Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    I built a small storage shed to keep my unlimited top in for the summer. the top is not as heavy as I thought it would be, but awkward. 2 people could lift it, but 4 made the job very easy.

jeff

just remember if building a shed, the dimensions of the door are just as important as the dimensions of the shed. no one will steal my top, unless they bring their tools and remove one of the wall panels.
    I've got a 3.5 RE lift, 1 inch Body lift and 33 inch tires.

we have a local shop that deals almost exclusively with jeeps, I was new to jeeps and this is the setup that john recommended.

no death wobble or any of those other nasty things that people fear when talking about lifting a jeep.

jeff
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Hi, Mo', and welcome.

I can't remember that subject coming up before. You would think it would have come up many times, huh?

I have no experience with soft tops, but someone here will be able to help you, I'm sure.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    >I just looked at my windows and the wrinkles on the side windows have disappeared

That's good news. Let me know how it goes. Good luck.

-Mike
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Let me refer you back two days for a generic answer to the problem: mac24, "Jeep Wrangler" #17293, 16 May 2005 4:09 pm

I can't remember that subject coming up before.......

Only two days ago Tom! Must be an age thing..... ;)
    Hey! That problem was about a seam that needed to be resewn, not about a hole in the fabric. Not the same! :)

Tom

• oldscout2oldscout2 Member Posts: 9
    Hey Mohara,

I have a black soft top on my scout. I have used waterproof adhesive on small holes in my soft top. I apply it while the top is up on the outside. Once it dries, paint it black, you can't see it and it is able to flex when you put the top down. It's a cheap fix idea that I have used..............
  • usmc_jeepusmc_jeep Member Posts: 24
    Hey all,

Sorry its been so long for an update. As of now I have ~1050 miles on my new Sport. After some calls, I had the bllack hard top switched out for the correct dark khaki hard top. All is good.

The only issue I have noticed is an occasional squeaking from the driver seat. It happens in, well, fits. I can go for a few days and no noise what so ever, then I'll have one trip that the thing sounds like a pack of rabid mice! It has gotten less frequent so I am attributing this to the break in period. If it doesn't dissappear by 2500 miles, to the dealer I go.

Now I am looking to add a hitch (with the wiringng harness of course0 so I requested a quote from my dealer on the Mopar parts. Got a quote of $178 + tax or $400.63 plus tax installed.

I think I'll do it myself....which leads to my question:

What knowledge do I need to install this? I know how to change oil, spark plugs, etc. Any special tools?

The wiring kit is on backorder from Chrysler.

Thanks everyone!!

Semper Fi,

Mike
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I think the waterproof taping would work. There is a fabric paint you can use to paint it closer to match.

If you have an older top that is pre-sailcloth (like a 97-99) top, you might want to invest in a new sailcloth replace-a-top. Much quieter and much stronger.

I was offered by a friend a black sailcloth top for a 98. I am finding out today if it includes the mounting hardware or if it is just the cloth and windows. If it has the hardware, I might pick it up as my header has a slight crack. This way I could run one set of windows for wheeling and another for any other times. :) If I can't use it, I might pick it up anyway and see if any of my jeep friends need it. :)

-Paul
  • wrangler1wrangler1 Member Posts: 8
    The jeep I am about to get has 3.07 mentioned in the standard equipment section but then has 3.73 in the optional section. What does this mean? Can any 3.07 jeep be converted to 3.73?
    Also, when people say they paid less than invoice, is it before or after rebates or either ?
    But if you can get 3.73 or 4.10 gearing, you'll be better suited for larger tires down the road.

-Paul
    3.73 optional means? That I don't understand and the salesguy had no clue anyways.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Mike,

I bought a 1 1/4" hitch from U-Haul for $99.00. The 2" was $129.00. It is a Draw-Tite hitch. Put it on myself in about 45 minutes. Take out two bolts, put in four. No drilling.I could have done it faster if I had somone to help me hold it up to the frame while I started the first bolts.

I use mine for a hitch mounted bike rack, so I did not need wiring. I understand that is pretty easy. Mac24 might be able to help out with that.

