Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-5

Comments

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited March 2012
    I believe the fiber lining in the wheel wells is to suppress road and tire noise.

You could be partially right but I firmly believe it was a weight saving method as well. It seems that the pictures I've seen of the GT it appeared the wheels filled the wheelwells up more but it could just be an optical illusion as you said. I know on different vehicles they can go from 17 to 20 inch wheels and I'm sure the outside diameter of the overall tire/wheel package is greater with the larger wheels. I realize the sidewalls are narrower on the low aspect tires but on most cars when you get the larger wheels it certainly appears to fill the wheelwells up more. I'm certainly no expert on wheels though.

I prefer the GT as I really like leather interiors but I could do with the 17" wheels just as well if the look is similar but to my knowledge the 19" comes standard on the GT. I usually only buy new tires for a vehicle once so a couple of hundred extra bucks for the 19" tires over 90k plus miles is not a problem.
  • ethan_in_waethan_in_wa Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2012
    I fail to see how adding more material is a weight savings measure. The fiber lining, which is only used in the back, is fastened to the inside of the wheel wells. The substrate behind this fiber lining is sheet metal. The sheet metal is also lined with a sound damping elastomer which is used in both the front and back. The idea is to attenuate road and tire noise so that its not transmitted to the cabin via the frame. This is a solid approach to noise abatement that demonstrates Mazda's commitment to quality in design.

Regarding the wheel size, the overall diameter of the wheels on the Touring and Grand Touring models is nearly identical. The Touring has P225/65R17 wheels while the GT has P225/55R19 wheels. The first number is the tire width in millimeters. The second number is the aspect ratio, which is the height of the tire as a percentage of the width. The final number is the rim diameter in inches.

To prove my earlier assertion, lets run the numbers. The overall diameter of the wheels on the Touring model is 17+2*.65*225/25.4 = 28.5 inches, whereas for the GT the overall wheel diameter is 19+2*.55*225/25.4 = 28.7 inches (note that mm are converted to inches using 1 inch = 25.4 mm and tire width is multiplied by two to get diameter). As you can see, the wheels on the GT are only 0.2 inches larger in diameter, which is almost indiscernible. So yes, the larger rims created the ILLUSION of a larger wheel, without actually increasing wheel size. :)
  • debbadoo2debbadoo2 Member Posts: 24
    Thoughts on the premium cloth seats in the Touring model? Do they appear to be good quality material? How about comfort level?
    Thanks for the explanation. I poked around in the wheelwells for a couple of seconds and pushed on the fiber lining and felt a lot of give so I assumed they used the fiber matting in lieu of something more substantial. I did find this strange and the salesperson found it kind of strange too. Not that most salespeople know that much about new products when they have only been in the dealer for a couple of weeks. But if, as you say, the matting is simply an addon for sound dampening that is great. I'm not questioning Mazda's engineering expertise.

I wonder if, on some vehicles when they use a larger tire often for sport models, they actually lower the vehicle on the suspension so the wheelwells are lower thus making the larger rims/tires seem much bigger?
    I was concerned about the same thing. The fabric is actually quite nice, so far as cloth seats go. The side bolsters and seat back are solid in color while the seat and back sections are patterned. In terms of comfort, the seats are firm; the side bolsters more so.
    I understand the reason for your confusion. The fiber panels in the rear wheel wells are offset from the sheet metal substrate so they appear to be unsupported from behind. By offsetting these panel there is less contact with the sheet metal behind them, thereby reducing the transmission of noise to the frame.

The CX-5 does ride higher than most of the competition so the gap in the wheel wells is more obvious. Dropping the suspension would make the wheels look proportionately bigger.
  • mcperrmcperr Member Posts: 74
    Has anyone heard yet if the CX-5 can be flat towed? Debating between AWD versions of the CX-5 and the CR-V for towing behind a motorhome. The CR-V can be towed with all four wheels on the ground.
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    I took a look at the CX-5 the other day. The 2.0L engine is probably a deal-killer for me. Give me the MZR 2.5L and I'd be interested.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    13 horsepower? Really? and the 2.5L has one less gear (if you get the automatic..and it's a worse automatic) and about 100 more pounds near as I can tell. That makes it nearly a zero-sum game there, unless you're looking for the torque.

You can have the MZR 2.5L. I think what most people are looking for is a SKYACTIV 2.5L. ;)
  • venkatgovenkatgo Member Posts: 1
    Hi new CX5 owners, Congrats!

