Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Chevrolet Equinox

Comments

• gmretiregmretire Member Posts: 2
    Marlea Wilson I sent an email with the info you requested, Thank You
  • goldilocks2goldilocks2 Member Posts: 3
    It sounds like you are beginning to have drive train issues that are common in the Chevrolet Equinox. If you read the 2010 Equinox forum group discussion on Edmunds.com you will find innumerable postings on engine issues all beginning with rough running engines that stall out. I have gone through two GM drive trains on my Chevrolet Equinox 2010 LT2 AWD 4-cylinder. (0-62,000 miles). Engine issues for me began at 47,000 miles (drive train replaced at 47,000 mi), and continued to 62,000 miles when I received a new engine. At the first drive train replacement, I was told I had used the "wrong" type of oil, but I used synthetic blended oil recommended in GM manual. I had the oil changed at the dealership for the second drive train. At 62,000 miles the engine began running rough again, and threatening to stall out when idling at stop signs, stop lights, etc. I received a new engine at 62,000 miles with the help of my dealership service center. Now other things are going wrong - windshield wiper transmission blew at 69,000 mi during torrential rain storm and actuator in air/heat unit needs replaced. Contact Chevrolet Customer Service for assistance. Some dealerships claim they have not had any issues with Equinox engines, where others have replaced several engines. Do not accept the vehicle back if dealership cannot find issue. It is too dangerous if the problem is not corrected.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Thank you gmretire.

Marlea Wilson
    GM Customer Service
  • stmyersstmyers Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2012 LTZ equinox with 14k miles, I can not count the times I have had to take it in for problems. This past week, my check engine light came on. Dealer said it has to do with the air filter we put in (k&n) we replaced the filter back to the orig. one and the light came on again. Called a different dealer and they said they were too busy to get my car in for at least two days... Do I just drive the car around with the check engine light on? Then, Today, I went to use my remote start and the remote start is not working. For as much as they cost, you think GM would get it right the first or second time... I'm very disappointed with GM and more so with the dealership I purchased the car from.
  • betersenbetersen Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2012 Equinox LTZ last year--wanted a brand new car with all the bells and whistles that would be reliable as I travel nearly every other weekend to see my grandchildren. It is a five hour drive from my home on the central oregon coast north to Portland, Or and then east over the mountain pass to Warm Springs, OR. Well on June 15th I was making this trip, was 20 miles out of Sandy, Or going up the pass when a tone sounded and I got the message to service my stabilatrak system, shortly after there was a symbol of a car with swerve marks and the one of a battery. About a minute later my radio went out, the whole screen went black and I pulled out of the passing lane and into the right hand lane--I'm driving 55 mph. Then all of my instrumentation went black. I got on my cell phone--thank god I had a signal--called my daughter and told her something was wrong with the car and that I was going to drive until I found a service station or some people as I was in a primarily wooded area going up the pass. However, within a mile or so the car lost all power. I turned right, thank goodness the shoulders were paved and I had the incredible luck to make a turn right in front of a small town two bay fire station with a big paved driveway. I have to tell you I was terrified by the whole thing. I waited 2 hours for a tow truck and had it taken to a Chevy dealer in Sandy, OR about 20 mies away. Luckily the car was under warranty and the dealer paid for a rental so I could continue with my weekend trip (it was Friday) and actually ended up taking the rental back home as my car was not fixed until the following Wednesday. The dealer met me at the car rental about 15 miles from home and we exchanged vehicles. The dealership said the whole thing was a fluke--that the alternator had went out and it then affected the battery and then the computer. All three of these things were replace. If has been driving fine except for one instance where it died at the end of a long driveway when I braked before turning onto the road. I turned the key off and turned it over and it started back up. And, I continued on my 1 hour drive but I was really feeling nervous. Towards the end of this month I will be making that drive to see my grandkids and I am a little nervous. I don't feel 100% about this car anymore and I loved this car. I read all the posts by others about their equinoxes losing power and mentioned it to the dealer who said they had never heard of this. I am very skeptical about their response. I can say they did make everything on the car right, but they cannot fix my unease about driving this car. Not sure if I'm going to keep it. Will give it month and see if I can regain my confidence in this car.
    betersen,

I am sorry to hear that you have become uneasy about your vehicle. If you happen to have any concerns in the future, know we are here to be of assistance.

