Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi Q5 Maintenance and Repair

robert195robert195 Member Posts: 3
I have a 2010 Audi Q5. At about 82,000 kilometres the engine warning light came on. I had Dealer run a diagnostic and they told me that carbon is building up in the air ports- emmission control system and it has to be cleaned. Unfortunately they have to remove the engine to do that! Thats a 35 hour job and thousands of dollars which I have to pay because it is just out of warranty. They admitted it is happening to more and more Q5s but Audi doesnt know why. It sounds to me like it is clearly a design flaw.

Has anyone else had this problem? Have you been able to get Audi to cover the repairs?

Comments

• r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    I heard it's a big issue with cars with direct injection, especially Audi.
    I need to pay $400-$500 to clean the intake manifold of my Bimmer.
    Some said you need to drive the car hard to burn the carbon deposits from time to time...
  • ckblakesckblakes Member Posts: 1
    Had the same problem with at q5 at 55,000 miles. The dealership was not responsive. Told me it was caused by not using high detergent gas (which I was). I also email Audi USA. They have not responded
  • robert195robert195 Member Posts: 3
    Just to let everyone know , Audi Canada agreed to pay the whole bill ... about $6,000.00 ..
    If you have the same problem call customer service at Audi directly
  • rog255rog255 Member Posts: 4
    Interesting that they covered cost of repair. After reading this thread, I'm worried about keeping my car. I just brought my 2010 Q5 to the dealer today for same symptom, carbon build up clogged flow tube. Luckily I had 400 miles left on the factory warranty. Service person said he hadn't seen this issue, but checked around and said others had seen it. He wasn't sure of the cause or how to stop from occuring again, but said only way to repair is to pull the engine. Sounds like a manufacturer design flaw.
  • chrisch70chrisch70 Member Posts: 46
    My Q5 lease is coming to an end in October and I have the option to purchase my 2010 Q5 3.2 premium plus, 40k miles at lease end, with Nav + Bang soundsystem and premium wheels for $23k, which seems to be a good price, given the current rate for used Q5 (any thoughts on that?)

Also is anyone willing to share some experience dealing with Audi, when their Q5 lease came to an end? Are they willing to buy the car back, or did they even lower the set purchase price. For the latter, I assume not, as the cars value is in high demand and value is holding up.

If anyone can share their experience, I would really appreciate!

Cheers
  • ac71ac71 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2009 Audi Q5 and the check engine light went on at 96,000 miles. The dealership where I get the car serviced regularly ran the diagnostic and informed me there are carbon deposits interfering with air flow in the secondary air system. They also said it would be a 30 hour job (at least a $3000.00 bill) to clean deposits off. I have called Audi directly (800-822-2834) and voiced my dismay and request that they cover this problem (as it seems to be a flaw with the design). They said they would get back to me within 2 business days and I will update this post once I hear back. If Audi does not cover this, I will certainly not be investing in another Audi (had been a happy Audi owner for 2 cars spanning 11 years).
  • glassblower1glassblower1 Member Posts: 12
    Wow. I just test drove a 2012 Q5. I really liked it and was considering it until I read this thread. Think I'll go with the RDX instead. Best of luck to all of you with this problem; hope it gets fixed to your satisfaction.
    Got my Audi Q5 back from the dealer after they cleared the insufficient flow issue (pulling engine and cleaning out heavy carbon buildup in many air flow areas). Car was in the shop for 11 days. 2012 Q5 loaner was nice. I can only imagin the amount of hours spent resolving the problem, but unable to cure the cause. Car drives great now, but no telling what cause is and when it will need to go back for same cleaning. Unfortunately my factory warrantee period will have expired the next time.
  • dexter15dexter15 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    I'm thinking about purchasing a certified '09 Audi Q5 that dealer just took in. The certification took a considerable amount of time as it had the engine carbon buildup issue in the air ports. It was apparent to me by the heavy carbon deposits on the exhaust tips as well.
    All appears to have been corrected under the certification now, but I am concerned about this reoccurring again. I will get another 8 mos.( & up to 13k miles) on original warranty plus the CPO warranty taking me to 4/15 and 100k. Any thoughts I whether I should walk away on this one? Also, any comments on Audi's prepaid service plan "Extra Care Plus" ($1050) for 55, 65, and 75K scheduled maintenance? Seems like it is worth the price, but I would appreciate comments.
  • anagpal05anagpal05 Member Posts: 1
    So I finalized my purchase of the 2012 Audi Q5 yesterday and I will be getting it on Wednesday. When the business manager sat with me, he presented to me a paper with 4 different sets of coverage from Preferred to Economy. I calculated the numbers and after interest, I will be paying around 8,000 for it (rip off). This includes Audi Pure Protection, Road Hazard Tire, Xzilion Plus4, Audi Care and Audi Short Term Care Select. So what do you folks suggest I need and should get now or shop around and see if I can get better prices. Is the Audi Pure protection the extended warranty that can be purchased later? Also can the tire protection be added to my insurance policy? I appreciate the response folks