This seems to be a nice CUV and I am planning to buy. Could you please list the overall mpg you are getting with your calcs and not computer with city/hwy driving split approx?

Is the fuel efficiency as advertised? I believe the Mazda 3 has the skyactiv engine as well and delivers good mpg and so I hope the CX5 does too.

I see a lot of folks are interested in the MPG and so it would be useful to post here.

thanks!
  • nelson1nelson1 Member Posts: 41
    Good report, Ethan. You answered lots of questions that I had. I am contemplating trading off my 2011 Hyundai Sonata Ltd., because of the loud road noise at highway speeds. Can't tolerate that any longer. Dealer and Hyundai tell me to buy new Michelin tires. Ha. Sure, buy new tires for a new car, right. Thinking about the CX5. Even though I have never owned a Mazda, I am thinking on it. I like the looks, wish it had a few more horses.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    I also suggest new tires.

Its a heck of a lot cheaper than a new car.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• gusman3gusman3 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of finalizing my purchase of a CX5 Touring model. But I have question regarding the headlights. The brochure and sticker states it is halogen, but it looks like Xenon. Even on vehicles the optional Tech package which includes the Xenon light and on basic Touring/Sports models without them, the head light looks same as Xenon. Can the owners of the CX5 confirm if the head light is Xenon or not. Also, please list the mileage obtained after fill ups. Thanks.
    Only the Touring and Grand Touring models with the tech package offer the xenon headlights. However, even the standard halogen projectors are pretty good on the CX-5. I test drove a touring without the tech package but bought one with it; the difference at night is noticeable but not significantly so. The big advantage in my opinion is the adaptive lights. I have these on my IS350 and they do improve visibility while cornering.

I will be sure to post my mileage on my next fill up. So far I've barely burned through a quarter of a tank!
  • stan6201stan6201 Member Posts: 26
    I bought a CX-5 Touring and for me the cloth seats are great. The material is nice and with the adjustable lumbar support (which is hard to find with cloth) I am a happy camper. I could not see the value in upgrading to the Grand Touring model.
  • stan6201stan6201 Member Posts: 26
    I just purchased a Touring model with the Bose/moonroof package. I love the vehicle but am very disappointed with the Bose sound. Unless you are listening to a CD it sounds like everything is coming out of the center speaker. Does anyone know of a way of replicating the CD sound while listening to other sources (Ipod, mp3 player, radio, HD radio, etc.)?
    Agreed. Overall the CX-5 offers great value with an impressive set of features for a very competitive price, but sadly the Bose system is sub par in my opinion. I've noticed this same thing; the center channel seems to be dominant, which is a bad thing when listening to stereo audio. The Mark Levinson system in my other car blows this one away with a much richer, cleaner sound - then again I'm not a big fan of Bose. I expect a little more from a thousand dollar optional audio upgrade.
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    The Bose isn’t a $1k audio upgrade by itself – it’s part of an option package includes a moonroof, which is typically a~ $800-1k stand-alone option on most any car. The Bose is obviously worth far less than that. Too bad Mazda made these two unrelated options part of the same package. I’d rather have the moonroof as a single option, and add aftermarket stereo of my own choice.
  • 62vette62vette Member Posts: 19
    I am looking at replacing a Chevy Silverado with a CX-5. I have not used my truck bed in forever and can use some inside cargo room for work. I am thinking of a lease on this car, anybody have any experience with a lease so far? Any ideas on payments, residuals, etc would be appreciated.
  • glossgloss Member Posts: 150
    You can disable Centerpoint in the audio options. Worth a shot.
    Does anyone have a guess how premium fuel would affect the performance of the 2.0L skyactiv engine? Would it increase performance, do nothing or even decrease performance(can't see how but...)???

Question on the AWD system. If a tire blows out or gets damaged and the tires are say half worn down, do you have to change all 4 tires because of the AWD system or can you just change one? I've read that some AWD systems are so sensitive that putting a new tire on when the others are substantially worn could damage the AWD system.

