago, don't dwell on the negatives in your life, concentrate on all of the positives and you will feel so much better.

And best of all guys, I'm always afraid to say this, but I haven't had one single problem with my RIO SX in 13 months. My girlfriend's KIA Forte SX had one minor trim related issue in two years. Wow! That's what I'm talking about!
  • phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    In order to keep the peace and not break my 2013 resolution that I would not continue this ridiculous banter, I will let you have the (Last) word, indeed. Odd that you refer to the EPA and its "fairtytale" Fuel Estimates. Guess my Ford Fiesta with its 1.6 ltr (non-GDI) engine and its clunky erky/jerky 6 speed automatic transmission, low H.P. and Torque must be a "Pixie". 33/35 mpg city and 41/43 mpg highway from day one with A/C engaged constantly. Not that`s what (I`m) talking bout! Happy New Year and may your love affair with your Kia Rio5 SX last a lifetime or until you trade it in, (till death do you part) as they say, lol.
    edited January 2013
    When buying a new car ask yourself what's important. If you are like some of the negative thinking members in this forum who are literally obsessed with MPG and don't appreciate the wide array of outstanding extras packed with this vehicle, look elsewhere. However, if you want very good gas mileage plus a bevy of nifty features at an excellent price, then the RIO SX is your car. I literally love driving my SX, I can't wait to get behind the wheel every day of the week.

Here's a partial listing of the great features on the SX:

LED lighting on the front, rear, and side mirrors

Sleek, aerodynamic look and check out those nifty wheels

UVO, Jukebox, backup camera, folding outside mirrors

Lots of room for a car in this class and excellent comfort on long trips

It's not a sports car but it has tight, nimble handling plus brisk acceleration

A long list of safety features packaged with the best warranty in the industry

Outstanding workmanship and reliability
    In the interest of "Full" public disclosure, you forgot to mention in addition to the long list of fabulous features on your 2012 Kia Rio5 "SX", this unabashed endorsement brought to you courtesy of Kia Motors America, Irvine, CA Seriously, if your not a (paid) shill for Kia, you should be. Such "religious" devotion! Period, case closed. Cheers I`ve never know even Audi or BMW Owners that shared you enthusiasm for their vehicles, really....Honest , I promise, not another comment from me in this Forum on this topic, EVER!
    Phil failed to live up to his promise to give me the last word.
    Phill1 wrote the following about me, "if your not a (paid) shill for Kia, you should be."

I'm really tired of his personal insults and inability to debate the issues around KIA RIOs and avoid personal attacks. If Phill1 cannot stay on the subject of KIA RIOs, may I suggest he go to another forum where he can insult somebody else.

I love my RIO for the reasons cited in previous posts and couldn't care less what Phill1 thinks. Please read what I wrote earlier and decide for yourself what is important when making a decision to buy a new car. I think focusing solely on mpg is very short sighted and narrow minded, but that's my point of view.

If you understand how much you get for your money with the RIO SX, you might decide to give it a test drive. See if you like it as much as I do, as well as everyone who rides in it. Everyone who rides in my car showers it with praise. I can't say that about my old 2002 Ford Focus which was very dependable but way short on features and functionality.

Please note that I have a 2012 RIO SX model which I've mentioned a million times. I have no opinion whatsoever on the EX model because I have no experience with it. Everything I say is based solely on my car.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Regardless of how you feel about any other member, personally-directed comments are NEVER acceptable. If it happens again, this discussion will be permanently closed.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Just completed my first trip in my new Rio5 LX AT that was over ~12 miles. With 290 miles on the odo to start out, drove 81 miles each way to my destination and a little in town (heavy traffic) for a total of 165.5 miles. Temps were mid-70s to low 80s, AC was on 3/4 of the time, and had heavy rain for about 25% of the trip. Rolling terrain, 65 mph limit on most of the highway portion. I tried to stick to the limit, but drove a few mph over sometimes (no cruise control on the LX).