Thanks
    I like the Audi prepaid service plan. It didn't appear to me the cost was out of line for the services provided.
    With regards to carbon build up issue, from the experience with my car and from what I've found on the internet, it appears to happen typically between 45k and 85k miles, depending, I'm guessing, most likely on the type of driving and fuel grade used. My car required the repair (quite an invasive repair) at 49k, and was used mainly for city driving and fired on medium grade gas.
  • hkubelhkubel Member Posts: 6
    Hi. I'm picking up my Q5 on Wednesday...Ok, my wife's Q5 on Wednesday! The Finance guy tried to sell me on the Term Care Select package for $995. It covers 1 set of brake pad replacement, 1 battery replacement, Belts and hoses, 1 windshield wiper replacement, and one wheel alignment. Also includes a an annual replacement of the car keys, although I don't lose them that often!
    My first question is, is this worth the cost?
    My second question is, does anyone know if this price is negotiable at all? Seems awfully expensive. I am admittedly not a "car guy" so I really don't know if this is a smart investment in terms of the care plan.
    Thanks!
  • inky12inky12 Member Posts: 1
    How many of you who had issues with carbon deposits restricting air flow have the 3.2L engine versus the 2.0L Turbo? Are there any issues with the 2.0L turbo? I am thinking of buying a Q5 but am holding off until I can find a solution to what appears to be a significant design flaw. Thank you, Inky12
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I got my Q5 end of March, purchased 100k extended warranty (covers just about everything except certain wearable items like brake pads, etc. for $2700. Reason I did so company is paying for the car, so they paid for this as well. Then, I bought prepared maintenance for 15, 25, 35 and 45k for $850
    I had carbon deposit issue on 2010 3.2L. 2L T came out in 2011, so I wouldn't expect many 2L T cars are at 50k - 80k mileage yet to see if suffer carbon deposit issue.
  • amkmeco90amkmeco90 Member Posts: 17
    hey ac71, have you get any answer from AOA? i've an 09 Q5 and done that carbon build-up around 32k miles and i'm really worried when it will happens again, esp when the warranty is expired.
  • audiq5marylandaudiq5maryland Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 AUDI Q5 had the check engine light come on and required a special tool and cleaning to correct the problem. Fortunately for me I purchased the AUDI Platinum Warranty which covers the issue. I have been pleased with the dealer being upfront with me and providing a loaner for the week long procedure. I just hope when my warranty expires this doesn't happen again.

good luck.....ask about the factory warranty
  • amkmeco90amkmeco90 Member Posts: 17
    my 09 Q5 just passed 40k miles, so may i ask you how much is the Audi platinum warranty costs? as i really don't know what to do when that problem will happen again after the factory warranty ends?
  • wrtoffwrtoff Member Posts: 7
    Hello All,

I'm looking to purchase a 2013 Q5. Can someone explain the extended warranty to me. What the terms are, what it covers and how much it costs? I'm purchasing and not leasing. I'm very afraid of owning a German car that is out of warranty!

