Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT

bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
This car is coming soon, and supposedly Hyundai has made sporty steering and suspension this time. :) I had just about decided on a Mazda3 SkyActiv hatch, but first I think I'll head to the NY Auto Show in a couple of weeks to check the GT out up close. Release is sometime this summer (no date yet). Any thoughts about this vehicle?

Comments

• chickraechickrae Member Posts: 44
    I don't know much about it but it makes me want to wait before getting a 2012 Elantra in about 3 weeks. I also am interested in the mazda3 skyactiv and a couple other cars. I guess I am really undecided. I don't really like hatchbacks so it may not be for me.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    I won't buy anything that isn't a hatchback myself. I bought a 2004 Mazda3 hatch, and have since sworn off trunks as too annoying. My current ride is an annoyingly anonymous Elantra Touring, and it doesn't really live up to "sporty" handling. The suspension is on the stiff side, but it doesn't quite handle well enough to make up for it. And the steering, while weighted OK, is completely disconnected from the road. Now, i hear the new Elantra is supposed to be an improvement, but I haven't driven one yet. Mostly because I refuse to buy something with a trunk on it. :shades:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I hope Hyundai has the GT for you to see at the New York Auto Show. They didn't have one at the Greater Twin Cities Auto Show, which surprised me since it already debuted in Chicago weeks earlier.

I've owned a 2004 GT hatch for 8 years and it's been a great car. My son drives it to/from college now. I have the 2013 GT on my shopping list for my next car, which will probably be a hatch (unless I'm smitten by the new Dart).

I am hoping there's a low-end GT available without all the doo-dads, just a nice dollop of useful equipment such as 16" alloys, Bluetooth, cruise, maybe audio controls on the wheel. Leather covered wheel and shifter would be nice also, since it's a GT and the old GTs had that standard. Also I hope that the sport-tuned suspension isn't too hard.
    I want everything. Except that panoramic greenhouse thing, i could do without that. But if the thing is bowing this summer, the thought that they'd skip NY...wow, that would be truly evil. Maybe I can find out ahead of time though...
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Here's a link or two to what Hyundai has released about it so far.

No pricing though...

http://hyundainews.com/us/en-us/2013/Elantra-GT/Features.aspx

http://hyundainews.com/us/en-us/2013/Elantra-GT/Overview.aspx
    I don't see xm radio listed. I am assuming it doesnt have it.
    The hatchback is a deal breaker for me. I like my things hidden in the trunk.
    It's a nice looking car however.
    Autonet 172-Watt AM/FM/XM® Satellite Radio/CD/MP3 audio system with six speakers (two front-door-mounted speakers, two tweeters and two rear speakers) STD
    180-Watt (45 X 4 channels) 7” Navigation system with High Resolution Touchscreen with rearview camera, AM/FM/SiriusXM Satellite Radio/CD/MP3 Audio System1 OPT

It's on both stereo options. Nice to see a manufacturer make it available globally rather than forcing you into an upgraded stereo. Or worse, forcing you to buy navigation like Subaru...and they force you to buy a sunroof just to get the navigation system, so to get XM you have to buy a sunroof so you can buy the navigation system so you can get XM. :sick:
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    If you don't like the hatchback, maybe the Coupe would interest you...

http://hyundainews.com/us/en-us/2013/Elantra-Coupe/Highlights.aspx
    Plus there's always the sedan, right?
    There's a cargo cover so your stuff in back is always hidden (unless you choose to remove the cargo cover)--but there's more cargo capacity in back than with the sedan or coupe.
    ok great xm radio. I guess I missed reading that.

So is there a sedan in the Elantra GT? Or is it a hatchback only.

I guess I need to wait till it comes out and test drive it, or just get the 2012 Elantra GLS like my gut feeling is telling me.
    It's hatchback-only. That's the whole point of it. The Elantra is the regular sedan. The Elantra Coupe is the 2-door with a trunk. The Elantra GT is a 5 door thing-that-isn't-a-hatch-because-Americans-don't-buy-hatches.

