Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Mike:

Glad you finally have your Jeep and sorry everything wasn't as it should be. A new Jeep is supposed to bring absolutely NOTHING but pure joy.

As far as your top situation, look at it as a chance to see a different color top and decide if you like it better or not. If the black looks good, then just keep it, but if you are still sure that you want dark khaki, make them replace the top. Who says the two tops have to be the same color? No one can see both tops at the same time anyway. It might even be cool to have the hard top and the soft top in different colors. Would give your Jeep a whole new look when you switch tops.

But still, it's whacky and down right tacky that both tops are not khaki, by cracky.

Sorry, devil made me do it.

Mike, you would have wanted a set of torx sockets and/or wrenches anyway. If you are going to do any mods on your Jeep, you are going to run into torx bolts everywhere. My advice on the torx sockets is to get a good quality set of individual sockets, like Craftsmen. They make cheap sets that are just torx inserts that are used with a common driver, and these have too much slop when you use them. It is SO easy to strip a torx head, so you don't want that slop that just makes it easier to strip something.

Get some pics posted! Enjoy that new Jeep!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    I've seen a bunch of Wranglers lately in a color I like. Don't get me wrong, I love my Silver Sport, but my second choice would have been this blue -- sort of a steely blue, or even an Air Force blue. They didn't offer it in 2004; I think it might have been last seen in 2003. Any one know exactly what they called this color? Just curious. Thx.

Uh, Mike, that would be "Steel Blue." :)

Tomster

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I believe it was called Gun Metal Blue. The other blue is Patriot Blue - much darker. Our WJ Grand Cherokee was Patriot Blue.

Guess I have a thing for darker cars. I complain about having to keep em clean and how much dirt shows, but I just can't pull the trigger on a light-colored car. Go figure. :)

-Paul
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I've probably bought my last black vehicle. Since I'm still stuck out here in the high hot desert, black isn't the best color at all. Perhaps if I ever manage to escape like Paul did, I won't worry about the color and just get what I like. The bright green does seem cooler than the black. And who cares about showing the dirt - after all, it's a Jeep and its supposed to be dirty!
    But not ALL my cars are Jeeps. :) My black Civic Si was a pain to keep clean. We sure went through the California dusters!

-Paul
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Congrats on your New Unlimited.......I guess i dont know what soft top changes were made but next time im at the dealer i will check it out.......
    I have on 05 built in 12/04 and have the full side windows on my soft top. I curious about the change as i have not seen it yet. I did see my 2nd Rubi Unlimited today on the road, it was silver with soft top the other beryl green soft top both had similar tops as mine. I have to take mine if for a recall that came last week and will check the lot while i wait........
    The blue that Mike was talking about is Steel Blue. There was a similar color on older TJ's called Gun Metal Blue. The GMB was more toward the grey side, while the Steel Blue was more in the direction of blue. They are both really nice looking, but I think I like the Steel Blue better.

Tomster

I have an 05 rubi unlimited with the Khaki soft top. The khaki hardtop should be the same color as the soft top so you should call if its black in appearance. Also, the security lug nuts were an option i was told but i did not go for it due to the cost and picked up a complete set for $11 at Pep Boys. My wrangler did come with the utility straps they were in the glove box along with a VHS tape and owners manual. Ask the dealer about this maybe they were never placed in the jeep.

Below is a link to a beryl green with a khaki hardtop someone posted the other day. This identical to mine with the exception i have the khaki soft top.

http://carinfo.autofi.com/cardealers/vehicle.aspx?category=1&dealerid=31&stockno=CN34135&s- - - - i=AZCarDealers
    I have had several Black vehicles. All were a pain to keep clean, however, my black GC stays dirty, its a jeep and looks good this way, LOL.......Oh i must say the Beryl Green is just as difficult to keep clean as black imo.....I think silver and earth/sand tones are best for not showing dirt from the 15 autos ive owned....lol....
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    >Uh, Mike, that would be "Steel Blue."

Guess I could have seen that coming. :blush:

-Mike
  • usmc_jeepusmc_jeep Member Posts: 24
    Tom and jefferson1964

Thanks. My 2000 Sahara came with 1 security lug nut on the spare. I feel kinda worried that my spare on my '05 is "hanging in the breeze" so to say.

The hard top I have is black. Black as coal.

I just called my sales guy. Needless to say the top color issue brought an "Oh" on his part. I'm not sure what I'll do at this point. I may keep the black hard top, but I'd like to see the color of the dark khaki one in person before I make that decision.