Sincerely

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • rondhrondh Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2013 Equinox LTZ 6cyl AWD, and have discovered a service bulletin for sticking torque converter clutch that was issued in April, I bought in May and nobody said anything about any open issues. Along with that it came with a damaged chrome wheel ($700+) that I found when I detailed the car. I would not have bought the thing had I known about the TC and only found out through a different dealer. Chevy and the dealer have dismissed both complaints and I haven't even made the first payment. I have always bought new GM cars. No More.
    Hi rondh,

If there is anything we can do to assist you with this situation please do not hesitate to ask. We want to make sure that you as a customer, have all of your concerns addressed.

Sincerely

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • betersenbetersen Member Posts: 2
    On July 25th I'll be making another trip over the mountain to see my grandchildren. I really hope it is routine. Will post how it goes.
  • bigkritterbigkritter Member Posts: 31
    Ok GMC Customer Service and Service Centers why do you all continue to give us the run around. Giving us one lie after another. With dumb reasons why our vehicles are doing these things. I am not stupid or are most of the others complaining. I want to know what is going to be done about these cars. They are not safe. I can not go without a car, yet when I bring it in, you already nothing is going to be done. If I state that I want it to stay till something is done, I will not receive a loaner car due to I was able to drive it in to the shop. I am disabled and need a good car. I don't think GMC wants it to be known that not only are the customers dissatisfied but that they are allowing them to drive a unsafe vehicle around (knowing that it is not safe) Also the news might get it out that they are taken advantage of the disabled.
  • luvs2cook2luvs2cook2 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2010 Equinox that is sooooo loud!! The engine is ticking and getting worse. It sounds perhaps better to describe as a sewing machine noise. It is a 4 cylinder also. The other issue it keeps having is the air bag maintenance light goes on and off. I did bring it to the dealer and they said they made some adjustments but see nothing wrong. My car has 39944 miles on it. Now this past Sunday the car had a bad fuel smell in it, but being Sunday there were no dealers open. Any suggestions? The fuel smell did go away. The engine noise, not so lucky.

Sandie
  • rustywerrustywer Member Posts: 21
    edited July 2013
    I have a question about my 2012 equinox. we recently upgraded our phones from an HTC g2 and now we have samsung galaxy s 4 phones that are not operating correctly with the Bluetooth function from the radio. From my research I have done thus far, I understand that there is an upgrade to the program that can be downloaded via onstar to solve these connectivity problems. Does anybody have any information about a Technical Service Bulletin that addresses this matter. I want to make sure that the new program for the Bluetooth stack will support my samsung galaxy s 4. my problem is not with teathering the phone but with downloading my address book into the vehicle so it can recognize who I want to call when I initiate a hands free Bluetooth call. I know that General Motors customer service monitors this thread for their information I have a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS.
  • twerkingtwerking Member Posts: 2
    Sandie... As far as the the loud ticking goes, take your nox to a reputable shop and have them replace BOTH timing chains and the tensioner. The additional chain is for the water pump and fuel pump. I just pulled mine apart 3 times to figure out that the tensioner (hydro) malfuctioned and wasn't doing its job on the timing chain that stretched more than usual due to GM producing bad/ weak chains. Mine has been running strong since. Also, they just released a recall for the oil life monitor. I have switched from synthetic the normal oil and change oil every 3-4 K now.
    Hi rustywer,

If you send us the last 8-digits of your VIN we can check to see which TSB you are referencing, and better address your concerns. Feel free to also email us at socialmedia@gm.com [Attn:Amber]. Include your name, VIN, mileage and dealership. We look forward to hearing from you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • lu4qalu4qa Member Posts: 1
    My 2012 nox has had this sound since I bought it Sept '12. It is only getting worst. Three times to the dealer and they can not replicate the sound. Sound/noise is sporadic when applying brakes and then releasing them. Noise goes away once I accelerate. Best way I came up o describe is it sounds like a hydraulic motor revving up. Anyone with a similar problem?
    hey everyone I keep seeing post that talk abouit recalls or service bulletins but do not know whwere to find them Pleases can someone tell me where to go to veiw them.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide has recall info and summary lists of TSBs.

