Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Low speed engine noise

collinsjencollinsjen Member Posts: 1
I have a 2011 Forester premium with about 50000 miles on it. I love it and wish I'd never had another car. Because of some issues with my being very ill for several months and some idiot at Walmart stripping the screw that lets the oil drain and my difficulties in getting this part (don't live anywhere near dealer but going to have to go there anyway) I am behind on an oil change. The oil level appears fine and there aren't lights. I don't know what 0w20 looks like when healthy so I'm not sure how bad the oil looks. I have no clue if this is related but when I drive slowly, say 10-25 mph there is an engine rattle, especially if accelerating. There is nothing at rest or at normal speeds. I know foresters can be rattley but this sounds like it is actually in the engine, not just a vibration. Any ideas? I'm scared of cost since I am incomeless at the moment.

Thanks

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Even if a shop has to tap a new hole in the oil pan, I would do that right away. Engine oil is the life blood and odd sounds could be a sign of less-than-ideal lubrication or oil flow.

Let's hope it's just a loose exhaust heat shield, but I'd still fix that ASAP.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    edited January 2012
    Not sure how far overdue, but I agree, you don't want to run with over-used oil. Most critical is your oil's total base number (TBN), which is a measure of the oil's ability to buffer the acids produced while the engine is operating. Once that number is below 1.0, the oil's ability to buffer becomes compromised and damage could result. Of course, you don't know what that number is unless you have a used oil analysis performed. That's why there are manufacturer specifications for change intervals - it isn't because the oil is used up by then, but it provides a "safe" guideline for oil changes without the need for a UOA to verify.

That said, with 50,000 miles on the car, your plugs might simply be getting old and not igniting as well as they once did. That would result in pinging, especially on acceleration.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • morelecmorelec Member Posts: 2
    thinking about buying a used subaru seen a 2001 with about 130k on it, what is the difference between a forester and outback, also how are they in light off road, sand, mud etc. thanks alot
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited January 2012
    Similar powertrains, if you get the normally aspirated EJ25.

Forester is boxier and more upright. The cargo area is taller.

The Outback is longer and has a longer cargo area, with less height.

I think the Outback's back seat has more leg room.

We had a 98 Forester and an 02 Legacy wagon, and we both preferred the Forester, for a lot of little reasons. Both were good cars. We have an 09 Forester now.

I took the 98 Forester on sand and it did well, just make sure you air down the tires to 18psi and drive with smooth inputs.
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    "... 2011 Forester premium with about 50,000 miles... Because of... some idiot at Walmart stripping the screw that lets the oil drain and my difficulties in getting this part... I am behind on an oil change. The oil level appears fine and there aren't lights... when I drive slowly, say 10-25 mph there is an engine rattle, especially if accelerating. There is nothing at rest or at normal speeds..."

How did you find out that Walmart stripped the drain plug?
    Did that cause oil to leak?
    If so, what happened next?
  • byranjbyranj Member Posts: 3
    When I am accelerating at low speed I hear a pinging or clacking noise. It is most prominent when the temp. is hot or humid. Could someone telll me what it is or help me because thus far the dealer cannot. My forester is a 2011.
    How many miles on the car? Sounds like a little bit of detonation. I would think the knock sensor would adjust the timing to compensate, but perhaps you're not getting a solid spark from your plugs.

I noticed the performance of my stock plugs started deteriorating the last six months I had them in the car. I put new plugs in it in July when I did its annual maintenance, and the issue was gone.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I have close to 20,000 miles on my 2011 Forester.
    That's pretty young; I wouldn't expect there to be a spark issue yet. Sounds like a job to be sorted out on warranty.

One other possibility.... air filter. If that hasn't been changed, the car's likely being starved for air under load at this point.
    When you say " a job to be sorted out on warranty " what do you mean?
    I mean it that it sounds like something isn't working properly, but your car is still under warranty... so make it Subaru's problem instead of yours.