Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Dodge Dart

2»

Comments

• bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Might go looking myself. Have to admit they got the looks right, but I'd really REALLY rather have a hatch...why couldn't they just bring the Alfa over?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Got my first look (outside of an auto show) of the 2013 Dart today. My local dealership had two red Darts, one outside (Rallye) and one inside (SXT with options). Since it was over 90, I checked out the one inside. Red SXT, grey cloth interior, Rallye package plus a few other packages including the 1.4L turbo. MSRP was just under $23k. Both cars had sticks. My observations:

* Great looking car, inside and out. Red is a great color for this car.
    * Interior trim is nicely done, with trim that makes it look upscale, e.g. metal-like trim around the outboard air vents that looks like expensive metal (probably isn't), gloss black trim on the center stack, and good-looking HVAC controls. Had traditional gauges vs. the digital ones. Light grey fabric was grippy, felt durable. Not a lot of padding, but it was in all the important places including dash top and arm rests.
    * Shifter knob is a big grey/silver plastic ball... didn't fit the quality of the rest of the interior. Would have been better off with leather. The wheel was leather-covered (option). Shifter and clutch action seemed smooth enough... clutch pedal has rather long travel.
    * Driving position was comfortable for me, even with the manual seat. However, the height adjuster is the type that tips the seat forward as it raises, thus I needed to move the front seat back to be comfortable. When I adjusted it and the wheel for comfort, then sat in the back, usable leg room was not very good--less than in cars like the Elantra and Impreza, for example. There was enough knee room, but my feet hit the front seat back before my legs were fully supported, so I had the "knees in the air" feeling. I tried adjusting the passenger seat more forward, and that gave me a little more room in back, but my toes were stopped by something hard under the seat--probably the storage box that is built into the seat cushion. There might be more usable room in back, driver's side, with the optional power seat.
    * Headroom in back wasn't good either. I'm only 5' 9-1/2" and my (rather short) hair brushed the headliner unless I slouched. Because the rear windows slant up towards the rear, there is a bit of a claustrophobic feeling in back--I wouldn't tend to get the black interior in this car!

Based on this initial impression, I probably won't keep the Dart on my shopping list. Because I prefer hatches, it would have to be pretty great and a great value to get my interest. It's sharp-looking, and maybe it drives well, but at about $20k for a basic car (2.0L, 6MT, base audio, cruise), and given it doesn't seem to "sit" as big in back as the car is, I'll likely stick with options like the Mazda3i hatch, Golf VII, Elantra GT, and maybe the Focus SE hatch and Impreza Premium hatch. All are less than $20k (Impreza a little more because I'd have to go with the CVT). None is as good looking as the Dart though. :)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    I hate those ratchet and dump seat height adjusters. I like to tilt the seat up in the front, but don't want to have to sit on the floor to get it like that. I eliminated a couple of cars in the past (include the mazda 3, which was otherwise perfect for me in many ways) for this reason.

I really try to stay with power seats (with front/rear adjustments) fnow.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I don't mind a manual height adjuster if it's designed right. Many are not. And some small cars either don't offer a power seat or it's part of an expensive options package. The Mazda3's adjuster isn't one of the best, but acceptable to me.

I love the dual manual height adjusters that used to be common, esp. on Korean cars. The Cruze is the only small car I know of today that has this feature, and on BOTH front seats! At least, it used to have that feature... I read where maybe the newer Cruzes use a single adjuster now.

Oh well, the Dart was a stretch for me anyway, as I really want a hatch next time. A gorgeous car, though. Dodge will probably sell a lot of them.
    I went by the local Dodge dealer (one of the two anyway, the less slimy one) and they had a single Rallye trim there, stick of course. I'd have to wait for the dual-clutch, unless I hold out for an R/T (have to see how the FE ends up with that). I found the front seat to be excellent and the wheel/pedal/shifter relationship to be right on. After adjusting the seat for myself, I could easily sit in the back...not COMFORTABLY, mind you, but easily. Not quite as good as an Impreza, but better than a Focus or Mazda3.