Overall FE was 38.1 mpg, which broke down as follows: 38.5 mpg highway to destination (AC on half the time, but rain half the time), then two days of a little in-town driving in rush hours, which brought FE down to 36.4. Then averaged 39.6 mpg on the return trip (AC on all the time). I think the return trip had more downhill than the outbound leg. It also had a few slowdowns for construction.

So I'm happy with these early results. I suspect that when the engine has more miles on it, I'll be able to get a bit better numbers. FWIW, before the trip I was averaging 33 mpg on all in-town driving, short trips, with mix of city and urban freeway driving. Also not too bad for a new engine I think.

Also, I found the car to be pleasant on the highway... fairly quiet for a small car (low revs help there), and a pretty smooth ride over some pretty beat up highway pavement. Tracks well. AC works well. Enjoyed Sirius. Wouldn't mind having cruise, but I got the car knowing I wouldn't be taking it on too many long trips.
    Backy: Congratulations on your new Kia Rio LX and the exceptional fuel economy your getting. Unlike 99% of the rest of us Kia Rio owners of 2012 and 2013 Models, we instead have Kia Pre-Paid Credit Cards to compensate us for our lower numbers. My 2012 Kia Rio5 LX with the 6 speed automatic transmission gets around 23 -25 mpg city and between 31-33 mpg highway and I have just over 13K miles driven. Who knows, when your brand new Rio is fully broken in, you might get better gas mileage then a hybrid! Bet Kia would like to buy that Vehicle back from you at twice what you paid for it so they could send it over to the EPA and use it to re-certify and update improved Fuel Economy estimates. They had to change and re-label all their vehicle downward and (now) they might be able to re-label again showing vastly improved numbers.
    PS I really don`t miss the Cruise Control since I hardly have a chance to use it even on the highways here due to constant traffic. I (did) miss not having the Armrest with Storage Console though. I had to purchase all the separate parts individually since Kia does`nt sell a complete Unit. It would have cost a fortune if I bought them at the Dealer but I got them on Ebay from a Seller in Korea for a very low cost and they were all genuine OEM Kia Components.
    Backy, congratulations on your new purchase, I'm sure you'll fall in love with your new car.

I have a 2012 RIO 5 SX and it's a fantastic vehicle. It is sleek, aerodynamic, comfortable, handles well, and the engine is silky smooth on the Interstate. On numerous occasions, I was doing 80 MPH on the Interstate, and because the engine is so smooth, I didn't even realize it. I'm assuming you have the same 1.6L engine in your LX model.

Good to see your excellent fuel economy numbers, but always remember, that's only one component out of many when analyzing an automobile. Here's one I think you'll like. My 2012 SX has almost 15,000 miles in slightly less than 20 months and I haven't had a single mechanical problem. I have one minor issue inside the cabin, but other than that, I think this is a very impressive record on the part of KIA.

My girlfriend and another male friend both have KIA Fortes for 2 1/2 years and neither one's had any mechanical issues in all that time.
    I really don`t miss the Cruise Control since I hardly have a chance to use it even on the highways here due to constant traffic.

No wonder you can't get over 33 mpg. In constant traffic, I'm sure I wouldn't get 38 mpg.

