Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-5

Comments

• tfm_ivtfm_iv Member Posts: 5
    It is a notch below my Mazda 6 in terms of the seats. They did not splurge anywhere in an effort to keep costs down. That being said, it was comparable to competitors, and slightly better than the other cars I looked at.
    Maybe I'm just used to it, but I like the steering wheel controls on my 2003 Mazda 6 better, and my CDs (especially jazz and classical) sound much better than in the CX-5. When the signal is good, the HD radio in the CX-5 rocks. I find that it often switches back and forth between HD and normal, which may be due to the local radio stations more than the car.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Yes, that is what has to be done. I don't see an issue with it since you need to physically lift the hatch open anyway. The button is right in the hatch handle.
    I have to agree that there could be some more legroom for the driver.

I like to put it in manual mode when driving in undulating and/or curvy terrain, both for the greater control over gear selection, and for the increased fun factor. I have experienced what you described with mashing the pedal in full auto mode, where the RPMs go up without matching acceleration.
    I find the Bose sound system far superior to the one in my Mazda6, by which I just traded for the CX-5. I did like the audio controls on the steering wheel better in the 6, but that could be because I was used to them. I also agree with you about the HD radio.
    I had better luck with tires on my 2003 Mazda 6 (almost 260K miles) when I switched to Yokohamas, and later Kumho's.
  • jeisensc1jeisensc1 Member Posts: 59
    I have a CX-5 AWD GT with the Tech Package, so if I may:

I believe when you switch to manual mode, it will tell you what gear you are in. This is standard practice with all the late model Mazda's.

This is correct. I've caught mine in 6th gear doing 35 MPH on a flat city road.

It is by design and let me explain why. First, the transmission is designed to achieve maximum economy, so at a cruising speed, you will see little to no change and the transmission is a little quick to up-shift to a higher gear, as long as you are not on an incline.

This transmission has (my perception) a 2-3 second lag from when the clutch disengages to when it reengages. If you are using cruise control and driving up hill, you will lose speed by the time it downshifts (typically 2+ gears in my experience over 2,000 miles).

If you floor the pedal, it will down shift several. It's all by design. Is it a little weird if you are not used to it? Absolutely. I found it strange myself too. Once you get used to driving the car, you know why it does what it does.

I've had it downshift 3 or more gears when goosing the gas, and again it takes 2-3 seconds before the transmission engages again. There's nothing normal about it. I find this to be the choppiest automatic transmission I've ever driven (with automatic transmissions, I've owned 2 Accords, an Elanta, had a 2010 Mazda3 prior to the CX-5, and I spent over 100 days driving rental cars last year).

I get that this transmission is designed to aggressively downshift to maximize fuel economy, but in my opinion there are many situations (e.g. highway passing, CC doing uphill) where the clutch lag makes this car UNSAFE to drive.

The manual mode allows you to control what gear it's in, but the clutch seems to pop as soon as you shift up or down. There's no smooth "letting the clutch out" when you downshift, it immediately over-revs. The downshift in manual has the same effect, it's like slamming the clutch in, shifting, and immediately letting it out without allowing the engine to equalize.

The CX-5 is really an incredible vehicle, which is rendered unfun and unsafe by its Skyactive automatic transmission.
    edited June 2012
    The CX-5 is really an incredible vehicle, which is rendered unfun and unsafe by its Skyactive automatic transmission.

Allow me, if I may for I own one too....

Mine has done no such thing, nor has any other owner or professional review notice such a thing either. The Skyactiv-Drive transmission has gotten nothing but rave reviews since it's debut several months ago.

What I do notice is multiple down shifts under "pedal to the metal" situations, which is normal. It does like to stay in a higher gear for economy reasons, again by design.