I swear sitting in that thing, it was begging me to drive it, had that "drive me" feeling that the Mazda3 has. I just really wish they'd left the hatch on it, but the car's appealing enough where I might ignore that deficiency.

Afterwards I went down the street and test drove the first Hyundai Elantra GT that showed up in the county (that we know of anyway). It was white so no way I'd ever buy it. I wonder if that colored the test drive for me, it drove good and felt good...and that was it. No grin, no happy tug of the heart strings. Steering an suspension are improved over the Elantra Touring, but nowhere near a Mazda3, and you can feel how short the engine is on torque when going uphill.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    The Neon's actually had a strong sales history. Having had three and still have a 1996 with 197,300 miles on it and got as high as 36 mpg and most always in the 30 mpg range. The reason it gets so mush mpg is the weight, 2,400 lbs ment hp to weight ratio.

I think that before Fiat the 2 owners before drained every drop of money without improving the product. The interior of the cars and trucks were made as cheap as possible. However Fiat has made some real changes for the good. The Dart is the first real new made under Fiat, not including the Fiat 500.

Especially good is the dart in made in the USA. The introduction of the Dart is not real good as all the first run Darts given to the dealers are pretty much the same, 6 speed manual, turbo engine, red in color and some high end things. Most sticker prices $ 22,500 to 24,695. which is not close to the Ford Fiesta. When they start with auto trans, and more moderate under
    $ 20,000. prices then it should take off. We are anxious to test drive one.
    Just to add one small detail that is sorta over looked, all but the 2.4 engines run on 92 octain fuel. So the actual mpg needs to be reduced by the extra cost compared to a Ford Fiesta which used 87 octain fuel.
    The turbo used on the Jeep Liberty CRD I owned that Chrysler bought mine and others back, because they failed at regular intervals. The cost if you were out of warranty...over $ 7,000 usd. I know diesel and gas turbos are using different fuels but the principal is the same. For me no thanks on a turbo anything.
    Uh... why would you compare the Dart to a car like the Ford Fiesta? Two totally different classes of cars.
    One thing that hit me, there someone in this forum born in the sixties and he had cars with no aircon in his car. I was born in 1945. I remember watching my dad install turn signals in a 1950 or 1952 Cheyy. No air, turn signals, power brakes, steering took real effort.

My new first car was a 1964 Chevy 2 with the 283 V8 and air, auto, P s, & brakes. Got about 16 mpg and paid $ 2,872. out the door. But now when we talk the price to get a nice family car with real room for parents and 3 kids, it takes near $24,000. Trucks are high too. The vehicles 10 years from now may well be starting about $ 30,000. How on earth can a couple starting out afford a new vehicle, unless both are working and the budget will be tite.

I an not keen on buying a used car but I think that is where most lower middle class people are headed likeit or not.

The Dodge Dart looks nice, and if it's as good as the Neon it will sell good.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I haven't had a chance to drive one yet. There have been a fair amount of complaints about the interior set-up on the Fiat 500 because it remains unchanged from the European ergonomics---and american drivers don't like some aspects of interior design that Europeans are quite used to.

I'm wondering if the same barrage of complaints about interior design will come to haunt the Dart as they are currently haunting the 500? (lack of cupholders, weird button and knob placements, awkward ergonomics, etc).
    I drove the Fiesta and did not like the tight feel of the drivers area in it or the Focus. The Focus had my respect because it was US made. The dart as it is now is 52% US goods. What I have seen on the web seems to me to be a higherpriced that I had hoped for. When you think every thousand dollars cost about $ 17. in your payment, that makes me wonder if the real value for me, is there.

The Fiat is really hig priced I think. A friend og mine won a Gucci one and he likes it. But he is 86 and does not drive much and he just bought a Ford Ranger last March.

But here is why I drive a Chrysler Pacifica Touring AWD. I think in an accident the bigger vehicle has a advantage. 4,800 lb against 3,200 lbs may well have a better chance. We have 128,000 miles on the PAC we bought in 8 of 07 it cane with the lifetime powertrain warranty, and we added to it the lifetime maxCare warranty. We put on 2,500 a month and the PAC is very comfortable, and easy to drive and ride shotgun. Little cars are fine for local driving but for us long trips are kinda hard on us older ones.
    You know, everyone seems to think that their 4800 lb tank will give them a better chance in an accident. Well, that depends on what you hit...and if you can actually manage to stop that huge hunk of steel in the first place. And that it's well designed enough to survive the sudden unintended stop when you can't stop.