BBBind.com has most of the full text TSBs.
    Hi lu4qa,

Sorry to hear that you're concerned with the sounds coming from your Equinox. I see that the dealership was unable to duplicate the issue. Remember that you can go to another dealership for a second opinion. If there is anything we can help you with please let us know.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • missingtoyotamissingtoyota Member Posts: 3
    rustywer,

I purchased my EQ in June of 2012. I had no idea this site existed. I have been having the idle surge problem with 4cyl LS for about six months. Of course, my dealer cannot duplicate. I am also having an issue with noises coming from the front end. We have only heard the noise from inside the car. It sounds like a rubbing/grinding sound when turning the wheel. And, of course, my dealer cannot duplicate. Both issues seem to be intermittent. I owned 5 Toyota's before crossing over into the GM abyss. I had a friend that bought an EQ about 4 months before I did, he loved it and sold me on it. At first, it was a really nice car. The problems have started, and after reading the comments on this site, it is just a matter of time before something else goes wrong. I'm disappointed to say the least, and see now why GM had to be bailed out by Obama. I will trade out as soon as possible, never to return. The value has plummeted, so I'm stuck for a while. Going back to Toyota!
    Hi missingtoyota,

I can understand your frustration with having so many issues with your Equinox. We want you to be completely satisfied with your Equinox and feel that you have a reliable vehicle. Since your dealer wasn't able to duplicate the issue, feel free to visit a different dealership for a second opinion. If there is anything else we can do to help with your concerns, please let us know.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    Amber,

I have read a response like yours throughout this entire site. It is a typical "boxed" response from GM. Did you know that my dealer suggested the very same thing...can you imagine? Your next response will probably be to direct me another site and provide the last eight digits of my V.I.N. The interesting thing here is when GM was taking my money, they were able to do that without a second opinion, or even consulting a blog! Wow! The part that you and partners at GM don't seem to understand is, every time I have to go back to the dealer time and time again, or go and get that invaluable second opinion, it costs me time, money and inflames the situation. GM never offers any type of reciprocity to offset a monthly note still due even though my vehicle is in the dealer's shop, costs associated with travel back and forth, and lost time. Now to be fair, my dealer offers a loaner program. That helps; however if you do not return it with the gas exactly as it was, you are charged $5.85 a gallon. Keep in mind this is supposed to ease the pain, the gas should be on the dealer as a goodwill gesture. Of course with that said, and reading the issues concerning this one model of the GM line, GM would be back on track for bailout by the very same people they sticking to by building inferior products.
  • skeet7skeet7 Member Posts: 10
    Mine did this when I first bought it. Sounded like a 'winding' engine. My husband said it was the breaks......so.................On our country roads i would drive..stop real fast, drive...stop real fast....He said something about it being the new breaks.
    This may help!
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    I agree with you 100%! ---- Every vehicle manufacturer "drags their feet" when it comes time to dealing with "heavy engine / transmission warranty work!" ---- They make the customer "jump through hoops" to get service. ---- When we as consumers drive our vehicles, we can hear the noise, but when the dealer's service people drive the vehicle they NEVER seem to be able to duplicate the condition or hear the noise. (THEY ALL SEEM TO HAVE "SELECTIVE HEARING! THEY HEAR WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR, AND THEY IGNORE THE SOUNDS THAT THEY DO NOT WANT TO HEAR!) ----- When I purchase a new vehicle, I make it very clear to the selling dealer that I will work with them in a professional manner, and I will have all of my service performed at the dealership, ---- but in return, I expect HIGH QUALITY TIMELY PROFESSIONAL SERVICE! ----- I am happy to state that both my Toyota dealer and my Chevrolet dealer give me that kind of service. In return, I will return to the dealer for a replacement vehicle. If I give them all of my service business, and I have a "top of the line" extended warranty I want professional service. ----- In this economy, the customer is "king" because we have the money that both the dealers and the manufacturers need. ---- I can purchase any nameplate that I want, so "service" becomes the "deal maker," and the "deal breaker!" ---- Before I sign a purchase agreement, I ask the salesperson to introduce me to the service manager. I want to get a "birds eye view" of the service department, and the service operation. If I do not like what I see, I walk! There is no deal! ----- Just my opinion! ------ Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    Since posting the above comments, I have been thinking about the relationship between the vehicle customer and the factory / manufacturer. ------ Being a Chevrolet owner, I am very concerned about the "quality of the Chevrolet Equinox" because this is one of the vehicles on my short list when it comes time to replace either my Camry or my Malibu. ----- I like the layout of the vehicle, but GM should consider offering "dual temperature controls" for both the driver and the front passenger, along with power seats on both sides. ---- Dress up the vehicle with some creature comforts!

