Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Forester Heater Issues

sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
My feet are constantly cold in the 2010 Forester. It appears as though they put a plastic piece on the discharge (near your feet (or should I say calves) that blows most of the air out towards the back of the car rather than towards my feet. Thus, no matter what I do, my feet are cold in the winter while the rest of me is way too hot...especially my face as it doesn't seem you can actually turn off the defrost entirely.

Any suggestions? Comments?

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited January 2012
    Better socks? ;)

But seriously, it's tough because heat will always rise. Maybe you could spray some insulation on the under side? Mask carefully if you do go that route.

I've never noticed that issue on our 09. My '93 Miata was the opposite - it would BAKE your feet with heat if you were not careful.
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    Yes, Ateixeira,

I never had this problem with my 2009 of the same car either...it is this 2010, there is a new air deflector which makes more of the air go towards the cabin instead of my feet. I'd rather have feet too hot than too cold in the winter.

RE: the insulation suggestion: Would that be just under your feet on the metal underside of the car? Do you think that would be easy to get to, or would you need a lift? I assume the masking is to avoid the exhaust pipe? Anything else I need to watch out for?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    I notice the air hitting my legs a little below the knees, so that deflector doesn't surprise me. Have you looked down there and can see it? If so, perhaps it can be easily removed... ? I have a 2010 as well, but this is the wrong time of year for me to go rooting around under the dash unless it is critical (too cold, too dark!).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    :-) Yep, xwesx, a bit chilly, but we have had some nice days in January. If I recall properly, are you in AL? That would be much worse than CO where I am (I assume).

I'll have to look again, but it looks like if you could take the deflector off it would blow straight out to the side, ie at your knees, and the hot air would not go down at all, I was thinking of somehow covering the hole that blows the air toward the cabin...duct tape would make a mess, so not sure what to use if I consider that option.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    AK (Alaska), but I think that's what you intended. -30F or colder the last week plus, so yeah, a bit chilly.

If there would be a way to reposition the deflector to blow the opposite direction, that would move the air where you want it, because then it would naturally divert from the firewall down over the feet and across the floor.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Yep, Alaska! That's what I meant...typo. Brrrrr. Chilly!!!! -30F Ahhhh!!!!

That's a good idea. I don't know if I can do it, but if I could pull it out and flip it 90 degrees, or perhaps even 180 I might get more heat towards my feet. I'll take a look at that this weekend if it is warm enough...Hopefully will be in the 50s like last weekend....not so now as it is in the single digits. ;-)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I would mask anything you don't want to get the insulation on, yeah. The exhaust pipe would burn it off and smell awful, at a minimum.

I imagine a set of rhino ramps would get it high enough. You have to spray upward, though, that might be tricky.