Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Acura RDX

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    now I am curious to try out the voice dialing on our (5 day old) base model. We have phones synced, but no voice tags stored (at lest according to what the car tells me when I push that button). Will need some time with the owners manual this weekend.

this is our first integrated bluetooth, so auto dialing is new to us. So fear we have received calls, and made them out via the phone, and that works fine.

and not everyone trys to conduct business from the car, so it is not as big a deal for some as it is for others.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• 4mercoachrick4mercoachrick Member Posts: 133
    I suppose it is a bit more frustrating to those who A) Live and work in their cars and 2) Those who have had superior communications systems in previous vehicles. Personally, I can't think of more than 20 numbers I need on 'speed dial'...certainly not 50 ! I reckon a client list might produce those kinds of numbers, but, again, I'm not conducting business in the RDX. Coming from a pretty screwball Volvo 'Tech' system in the XC60, I find most of the features of the RDX system satisfying. I still REALLY don't like the console cubby cover...not one bit!(Stupid little shelf ;) ) . I'll agree that voice control of the HVAC is pretty silly.
  • lena16lena16 Member Posts: 7
    In purchasing a new vehicle I'm torn between the Volvo XC60 2012 and the RDX 2013. Since you are coming from an XC60 I'd love for you to be candid about a comparison between them. I test drove the XC60 for about 40 miles today and found that the suspension left a lot be desired. This car did not have voice dialing available to use which left a hole in my test driving experience. I believe the safety and safety features are better the XC. Am I wrong? New incentive as of today on a 2012 is 5 years or 60,000 full warranty. Did you have repairs frequently? Any information about your experience is appreciated.
    lena, it was a bit tough 'leaving' Volvo after 7 of our last 8 vehicles being Volvo(an RX330 in '06). The 'city safe' features on the XC60 are interesting, but not a requirement for us. BLIS is meh, IMO...the low-speed auto-brake 'might' come in handy, but I never needed it in 3.3 years/56000 miles. I seldom use cruise, but adaptive cruise is interesting on the open highway(part of Tech package, now, I believe).

So far, the suspension in the RDX is tighter, yet more compliant. On one particular entry into our neighborhood, the pavement transition is approached at an angle and the RDX is so much smoother across the uneven pavement...very noticeable, no 'shudder' with the RDX. The RDX feels tighter and smaller, but is virtually the same footprint and interior volume. We 'lost' a few hundred pounds by going with FWD instead of AWD(like our Volvo).

As I've mentioned over on SwedeSpeed, there are some touches I miss in the RDX, but also some improvements vs the XC60. No rear-seat ventilation or cargo 12v outlet available in the RDX. Except for the capacious console compartments, the RDX has fewer/smaller cubbies for 'stuff'(sunglasses, multi-tool, flashlight, etc...all have a place, just not quite as convenient, IMO). The rear seat-backs lie 'flat' in the RDX, but the floor is uneven because of the design...not a big deal, but the XC floor is dead flat for larger items.

I would absolutely choose the V6 in the RDX vs the 3.2 Volvo, but the RDX loses vs the T6(especially in the R-series XC). The RDX has plenty of power, but the 300 or 325hp in the Volvo is impressive(turbo boost vs n/a in the RDX). So far, the RDX is getting 10% better mileage is combined driving. I expect the highway mileage to be quite a bit better.

The purchase deals on the '12 XC60 are pretty slick, especially if Volvo is still picking up the first four payments($1800 max). The lease deals aren't quite as attractive, IMO; I 'saved' over $5000 in up-front cost on the '13 FWD RDX w/Tech vs a pretty comparable '12 3.2 Volvo. The key is in the residual value on the lease where Acura is way ahead. IF you are purchasing a '12 XC60 and holding on to it for 4+ years, then the deals currently offered are not bad at all.