QUESTION: ---- There are some MAJOR problems with the Equinox 4 cylinder line of vehicles, but GM has chosen to be "VERY silent" with regards to the "FIX" for these problems, and they have been less than forthcoming with information to the customer base. ---- WHY? ----- Does GM really think that the vehicle purchasing public will continue to purchase the Equinox knowing about these operating problems? ------ The longer GM "drags it's feet" on correcting these engine / operational problems the more damage is being done to it's name plate. ----- This is why foreign cars got a "foot hold" in the United States in the 60's and 70's! The American vehicle manufacturers were turning out vehicles of a low quality. I had a relative that worked for a Buick dealership in 1975 and he told me that on a "1,000 mile new vehicle service" he could write on the service order, "water leak in truck / reseal the rear window" & driver's door window lose / tighten the glass on every two door Buick Century that was sold. ---- He also stated that the dealership would stock "body bolts" because some vehicles came through with missing body bolts. ----- This is not only a GM issue, it has also surfaced with Ford and the Explorer tire / spark plug issue, and the Chrysler "sludge" 2.7 engine issue. ---- The American buying public wants to support the American vehicle nameplates, but they want a "QUALITY PRODUCT" in return for their hard earned dollars, and when something goes wrong, they want to be treated in a straight forward / professional / adult manner. They want the problem fix in a timely manner without excuses, and because the vehicle is under new vehicle warranty" and / or an "extended warranty" they should be given a "loaner vehicle" to use while their vehicle is being serviced at the manufacturer's expense. (This is not a "gift" it is a professional obligation of the manufacturer for their "screw up!" ---- The owner should NOT be inconvenienced! ---- The "fix" for the vehicle is the manufacturer's responsibility through it's network of dealerships. ---- My obligation as an owner is to do the prescribed service at stated intervals to keep the warranty in force. ---- When something goes wrong, it is now the manufacturer's responsibility to correct the problem, and make things right, and I should NOT be inconvenienced in the process. ----- I will spend my money at any dealership that gives me that level of service. ---- In 1995 I leased a 1995 fully loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee that was a vehicle from hell. ---- It looked beautiful, but mechanically it was a "horror story!" The dealer was less than professional in terms of service. ---- When it came time to turn in the vehicle, he offered to lease me another Jeep Grand Cherokee at dealer cost to keep me as a customer. I turned it down, and leased a foreign nameplate vehicle. Over the years, I then leased 5 vehicles from this manufacturer. The American car manufacturer's lost 5 sales. Multiply this times the number of owners who have been burnt by the "American vehicle manufacturer's," and now you can see why the foreign cars have a "foot hold" in the American marketplace! ----- I am still interested in the Equinox "IF" GM can get it's act together and correct the problems. ---- I love my 4 cylinder 2010 LTZ Malibu. I easily get 30+ mpg at high cruising speeds. ----- Give me the "Malibu quality" in the "Equinox" and I will purchase the vehicle. ----- Just my opinion! ----- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    I like all you have voiced, but good luck on the loaner car. I you can drive your car to the shop, you do not get one
    Dwayne,

