Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey 2010 EX...WORST VEHICLE IN 35 YEARS!

oldsalt_buyeroldsalt_buyer Member Posts: 1
In my lifetime, I have purchased domestic and imported cars and trucks and typically purchase 1 to3 year old vehicles to avoid the depreciation hit. The 2010 Honda Odyssey was my first lease and as such was new. This vehicle has had more problems than a lemon Range Rover I purchased back in 1998. At least the Range Rover was a nice vehicle to drive when it was running.

I am posting this message in the hopes of helping all those consumers considering buying or leasing a new or used Honda Odyssey.

Within the first month of driving the suspension was so poor that upon inspection by Honda's rep. it was decided to replace the entire suspension on all four wheels. This should have been the sign that I made a very poor choice in leasing the Honda, but I thought perhaps this is an isolated issue and my luck would change.

Since then and during the three past three years, I have had transmission failure, torque converter failure, ECO failure, Tire Pressure Monitoring System failure, Traction Control Failure....numerous electrical issues. The latest being that the vehicle just won't start and appears as though the battery is dead. Yet after waiting 10 to 20 minutes and jumping the battery, it starts as if the problem never occured. I have had the alternator and battery tested and both function properly. It is as though the vehicle is haunted.

I have had cars and trucks and estimate at least 20 vehicles during the past 35 years and this Honda Odyssey is by far the worse. What makes the matter most troubling is that Honda and its dealer network are convinced this is the best vehicle since sliced bread and refuse to listen to a consumer's complaint, or for that matter, give it much merit.

My second most problematic vehicle a 1998 Range Rover at least had a supportive dealer network that recognized the vehicle has issues and some are made like crap. With that said, they at least make an attempt to satisfy you by offering free loaners...ride to and from one's office, and honest service managers that truly explain that some vehicles are made crappy and some are perfect. You will NEVER find a Honda Service Manager or Adviser to admit the Odyssey is a piece of crap or that a consumer could have purchased one by assemblers that were out to lunch.

Please take my advice and and by another minivan. The Honda dealer in my area uses Eneterprise Rental Car and my rental was either a Dodge Caravan or Town & Country which was a dream compared to our Honda Odyssey.

Comments

• waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    edited December 2011
    It's because the Honda Odyssey is produced and engineered in the United States. Most of the common problems could have been avoided if it was produced in Japan instead. Since 1999, the Odyssey has ALWAYS been Honda's least-reliable car model. Honda's USA quality (meaning Honda cars produced in North America) is DIFFERENT to Honda's Japan quality (produced in Japan), despite how many people will disagree or deny this claim, and I have many valid proofs to back it up. To sum it up quick, Honda built LESS-reliable cars than Toyota in North America, while Honda built MORE-reliable cars than Toyota in Japan, based on the 40-year average trend since 1970 provided by Consumer Reports and other reliable sources. When the Odyssey was first released in 1995 and manufactured in Japan through 1998, it scored the HIGHEST in reliability of any new cars and trucks from all auto makes, and it was very extreme and overrated at that time. NONE of the new cars made today for the past 13-16 years can match the high reliability rating score with the 1995-1998 Honda Odyssey. When the Odyssey transferred production to North America in 1999, reliability sank by more than 70%, and it still continues to be at that range today. The Odyssey used to be Honda's most reliable car model, and it's now the least reliable today.

And to make it even more embarrassing and to further valid my proof, Honda Accord is now the LEAST reliable Japanese-brand family-sized sedan you can buy, according to Consumer Reports, when it used to be the MOST reliable, #1 Japanese sedan every year during the 1980s to the mid-1990s (10 straight consecutive years, 1983-1993). Even Mazda's own family-sized sedan (Mazda 6) is rated more reliable than Honda Accord, first time in 40 years. All SIX other Japanese automakers, including the small Suzuki company, have already beaten or swallowed up Honda's previous #1 reliability rating with the Accord (I didn't know it would be that easy). How sad...