Also, someone mentioned deleting Centerpoint in the Bose system. What is that and how does it work? And if someone tries it to make the sound better can you report back. Tks.
    re: Fuel - I think, if the ECU were recalibrated to Euro spec, it should boost horsepower to around 163.

re: Centerpoint - This is Bose's audio processing that I believe attempts to take a stereo audio mix and break it out into more of a 5.1 layout. It can be disabled in the options.
    No need. Centerpoint is already disabled for most types of input, including USB and radio (the two I use frequently).
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    re: Fuel - I think, if the ECU were recalibrated to Euro spec, it should boost horsepower to around 163.

I beleive a Mazda executive mentioned at the LA Auto Show that running Premium Fuel gives a slight increase in power. He did not elaborate as to how much. or whether it had an impact on the fuel economy at all.
    aviboy97, any inkling on the tire replacement question I posed regarding the AWD system??
  • crystycrysty Member Posts: 3
    Is 26k out the door a good price for a touring model with moonroof? Thanks
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,440
    can't say about OTD, since that depends on fees, taxes and registration where you are, etc.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• 4326win4326win Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a CX5 an d have a few questions. Has anyone really checked their mileage? What other cars did you look at..Equinox? I've heard the equinox doesn't get close to 32,pg and wonder if this one does.

I appreciate any comments
    from reading reviews, and looking at the specs, I am guessing that the 5 has a much better chance of actually getting the mileage they claim it will.

been doing some more comparing. The 5 is looking more and more like the best overall option, factoring in the equipment level for the price, mileage, how nice it drives, room, etc. Good bang for the buck.

Even the Escape, to get it with the stuff the 5 GT has (an SEL) is going to sticker at 2-2.5K more (though may have a few extra things like the nav).

As long as the 2.0 engine really has enough power to handle the highway and some hills, looks like a winner. Now, if they had made it say a 2.3l with 175HP and more torque, without giving up more than 1-2 MPGs, could be even better!

• amagaramagar Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    We payed dealer invoice....after lots of haggling between half-dozen dealers. I think it's still too soon to say what's a good price. Dealers are loathe to go low with what's supposed to be their newest, hottest thing on the market. Also, the vehicle configuration we wanted -- GT AWD..white with black interior -- wasn't in stock anywhere. So that played into our price, too.

On gas mileage: We rented an Equinox last year and put 4,500 miles on it during a road trip. Husband loved the power it had (and I liked the comfort, though not the styling)....but we were deeply disappointed in the gas mileage...it was 8 or 9 mpg less than advertised. Not good. Hopefully, the CX-5 will live up to its mpg billing...or I'm going to hear about it...because, during the test drive, the only thing lacking -- like so many others have said -- was power.

Does anyone know how the insurance top safety pick (came out yesterday) will impact cost of insurance on this vehicle? We got a quote from our insurance agent this week (before it was a top safety pick) and we were surprised by how much they wanted to charge....
    I was pretty sure that Centerpoint was only disabled for Bluetooth. USB and CD both make use of it.

Perhaps I'm mistaken.
    I've yet to make it to the second tank of gas, but at 200 miles the tank was almost exactly half empty. The capacity of the tank is 15.3 gallons, so based upon the assumption that it consumed ~7.5 gallons in 200 miles the average mileage is approximately 26 mpg. This corroborates very closely with what the trip computer is reading (~25.7 mpg). About 80% of these miles have been below 45 mph on local roads with frequent start and stops and the remaining 20% at highways speeds varying between 55 - 70 mph. The average speed has been less than 25 mph.

My CX-5 is AWD and the EPA rated mileage is 25/31 mpg. So far its definitely living up to Mazda's claims.

In terms of power, I'd say its plenty adequate for most driving conditions. To give it some go you do have to punch the peddle and make it work a little, but I've found it does deliver enough power to pass or make it up hills, even steep ones. As I said in my earlier reviews, the rated HP is somewhat deceiving as it would have you believe the car is less capable than it is.
    Actually, you're correct. I noticed today that Centerpoint can be used with USB, though I don't recommend it. According to the manual Centerpoint is not available for AM/FM radio, Bluetooth, and Auxiliary input.

Without Centerpoint turned on the Bose system is decent for a vehicle that's under $30k. It could be better in my opinion, but for most people's tastes it probably sufficient.
    edited March 2012
    stickguy, please see my response to 4326win regarding power.