I concur. By the way, I traded a 2007 Camry in on my EQ. That was the fourth Camry we owned. The intriguing thing about the EQ-4cyl, was the gas economy was very close to the Camry. You have obviously had a good experience with the Malibu, if I were you stay away from the EQ at least for now. For example, my EQ has 16,000 miles on it and is about a year old. You have read my issues; compare that to four Camry's from 1999 to 2007 and a total of about 620,000 miles. Problems: The A pillar molding on the passenger side of the 2007 would pop out occasionally. Priceless!
    QUESTION: ---- What does the warranty and the extended GM warranty say about getting a loaner car when your vehicle is in the dealership for warranty repairs? ---- We might be entitled to a vehicle, but "IF" we do not ask, the dealer is NOT going to offer that option! ---- I learned a long time ago that you set the stage for how you expect and want to be treated! ---- I go "out of my way" to treat everyone in the dealership with respect, and I make sure that they know my name, and that I know their names. ---- I introduce myself to the owner / general manager of the dealership. I leave my business card everywhere. Then when I call them for service, they have a mental picture of the person on the other end of the phone call. Developing a professional relationship with the dealership staff is your responsibility as a customer if you want to be treated in a professional manner. The "staff" is selling their services to you, and you are selling yourself to them as a loyal customer who deserves professional timely service. ------ You get the type of service that you expect! ---- Be very professional, and be seen as a positive person who is willing to work with the staff, ---- but who also wants results! ---- Just my opinion! ----- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    Missingtoyota:

I have the 2007 Toyota Camry V6 XLE, and YES the molding on the driver's side of my vehicle's "A pillar" does "pop out" at times! My vehicle has 83,000+ miles. I get 30mpg at highway cruising speed. ---- My Malibu has the 2.4, but it does NOT have the "Direct Injection 2.4 engine." --- (That is problem engine!) -- My Malibu now has 45,000 + miles, and I get 30mpg at cruising speeds. --- When the vehicle was new it had a computer engine software problem that needed to be corrected. There was a surging in the engine going up a hill. Once this was taking care of by the selling dealer, the vehicle has been trouble free. ---- I like both the Toyota and the Chevrolet line of vehicles. When I am ready to make a vehicle purchase, if it is to be a small SUV, it will be a choice between a Toyota Rave 4 or a Chevrolet 4 cylinder Equinox. ---- If it is to be a "sedan," it will be a choice between a 4 cylinder Toyota Camry XLE, or a Chevrolet Malibu LTZ. ---- Best regards! ----- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    I have done anything but treat them with respect. To have them treat me like I am stupid and have no idea what I am talking about. Also one dealership gave me a ride home and told me they would call to let me know if I would be getting a loaner car ( in about 2 hours ) Well 4 hours after I dropped my car off I called them. To be informed that It could not be duplicated and I could come and get my car. This time I missed a very important meeting. They did come and pick me back up to get car. The next time at a different dealer I Got a ride home from them and received a call that my car could get picked up ( 20 minutes before they close ) They did not come to get me . As far as the loaner I was informed that If I could drive it in I would not get one. Also my paperwork states that if it must stay overnight than I could have one. I am pretty sure that you do not work at either one due to the fact you sound professional. Unlike them NEXT........
    edited August 2013
    Dear Bigkritter:

You have NOT been treated properly by GM and the dealership! ----- (This is why people go to a foreign car nameplate!) ---- They conveniently tell you that they cannot not "duplicate the problem" because either they DO NOT WANT to spend the time diagnosing the problem, ---- OR ---- they simply want to avoid giving you the loaner vehicle by avoiding keeping the vehicle overnight to diagnose the problem properly. ------ QUESTION: What is wrong with the dealership technicians? ---- The dealership sends them to school, they read all the GM bulletins so as such they should be able to diagnose an automotive malfunction. -------- (THIS IS NOT BRAIN SURGERY!) ----

