Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe

Comments

• gclaassengclaassen Member Posts: 1
    After much research, I purchased a 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T FWD. Overall I really like the vehicle other than the projection beam headlights. I have a light / dark line directly in my line of sight when looking out through the windshield when driving in a dark area without any other traffic or lighting. The line is the top line where the projection beam light ends. It appears that the top have of the front windshield is a very dark tint and the bottom have is clear glass. It is very annoying. Has anyone else experienced this ? Any suggestions ?
  • deedee55deedee55 Member Posts: 5
    I bought my 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T in August. I, too, have noticed that the headlights are extremely bright on low beam. To me, it appears that the lights are concentrated in a horizontal line (like the eyebrow-shaped headlights). I don't think the windshield is tinted darker. I plan on asking the service department to check them out when I take it in next month. Maybe they can be adjusted downward.
  • cary28cary28 Member Posts: 53
    edited October 2012
    Wife and I test drove the 2.4GDI and 2.0T in a fully loaded SF Sport. The 2.4 had good power, but felt it had to work hard to get the lead out. The Turbo felt very smooth with power delivery, and I didn't notice much turbo lag. Both engines did well on an incline onramp to the freeway, as well as going from around 50MPH to 70MPH, the turbo just felt like it was easier. Fit and finish, along with material quality was top notch, with lots of toys in the Technology Package.

We were comparing it to the Kia Sorento SX and the Mazda CX-5GT & CX-9GT. The SF seems to have the best combination of roominess, technology, performance, and gas mileage. The Kia had the edge in size, 3rd row seats, high tech toys, but poor mileage with its 3.5L V6. Its "Dove" seats are very distinctive, but its dash felt dated in design. The CX-5 matches the SF in use of technology and design, but lacks the power, was smaller, and probably slightly better MPG. The CX-9 felt like a boat, as its the largest SUV, with lots of room for people and luggage, but also the poorest mileage. It also felt dated in its design and interior, even though it has many nice features and technology.

We ended up putting a deposit on a white/beige SF 2.0T FWD with premium and technology package, which will arrive first week of Nov. Price offered was just below invoice, and we have the option of another $500 rebate if we lease it. This will be our first CUV, so we'll be comparing it to our MB R350 which was also a very nice vehicle.
  • mike159mike159 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone had the wind noise corrected by the dealership if so, can you tell me what they did or email me the dealearship's # so i can get mine fixed? Thanks...
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns the latest model Honda CR-V, Hyundai Santa Fe or Chevy Traverse, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 1, 2012, for use in a print publication. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2012 for a copy of the survey.
  • megawatts74megawatts74 Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone know when the 7 seaters are coming out? I narrowed my new car search down to a Kia Sorento SX and the Santa Fe long wheel base model. Mainly, I want to know if the prices are going to be comparable to the Sorento. My dealership has no information on these things or just isn't giving it up yet.
  • 1stbeemer11stbeemer1 Member Posts: 9
    Hi cary28
    have u taken delivery of your SF 2.0T? I tested both SF 2.0T (twice!) and 2.4 today and also the Mazda CX5. I liked the handling of the CX5 best. The reason I tested the 2.0T twice was because I felt jerkiness when accelerating. At the first test, I thought perhaps I was too hard on the pedall since I was trying to test out the power of the engine, so I tried drivng more sedately in the 2nd test. While not as bad as the first test, I found that I had to be very careful on the pedal as it did not take a lot to feel the jerkiness i.e acceleration was not smooth. Can u comment on your experience? Really appreciate.
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    Has anyone gotten any feedback yet on the headlight issue?
  • cybermaxcybermax Member Posts: 1
    I also have this problem, today the service center lower the headlights
    went out to check them,still the same problem.

