Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-5

Comments

• jlsflajlsfla Member Posts: 4
    depends on the size and weight of Kayacks. I think you could carry the bikes but not sure how much it would block rear view. the SUV certainly has alot of pep and I don't doubt it's ability to hold it's own in highway(70-80)MPG driving. Hopefully there are more new owners out there that do more sports related activities such as you than can help more...over all i think it's going to be a really good choice and competition for Toyota and Honda when people know more about it.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,543
    nice write-up. Keep posting updates please!

interesting to me, because my wife is looking at options for her next car (to replace an Odyssey too), and really liked her test drive of the CX-5.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• angitheriasangitherias Member Posts: 34
    How does Mazda's AWD systems compare to Subaru's?
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Mazda is a front-wheel-drive platform with AWD being an additional feature. Subaru has a symmetrical AWD that is built-in to the vehicle. Subaru's system is superior to Mazda's, but if you are not planning on taking the car off road or drive in deep snow, the Mazda should be just fine. If you want more robust and rugged AWD ability, Subaru is the better choice.
    I thought that might be the case, but without any "evidence" to back it up. I love the fact that with my older Legacy Outback, snow is not a concern after a snowstorm. I'm worried that if I got the cx-5 awd, it would not perform the same way.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    edited April 2012
    I'm worried that if I got the cx-5 awd, it would not perform the same way.

Truth be told, 95% of people cannot tell the difference between a full-time AWD system (like Subi or Audi) vs a FWD bias system or a RWD bias system. Only people who drive in extreme terrain or extreme conditions might see a difference.

If you are a normal commuter who sometimes gets stuck in a snow storm, you won't feel a difference. I have owned Subaru's and other FWD bias AWD systems, and I never noticed a difference. If anything, the tires on the car have a bigger influence than the AWD system.

Mazda uses their Active Torque-Split AWD system, which is FWD bias. The system assess wheel spin several times every millisecond and reacts before you even know what is going on. The AWD system does work extremely well in snow. I would not be worried if I were you. If anything, the Sport and Touring models will probably be better in snow because they have 17" wheels as opposed to the 19" on the Grand Touring.

If you still have concerns, check out this video. Can you tell that it is FWD bias? I sure can't, and it has the 19's on it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_br1csmmTGI
    Thanks for the link, Ive been looking for some like these with little success.
  • sj1955sj1955 Member Posts: 1
    jlsfla....I am currently looking to purchase the CX5 also and been doing alot of research about towing and roof rack. I have found the roof rack weight limit to be 100 lbs on all CX5....if you have the ability to tow your kayaks the towing capability is like 3500 lbs. I want to have the ability to do both since I often take off for camping/kayaking trips....maybe I will be able to get all my gear inside and just the kayaks on the roof....that would be great. How are you liking your CX5...I'm going from a Jeep Wrangler to the CX5 because of gas prices.
  • 62vette62vette Member Posts: 19
    I was at the dealer on Monday and there was a cx-5 with a roof rack. The sales guy told me 250 lbs on the rack. Probably BS. I was also quoted a lease 3400 more over the life of a lease than an advertised lease I saw at a different dealer but out of state. Oh well.
  • certpharmt15certpharmt15 Member Posts: 40
    What is the price everyone is paying for the CX5's?

Dealers in So Cal are quoting $500 off MSRP.
    My local guy has grand tourings at 2000 over MSRP. Stated the wheel manufacturer is so far behind they won't get many more GT's for a while so they need at least $1000 over MSRP because they want one on the lot.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Supply and demand sucks when you're buying something that is in demand. MSRP does mean "suggested retail price". Dealers can charge more or less based on their market conditions. I wouldn't buy the dealers story about wheels or tires though. If there is any fluke in the supply line it is quickly fixed with alternate suppliers. Only if there is some kind of major hiccup in worldwide raw materials availability should there be a prolonged drought due to tires or wheels IMO.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    http://fitzmall.com/fitzway/carfind/resultsa.asp

No haggle dealer above with bunches of them for $1,800 under msrp. There are deals out there. They even suggest you can get a lower price when they say "lowest we can advertise call for lowest price".

Local guy is out of touch. Buy elsewhere.
    Funny thing is, the one thing I DON'T want on the GT is the gigantic wheels! I actually thought about (if we decide to get one) to try and have the dealer swap them out, and in trade get some other accessory like roof rails.