If you're one of these people opposed to non-trunks, I suggest checking out the Elantra sedan and Coupe. The Coupe should have slightly sportier suspension than the sedan. The sedan is probably more geared towards comfort.
    The SE coupe is supposed to get a "sport-tuned suspension" and 17" wheels, ala the GT. The base GS coupe looks like it will have the same suspension as the sedan.
    edited March 2012
    5 door meaning the rear door opens to one side instead of lifting up like a hatch? Either way there isnt' an actual trunk, which is what I want so the sedan is what I need to get. I just wish I would see more positives from people on here about the Elantra. Everyone I guess got if for the great mileage it was suppose to have and apparantly it doesnt have what it claims to. I wish people would list the other things they do like about it. The gas mileage is important, but it's not #1 for me. I want something stylish, a good warranty, xm, comfortable for long trips and fun to drive.
    Apparently the mileage reports are very VERY variable with the Elantra's 1.8L engine, and that's giving me pause too:the Mazda3's high MPGs seem to be a bit more repeatable but in that case I'm worried about the durability of an engine running at 12:1 compression. Whatever iissues I have with my Elantra Touring (and there are many) it's been bulletproof when it comes to reliability.
    I am going to test drive the mazda 3 skyactiv in a couple weeks before I make a decision about the elantra. Also, reading about the complaints in the steering, not precise etc.
    So for the most part you like the Elantra touring then. How long have you had it
    3 years, and I don't like it. I said it was bulletproof. But the steering is vague and disconnected, the suspension is too stiff, the engine is underpowered, and the 4 speed automatic transmission sucks.
    5 door meaning the rear door opens to one side instead of lifting up like a hatch?

"5-door" is a term commonly used to describe a car with 4 doors plus a liftgate/hatch... in the back.

I just wish I would see more positives from people on here about the Elantra.

Lessee... It was the North American Car of the Year. It was a finalist for Motor Trend's Car of the Year. It's selling in record numbers, such that Hyundai dealers don't have to slap big discounts on it anymore as they did with previous generations. It has (arguably) class-leading exterior and interior styling. It has class-leading or near class-leading interior room, mid-sized by EPA standards. It has lots of feature content for the money. It has smooth 6-speed transmissions. Smooth ride, nice braking (with 4 wheel discs standard). Roomy trunk. Industry-leading warranty. Excellent EPA fuel economy ratings for its class... and yes, "YMMV".

So it seems to have everything on your list except maybe "fun to drive". And you are the best judge of whether it's fun enough to drive. You might find cars like the Mazda3, Golf, or Focus more fun to drive in this class. But each has its tradeoffs.
  • tsqrtsqr Member Posts: 1
    Where is the 2013 Elantra GT for USA being manufactured?
    It needs the Velositer 1.6 Turbo to be a great car! I would buy one today
    One of the reasons I kept looking at the Elantra is because it was "car of the year" and also because a good friend bought one and has had it almost a year and doesn't have one complaint. I wasn't hesitant at all to buy one till I got on this site and started reading everyone's complaints. In two weeks I will being test driving the elantra again, mazda 3 skyactiv, honda civic. I will come home with a car that weekend. I have taken the corolla off my list and never really considered the focus, because I don't like how it looks. Hopefully the elantra will be "fun to drive". Not as fun as my mustang probably.
    Pick any car and I'll provide multiple URLs to discussions on how bad it is. ;)

No car is perfect. Your mission is to find the car that meets your needs best, within your budget. And I bet no matter what car you end up buying, you'll find something about it you don't like, sooner or later.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    The biggest knock on the Elantra is poor fuel economy. Many owners expect better mileage than they are achieving and have gotten upset.

Overall it's a good car and worth a test drive.
    I think the "poor fuel economy" knock on the Elantra is way overblown. There are many people, myself included, who get very good fuel economy with the Elantra. There are some who don't. You can look at discussions on competitors like the Mazda3, Focus, and Impreza and see the same kind of thing: "I'm not getting the fuel economy I expected!"