Thanks in advance!

-Jeff
  • prapprap Member Posts: 2
    I have similar Carbon deposit problem at 53000 miles in Audi Q5 2010 model. It requires extensive work. I am very dissatisfied with Q5 and would not recommend to buy it. None of my cars had this kind of problem even after driving for more than 125K miles. There is some fundamental problem with Q5 engine. I think company knows about the defective engine but does not seem like doing much.
  • prapprap Member Posts: 2
    I would recommend to buy extended warranty if plan to keep Q5 after 50K. It is likely to need major repair work like Cardon deposit.
  • vwhopevwhope Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I have been dealing with my local Audi dealer and Audi Care on this. I have been getting run around on reason and options for repair. I have had an intermittent check engine light for awhile and now believe this is reason. But now my car is out of warranty and said not their issue. I can't seem to get a true answer on this from both Audi and dealer which makes me believe this is a bigger issues with cars than letting on.
    I know that from owning many German cars, they don't put a simple maintenance item under the engine if they expected it to be serviced. Interesting on how much difference there is on repair estimates.....plan to shell out thousands of $!!
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    Dear Q-5 Owners, reading these posts have given me some real Pause to purchase a 2012 Q-5 2.0 T. It's a Used (looks like a Dealer car) with only 3300 miles. Although I was not really looking at this car (I was shopping for a new 2013 Infiniti M 37X), it was on the Infiniti dealer's lot. I've read about some Tranny issues and now this Carbon Build up thing. Is this common with the later models and/or with the 2.0 Turbo engines. Overall, it's a very nice SUV or CUV...THX
  • audioilproblemaudioilproblem Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2013
    I recently purchased a new 2013 q5 2.0 and after less than 2000 miles and 4 months the oil light went on. The dealer was flabbergasted at this and claimed to have never seen this type of problem before on a new car (would they say otherwise?). So after running the full diagnostic on it they wanted me to do a special oil test where they drain it, weigh it and have me back after a certain time to weigh oil that's left. Well i just got the results back and they weren't good. They found a problem with oil usage or leakage and need to replace major parts in the engine, including the longblock which is about $5,000 according to quick search online. The car will be in the shop for 2 weeks!!! Audi wanted this repair done asap and had already overnighted the parts from germany. NOW WHY ON EARTH WOULD AUDI BE SO QUICK TO MAKE THESE MAJOR REPAIRS??? THEY MUST KNOW THAT THIS NEW Q5 REDESIGN IS HAVING MAJOR OIL ISSUES LIKE THIER OTHER CARS "USED TO" HAVE. I'm currently waiting to hear back from corporate regarding a buy back or other fixes. I just want to make sure others out there looking at this car are aware of these problems because it is not isolated to just this model. I used to have an a4 that literally died because of oil problems. That one related to a recall on a part that I was ever notified about. PLEASE DO MORE RESEARCH ON OIL PROBLEMS BEFORE YOU CONSIDER AUDI, AND DON'T TRUST THE DEALER TO GIVE YOU AN HONEST ANSWER THAT AUDIS DON'T HAVE THESE PROBLEMS ANYMORE.
  • rikerwomanrikerwoman Member Posts: 1
    I just took my 2010 Q5 in for Oil Lube, and was told the same problem with Oil as you are having I only have 35,000 on it. And, the brakes had to replaced? I did it and it was $735.00 to have them done. By the Audi dealer. don't buy the plan to completely redo your car after a year. My 14 year old grandson did a better job.
  • robert195robert195 Member Posts: 3
    I was the original post on this board and just want to update everyone.
    Audi is now sending out letters to Q5 owners that they are extending the warranty to cover this issue. My warranty for this carbon problem has been extended to 193000 kilometers and they will re imburse you if you had to pay for the work already as out of warranty. My Q5 is a 2010 with 3.2 litre engine.