He had the model I wanted, still in plastic from shipping and quoted me 3400 more on a lease than I saw online. I live in California, the ad was in New Jersey, where do these differences come from.
  • certpharmt15certpharmt15 Member Posts: 40
    It's pretty bad out here in SoCal right now. No dealership is selling below MSRP. Not sure how long this will last. :mad:
  • slj333slj333 Member Posts: 4
    I am considering a new CX-5 and there are a lot things I like about it. Like many others have already shared, I really wish they were offering AWD and a Manual Transmission. Since they are making me choose, I will have to go with the Manual sport version.
    I live in Minnesota where salt is used on the roads in the winter. I have seen Mazdas that are only 4-5 years old have corrosion issues here. I am wondering if Mazda has figured out this problem?
    The wheels are the culprit for the lack of GT inventory, plus I think Mazda under estimated the demand for the GT's in the first place. Honda has the exact opposite problem for CR-V's, the LX and EX are selling better than the EX-L's. Dealers want more of the lower trims and are loaded with EX-L's.

We are doing full MSRP too, no ADM. I have no GT's left and I won't have any until July. I have a load of Touring models on the way. Mazda converted many of my GT orders to Touring's with technology package and moon & bose.

I have 3 CX-5s in inventory (Sport 6-speed mtx, 2 Touring's) and only 2 due here before June that are not sold.

I did actually buy one myself :shades: It's actually for my wife. It should be here second week of June. We got a Touring AWD model with moon & bose plus the tech package in black mica and black cloth. It's time to replace our 05 Mazda6 5-door. My wife wants AWD again.
    Guess I have to stand corrected then. With all the suppliers out there eager for business I find it a little disconcerting that a manufacturer that is in desperate need would lose sales of high profit models to other makes just for the lack of some wheels.

Congrats on your new purchase. I thought you were looking at a red GT model originally.
    not that anyone listens to me, but they should make a bunch of GTs with a delete option for the wheels (basically ship them with the T 17" wheels).

when I looked, the GT had certain options I wanted (seats mostly, not sure what else now!), and the big wheels would have been the necessary evil to take to get that. I actually thought of trying to have the dealer swap them onto a T, and give me a credit of some kind. So a GT with the T wheels, for less, would be perfect for me!

My wife does not like leather so the GT was out. My in-laws wanted a GT in Zeal Red with tech, but now they prefer white.

I find it really strange too that Mazda has not found a way to get the wheels. That's why it is my personal opinion they goofed on the estimated demand. They did say GT production will be ramped up, but we won't see that inventory until July/August.
  • papabluepapablue Member Posts: 2
    I live in SoCal and have a friend who works for Mazda, who gave me a PIN for an S-Plan purchase of a specific Touring trim model with the Moonroof/Bose and Tech packages that was right at Dealer Invoice. Big deal. Dealers don't have to honor the S-Plan price. I did manage to talk him down to $200 below MSRP, but was kind of bummed about the whole experience.
    Dealers don't have to honor the S-Plan price.

I didn't know that. I don't have access to S-Plan but I always thought they honored it. I guess when they have a really hot seller they have the choice if what you say is correct.

I don't have a problem with them demanding MSRP for a hot seller. My problem is when they do that while at the same time low ball you on your trade-in. Of course we, on the other hand, expect thousands off MSRP and high dollar for our trade-ins. Both sides are trying to get all they can. Just have to play the game as awful as the experience is sometimes.
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    Dealers in the DFW area are honoring the S-Plan. It's about $1,400 off MSRP for the Touring FWD with Tech and Bose packages.
  • papabluepapablue Member Posts: 2
    SoCal might be a different ball game than Dallas/Fort Worth as far as demand goes for this vehicle. I got the $26,066 Dealer Invoice for the Touring with the M/B and Tech packages, but was also told when I got the corresponding PIN that dealers don't have to honor it. Sounds like it all depends on the locale.
    Dealers do not have to participate in the S-Plan program, but are encouraged to do so. We would take S-Plan is a CX-5 customer wanted to use it.
  • enginemedic21enginemedic21 Member Posts: 4
    Test drove multiple times but found it as fun to drive as a Nissan Versa. Quarter mile times are the slowest in its class. Back up camera is nice but not as nice as the CRV's. CRV offer 3 different camera angles when backing up(wide view,normal, and straight down which is extremely useful when hooking up a trailer). CRV ended up being roomier and more comfortable, on top of that it's a Honda so I'm expecting to keep it until they come out with hover cars in the near future lol.
    I don't think you can get the CRV in a manual transmission though. That plus the high compression/high mpg engine set the CX-5 apart in my opinion.
    CRV is AT only ( a 5 speed)

