Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Acura RDX

Comments

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I wonder if the problem is just with AWD models? If so, that may be a good place to start looking. A slight, momemtary noise is one thing, a steady high pitched noise of some duration is another.
  • lg20219lg20219 Member Posts: 1
    :cry: I only had 600 miles on the car and was on the way to the dealership to pick up license plate and got the crack on the windshielf when driving on the highway. It was about penny size. Do you think I should repair or have it replaced? We love the car so much, or well.. The windshield was so fragile and I had my other SUV for about 6 year and never had any issues even the rocks hit a few times.
  • tpillotpillo Member Posts: 4
    The noise is a steady high pitch sound when under load, when using the cruise control you almost get use to it until you disengage and notice the difference.
    So it's only when you use cruise and the vehicle is under a little load, like a slight hil or something?
    No idea without seeing it. Most insurance companies would love to fix a windshield if it has a very small chip and will do it for free. If it is a long crack or develops into a long crack it will have to be replaced and a lot of ins. cos. have a $100 dedectible or more. There may be some that have no deductible even. Bottom line....talk to your insurance company as you don't want to drive around with a big chip or crack in your windshiled on a brand new car. :sick:
  • lesburlesonlesburleson Member Posts: 1
    hey everyone, i actually sell acura's and was wondering what the general impression was in the marketplace of this fantastic vehicle? i drive it every day in demonstrating it's features and from the feedback i get it seems to be hitting a homerun amongst its competition. what do you all think? has anyone here bought a competing vehicle? why? what was the deciding factor? thanks for your feedback!!!!

les
  • quakerwildcatquakerwildcat Member Posts: 39
    Hi Les.

After reading a lot of the discussions on this forum, I'd say I'm probably not alone in having mixed feelings about the RDX. It is a car that's been engineered more for the left brain than the right brain. It's built for mass appeal, with a best-in-class balance between performance and fuel economy, and just enough luxury and safety features to make it a superior value for the money.

My frustrations, however, were many. The rear cargo area is terrible when compared to wagons like the Subaru Outback and even small SUVs like the Honda CR-V. Many of the little ergonomic touches I expect from Honda managed not to reach this vehicle. Lousy cup holders, no bag hooks in the back, no fold-flat seat, no rear 120V outlet, no passenger lamps. 91 octane gas pisses a lot of people off. And frankly while the V6 is responsive and smooth compared to turbo 4 competitors, I wouldn't call it fun to drive. After 2+ months, I'm still not used to the way VCM responds when I take my foot off the gas. It's not quite a lurch, but it's not coasting either. It requires that I drive differently than any other car I've owned. I thought it would be a good road car, but passengers who loved riding in my old TL find the RDX makes them nauseous.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    my wife is looking to get out of a minivan now that the kids are grown, and she loved it. Especially the seats and how it drove. However, most of what you list are items that would never cross her mind, or she would not realize on a test drive.

I did find the cargo area to be a bit tight. That could be an issue. But, it did fly (seriously quick). And most people buying one of these are going to be more interested in smooth comfort, not nimble sports car handling!

as to the lurch, that may not be the VCM. Honda trannys work a bit differently than other ones, and it may be that you are feeling, not VCM kicking in or out.

basically, I look at the RDX as a fancy trim level V6 CRV for an extra 5K or so. My wife liked the CRV when we checked it out, but then I made the (financial) mistake of stopping at the Acura dealer since I wanted to see one. After that, getting her into a more budget friendly ride was going to be hard!

right now, we are waiting for the Santa Fe to hit showrooms. We got to play around in a pre-release one a few weeks back, and it was really nice. And much roomier, with neat features. Depending on price, that might be the winner.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Discarding the absoutely STELLAR (for F/awd vehicles) SH-AWD system in favor of the one in the Ford Escape so the V6 could get past the bean-counters was a BIG mistake IMMHO.

