Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Nissan Altima

Comments

• sctmorgansctmorgan Member Posts: 1
    I have the 2.5 SV and have experienced problems with the trans. My car was out of commission for 12 days (I called constantly to get it back). My car would also jerk when I accelerated and decelerated and there would be a loud bang in the dash board. I had to drive the service tech around town so he could feel the jerking. I had to have a new transmission installed then I had to take it back because there was a lot of outside noise where they had to close some part that they forgot to close.
    As a result of the jerking my right speaker busted and now the air conditioner comes on when I don't have the A/C button pressed one nor the 'auto' button engaged. I'm taking it back again to get the electrical looked at and the right speaker fix.

I like my car but I'm disappointed because I haven't had the opportunity to enjoy it.

Oh, I also completed a survey on the car and I said at this time I wouldn't recommend the 2013 Altima to anyone until these problems are fixed.
  • victomofnissanvictomofnissan Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2012
    After two months of driving my Altima 2013 2.5SL, this car is averaging 18 MPG. Way below what the company claims. I have been dealing with Nissan on this issue. But it is taking to0 much of my time and causing frustration.
  • ayala33ayala33 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    My name is Andy. I was searching online to see if I can find something related to my problem with my 2013 Altima. And I came across your post. My wife and I have experience similar issues, the shuddered feel when coasting at low speeds. I took it to the dealership and obviously it was hard to duplicate the issue. so it was diagnose with no problems..etc...A few hours later after picking the vehicle back from the dealership, the same shuddered affect happen. After reading your post, I have something to prove to the dealership that other owners have experience similar problems. email me at aayala33@gmail.com with comments on how you were able to fix the problem and what suggestions you may have for me.

Thanks.
  • jim544jim544 Member Posts: 1
    Andy read this recall notice:http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm?rcl_id=12V494000&searcht- ype=quicksearch&summary=true

How many miles do you have on your Altima.

Thanks
  • mwaugh1mwaugh1 Member Posts: 7
    I am in the market to purchase an 13 Altima 2.5 SV . Noticed your post and then searched online. I found the article below. It says that some bolts were not torqued properly leadign to vehicle steer problems.
    "the driver may experience difficulty in controlling the direction of the vehicle"

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-10-22/news/34660120_1_altima-sedans-altima-- owners-canton-plant
  • seolbroseolbro Member Posts: 19
    For as nice as the redesigned Altima looks, it's too bad Nissan couldn't fix the build quality issues that plagued its predecessor.
    Just finished my 3rd month driving 2013 Nissa Altima 2013 2.5SL and my car has been consistantly delivering 18 MPG or Below. Monitored MPG manually several times. Bringing back to the dealer for the 2nd time. Also recieved a safety recall from Nissan (campaign# PC186). CVT belt slips during driving. There is already another safety recall (campaign# PC182) that has to do with power steering rack bolts and tranverse link bolts issue.

Problem after problem with this 2013 Altima and the year 2013 has not even started yet.
  • ehiaehia Member Posts: 3
    I know the seats are supposed to be very comfortable, but my back is killing me after I drive it. I have have the car for about a month and still can not get the seat right. It is my lower back where it hurts. I have cloth, but don't think that is the issue. Anyone else having this problem? 2012 SV
  • burkhad9burkhad9 Member Posts: 2
    I test drove a couple of 2013 Altima SLs lately. It seems like a very nice car with comfortable seats except that the head restraints are tipped too far forward. I asked the salesman if they can be adjusted, but found out they can't be. I like to stretch my neck when driving long distance once in awhile by pressing it back to the head restraint. Anyone else have this problem? Do you get used to it after awhile?
  • jonny2013jonny2013 Member Posts: 1
    I bought me a 2013 altima 2.5sv 2 weeks ago, got 350 miles and have the same problem, the mph aver only 25 and I do both highway and citi. To me altima make a misleading. We should sue them or write to consumer report on this cheat mileage
  • jktexasjktexas Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone having problems with their "map" on the new Altima. Sometimes it works, sometimes it blanks out and just shows the arrow on a blank screen and today it went totally black and nothing at all happens when pressing the map button.