If Kia wants to buy my Rio back from me for twice what I paid for it, I'm all for that. But I doubt they will. If they did, they wouldn't find anything special about it. It's all about how/where/when the car is driven. "YMMV".
    Your correct. Thats exactly why both Kia and Hyundai had to re-label (downward) their EPA estimates, right? Oh, and the reason that HKAG both here in the U.S. and Canada issued Pre-loaded Credit Cards as compensation for disappointing fuel economy experienced by a majority of it buyers was done because..? Odd too that my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback, a similar size vehicle with a 6 speed automatic transmission and a 1.6 ltr engine (without) GDI gets 33-35 mpg city and 41-43 mpg highway. Same type of driving conditions experienced with (both) Cars. Thanks for your thoughtful analysis explaining how/where/when the Car is driven. "YMMV"
    Did you have some new mpg results to report, or do you just like complaining about the same old stuff? It gets a little old after the 15th time. :sick:
  • skeptic101skeptic101 Member Posts: 29
    I'm getting around 37 mpg this summer with A/C on ~ 90%, mostly rural driving (45-55 mph). Still averaging 40 mpg on Interstate but I rarely exceed 60 mph with cruise mostly on. Mine's a 2012 EX. My brother-in-law loved mine but always has to do me one better so he bought a 2013 SX. While he doesn't keep track of his mpg (that he admits to anyway), he says his fuel bill has dropped to half of what it was with the Ford Fusion he traded. That's a big deal to him since his daily commute is 50 miles each way, mostly highway. Love the rear camera and DRLs on his SX. I'm very happy with the mpg I'm getting. :)
    Skeptic, what are DRLs?
    For the "15th" time, they are known as Daytime Running Lights. Most Europeans and all Canadian vehicles are required by law to have them.
    The lowly Rio5 LX doesn't have DRLs. :( But starting with the 2001 Elantra I bought new in October 2000, I learned how to mimic DRLs: just leave the low beams on all the time. The Rio and most (all?) other Kias and Hyundais have auto-shutoff headlights. It was funny when I first discovered this feature on the 2001 Elantra. I was surprised that there was no chime to remind me to turn off the lights. Then I realized why there was no chime. :)
    Per Wikipedia:

"A daytime running lamp (DRL, also daylight running lamp or daytime running light) is an automotive lighting device on the front of a road going motor vehicle, installed in pairs, AUTOMATICALLY switched on when the vehicle is moving forward...."

I have LED lights on the front and rear of my vehicle but they do not come on automatically, I have to manually turn them on. Therefore they do not meet the Wiki definition of DRLs.
    Hyundai puts DRL`s on its Sonata, and Elantra`s now as well as its Azera, Genisis, and Equus. They are (not) LED`s, simply uses either the low beam or high beam headlamps at 80% reduced illumination.
    Daytime Running Lights (DRL). They burn when the headlights are off to make the car more noticeable in poor visibility conditions. The SX is equipped with LED DRLs just below the headlights where the "marker lamps" are on the LX and EX.
    On Canadian 2012-2013 Kia Rio and Rio5 LX and EX Models, the DRL`s are a separate lamp located next to the Parking Light Lamp below the regular Headlamp. If you look carefully on U.S. Spec Kia Rio`s you will notice an empty hole where the DRL Lamp would be on Canadian LX and EX Vehicles. Also, bottom of the line LX Kia Rio`s in Canada have Fog Lights and Armrest with Storage Box like U.S. Spec EX and SX models get standard.
    edited July 2013
    Skeptic, after your excellent explanation, I double checked the location you were talking about to confirm they do not come on in the US RIO SX model. As I stated previously in this thread, despite what some forum members claim, my SX model is not equipped with DRLs.

Thanks for the explanation.
    Skeptic, unfortunately, "btatr" is INCORRECT! U.S. Spec Kia Rio5`s in SX Trim (do) in fact have Daytime Running Lights. It is the only Kia Rio U.S. Model that has them as the LX and the EX do not. They happen to be "LED" DRL`s, not the conventional ones that work off the regular Headlamps at reduced intensity. I hope (my) explanation was equally excellent.
    edited July 2013
    I know Phil enjoyed stating I was incorrect in capital letters but there are no lights on my front end during daylight driving. Maybe they are technically described as DRLs, but what's the significance of that terminology if no lights are actually on?

During the day, my car was parked in complete shade, the engine was running, and I manually turned the lights on and off. When the lights were off there was absolutely nothing lit up on the front of my car. Who knows? Maybe the computer knows when the car is stationary versus in motion?