Toyota Sienna is MUCH MORE reliable than Honda Odyssey, and has always been like that since 1999, since Toyota builds MORE reliable cars than Honda in North America.

Something is very wrong with the quality control going on at Honda America auto plants.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    It's not Honda's faulty quality control in North America. The problem is with the design of the "big" North American vehicles vs. the smaller 4-cyl versions in Asia/Europe.

Honda never spent proper time studying the effects of undersized brake rotors and undersized transmission components. Best example is Honda "slapping" Accord brakes & transmission in a 4500lb. Odyssey in the 1999-2001 model years. Epic failure!

As far as I can tell, the North American 4-cylinder Honda products are still among the most reliable vehicles.

The Honda V6 products have really poor reliability. Ratings haven't shown this since Honda used to "Goodwill" free transmissions and brake jobs. They stopped that practice with mass production and lower profit margins to stay competitive.

Take a look at the Japanese Honda lineup (or European) , I doubt you will a find a V6 engine in their lineup.
  • alleycat10alleycat10 Member Posts: 18
    It sounds to me like you got a lemon vehicle. Our 2010 Honda EX-L has been trouble-free, having only one non-routine service to reprogram the transmission controls done at the recommendation of Honda. It is a really nice family vehicle for us, although a bit pricey compared to Toyota Sienna. I will likely go with the Toyota when replacement comes due in a few years as our 2012 Camry SE is really a powerful, quiet and competitively priced ride.
  • whoosierdaddywhoosierdaddy Member Posts: 76
    We bought a new Ody EX in '05, and now after 90+K miles have had zero problems. Has been a GREAT vehicle for us-- vacation memories, moving the kids on and out of college, hauling furniture, rugs, stuff and people.
  • 01intrigue01intrigue Member Posts: 92
    Our 2006 Ody EX-L was bought new in Sept 2006, and has 125K miles across most of US east of the Mississippi and mostly around town, and has not had any maintenance issues. It is coming back to Florida from NC tomorrow. My wife is a patient (read "light on the accelerator pedal") driver and maybe that has had something to do with the lack of transmission problems. I would think that the transmission changed with the model makeover in 2005, since most of tranny issues on here seem to be in 2004-earlier Ody's. Compared to out earlier 2000 Olds Silo, the Ody's been a dream to own and drive.
  • happyvanhappyvan Member Posts: 2
    I do feel the pain of the OP. However, it is important to note that most of the people come to an on-line forum when they have major problems with their cars while most the satisfied owners are out there busy driving. I for one is a happy owner of a 2012 EX-L.
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    edited January 2012
    Undersized brake rotors and undersized transmissions do count in quality control, design, and reliability. Engineers that work for Honda of America while designing the Accord and Odyssey were NOT intelligent enough to realize that larger vehicles will need larger components, and the problems exist quickly and spooked all the once, loyal Honda customers. The Honda Japanese engineers in Japan would caught this problem faster than what the Honda American engineers could do in United States. It may be a problem with our American culture, but we don't really know for sure.

The Honda Accord right now, since 2008, has the most disappointing reliability record I've seen in years. It's a major drop from the successful and proven 2003-2007 generation, and the three 1982-1993 generations. This is not what Honda Accord is and what it defines, and Honda America screwed everything up. This also applies to the Honda Odyssey since 1999.

In 1976, Honda Accord was created and meant simplicity, sportiness, value, trust, durability, and highest reliability. Honda Accord had ALWAYS been rated more reliable than Toyota Camry when they were mostly manufactured in Japan before, according to the auto reliability history data provided by Consumer Reports. Honda built more reliable cars than Toyota in Japan during the 1980s.