Personally I would have rather lived with a derated (no turbo) I4 with a CR cognizant with DFI than lose the SH-AWD system. Maybe add a throttle body fuel injector, or 2, to prevent intake valve and the entire intake manifold from EGR contamination

And you still need to de-clutter the dash area.

The good new is that maybe this new turbocharging fad is on the wane. I hear the CX-7 is now on the chopping block.
    you are in an extremely small minority of people that would trade down to a weak old-school engine just to get a fancier AWD. with cars like the CRV, escape, etc. there must be million+ sold a year that people are perfectly happy with.

And the CX-7, like the old RDX, was "old school" turbos that got lousy mileage. The modern ones (like Ecoboost) are still growing.

The CX-7 is history which is already old news. They announced that the same time the CX-5 came out.

The new RDX is selling tons better than the old RDX. The SH-AWD is a better system and all but the people who were actually looking to buy a small Acura CUV didn't have the want or need for it. It seems that the people that liked it the most, like internet poster enthusiusts, weren't the ones that were actually buying the vehicle, they were just talking about it. Acura can't pay it's bills jsut because internet posters say they like something but don't buy it!

The dash has been decluttered and is now no more cluttered than most other competitors.
  • joecrossoverjoecrossover Member Posts: 6
    The vehicle rides as a dream, Needs Blind Spot Monitor bad. I does not offer
    integrated Engine remote start on the key fob.
    I wouldn't pay a dime extra for either of these options. How much would you pay? Been driving 40 years just using my mirrors and haven't had accidents from not seeing someone before changing lanes. If your mirrors are adjusted correctly there is no such thing as blind spot. I've heard that road rails, posts and even trees can set them off so I have a feeling if they came standard I would be shutting them off anyway. I just wouldn't want to get used to depending on them. I know people say they are just "an added insurance" but I think they would cut down on a drivers awareness.

Now, the remote start is something that also doesn't interest me but I can understand where some people want them. I guess if it came standard I would use it a few times a year in very extreme cold but certainly wouldn't pay extra for it. Maybe I'm just cheap. ;)
  • twwilliamtwwilliam Member Posts: 17
    I find the 2013 RDX to have a much smoother, quieter ride than the 2009 RDX I traded and the gas mileage is far better. Have experienced up to 27 mpg at speeds in excess of 75 mph. Miss some of the storage space in the center console and door pockets. The ong big negative is the voice activated system. The system only allows 20 voice tag numbers and the main phonebook cannot be accessed when the vehicle is moving..ditto many features of the navigation system. If this was done in the name of "safety"...the results are just the opposite.
  • tpillotpillo Member Posts: 4
    No, the whining noise is there anytime while under load. On a long trip using cruise control the sound blends in and you don't seem to notice it until you disengage the cruise.
    In my present SUV I have a net that stretches arcross the rear of the storage area and you can put plastic bags of groceries inside it so they don't fly around and empty out. I notice in the RDX there are not attachment sites for something like I presently have but there are anchors on the floor in four places. Does anyone know how that would work? I really like what I presently have. I can go to Target and put at least 7 or 8 bags inside the netting across the back of the storage area and they stay perfectly still during the drive home. Just wondering if anyone has an alternate setup in the RDX. Tks.
  • 4mercoachrick4mercoachrick Member Posts: 133
    Ladies and gentlemen...After 7 of the last 8 vehicles coming from Volvo(RX330 thrown in), we are now proud owners of a White FWD Tech Pkg RDX. In less than 24 hours, I had a chance to miss the AWD of the XC60...a blinding rainstorm--one of those 3" an hour storms caught me on a 75 mph highway. I likely was feeling the considerable difference in weight as well. However, the RDX acquitted itself nicely. As the rain let up, I noticed the RDX tracked nicely around a full-speed ramp with no hint of losing grip...nice.