Terry
    It depends on where you are reading it. if you are reading it in a sales brochure, it means that it is possible to install it, but probably comes with an option group (probably the AAS or Sport package groups). If you read it on a build sheet of some type about a specific vehicle that you are already looking it, it probably means it is already installed. If you look at the differentials (the pumpkins along the axles) under the Jeep, there should be a stamped metal kind of plate that should indicate the gearing in there.

If it is a used vehicle, that stamped piece may or may not be accurate. If it is a new vehicle, look at the option packages to see which ones will give you the 3.73 gearing.

-Paul
  • por2gesfiremanpor2gesfireman Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know what the Tomb Raider feature added to the 2003 Jeep Rubicon? the flares is one, but other than that I'm not sure any help would be appreciated, thanks Mike A.
  • jeepjoyjeepjoy Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem and after doing research on here, and discovering the name of my problem...aka death wobble...I want to get the problem fixed. My wrangler violently shakes between 50-60 mph, the first time I was told the steering dampner needed replaced, made the shakes worse, took it back he then looked at my brakes, (which i needed anyway) still didn't fix the problem. Now shaking happens all the time between 50-60 mph, before it was just when braking. Please anyone, I need a straight answer on what I need to do to fix this, being a girl and in SoCal, mechanics look at me and feel they can get away with trying to rip me off. Can anyone offer a great place, honest place that can actually fix the problem? Also what the heck is the problem? :confuse:
    Unique exterior features on the Wrangler Rubicon Tomb Raider model are 16-inch Alcoa forged aluminum wheels, Tomb Raider badging and a number of Mopar accessories including a light bar, riveted fender flares, tubular grille guard, diamond plate bumper guard, rock rails, fog lamp and taillamp guards, black tubular grille guard, fog lamps with brush guards, riveted fender flares in graphite, aluminum diamond plate bumper guard in black, black rock rails and taillamp guards.

Inside the Wrangler Rubicon Tomb Raider are unique Dark Slate fabric seats with red accent stitching down the center, silver surround instrument panel bezel, red seat belts and a Tomb Raider badge with serial number. As with the custom vehicle in the film, all Wrangler Rubicon Tomb Raider models are offered in Bright Silver.

This information was from the press releases about it.

-Paul
    3.73 optional means?

It means what it says. 3.07:1 is the standard axle ratio, and 3.73:1 is available as an option when the vehicle is ordered and built. Yes, the axle gears can be changed at a later date, but it's a much more expensive proposition.
  • por2gesfiremanpor2gesfireman Member Posts: 16
    Thank you for the Tomb Raider info :)
    Now I am looking to add a hitch (with the wiringng harness of course0 so I requested a quote from my dealer on the Mopar parts. Got a quote of $178 + tax or $400.63 plus tax installed.
    I think I'll do it myself....which leads to my question:
    What knowledge do I need to install this? I know how to change oil, spark plugs, etc. Any special tools?

Easy peasy! ;) Just regular wrenches and sockets, and maybe a couple of Torx bits. Shouldn't take more than a couple hours including the wiring, which should be 'plug'n play'. Just study the instructions first.
  • usmc_jeepusmc_jeep Member Posts: 24
    mac24 and wheelsdown,

Thanks for the replies. I'm going with the Mopar unit. I appreciate the help!

Semper fi,

Mike
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Member Posts: 52
    What about the electrical hookup... was that easy as well?
    skills for installing a hitch,,,,

you need to know how to cuss if you don't already.

I put on an ACME hitch on mine, it fits but took some "persuading" with a hammer to get it in place. The nuts are a bear to hold in place while tightening the bolts. I'm putting a hitch ( different model, bought used from a guy in town) on Heathers Jeep this weekend (hopefully) I tried last weekend, but could not figure out how to fit the bolts through the openings in the frame. It used carriage bolts with the bolt on the inside / nut on the outside of the frame. I got some different bolts and will do it like mine rather than what came with hers.