The other problem I have had is that when receiving a phone call the car won't let you pick up the call and it just keeps ringing. The first time this happened I had to manually delete the car phone from my iPhone. The next time I had to stop and turn off my car.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    We should! I am bringing my car back to the dealer again (3rd time) for this low MPG issue. They keep telling me that I need to drive more before the car starts delivering better mileage. I have already filed a complaint with the Nissan North America. According to the New York's Lemon Law, the dealer needs to make every attempt to resolve an issue first. And, if the dealer is not co-operating, or not able to resolve the issue, then you can move on to the next step. i-e file a law suit. I have started preparing a list of issues, dates, conversation with the dealer etc. I think you should do the same.
  • tagaintagain Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2013 Altima SV (2.5) about 3 months ago and have been generally happy with it.
    Was getting 40+ MGP highway. However, I took it in for the transmission recall servicing when
    I got a recall notice in the mail and now my highway MPG has dropped to 32+ which is rather
    dramatic.

Anyone else experience this issue or have suggestions on what to do about it ? I'll be taking it
    in for the 3 month service next week. Thanks.
  • tagaintagain Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I have the same problem. It doesn't have lumbar support. I toss a small
    cushion at the back of the seat or add an after-market lumbar support unit you
    can get for under $10 and the problem is usually solved.
  • cpugscpugs Member Posts: 1
    I took it in for the 1st service and they said there was a recall on the car. The car was saying 27 mpg and now the highest it has gone is about 22 mpg. Although it took a few week to get there! I am also having a problem with my screen going blank for a second and coming back on. It does it all the time.
  • dgrossman1dgrossman1 Member Posts: 1
    I got a 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV at the end of November. I have filled up the tank 3 times since I got the car and it averaging 20-21 mpg overall. I cant possibly drive the car any softer or slower. The MPG rating is a COMPLETE LIE. I complained to Nissan North America and they are sending a special mechanic to check the car. They told me that the mpg rating is just an estimate and I told them that would be an acceptable answer if the mpg was even close the the advertised claim. If its not broken (which Im almost certain its not), and they dont offer some sort of resolution, I would like to join you and any other 2013 Nissan 4 cylinder owners who are experiencing the same issues in possibly pursuing legal action.

I recommend anyone reading this to record their mileage with pictures of the trip reading before and after filling up with each tank of gas, as well as saving the gas receipts to match the trip reading after filling up.
  • curious46curious46 Member Posts: 3
    Just got the new altima and I will not be keeping it long term. I have the 2013 SL 2.5 and MPG is a dismal 25. Very very disappointed.
  • 2013sl2013sl Member Posts: 3
    We bought the altima SV on 1/2/2013. I agreed that we cannot get more than 20 MPG no matter how we have driven.
  • tripl3threattripl3threat Member Posts: 8
    Don't drive yourself crazy over the MPG. Life's too short to waste a lot of energy on the difference between 22 and 27 MPG, and a couple of hundred bucks. There are lots of terrible MPG cars on the road, and you made a choice to be one of the good guys. So pop a cork, sit back, and watch the giant SUVs rumble down to soccer practice. Not while driving of course... :shades:
  • altmycaraltmycar Member Posts: 2
    Earlier someone posted the same question (how do you reset average fuel MPG?)

An answer came back which I didn't quite understand(have an SL 3.5 with Tech)

"While the fuel economy is displayed just hold the same button in for a few seconds and it will reset. "

Does anyone know how to do this with a 3.5 SL / Tech ?

Thanks!
    Hal
  • fasteddiechufasteddiechu Member Posts: 3
    The steering wheel menu button. Press and hold it down when you're at the fuel consumption or the trip summary display (which includes the fuel consumption summary). :lemon:
  • fasteddiechufasteddiechu Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2013
    Car is about three months old with 3000 miles on now.