If your transmission is really taking 2-3 seconds to shift, you really should bring it to your dealer to have looked at. There might be a defect.
  • barneyrubblebarneyrubble Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2012
    Read all of the foregoing remarks since I am interested in the CX5. Sat in one quite a while ago, but no test drive yet. Test drove the CRV just the other day. Nice power and felt comfortable, clean and roomy. According to the specs the gas mileage is supposed to satisfy my expectations. I really liked the rear view camera since backing up close is a real hassle for me. Rear camera does not come in base model in the CX5, which is a bummer for me. You have to step up to the GS version. Steering wheel audio controls and Bluetooth are requirements for me. And, both would have them.

...... I am wondering if anyone noticed something awkward about the CRV though. When you lift the back tail gate it is really high up and very hard for a short person TO EVEN REACH IT TO PULL IT DOWN. I mentioned this negative to my salesperson and he said: " my mother uses a rope to pull her's down. " And, this is supposed to be a mom's car? I like the vehicle and it is still in contention so don't get me wrong. But, who thought or didn't think about this predicament for some?
  • pjo59pjo59 Member Posts: 1
    I wonder if there are any issues with your particular vehicle. I own a CX-5 GT and have not experienced any of these issues and have not seen these issues described in other forums. My transmission seems incredibly smooth. Hope you can get it fixed. :)
  • fastgstfastgst Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2012
    Does anyone know if they will do a custom order of Sport model in white? My sales guy claimed he had seen one. The mazda website and so far dealer inventory has shown it really is limited to 3 colors
    I am interested to get the base model which doesn't have the lane changing warning.
    I couldn't really tell if there is a driver side blind spot due to the huge price sticker, but I could see the passenger side just fine.
  • carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    Is the blind spot warning available now?
  • johnptjohnpt Member Posts: 7
    I'm very interested in buying a CX-5 AWD AT6 Touring model, but it looks like I'm going to have to wait awhile for my dealer to find one without a black interior (wanting Blue/Sand color scheme as the best of the few available color options). Anyway, I plan to use the vehicle to spend most of lits life tooling around the city (so I'm looking forward to the superior gas mileage compared to my current guzzler), but also twice a year to drive between Minnesota and Texas while hauling a small trailer of the "stuff" we can't seem to live without for 4-8 months at a time. I should mention that we also have a 100-lb Labrador making the trip with us, so that leaves little trunk space, hence the need to pull a small trailer if we plan to carry anything more than myself, my spouse, the dog, and a suitcase or two.

The dealer only offers a Class 1 hitch option (dealer-installed), but I am hoping for something bigger like a Class 2 or Class 3 hitch. He says he can send me to an afternmarket shop to get that added. Do any of you have experience with pulling a ton or so of trailer behind your CX-5? I've been doing this with a year-2000 Lexus RX-300 with V6 and AT, which has been "beefy enough" but certainly not overly high-powered for the task. I'm tired of the 18 MPG city and 15 MPG highway-while-pulling-trailer fuel consumption, plus it's getting a bit long in the tooth. I really want the higher mileage of the CX-5 as long as I'm not going to be putting my safety in jeopardy by pulling the trailer twice a year x 1200 miles... I'm also interested in knowing what is a reasonable expectation for an added roof rack. Not planning to load luggage on top while also pulling a trailer, the roof rack would be for "other" unrelated functions...

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice I can glean from all of you who've taken the plunge before me. :)
  • typeteetypetee Member Posts: 1
    I am in similar situation and have related question. I've always driven manual transmissions but the CX5 trim level is very sparse with the manual, plus I've driven the auto and found it pretty nice, in particular the manual mode. However I wonder about long-term reliability because I sometimes carry a fair amount of weight long distances at high speed, plus interested in towing. I wonder if that fancy auto trans can handle it? With a manual I feel much more in control of how hard I push it and can baby the clutch as needed; my clutches tend to last forever.

Also I wonder a bit about long-term reliability of that 13:1 compression engine especially if it has to work hard.

One thing to which I can testify: pulling a heavy trailer and/or stuff on the roof, you will get reduced mileage no matter what. It simply takes more energy. My current vehicle is a 98 Passat wagon, 4cyl 150hp turbo which gets typically 30mpg highway, but on a recent drive to Texas with a full load and a box on the roof at 75-80 mph through strong winds I got about 22.