$200 is an awful lot for install of a hitch. try it yourself first and save that money toward a winch or other mod!!!

jeff
    the wiring harness is a snap to install, I bought the one for Heathers at Advance Auto, they had to order it but it was there the next day. You just unplug a connection in the rear fender and plug each end into the wiring harness.

jeff
    Ok , no dealership in my area seems to have manuals with 3.73:1 axle ratio. I got the advise to go for it from this forum only so I am going to ask here only whether that should be a deal breaker and if I should order a jeep instead of just buying a 3.07 ? Ordering will take 6-7 weeks. Everything else is fine though pricing is not too great but then I wouldn't stress over few hundred here and there.
    Wow, that couldn't be much easier... Still waiting to get my jeep... The hitch will be one of the first things I add... thanks for the advice!
    I heard you could no longer place orders for 2005 Jeeps... Is that true?
  • jtsaulsjtsauls Member Posts: 2
    Hey Folks. I'm new to this forum and look forward to any advice you might have. I recently purchased a 2005 Unlimited. It has the stock 30 x 9.50 tires on it. I've read plenty of places that say a 31 inch tire will fit with no problems. I'd like to put 33's on it, but am unsure about which lift kit to use, etc.... I read where some guy on E-Bay says that he will tell you how to put 33's on a stock Wrangler with no lift kit and no cutting of the body. He says this is for road jeeps and not trail rigs and that this "trick" is totally reversible so that no one will know when you trade in one day. Any ideas on what he is talking about? He wants 15 bucks to tell you the secret...........
    I'm not opposed to a lift kit because I want to do things right, but I'm on a limited budget right now. Anyone have any feedback on a good 2 inch lift kit?

Thanks
  • johnfmknjohnfmkn Member Posts: 9
    Well I changed out my oxygen sensor and passed the emissions test but now my oil pressure gauge goes all the way up to 80 when Im driving. At idle it stays at the normal 40-50 range but when im driving especially in 1,2,3 gear it pegs out. Some one told me that the oil pressure sending unit might need to be replaced and I plan on doing it tomorrow because the part isn't very expensive but I don't know where it is located. Any and all help is appreciated.
    Wrangler1:

The gear ratio can be a very important factor, if you go to larger tires. The 3.07 ratio is a very high gear (lower number = higher gear). It gets the job done with the standard tire size, I suppose, but when you go to larger tires, the engine lugs down and works harder. Larger tires have the same effect as going to an even higher gear (lower ratio).

Let's say you have 3.07 gears and 28" tires, and you go to 31" tires. This would be the same as going to about a 2.75 gear ratio. For a given speed, your engine will be running about 10% lower RPM than it would have been running before the change in tire size. This can put you below the optimum RPM range for your engine, i.e., it may not make enough power at the new RPM level to sustain speed on even the slightest inclines or against the slightest headwind. You will not accelerate nearly as well. You will need to shift down to a lower gear. You might lose the use of fifth gear all together.

If you ever get into off roading, you are going to want to have good engine braking for going down steep trails. The 3.07 gearing would allow the Jeep to go down the hill faster than you would want it to, and it would force you to use your brakes too much.

If you are NEVER going to off road, and if you are NEVER going to go to bigger tires, then the 3.07 gearing is not a big deal.

Tomster

If you get a Sport, please, please, please take the Old Tomster's advice, and get the AAS package. For ONLY $670, you will get the 30" tires, gas shocks, the beautiful Ravine wheels, and a Dana 44 rear end with 3.73 gearing!!! That is a downright UNBELIEVABLE deal.

If you do that, the time will come when you will thank me profusely for putting you onto that option. You will name a child after me. You will ask me for a picture of myself to hang from your rear view mirror, so that you can thank me every time you drive your Jeep. You will come to my funeral.

Tomster

JT:

Welcome! Glad to have you with us.

If you want a cheap way to run 33" tires, and if the Jeep will be used on the pavement only, then you could probably get by with a two inch "budget boost." These kits are just spacers that are used with your factory springs and have the same effect on ride height as longer springs.