Will call them again? if anyone have found the solution please advise me.
    Thanks
    Max
  • cary28cary28 Member Posts: 53
    I did take delivery, and have put on about 1K miles. I didn't notice the jerkiness you mentioned, but I also don't drive it like my Corvette. When I test drove both 2.4 and 2.0T, I noticed I had to really push the 2.4 to accelerate off the line or going from 50 to 70mph. The Turbo accelerated more smoothly with less strain, and felt it had more reserve. The 2.4 also was much louder, probably as I had to push it to higher RPM to hit those points. I also liked the handling of the CX-5, but its lackluster acceleration and less luxurous interior just didn't do it for me.
  • flatontopflatontop Member Posts: 20
    The 7 seater is being shown at the LA auto show this week, I asked the sales rep when it woud be released and she told me she couldn't say BUT she hinted that it would come out end of December or the first of January. I like the Santa Fe Sport but don't want the problems with a turbo that"s sure happen so I'm holding out for the 3.3 V6.
  • himdaihimdai Member Posts: 1
    I have the 2013 Santa Fe sport and I initially didn't like it due to my extreme Chevy bias, (I traded in a 2007 Tahoe 8 cylinder) but for a four cylinder this thing moves. I was quite please at how well it drove and how great it handled. It gets great mileage and in is pretty quiet on the road. The only complaint I really have is at first startup of the day the engine is kinda loud. However when it warms up it quiets down a LOT. Hope this helps.
  • dc48dc48 Member Posts: 14
    Is anyone having problems with their 2013 Santa Fe such as rattling from the dash or radio issues?
  • kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    I'm sure everyone has noticed the abundant usage of turbo 4cly. engines across all of the makes and models. I wanted to know if there is anyone who could ease my concerns on this new trend as far as reliability of these engines/turbos and what kind of cost are we looking at down the road for repairs? I understand that the use of turbos increases power and I believe gas mileage is about the same, but I was brought up thinking that turbos were a bad idea.
    Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Thanks
  • flatontopflatontop Member Posts: 20
    I’ll give you my take/opinion on the turbo, I was interested in the Santa Fe Sport 2.0 turbo. After test driving it I enjoyed the power but there was a acceleration lag @ low rpm’s. I started to research the turbo forums and found a lot of people having problems after 70k miles, the turbo gets hot and warps/burns out. I know Hyundai brags about their turbo being intercooled but they still get hot as hell. I have a cousin that builds & drive sprint cars so I put the question to him & his response was “stay away from the turbo if you are going to keep if for more than 50k miles there’s just more crap to go wrong, stick with the v6 it will last 3 times longer than the 4cyl”.
    I’ve had my 2013 Sorento EX V6 for 15 days now, put 2,000 miles on it, getting 23mpg according to my calculator not the cars mpg readout. Just love the ride and it will smoke the turbo in the quarter mile. (kind of). Good luck with your decision, you might want to wait for the Santa Fe 7 seater to roll out next month. It will give you the option of the 3.3 v6 also the 5 seater Sports should be on sale during the 7 seater roll out. I couldn't wait for the seven seater and definitely did not want a 4 banger so I dropped the c ash on the Sorento
  • rkufflerrkuffler Member Posts: 2
    Actually the ECO mode on the 2013 SF does affect the engine (well not directly but indirectly). It decreases throttle response, changes transmission shift points etc. It is actually quite noticeable on the highway and in the city. And the ECO light stays on permanently when you have ECO turned on.
  • kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    Thanks for your opinion/input. My brother bought a '12 Santa Fe with the V6 and said, too, that he wouldn't buy a turbo 4 cly. Thanks again!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I read this from one of our auto editors - not Hyundai specific but his comments may help shed some light:

"If you've got the luxury of allowing a turbo engine to idle for a bit before shutting down, almost always a good idea.

But one additonal factor: a number of newer engines with electrically-driven water pumps can continue to run the water pump to cool the turbo(s) even if you shut off the engine. BMW, for one, uses electrically-driven water pumps on most of its mainstream turbo engines.

Finally, Ford also had addressed this longstanding concern about turbocharged engines. The well-known Ecoboost engines don't have electrically-driven water pumps (yet), but here's some detail, direct from Ford's press material, that I remembered from the Ecoboost launch.