I'm still happy that I have a Wrangler again. These are just small issues to iron out.

Semper Fi,

Mike
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Congratulations on the purchase. My Rubi also came with dual khaki tops. I really like the Khaki hard top color. It makes the Jeep look more like a one piece vehicle. I do like the softtop color as well, but I think black in the soft top looks very good.

It is amazing what DC chooses to not include in Wranglers. The aforementioned clothes hanger, grab handles, door sill gaurds, decent floor mats...I spent more than $300 just on those small items. I still don't have a lock on the spare, but I think I'll do that soon. You've got me worrying now! *lol*

For all of you with new Wranglers, here are a few items I've found to be indispensable:
    Husky Floor Liners--I have them front, rear and in the back. You can get these through most of the Jeep catalogs.
    Rainger hand grips--definitely the best roll bar hand grips out there: Raingler Grips
    Best Top door sill gaurds--got them through Quadratec. The sills can get beat up very quickly.
  • jherron5992jherron5992 Member Posts: 8
    update: The reason I said that it was the oil pump was that the symptoms were the same, a knocking noise coming from the engine as if it weren't getting any oil. But after a second look, there was oil pressure so that couldn't be the problem.

The real problem, after taking off the valve cover, is that there are at least 4 collapsed lifters, bad news, especially since I only have 72,000 miles on it. I only hope that there isn't anything else wrong with it.

by the way, I know its been a while since I started this post, but I've been busy with college finals.
  • jpk257jpk257 Member Posts: 43
    Congrats on the jeep! Keats ran down the exact list of things I wanted to add immediately to my new jeep. I noticed that mine had a clear plastic coating along the door sill. Does yours have the same thing? I seems like this would take the place of an after market door sill guard.
    I new tires this morning and noticed the tailgate now does not want to close without a slam. It appears the wider spare is hitting a rubber bumper just below the tailgate. Has anyone else had this happen & what is the best way to fix? Does it really even matter?

Thanks -- Jeff
    Jeff:

As long as the tail gate is closing and latching, there shouldn't be a problem. If it really bothers you, you could shave some rubber off of that bumper, but you wouldn't want to go too far. That bumper keeps the spare and the spare carrier from rattling.

What tires did you get? Did you get a good trade in on your Get Stuck Anywheres?

Tom

Thanks Tom. I was worried that something could get bent...

I bought Bridgestone Revos and love them so far. They seem quieter on the highway than the GSAs. I did OK on the deal, they gave me $50 for each of the GSAs and Bridgestone is running a $75 mail-in rebate on the purchase of a set or Revos. I was hoping for more for the old tires considering they had 60 miles on them & the spare was brand new, but how much can the tire shop really get for them anyway.

I will try to post a pic of the jeep tonight.

Thanks again -- Jeff
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Greetings. I am curious about the back floor liner. How well does it fit and does it have a raised lip? Price? Thanks, John
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

on the opposite side of the parking lot is a great little stream but I could not talk her into driving in it to take these pictures, she wouldn't even let me drive into it. she thought the local police might not be lovers of jeeps like we both are.

we are planning to help with some trail building next weekend, but no luck so far in convincing her to drive.
    Jeff, you are just going to HAVE to bring that Gal and the two Jeeps down here to Turkey Bay! Explain to G/F that Jeeps develop serious psychological problems when not allowed to get off the pavement.

She has a nice looking Jeep there!

Tomster

I looked at some old posts related to instument lights, but did not seem to be what I've got. any ideas???

the light is not on that illuminates the tach, speedometer, etc. its not a problem during the daytime, but at night its a bit of a pain. it just happened this last weekend.

at first I thought it was just a fuse or something easy to fix.

but the next time I started the jeep, i used the remote starter. the dash lights were on until i put the key in turned it and stepped on the brake, then it went out.

any ideas?? wanted to hear some thoughts on this before I stop in the dealership tomorrow and they tell me its not covered by the warranty because of the remote starter .
    Do I need a fresh cookie? Should I dump the old cookie?
  • madman2madman2 Member Posts: 12
    Jeff,

My guess is a short some place.It could be easy to find or a huge pain the rump. Start checking the wires...

I placed a set of rear lamps on my Jeep and since then, once in awhile, if the left blinker is on and I push the break pedal, the blinker will stay light but not blink. I have been too lazy to fix it myself...
    And see if I can make it work. Jeff - love your girl's jeep! I can't help you with the lights on the dash - that's different than the gauge problem I had.
    Hey, it works now! If you click on the photo it opens to the full sized photo. Looks like I'll try another one and crop it so that it might not look so distorted on the smaller size.