Rubicon express makes a BB kit for $229.95, as listed in the Quadratec catalogue. You get the spacers plus four new, longer travel shocks.

Installation would be simple, and it would be something you could easily do yourself.

The 2" lift would be insufficient to allow you to disconnect your sway bar for off roading. You might get some rubbing even if the sway bar is still connected, if you get into positions that flex the suspension to the max. On the street, there should be no problem.

Yes, 31" tires can be installed with no lift of any kind needed. You can go up to 31" x 10.50" tires.

Tomster

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Wish I could help you find a decent mechanic in SoCal, but I haven't really found one. I used to use a Firestone place in Bakersfield and had excellent luck with them - they seemed honest and would refer me to a reasonable place when I needed something they didn't do (the exhaust manifold, for one). One of their mechanics was a big off-roader and had a beautiful red lifted Wrangler, but I haven't been there in a couple of years. I think it was the Firestone shop on Stine (it's just north of White Lane and I think it's on Stine, but it be on one of the other north-south streets). The main reason I haven't been using them is that you really need an appointment for Saturdays, and I always forgot to call.
    ..............Any ideas on what he is talking about? He wants 15 bucks to tell you the secret...........

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!! :P

If you want cheap, go with a 2" budget boost (and send the $15 to Tom instead!).
  • trew123trew123 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I also have had my Sport for a couple of weeks now (500 miles) and am so happy with it. After the first week, I took the hard top off and have been driving mostly with the soft-top down to work and back each day. Friggin cold some times in the morning but when I leave at 6:00, the looks I get from co-workers and other people on the road is well worth it. My Sport came with the Ravine wheels which are quite nice but I have come across new Rubicon wheels pretty cheap so I am going to swap them out this weekend and try to sell the ravines wheels. I have found a couple of weird items (noises) as well that bother me but none are deal-breakers and I am so happy with my purchase and am thankful for all of the stuff that I have read here that helped guide me in my purchase.

thanks,
    Trew
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    and send the $15 to Tom instead!

Please, no soliciting on the boards! ;)

tidester, host
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    Mike
    I installed the Mopar hitch and wiring harness on my 04 Wrangler X 14 months ago. Use the Mopar wiring kit, it is just a plug and play easy install. The Mopar hitch is a class 1 hitch good for 2,000 pounds only. Also a very easy install, except around the exhaust pipe. You will need a good set of extension for your sockets. My hitch is excellent for its purpose, If I had to do it again, I would stick with the Mopar wiring kit, but probably buy a Class 2 after market hitch good for 3500 pounds
    Trew:

Man, I hope you are not going to end up spending much money when all is said and done and you have sold your Ravine wheels. I have to agree that the Moabs are a little nicer looking than the Ravines, but not by very much in my book. They are both beautiful wheels.

Don't let those Ravines go too cheap. They should bring a real nice piece of change, especially being so new.

Glad you are enjoying that Jeep. They are more fun than you even imagined, aren't they???

Yeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!

Tom

How FUNNY! I used that same Firestone. The mechanic with the red CJ was the only guy I would let work on our stuff! Can't remember his first name, but his last was Cotton and he moved to Colorado Springs.

As for lifts, Tom nailed it with the spacer budget boost. You can use these offroad, but IMO, if you are going to offroad it lifted, get heavier duty springs and shocks and lift it right. I know spacers are safe, but for some reason, a 'properly done' kit just makes more sense to me. For a good 2" suspension lift, I went with OME. Rubicon Express, Skyjacker (I think), and others make em. OME is pricier, but the ride is reported to be as good as, or better than, stock. With a lift you will never get a perfect ride, as your CG is shifted and such, but since my springs are worn, anything will be an improvement!