"The EcoBoost turbocharger system is engineered for long-term reliability, incorporating water cooling to protect the internal turbo bearings in the high-temperature operating environment. The water cooling system prevents the phenomenon known as oil coking, in which oil in previous-generation turbo bearings would bake and solidify, causing premature bearing failures.

The EcoBoost engine’s turbo water cooling even works after the engine is switched off. The water cooling system is engineered to allow a process called reverse siphoning to take place. When the engine is switched off, the water pump ceases operation. The coolant in the extremely hot turbo boils and fresh coolant floods in behind it. This process continues until temperatures reduce, providing sustained, key-off protection for the turbo bearings."

Maybe a Hyundai fan can weigh in on any similar tech.
    And a bit more. Another editor says "There is no reason to idle a modern turbocharged car before shutdown, and certainly not for five minutes. Water-cooled turbos and more robust oil formulations have made the decades-ago issue of 'coking' a thing, well, of the past."

Turbocharger Technology Gives New Cars More MPG
  • megabrooke1megabrooke1 Member Posts: 3
    Speaking of the Hyundai 2.0 Turbo, does anyone know whether the turbo is included in Hyundai's 100K drivetrain warranty? I just heard of a Kia horror story where the timing belt broke at 70K and parent Hyundai would not cover it as part of the 100K drivetrain warranty. seems like the timing belt and the turbo should be part of drivetrain. Any insight?
    I am considering a 2013 Santa Fe bt if the turbo is not covered, I'll stay away.
  • rkufflerrkuffler Member Posts: 2
    It uses a timing chain rather than a belt. The turbo is covered under the powertrain warranty as well as the intercooler.

Found the turbo warranty in the manual. In Canada we only get 5 years 100,000KM on those.
  • molyneuxmolyneux Member Posts: 31
    I just purchased a 2013 Santa Fe Sport. The daytime running lights are not on, I asked the salesman and he said he didn't know - they should be on. He'll find out. Never did. Am I missing something? Don't see anything in the book. How do I get the DRLs on?
  • vonnyvoncevonnyvonce Member Posts: 129
    I'm not positive but I recall "intercooling" takes place after the turbo charger so no effect on turbo temp. Air gets compressed/ heated then cooled then to intake...as I recall from my Isuzu diesel turbo (not truly intercooled) days.
  • ethan55ethan55 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! Did you get it fixed? I have the same problem!
    thanks
  • ozzie510ozzie510 Member Posts: 2
    10 March 2013 :
    Speaking of the V6, when are the 2013 Santa Fe 6-7 passenger, long-wheelbase models going to be available in U.S. showrooms? This seems more than a glitch in that Hyundai spent a ton of money advertising the 6-7 passenger model at the Super Bowl as well as the Oscars. Yet no vehicles at the dealerships!
    I contacted Hyundai USA and got a non-answer about quality. I then contacted Hyundai Worldwide but have yet to receive a reply. I understand that these vehicles must be shipped from S. Korea, but are they even in the pipeline and when will they arrive here? Who knows.
    When I bought my 2013 Santa Fe Sport in August 2012, my dealer told me they would be available in the summer of 2013.
  • ozzie510ozzie510 Member Posts: 2
    10 March 2013 It does exist!!