At this point in time, you have to decide on how you want to pursue the problem based on the lemon laws in your state and your financial situation. Only you can make that decisions. ------ But just think of how many potential "Equinox customers" have read these postings, and now have decided to purchase a Rav 4 instead of an Equinox! ---- YES, GM is losing sales everyday based on these postings on Edmunds, but I guess the management does not care about their "nameplate image" or the "lost Equinox sales." ---- If they did, they would be doing something about the situation. ----- GM either does not know how to fix the problems with the Equinox, ----- OR ---- they do not care to fix the problems with the Equinox! ---- If they do not know how to fix the problems with the Equinox they SHOULD NOT be in the automotive business. ----- If they do not care to fix the problems with the Equinox that is another story that has long range legal implications that only an attorney can understand.

When is comes time to purchase a replacement vehicle, think about how you were treated by the dealership and GM! ----- Then make a decision that is "good for you!" ---- I have two GREAT dealers! (Toyota & Chevrolet). ---- I have no problem replacing my 2007 Camry with another Toyota product, and I have no problem replacing my 2010 Malibu with another GM product but that is because both dealers give me "OUTSTANDING SERVICE!" ---- YES, "SERVICE" does sell cars! (General Motors are you listening????????????????????) Are the "suits in GM" reading these postings? ---- Does anyone really care about the customers after the sale? ------ The "Saturn Vehicle Line" had the potential to be a great product if GM had put some quality into the product. There engines were know oil burners after 50,000 miles.)

Best regards! --------- Dwayne ;):)
  • becky58becky58 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    After reading several messages I feel better about my situation. I purchased a 2012 Equinox AWD LT on Sept 2012. At approximately 14,000 miles it started up on its own at night and in the morning.. The lights would also turn on, on their own and then turn off after a few minutes. My dogs would wake me up and that is when I noticed what was happening. I took it in and they could not find anything wrong with it. Finally after the third time and weeks at a time at the dealership they told me they reprogramed the computer module and it seems to work. It has not started by itself again, but the light started to turn on again and I will be taking it to the dealership tomorrow. I will take suggestions given in comments to dealer and hope they listen to me. Today the service person as me if I had ever heard of the movie with a car named "Christine". Has anybody had this problem?
  • becky58becky58 Member Posts: 2
    Don't buy one and if you have join the frustrated with problems starting at 13000 and beyond.
    Hi becky58,

I hope everything goes well at the dealership tomorrow and apologize that you're having difficulties with your Equinox. If you would like for us to reach out to the dealer on your behalf and get a few more details of the situation we'd be more than happy to do so. If you need anything, we are available by email at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please keep us posted on your visit to the dealer.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    wow Becky you got the smart car, did your tranny learn how you drive or did you not confuse the computer LOL even though it is not fun it is wrong all the way around good luck
    Ok all of you GM Customer Care I never heard back from any of you. I was Head of Customer Service for NEC/Packard Bell Computers and if this was how we handled our Dissatified Customers by putting then in danger there would be no more NEC/Packard Bell. Next
    Hi bigkritter,

I apologize if you haven't heard from anyone regarding your vehicle concerns. I see that you last spoke with Crystal back in May. She is now working in a different department, so I apologize that there has been no action on your case. If you would like for us to still look into the trouble you're having with your Chevy Equinox please email us. Please reference your forum name as well as include your VIN, mileage, and contact information.