By the way, that's what an Unlimited looks like with the top down. Here's another one.

Great feature, Edmunds!
    I like the "thumbnail' image with the message,, but its sort of squished

jeff
  • This is a very long shot...I had an '88 Chevy Beretta where the leads of a power transistor in the dashboard light circuit made intermittent contact. It depended on temperature and vibration. To save in manufacturing costs, those power transistor leads are often just pressed into the circuit without any solder. It relies on a press-tight connection of the leads through holes of a heatsink. However, given a slight amount of oxidation, temperature changes, or vibration, a capacitive condition can occur on those leads causing the dash lights to not work sometimes but work other times. For my Beretta, I went to the library and copied some circuit schematics for the dashboard light circuit, found the circuit board assembly containing the power transistor, removed the "black box", opened it up, and soldered the leads in place. Never had the problem again.

You might give any power transitors under the dashboard a gentle "twist" the next time that condition happens...though, not being familiar with Wrangler wiring, power transitors might be inside "black boxes".

I remember my days in my Beretta before fixing the problem and keeping a flashlight handy to periodically read the gauges when my dash lights went out. I wish you luck finding the problem.
    I absolutely love my jeep! I can't wait for the weekend so I can take the top off and enjoy the great weather.
    That's one nice Jeep - I love the color. I can't decide about whether I like the new windows better or not - I don't think it makes a difference one way or the other for me. I wonder if it has a practical reason - does your top support bar go where the canvas is? Mine is more of an S shape but I could see the vinyl protecting the top from rubbing against it. Mine does rub a bit when it's windy.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    "I like the "thumbnail' image with the message..........."

Works for me (on dialup) too. I can quickly download the thumbs and text, and if I want to see the full sized pic I can open it in another window at my leisure.
    Jeff:

She's a beauty! Congratulations!

Tom

The link works, so if you click on it, you can see the pic. I don't know why there is no thumbnail.

Tomster

Is it generally available yet?

-Paul
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    No, it's not generally available yet - it's being tested and will be officially launched when all the bugs get worked out. Stay tuned ...!

tidester, host
    if you want another tester.

-Paul
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thanks, Paul. I think we have enough testers for now but I'll put your name in as an available helper if the need arises.

tidester, host
    Thats great, both good looking Jeeps!!!!
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Hi, John,

Yep, it's a raised lip and has a hole in the middle where the seatbelts come through--raised lip around that also. Goes back and under the seat. Works very well. Here's a link to it:
    link title
    nice looking jeep!!! I see the strap in the side window everyone is talkin about and is probably there for extra protection from the support bar. When I use my sunrider top and drive at highway speeds it sucks in my sides of the soft top and leaves an impression of the bar in that location.
    I felt uncomfortable about leaving my spare "hanging in the breeze" and the locking lug nuts were the First thing i purchased for my jeep.

Heck check it out on the hardtop, the black might look better than the khaki, plus u can have two looks to your jeep with the dual tops, kinda cool imo.......
  • letdolphinletdolphin Member Posts: 37
    Congrats ... Looks like the Jeep I just ordered. Found out today that my Jeep has been assigned a VIN so hopefully it won't take as long as they are telling me :)
    Laura
    Just looking at your photo and can easily see the difference in length. I have an unlimited and really enjoy the ride. I think the length is fine i would like to see the wrangler just a couple inches wider with the new model. It will be interesting to see the 4 door model and all the changes made to the wrangler........
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Thanks for the info. and the link. Just what I need. John
    Laura:

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted!

Tom

Dude:

Welcome.

I checked Quadratec for ya, but they only have the handles in black or chrome, not stainless steel.

Good luck.

Tom

My duster and safari top combo... let's see if it works!

Photo is there, if you click it, but the thumbnail doesn't show... hhrmm..

-Paul
    Hey, Paul - nice photo.

Maybe they took off the thumbnail photo because it was a set pixel size, which was different than most photos. That's what made mine look so distorted. I had thought about how to make a photo match their thumbnail size without having the distortion - it looked like the length was twice the height. That would make cropping a photo of an essentially square vehicle tough. You could do it better with a low slung, long sports car, like the Ferrari I saw at the Ferrari dealership at the Wynn Resort last weekend.