My other car has 306 hp and does 0-60 in ~5.4 seconds, yet I still really enjoy driving the CX-5. Perhaps what I like about how it drives the most is that its amazingly nimble (it definitely does not drive like any other crossover I've driven) and yet is very well mannered and comfortable for every day driving. Plus with the mileage I'm getting its a pretty guiltless pleasure!
    you make a good case. I can't wait to try it myself (we tested one last weekend but my wife drove and I rode along). So far it sounds like it should be fine for us. My wife will mostly drive locally, but we do fairly frequent highway trips, so as long as it can cruise along with a modest load at 70-75, no problems.

the comfort and nice driving experience you can enjoy every time you get in, even going slow. And better MPG will be nice!

• michel_in_mtlmichel_in_mtl Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    Hi from a new cx-5 owner :)

I have a new pearl white GT with tech package awd ( fully loaded ) , I am a new rep on the road and do need to visit customers on a regular base and do need to carry large sample cases so I need a flexible and easy access to the cargo area.
    I am 48 and own around 15 vehicles so far. including an Audi A4 1.8l quattro 2001 from 2003 to 2011 and a 2007 Saturn Aura 3.5l from 2011 to 2012 and Now the cx-5 2013.
    I live in Montreal,Quebec so so we have to live with facts like very high gas price ( 1.45/l reg = 5.45 us gallon ) bad road condition lots of holes specially at this time of the year and also weather conditions in winter .

So the vehicle I was shopping had to be :
    1- Good on gas
    2- Fun to drive
    3- AWD
    4- Space inside the cabin and in cargo area

I bought the cx-5 after long research and 3 road tests. And after 2 weeks I am very impress with the cx-5 it is quiet on the road ( quieter than the A4 and the Aura ) . A joy to drive like tha A4 , I can not tell for the AWD as we do not have snow anymore because of early warm weather this year.

I decided to test the cx-5 last weekend to we went from Montreal to Vermont and go arround Lake Champlain via small raods to enjoy the scenery we had 1 nignt stay in Tinconderoga and back on the road always and as much as we could use scenic secondary roads dtour via lake placis and st-Huberts and to hwy 87 to Plattburgh and back to Montreal See google maps link :

http://g.co/maps/vdvg2

I put the computer to 0 and after the complete ride we had 7.4l (32 / mi per us gal and ac was on most of the time as is was so warm this past weekend ) has an average fuel economy witch is on par with :

http://www.fueleconomy.gov

The trip we made was full of hills up and down lots of speed limit chages and tons of curves so it is not the ideal condition to get the best fuel economy but we still manage to get 32 for this pleasant trip .

We did not had any fatique due to the seats they are good and confortable , the ride is also confortable and quiet , the xenon headlights are fantastic wich i had with the Audi A4 but the cx-5 are much better I guess xenon has evolve since 2001 .

I think it has good linear power enough for me as I wanted an economic vehicule ( at 5.45/gal ) you understand why ...

The transmission is a real joy it shifts very fast and bearly unnoticable.
    The only thing I would like mazda to improve is the transmission is program to shift too eary to save fuel therefore during normal cruising it is ok but we do need to get it to downshift to face a hill ... that may be a future improvement via an update ?

I am 100% happy with my choice

If you have any questions feel free to ask .

Michel
    all cars are programmed to shift like that now. Some do a better job though at kicking down, but most try to avoid it at all costs.

best bet, slide it over to manual mode and do it yourself!

• bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    And for all of the haters out there who think that gate is for wannabe posers, no, it DOES serve useful purposes! :)
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I urged my sister to consider this as a replacement for her 1995 Accord Wagon. She's going to test drive a 2WD version with the 6 speed manual on Sunday...
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    That would be the cx-5 that interests me. Let us know how she likes it. I figure the MT will take care of all the "peppiness" issues, as the transmission will shift when you want it to all the time every time.

Wish they still made the Accord wagon for the USA. That would be my ideal car - with the diesel engine. Hopefully the diesel should hit 40 mpg in the cx-5 when it arrives.
  • pppkpppk Member Posts: 5
    What do you feel?