Interested in hearing others' experiences with low-powered cars, auto transmissions, and loading them down.
    If your transmission is really taking 2-3 seconds to shift, you really should bring it to your dealer to have looked at. There might be a defect.

It was in for service on 6/7. The service tech drove it and said it was fine. The service manager drove it, said it was driving as designed, and called me. I reviewed my issues with him, he downloaded whatever configuration information is stored in the car, compared to the baseline (identical), and sent it to his regional service director. He test drove another CX-5 (AWD but not GT iirc), and said it shifts identically to mine.

I wrote up a list of reproducible, unsafe scenarios I found myself in during a 1,000 mile road trip. The regional service director is coming down on Thursday to check it out, I'm dropping it off on Wednesday (I'll be out of town on business).

If I didn't say in the original post, I'm comparing to (among other cars I've driven) the 2010 Mazda3 GT that I drove for three years before trading for the CX-5. In the mean time, I've been driving it in manual mode.
    My CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech has the blind spot warning on it. I didn't even realize until several days after I got the car. It's nice.
    I'm very interested in buying a CX-5 AWD AT6 Touring model, but it looks like I'm going to have to wait awhile for my dealer to find one without a black interior (wanting Blue/Sand color scheme as the best of the few available color options). Anyway, I plan to use the vehicle to spend most of lits life tooling around the city (so I'm looking forward to the superior gas mileage compared to my current guzzler), but also twice a year to drive between Minnesota and Texas while hauling a small trailer of the "stuff" we can't seem to live without for 4-8 months at a time. I should mention that we also have a 100-lb Labrador making the trip with us, so that leaves little trunk space, hence the need to pull a small trailer if we plan to carry anything more than myself, my spouse, the dog, and a suitcase or two.

Once you get your hitch question answered (no idea here), I'd recommend your dealer ordering the car you want, and just wait for it. I went to the dealership the day the CX-5 arrived to test drive it: they had 2 (a GT that didn't have a stock number yet, and a non-GT that did). I would have bought the GT on the lot, but it wasn't PDI'ed and no stock number so they couldn't sell it. I asked the salesperson to follow up the next day, he didn't, it was gone by the time I checked back a few days earlier. When I turned in my 2010 Mazda3 lease about 7 weeks later, they were able to grab the config/color I wanted just as it had been built for their allocation, and when it arrived at the port in Tacoma they put the PIO's (class 1 hitch, remote start) on before it landed. It was like waiting for the exact car you want, except about half the time (4-5 weeks).

There is still short supply (though getting better), but my recommendation is to have the dealer order it for you if that's what you want. I was looking for the same interior when the 2010 Mazda3 landed in April 2009, I didn't have time to wait to order it, so I ended up taking what I could get.
  • lars21lars21 Member Posts: 2
    I sold a jeep liberty that would tow anything you could hook it to and got the cx-5 gt awd with tech package in white/sand. Love the vehicle, but I would hesitate to tow much with it. The drive train seems awfully nervous.
  • lars21lars21 Member Posts: 2
    I paid 700 less than msrp for gt awd with tech package. Hard to find the white/sand model. My wife loves the car and it is a hoot to drive, though a little under powered compared to my honda accord ex coupe six cylinder. great grocery getter and commuter, and the handling and breaking are sooo fun, I scare the heck out of my wife.
  • midocmidoc Member Posts: 5
    I just got 27.1K OTD in Michigan for AWD base model