I'm going to check again after dark. But even if lights automatically come on at night, I don't think that would legitimately be classified as daylight running lights.
    What I know is that my brother-in-law's Rio5 SX has LED DRLs, as does every other Rio5 SX I've seen on the road. They come on automatically and stay on until the automatic headlights come on, then they dim. My Rio5 EX has in incandescent lamp under the headlights that Kia calls a "position lamp". We used to call them parking lights. It is described in my manual as a P21/5 which is a dual filament 21 watt / 5 watt bulb (GE 1157). I'm assuming the 21 watt filament becomes an incandescent DRL in those countries that require them. I would love to look at the back of this socket to see if I could somehow use the bright half of the bulb as a DRL (using an aftermarket DRL control), however, the manual recommends removal of the bumper cover for access. It isn't that important.
    edited July 2013
    Perhaps if you looked at your Owners manual or the Literature of the features that the SX model comes with as Standard equipment you will see that under the regular Headlamps on the SX Model are LED`s that are the DRL`s or Daytime Running Lights and the (only) U.S. Spec KIa Rio`s that have DRL`s. The Owners manual may have a description how to deactivate or shut them off if so desired here in the U.S. where they are (not) mandated by law like in Canada. If you can`t figure out how to "activate/enable" the LED DRL`s on your "SX" should you desire to have that feature, perhaps its time to bring your Vehicle into a Kia Dealership`s Service Department and have a Technician trouble shoot the problem. Problem? Issues? Some say that Daytime Running Lights uses energy and power drain and might fractionally cause a reduction in Fuel Economy that may result in loss of .08 MPG. Better factor that in before you desire to have the DRL`s enabled. The Kia Sportage in SX Trim also has the LED DRL`s and they are on automatically as well during the Daytime too.
    If you examine carefully the Headlamp Cluster carefully on your U.S. Spec Kia Rio LX or EX, you will find an empty hole socket next to the Parking Lamp you described as 21 watt/5 watt bulb (GE1157). It (may) be the spot when the Position Light or DRL Lamp Bulb goes in Canadians and other market Vehicles where DRL`s come as standard equipment. Not only would you need perhaps to have the Lamp Assembly installed but the Wiring and the DRL Module as well assuming that its not incorporated in the Vehicles BCM, or Body Control Module which controls features like the Automatic Door Locking feature. All Ford U.S. vehicles , even U.S. Spec ones can have the DRL`s enabled/activated simply by having a Technician access the BCM using an IDS Programmer and the Cars "smart junction box". I would`nt install an after market non-Kia OEM DRL Module because if something in the Electrical system failed, they might blame the after market accessory and Void your Factory Warranty an claim it caused the problem.
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the advice skpetic and I have 2 comments.

1. I double checked the lights last night in the dark, and just as I reported previously, there are no lights on in the front of my car unless I manually turn them on.

2. This is not an issue for me because if and when I do need the LED running lights, a flick of the switch on my steering wheel lever turns them on. I have no desire nor need for them while driving in sunny weather, so I'm happy. In fact, I prefer it this way.

Mystery Resolved

I checked the owner's manual and instead of manually turning on the LED lights as I always do, there's an AUTO option on the steering wheel lever which will automatically turn on the LED and headlights, but only in low light (per the manual).
    I did as you suggested and there is not an additional hole in mine, or even a knockout as best as I can tell. Using a magnifying glass I was able to tell that the existing bulb is a dual filament 1157 type. Wiring for all the lamps comes from a connector on the back of the housing. There are 6 wires from the loom to the connector so I am guessing one of those is for the DRL (low, high, park, turn, DRL and ground?). I'll leave it to someone else to find the DRL wire, cut it and connect it to an aftermarket DRL control. Of course, none of this has anything to do with MPG. Sorry I brought it up.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Just so you know, DRL (at least in Cda) use the high beam filament at reduced voltage when activated. Activation happens once you move gear selector out of Park and into Drive and move a few feet.

I'm glad you did post, cuz I found out that one of my favourite bulbs is still used for park and directional lighting...the infamous 1157. And in a brand new car. I'm impressed with Kia for doing this. There was never a valid reason to replace that great little bulb with the slip in type except to make them more money when replacement becomes necessary. I abhor change for the sake of change and light bulbs are always on the hit list with mfgrs.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    not sure on the Rio but my Canadian Soul DRL's operates as you say using the high beam bulb at reduced voltage, however, the DRL's come on as soon as you start the car in PARK position, if you pull on the handbrake the DRL's go off.

they have been used on Canadian vehicles since 1991
    I was driving home earlier this afternoon on a bright, sunny day. Suddenly the skies became very dark and overcast so I decided to play around and switched to AUTO Mode for the lights. I drove approximately 3 miles and the lights never came on. I pulled into a parking space where it was very dark, exited the vehicle and double checked, still no lights.