IMO the biggest knock on the Elantra isn't the unmet expectations on fuel economy for some owners, but the handling. Not terrible, but not as crisp as, for example, the Mazda3, Focus, or Golf. But the GT is going to have adjustable steering feel and sport-tuned suspension, so it should be more of a driver's car than the sedan.
    The Mazda3 and Hyundai Elantra GT are going to be cross-shopped a LOT I figure: their target markets are the same, similar HP, similar MPGs, similar designs, and even their power to weight ratios are extremely close (something like a 0.3 lb per HP difference). But Hyundai does seem to have stuffed more stuff into their model for each dollar, including auto climate control (which can't be had with a Mazda3 SkyActiv) and telmatics (which Mazda doesn't have the ability to offer). Of course, there's that sweet Mazda transmission, steering, and suspension combo...
    And don't forget the Xm radio which is standard in the elantra. I agree I think that Hyundai does have many more features then the other comparable brands. I need to do a longer test drive on the Elantra. I didn't notice anything wrong with the steering.
    I don't think the Elantra's steering will be an issue for most drivers. If someone goes canyon-carving a lot, they might notice it. In the kid-schlepping, errand-running, commuting-on-congested-highways driving most people do, I think the Elantra's steering is just fine. There's no canyons where I live. :)

I am curious how the GT will steer and ride compared to the sedan. The old GT, which I own (2004), had a distinctly firmer ride than the GLS sedan. It had "sport-tuned suspension" but I don't think the steering was any different. The tires were the same size as the GLS sedan also, 15" (albeit with alloys). 17" wheels will be available on the GT, and not only is the suspension "sport-tuned" but the steering is supposed to have 3 different settings, which to my knowledge is a first in this class. I think I'll like a crisper steering feel compared to the sedan, but not sure I'll like a firmer suspension since I drive on a lot of bad roads. If they can figure out how to firm up the ride while maintaining compliance, ala cars like the Focus and Golf, that will be welcome. I'll stick to the 16" standard wheels on the GT though, to put a little more rubber and air between me and the road.
    I'm waiting to hear about colors and packages. Particularly since the sport suspension is packaged with 17 inch wheels and the panoramic sunroof. I'm thinking I'd prefer 16 inch wheels for the same reason but I might want the sport suspension, and I might NOT want that monster sunroof. Wheels of course would be easy to swap out, but that sunroof is an entirely different story.

ANd of course, I'm hoping there's a nice obnoxious metallic red or blue available :shades:
    Likely both red and blue. Red for me please--that's what my 2004 GT is (Race Red). :)
    Yes but will either be METALLIC? The regular Elantra only has oneetallic I think: a light blue.
    The red on the sedan is metallic, blue is also. I like the Desert Bronze on the Elantra sedan also, with the tan interior. Not as flashy as red or blue, but not the same-old gray and silver.

My Race Red is not metallic but I like it anyway. My favorite is the medium red pearl offered by some companies e.g. GM.
    Ok I was going by the brochure and the site, don't want to go to the dealer here until I'm ready to buy, they always make me feel like i need to spend an hour in the shower afterwards.

I like the Blue Sky Metallic though it's a little light for me, and I don't think beige interior is the right choice for that exterior color (I think a grey or black interior would work MUCH better).

If the Indigo Night is also metallic that would look GREAT with a grey interior like with the sedan. I could see the Red Allure working with beige, black is getting a little boring. But I hope that's also a metallic.

How dark is the grey? I hate silver, but a gunmetal-style grey might be nice. I just can't see myself driving a beige car with a beige interior though.

Now watch them decide that in the GT, all interiors will be black because black is considered "sporty." :sick: They could end up with an entirely different set of paint options for the GT also, I guess.
    There could very well be unique paint colors for the GT. I wouldn't mind orange metallic, ala what Honda offers on the Fit.

Re beige cars--I've had "champagne" cars before, and the great thing about them is they hide dirt well. But kinda boring. The Desert Bronze is not beige; it seems like in-between grey and brown. And it is pearlescent so it looks great in the sun and takes on different hues depending on the light. The photos on the Web don't do it justice. Still, probably a better color on the sedan vs. the GT. Might not even be offered on the GT.
  • winwin3winwin3 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    This is probably the most in depth car review you'll ever read on the GT, or i30, as it's called in Europe. http://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=13340.0

If you also look in that forum, the reviewer also puts up a couple comparisons as well.

I think this car looks fantastic. It just recently one best UK car for Carbuyer.co.uk. Here's their video review of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WDrp-g3bHM
    Thanks for posting that review! Although it's not directly comparable to what we'll get here since we'll be getting a different engine (the 1.8L GDI vs. the 1.4 GDI and the TDI in the UK car), it did answer some questions for me, such as:

* Is the load floor flat, with the flip-up rear seat bottom? Apparently not, as the reviewer said there was an incline. Will have to see how obtrusive it is. I'd prefer a flat load floor, ala Focus.