I'll drop back in from time to time as I get more familiar with the new ride. So far, I'm very glad I went with the Tech pkg vs the frequently updated Sensus in the newer Volvos. I was considering the 3.2 engine in the Volvo, but I'm pretty sure the RDX powerplant is superior(certainly is on paper). DW loves the 'entertainment' features and I've got a feeling I'll get to drive the C70 convertible a bit more because of that. ;)

Only time will tell if we will miss the 'city safe' features of the Volvo. I didn't care for BLIS, but a couple of the systems were interesting(if not frequently used).

I guess the rain that moved in today could be attributed to our vehicle purchase. The rain gods likely consider the shiny NEW vehicle as a greater commitment than JUST washing the car! :D
    A neighbor pointed out the possibility of attaching the 'net' to the rear seat anchors. Of course, that means the rear seatbacks would need to be down AND the cargo net wouldn't be all that easy to reach; but, it's a possible solution. Our Volvo V70 had the grocery flip up lid with the hooks and strap as did the XC60; but with the plastic cargo floor liner in place, the lid was a bit tricky to access. We did use the bag holder regularly in the V70, since it was easier to get to.

Another thought would be something that looped over the rear seat head restraints so the seatbacks could be left up and the 'net' could be 'hanging' from the head restraints. I have a never used cargo net from two decades ago(Sable wagon) that might work for that. Hmmm...
    The net I have in my present Infiniti SUV stretches arcross the back of the storage area right at the back door. I understand your suggestions but that would mean quite a reach both to place the bags in the net and probably even harder to retrieve. I guess I could carry a light plastic box of some kind to just put the bags in but if the box wasn't full the groceries would still fly all over the place. I'm just so used to what I have after using it for 10 years that it is something that I really noticed was missing on the RDX . There's got to be some fairly simple remedy. There are two clips in the back either in or near the floor so maybe a couple of more clips could be attached further up and I could use my present netting that came with the Infinti. Realize this is not deal killer but just looking for some suggestions. Tks.
    I'll take a look. There is the 'cutout' where the cargo area cover would attach that might accept a hook or eye-screw. A collapsible file folder carton might work as a stand-alone piece, but it would still need to be anchored. I always have a couple of bungee cords in the back to secure whatever decorating goodies DW finds for her clients.
    Acura does have a cargo net that attaches at the four corners at the floor and you can slide things under it. I guess that might work for plastic bags of groceries. I see a picture on the RDX accessories on the Acura website and it may be ok. Looking for some that has the "cargo net" and how useful it is for the purpose I've described. Tks agn.
  • s618s618 Member Posts: 15
    Thinking of taking the plunge on an Rdx. Can anyone tell me how costly maintenance is . We are used to a toyota or Hyundai at $20-35 bucks for an oil change . Is there much maintenance required for an acura ? Thanks all.

I am here in md and saw 6 Rdx 2013 on the lot . Haven't talked price yet but hoping to get a tech pkg for less than 40k?
    No guarantees but my experience with 2 other Acuras has been stellar. My TL has 120K miles on it and has never had any serious problems. The only things that might be considered out of the ordinary were an engine mount that was supposedly worn at around 100K. I consider some scheduled maintenance items like replacing an expensive HEPA filter for the A/C to be optional.

One key to enjoying any car over the years is having a good service technician you can trust that is convenient to your home or office. I have ruled out some car brands for this reason. It so happens I have an Acura dealer near me that doesn't over charge for service, provides free loaners and inspections, and has extremely convenient service hours, so that's a big deal for me.
  • roadrunner56roadrunner56 Member Posts: 9
    My wife and I purchased a 2013 RDX AWD with Tech Package about 3 months ago. Overall impressions of the car are good, but voice dialing is a disaster. Here's a comparison of the steps necessary for pre-2013 v. 2013 voice dialing:

Pre-2013

1. Press Call-Pick Up
    2. Say name (and dialing initiated immediately).

1. Press Voice Command
    2. Say "Dial by Voice Tag"
    3. Wait for beep, and Press Voice Command
    4. Say name.
    5. Wait for system to repeat name back and beep.
    6. Press Voice Command
    7. Say "Dial."