I considering the 1.5K tax here I think I got at least $600 off MSRP
  • autotimerautotimer Member Posts: 5
    First, the CX-5 Owners Manual states fuel is to be 87 octane or above. Which means it is one of the few engines that can run on either gas. Next, I have been using premium gas in my CX-5 for the last two months and it has slighty better performance characterisics. Also, the acceleration is less hesitant when the engine is cold. Next, when the car runs under more load (like more people in the car) the low frequency engine noise is reduced (in my estimate by 60%). Since I drive low miles and premium gas is not costing me more than $5 / month then premiunm gas will stay in the tank.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    There is a Mazda specific forum on another website and this has been discussed and experimented with by several CX-5 owners. The consensus is just the opposite of what you've found as far as better performance. In fact a couple of people have reported no extra power and lower MPG using premium. I just thought with the high compression that a higher octane may bring a little more oomph but the engine is engineered to us 87 octane so I jsut don't know. From what you experienced it sounds promising but sometimes the mind can play tricks on us when we expect a certain result. Kind of like the placebo affect.
  • smasheksmashek Member Posts: 2
    Just test drove a cx-5 over the weekend loved it and just need to decide on it or an Impreza. Although not planning to tow much with it, want to install a hitch. Not wasting the time or money on a class I hitch since all of my accessories are set up for a 2" square tube hitch. I plan on using it for a bike carrier and maybe a light utility trailer. I do not plan on pulling camper or anything very heavy.

Started looking and found a Hidden Hitch Brand Part Number: 87623 Class Rating: CLASS III/IV Weight Carrying: 525/3,500 lbs. (WC) Box Size: 2" x 2" Uses all existing holes No Drilling required. GP Hitch crosstube concealed behind bumper. If you do it yourself it says the exhaust must be temporarily lowered for installation.

I have used that brand before and think I will just go that route if I end up buying the CX-5 in a month or two.
    Thanks for you response but read carefully what I said about using premium fuel. It says nothing about making the car accelerate any faster or giving better gas mileage. The acceleration and mileage are the same. The cold engine within the first few minutes does have a very slight hesitation from the stop on regular fuel. This is gone on premium fuel. I noted the same hesitation on a new Mazda 3 when test driving it. This hesitation is not evident after a few minutes. A similar thought, in older vehicles this used to be related to retarded timing issues for better emission control. Also, the noise reduction on premium fuel is very obvious to me since I am very sensitive to low frequency sound. The noise reduction is not related to any known performance characteristics like accelerating faster. I would be very interested to know at what other sites that have discussed the use of premium fuel in the CX-5 since I have looked numerous times for any such evaluation and found nothing. I have found many sites generally discussing regular vs premium fuel but nothing directly related to the CX-5 and the actual use of premium fuel in it. Finally, I have owned numerous cars and often tried to improve their characteristics and if it doesn't work then to hell with it. I totally believe in continuous improvement and not in make believe / placebo effect. However, I must admit I have no calibrated equipment to verify my "impressions."
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The higher octane in premium does not mean higher energy content. It just means it won't knock as easily - it won't explode as easily. So premium allows for higher compression and more advanced timing (without exploding at the wrong time), which in turn provide more power. If the compression is not high, and the timing is not advanced then adding premium serves no purpose.

Sometimes premium does have more additives, detergents etc. This may help keep things clean, but the same additives can also be in regular gas.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited June 2012
    Next, I have been using premium gas in my CX-5 for the last two months and it has slighty better performance characterisics

Slightly misinterpreted what you said. But you did say performance but I realize now that you were just referring to a little hesitation and noise. By the way, the placebo affect is not make believe, it happens quite frequently as I'm sure you're aware of.

Here is the link to the discussion I was talking about. I found it by using Google.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123815916-Octane-Rating
    I appreciate you taking the time to send me link on which you found a discussion on premium gas use in tne CX-5. This new technology with the high compression and regular gas or in some cases (14.1 compression) with premium gas I believe goes outside the normal discussion of using regular or premium fuel. The owner's manual itself states 87 octane or above which allows for multiple octane useage. The first time I have seen this specification. Also, I believe Mazda probably knows exactly what each octane rating can bring to the table for each compression point. Probably in time this data will be presented to the public. I believe this engine might be different beast when it comes to the typical octane influence. However no matter what octane I use, I really enjoy driving this beast. Later dude.
  • fredinhbgpafredinhbgpa Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    I'm also deciding between an Impreza Sport Ltd and CX-5 Grand Touring. And both cars are selling like crazy. Which one did you buy, if you have already done so?
  • stan6201stan6201 Member Posts: 26
    I went thru the same choice back in March. I ended up with a CX-5 Touring AWD. I love it. I have 5,000 miles and so far my mpg is 29.6. It has a better ride height and is much quieter than the Impreza. It is worth the extra money.
    Does anyone know how they managed to put 13.0 compression ratio and run on 87 octane.
    I have set up fuel and timing maps on cars and 13.0 is alot of compression and likely to detonate on 87 octane. Granted they are only getting 155 HP out of this.