I echo other postings. Drove exclusively on the highway at 75-80 mph on a recent trip between Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and Boston, Mass. Average about 31 mph with a fully warm engine.
    At winter temps (25-30F, -5C) and all short city trips with engine almost never fully warmed up: 19-20 mpg.
    These are number somewhat worse than our previous 2.5 VW Golf/Rabbit. While not horrible, it's hardly the mpg champion that I read about.

Other Issues:
    The seats are BELOW PAR in comfort. The Zero Gravity is all BS.

Seat warmer heats the bum on high and just the back on low. So, you can have a hot bum and cold back or a warm back and a cold bum. Weird.

GPS is amazingly slow. Sometimes I can drive for several minutes before it finds its way.

Low beam performance is weak; not enough distance. High beam is OK.

It has one of the most unpleasant engine noise (I've owned over 30 cars) of any car I've driven. Nothing to do with the CVT drone. Just unpleasant sound.

The rear camera got coated with road salt and dirt easily. I've read about a built-in washer. If it's there, it doesn't work.

Steering is numb. Drove through some slush last few weeks and had to drive by sight only because I can't feel what the front tires are doing.

Can't program the navigation while moving. Seems to be a safety feature but it means the passenger can't program it either. DUMB.

Some good points:
    Quiet cruising. Just don't push it to invoke the engine noise.

Roomy front and back.

Good size trunk, although with the all-to-common luggage crusher hinge.

Comfortable ride and pretty good handling. I have not experienced the swaying problem reported by some.

Quick acceleration for a 4 cyl.

Although there was a recall, reliable so far (only three months)

Nice abundant cabin storage with lids to keep things tidy looking.

Stereo has a USB input. Popped in a 16 GB USB drive filled with mp3 songs, and play for days. However, the random seems to reset every trip, so it's not truly random except one trip at a time.

Big fuel tank. So, although consumption is not impressive, we still refuel less often.

Convenient keyless entry and start. Keep the key in the pocket or purse and not have to fumble with it with winter gloves in and out of the pocket.
  • curious46curious46 Member Posts: 3
    Seriously?? I bought the car based on the gas mileage. That was the pivoting factor. I'm very disappointed but at least I don't drive a PRIUS :mad:
    My mileage is getting better since 1/9/2013 and recently it is going up to 22.3 mpg. I 'm happier now. I guess it depends on how you drive. I'm still adjusting to my new car. It has a very powerful engine even it has only 4 cylinders. Overall, it is worth the money for this beautiful car inside and out.
  • altmycaraltmycar Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Fasteddiechu !
    I will try that as soon as I get back to the car.
    -Hold the menu button (on steering wheel) while looking at fuel consumption screen -
    BTW I've set my display choices (you get to choose 4 from the list) to include
    Tire Pressure (shows all 4 pressures), Compass, Fuel Consumption (instantaneous bar graph with average numeric) and I can't remember the fourth.
  • arkycowboyarkycowboy Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2013
    I purchased my 2013 Altima SL 2.5 with full "tech" package in September. About a week later I drove it from Arkansas to New Orleans. With 2 drivers, we got an impressive indicated 40 MPG (at 75MPH) and 42 MPG (at 70MPH) down and 38-40 MPG back home (in the rain and much slower). Total round trip was about 1200 miles. We filled up at start, topped off about half way (because of the newness of the car and uncertain faith in estimated miles to empty display), when we left NEO (the low fuel warning light was on), again topped off about half way home and finally back at home topped it again. Unfortunately, I did not record the gallons actually put in the tank each time. Most of the time we refueled when stopping to eat and probably had 1/4 or more left on the gauge.

Around town I was getting about 26 in stop and go traffic. I made a couple of short trips (<100 miles each way) and was getting 38-40 MPG. I reset the MPG once I get on the freeway each way, which eliminated any driving in town. I was impressed.

