Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010-11 Legacy Shimmy Issue??

almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
Interesting that I Have not seen the Shimmy issue posted here. I don't have this condition in my 2010 Legacy 2.5i Premium as a CPO in Feb 2011, but it is posted on another forum: LegacyGT.com. There apparently are hundreds of posts concerning a severe to moderate Shimmy vibrating from the front and/or rear end of 2010 - 11s. In fact, Subaru came out with TSB to address correcting the issue involving Road Force Balancing the wheels and also replacing Steering components.

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    Oh, it was discussed quite a bit about a year+ ago. I'm thinking they must have resolved it in the newer builds, though, because otherwise there would be new users in search of some sort of remedy. I don't recall the exact thread (if not several), but the 2010+ Legacy/Outback thread would be a good one to start....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • willy999willy999 Member Posts: 2
    Have had the same problem with my 2011 Limited. Checked the inside of the alloy wheels and found considerable winter dirt had accumulated. Went to the car wash and power washed and rinsed the inside of the wheels. Moved the car ahead half a tire length to do the other half. Problem solved!
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Have had the same problem with my 2011 Limited. Checked the inside of the alloy wheels and found considerable winter dirt had accumulated. Went to the car wash and power washed and rinsed the inside of the wheels. Moved the car ahead half a tire length to do the other half. Problem solved!

To alleviate this problem in the future, you should try waxing the inside of the rims.
  • johnpa2006johnpa2006 Member Posts: 2
    THis is so funny, it made me think of the scene in My Cousin Vinny, when they get into the hillbilly town and the old man walks up to joe pesci and tells him he has mud in his tires.
    Such a little thing like that can make the car shake a highway speeds. This has happened on my Civic, and on my wifes Forester. Its not a unique problem to the Legacy, but the premium wheels just hide the debris inside them better.

Im so glad I read this forum post. Thank you all.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I've had ice on wheels throw the balance off badly. I clean and even wax my wheels now, so ice doesn't stick.
  • sonoma95446sonoma95446 Member Posts: 1
    On top of making the dealer follow through with all service bulletins ditch the Bridgestones as the stock ones are garbage. They are imbalanced side to side which can not be fixed. Replacing mine with Michelin Pilot Sport Unidirectionals took care of 90% of the [problem and through Tire Rack it was not so bad. I then had it dynamically balanced at Subaru and have been sliding through turns with a big grin ever since. I have a 2010 Legacy with the 3.6 and needed a transmission recall reprogram and the steering wheel fix. It was a 2 year mess and when it was don eI can say I am extremely happy as with the electronic controls the car behaves very neutral with that big engine in the front. No oversteer as expected and with the Michaelines a very good road feel and easily corrected slide if you are hauling it around turns. I love it.