But in 1994, when the new, redesigned 1994 Accord was released, while Honda continues to increase production in United States than in Japan, Honda Accord became LESS-reliable than Toyota Camry all of a sudden, and dissatisfaction among the loyal Honda buyers began to grow due to some quality and workmanship issues involved from the North American plants. This was a big surprise and major concern back then. More people began to look at Toyota Camry instead. Now on the 18th straight consecutive year since 1994, Toyota Camry has been rated MORE-reliable than Honda Accord. Toyota Camry continues to grow in fame and trust, and moves on to become America's #1 best-selling car, while Honda Accord has declined and faded. Sales began to fall off since it peaked the highest in 1991. Honda has chose NOT to improve quality-control in their North American plants, or, most importantly, improve the reliability rating score of the Accord to become higher than the Camry. Honda continues to give up some Accord sales number to Toyota for the Camry.

Had the Honda Accord always been manufactured in Japan and never in United States, Honda Accord would always be rated more reliable than Toyota Camry, and Toyota Camry would NOT be America's #1 best-selling car in the first place.

Unless the previous poster was talking about Honda's 4-cylinder engine itself, then I do agree that it's very reliable and long-lasting, in fact, Honda's 4-cylinder engine is the longest-lasting you can buy in the world. All Honda's 4-cylinder engines were designed in Japan, and reliability report shows that Honda engines do last longer than Toyota engines, by up to 25% when the cars reach 20-30 years old (if still on the road). Honda's 4-cylinder engines are built a little stronger than Toyota's 4-cylinder engines, and they can tolerate more abuse and neglect. Toyota is more concerned with refinement, so their engines had to be a little lighter, quieter, and a little cheaper in design with thinner layers of metal. Toyota's 4-cylinder engines have a slight, higher-risk in having more engine blow-outs or breakdowns than Honda. Currently, there are more 80s Toyota cars retired into junkyards early than 80s Honda cars.

On the other hand, Honda's current V6 engines are completely different in design, and they have been designed, engineered, and manufactured in United States. The Japanese were not involved in this V6 engine design. Honda's V6 engine is an American-quality design, and some parts of the design are flawed. Therefore, reliability has NOT been great so far, although fairly-reliable for the most part, and most current Honda V6 products scored between average and below-average reliability. I wouldn't call it poor reliability, fortunately. Had the Japanese designed Honda's V6 engine in the first place, like they did before during the 1980s to early-1990s, reliability score would be much higher, and there would be far fewer complaints to begin in the first place. Honda's reputation would not be so hurt. To our big surprise, Toyota's V6 engine products, even if they are designed in United States, have been more reliable than Honda since the last 10 years.

I continue to maintain and stand behind my facts that Honda built LESS-reliable cars than Toyota in North America, while Honda built MORE-reliable cars than Toyota in Japan. (from post #2)
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    I have a 2002 Odyssey which I bought new in Canada. The 1999-2004 was called LaGreat in Japan with V6 engines. The 2005-2012 built in Alabama are Japanese Dylson (I think this is the name[ see web site below]). The Odyssey minivans without sliding doors have and are still built in Japan with both 4 and 6 cyl engines. They are not the same style as the USA Odyssey (which really is not an Odyssey).
    http://www.batfa.com/
  • mthomasdbmthomasdb Member Posts: 15
    I bought a new 2007 Odyssey and have had no problems EXCEPT those Honda created by design. I am referring to the recalls on the master brake cylinder and the automatic transmission reprogram. I was contacted in regard to a class action lawsuit in which Honda agreed to pay for the ac condenser shield and $20.00 of the $95.00 installation cost. I also received an extended warranty by mail on the power steering unit.

To me, this is unacceptable. If I have to pay a premium to buy a Japanese designed vehicle, than I should receive a vehicle of premium quality. The company should"man up" and fix their irresponsible design at no cost to the consumer. I still own this vehicle but my latest purchase of a minivan went to Toyota this time. Consumer reports has tanked the ratings of several Honda vehicles (i.e Civic, reliability on Odyssey) and it is easy to see why!
    Our 2006 has worked just fine, with 125K miles since Sept 2006. No complaints here.
    Besides, this thread is about the 2010 Ody.