Right after Christmas, I drove to Oklahoma City and could do no better than 33 MPG at any speed from 65 to 80 on basically flat Interstates. I'm not sure what is going on, but something has changed with the car. I did notice that the RPM was higher than I had seen it on previous trips at 75MPH, so that's when I started playing with the speed. It just seemed to me that the CVT was not in the proper "gear" for highway speeds. And in town it is now less than 20 MPG. And yes the OverDrive was on.

I'm tackling one problem at a time. Read on.

As for the navigation, mine started blanking out after about 300 miles into the trip to NEO and was once every 10-15 minutes or so. It continued to get worse and I took it to the dealer. They said they could not "fix" it unless they could "see" it blanking out. I guess their trained eyes would see the blank screen different than me. Maybe there is some hidden codes displayed that I can't see.

The 19th of December, I was heading out to do some shopping and the navigation screen was really going crazy. So I figured it would be a good time to go to the dealership. I stopped counting at 25 blanks after 2 miles of the 3 mile trip. When I got there the service manager got in the car and within a minute, it blanked out 5-6 times. Now his trained eyes saw the problem. They called Nissan and were told to order a new A/V unit.

I finally got the unit changed January 16th. I've only had it in about 150 miles so far and no blanking out. However, I did notice a few changes with the new head unit. BTW, the SD Card is the same one from my original unit as I made a very small mark on it.

1) The radio/XM now sounds like what I had originally expected to have. Before, the bass was kinda mushy and I had the volume at "5" for my desired level. Now, the bass will knock your socks off and the highs are crisp and clean. I now can go no higher than "3" for my level. At "5", it will knock the doors off and I sound like a boom-box on steroids with wheels. This is a NEW XM radio, so make sure to cancel your old one before you get billed for it and also request a new 3-month trial on this one. I did and it worked.

2) The RearView camera has only one view now and it's a bit wider than the old one, but not as wide as the alternate choice of view was. There are 2 sets of lines instead of just one. It may be me, but I think it's a bit brighter and maybe a slightly better resolution.

3) The navigation display is "different" somehow. I'm not sure exactly what, but it just seems to look different. Again, maybe it's just me. But, I do know that the tracking is very smooth and there are no lapses in updating side streets as I drive around town. No, I don't need it in town, but just watching it for any problems such as the blanking and crossing my fingers.

I found another forum a couple months back that has lots of complaints about the navigation problem. So it may be typical for this 1st generation of the "new Altima". I hate it when that happens.

Overall, the car is 5 years newer than my previous 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid technology-wise. However, it has slightly more road, wind and engine noise than the TCH, not counting when the TCH was traveling under 40MPH on electric only, then you could sneak up on a sleeping cat. Initially the Altima had much, much better gas mileage than the TCH and I was very impressed, but now, it's not doing as well as the TCH. Something has changed.
  • altmycaredmualtmycaredmu Member Posts: 1
    So I reset the average mpg before a highway drive.
    Drove from Arlington Va to Fairfax Va on I-66 when traffic was moving Did some in town driving ( slightly heavy footed) then back on 66 to Arlington.
    The avg going to Fairfax was 36.4. upon return home it was 34+.
    Went as low as 31.6 after the heavy footed and in town stretches.

Going to work (in town, red lights stop signs etc) it's about 2 miles. For this kind of driving the car says I am getting 10-11 mpg.