Saw the LWB Santa Fe this afternoon at my Eugene OR dealership. Its the only LWB they have for sale. Vehicle's Iron Frost exterior and black leather interior appear to be high quality. Driver and second row (actually captain's chair) are very comfortable. Dashboard layout is similar to previous Santa Fe's. Full panoramic (moon?) roof is impressive. I did not drive the vehicle and the dealer is unsure of how many more they will be allocated or when they might arrive. MSRP on this fully equipped vehicle was $40,000.
  • skyjockeyskyjockey Member Posts: 1
    I live in Coronado, California and saw a fleet, approximately 12,of LWB Santa Fe parked at the hotel Del Coronado. I was able to look at the cars but they were all locked up. It is suppose to be some kind of test drive for reviewers that will take place tomorrow. Getting any type of solid information at this point is impossible.
    (if they told me they would have to kill me) I wish someone would put me up at the Hotel Del, wine and dine me, let me test drive and then review!
    I hope to get some kind of ride tomorrow. I'll update if I do.
    I currently own a 2002 with 180,000 miles and it has been flawless. I'm anxious to buy this one if it ever comes gets to the dealers.
  • planogenesisplanogenesis Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2013
    I just got back from my dealer. They said only 1,400 are making it to the states this year with a 2-3 allotment per dealer. I don't know if that's initially or in total or how that would work. They really didn't know either - Hyundai is very tight-lipped about it.
    They knew what they were getting (they are the largest dealer in North Tx with more than one place, so, they thought they'd be getting some others may not), but they didn't know colors. In 2 wks, they are planning on getting 2 limited and 1 other in - I get the first limited - hope it's worth it!
  • floydsu77floydsu77 Member Posts: 5
    Sounds like a pretty good selling tactic by the dealer. Supply low, demand high= dealer profit.
  • manda2013manda2013 Member Posts: 1
    The Santa Fe limited models (6 passenger idk why they say 6-7), have been available starting jan of 2013.
    The dealer closest to me doesn't have any as they were supposed to be there last month but said its just a matter of days before they finally get to their lot.

They say its a popular model as many people are looking for them... (This I doubt as many people don't wait around very long, plus they have fully loaded sport models on their lot that suit others just fine).

I can't wait to finally get to see one as I'm car shopping/ comparing. It's between a Santa fe limited and a ford edge limited for me. ^_^
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    The 12 LWB are being tested by journalists etc. CAn follow on Hyundai twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/Hyundai
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    They started arriving in dealer lots last week, as noted by a few.
  • nate48nate48 Member Posts: 4
    I think I talked to the same North Tx dealer and they said they will sell the LWB for MSRP only for the first year. Is this what you've heard?
    Yes, I'm certain my only 'leverage' will be in a trade-in. I'm not overly concerned as, loaded, it's still substantially cheaper than the alternatives I was considering. I've driven Explorers for 16 years and just wanted a change. I use the third row some, not consistently - so, this was a good option for me. If they only get 2 or 3 per dealer nationwide, there really is no reason to negotiate prices unless they have a few leftover when the 2014s come out. My current vehicle is on it's last legs so, if I don't like the color of this one, I guess I'll bite the bullet and get an MDX or JX. Personally, I have some aesthetic issues with the interior of the Explorer, exterior on the MDX, JX, Enclave - I have the bigger engine Genesis and love it - so, I'm willing to give this one a shot (the reviews on Santa Fes are very positive).
    I just sat in one, it's adequate, hard to compare to the JX/MDX as it's just not as luxurious.
    This one was black exterior with brown/black interior (both of which are deal killers for me). I told them I'd buy one today if they find a lighter color. Since I don't want the black one, I didn't test drive it - but, I plan to drive it when they get a color I like. I know another dealer who is getting my color choice as their next Limited in - so, that may be my next car, worse case, I'll be at the Acura dealer next week with a thinner wallet.

The backseats and cargo area were very nice.
    I would advise caution on the MDX. Many of the current gen MDX's vibrate between 70-80mph, so on a road-trip it feels like a wheel is out of balance. Had a '12 with this issue and sold it back as the dealer was unable to find the source of the problem. Many of the loaners I drove had the same problem. You can read more about it on mdxers.org.
  • golfingdeac11golfingdeac11 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    I think looks wise and amenity wise...Santa Fe is the best bang for the buck on the market. I have a 2013 with just over 2000 miles.

I have had problems however....the seat heat was not working and it took me 2 trips to different dealers to get ti fixed.