* How's the stick shift? That got positive remarks from the reviewer. Hopefully we'll get the same setup.

* How's the interior quality of the base model? Seems very good, although no way to tell if the UK base model is what we'll get as the base model.

* How's ride quality and noise? Seems like a smooth-riding, quiet car, at least with the 16" wheels (which is what I'd get).

* How's the Bluetooth? Seems to work very well. That is an issue on some cars.

Interesting that the reviewer thought the 1.4L was peppy, since it has less power than what we'll get here. So the 1.8L should be just fine for people like me who have no need to grossly exceed legal limits with regularity. :)

The issue with the FE meter peaking at 50 mpg is weird... I've never seen a limit that low. My Sentra maxes out at 60, and I often peg that out when coasting, going down grades etc. I've seen others (including on a Grand Caravan I owned!) that maxed out at 99 mpg. It's not really an issue for average FE, but certainly for instantaneous mpg.
    Looks like the improved the steering some, that's a concern of mine. Sounds like the ride with the standard suspension and 16 inch wheels is good and sporty, I'm guessing the 17 inchers and extra sporty suspension might be too stiff (and I'm not sure I want that monster heavy sunroof anyway). Gauge cluster looks nice. I wonder when they'll release 2013 brochures, this is bound to be in there.
    ...but wouldn't an Elantra GT Turbo with the 1.6L Turbo out of the Veloster Turbo be SOO VERY NICE? :shades:
    Hyundai needs to save something for 2014. ;)
    You know they're going to announce it right AFTER I buy my Elantra GT, right? :cry:
    I'll be sure to tell you how fun it is when I buy one in mid-2013. :D
    If I can wait that long I'll be getting one too. Then again, if I can't wait there's always the Veloster Turbo, depending on how the MPGs work out. They're estimating 38 MPG highway for the manual.
    Ok, just got back from the NY Auto Show, where they had both the Veloster Turbo and the Elantra GT for me to drool over. And then I looked at the info sheet for the GT. Particularly the last part:

Style Package:
    * 17 inch alloy wheels
    * Sport tunes suspension
    * Panoramic Sunroof
    * Front side mirrors with turn signals.
    * Leather seats, steering wheel, shift knob
    * Power seats
    * Aluminum pedals
    * One touch up driver's window

Technology Package:
    * Requires Style Package
    * Nav
    * Rear camera
    * Auto climate control
    * Smart key (or whatever Hyundai calls it)
    * Automatic headlights

So basically, in order to get any of the cool options, you must also get the monsterous panoramic sunroof. And that's one thing that I was most definitely not impressed with. It's too big, the design forces the front to retract over the rear, it's heavy, it's likely that it'll heat up the car quite a bit in the sun, and the only shading is a thin piece of fabric that acts as a blackout shade, and it's over an inch from the glass. As well as being a bit cheap. I'd really prefer to avoid that sunroof if I can but they're also requiring a panoramic sunroof on the Veloster Turbo in order to get the rear camera (luckily that's adding a much smaller amount of glass). Did someone at Hyundai get a discount on sunroof glass or something?
    You mean not even the leather-covered wheel and shift knob are standard on the GT, as on the old one? No sport-tuned suspension standard, as on the old one? Not even a one-touch-up driver's window standard?? That's a really basic GT! What's "GT" about it? :confuse:

I don't need nav/rear camera/auto climate/smart key/auto headlights/aluminum pedals/power seat/leather seats/panoramic sunroof. But I wouldn't mind the turn signals in the mirrors (safety), sport tuned suspension (but with 16" wheels), one-touch-up windows, and leather wheel/shifter. At least maybe the base price will be pretty reasonable, as de-contented as it is.

Did you see anything about the GT that you LIKED?
    Driving position, dash, center stack design, steering wheel, back seat room, seat comfort, cargo capacity. I just don't like the way they're packaging the options, partially because I REALLY don't like the panoramic sunroof. I like sunroofs in general but I think the panoramic one is overkill.

Guess we can hope there will be some non-package options, but the GT's auto climate is supposed to come with automatic humidity control, which I DO want, along with the smart key and the power leather seats (what can I say, I spend over 2 hours a day in the car).