Not only is the new approach slow and frustrating, in my view it's downright dangerous since it lengthens substantially the interval when the driver is distracted trying to get through what is now a 7-step process. I have called Acura and a separate help line for HFL, as well as the dealer. No love. A lame and vague explanation about Acura wanting to enhance safety. I can't even fathom how this enhances safety other than forcing a driver to pull over and pull out his/her phone to make a call.

I would love to be proven wrong with a good shortcut using HFL itself (as opposed to workarounds on your phone, which necessitates getting the phone out, etc.), but no luck so far. I truly regret getting the car. In 2012, safe and efficient voice dialing is a fundamental car attribute, especially for a luxury car. Does anyone else have this issue? Thanks.
    It's definitely not as good as it could be, but you don't have to say "Dial by Voice Tag," or say "Dial" at the end. I just say "call" and the name, and it works.

What kills me is that in 2012 I should have to pre-record voice dials at all. It should just search my address book for a match.
    Are you referring to the 2013 RDX Tech?? Our 2012 MDX Tech works as you indicated, but the 2013 RDX is awful. And to make matters worse it you can only transfer 20 phonebook numbers to the voice tag list compared to 50 with the MDX.
    I totally agree with you about the safety issue. Having to pull to the shoulder of a 65 mph interstate highway, where cars are flying by at 80 mph, is not safe. I pointed this out in several surveys I was requested to complete, including JD Power.

The system is awful and a major flaw as is not being able to change the navigation system while the vehicle is in motion. Once again I had to pull over so my passenger could change our destination in the navigation system.

And potential customers will go elsewhere for a new SUV. Recently, while pumping gas, a five time Acura owner in a MDX approached to ask me how I liked the 2013 RDX. He was considering the RDX for his wife because of the improved gas mileage but would look to other manufacturers after I described the horrible phone & navigation systems. He found it difficult to believe one can only transfer 20 stored contacts from the phonebook to the voice tag phonebook. He loves Acuras, but said based on that alone he would not buy another Acura until they fix this.
    @twwilliam and @quakerwildcat

Twwilliam is right. I was referring to the 2013 RDX Tech.

The 2012 RDX has a very different system. Acura will tell you it's better because Voice Control can now do more stuff (mostly useless/superfluous) like turning off your air conditioning.

They have sacrificed simplicity in dialing -- a key safety feature -- for lots more "features" (aka trinkets). It is really tragic, not to mention astonishing. Some class action plaintiffs' lawyer is going to have a field day with this when he/she gets a hold of it. It really is an accident, not to mention a law suit, waiting to happen. Acura, are you out there? Are you listening? Crickets?
    well, those of us that wouldn't be spending another $3,500 or so for the tech package won't have to worry about these issues.

@stickguy

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I am assuming this was a friendly comment intended to be funny.

Can you verify that 7-step voice dialing is not required with non-Tech package 2013 Acuras? The Owners Manual (right-hand box on p. 215) and the instructions for HFL on the My Acura website seem to suggest that it's the same problem . . .
  • nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    Someone needs to come up with a switch or something to make the Nav system "think" that the vehicle is in Park. I'm thinking some electronics "whiz" could make this happen.
    I was just being humorous. I actually thought the voice dialing issue was specific to the tech package also, but it sounds like you get that with the base car also?

I have never had a car with built in bluetooth, so I would not have any benchmark to compare it to. or obviously, no obvious need for it.

I always wondered why they just don't integrate it into the passenger airbag sensor? If that says there is an adult (or fat kid!) in the passenger seat, then let the navi update on the fly.

At least my Garmin does not care what I am doing. Change it any time!

@nobo

I agree that the locking out the Navigation system when the car is moving is an annoyance, but as a safety matter I can at least understand the logic, even if I may not agree with it. I know there are other comments on this blog that get into that issue.