How's that for NOT answering your question? :blush: Both are fine vehicles...Volvo has the performance edge if you want the T6 and especially if you want the R-design. Hard to beat that 300+ hp turbo! I 'barely' miss it and many days don't call on that kind of power at all. ;)
    To continue my story and address a couple of questions, here goes. The warranty 'bump' is a good spiff IF you plan to keep the vehicle. The standard warranty is 4ys/50K miles. More important, dollar-wise, is the Safe & Secure offer of all maintenance being covered by Volvo for X years. That adds up to quite a bit if you were to use dealer service to maintain your Volvo. The maintenance interval is 7500 miles on the '12, so they would be covering a half-dozen or so, depending on the current plan. That's in the range of $2K for 'by the book' maintenance over those years. Better than a poke in the eye. ;) Maintenance-wise, we had few issues; BUT, we did have three batteries during our three years. When a battery dies on the XC, the whole vehicle is DEAD...no door locks...no nuthin' ! Might have been isolated to our vehicle since I haven't heard of others with the same problem.

Safety-wise, the gap between Volvo and the other quality marques has closed considerably, IMO. Darned near any vehicle you would consider has a 5-Star safety rating. Doesn't mean some of the additional Volvo features aren't useful, it's just that it's not the 'steel cage' Volvo vs the 'tin can' imports any more. As I've mentioned in other posts, the voice-dialing feature is one I can live without, although the RDX sure has some nifty goodies built into the 'Tech' package. How often you'll need a Zagat rating to help find a restaurant, I don't know. ;) DW and I both like the Nav in the RDX much better than the XC, but ours was a '10 and Sensus has changed the Volvo nav experience.
  • fireplaceantfireplaceant Member Posts: 4
    We have a 2013 RDX that was delivered on June 30. We noticed today that the outside mirror on the passenger side is wobbly and doesn't respond to the controls. The mirror housing is ok, but the mirror itself seems to be loose. Anyone else had this problem? This is the second time we've had to take the car back to the dealership--the first time was to have a section of the rear hatch weatherstripping attached.
  • kkjmkkjm Member Posts: 4
    I've a 3 wks old 2013 RDX. Do not have the wobbly mirror problem. But noticed water residue near both the drain outlet on the left and the right side of the sunroof after rain. Do you also see something similar after rain?
  • fireplaceantfireplaceant Member Posts: 4
    No, I haven't noticed any water residue. But we're in a drought; I will watch for it the next time it rains.
    Drove through an absolute frog-strangler the day after I picked up ours. No leaks, no wobbling mirror. Can't say I've found any 'defects' in three weeks and 700 miles. ;)
    Hi - I don't mean leaks into the car. After rain / or car wash - then open up the sunroof, can you see water residue around the trench (front left and right) leading to the drain hole (front left and right). Thks.
    Dang kk, I've yet to climb on top of the vehicle after a rain or wash :D Actually, I've always made it a practice to leave the windows and sunroof closed after washing, just to keep things clean until they dry completely. I may get a wash today, so I'll check it out. We're also 'expecting' rain toward the end of the week(first time in a full MONTH), so I'll get another chance to take a peek. ;)
    I'm the same as you're i.e. keep sunroof closed after washing/rain - to keep it as it is until completely dry... until now. Out of curiosity after a recent rain in the NE - I opened the sunroof and discovered that the sunroof is not water tight. Again - it is not leaking into the car or similar - but I was surprised to see some water residue at the sunroof trenches leading (and around) to the drain hole. If you also see similar with your vehicle - then maybe this is normal (I hope). But if you don't see the water residue on your sunroof - then I may have a problem that I need to sort out with the dealership. Other than this. all is well with the vehicle.
  • steve9729steve9729 Member Posts: 1
    Did Acura fix your noise problem? How is your RDX AWD running now?
  • twwilliamtwwilliam Member Posts: 17
    The remote start for the 2013 RDX is now available. The only difference from the horrible system in our 2012 MDX (and all Honda vehicles) is it has a remote which replaces the keyless entry remote so one doesn't have to carry two remotes, one to start the car and one to unlock the doors. The problem is once the door is unlocked or opened it shuts down the engine which must be restarted once the door is closed.

I have used remote starts on my vehicles for 20 years and this is by far the worst of all the systems. The only reason I had it installed in the 2012 MDX is I incorrectly assumed the factory system is a plug-in unit like those on some "Detroit" cars. It isn't, and like better after market units, it requires several hours of pulling panels and running wires. Guess I will have to wait until a respected after market manufacturer develops a unit for the 2013 RDX?? This and the absurd phone/navigation system are as a previous owner stated is advancement in reverse. As an aside, a friend who has been in the aftermarket business for years and whose customers are mostly new and used car dealers with retail being secondary, told me some Honda & Acura dealers refuse to sell the "Honda" system because of customer complaints.
  • texan8899texan8899 Member Posts: 17
    I have 7500 miles on my 2013 RDX. The service advisor told me to wait till the oil life gauge got down to 5 pct. he stated that the break in oil is the best the car will have, and the longer it is in the engine the better it will protect it in the future. Apparently the break in oil has a higher zinc content which protects the metal parts from wear.