Seems like Audi is coming through on this problem.
    P.S. The oil burning problem is on later models with the 2.0 L engines. I dont know what is happening with that.
  • lxclintonlxclinton Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my car (Q5 2013 2.0T premium) on Jun. 1st, 2013. Now the odometer is 3500 miles. Recently, I find gas is guzzled much faster than before. For example, while I drove to work this morning, I observed that the remaining distance decreased 5 miles every 3 miles I actually drove. There is 8 miles from my home to office, but there are 15-mile difference on remaining distance estimator between the beginning and end of this trip. Does anybody run into this issue before? What possibly is the problem, please?

Thanks a lot.
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Don't get hung up on this. I have had my Q5 for 18 months now, just turned 40,000 miles a few weeks ago. I keep track of every out of gas I put in the vehicle. I would say my average mpg for the life of the car is perhaps 25 mpg. Per the computer it shows a few more mpg. As an example, for the past 5000 miles until a few days ago it showed an average of 28.3 mpg but my average based on actual consumption less than that. I haven't had a car yet that does not accurately reflect mpg, the computers always show at least 1 to 2 mpg higher than actual.

When I am perhaps 1/3 or 1/2 into a long trip, it will show my range (before empty sometimes over 600 miles, but I have never squeezed more than 550 out of a tankfull. As you get close to empty the extended range will drop at a higher rate than you have actual miles left in the tank. And, believe it or not, although the gas tank is supposedly rated at 19.5 gallons, on two occasions I have put in 20 galllons, so I know I must have been running on fumes.
  • knizialekknizialek Member Posts: 1

I October 2013 Audi extended the warranty form the carbon issue to 10yrs/120,000 miles. I'm going to need it addressed for second time

• olamijmdolamijmd Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2015
    I recently bought a 2009 Audi Q5 Quattro 2litre TURBO Petrol. The car drives superb in all conditions. Current mileage is 88,000kilometer. Recently I got Gearbox Malfunction limited functionality reverse not available Error message. Audi charged me about 2,000USD to fix. I got the car back, drove it and same day got the same error message again. The Audi tech guy told me the error message might keep appearing till I had done 700kilometers. I took the car on 1500km road trip and return and I am still having same issue. Whenever the error message comes up, the car stall and I have to swift off and restart the car. This is now very frustrating. Anyone has an idea what could be happening here and if this is a known issue and if Audi has any time have an extended warranty to cover this issue.
  • javahomejavahome Member Posts: 1
    I’m wondering how reliable my 2014 Audi Q5 is now after experiencing a serious service issue because of my Audi dealer’s over-reliance on electronic systems. My Q5 has no dipstick. Instead, oil is checked with the car’s electronics. The problem started when the car’s oil warning system kicked-in 350 miles after Audi performed routine 25K mile service. The system said to add a quart of oil which I did. Then I brought my car to the dealer who said the oil level was now OK, performed “Oil Consumption Test 1” and told me to return if the oil warning came back on. 900 miles later the oil warning did come back on with instructions to add a quart. I added no oil, but I drove it right to the dealer. The dealer then performed “Consumption Test 2,” and topped off the oil. The dealer later said my car’s oil consumption problem was caused by a faulty oil valve which had been formally recalled a few days before, and said the oil problem was now fixed. However, 250 miles later the warning came back on again saying to add a quart. I added no oil and brought the car back to the dealer. This time the dealer checked the oil level mechanically, and said the oil level was over filled by two quarts! The dealer reduced the oil level, and told me the problem was now fixed. The dealer has not been able to tell my why this all happened. An Audi mechanic at another dealer shook his head, then showed me how to measure the oil level the old fashioned way and helped me with ordering a mechanic’s dipstick. He said I’m really lucky that the engine didn’t blow any seals. After some research, in addition to the seals, I’m worried about oil having been churned full of bubbles reducing bearing lubrication, and about the catalytic converter being ruined. I’m nervous about driving my car any long distance now. What do you think? I’m kind of at lot a loss. I thought I’d have a great car for maybe 150K miles, but now I’m not so sure. Thanks for any advice.