The only lights which came on were the dashboard lights for the speedometer and tachometer.

This is not a complaint because I actually prefer manual control with the flick of a switch on the steering wheel lever. So I must report with my American Model SX, the so called DRLs do not work as advertised.
    DRLs don't work like that. They are called "DAYTIME running lights" for a reason. On cars so equipped, they are on ALL THE TIME when the car is running. An example of that is my wife's 2013 Sonata, which has DRLs. Start the car, leave the headlight switch in the OFF position, and the DRLs are shining.

The "Auto" switch, which is on the Sonata also, controls the regular headlights, and turns them on/off as lighting dictates. So when the Sonata is in our garage, dark with no windows, and I start the car with the "Auto" switch engaged, the headlights come on. Back out into daylight, and the headlights go off. I find however that they don't come on every time I'd like them on, e.g. it's pretty cloudy but they still don't come on even though I'd prefer to have the lights on.

If your Rio's headlights didn't come on in a very dark parking space with "Auto" headlights engaged, and you left the engine running when you got out to check them, you should have that checked by the dealer because they don't seem to be operating correctly.
    Backy I completely agree with you. In a previous message, I said my SX does not have DRLs and one of our forum members derived some type of pleasure by stating I was incorrect.

I in turn checked the owner's manual and found no references to DRLs so I knew I was right. However, I did learn that the Auto switch is the closest thing to a DRL on my SX. But yes you are correct, that is not the same thing as a DRL, my little story was nothing more than a simple experiment.

The fact that the Auto Switch apparently doesn't work properly on my car is a non issue because I never use that feature. As stated above, I only did it this time as a very basic learning experience.

I definitely prefer manual control of my lights
    . And believe me, it couldn't be any easier. All I have to do is is turn a switch on a lever attached to the steering wheel a fraction of an inch. That takes virtually no effort whatsoever.
    Still, I'd have it checked while the car is still under warranty if I were you. The next owner might like automatic lights.
    edited July 2013
    btatr; As much as I have enjoyed arguing and disputing the difference in our opinions on the Kia Rio5 which we both own, yours an SX and mine a lowly LX with the optional Power Package of PW and PL, I must admit that I recently found out that U.S. Spec Kia Rio and Rio5`s in SX Trim "Do Not" come equipped with DRL`s or Daytime Running Lights! It appears that when the Car Magazines got to drive the first 2012 U.S. Spec Rio5`s, they in fact (Did) have the DRL`s. They were however, early production Models. Kia decided for some unknown reason to make the LED`s on U.S. Spec Models simply Parking/Accent Lights, (instead) of utilizing them as they are used, ever where else in the World this Vehicle is sold. Kia has made the DRLs available as part of a Package on its U.S. Spec 2014 Forte. I was correct however, the U.S. Spec. 2012 Kia Sportage and 2013 Kia Sportage in "SX" Trim, which has the identical LED Lighting as the Kia Rio, on those Vehicles, they are Daytime Running Lights, not simply Parking/Accent Lights which must be activated manually. "Mea Culpa" I have no problem admitting to a mistake. Like I have stated often, one is always entitled to their own (opinion) not their own (facts). Your Kia Rio5 SX obviously does (not) have DRL`s. No need to check with your Kia Dealership, sorry.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    ...but let's send the DRL commentary where it belongs: Kia Rio Electrical issues

Keep the focus here on MPG - thanks!
    KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
    edited July 2013
    OK, let's get back to mpg and maybe someone can help with a mystery?

I lived in a mid-Atlantic state in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains and made 2 long, round trip drives to south Florida. It seemed pretty logical to me that once I got to FL my fuel economy would go up because the state is flat as a board, no more hills. Well guess what, that didn't happen as fuel economy actually went down.