In the case of the very poor voice dialing in the 2013 RDX, the problem is just the opposite. Acura is taking something that was simple and safe and making it complicated and potentially dangerous. I would love to hear from some programmers or software engineers, but it strikes me that this is just lazy coding by Acura or its supplier. Even if it's technically "necessary," sacrificing straightforward voice dialing for the added features is just stupid. What driver would give up straightforward voice dialing for being able to fiddle with the a/c or radio by voice?
    Well, I guess I'm 'happy' that it's not just my lack of familiarity with the Tech package. :blush: Have had the vehicle just a few days(coming from XC60 before Sensus) and sure find it easier(so far) to skip the voice commands. I'm sure I'll warm up to the Tech system...DW absolutely loves the audio package and, for me, Basia never sounded better ;) . But, I've got a ways to go before I can wrangle the voice command thingy. I'm trying to 'forget' the Volvo nav set-up so I can work with the new package. I will say some of the nav features are pretty slick.
  • clint1970clint1970 Member Posts: 5
    I am a brand new owner (a few days) of a 2013 RDX AWD with Tech. I have no problems controlling the navigation while I'm driving. I changed the destination to this and that (using both voice command and pushing buttons) while I'm driving. I also was able to make phone calls via my connected Iphone while driving.

Aren't my findings contradicting all the posts here?? Am I missing something? Are these posts talking about something else? Did Acura already tweak things??
    @clint1970, #196

Welcome to the Edmunds forums. I can't speak to using Nav while moving, but my principal issue is with poor/cumbersome/dangerous voice dialing through the 2013 RDX. Can you tell us more clearly how you're using your phone system? What buttons are you using, and in what sequence?

I have an iPhone as well. It's possible on an iPhone to work around the Acura system and use the latter only as a speakerphone, but that kinda defeats the purpose, no?
    I am using a "Droid" phone. See Post #184 by "roadrunner" for sequence of events. One can speed up the process by pressing the talk button before each system prompt. This forces the "beep" avoiding the systems prompts, but does not reduce the number of steps. I have tried numerous methods to reduce the process which was 2 steps in my 2009 RDX Tech. My wife's 2012 MDX also uses the 2 step method. What also make the 2013 RDX worse is only 20 numbers can be transferred from the phone book to the voice tag phonebook. The previous RDX & MDX allow the transfer of 50 numbers.
    edited August 2012
    @ttwilliam, #198

Thanks for your response. No offense to you, but I don't know if your answer makes me want to laugh or cry. :) If I understand it, your method adds three ADDITIONAL button pushes in order to at least shorten the painfully SLOW time of the standard method Acura recommends. Good idea on the slowness issue, but I'm afraid this sounds at least as distracting -- and therefore dangerous -- as the standard method, if not more. AFAIK, before pressing the talk button as you suggest, the driver has to wait a second or two to make sure the prior command was heard and processed by the system. Quite a bit of aural choreography, no? And personally, I'd have to take piano lessons first!

Again, I want to emphasize that I don't mean to be critical of you. This is a ridiculous situation Acura has created, and you're just sharing the best workaround you've found. So thanks for that. It must drive you CRAZY that your wife's 2009 RDX is so much simpler to use for voice dialing!
  • tiaunntiaunn Member Posts: 2
    I just bout one and love it. I traded in my 2004 RSX with 105K miles on it, loved it but i got tired of squeezing the kids in the back, so it was time for an upgrade. And the 2013 RDX was a perfect choice. I did my homework and it beats just about everything in its price class.
    I do have the 2013 RDX, but not the tech package. I don't have to go through all these steps to make a phone call. It's not perfect by any stretch, but I just say "call home" -- not "dial by voice" or whatever.
    That is the way it should be...my 2009 RDX Tech was simple to use as is our 2012 MDX Tech. ACURA will lose sales if they don't correct the problem. And the navigation is just as bad. Recently had a destination problem and my wife could not re-program the navigation system while we were in motion & it was too distracting & time consuming to do it by voice recognition. The system is a joke and hopefully ACURA will come up with a software fix for those unfortunate enough to have purchased this turkey.
  • texan8899texan8899 Member Posts: 17
    I have the 2013 RDX, no Tech pkg, 6k to date. I love the car and the hands free dialing, I just say call home, work , wife, girlfriend etc. No problems even with my Queens accent. As far as NAV, my $200 TomTom works equally well.
    I (well, my wife gets it) just picked up a base model last night. The salesguy did sync her iphone for us, and we practiced receiving a call. But, have not tried to really use it yet to make a call, so will have to play with that this weekend.

and our Garmin works just fine too.