CX-5 with the auto tranny bumps the high mpg numbers down from 35 mpg highway to 32 mpg highway which I am achieving now with my CRV(29mpg combined mixed driving on my 2nd tank of gas). Higher compression engines usually require the use of high octane fuel to harness full potential of engine. Also, Who would want to drive a manual transmission vehicle with a 155 hp 4 cylinder with a base weight of 3300 lbs? That sounds exciting(not).
    I realize that the only reason that you are commenting in this thread is to tout your CR-V and put down the CX-5. That's fine but if you wish to discuss with an open mind please use verifiable numbers. The city mpg of the CX-5 is substantially better than the CR-V which is a direct result of smaller engine, less hp and less torque. Nobody said there isn't a small trade off. BTW, the FWD, manual version weighs closer to 3100 lbs not the 3300lbs you mention.

If you are looking for "exciting" I would not be looking at a small CUV like the CX-5 or the CR-V. If you call your CR-V exciting you really need to get out more.

The CX-5 does not need premium fuel as, even though it is high compression, it is designed to do it on regular fuel. Things change and engineering finds ways to overcome some old ways of doing things.

I've read on some CX-5 specific forums that many people are averaging over 32mpg with AWD versions. Again, not verifiable as it is just people commenting like yourself stating you average 29mpg. I don't doubt what you're saying, I'm just saying it's not verifiable. People that drive conservatively tend to get better mpg so I assume that is the case when people exceed the EPA numbers. I do it regularly as well.

I don't own a CX-5 so I can comment somewhat unbiased except for the fact that one of my three vehilces is a Mazda6. I have driven the CX-5 and the CR-V and can say there is absolutely no comparison in the way the two vehicles handle with the CX-5 handling a whole lot better in cornering and even in straight ahead travel comfort and road noise.

The CX-5 has nearly the same hp/lb and tq/lb ratio as my Mazda6 2.3L. I don't find the Mazda6 to be lacking power so I fail to see how the CX-5 would be that bad in that regard. Is it as fast as most others? No, it's about a half second slower 0-60 than most other small comparable CUVs. But it gets much better mpg than the others. In life there are compromises. You compromised some mpg and fun handling for a little faster vehicle. That's fine....enjoy it.
    Well, not necessarily. I'm posting in this forum specifically because a month of so ago when I myself was trying to research for the best possible CUV option I wanted to hear real world advantages and disadvantages of all models regardless of what 'forum' I was in. I'm simply providing input in case another fellow comes along and is trying to gain input from someone else who has driven both vehicles and why he came to the conclusion he owns one instead of the other. I did like the CX5 and i'm not bashing it. However I do feel there is a lot of 'hype' over a vehicle that's average at best esp for it's price range($27k for a touring w sunroof). A lot of EPA estimates on fuel efficiency are also hyped. Take into account the Equinox/Terrain dilemma. Google terrain bad fuel or equinox bad fuel efficiency and you will in fact find hoards of forums and posts regarding the poor fuel efficiency of both vehicles.

Anyways I'm simply here to provide another end of the spectrum which is why this is called 'townhall' talk. As for the base weight, my apologies as you are correct about the closer to 3100 lbs.....

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-mazda-cx-5-sport-manual-test-review

It's just weird a company touting 'zoom-zoom' producing a CUV vehicle that has a 0-60 time of 9.2 seconds. Do your research, buy what you like. I did.
  • midocmidoc Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the different point of view.

But I thought 'zoom-zoom' was more of a driving experience than speed.

By the way, how much did you pay for your CR-V on what trim?

I am almost sold to CX-5 but I am still open minded for CR-V.

The outer design of the CR-V is the only thing thats keeping me from buying it.

I love the CX-5 design.
  • goguinnessgoguinness Member Posts: 4
    I test drove a CX-5 a couple of days ago, and was very impressed. As far as power goes, from 1982 to 1985 I drove a 52 hp Jetta, from 1985 to 1990 I drove a 68 hp Jetta. With both cars I was able to beat most people to the top of an entrance ramp, simply because most people are scared of that right pedal. I believe that hp is over rated. When I got in my 2009 Accord LX-P to drive home after the test drive I drove the test route, and was amazed at how noisy my Accord was. The CX-5 was very quiet. I believe when my current lease expires in a few months a CX-r will be my next car.
    Depending on who evaluated the car, you will get different results. I believe there is a couple reviews out there that had the CX-5 faster than the CR-V. Not that anyone buys a car in this class for 0-60 or 1/4 mile times.