In the Carolinas I was getting between 37-38 mpg on the Interstate in a vehicle packed with luggage and household items. However, when I reached southern GA and entered FL my fuel economy consistently went to down to about 36-36.5 mpg. And it stayed that way for the next 400 miles. Admittedly, there was a lot of road construction on I-95 but there were also long stretches where I hardly stopped. And I also realize we're not talking about a huge drop but it certainly is significant, especially since I thought mpg would rise.

Let's eliminate a problem with the car as the cause because when I drove home, as I left FL and got further north, my fuel economy went back up to the aforementioned numbers. And this wasn't a one time event because on my 2nd round trip two weeks later, again with a full car, the same thing happened with fuel economy.

Maybe the road surfaces are different on FL highway? Maybe the hot weather and hot road surfaces combined reduce mpg? I don't know, do any forum members have a logical explanation?
    edited July 2013
    I think you hit it on the nose:

Admittedly, there was a lot of road construction on I-95...

Some people have no idea what effect even a few slowdowns for traffic can have on highway FE. I've seen that myself on highway trips with different cars. One thing you should do is check your average speed before entering FL, then check it again leaving FL. I'll bet you'll see a significant drop.

Another factor could be the hotter weather in FL, if you tend to run your AC more there than in the Carolinas. Also, when you fill up at home, do you buy oxygenated gas or pure gas? If you buy pure gas at home then fill up with oxygenated gas in FL, that will affect FE negatively also.

And when you reach your destination in FL, do you do any driving off the freeway, or just turn around and head back home? ;) I'll bet you drive around town for awhile... and that will cut into your average.

BTW... a drop from 37 to 36 mpg is a 2.7% reduction. Not really that big, IMO. And easily explained by circumstances such as I've described.
    edited July 2013
    * Same type of gas
    * It's hot in the Carolinas so the A/C is always on
    * In town stop and go driving mpg is down in FL. On the other hand, if you miss a green light in FL, you wind up sitting at an intersection for 3-4 minutes (at least it feels that way). In the Carolinas I rarely have to wait more than one minute at a red light.

Finally, I realize it's not a huge drop in mpg but the reason I started this topic is I expected fuel economy to go up, not down in FL, because the roads are flat.
    On the other hand, if you miss a green light in FL, you wind up sitting at an intersection for 3-4 minutes (at least it feels that way). In the Carolinas I rarely have to wait more than one minute at a red light.

That alone could easily explain a 2.7% drop in FE.

As for flat roads... I find FE tends to even out pretty much on hills, if you're going downhill as much as uphill. But here's something to consider: What's your starting elevation, and what's the elevation in FL? In general, driving to FL, I'll bet you are going downhill more than uphill. So that should aid FE driving to FL. But you also said you see your FE increase after you leave FL. So that leads me to the construction zones and longer waits at lights in FL as the main culprits.
    ELEVATION! Hmmmmmmmmmm....., you may have hit on something.

I was thinking they possibly use a different type of gasoline in FL, maybe a slightly different type of road surface, and finally the intense heat coming off the roadway as the possible culprits. I'm not ruling any of them out, but you came up with something brand new and that's why I posted this question.

Maybe the lower elevation of FL impacts fuel economy in a negative manner?

It sounds just as plausible as the other possibilities mentioned above.
    edited July 2013
    Realizing full well that in this Blog, I am "persona non grata" for mentioning (anything) negative about about the 2012/2013 Kia Rio and its Fuel Economy, since (I) do live in South FL and have been residing here for the past 15 years I can assure you, its the Vehicle "not" Florida, the Roads, nor the intense heat. I just made a trip across the State this past weekend from FT Lauderdale to Naples on I 75, aka, Alligator Alley. It is almost 100 miles of straight, perfectly flat highway. My 2012 Kia Rio got barely 31 mpg highway with (zero) city driving, no road construction. I use regular octane gasoline that contains up to 10% ethanol which is basically the only gasoline to be find down here regardless of what grade of gasoline you use. I will admit, I was averaging almost 80 mph, it was raining hard, and the A/C was engaged. "My" Kia Rio has never, I repeat, never exceeded 33 mpg highway ever, at lower speeds, clear sky, winter or summer, etc. If my Rio ever reached 36 mpg or above, I`d be thrilled. The Fuel Economy you experienced for this particular Car is excellent and there is no need for complaint IMO. By the way, I was by myself with almost no luggage and only the Donut Spare Emergency Tire and Jack Assembly Kit which I replaced the Toy Air Compressor and Can of Tire Sealant Goo that came with the Vehicle. Maybe all that extra weight explains the miserable Fuel Economy I experience in both city & highway, you think?
    edited July 2013
    Phil1 completely missed the point of my post. I'm not talking about all KIA RIOs, only my car, a 2012 RIO SX. The very same vehicle in the Carolinas consistently got better mileage then it did in FL which surprised me big time. The only variable in this equation was the location.