Thank you

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    No thanks because I have never spoke to a real person, just on computer. Which by the way there has been four of those. My is it not convent that now they have all gone to new departments. My next step is above all ya all. Just remimber s__t ro0lls downhill. But thank you for your concern
    Technology has taken over the "Customer Relations Department" of major companies. ------ In New Jersey, a customer cannot speak to a human being in the Utility Company if your area is suffering from a power outage. ----- The reason for this is that the corporations "THINK" that they are TOO IMPORTANT to speak to the customer base. ---- After all, they now have your money, so why should they take the time to speak with you! ---- This is a GREAT opportunity for a manufacturer to design a "customer service operation" to take all the GM customers to their name plate. ----- Keep up the good work GM! ---- You are alienating customers every day who have problem Equinox vehicles, and you are causing people like myself to re-consider purchasing another GM vehicle even though my vehicle is operating properly. ---- All the best to everyone on this great site! ----- Keep telling your stories about this poorly designed vehicle, and the poor quality customer service. ---- The word is getting out! ---- I would not want to be a sales person selling Chevrolet vehicles today! ------------ Dwayne
    Hey Dwayne
    I am known to speak my mind so maybe if we have enough people doing the same it might get noticed. Did you notice there was no reply to the post about onstar? I would like to know how many others are getting bad good reports
    bigkritter:

You make an excellent point. ----- We are living in a world that is changing. Have you every had the opportunity to read the book 1984?

The people who are advising GM about the Equinox issue are "not clear thinkers." ------ Fact: ---- The direct injection 2.4 engine in the Equinox has a poorly designed / manufactured fuel pump that destroys the timing chain assembly and the cylinders by leaking raw gasoline into the engine oil. ----- Fact: ---- The GM dealers are patching up the engine by only replacing the timing chain assembly and changing the oil. ----- Fact: ---- Due to cylinder wall and bearing damage, the engines have become oil burners.

GM is trying to save warranty money by NOT repairing the engines properly based on the postings of this site.

GM is "penny wise" and "dollar foolish!" ---- What they should do is turn a "negative" into a "positive." ----- Advertise the problem with the engine and also advertise the fact that GM is standing behind their product, and they are replacing the engines as needed with new fully dressed units. ----- This action will earn GM more new customers, and will earn them more money than trying to cut corners on warranty work.

The consumer will have faith in GM! ---- People will trust GM and they will purchase both new and used GM vehicles.

Best regards! ---------Dwayne
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    I know I'll never by another GM product EVER again.

The problem is whom can one trust? No one IMO.
    Hi All:

I just returned from my Chevrolet Dealer. I had the oil and filter changed on the 2010 Malibu. ----- I will be on the road next week, so I wanted to start out with a fresh oil and filter change. ------ While I was there, I had them check over the vehicle to be sure everything was 100%!

While waiting for the service, I walked into the showroom to look at the Impala, Malibu and Equinox. ------- IMPORTANT NOTE: ---- The 2014 Chevrolet Equinox is still using the 2.4 four cylinder engine, while the Chevrolet Malibu is using the new 2.5 four cylinder engine. ------- QUESTION: ---- Does this mean that the 2014 Equinox will have the same engine problems as the 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013? -------- I cannot believe that GM DID NOT install the NEW four cylinder in the Equinox! ---- As far as I can determine, the "top of the line Equinox" DOES NOT have two separate AC temperature controls for both the driver & passenger. ------ GM, what were you thinking? ----- Are you thinking?

All the best! ----- Dwayne
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    'Does this mean that the 2014 Equinox will have the same engine problems as the 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013?'

Dwayne, I believe there were 2 years when some of the 2.4's had the major troubles. 2010's and 2011's
    I hope you are correct! ------ Only time will tell! ---- I will be watching the "postings" on the 2012 and 2013 Vehicles! ------- Let's hope the GM finally learned how to manufactured a "fuel pump" that does not leak raw fuel into the engine oil! ------ All the best! ---- Dwayne
    Hi All: (UPDATE!)

Earlier this week I took my Malibu in for an oil and filter service, and I had the opportunity to look at the new Equinox, and I noticed that it still had the 2.4 four cylinder engine, rather than the new 2.5 four cylinder engine that is in the new Malibu. (I think that this is a BIG mistake on the part of GM!)