Give me a car with enough power and handling to avoid the accident in the first place, and I'm good.
  • hoosiergrandadhoosiergrandad Member Posts: 96
    "You know, everyone seems to think that their 4800 lb tank will give them a better chance in an accident."

Would that include insurance actuaries ..........?
    Generally not from what I know. Which should really tell you something, shouldn't it?
    On Motor week the dart went through all their test's. The braking distance was longer than the Pacifica. The Insurance Companies do rate some sporty cars higher. Our Neon and our PAC are both very low cost. I have no idea what a Dodge Dart would be. Maybe the first buyer on this forum might be willing to share that with us. In all insurance cost your driving record and credit score goes into the cost, so that too is something that depending on the driver and even what company you choose effect the real cost of insurance. You could go to NITSF and see how they rate the Dart.

Don't misunderstand me I do like cars the size of the DD but I have a handicap that would make the Dart very diffiicult. So for me and all the things that go with me the PAC is the best. The mpg on the PAC is better than the Chevy Aveo or some of the other small cars. The thing that really adds up for us is the Lifetime PowerTrain Warranty. However it is not your lifetime, it's the value of the PAC lifetime that determines the lifetime part. Chrysler goes by the NADA retail value of the PAC and if the repair is higher than the value of the car they just pay you out based on the NADA. Now the NADA value is $ 12,775. thats after 5 years and 128, miles at this point.200
  • origsquigorigsquig Member Posts: 2
    I have been looking at new cars for 2 months now, and test drove many, many models. My 1st drive in the dart and I knew it was a great car. Now waiting for my limited to arrive in the next month or so. I see a lot of people nit picking here about stupid little things, they have many cup holders, they stop just fine in normal driving conditions, I don't race my cars. The layout is awesome, the tech is killler, it is a very fun to drive and easy to handle car. The one I ordered is loaded so I espect it will be even better then the ralley I tested. Good job Dodge. It compairs very well against the caddy ats.
  • origsquigorigsquig Member Posts: 2
    Global RallyCross Results: Round 4 Sylvania SilverStar zXe

Finish

Driver

Car

Team/Sponsor

Brand

Travis Pastrana

Dodge/Red Bull Rallycross/Pastrana 199 Racing

Dodge Dart

Samuel Hubinette

Eneos Oil

Saab 9-3

Brian Deegan

Rockstar Energy Metal Mulisha Ford/OMSE

Ford Fiesta

Tanner Foust

Rockstar Energy Etnies Ford/OMSE

Ford Fiesta

Ken Block

Monster World Rally Team

Ford Fiesta

Andy Scott

Scott-Eklund Racing

Saab 9-3

Liam Doran

Monster Energy Citroen Racing

Citroen C4

David Binks

eBay Motors Ford Fiesta

Ford Fiesta

Stephan Verdier

Motorcity Disney XD/RMR

Hyundai Veloster

Dave Mirra

Subaru Puma Rallycross/VSC

Subaru WRX STi

Bucky Lasek

Subaru WRX Sti

Patrick Moro

PMR Motor Sports

Subaru WRX Sti

Sverre Isachsen

Subaru WRX Sti

Richard Burton

Team 41

Subaru WRX Sti
    He beat Tanner Faust? Nice!