The vehicle is amazing in parking lots with the tight turning radius....it's very easy to maneuver there. That has a serious drawback however....it steers terrible at 70MPH. Way too sensitive. If you barely move the wheel you're in the other lane or off the road. I've owned or driven SUVs/crossovers by Cadillac, Ford, Chevy, GMC, Oldsmobile, Lincoln, Toyota, Nissan, Dodge, Jeep and Lexus and none are that sensitive. I don't feel that I can relax at 55+ in this vehicle and I'm in the top 1% of drivers as far a skillful. I think Hyundai traded parking lots for open road? I'd rather have a worse turning radius in parking lots. It sucks....I may have to sell this vehicle that I really like because of it! I don't know if the steering box can be adjusted of if Hyundai could make an option to switch out....I'd gladly pay for it. I can easily relax while driving on long trips but it is not easy with my 2013 Santa Fe.
    When I got my 2013 Santa Fe Sport last August, the steering was very sensitive. However, someone in one of these forums suggested that the tires may have been overinflated for shipment. That was exactly the case with mine. Once they were deflated to the correct PSI, it helped immensely.
    I got it yesterday. White/Limited - FWD, not AWD. Other than the tow pkg - it was loaded. Apparently, the first 'batch' didn't come with tow pkgs, I plan to add one.
    Drives like a car in comparison with my stiff, rickety Explorer. Carmax did me very well with respect to buying my dying Ford, and I received a big rebate for owning another Hyundai - very good day.
    I was planning on getting a red one that is coming in next week at another dealer, but this had everything I wanted and I worried about my prior car on a day to day basis (no a/c, starter problems...).
    So far, I'm happy - it's not a fair comparison compared to the MDX/JX - just not as luxurious - price-wise, it's equivalent to the Genesis, but definitely isn't as luxurious either, but, technologically, more advanced. Not sure if I would have gone bench vs captains chairs in back if it was available, but the interior is very large, even more so with the captains chairs. I swear the original specs said seat coolers, but, none to be found (I like them on the Genesis). All in all, good value for the money - better option for the price than most vehicles I could find. I was leaning toward the Highlander as an alternative, but wasn't thrilled with that interior.

Still wonder about this 1 or 2 vehicles per dealer. This is the largest dealer in Texas and they have seen a total of 2. There must have been some issue with production or delivery - makes little sense to me.
  • bernieb342bernieb342 Member Posts: 1
    I want to buy a 2013 Santa Fe Sport. I currently own a 2005 Tucson and tow a pop up camper (max weight 2000 lbs, max hitch weight 185 lbs). The car has 110,000 miles on it and I never replaced the struts. When I first owned the car I barely used the camper but now am using it a lot. I notice that at highway speeds of 55 mph or greater on certain stretches of road (mostly the newer cement roads versus blacktop) the car and camper start bouncing vehemently to the point I have to slow down to 45 mph to control it. Not good. I am told by my dealer that replacing the struts won't necessarily fix the problem, the wheel base might be too short for towing. He recommended I buy the 2013 Santa Fe Sport. But that car is less than 3 inches longer in wheel base. So I am nervous. My question is does anyone have any experience with towing on the 2013 Santa Fe Sport and would they recommend it for my situation? If they do, should I get the turbo or not? Anything else I should consider getting on the car?
    Take a look at the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. It's rated at 5000lbs towing capacity and is a much quieter and upscale ride. For all those who trash talk the CVT, go and drive it and see for yourself. It's basically an Infiniti JX35 with Nissan badging.
  • bmohandasbmohandas Member Posts: 13
    guys,