Well, we are still having the same issues with voice dialing on the 2013 RDX with Tech package. :(:( There doesn't seem to be any fix except to get an RDX without Tech. That is a sad state of affairs. And a big warning to anyone considering the Tech package. Don't do it -- unless you love gadgets more than convenience, and unless you don't mind being distracted for a while every time you make a call.

Save your money and your sanity and get a Garmin.
  • clint1970clint1970 Member Posts: 5
    I've had the AWD with Tech package for about 2 weeks now. I have no problems with the voice dialing nor the navigation. It might not behave exactly how one wants or is "used to", but I don't think it's that big a deal. In general, making/receiving calls and controlling the navigation is decent enough, although maybe not perfect. I highly recommend the Tech package. BTW, we love all other aspects of the RDX so far as well. Lack of AC vents in the rear seat is our biggest complaint.
    I'll agree about the voice activated system...I'm still learning it, but it does what I want so far. I'm a button-pusher anyway...just an old dog, I reckon. Our Scottie-girl will miss the rear seat ventilation, also. Haven't taken any long trips with her yet.

I will miss the 12v outlet in the cargo area...all the Volvos had that; but my biggest gripe so far is the horrible console compartment cover. While it's large enough and almost tall enough to be an arm rest, it opens about 60% and blocks my right arm from being able to reach in comfortably. The lid should be able to open to a full horizontal position, fully out of the way...and it could double as a tray or extra cup holders IF they wanted to copy one of the Volvo designs from a few years back.
    @clint1970, post #207.

Of course, everyone is entitled to his own opinion about the Tech package on the 2013 RDX, but two aspects of the current voice dialing seem to me to take this issue beyond the realm of just opinion. First, the greater number of steps in making voice-dialed calls means greater driver distraction and that's just a decrease in safety that can't be ignored. Not to mention that the greater number of steps also introduces more points of failure in the process, necessitating yet more steps and more distraction if any of the steps fails. Second, it's important to keep in mind that the new, more complicated voice-dialing on the 2013 RDX Tech package is a retrograde step. Acura has made voice dialing easier in the past, both on Tech packages and in the current 2013 RDX models without Tech. Now, we're going backwards! On a basic and important function in 2012, on $40,000 luxury car, where the Tech package alone costs about $4,000, going backwards is just unacceptable.

Again, you're entitled to your opinion, of course, and you may think the decrease is safety due to distraction is acceptable and that a backward step in voice dialing is not a big deal, but I hope you'll agree that these issues go far beyond the "gee, I wish the RDX came with white leather" kind of issue.
    I agree with you 100%. Add to that, the voice tag phonebook maxes out at 20 numbers compared to the previous 50 numbers. I have used factory OEM, after market hands free systems and more recently Bluetooth since the early 1990s. I don't recall any being as ridiculous and difficult to use as that in the 2013 RDX Tech. Except for some nit picking items, I would give the vehicle a 10 out of 10 rating. With the new Tech Bluetooth system I can only rate it as a 5. In this day in age communications for business is by far more important than changing radio stations and heater settings via voice recognition, and in that aspect the 2013 RDX Tech fails miserably.
    @ttwilliam, post #210

LOL! It's true after all, misery loves company!

I have been really shocked at the muted response the bad voice dialing on the 2013 RDX with Tech has been getting. By now, I would have thought there would be an uprising of dissatisfied owners. Maybe this will come later as the new Tech package gets rolled out across Acura's 2013 product line. Let's buy some popcorn and watch the fireworks!