The car is a 2013 SL 3.5 (V-6 engine)
  • onetalloneonetallone Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2013 altima 2.5 SL on 1/20/2013,we have had the car about 4 days,my wife drives the car about 45 each way to and from work. She last complained about the seat from day one,she says i hurts her back about the waist level and works its way to the front of her body,she thinks its the bottom of the seat cushion that is not long enough to meet the back of her knees ,she has tried setting the seat every way she can think of and she even put a pillow on the seat bottom and back and still the same thing.
    I don't think her size would make a difference but she is about 5'9" and about 130lbs,i drove the car home about 50 miles and i thought the seat was pretty comfortable and i was impressed with the size of the cockpit even with a sun roof i can still set in it comfortedly and i am 6'9" tall and about 280lbs.Please let me know if you have gotten your seat fixed or replaced,i saw someting in a google search someone else had the same problem and nissian had a recall on the foam on the back part of the seat.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    I have that problem and many others I have spoken with, do too. I haven't bought a new car yet and that is one of the reasons.

Too bad someone couldn't organize a purchase revolt until they make them less intrusive. The owners who have the most complaints are usually ones who have neck trouble (me) back trouble (me) lower back trouble (me) and anyone who drives with the seat back fairly upright.

It is a pretty big dilemma in my opinion. I felt more sure of this since chatting with others too who hate these new head restraints..even ones who do tilt seat back a lot.

I can't get over the drastic differences in MPG owners appear to be getting with the new 2013 Altima. When I read of slipping belt it somehow didn't surprise me, when I first read that the 4 cyl have a fibre type belt and the 6 cyl still use a steel belt. Although I didn't think it would slip so much as it might wear too fast. I guess the compounds they are using to fend off wear, are naturally harder so now slip issues appear.

I guess manufacturers will never stop using new owners as guinea pigs on our $'s. In fact, I believe it is worse in the past decade as cars have gotten disproportionately more technological. I am amazed at the degree of unfinished product is for sale to the general public, with a defensive stance that they are under wty so why the complaints? Well...DUH...they do not regard our time loss, frustration and stress levels in having to return to the stealership all the time and the whole time NOT having a new car to drive while it is there. And whatabout the gallons of gasoline used all on our dime while they test drive it over and over trying to replicate the issue. And then there is also the fear that we might have bought a lemon, or worse a lemon model. I have become very very skeptical of ANY new car or truck in the last few years even though I am in the market to replace (or add a used to) my present ride. If a new model makes claims that sound too good to be true, my caution flags already have started to whisp. Maybe being almost poor, is not as bad a thing as one might first think, because it means you can never be quick to pull the trigger on a buy of something that is supposed to be new and improved. If it truly is improved, it usually doesn't materialize that way until the 3rd or 4th year in production when they finally get all the bugs sorted out on our dime/dollar, and by then they are already getting ready to release their next guinea pig project on us..
    I've learned but have been recently reminded by reading so many forums lately of newer models, that grass truly isn't always greener over yonder. That green you see is a mirage of your hard-earned bucks dancing across the field...in the opposite direction of your pocket..
    Was reading your post and got to the part of getting lower MPG than when new. So I'm thinking to myself..probably the new 'fibre' or Kevlar belt is wearing..becoming thinner in width. When this happens with a CVT it effectively does not run in its usual circumferential spot on the pulleys at the same highway cruising speed it used to. It was when I read that your RPM's went up it really put a period behind my theory.. I'll betcha that is what is going on. Does it seem a bit slower off the line at a light? The higher RPM's could also be the belt slipping a bit which I have read here in this thread.

I'm curious about your TCH...how many miles when you traded it? Was it a good car? i.e. did you have to invest much time/dollars dealing with issues? I'm sorta considering one or a used Prius to have as a second vehicle to my CRV. Am a little reserved in that I have a healthy cautious respect for the hybrid tech. But it seems they are almost too good to be true. Very few issues..would you agree?
    The one thing that I could envision being a lot different (I haven't driven a hybrid yet) is braking dynamics which most certainly will affect the usual perceptive deceleration handling feel of the car.
    If the belt was becoming thinner after less than 3,000 miles, then it will probably fail very soon, not a good thought so, I don't think this is the problem. I feel that there may be a computer problem as everything is computer-controlled now days even the CVT. My in-town MPH seems to be back up where it was at the beginning. I'll be on the interstate in the next week or so and I'll have another chance to check the MPG.