Anyone else received similar advise?
    We have only 2K miles on ours; but I'd be looking to change the oil for the potential cold starts that will hit most of us before too many more weeks...IF I had your kind of mileage. As it is, we'll likely get through the 'winter' here in Austin before swapping the oil for spring.

So far, no one has suggested anything other than the factory schedule for service at my dealer. I know Volvo has upped the interval to 10K miles since switching to full synthetic in some of the 2013 models(perhaps all).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited October 2012
    People have been posting about Honda "break-in" oil around here for a decade. For example - Honda Accord Engine Break-in and First Oil Change Questions (second paragraph of Post 80).

Makes sense to follow the owner's manual but old habits die hard.
  • elle18elle18 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

Got my New 2013 RDX AWD with Tech 2 weeks ago.
    Now I am having problem opening the tailgate.
    The keyless remote opens the tailegate with a small gap but close right away.
    The button inside the car that's suppose to open the tailgate doesn't work.
    The only way to open the tailgate is by using the button in the rear of the tailgate.
    It does not automatically open I have to pull it up to open it.
    Just want to know if anyone is experiencing this problem.

Thanks!
  • bertramkbertramk Member Posts: 4
    I ran into this issue. to open from the inside you have to make sure ALL of the doors are unlocked then the inside button will work and the tailgate will open.
    I haven't had the problem; but going in to the system and choosing another open/lock preference might re-set it if bertram's idea doesn't clear it up.
  • june159june159 Member Posts: 1
    We are in NJ where there's been a gas shortage due to the devastation of Hurricane Sandy. We have always used premium gas on our 2012 RDX. But there doesn't appear to be any premium gas available. Will it damage the car/engine if we use regular gas this one instance?
  • albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    Hope you are making it through the wrath Mother Nature has dispensed on the Garden State.

Here is a press release by Honda that addresses your question - go to the section titled "fuel tank and driving range". In short, regular will not hurt your engine. You may sense a bit less power but that is normal and not a problem.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=6554-en

Also, can you comment on which dealer you got your car from and if you were satisfied? In the market for an RDX and will be a bit delayed due to the storm.

Also - when looking for gas, sign up for Nixle - just Google - where I live, they have sent a few gas alerts - stations that have fuel and those that are out along with some estimated wait times. Similar to the online "Patch" publication.
  • albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    Carman,

A bit delayed in my pursuit for an RDX due to both the storm and the initial pricing I got from dealers which was unacceptable.

Can you tell me typically what time of the year one would typically get the best price on a car - in my case, a lease? Someone told me Dec 31 is the best day as a dealer may sell well below cost to hit volume goals and collect 6 figure incentive checks from the manufacturer.

If not Dec 31, other times of the year where pricing is typically better?

Thanks,
    edited November 2012
    Car_Man hangs out over in Prices Paid.
  • djsturndjsturn Member Posts: 3
    After looking at every small luxury SUV on the market I had decided on the Acura RDX, that is until someone pointed out the empty slot where it appears a rear a/c vent should be. That is driving me crazy! It makes the car look like it is unfinished. I would like thoughts from those of you who have bought the RDX on that empty slot. Of course I also think Acura will put the a/c vent in the slot for 2014 and that would make matters worse for me if I bought the 2013. What did the dealer tell you that slot was for?