i sold my car 2 weeks ago but i still have the valid registration(or not so valid anymore). can i use it towards claiming loyalty rebate>
  • golfingdeac11golfingdeac11 Member Posts: 2
    I made it back for a second response. My 2013 Santa Fe now has just over 3000 miles and I have not taken it back to the Dealer because I expect the vehicle is meant to drive this way. I will take it by within the next 2 weeks however to see. It drives great at less than 45 MPH and turns on a dime in a parking lot. On the Interstate .... it sucks! I have to concentrate too much to drive this vehicle. Move the steering while an eighth inch and you switch over 3 lanes (maybe 1/4 in.). I'm in the top .1 % (point 1 percent) of drivers nationally and I'd rather drive my cousin's F-450 dually with his 54' race trailer on back (I've done it several times before) at 75 MPH on the Interstate, than drive this Santa Fe on the Interstate. I have to concentrate way less driving the race package than my Santa Fe! No bull! The max. tire pressure of the Continental tires is 50 PSI and all tires have 44 PSI of Nitrogen (stays the same PSI when the tires get hot, as used in racing and as they came from the dealer). The heated seat were fixed....if there is nothing wrong with the steering, I'll just lose $10K or so in a trade.....this vehicle sucks over 50 MPH. I'm a relaxed long distance driver who can easily drive 750 miles in a day at 55 years of age but not on this vehicle.....not comfortably anyway. I've driven everything and raced and I'd prefer a big steering wheel 1950's vehicle with tons of play in the steering and no power steering, to this! It's a mental grind on the Interstate. I'll take it to the dealer within the next 2 weeks and I hope there is a steering box malfunction because I like most everything else (there won't be). If you are thinking about buying one......insist on 10 miles of driving on the Interstate before you buy!!!!!!
    Have you tried running it with the recommended tire pressures as listed on the placard on the door jam? Sounds like your tires may be over-inflated.

The number on the sidewall has nothing to do with the pressure Hyundai recommends.
    After reading others complain of this same issue over on the Hyundai forums I went for a long test drive as I had been thinking of buying the SF. Yes, the SF I drove had the steering issue as well. I opted for the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder and am very happy with it's highway prowess. I agree, anyone thinking of purchasing the SF needs to take it out for a long test drive at highway speeds BEFORE buying. As I just got rid of a lemon from another make, I too would definitely recommend an overnight or weekend test drive before making a any new vehicle purchase.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    Ditto on this....

Your tires are extremely over-inflated... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• crazyajcrazyaj Member Posts: 2
    As others have said, your tires are way overinflated. 44psi is WAY to much. That is exactly what is contributing to the floaty feeling on the freeway. Use the recommended pressure thats written on the car!

You've said multiple times you are in the top .1% of drivers, but its amazing to me that you don't know anything about tire pressure and its relationship with steering response! :)
    I'm at 2500 miles. Getting tons of compliments. Most like the dash/electronics and luxury look (wheels are popular). I'm actually using the full moonroof (never used mine on the others).
    There's some rattle in the roof, probably need to get it checked.

Driving is a little soft in comparison to my other cars.
    All in all - very nice, fun to drive. Decent power.
    Can't get tow package yet (waiting on those to be built/delivered).
    I have seen exactly 2 others on the road in Dallas - hard to believe they aren't delivering more.

Looks like about every small SUV today. The kids like the captains seats - not sure I do (something about the look of them). The electronics are pretty cool - radio toggles between HD and non HD at times (painful), voice commands are horrible (as in my Genesis as well) - that will probably just take some practice). Voice seems hard to pick up for commands, but for phone calls it seems to be fine.

Vinyl boot for shifter is a turnoff - would rather have a smooth guide like the Genesis. I see a lot of people looking at my vehicle and those that see the interior really like it.

All in all - happy with the purchase!
  • mikea11414mikea11414 Member Posts: 33
    I have the 2011 Santa Fe Limited fully loaded with a little over 28,000 miles. My only complaint about the car is the wind noise on the passenger side which service told me is normal and I told them that's BS. Anyway, I was hoping the 2013 would have the power folding mirrors and some of the other features that the Kia Sorrent has but it didn't, Now I see a re-designed 2014 SF that looks fantastic, if it has the features I want and no wind noise, I'll tade my 2011 in because I love the car. The ride could be a little softer though and I have to agree about the voice system it stinks.

If anybody knows any tech features about the 2014 I'd appreciate the info. I've seen pictures of it and it's beautiful.