The TCH had 47,000 miles, it was an excellent car with ZERO problems out of the showroom to trade in. Excellent performance from day one. I was really wanting a new 2013 TCH, but never could get one ordered. Toyota was not taking orders and I wanted to sell before it passed the 50,000 mile mark. I did save about $4,000 over the MSRP expected for the 2013 TCH with the Altima.
    edited January 2013
    I know this is an Altima board, but I will answer the 2nd part of your question about braking performance. Of course when the engine is not engaged, the car does coast, so you need to think ahead when stopping. The learning curve is very natural. Even at a stop sign, if you take your foot off the brake, it will creep just like if the gas engine were running - a design feature.

At this point, I would think that you need to look at MPG / cost and make the decision. I'm a "techie" person, so I just wanted one and loved every mile I drove my 2008, especially at Sonic when you parked, the engine shut off but the A/C or heat just kept on doing their thing with no engine running. Almost everything was electrically operated/powered including brakes and steering. Sweet ride.
    edited January 2013
    Here's the "latest" posted on another board today (1/25) about the Nav problem.

Nissan has now acknowledged to one customer that this is a systemic problem in early production versions of the A/V unit. They are working on a software reload and therefore have stopped sending out new head units for swap to fix the Nav blanking. Good thing is they won't have to tear your dash out. So far, mine is not making any noises.

There is no date as to when the software will be available, but it looks like you may just have to wait for it now. :mad:
    "the engine shut off but the A/C or heat just kept on doing their thing with no engine running. "

Yes, very cool..I could appreciate that. I do plan to drive one ( a hybrid).
    One of my reasons to consider one though is reliability. It seems that Prius owners are thrilled in a number of ways, and you too are saying that your TCH was completely trouble free. I hope your new Altima will perform as well for you. If not, you will be wishing you had kept the TCH. I take it you did not consider the Altima Hybrid? Why the change in brands?
    2013 Altima Hybrid was not available for order when I was looking for a new car.

2013 TCH Hybrid was not available for order when I needed to get a new car.

So I got what was available as I was leaving on a trip within the week and didn't want to put more miles on TCH.
    I spent most of today (1/26) in the car on a quick out of town trip. Even though I did not need the Nav to get where I was going, I set it to give me directions anyway to check it out. Throughout the trip, the display did not blank one time. The scrolling was seamless, just like looking at a paper map and moving your eyes along the route.

Mileage was still abt 33.5mpg overall as the roads were a bit up and down, but still Interstate at 75MPH round trip with RPM at ~1950. Reset the MPG once on freeway up and again coming back so in town did not count. There were a couple of times that it reached 36MPG (sticker estimate), but it didn't stay there very long.

Still have not taken the Interstate where I was getting 40mpg again yet, but will very soon.
  • sdginz13sdginz13 Member Posts: 7
    I purchased this car about a two weeks ago. Came from owning Acuras for the past 6 years. There are currently a slew of serious issues that have yet to be addressed by the dealer or by Nissan. They are as follows.

1) Heated seats are wired incorrectly from the factory. There is no low setting. High heats only the cushion, while low heats only the back.

2) The passenger airbag light indicator says its off when an adult is sitting in the passenger seat. Obviously a serious issue.

3) The CVT transmission emits a rumble like the car is going to die out at about 1200-1500 rpm when accelerating lightly from a stop light.

4) Both of the front doors rub against the frame when opening and closing.

I have contacted the dealer and Nissan USA corporate affairs. As of now they are telling me that there is no fix for any of these issues. I would avoid purchasing the car until these are resolved.

Very dissapointing to say the least for a new car.
    Who is the governing body of safety designs built into vehicles in the USA? I would think that they would be very interested in your obviously faulty passenger airbag light indicator.