Thanks for the comments. OCD is a terrible thing to have! LOL!
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    It doesn't bother me in the least. I don't carry backseat passengers often so consider that. However, had many cars over the years that didn't have vents in the back of the console and did carry kids and nobody died or even were that uncomfortable. If it is really something that you have to have then I would say look at something else.
    I knew it didn't have the rear vents, so I've not really noticed the 'gap'. Our little Scottie-girl will likely miss the rear A/C when we take a long trip in hot weather. The sloping cargo deck will bother her a bit, as well. She's not spoiled or anything. ;) Can't say we've ever used the rear vents for people...at least not in 40 months in the XC60; but Katie-girl enjoys the cool air on long trips. I'd likely pick a full-time 12v outlet in the cargo area before the rear vents, IF they asked me.
  • isixisix Member Posts: 2
    Help please! I just bought a new RDX. I tried to practice back in in my building's garage. I found twice that when I tried to back in (reverse), the engine suddenly became very loud. It's much lourder than normal. Anyone has the same problem? Is this normal for Acura's car? Or should I go to dealer and check it? What problem it might be? Thank you so much!
    Not normal. suggest you take it to the dealer ASAP
  • kawaii519kawaii519 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2013 RDX for less than a month. I love love love my car except for one thing. I use the ignition start button (my old car didn't have the feature), but on two separate occassions it has stalled.

It's not a huge concern, but I don't want it to become one. Maybe I'm pressing the button or pedal too lightly or for not enough time. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

One more thing, is it me or is the range for the garage/gate remote system really poor. I have to be in front of my gate to get it to read. With my old car, it would read from 20 ft away.
    Our three month old RDX has had no such problems with the start/stall. The range on our 'Homelink' isn't as good as our recent Volvos'; but it's a lot better than 20 feet.

Our '10 XC60 had an early stall problem that Volvo took action on through a dealer bulletin; but I've not heard of that snafu with Acura. You might post over on Acurazine where a WHOLE bunch of Acura geeks hang out. ;)
    My Homelink distance is only up to about 20ft as well. My previous car with Homelink worked all the way to the end of the driveway which is about 60ft.
    I will check my homelink next time I drive it, but I think it works from the end of the driveway, which is I think about 20'. Plenty for me!

• jjjones85jjjones85 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    dmclone1, i just took my 2013 RDX to the dealership to have my bluetooth audio issue fixed as well. I have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 and bluetooth audio worked 100% on my 2010 RDX, but sounds horrible on my 2013 RDX. They have not seen this issue before (it is a brand new car), but they said Acura released a software update for the radio system, so they updating that now. I will post back once I am able to test after the software update.

Anyone else noticing bluetooth audio (Music) problems with their 2013 RDX?
  • rdx2013ownerrdx2013owner Member Posts: 1
    I bought mine last week in white for $1200 below MSRP and no dealer fees. Very happy with my purchase and how this car drives.
    :)
    Have to say, this is way too small for travelling with a family. especially when your wife is a heavy traveller (lots of stuff), and is bringing coolers of homemade food for Christmas dinner.

with the 2 kids and all the stuff, the RDX is overflowing. Forget about seeing out the back, that is a solid wall of junk to the roof. And good thing the kids are skinny, because there is absolutely the minimum width left to squeeze them in. And most likely they will have stuff piled up on top of them after they are buckled in!

at least they won't fight about anything, since there is a wall of soft stuff between them high enough that they won't be able to see each other!

We may have downsized from the Odyssey 1 year too early. I did try to warn the wife when she picked the RDX that it was smaller than any of the other options we were looking at.

but somehow, I got it all in and the hatch is closed. Afraid to think what will happen when we get to the first stop and have to open it!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,812
    edited December 2012
    SPROINGGGGG

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Next door neighbors are headed out in their Pilot Christmas morning...1800 miles each way(someplace in Canada...too cold for me!). Mom, Dad, 3 boys 13, 16, 20 and a fair amount of stuff. They added a smallish trailer hitch platform for a little extra capacity. Guess they won't be bringing back any elk meat on this trip!

I can't believe there were FIVE of us kids in the back of the station wagon for MANY trips during the '60s!
    We're doing 1,000 miles today and tomorrow and took the Outback in case we hit weather (lousy all-seasons on the minivan). Even though we're traveling light it feels a bit claustrophic. The extra 5 or mpgs are nice I suppose.