I would think they have to run less timing advance. I don't know too much about the skyactiv but hard to buy into it.. the engine life maybe reduced?
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    edited July 2012
    Specially designed piston heads and a more freely-flowing exhaust header.
  • johnptjohnpt Member Posts: 7
    I put down a deposit on a CX-5 touring model that is already scheduled to be built, so hopefully it will arrive a bit quicker than putting in an order for a custom-built model. It will be the AWD & AT model. The dealer has agreed to install a (non-Mazda) Class III trailer hitch, after I had a long talk with the Parts Department manager and convinced him that I understand and will fully comply with the 2000 lb towing limit of the vehicle. I want the Class III hitch (2" receiver) because I already own a bunch of accessories that fit that size hitch. I had been occasionally towing a 4x8 foot U-haul trailer but will probably buy a smaller trailer so I don't need to spend roughly $500 per year for a round trip between MN and TX and back. The trailer I'm looking at could hypothetically carry 2200 lbs, but I have no intention of ever loading it with anything close to 2000 lbs, so there should be no problems with damaging the CX-5 by overloading it. I realize that MPG will suffer with the weight and wind resistance of a trailer, but keeping the trailer small and lightly loaded (and the fact that it is mainly a twice-a-year trip) will keep the overall impact on my gasoline consumption small. Of course, acceleration will also be affected, so lots of extra care in entering/leaving interstate highways, merging and passing will all be required. But I plan to be very careful with my new baby once it arrives! :)
  • sparklandsparkland Member Posts: 120
    Here in Colorado the 87 octane will not really be beneficial due to the elevation. Purely a waste of money.
  • dougnutsdougnuts Member Posts: 26
    Direct injection is the main trick to allow the high compression, but other things help. Valve timing, knock sensors, fast acting ECUs, cooling jackets in the right spots and, apparently, a tuned header to help evacuate heat.
    I thought the engine is struggling to tow it's own body weight already :(
    I imagine mountain passes and over elevation of 4-5000 ft the vehicle might have an VERY tough time.

Get a roof rack instead?

That said, didn't know CX5 has a 2000 lb limit, the new Acura RDX has 273HP and only rated for 1500 lbs. I think it has to do more with the towing hitch being light duty and it's attachment points than the engine.
    Does anyone know how they managed to put 13.0 compression ratio and run on 87 octane.

Highly advanced DI system that injects fuel at up to 2900psi through a 6-hole spray nozzle and does it at various points in the combustion process to help cool the cylinder. Volcano-top piston to ensure a complete burn and 4-2-1 exhaust header to pull away exhaust gasses and prevent re-entry of exhaust gas.
    That said, didn't know CX5 has a 2000 lb limit, the new Acura RDX has 273HP and only rated for 1500 lbs. I think it has to do more with the towing hitch being light duty and it's attachment points than the engine.

Also has to do with the frame in which the hitch is attached too. These are all unibody frames, so tow capacity tends to be low, especially on the MDX.
  • maryb4maryb4 Member Posts: 4
    I don't know if you have purchased already but you could have the dealer add leather to a touring model. It's cheaper than a g/t and there is much more touring inventory.
    except the leather added to the rear seats added to the thickness of the 60/40 and when you try to fold them flat they sort of fight each other.

