Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Nissan Altima

13»

Comments

• grampy2grampy2 Member Posts: 1
    A straight, flat, and lightly-used stretch of U.S. 98 through Tyndall AFB in the Florida Panhandle gives me a chance to frequently put my '13 2.5 S through its mpg paces. At 60 mph, with ethanol-polluted gas, no AC, and windows closed, I routinely get 44 mpg. AC drops us to 42, but ethanol-free gas kicks us up about 3 mpg. 50 mph, no AC, and ethanol-free (a one-time, 15-minute deal) got me to 50.6 (take that, hybrid owners).
    Last week, a 220 mile round-tripper including 50 miles of I-10, 150 miles of two-laned blacktop, and a couple of two-stoplight towns got us 39.6 mpg. This was through, by Florida standards, hilly country. A couple of limited-access-highway-only trips (70-75 mph) have come in at about 39 mpg.
    Wet roads drop our mileage by 10% or so (reduced traction?), and strong headwinds by 5-10%.
    In city driving (Tallahassee), we get 28-32 fully warmed up and 26 cold starting. I haven't yet driven in true stop-and-go stuff, and hope not to.
    My experiences suggest that those of you reporting the lousy mpg should first look at your driving habits and then assertively interact with your dealer and Nissan rep. Something's amiss.
    So far, our Altima is my favorite of the 20 or so vehicles I've driven extensively. We think it's a superior vehicle to my wife's '07 M 35. It's quieter, handles nearly as well, and is as comfortable. Yeah, the power train makes some atypical, but very faint, noises, and I can sense some unusual, but very brief, vibrations. But come on, ya'll, this ain't your father's (or mother's) Oldsmobile.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I just bought a new 2013 Altima SV with the convenience package (build date April 2013). So far so good. My only hesitation was the amount of velour type cloth in the vehicle. But so far, it hasn't been an issue and I wonder if Nissan put any type of stain resistance into the cloth?? Took it on a short 15 mile stretch of the interstate where it got 38.1 mpg at 73mph. For a not even broken in vehicle, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    edited May 2013
    Very informative fuel economy account. I liked the bases you covered.
    Does anybody know if a full size spare tire will fit into the spare tire wheel well? I am not a fan of compact donuts and typical buy a cheap steel rim and OE tire for use as a valid spare tire.
    If you are happy with the OE tires, and plan to invest in one, and assuming you have 4 alloys, why not invest in the extra alloy? This would enable you to do tire rotation sequence involving the spare, which pays back eventually, and has two other benefits too. You don't end up with a new, but old rubber spare that may not match replacement tires in future. Also, by default of being regularly integrated during tire rotations, it is kept aired up. Not an issue if you check your spare often, but few owners/garages do.

Since OEM alloys can be quite expensive, consider first trying to find one at a wrecker. The key here though, is to ensure that whatever caused the wreck, did not injure or bend the wheel in any way. Most 20 to 30 mph front write-off collisions usually spare most rear parts like a rim and tire.
    Thanks, but I don't plan on using it in my tire rotation. I just don't like using those temporary donut tires in the event of a tire failure, etc. I just wanted to know if anybody knew if the full size tire would fit into the spare tire well. Otherwise, I have to pull the tire off and check it myself. Something I would rather not do.
    Well, in that case either call your dealer, they should know, or just measure the outside circumference of one of your full sized ones. And measure the overall depth. In looking at the wheel well, if it has the height and diameter, it's pretty much a sure thing that the centre convex area where the donut is bolted down will also accept the full size.
    Sadly, the dealer didn't know. I did what you did and it does look like it will fit in the well. But just to be on the safe side, I will pull a tire off and double check before purchasing a spare wheel/tire. Thanks.
    edited May 2013
    Hey, you're quite welcome..so how did you make out? Is it a fit?
  • rickt9868rickt9868 Member Posts: 2
    My 2013 3.5 SL makes a banging noise when I stop. It sounds like it's coming from the back of the car. The technician says it's devices floating in the gas tank to make to fuel gauge more accurate. It does sound like he might be right because the rollback bang is kind of delayed like it is floating as opposed to something that is rolling around in the trunk. Does anyone else experience this?
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    edited June 2013
    I had a 2011 Maxima S that I bought new in January 2011. I loved driving that car; but, I didn't love owning that car. The back seat was cramped, the trunk is on the smallish side, the driver's leg room is a little tight and paying for premium unleaded got really old. I traded it 2 weeks ago on a new Altima 2.5 SV. Yes, I miss the V6 at times, but I really enjoy the car, otherwise. The first thing my 14 year old said when he sat in the back seat the first time was "Wow, this is a nice back seat." Loading baseball equipment into the trunk is easier with more room. I still have Intelligent Key, rear air vents and automatic climate control; but, now I have rear view camera, remote start and satellite radio--all things I now use every day. The extra 10 mpg on regular unleaded gas is nice, as well.

Nissan did a nice job of upping the luxury feel and apparent build quality of the new Altima. The dash material and construction is solid like the Maxima's. The interior is quiet with no squeaks or rattles. It feels like it was put together very well.