Today I took my 2007 XLE V6 Camry into the dealer for an "general pre-winter check up," and an oil and filter service. ----- (Next week I will be "on-the-road!) ---- While I was waiting for the service, I had the opportunity to look at the new Rav4. It is a very nice vehicle, and it could go "head to head with the equinox." ----- While I was in the show room I also looked at the Avalon which has almost the same MSRP price at a loaded Impala, and a Camry which would be close to the top of the line Malibu in price. The Impala is a beautiful vehicle, but compared to the Avalon it does lack in seat comfort, and the Avalon will hold it's value better over time. ------ The seats in the Camry are as comfortable as the Malibu, and the "fit and finish" is about the same! ---- GM has some competition with the Rav4, so they had better get their "automotive warranty act together," and make things "right" for the equinox owners, because there are other options out there in the automotive market place! ---- Just sharing some information! ---- All the best! ------ Dwayne
  • rlp10rlp10 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    We bought our car brand new in July of 2012. It's the V6 model. Had it in the shop within a couple of weeks due to the noise in the steering column when you made a sharp turn. They replaced something in the steering column but to no avail, the noise came back. Took it back in a 2nd time and they replaced it again. By this time, the rear end was making a noise when going over a bump at a very slow speed. The service provider could not find anything wrong with the rear end, so this is something I just have to live with. I'm tempted to apply WD-40 to the struts back there.
    At 35,000 miles, my vehicle was slow to start, almost like a weak battery and had been noticing a flickering in the interior and exterior lighting with a rough idle, almost like it was about to go dead. Within 2 days, the vehicle would not start. Dead battery! Took it to a local chevy service dept and they replaced the battery free of charge. We thought this would fix the problems. Nope! The vehicle spits, sputters, and sounds like it's about to die at any moment. The lights are still flickering with a rough idle. Also, the Stabillitrack Service light comes on and stays on for quite some time and then goes off. I've had the service engine light come on several times too, so the vehicle is back in the shop today at 38,000 miles (exactly 4 weeks from having a new battery put in). I'm really hoping this is something they fix under the manufacturers warranty since we had it in there BEFORE it was up and they could not find a thing! Anyone else have these problems and what was the solution? I'm very disappointed in GM products! If I wasn't $10,000 upside down on the thing, I'd trade it off! Just worried that I will have 5 more years of service repairs.
    well i really think the world is gettin to fast due to the fact my equinox tranny still has not learned how i drive or anything s
    else it is suppose to do now i went and got a clothes drier that learns how i like to dry my clothes. so chevy when are you going to fix this problem?
  • myers41myers41 Member Posts: 1
    We also reported a problem with a noise in the front end, and took it back and they replaced the power steering pump. After a month, the noise is back again. Now what? Talking over the extended warranty, wondering if they are really worth the money?
    The answer to your question is a BIG "YES," especially with these "high technology vehicles." ----- One major repair will pay back the cost of the warranty. ----- When I purchase a new or used vehicle from the dealer, I always put a "top of the line" manufacturer's extended warranty for the "maximum number of years," and the "maximum mileage" with zero deductible! ------ Most of the time, (over a period of 100,000 miles), I break even with the cost of the warranty. ----- On one vehicle, I was ahead by $3,000.00 + dollars. (2003 Honda Accord!) ---- When you look at the track record of the Chevrolet Equinox, I would purchase an extended warranty, and as soon as the extended warranty gets close to running out I would trade the vehicle! ---- Dwayne
  • nojokenojoke Member Posts: 1

We bought a new "10"nox , we love the car but odd things happen , like a sticky spot in the steering ( fixed first time in ),Trans. that wont shift out of park ( 3 times so far) and now I think the Excessive oil consumption . This is scaring me after reading all this here. I am starting to actually feel ASHAMED to tell anyone I am a G.M. retiree !! Too many Chief 's and not enough Indians . All the high level Management is concerned with is their BONUS ' s $$$$$ and forget Quality because that costs (Bonus) money !. It reminds the 80's all over again ! I 've only found 2 dealer service dept.'s that I trust out of 4 that I 've dealt with our 2 g.m. vehicles. I love my 08 Silverado 4 w.d. since new. As far as the "Extended Warr. issue G.M. did re-emburse the 100$ deductable for the trans prob.