At my local dealer ship they added much to add stuff to each car like wheel locks marked up to $95, cargo cover at $240. $2000 cat skins leather, Navigation system etc. They aren't able to add the keyless entry on the "real" tech package. These are almost 100% inflated over MSRP of these accessories. No way one should be paying overinflated price. Seriously can cross shop Acura RDX once the sticker go past $33000 don't you think.
  • goguinnessgoguinness Member Posts: 4
    Guess I was lucky. My dealer added nothing to the vehicle. I have a Sky Blue Touring that replaced a leased 2009 Honda Accord LX-P. My wife and I were tired of sitting down into, and getting out of a regular height seat. We just want to slide in and out. A little low on power but I am used to that. From 1982 - 1985 I drove a 52 hp Jetta Diesel, and from 1985 to 1990 a 68 hp Jetta turbo-diesel.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Saw my 1st CX-5 in person today - same color combo as your's and it's my favorite! Will go back for a test drive this week. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of cargo space with the rear seats down. Want to be able to fit my bike in the back WITHOUT having to remove the front wheel and didn't think it was possible with the CX-5. But according to my measurements, it will fit nicely. Just have to accept that I'm gonna have to pay sticker for it..... :(
    edited July 2012
    Not sure if you can fit it without removing the bicycle front wheel, maybe you can if you want to move the front seats forward or risk marring up some pieces of the interior.
    I believe the CR-V even have slightly more cargo space, and the flip down seat they have is pretty impressive in the way the headrest folds itself with 1 touch. At least stop by and take a look. It gets almost as good gas mileage with a bit more power but the handling CX-5 is better, the CR-V has a pudding like ride, although some people call this comfortable.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    It will def fit w/o removing wheel - that's why I went to the dealer and sat in it and took measurements. Would get a cargo tray/liner to protect the interior (btw, it is not a mt bike, would not be muddy, etc). CR-V has more measured cargo space by a "tish" but some of that is vertical - not a player here. Besides, I don't like the look of the new CR-V. Have already been to the Honda dealer and it has LESS space front to rear for a bike - would be very, very tight. Plus....the CX-5 would be more fun to drive hands down..... ;) ...and get better mileage and has better color choices for me (black interior).
  • goguinnessgoguinness Member Posts: 4
    I looked at the CRV, here are the reasons I did not get one

6 speed auto in CX5 versus 5 speed

CRV has parking brake pedal instead of lever in console

Much wider single center arm rest in CX5 versus fold down narrow ones

Sun visors in CX-5 have slide out sections to lengthen them when used on the side window

If you want a power seat in the CRV, you have to get a CRV-EXL, $4,000 more.

Styling and handling of CX5
  • caliche67caliche67 Member Posts: 27
    Got my new CX-5 two weeks ago, in replacement of my 2009 Tribute GT 4WD, which was totaled in an accident in late June. By the way, I have to take my hat off to my Mazda Tribute, the truck did what it was supposed to do as far as safety and because of it, my 19-year old son walked away unscathed! What a great SUV the Tribe, gonna miss it. But on to the CX-5, great CUV thus far. I now am fortunate to say that I have one each of all three CXs and have a hard time selecting which one to drive every day, they're all so cool!

2008 CX-9 GT AWD - Liquid Platinum.
    2010 CX-7 GT AWD - Copper Red (had the 2008 CX-7 GT AWD - Black Cherry Mica before this one).
    2013 CX-5 GT AWD - Sky Blue (had the 2009 Tribute GT 4WD before this one).

Mazda makes great performing cars. Also at one time had the 2007 Mazda6 i-GT. Great car too.
    I would like to see a picture of a bicycle fit without removing the wheel
  • jxnguyjxnguy Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2013 CX-5 GT about a month ago and have noticed a slight shake in the steering. It's been to the shop twice and they say the alignment is spot on and the tires are in balance. Is anyone else having this issue?
    I have had my CX-5 for 4 months. The steering, ride, and and handling set a standard of pure enjoyment and excellence....I have experienced no shake. I would suggest that you go somewhere else like a tire supply business and have the tires rebalanced. This type of business "usually" can provide a better / correct balance. Good luck.
  • stan6201stan6201 Member Posts: 26
    I have 5,700 miles on my CX-5 with no vibration problem. Good Luck with yours.