Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Repair manual

cr03cr03 Member Posts: 1
Hi everyone. I just bought an 03 Echo and was looking for a repair manual, though I couldn't find one. Did Haynes or Chilton ever publish one for this car?

Comments

• echofanechofan Member Posts: 20
    I found a factory manual for my '02 at www.manualspace.com (free download)

Took a quick look just now & didn't see an '03 there, but the '00-'02 one may be useful. The site's not the most organized, so there may actually be an '03 there somewhere.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    Except for sheet metal alll ECHOs are mechanically the same.
  • melaniesecho01melaniesecho01 Member Posts: 1
    Hey all,
    I was in the hospital with a Multiple Sclerosis Flare and was hospitalized for nearly a year off and on. During all of that time, no one started my car. I know that at this point, the fuel in my tank is no good and has turned to varnish which will destroy my car. PLEASE hep if you can. I own a 2002 Toyota Echo and I am wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a simple drain plug on the fuel tank from underneath the car that I may just easily drain the fluid from? I know that siphoning will not work because of anti-siphoning measures toyota probably has on the 2002 toyota echo? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me. It's all I can do to beg. I really need this car running so I can go back to work. PLEASE I beg anyone who reads this to please help me. For a 2002 Toyota Echo. Thank you God Bless you all.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    There is no reason to think that one-year-old gas in your tank is bad, I will bet it is not.

Fuel tanks do not have drain plugs - to drain the tank it has to be removed and drained by suction.

I would change the oil and air up the tires and just crank it up! (might need a new battery or a trickle charge on the battery that is in it)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

edited February 2012
    I agree I think you will be fine.

Was the tank full? When you went into the hospital? That is the best way to store gas. If it wasnt fill it up as soon as possible. Maybe even with a 1 gallon cgas can you can buy at the hardware store one gallon at a time.

Dont worry about your car. Yes change the oil and charge the battery. If you have AAA they can tow it to a garage and they will take care of everything.

Good luck and I wish you the best getting on with your life.

Tell us what happens. If you need more help we are here for you.
  • danny5465danny5465 Member Posts: 6
    I too am having a problem with what seems to be fuel flow. I dont want to replace the fuel pump unless it needs replacing. How can I check to see if the fuel pump is getting power to it?
    What are the problems you are having? I doubt it is the pump if the engine runs.

Yeah you dont want to blindly replace things one after another trying to solve a problem.

Thats whay shops do to you to get as much money as possible before you die.
    The car ran but stopped shortly after my daughter filled it up. She said it was really empty. It feels like a no fuel to the injectors type of problem. I disconnected the fuel line going to the injectors and put it a bottle then cranked the engine. No gas at all in the line. So I went back to the gas tank under the back seat and found the fuel pump. I removed the connector from the power box and checked for voltage. there was about 8.5 volts on one prong with the key on, nothing on the other three. I tried swapping the EFI relay and made sure the EFI fuse was good (along with all the rest). Still no go. I'll probably replace the pump filter and strainer all because I don't want to keep getting into the full gas tank. Any Suggestions before I replace it all?

Thanks!

Danny-
    edited November 2012
    You say the tank was really empty when your daughter filled it up?

Do you hear the pump run when you turn on the ingition?

I would wire the fuel pump on if possible and look for fuel like you did at the injectors.

I have to believe the problem resulted from low fuel, not bad components.

I would be doing everything I could to get fuel to the injectors before I spent money replacing what most likely are good parts.
    Good luck and tell us what happens!
    Thanks for the reply, I can't hear the fuel pump running at all even when I'm right next to it. I did take the whole thing out of the gas tank (couldn't wait) and looked at the strainer. It was a little dirty and brownish in color but nothing that would prevent gas from passing through it. The fuel pump has two pieces one that the pump is housed in and the other that clips on to it. I don't know what the big plastic filter piece has in it as I didn't actually take it apart. What I'm thinking happened was that the pump sucked up the dirt at the bottom of the tank and is stuck. At least that's what I hope. Either way I ordered the parts online so not as expensive as going to autozone. Once I get them it should be a quick replacement. I'll repost the results. If it's not that I guess it's to the shop with it where I can really spend money! :(
    edited November 2012
    Sounds like the pump is shot and you are on the right track to fixing it.

I think one part is the pump and one part is the filter.

The filter isnt normally replaced as I understand it.

Well after much hope and some work I'm sorry to say the car still won't start. I have replaced the fuel pump, strainer, filter, and relay. I can hear the pump running for a few seconds after cranking so I'm pretty sure its good. I still don't think I'm getting gas to the injectors. It was dark so I didn't pull the line and crank it into a bottle to confirm. I did try to blow through the line from the side where the pump is located there's a plastic L shaped adapter that fits into the fuel pump housing but couldn't get any air through at all, but that might be normal I don't really know. I'll try a couple more things tomorrow, but am starting to think I just need to take it to a repair shop. Any suggestions are appreciated:-)

Thanks
    Danny-
    edited November 2012
    Wow have you opened the gas line to the injectors and run the pump to see if gas runs out? At this point I would be looking for a kink or obstruction in the lines. Maybe its a matter of priming the pump somehow?

You said the car ran low on gas I think. Got to believe the problem is related to that. But how I dont have a clue.

Oh I know!

Have someone crank the engine while you spray ether or even gas into the intake. Maybe remove the air filter first? If it fires at leaast you know its gas. It might be encouraged to keep running.
    Thanks for all of the help and comments. Here's where I am. I did remove the air filter and sprayed starter fluid into the intake manifold and the engine did run for a second or two enough to burn off the fluid of course then quit. At least I know I'm getting spark. SoI figured that it must be a clogged fuel line. Since I cant get under the car I had it towed to the local repair shop. They checked the same things I did and said the problem is two fold. First the main thing that caused the problem in the first place was that my daughter put DIESEL not gasoline in her tank. That caused the pump to go out. I of course have already replaced the pump and tried cranking and cranking so I ruined the second pump as well! Talk about adding insult to injury! Well we are going to put a third pump in now and real gas so I should have it back in a few days. Does anyone know if the Corolla uses the same fuel pump setup?

Thanks. Danny-
    In addition to the post above. Does anyone know if running Diesel will cause the pump to fail? I can't believe that the new pump is also bad by just cranking.

Thanks
    Danny-
    edited November 2012
    I have heard of people putting diesel in their gas vehicles but never heard the pump went bad. Never.

But you didnt have any evidence of fuel at the injectors so if the pump was good it should have got fuel to the injectors.

Maybe they are right?

I hope you get the car going again! Tell us when you do!

No idea about the corolla vs ECHO fuel pump compatibility.
    FRIEND at work says diesel wont go thru the fuel filter.

That would explain no fuel at the injectors.

If you had diesel at the injectirs I would think you would smell it when you tried to fill the can.

I will enquirer further.

Dont hang the shop yet!
    People I have talked to say if the pump was old POSSIBLY diesel could ruin it.

Unlikely a new one such as you installed would be harmed.

HOWEVER no one would catagorically say "Diesel will ruin a fuel pump" or had the experience of it happening.