As an aside, during the aforementioned FL trips, because I spent so much time on the Interstate, I decided to experiment with going slower. I normally travel between 70-75 mph on the Interstate, occasionaly going up to 80 mph without realizing it.

However, when I made a conscious effort to slow down to the speed limit, 65 mph, I noticed fuel economy improved approximately 1 to 1.5 mpg. Unfortunately I couldn't maintain that slower speed for very long .
    I`m sorry, I simply (wrongly) assumed the (Vehicle) in question that you drove to Florida was a 2012 Kia Rio. My misunderstanding. If another Make or Model car was driven, you absolutely correct, it makes no difference whatsoever. If it was a 2012 Kia Rio, the fact that it was (yours) not mine, the point is? A reasonable person would assume that similar Vehicles would produce similar results under similar conditions, correct? You know....Apples with Apples comparisons? Again, I apologize for once again assuming.
    Maybe the lower elevation of FL impacts fuel economy in a negative manner?

I doubt it, unless it has something to do with slightly denser air at a lower elevation.

But that was not my point. My point was, if you start off at, say, 1000 feet, and get to FL and the elevation is 50 feet, you've been going downhill (on average) during that trip.

Then there's the construction zones, and waiting more at traffic lights. All those little things combined are enough IMO to cause a 2.7% drop in FE.

The real solution to your dilemma is: stay the heck out of FL!!! :)
    edited July 2013
    Backy, I realized that wasn't your point because you did your usual excellent job of explaining yourself. I was merely trying to say that raising the issue of elevation made wonder if that had any impact on mileage. I still think it's as valid as any of the other possibilities mentioned in both of our posts.

You had me LOL with that dilemma comment about FL.
    I whole heartedly agree as well. Another "excellent" explanation! Most Floridians feel the same way, believe it or not, LOL. We always show (complainers) the easiest to follow directions to reach either I 95 or I 75 North! Thanks for helping keep Florida without a State Income Tax.
    I believe mpg differences are attributable to wind direction and ethanol content. The best mpg I ever achieved was 42 mpg where I filled up at a station out in the boonies 50 miles north of Tampa and refueled in Chattanooga. I was being chased by a hurricane so I had a tail wind and very dense air. No A/C. The same trip south just a few days prior resulted in 38 mpg, filling up in Chattanooga. Same weight both ways, two people with luggage. Because of air quality problems Chattanooga's gas is 10% ethanol. I doubt there is any requirement in the boonies of central FL. All mileage was calculated using my GPS, not the car's trip computer. :)
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    edited July 2013
    Average 29.67 mpg
    Worst 21.29 mpg
    Best 40.79 mpg

I switched Android phones in September, so these averages are for 10 months. Mileage entered under previous phone was roughly the same, although this represents the best and worst tanks. Lots of hot weather running. MPG gauge about three mpg high.
    Just curious of what the excellent explanation would be to why the Gasoline requirement in the "Boonies" of Central Florida would be less restrictive to those along the coastline. The "I 4" corridor near Orlando has some of the worst traffic and air pollution on the entire peninsula. At least along the Ocean or Gulf, there is usually a sea breeze and air movement. Its because of that, the Federal Government eliminated the need for annual pollution testing on automobiles here. The only place in FL I have found pure non-ethanol Gasoline is a few locations along Route 1 in Monroe County in the Florida Keys. Its mostly to supply gasoline for folks trailering their boats that have Outboard Motors that many still require non-ethanol gas.