-Paul
  • drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    A local fellow here has been having death wobble problems since getting a lift and in his case part of the problem was a had to do with the track bar. I don't know what was wrong with it exactly (didn't see it for myself), but replacing it has resolved some of his issues. It now appears that one of his ball joint ends may be hooped as well...
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I think camp jeep on the road is something new and taking the place of the jeep 101 event or whatever it was called when it was going from city to city. I have attended one camp jeep and two of these smaller events. Its basically a very much downsized camp jeep. I was able to drive all the different jeep models and took a rubicon offroad on their trail that was set up. Its fun but i was done in about 3 hours and did get a $500 coupon for a future jeep purchase. If you never gone go try it out then head to the big camp jeep, with the concerts and fireworks, trail rides etc.....
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Attaching the trailer hitch was simple on my 98 Grand Cher. Their were bolts already in place and i fit the hitch to these and tightened them using the nuts and washer supplied with the hitch. I used a ratchet set then torqued them down with a torque wrench it took about 30 minutes. The wiring is where i was lost and had an electrically inclined brother-in law to do the wiring which he did in about 30 minutes or less and it works great.....

FYI I purchased a Hidden Hitch which i really like as it fits up under the bumper and just shows the reciever, it was a tad bit more but looks much better IMO......
  • jbonejbone Member Posts: 35
    All:
    Just rec'd this message from DCX regarding orders for 05 TJs:

"Thank you for your recent email to DaimlerChrysler Motors regarding your
    interst in a 2005 Jeep Wrangler. Unfortunately, those orders are 'out
    for model year,' which means that they are no longer available. Orders
    for 2006 will be accepted shortly.

Thank you again for your email."

Wonder if that means all 06 orders will be the redesign? I hope not...

Had a dealer tell me today he could possibly sell me an 05 Unlimited on the lot for about $21,100 not including taxes etc., and now that I cannot order an 05 exactly how I want (there are none w/in 500 miles of me) I may jump on it (if I can convince my wife that we can afford it...)

This Jeep has been on their lot for awhile, all thru winter up north, and I noticed that much of the mechanicals are rusty underneath like the driveshafts, and much of the outer front axle (knuckles on outward). Is this something I should hesistate on or am I being too picky?
    I compared it to another that they just got in and that one looks like it rolled right off the factory floor - no rust at all. Unfortunately its not one I would consider buying.
    Thanks for the help and wish me luck with the missus!
    Surface rust on underbody parts amounts to diddly squat. They don't do anything at the factory to even try to prevent it. Don't worry about it.

Good luck in getting a Jeep just right for your wants and needs.

Tomster

• 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Does anyboody have an opinion or review of the factory sub-woofer they put in the console? I'm thinking of buying a used one. They look nice and small, which is my biggest concern.

-Dan
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    I have the factory 7 spkr deal, which includes the sub. I think it is OK, but I don't think I'd go to the trouble to put a used one in, the bass can be very muddy. However, I wouldn't want the factory system without it. I don't suppose I was much help at all.
  • jackpdjackpd Member Posts: 4
    I just came across your forum and think it's great.

I'm buying my first Wrangler within the next week and would like to know if you folks feel that a hard top is really necessary living in New England or is a soft top OKAY? Does Ice / snow build up on the windows of the soft top and if so can it be scraped off with an ice scraper or would I destroy the plastic window removing the ice? I'll be leaving the Jeep out doors in all weather conditions. Also, does snow / ice build up on the plastic windows while driving as it does on glass?

Thanks for your advice.

Jackpd
    I have never had a soft top, but I don't think there is any way I would want to have a soft top on my Jeep while it was parked outside in New England winters. I think the soft top would keep you warm enough once the engine comes up to temperature, but I think you would have problems just as you suggested with ice on the plastic windows. The plastic is easily scratched.

Welcome to the board.

Tom

Tom, I got the AAS on my '04. Still waiting for that picture to hang from my rearview, though.

-Mike
    I was bummed to find that I'd waited too long to order an '03. But when I ordered my '04, I was pleasantly surprised to find they'd switched to the ravine rims. So you never know how things will work out. There are trade offs no matter what, but it all seems to balance out.

Oh, and I spotted the undercarriage rust almost immediately after taking delivery. Was concerned, but like Tom said, it was no biggee. The Jeep that's factory new will have the same rust soon enough, so you might as well go for the vehicle you really want.

-Mike