It is hard to believe this:

"I have contacted the dealer and Nissan USA corporate affairs. As of now they are telling me that there is no fix for any of these issues. "

Surely those are not the exact words they used?

1) is totally fixable

2) is totally fixable and should be immediately

3) :(

4) this sounds serious also...who knows why..maybe an unreported accident suring transport, or maybe the car hauler guy was having a bad day and winched down the poor car too tight by the transport hooks. This has always concerned me, because I have seen some vehicles really wound down tight. I believe this can strain everything, the unibody, all suspension components, springs, tires, wheels, wheel bearings...you name it. It can throw out factory specs for castor and camber, alignments and can cause poor tracking and a host of other issues.

Next time you see some car haulers in the dealership, just make a note of what I'm talking about..it may take a few before you spot one that has the poor car crunched down like a child's old wagon with a 200 lb'r sitting in it.

IMO, this should be a measurable component involved with destination, (especially when you consider the serious potential of hard to find and then address damage later) but have no idea how it could be done. The transport drivers have to give a damn for starters. Pretty sure that this mounting IS mechanized at the ship level, (computer controlled tensioning as per the specific vehicle being tied down) so this type of damage almost always is attributed to local delivery negligence. One thing I do is actually look at the tie-off hooks and at least see if they look like they or where they are spot welded to the unibody have been over-stressed. Its not much but better than nothing.
    I took the car to the dealer where I bought the car and got the technician reset the mpg. Now, I have been getting 25 mpg.
  • gemstone1gemstone1 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2013 2.5 Altima SL at the end of Dec, 2012. The purchase decision was based on the gas mileage. This Altima replaced a 2011 Toyota Camry. With the Camry(4cyl) I consistently got 29+mpg, with 2/3 road, 1/3 city. The Altima now has 4000+ miles, and I've filled up 6 times, with an average mpg of 35.78. However, my mpg has been decreasing with each subsequent fill up. The last 2 tanks have resulted in 34 mpg. My driving patterns remain unchanged. I really have to watch how I accelerate to maintain decent mileage. This means keeping the RPMs at 1250-1500, and rarely ever hitting 2000 rpms when accelerating. The best gas mileage occurs at 59mph, then at 63 mph. I will be disappointed if my mileage does not get back up to the 37 mpg range, as it did with my 3rd and 4th tank. This is the 5th Altima I have owned. The 2009 was the best overall performing and riding Altima I've owned. The 2013 does not ride as well, though the bluetooth and heated seats are its best features.
    edited March 2013
    I too have experienced similar "problems" with MPG.

Within a week of purchase, I made a round trip to New Orleans from central Arkansas. I got 42/40 MPG at 75/80 MPH overall. For the round trip, I filled up just 4 times even though it was not really needed, but being a new car, I had not yet learned to trust the fuel gauge or remaining miles. Only once was I down to the fuel warning alert and that did spook me some.

When I got back and running around town, it was getting 35 MPG or greater with no regard to my "lead foot" or traffic.

After about 4000+ miles, the in town mileage is now ~18 MPG. When watching the RPM, and like the post above, keeping it below 1,500 RPM, I was able to gently approach 24 MPG.

Recently a trip (400 miles R/T) via interstate, cruise control on and speed of 75 MPH, I was able to do no better than 33 MPG overall.

Something is up with the Altima at ~4,000 miles. Although, my sticker says 27 MPG and 38 MPG, it's not there any more. Still, it's better than my previous car.
  • mike4301mike4301 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought the 2013 Altima S based on the fact that im gonna save on gas, but I end up paying more, the computer in the gas that tells you how many miles you have left on your gas tank, reads 180 miles left ( for example) then I drive 3 miles then it reads that I have 173 miles left, and I only drove 3 miles NOT 7 miles. so basically I am consuming for a 6 cylinders and driving a 4 cylinders, im so pissed that I got rid of my 2010 corolla, where I used to get 33 TRUE miles per gallon. This is my first and last Nissan. I m very disappointed. Nissan lied and im sure they gonna have a big mess on their hands soon, worse than what Toyota had.
    The miles left in the tank display is constantly being updated.