Only Acuras that passed me today were MDXs though.
  • jfine67jfine67 Member Posts: 1
    i have a samsung galaxy s2, had 2010 mdx no problems, this one is giving me problems with the connection. besides the fact that the text feature doesnt work obnly bothers me a little. but to have the blue tooth always a pain to connect is pissing me off
    When I purchased a 2009 RDX in 2010, I had a problem matching my Bluetooth Motorola ATRIX 4G. Someone from ACURA mentioned there was a special department which troubleshoots phone/Bluetooth sync problems. I called and the customer tech rep I talked to was able to talk me through a rather complicated (phone) reprogramming sequence. The problem was fixed in a matter of minutes. Unfortunately I don't remember the department or phone number. I only wish my phone worked as well with my new 2013 RDX. . The new ACURA Bluetooth & navigation systems SUCK and can only be remedied by ACURA revising their software. Unfortunately they won't in the name of "safety." The new systems produce just the opposite, force users into unsafe situations.
  • pappatiddspappatidds Member Posts: 1
    Of the two, the CRV is superior. Bought the outback and if you are thinking of doing the same, make sure you go to the outback forum and read about highway drift. If you can keep the vehicle between the white lines on the highway at 65+ mph you are a better person than most. And on bumpy pavement expect to lose at least one or two fillings
  • strykmestrykme Member Posts: 5
    We are looking to buy RDX shortly, I and my wife are having a hard time deciding between Tech or no Tech. We never had any of the options (except the fog lights) that the tech package offers and sure that we will not miss them, but I would like to get people's opinion on the "usefulness" of the tech package in their experience with the car.

Thank you
    The Tech package in my 2009 RDX (and with my wife's 2012 MDX) was great, but not so with my 2013 RDX. Missing is the SH-AWD..it has the basic AWD which doesn't bother me as much as the 2013 Bluetooth hands free and the navigation package. Had I known the subtle, but important changes, I would have not purchased the car. The Bluetooth phone system only accepts 20 voice tag phone numbers (vs. 50 on my 2009 & my wife's 2012 MDX). Not only that, but one can only access the complete phonebook when the car is stopped..not moving. Same holds true for the Navigation system...not even the passenger can change it while car is in motion. And attempting to change it via voice is MORE distracting than doing the old system manually. As far as I'm concerned, you are better off saving money by not buying Tech...instead buy a good Smartphone or IPad with GPS and a top of the line Bluetooth (Parrot). You could even add a good aftermarket remote start (the ACURA system is awful) for less than the Tech package.
  • strykmestrykme Member Posts: 5
    thank you twwilliam, in the past we've always went with mid range car and mid range model, this time around we were thinking of going fully loaded, but the Tech package did not look very impressive to me and wondering if at least one of those options would make me happy in spending extra 4K, seems like it would not.
    I agree with most of what the previous poster said. The base RDX also has bluetooth and the tech packatge doesn't upgrade the bluetooth much at all from what the base has. Ditto the previous poster on the nav. I have the tech and have only used the nav a couple of times and it is not very user friendly. I hardly ever use the fog lights because I pretty much forget they are even there to tell you the truth. The only think I do use, and like, is the power rear door but I certainly could do without it. I think if I had it to do over again I would have skipped the tech pkg.
    I failed to mention that the fog/driving lights are basically useless. This is because of ridiculous fed/state laws which allow them to only on with low beam headlights. Recently was in a heavy snow squall. Both low & high beam high-power headlights in this situation are worse than no lights at all. Based on experience If one could only use the fog/driving lights, visibility would be much improved. As it was, I was only able to proceed slowly with just parking and front daylight lights on. This also applies to heavy fog.
  • texan8899texan8899 Member Posts: 17
    I have the 2013 RDX no tech. Great car, have had for almost one year and now has 11k miles. Most problems I read on this forum seem to concern the tech add ons. I am glad I did not opt for the additional problems. Raise the hatch with your arm and get some exercise. Spend a hundred dollars of your savings on a Garmin and you will not regret it. Good luck
  • newronewro Member Posts: 21
    I just took delivery of a 2013 RDX without tech package. I came out of a 2010 TL and have had Acura's forever. To my surprise, while pairing up my iPhone I discovered that you have to select a number to call from the phonebook manually, in other words no voice activation as I had with the TL. What a huge step back this is and honestly its downright dangerous as you have to take your eyes off the road in order to scroll through a phone book and pick out the desired number and then hit the call button. What in the world was Acura thinking about with this set up? Does anyone know if there is a fix for this or a planned software up grade. I have to say that had I known about this before I bought the car, I would not have gotten this car, I would have gotten the Murano,. Big disappointment.
    you sure? I have never bothered to do it, but do remember that there are instructions in the manual about setting up your voice tags (or whatever they are called) so that you can use the voice commands.