The CR-V and CX-5 are built to do similar tasks in a different way. Mazda has chosen the sport and fun way, while the CR-V is more about practicality. They are similar sizes, are as quick as each other and are similar in price. It really depends on what you value, but to make a point to say it is slow and that was a deciding factor is foolish if you buy a CR-V instead because it is not any faster. Basing that decision on utility or space or being a Honda loyalist are more valid reasons.
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    edited May 2012
    I drove the CX-5 and CR-V back to back, and while they both have their positive attributes, the CX-5 was a much more enjoyable driving experience for me. The CR-V felt heavier and wallowed/leaned much more than the CX-5 in turns. As for power, there wasn't really any discernible difference in my experience, but I'm a moderate driver, And the CX-5 felt much lighter on it's feet with better steering feel. I think that's what "zoom-zoom" is all about, not simply horsepower.

I also wanted satellite radio, which you can only get in the CRV if you order leather seats. Huh?

My teenage son went with me on the drives and his comment seemed apt: "They're both nice, but the CR-V is probably what mom would buy". And mom isn't into "fun to drive". To each his own.
    Hey people I came across this article about fuel economy on the Skyactiv Mazda's. Looks promising!

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1076193_2013-mazda-cx-5-2012-mazda3-real-wor- ld-gas-mileage-boost-from-skyactiv-engine
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    A CR-V is basically known as a "chick/mom" car anyway. Based on my driving experiences most CR-Vs I pass are driven by women. Like you say, to each "her" own.....

BTW, I driven both and agree, the CX-5 is def more fun to drive than a CR-V.... ;)
  • goguinnessgoguinness Member Posts: 4
    I also drove both recently. One thing I really disliked about the CR-V was the necessity of spending $4,000 more for a power driver's seat, and the fact that it had one of those parking brake pedals rather than an emergency brake handle in the console.
  • tfm_ivtfm_iv Member Posts: 5
    Real world mileage varied between 29.2 and 31.3 mpg per tankful in Maryland, including driving in Baltimore and DC (highway, country roads and traffic jam) and trips to NC and PA. Handling with GT and AWD is very good on winding country roads, wet or dry. Only negatives, neither the seats nor the sound system can compare with my 2003 Mazda 6. Oh, and one other. Some drive through car washes do not like the rear hatch wiper blade, so beware.

Acceleration from standing stop or slow on ramp is not a problem. Manual shift mode works well, and gives you the feeling of standard for spirited driving on curvy roads. Blind spot warning light on side mirrors (and audible warning if blinker goes on with traffic there) is a plus, although I have gotten false positives on winding roads.

In response to those considering the Honda, my also-rans included Subaru Outback, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Toyota Venza. The Mazda was more nimble than any of those, with sufficient utility and cargo capacity for most trips.

Would be happy to answer any questions based on my ownership experience.
    tfm_iv-

Pleased to hear your report. 8,000 miles already? You must drive a lot!!

My CX-5 is currently at the port in NJ and I should see it next week. My wife and I got the Touring AWD with tech & moon/bose. She will be the primary driver and does not prefer leather seats which is why we opted not to get the GT.

We are also replacing the 2005 Mazda6 we have enjoyed for the last 7 years. The leather has held up perfectly , although I thought the Bose sound could have been better. I like the audio interface in the CX-5 much better and I have found the sound quality to be better than that of the 6 as well.

In any event, glad to hear you are getting great fuel economy. I have been waiting to hear real-world results. I know the Skyactiv Mazda3's have been excellent, so I figured the CX-5 would hold it's own as well.

Keep us posted as to your ownership experience. Thanks!
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    What is your impression of the interior quality of the Cx-5?
  • gooner_bnagooner_bna Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a new car after my Nissan dealership told me that I need a new tranny for my 05 Nissan Maxima (with 90k miles). I am really ticked off at Nissan right now after corporate showed me 2 middle fingers when I complained.

Anyways, I test drove the CX-5 today and really liked it. I am seriously considering getting it. This will be my first Mazda. How does the Mazda reliability hold up against the Hondas and Toyotas? I would like to keep this car for a while.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    It's just weird a company touting 'zoom-zoom' producing a CUV vehicle that has a 0-60 time of 9.2 seconds.

It's not all about power. I drive an '05 Acura TL, and we also have an '07 Mazda 5. The Acura has 250 hp and the Mazda has 150 hp. Guess what? The Mazda is WAY more fun to drive - it has tighter steering, much smaller turning circle, much better steering feedback. The TL is as reliable as they come and is quiet and comfortable on the road - a great cruiser. But the Mazda is just fun.