I wonder if the SXT version will be a rally-style trim a-la WRX?
    We saw a dart today, and it is far better than I imagined. Size wise it is bigger than the Ford Focus. The seats are very comfortable, dash is nicely layed out and fit and finish inside and out is very good. The sales person wanted us to take it for a drive, but it was 105 f outside so maybe another time when it is cooler. We really like the Dart, and if we were younger and circumstances were different we would buy one.
  • driver33driver33 Member Posts: 6
    The local dealer had 2 they just received. One SXT and one rallye. Both with the MultiAir Turbo and 6 speed manuals. Evidently most of the initial run of automatics are already spoken for.
    Car is very nice looking. The pictures do it justice. The rallye looked like the one in the ads.
    Anyway, I drove the SXT. Drives well, car is comfortable, seems well put together, and the materials in the interior seem very high quality, for the most part.
    Car handles well in around town situation and was extremely quiet in operation.
    I still think I'd give it a bit of time to see if there are any blatant issues but it seemed very sound in my brief testdrive.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited July 2012
    have you seen the 2013 Nissan Altima? A nice looking car that supposedly has excellent road manners and all the bells and whistles--do you think people will cross shop with the Dart? If so, how will the Dart measure up do you think?
    I am a solid Chrysler company man. By thst I mean only Chrysler made vehicles. So I have a bias. However, I am wondering why the Dart took so long coming out, it was delayed twice, and not only manual 6 speed, all made in Italy. (I mean the transmission) All have the same engine, basicly all at first were that red that some of us don't care for. There is a reason for they way they come out in the order they do. No automatics yet, but the dealer I have my pacifica worked on says it will be a while. Of the Dart's out there they are there to sell, and not many people like the 6 manual.

I personally doubt we will buy one. However there seems to be a cautious way on how these Dart's are coming out. I read they are making 300 a day. I think it was Auto News that said the third shift started last Friday. ( at least I think so) I think there are a lot who want the 2.4 auto.

Me personally do not like turbo's and I think there is a lot power from a small engine running at high RPM's. Time will tell what's going on at the plant making these nice looking Dart's.
  • driver33driver33 Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2012
    I have owned several Chrysler Corp, vehicles over the years. I have been overheard saying no more Chrysler products after having some issues with some. The Dart seemed to be a pretty compelling package but I am not going to be an early adopter on this one.
    I am in the market and will be buying something within a month. I am leaning towards a Mazda3 . I presently have a Mazda6 that has been a great car.
    I was actually planning on cross-shopping them, but I just drove that Altima this weekend, and while those seats are SUPER-comfy, the car just felt too big to me. That might just be me being used to compacts, but that's how I am. Too big, too much hood out in front. And no manual-shift mode for the CVT unless you get the V6, don't like that at all (among other fun applications, I use manual-shift mode in winter driving for engine-braking purposes..not having that is really REALLY bad) .
    I'm currently trying to decide between a Dart and a 3 hatch. The Mazda drives incredibly well, and I love the tranny. Don't know how the Dart will stack up, waiting for a DCT to arrive, but at least they got the manual mode direction right. But Mazda's missing the advanced interior features, especially the electronic dashboard and touchscreen climate control stuff that Dodge has. Not to mention the rear camera (Mazda doesn't even have a radar based backup assist).

I understand the 3 will get a USB port for 2013, as well as auto climate control on the iGT, that'll help balance things some. But the 100k warranty appeals to me too, given that I do 2000 miles a month.
    Don't hold your breath on a hatch back. I think things are slow withthe Dart, the Rt is not happening for a good while according to allpar.com I read in autonews.com that the 6speed auto trans is being made by Hyundai as they have a transmission small enought to fit in the Dart. I am wondering if advertising whnt too far ahead of production, maybe a rush to produce them. However allpar.com reports they have sold 700 Darts with the stick and mostly in red. Maybe red is someones favorite color?

Maybe full production might not be for sometime? Time will tell
    I don't like that Hyundai transmission, didn't like it in the Elantra either. But that isn't being matched to the 1.4L, that's getting a 6 speed DCT instead. Except it doesn't seem to be around yet.

And it does seem like all of the first run of these were red...a really nice metallic red, but red. All 1.4L MultiAir turbos. Apparently no 2.0L ones with the Hyundai automatic, and I have zero interest in that one anyway.