Cx5 touring AWD with moon roof for 26950, is it a good deal??
  • dgh53dgh53 Member Posts: 2
    I test drove the CX5 touring model. Found the 2.0 engine and automatic to work just fine. All around I like the vehicle, but the seating and steering though I could set all over the place but none were right for me. The steering wheel by the time you get it tilted down was blocking the odmeter way too much. The steering wheel if in anything but in the down mode is tilted way to vertical like an old style truck wheel angle not good. The electric seat was funky the seat would not raise the seat high enough for me, and when it did go to it's highest setting tilted the lower seat cushion forward like it was dumping you out of the seat. Like the car but the six way seat was unacceptable in any settings I could find. I am five eight and like the seat back a little so my knees are not in the dash, and high enough up so I don't feel like I am in a old claw foot tub or somehting like the old Escorts. Going to go see if the SPort or GRand Touring are any better for seating and the steering wheel. Disappointed with the seating. :(
    that was one of the reasons we moved off the T to the GT when we were checking them out last week. The GT has a normal power seat, and you can tilt the front up and the back down (the way I like it). The T was just like the manual ratchet seats that I hate, but with a motor (they all work like those electric recliners for old people, dumping you forward).

The leather seats are nice too.

• ittybittyittybitty Member Posts: 4
    Hi Michel. I'm considering purchasing the CX5 and have taken it for 2 test drives. Have you noticed any delay in the transmission upshifting after you have downshifted to pass another vehicle? Also do you have any outward vision issues with the rear side windows?

thanks
    Bob
  • pppkpppk Member Posts: 5
    I bought the new CX-5 Touring last day : The car is really zoom zoom, i like it in many ways...

1. It really gives you an exceptional feel when you take the SUV on the curves. I had driven Honda CRV, CX-5 is exceptional in this factor.

The one point i have seen is when you have come to a dead stop, and then need to kick the gas pedal to accelerate to max, the car kind of waits for a split second to react, and then its all zoom zoom...

I do not have any outward vision issues thorough the rear side windows, but i manly use the Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) feature to switch lines, which i found exceptionally good to have.
  • michel_in_mtlmichel_in_mtl Member Posts: 2
    Hi Bob

The transmission upshifting or downshifting are very crisp and almost instatanious ( like the Audi DSG ) and I have not notice any delay after passing another vehicle. When I choose the CX-5 a good part of the choice was gas savings, and the transmission has been tune to do just that. I as a driver have to adjust to that reality also , since I had the Saturn Aura 2007 for a year b4 the cx-5 , the Aura was very expensive to drive in town with the price of gas here in Montreal over 5.45 /gal us or 1.45 / litre , I was diriving the Aura very gently like if I had an Egg between my foot and the gas pedal, now I drive the cx-5 normaly without the Egg lol... :) and still manage a good 35% + fuel economy

I do not have any outward vision issues thorough the rear side windows, and the is the BSM that help also.

Michel
  • jake195jake195 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '07 Mazda6 with 100K miles. Have had zero problems with it. Test drove a CX-5 Touring last week. I thought the acceleration was fine, a little underpowered perhaps, as many have noted, but fine for my needs. I am disappointed that a GT manual is not offered. I read somewhere that '14 models will be available with diesels. Mazda has them in Europe. The MazdaUK website shows diesels and manuals in all or most CX -5 trim levels. I have a commute of 70 miles per day. I am going to wait until the diesels are out. I will take an auto if I have to but would prefer a manual GT.
  • 62vette62vette Member Posts: 19
    I test drove the sport with a manual and a touring with AT over the weekend. Performance seemed fine. This is not a sports car, never will be. I did not notice a huge power difference between the 2 cars. I am debating the sport with MT (insanely cheap) or the Touring. I see some lease specials at some out of state dealers and just trying to get an idea of what is a deal. There is a silver touring with no extras on the way over to my dealer. Likely the one I will get.
  • holytoledoholytoledo Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2012
    I came out of a 2009 Nissan Murano that has a V6 with alot of HP. The CX5 took a little getting used to in the 'pep' department, but really smooth and fun to drive. You will like how stingy this vehicle is on gas. If gas keeps increasing (5 bucks?)...its going to make sense to drive cars that are more efficient like the CX5. Who wants to dive just FWD sedans though? we like our higher up SUVs without 'trunks'.

Picked up my touring AWD and on the first tank (nearly 400 miles!, when I filled it when warning light first came on) I got 28.8 MPG by my calculation! The on board monitor says 29.1. That was 70% highway and the rest stop and go highway and city driving. At 4 bucks a gallon.... a crossover AWD that gives you this is terrific. Hi-Def radio, bluetooth, blind spot monitoring, steering wheel controls are great features as well. I think Mazda hit a home run with this one. (looks, build, price point, mpg #s, handling....power not so much...well you get used to it and getting 30mpg makes up for it.