I know it's still early, but I am happy with my purchase and I look forward to driving it for years to come.
    Tomorrow will mark 4 weeks with the Altima and I'm getting about 26 MPG in mixed city driving. The Maxima I traded would get 21-22 in the same driving, so I'm up about 20% in mpg and I'm using regular instead of premium unleaded. I'm expecing that number to go up some as the car breaks in.
  • vaddalavaddala Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I am interested in this vehicle, I been shopping around. Can someone tell what is the best price on 2013 S model as the 2014 is coming in few months, any discounts going on ? I can travel to any central or eastern states.
  • vaddalavaddala Member Posts: 3
    Guys, Please share your recent price.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Please visit:
    Nissan Altima Prices Paid instead. That's where members are talking about pricing.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ricovanianricovanian Member Posts: 14
    with all of the negative comments I have been reading here and on the altima forums on the 'net, I have been thoroughly dissuaded from purchasing a 21013 altima. The long range prognosis for the CVT does not seem to be very promising. Is there anything I am overlooking in the Altima's favor? Seems like the safer bet to buy is a sonata...
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    As is the case in many forums, people only talk about their cars when they have an issue. For everyone complaining here, there are 100s of people who have nothing to complain about.

I don't own an Altima, I drive a Sonata (2009) currently, but drive the car and make the decision yourself, not because I told you to buy one, or someone else told you not to buy one. :)
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    I agree with the graduate post. I purchased a 2013 Altima SV 2.5 9/1/12. So far other than the trans recall to update software that addressed the shifting issue I have had no complaints. I experienced the shift issue. The recall/update fixed it. I have 12,000 miles. MPG's have avg between 28-32 in normal mixed driving. I use these forums as a guide to looking for and solving problems with my vehicles with as little difficulty as I can. These forums have been excellent for that.
  • baluinbaluin Member Posts: 1
    Hey even i faced the issue. The dealership is giving some lame excuse, stating it is expected. I have faced a major issue with transmission, 3 days into the purchase of my car (just 3 days, i was totally unhappy). They replaced my transmission, yet when i ask them to replace my car. They say, that we have to go to the dealership with the same issue for 3 times to fix it.
    I bought the same car (2013 2.5 SV) back in May. I too was amazed at how nice the car is and how smooth it drives. The 38-39 mpg is an added bonus (real world). No regrets here at all!!!
    I took mine on my first real road trip last week and I'm very happy overall. Good luck to you.
  • emc17emc17 Member Posts: 26
    I have owned my 2.5 sl since June 2013 with no problems. The only thing that I feel is when the car is coasting around 35 to 45mph and I slowly accelerate, there's a vibration felt in the steering wheel and in the center console as if something is not tight in the engine. Also, at idle it feels a little rough.
    I want to know if anyone has experienced this same issue and what have they done to fix it. Otherwise the car is great.
    Thanks!! :)
  • spencer98spencer98 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 3.5 2013 Altima, fully loaded. The my nav was doing exactly the same thing, then, on a long road trip the entire system radio and all, just blanked out, then came back on and locked the nav. It kept going on and off every ten minutes or so. I had already taken to the dealer, they confirmed issue and ordered an entire new unit.
    This took almost two months because the manufacturer, BOSCH, was backlogged on replacement units. It has since been replaced and so far so good.
    Of course, no matter what blog you read on any vehicle, there will be good and bad reviews and every once in a while, someone gets a bad production vehicle.
    I for one have had a few issues with my 2013 3.5 Altima but overall, nothing specific to say it is not a good vehicle. My overall mpg is 25.4 and that is with a good mix of highway and city driving. The ride is smooth although it does take getting used to a CVT. If you like the feel of a car shifting, then you won't like the CVT. If you like power, then the 3.5 is the route to go.

I did drive a 2.5 on a very long east coast trip and got 37 mpg on all highway driving! I felt though that the 2.5 is obviously not peppy enough and is a bit noisy on quick starts. The 3.5 is responsive and smoother. While Nissan has confirmed some issues with the CVT jerking slightly at a low speed, take it to the dealer under warranty and they will fix it.

The seats are as advertised, there is nothing more comfortable for the driver and front passenger to enjoy on long trips! I have back issues and not one complaint on a five hour drive! The cabin is quiet and stylish. The only complaint is that the cup holders are too big for smaller coffee mugs and it causes a rattle at times. I had the radio and nav system replaced due to a manufacturer defect but cannot complain about the Bose sound quality. The only thing I wish the Altima had as a package option is a seat memory for multiple drivers and a power passenger seat.

Thumbs up for me!
    You obviously don't know too much about how the mileage is calculated. There are many factors taken into place on how the remaining miles changes on the computer. Obviously the first is speed, second is how much and how far you are using the accelerator, third is idle time and there are many more to factor. MPG stickers are based on a set speed at ALL times. I'm sure you are not driving the same speed all the time. I have had no issues with my mileage and I have driven both the 2.5 and own a 3.5! People who post mileage issues on any car need to recognize their driving habits. Don't blame the car!
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130

I have 21000 miles on a 2013 2.5. I now have the "vibration" during normal to slow acceleration. The vibrations are causing my instrument cluster area to have a vibrating plastic part. Dealer said they recognized the problem, but Nissan told them it was "normal." No one would buy the car if they experienced the "vibration." Will be back at dealership soon to revisit the issue.