Supposedly the GT gets a sportier suspension tune than the sedan by default, and the optional "sport" suspension should really be called "sportier suspension." Supposedly.
    Guess we can hope there will be some non-package options...

Not likely except for stuff that can be added by the dealer like a Homelink mirror, mudflaps etc.

From what I've read, including your eyewitness report, it appears the GT will come with adjustable steering feel standard, but not the sport-tuned suspension. Which if true is... odd.
    on hyundaiusa.com. I priced out the GT with no options except floor mats, Volcanic Red with beige interior (yessss!), and the pricer said Total MSRP = $18,490 with the note, "Total MSRP includes freight charges and current customer rebate." However, it showed freight charge as 0 (also rebate was 0). Hmmm. I hope the total is only $18,490 including freight, that would be very reasonable for a car with its equipment level, which includes:

* 6 speed manual
    * 16" alloys
    * DSSM (driver selectable steering mode)
    * fog lights
    * remote keyless entry
    * 7 airbags
    * tilt/telescope steering column with audio and cruise on the wheel
    * Blue Link telematics
    * Bluetooth
    * 6 speaker stereo with satellite radio and USB/aux inputs
    * heated front seats (!)
    * sliding center armrest
    * lots more

So pretty much everything I need, except I wouldn't mind leather wheel/shifter and turn signals in the mirrors. Also noted something weird on the options: driver's auto up window is part of a $2750 package! C'mon, how much can that cost to add? Even my 2010 Sentra S has that feature!
    In order to get any of the option stuff at all you have to get that monstrous sunroof. Given how thin the shade is for it, it's not going to block any solar heating of the car. I want nothing to do with it, which means i won't be considering one. On the other hand, the Veloster isn't quite as bad about forcing the sunroof down your throat to get "stuff" and said sunroof is smaller anyway. Of course, there's a lot of glass area on the hatch itself...
    Well, fortunately all the stuff I really have to have is standard, so I don't need to worry about any packages. Can't wait until they arrive at dealers so I can drive one. Hopefully there'll be more MTs in the mix than for the sedans--those are impossible to find in my area. When I find one, it's sold by the time I can get to the dealership to drive it.

One thing I like is that the red/beige combo is available on the GT. That combo is not available on some other hatches e.g. Mazda3i.
    Ok, two points of reference here: I currently drive an Elantra Touring that I need to redline to get any power, an with a transmission that sometimes likes to stop and think before it shifts. Before that, I drove a red 2004 Mazda3 with verve, passion, and quite a lot of joy. Supposedly this is Hyundai's target with the new GT.

They missed.

The car drives well enough. Shifts smoothly, takes corners reasonably flat, and Hyundai's getting better at putting feel in their steering. The engine is definitely short of torque, particularly at the low end, and you can feel it. You have to rev it up to get a quick power surge, and it's difficult to maintain some speeds on an uphill grade without downshifting. I honestly didn't notice any difference between the indy rear on the Touring and the torsion beam on the GT, which means they either did a good job on the GT, or a bad job on the Touring. Or maybe a little bit of both.

Is it more fun than the Touring or a Corolla? Yeah. Is it to the level of a Mazda3 or Focus? No, it's still far short. This one didn't have the upgraded "sport" suspension, but it would have to be a LOT more "sport" to make a difference. The car is competent, but if Hyundai wants to play in the zoom-zoom crowd they need to keep practicing. And maybe put in the 2.0L DI version of the Nu. Or even the 1.6L Gamma-T. But they need to find some low-end torque somewhere.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the 1.6L Turbo in the GT pretty soon. It's a natural fit for the car, for folks like you who need more power and torque to go with the looks.

Did you drive the automatic or stick? It appears it was the automatic. The stick might provide more responsiveness.

How much feel did the steering have on the highway? That is a problem with electric steering on many cars.

How was the ride? How did it handle bumps and transitions? Floaty or buttoned down on the highway?

What options if any were on the car? Or was it a base model, no packages?

Did you check out the rear seat? How was the leg room and head room?

Me, I'm mostly after the FE, utility, and a nice interior. IMO the GT's interior is light years ahead that of the Mazda3's, from photos at least. Plus the fold-flat rear seats for lots of hauling room. But the Mazda3 is a blast to drive, especially with the stick.

BTW... any car would be more fun to drive than a Corolla. :P