I am wondering how the steering and suspension feels. It's supposed to be a cut above most compacts, up in Focus territory, which is pretty friggin close to Mazda3 territory. It would be good if we get another compact like that, show GM and Toyota what a REAL compact car is like.
  • djeffersondjefferson Member Posts: 1
    I have driven a few of the 1.4 turbo Dart's with both SXT/Limited trim levels and found the overall car to be good for the price. The 1.4 has more torque than the Cruze's 1.4T but is not as smooth overall but the drivability is very good. The features for the price are also good. The SXT I drove was less than 21K...the Limited was 24k. None so far produced with the LED tailamps but have found them to be a $250.00 option. When you compare the Dart to the Focus or Mazda 3 it still shines a Focus Titanium w/18in wheels is 24k add a few options and 28k appears on the sticker and the 3 is stark and very basic in comparison but its chassis is excellent. Hopefully we can get a few comparisons to see how it ranks againt the competition. My first impression is that it will be among the best.
  • gfrancis1gfrancis1 Member Posts: 1
    The transmission to get for this car is the 6 speed manual, it's really sweet. It's better in pretty much every way compared to either of the autos: better fuel economy, better performance, more fun, and cheaper to buy, so the autos don't make much sense here. It's got a nice tall overdrive 6th gear (.62 ratio) for highway MPGs and a nicely chosen set of ratios in the lower gears. It's nicer than the 5 speed in the Fiat 500 for sure. My local dealer only had the MT available to test drive, and I'm glad I did now after trying both this and the auto.

Try it out, you'll like it. Save yourself a grand, some gas money through the life of the car, and have more fun driving it to boot!
  • dawadawa Member Posts: 1
    Drove a dart today not bad, underpowered w/ automatic, lots of road noise in cabin,hard on bumps,noticed steering wheel start to shimmy on acceleration above 75 mph,24k loaded with options,yesterday i drove optima,ultima,new malibu w/eco 4 cyl,all were unacceptable with cabin road noise,harsh over bumps,noisey 4 cyl motors,narrow seat backs,but the dart seemed the best of the lot,but allthese cars are way overpriced.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    they sure don't make em like they used to.lol
    For anyone who has bought a Dart, what kind of mpg do you get?
  • endur0endur0 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a dart rallye with the 6 speed and 1.4l in red lol. Very fun and sport. Actually has a pretty stiff suspension and handles corner very well. Tranny is very smooth and gearing is nice. It's a fun little compact and great on gas if you drive it right. Out of the dealership I got 20-22mpg city. I assumed they did not put in premium because with premium (91) I was getting 24+ city only. This car handles cruising speeds well. You lose all your mpg in shifting 1-3. Once you get 45 put it in 6th and just cruise at 35-40mpg and downshift when necessary.

All in all, I test drove the elantra, forte koup, civic, and a mustang and this was by far the most fun and complete all around to drive. Sticker price was 23,390. I walked out of the dealership paying sub that total, think I knocked them down to <$21k with USAA/Chrysler/Military discounts. This model comes with almost all of the best options.
  • reddodgedartreddodgedart Member Posts: 1
    I bought a red Dart Rallye last week with the 6 speed manual and it drives and sounds great. I actually look forward to driving this car which is not something I can say about the 2011 Elantra I had. If you are looking at cars in this category, take a test drive. This car feels more like a mid size European car with great handling and the suspension soaks up the bumps. Although the engine is small, it really pulls and the gears are spaced perfectly in the 6 speed. A lot of car for 22k. In one week, I had 10 people ask me what kind of car it was and told me it looks great. Absolutely the best car I had in years.
  • dart_ownerdart_owner Member Posts: 1
    Very pleased with performance and tech package - fun to drive!

***Only down side so far is that with no rear windshield wiper a rear view vision problem occurs when driving on snowy winter roads with the salt spray drying on rear window. Fortunately this is something that does not happen too often (I hope).
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    edited December 2012
    I have yet to see one of these cars on the road down here in car crazy South Florida...not a one! Don't understand it but from the pics of the dash that I have seen, this is not even a car I'd consider buying no matter the price...just looks so inferior to what the competition offers. But maybe one day I'll go for a test drive just to see for myself. But hell, haven't seen a one yet on the roads!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to speak to a new owner of a Dodge Dart. If you purchased a Dodge Dart in the last 6 months, and you would like to share your story, please send daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than 9 a.m. PT/noon ET on Tuesday, April 2, 2013.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews