Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-5

Comments

• audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Find a dealer or tire shop that has a Road Force balancer....assuming there is no hidden problem, it should do the trick.
  • brick1960brick1960 Member Posts: 2
    My next vehicle will be a CX-5 Sport with the 6 speed manual transmission. I was pretty much set on the Countryman, but after driving both I decided to save thousands of $$$ with the CX-5, and have the flexibility of installing an aftermarket in dash DVD-NAV deck. Oh yeah, I can also tow 2K.
  • wshful1wshful1 Member Posts: 3
    purchased a GT 3 weeks ago, having the same problem went back to the dealer balanced all 4 tires, still the same , the driver side mirror shakes so badly I think it might fall off. Back to the dealer again.
  • wshful1wshful1 Member Posts: 3
    you would think for $30 grand on a loaded GT they would include a compass, I found out after I purchased the car that you have to purchase it as an accessory for about $275 ,what a rip.
  • elby2elby2 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased the cx5 about 3 weeks ago. My wife drives the car. Tonight was the first time I had the opportunity to drive the car at night. I would love to know what others think of these lamps. The light cuts off abruptly on the "horizon" making it impossible to drive more than 25 or 30 mph on low beams, on dark roads. It gives me the same feeling you get when trying to drive in heavy fog.....
  • andrewp2andrewp2 Member Posts: 5
    Am replacing my beloved Mazda5 for something with 4-wheel drive for winter use (live in New England, and drive through the snow belt to visit family in the Great Lakes). Has anyone cross-shopped the Mazda CX-5 with Subarus? A new Outback and CX-5 with comparable trim and features are similarly priced (within $2000 or so). The 2012 Outback was not very much fun to drive, but its suspension has supposedly been upgraded quite a bit for 2013, which is supposed to improve handling and ride, but I doubt it will be as nice as the Mazda CX-5. On the other hand, Subaru is supposed to have the best AWD system.

How do you estimate the Mazda AWD will do in snow? And has anyone tried the 2013 Outback? Is it at least not a lot worse than the Mazda, in terms of being fun to drive?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The light cuts off abruptly on the "horizon" making it impossible to drive more than 25 or 30 mph on low beams, on dark roads.

The line cut off is due to the shutter that is installed in the beam. The shutter is what cuts down the light projected in low beam vs high beam usage. When you turn on the high beam, the shutter is lifted, and you will notice you can see everything. The CX-5 functions like this because of the bi-xenon light application.

On dark roads, just turn on your high beam, and you should be fine.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Xenon lights are garbage. Had them on my Lexus, never again! If you think they're bad on dark roads, wait till you drive at night in the rain! The narrow visible spectrum of HID/Xenon lights results in much less reflection from most objects, especially when they are darkened by water.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I respectfully disagree. Some xenon light applications are better than others but I would never say they are garbage.

Obviously, not everyone will like them, but they do offer brighter/better light than halogen's.
  • oceansuzi2oceansuzi2 Member Posts: 2
    I can't agree more about the HD radio in the CX-5 being a problem! The signal is so sporadic that I usually have to just take it off HD mode because it only holds the HD signal (which sounds amazing) for a few fleeting seconds, and then it's gone.

Well, I spoke to a service manager at my local Mazda dealership, and he says he has had other complaints about the HD radio's poor signal capacity. He says that Mazda is looking into possibly issuing a new antena for the CX-5 to accomodate for the week signal. Now wouldn't that be nice!
  • danangmedanangme Member Posts: 24
    Thought a fight was going to break out at my Mazda dealer when a customer had a fit about the cutoff on the standard halogen lights on the Mazda 3.
    Didn't get involved but both of my Mazda 3's had that cutoff and my CX-5 with the HID's have that cutoff but I don't think it's as low as the halogen were.
    I really don't have a problem with it and the HID's light up the sides of the road to better see deer and pedestrians.
    My problem is a lack of HD radio stations around here,but what your experiencing is the difference between analog and digital.Analog will fade digital just shuts off when out of range of the station.I don't know about the rest of the country but HD didn't take off around here,Northeastern PA.
  • autotimerautotimer Member Posts: 5
    I live in Seattle, WA and I have driven through out the area with no problems with HD stations for the last five months. Also, this radio has the best radio reception of the last 5 cars I have owned. I am super impressed by its station sensitivity. Good luck.
  • elby2elby2 Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate yours and others comments about the HID lamps. I had heard about this shutter, but didn't realize it was actually the shutter that moves when you turn on the high beams. I also note in one response that the halogens also have a cut-off. I haven't yet driven the cx5 with halogen lamps. I will be very curious to see what kind of light those lamps make, as we are, at this point, trying to find out what it would take to have the HID system changed out for a halogen system - but I need to drive the halogen system at night before we do that...............waiting for the days to get shorter so that the dealership is open after dark. Thanks again for your thoughts.
  • firstcar12firstcar12 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a CX5 a few weeks ago. My rear view camera stopped beeping- I didn't intentionally change any settings and I can't find anything in the manual about it. I want the beeping back! Has anyone else had the same issue?
  • oceansuzi2oceansuzi2 Member Posts: 2
    Yours beeps? I have never heard any beeping during my backup camera use in my Mazda CX5, and I've had it for 4 months!
  • stan6201stan6201 Member Posts: 26
    No beeping on mine. I wonder if it was a later release item. I got mine in March.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    no personally familiar with the mazda, but the only beeping I thought you would get is when you got really close to something? Of course that is how the pre-camera day sensoors worked, but no clue if they added that to the camera system. Maybe it is an optin to turn on/off?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• laura423laura423 Member Posts: 7
    I am wondering if anyone has had this problem. I live in the Buffalo, NY area. I somewhat purchased a CX-5 Sport just over a week ago. I say "somewhat" because the dealer is having major difficulties locating what I want....Sport model, AWD, liquid silver.(certainly not out of the ordinary!) This should be easy right?? There are currently only 9 within 250 miles however the dealers wont exchange outside of NY or PA because of "emissions law". One possible trade fell through and there is a possibility of one they are checking into. They are ordering me one in case this fails also. Unfortunately I will have to wait 3-4 months however I LOVE this vehicle and dont want to settle for any other...even though there are nice ones out there..... None excite me like the CX-5! Is their inventory scarce all over?? By the way, say I chose to upgrade to the Touring....there is ONE in silver within 250 miles. You can check inventory on the Mazda website so I know the dealer is being truthful! Frustrating yet I believe it will be worth the wait!
    You can't go by the Mazda website,some of the cars are on the way to the dealer or have already been sold.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2012
    I only saw one silver AWD one on our inventory listing within 200 miles of a Buffalo zip code.

(Buffalo really fools me when we go over there - looks like it's about 50,000 population, but there's over a million people in the metro area. You'd think they have more stock, especially AWD models).
    Agree....The Buffalo area is huge and we also only have two Mazda dealers. Thank you both for your reply!
  • robert_suvrobert_suv Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    After having driven my AWD CX-5 for over the past 1000 miles on mostly highway conditions (65mph tops) and with gentle use of the accelerator I have achieved an average of 37 mpg. I am sure with a flat steady 45-50mph I could get close to 50mpg although that hasn't happened yet. Towing a fairly heavy trailer with three kayaks and 2 passengers/luggage for about 700 miles through upstate NY I got an average of 30mpg. With its room, smooth & quiet ride and handling I couldn't be happier with my purchase!
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    edited August 2012
    You're towing a "fairly heavy" trailer with a CX-5?.... :confuse: Just how heavy is the trailer?....And getting 30 mpg? Some folks are not getting that w/o a trailer..... :sick:
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Last night I saw an edition of Motorweek on TV that provided an update on a CX-5(fwd I think but not sure) they have as a long term test. I believe they said they are averaging about 30mpg and the vehicle has 2500 miles on it. I consider posts like the one you replied to as laughable or someone has a serious math deficiency. Go to fuelly.com and you will find that the vast majority of CX-5 drivers are getting pretty close to EPA numbers on average, some slightly below and some slightly higher which is expected.
  • johnptjohnpt Member Posts: 7
    Picked up my Touring AWD AT model last Thursday. On Friday I began a trip from Apple Valley MN to Duluth to Grand Portage MN (almost to the Canadian border) and back. Have 877 miles on the car, mostly highway but significant amount of city and stop/go miles. Computer says 28.5 MPG so far. I love this vehicle! :) Haven't towed anything yet, owner's manual says to avoid towing for first 1,000 miles. Will tow a trailer from MN to TX in October, and will be well below the 2,000 lb towing limit.
  • alfredo33175alfredo33175 Member Posts: 1
    Can I add wall paper to the LCD screen via usb?.When I start my vehicle I see the Mazda logo but then it goes away and if the radio is off I just see a cross and radio off, Ihave the sport front wheel drive model,but no gps only the LCD screen and the bluetooth Pkg.
  • charlesc32charlesc32 Member Posts: 1
    Checked Edmonds for the specs on the CX-5. Noted the Tech Package and when talking to the dealer found out I must take the Bose/Moonroof package with the tech package. Your build it page does not note this requirement. Why was this very important add on omitted from your spec summary?
    Picked up my cx-5 Sport on Thursday and LOVE it....worth the month it took for them to locate one!!!!! I thought the horsepower was lower than its competitors? Regardless, this vehicle goes!!! Anyways, my sideview mirror really vibrates with wind/medium speed. I see this is an issue with Mazdas design. Should I just get used to it given its not mechanical?(not bothering me too much) or bring it up to my salesman? Is there really something out that they can put in to support it? Also my HD is working fine EXCEPT for one station. It was in HD when I got the vehicle Thursday....Saturday evening I got nothing on the station which led me to believe the station had problems and went off the air. When it came back on that night and since then it no longer comes in HD. Given everything else is fine it appears it would be a station issue yet its been over 3 days.??? On the menu of stations it still says 102.5HD. Thanks for any help!
    This has not been a problem on my Touring. Go see the dealer.
    I've read this complaint somewhere before but my touring model's mirror does not vibrate.Talk to the service manager and tell him about it,sometimes service bulletins come out to deal with manufacturing defects.
    thank you both!
  • dougnutsdougnuts Member Posts: 26
    Laura,

The mirror shaking is a known issue and I've read that Mazda is working on a fix. I also recommend going to the dealer.
  • bareronnybareronny Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Have you still got the slight shake in your Cx-5? I have had mine CX-5 for 2 months now, and I have also this problem, but not only in the steering, but in the whole car. I have checked both wheels and tires, but nothing is wrong there. It started with slight shaking in steering but after a while I noticed that it also started to shake from 97 - 112 km/h in the whole car. It’s hard to notice but it’s there. If one put a glass of water in the car, it can easily be seen. I will once more contact the dealer. :(. There are too many small issues to this car, that I almost dont like it anymore. Such as when you connect your Iphone to the AUX at the same time you have bluetooth connection on, it has some problems. And what is it with the electrical warming in the sidemirrors that only work when you heat your frontwindow etc etc...
    Just an update in case anyone is having the same issue.....I was first told by the dealer that my side view mirror vibrating is basically the way it is and I am welcome to test drive a CX-5 on the lot to see its the same. Uh no thanks and not acceptable! Told him if he or his mechanic did not get a dizzy feel looking at the mirror then apparantly they didnt see it at its worse AND that I researched it and Mazda is aware of the problem. Well lo and behold after service contacted Mazda they did tell him they're working on a fix. Dont know what the fix will be or how long I'll have to wait. Would have been nice if they would have contacted Mazda first before basically asking me to accept it as is. Perhaps because I'm female and blonde they thought I'd cave??....nope!!! As far as the radio station it appears it may be a reception issue as all my other stations that are in HD do come in HD. Other than that I still LOVE my CX-5!!!
  • johnptjohnpt Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2012
    With smallest available U-Haul trailer (4x8 foot size), drove from Apple Valley MN to San Antonio TX. Set cruise control to legal speed limits (or occasionally less if winds etc. demanded it), and averaged 21.5 MPG. Not surprising that MPG would fall while towing, and I am quite satisfied with the result, compared to the 12-15 MPG I was getting with a Lexus RX 300 pulling a trailer between MN and TX previously. Now that the trailer has been returned to U-Haul, I am lookking forward to returning to the 28+ MPG that I was getting without a trailer.

Of course, the CX-5 was not as Zoom-Zoom when hauling a trailer, but I never felt an unsafe drop in performance. Gotta love that SkyActive technology and excellent performance from the little 4 cylinder engine. Much to my own surprise, if Mazda offered a bigger 4 cylinder or a V6 engine, I would no longer be interested in it. I am so happy with the car as currently configured. My *ONLY* disappointment to date is with the navigation system. It does not work as well as the navigation provided by my Android smart phone.
  • csavitskicsavitski Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a Mazda CX5 Grand Touring In August of 2012. Recently I was hearing a seat belt clattering sound in the back cabin. I took it in to service and they said the back seat was out of allignment. They claimed they fixed it but two days later it is making the same sound. All the seat belts are secure however I still hear this clattering when I go over bumps. Any ideas?
  • campaynecampayne Member Posts: 1
    I had the same noise and you should take it to the dealer. In the CX-5 there is a horn in the back right quarter panel it is for the alarm system. I had the same noise and they told me that the horn had become loose. The fix it and no noise anymore. The sound should be coming from the right side of the vehicle rear seat cargo area. Sound like metal on metal noise.
  • csavitskicsavitski Member Posts: 2
    Thank you. Any suggestions at this point is certainly appreciated. This noise is driving me crazy. I have a appointment on Tues. I will with no doubt mention about the horn. The sound is coming from the exact area you are talking about.
  • lisa122lisa122 Member Posts: 4
    I've had my CX-5 for 5 months and since getting it, when attempting to get to highway speed, the engine sometimes revs but the car does not go faster - then I could just be coasting along and it revs and the car goes faster. 2 days ago I drove home from work with no issues, parked the car for 1 hour and went back out. I got a block away and the tire pressure light and the traction control light came on. The engine started to rev but the car would not go faster than 10 mph - I drove back around the block home and when stopping could feel vibrations in the breaks. I called Mazda service and they said to bring the car in, I did not feel safe to drive the car to them. The next morning started the car and drove it to Mazda with no problems. They checked the car and found nothing wrong, they checked the computer and found no errors which had occurred. I am not crazy and there is something wrong with the car but I would have to get it into Mazda while it is occurring for them to find the problem. Has anyone else had similar issues with their CX-5?
    In my 7400 miles of ownership I have nothing comparable to report. So far nothing but zoomzoom
    I've had my CX-5 for 5 months and have never heard it beep.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Have a smart phone or a camera/camcorder handy in the car. Next time it happens, take a video of the dash so you can show the service dept.
  • mow1mow1 Member Posts: 3
    I had a similar problem last month. I've owned my CX-5 for 4 months. When I was driving on the highway, it felt and sounded like the car downshifted on its own and then I realized I had no use of the gas pedal. I was quickly slowing down while cars were buzzing by. All the warning lights were on (transmission, tire pressure, tire traction, oil). When I finally came to safe stop off of the highway I turned the engine off, and then turned it on again. The gas pedal was working again, but the warning lights were still on. I made it home five minutes later but didn't want to drive it to the dealer on the highway. They had the emergency roadside assistance pick it up that night. The technicians didn't know what was wrong. I read on another forum someone who had a similar problem, and that the techs updated the software in the car. When I told my tech about this, they discovered that my car required an update on one part of the software, and a few other errors were cleared out. The car is working fine ever since.
    Thanks, I knew I wasn't crazy. Since the day I did take it for service and they couldn't find anything wrong, I have not felt the car do this anymore. Makes me think that they did do something but did not tell me about it. Hopefully it will not happen again.
    But I do want to let everyone knows how good the gas mileage is on this car. I live on the east coast (Staten Island) and after this hurricane gas is a rare find. I work in NJ and stopped the 1st week to fill up, I have not had to go back for gas again yet. I am hoping by the time I need it, the shortage will be over. You really do get great mileage, prior to this I had a CX-7 and was putting about $80 a week in gas, it is actually half with this car.
  • mcperrmcperr Member Posts: 74
    Any vehicle we have had with auto climate control automatically puts the fan to high when you start a very hot vehicle, or high after a brief delay when starting a very cold vehicle. Our CX-5 doesn't seem to do this and we have to manually increase the fan speed to rapidly cool down/heat up the interior.
    Is this a common experience or is ours ill?
  • kfernandeskfernandes Member Posts: 1
    I've had mine for 8 months. Everything was fine until I took in for its first service. The next day the tire presure light and buzzard came on. I pushed the tire presure button for a few seconds and the light went off. a couple of days later it did it again, this happen about five times before it stayed off. Then a month later I had what you had happen going to work, I pulled over turned the car off waited a second and started it and every thing was fine. Then yesturday coming home from Disneyland, just going down the freeway, the anti skid light, AT light and engine light all came on and it was like it wasn't in gear. I pulled over and turned it off and on, but it did the same thing, I tried going but it was doing the same thing. It took four times before we could go, but the check engine light stayed on. I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow and see if they find anything, but there looks like something wrong with the CX-5. I'm go to start a complaint with the NHTSA, this is a big safty issue.
  • mow1mow1 Member Posts: 3
    After my first oil service visit at 5,000 miles, the tire pressure light stayed on as well. It came on as I was leaving the dealership, so I turned around and took it right back. An hour later they said they felt it was fixed. They knew the tire pressure was fine from all their testings, but the light kept coming on after they reset it. They said the sensitivity of it must be set too high. It hasn't come back on since, but I do feel that the software and indicator lights are malfunctioning on the CX-5.
    I had my TPMS light come on the day after I bought my CX-5. I reset it (a few times) on the trip back to the dealer but it stayed off so I didn't take it in. No more problems until I took it in for it's first service @ 7500 miles. Two miles away from the dealership the light came on again. It came back on every two miles (resetting it each time). I took it back to the dealership and they could not explain why it was happening but they fixed it. No more problem. I am curious about the next service.
  • tester1tester1 Member Posts: 33
    Picked up CX-5 about a week ago, ~90 miles so far. When I drove the car into garage, left car and smell burning. Is this a new car normal burning smell? Anyone has similar experience?

Also the wind shield wiper fluid reserve, by looking at the tube, it seems empty. Pour in more fluid, it seems filled up. However at the end of trip, it shows low and I have not used the fluid?

Comment?