Unfortunately Honda used to have fun, good handling cars but those days have been mostly gone for some time now.
  • mrfusionrcmrfusionrc Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    I can only speak for my experience, and mazda has been good to me. I bought a new 1993 Escort GT which was Ford's rebadged Mazda Protege with the mazda 1.8L and I put 230,000 miles on it and never had any issues at all. Can't kill those old GTs... I tried though lol. That's part of the reason I chose a mazda for my current work vehicle.

Right now I'm looking to replace my 2006 Mazda5 that has 208,000 and still runs fantastic, although these have a history of eating tires and rattling suspension bushings.... mine included. But other than the tire issues, it's been a great car. It has never been in the shop except when I brought it in to have the suspension noise checked out before the 36k warranty was up.

Nothing else has gone wrong, all I've done is change oil and tires, and one round of brake pads and shocks.... fronts at 160k and rear at 200k. Front end has some rattles again, but the engine still runs like new and I'm still driving it 150 miles a day and get 26-27mpg every tank. Kinda hate to part with the car, but 30-35mpg in a CX-5 would be nice also. :)
  • sporty10sporty10 Member Posts: 6
    My wife recently got a CX5 GT FWD & we have just completed a 1000 mile round trip in Florida. A few points of interest:
    Fuel consumption on the trip was 28 mpg at ave. speed of 75mph, 3 adults, 90% highway driving.
    Pros: Highway ride is fine. Noise levels moderate. Performance ok at speed. Satellite radio. Blind spot monitoring. Fuel economy very good.
    Cons: Transmission is very sensitive to any increase in gas pedal. It will drop too many gears if pedal is pushed a little to hard causing engine to roar with little increase in speed. Very annoying & can be frightening. This happened on our test drive as well so it's probably across the range & requires some software upgrade from Mazda down the road.
    Hood flutters disconcertingly at speed. I had to stop to check it was latched close.
    Drivers seat (leather in GT) is to too short & also became very uncomfortable after 3 hours of driving. To be fair I'm a big guy 6.2, 210 lbs.
    No power trunk (not even as an option???)
    Transmission display does not show gear you are in (just a "D")
    Overall my wife loves her CX5. It is nippy, nimble & economical.
    Thank you for sharing. I have test driven the Automatic as well as the manual. I agree that there is too much shifting with the automatic probably due to the low torque numbers on this engine. It is a sweet little engine though at high revs.
    edited June 2012
    Transmission display does not show gear you are in (just a "D")

I believe when you switch to manual mode, it will tell you what gear you are in. This is standard practice with all the late model Mazda's.

Transmission is very sensitive to any increase in gas pedal. It will drop too many gears if pedal is pushed a little to hard causing engine to roar with little increase in speed.

It is by design and let me explain why. First, the transmission is designed to achieve maximum economy, so at a cruising speed, you will see little to no change and the transmission is a little quick to up-shift to a higher gear, as long as you are not on an incline. Second, why the transmission will jump gears is because it is designed to rev-match down shifts. This is what a dual-clutch does. It monitors vehicle angle and speed and it will chose the best gear to match your input on the accelerator. If you lightly press it, it down shifts one gear. If you floor the pedal, it will down shift several. It's all by design. Is it a little weird if you are not used to it? Absolutely. I found it strange myself too. Once you get used to driving the car, you know why it does what it does.
  • new_leasernew_leaser Member Posts: 4
    I'm now in to second month of leasing a Touring AWD.

Even with the so called under-rated engine, I found the car to be plenty sufficient in acceleration so far (I haven't raced anyone).

What I love most about this vehicle is that it drives like a car and not a SUV. I don't feel the vehicle "roll" side ways during sharp and sudden maneuvers (which I had to do couple of days ago on the freeway when a person changed the lane right in to mine).

The car seem solid in every aspect (only more time can tell), and I don't have the hood flutter issue. No squeaks or rattles to date.

Love the bluetooth connectivity to my Iphone both for hone function and music.

Plenty of room for four adults and a car seat (all less than 6' tall).

There is one thing I absolute dislike about this car....no remote trunk release (from driver seat or from your keys). You can only 'unlock' for someone in front of the trunk to open. This drives me nuts! :)

Otherwise, fantastic vehicle so far.
    Can't you just hit the unlock button on your remote fob twice to unlock all the doors including the rear "trunk" door?