If you are a coaster (good MPG), the mileage will increase as you drive up to a point. If you are a lead-footer, it will decrease as you drive, again to a point.

While I was getting 42MPG on my trip and under cruise control, the miles left was dropping about 1 mile for every 5 to 8 miles I drove, which was somewhat unsettling, but nice to see. It started out showing 485 miles after a fill up after sucking empty. Then, after about 100 miles of Interstate driving with "great" indicated miles left, it began to drop about 2 miles for every 1 driven. After about another 100 miles, it was tracking pretty much 1 for 1 and probably displaying a realistic number from then on out. This happened about the half tank point.

Bottom line, I would not start across the desert with a half tank of gas indicated, even though the miles left was saying 300+. You will end up pushing or walking for sure. In other words, enjoy the high numbers shown, but don't take it to the bank.

The instantaneous MPG shown on the Driver Display is a bit more accurate as it's metering the gas past a point vs the speed. As you can see, it fluctuates a lot as you drive, thus the crazy reading on the miles left numbers. Overall, the Altima does get pretty good mileage for a mid-size family car. My older SUV gets 14MPG going downhill.
  • lsonensheinlsonenshein Member Posts: 1
    The first weekend we owned our 2013 Altima 2.5S we got 40 mpg on the highway and over 20 in the city. Since then the mileage has deteriorated, getting lower with each fill-up. We are now at 17 in the city and 30 on the highway.How much worse will it get?
    Have you noticed that at any given preferred speed that you drive at, if the RPM's are higher now than when the car was new? I have heard a bit about Nissan having some belt issues..not sure if it is premature wear or not. But if the belt is wearing too fast and is sitting lower in the pulleys then that would increase rpm's and consequently lower FE. This wear then, if that is the reason, would also not necessarily jive with the other electronic algorithm parameters set and also maybe cause more fuel consumption.
  • gemstone1gemstone1 Member Posts: 2
    This is an update. I drive 2/3 highway, 1/3 city. My car now has 4800 miles. At fill up my 2013 Altima SL 4cyl would show 677 miles to go to empty. Then it would increase in mileage to a point of about 748 miles to empty then slowly decrease as long you're light on the gas pedal. With each fill up my miles to go to empty has decreased. Today with my 7th fill up since Dec, it now showed 566 miles to go to empty. My mileage has been decreasing over the past 2 months, 4 miles per gallon. I didn't buy this Altima to beat out my 2011 Camry(29 mpg) by only 4 mpg. Not happy..
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I didn't buy this Altima to beat out my 2011 Camry(29 mpg) by only 4 mpg. Not happy..

Well then you probably shouldn't have bought an Altima. The Combined EPA rating for the 2013 Altima 2.5 is 31. Camry, 26. That's a 5mpg difference. Granted, it's 5, not 4, but you should've anticipated a change of somewhere from 3-7mpg, based on driving style.

Is it safe to assume you're calculating mileage not based on the computer, but rather using the odometer and gallons pumped each time?
  • 29bob29bob Member Posts: 1
    Any recommendations for replacement seats? 2002 Altima.
    Especially interested in replacing the passenger seat.
  • 13altima13altima Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2013 Altima. On the trip computer display there are 2 sides, Average and Driving. On the driving side there is a trip timer and it is constantly timing. How do I stop the timer? I tried resting the trip computer and it goes back to 0:00 and starts again. Also, how do I reset the DTE (distance to empty)?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Also, how do I reset the DTE (distance to empty)?

I would think DTE would be automated, like it is in my car (a Sonata). It's dependent on driving style and fuel left in the tank. When I pump gas with the car "ON" but not running, you can actually watch the Range climb mile by mile until the tank is full.