Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    I'm from New England. Get the hardtop if you can. Though, if you're parking outdoors only, that may mean you don't have a garage or place to store said top.

I would think you'd be hard pressed to find a cold weather dealer selling soft tops only. Then again, if you're a seasoned New Englander, the minute the mercury gets above freezing, you'll be putting the top down anyway and enjoying the weather!

-Mike ;)
  • oldscout2oldscout2 Member Posts: 9
    You don't need to scrape the plastic windows of your soft top when it gets icy or snow covered. I just tap the windows from the inside and the ice and snow breaks off. You will leave coworkers scraping their windows and their heads as you pull away in seconds.......... ;)
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I'm probably not the best person to answer this question (since I live in SoCal), but we do get ice and snow up here and I spent a week in Wyoming in January, so I have an opinion on this subject.

Do not use an ice scraper on the plastic windows - they will scratch easily. I didn't notice all that much snow and ice build-up on the windows - far less than I had expected. Most of the time the heater is enough to keep the snow and ice from building up while you are driving. I have about a 15 minute drive on rural 2 lane roads before I hit the interstate, and my windows are normally clear by the time I get there. We've gone all winter with just a soft top and been perfectly happy. I find visibility more limited because of dust/dirt/mud on the back window than ice (the hard top has the advantage there with its wiper blade).

I actually prefer the hard top for a variety of minor reasons, but you do have to have somewhere it store it if you take it off (the Sport's hard top has never been off because of that). The soft top flaps when there's snow on the roof and you are driving about 45 mph, I don't like the bar on the back window - makes it harder to load tall things in the back, like trash cans, etc. and it lets in more wind and traffic noise than a hard top. If you crack the window (my husband smokes) the window will softly flap against the support. It's not really loud, but occasionally annoying.
  • greddengredden Member Posts: 30
    I am going to buy new 2005 wrangler sport. I am having trouble deciding on options. I am getting the wheel & tire group upgrade. What I'm gaving trouble deciding on is the anit-lock brakes, 4-Wheel Disc Brakes, Trac-Lok Differential Axle. I don't know much about these options. Please HELP! I would like any other suggestions too.

thanks for the advise!
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    ABS: If you're sure no one will ever make an emergency stop in the rain in front of you, or no one will pull into your path from a side road without looking, then you don't need ABS. As you can tell, I'm a believer.

4 wheel disc brakes: See mac24, "Jeep Wrangler" #17339, 17 May 2005 10:44 pm

Trac-Lok: Helps give you traction in poor surface conditions, virtually invisible to the driver, cheap way to get an LSD.
    So, you say yes to the ABS and no to the Trac-Lok? Any other suggestions?
    I'd say yes to ABS, shrug my shoulders to rear discs, and yes to Trac Lok unless I was either never going off the highway, or was intending to fit a heavier duty system later
    I understand that Trac Lok is then you actually lockin the the front and rear wheels and the power is trasfered to the wheels with the most traction, am I correct in thinking this? Do you have any other suggestions? By the way, I really appreciate your help.
  • thejeepthejeep Member Posts: 9
    I have the track lock system on my 01 Sahara, and you only get full traction in the rear. I thoroughly enjoy this feature when next to someone with a slip.
    As was said above, it's installed in the rear axle only, and it limits the amount of slip the differential allows, thereby giving you traction in situations that would normally have you just sitting there with one wheel spinning.

It's hard to make suggestions without knowing the use you intend to put the Jeep to, both now and in the future.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I wonder if once the "official deadline" has passed, if some orders are still taken, and an exactly matching Jeep, originally ordered by a dealership for their inventory, is re-assigned to go to the individual who placed the late order? A dealer would have to check with DC to see if such a Jeep is in the pipeline before agreeing to take the order. Pure conjecture, but if anyone knows, please tell us.

I know that my salesman told me four and half years ago, when I was ordering Thelma Jane, that orders for "sold" Jeeps took precedence over Jeeps ordered by dealers for their lots.

Peeps, if you want an 05, and if they really are still taking orders, you'd better get that order in NOW. (Wrangler1, sorry if that seems like I am doubting your word, but it's validity of the info you were given that I question, not your word.)

Tomster

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Member Posts: 52
    I'm really close to getting a Jeep. While test driving an Unlimited w/H Package today, the saleman told I should just look for one with the main components I'm really wanting (auto, security), and get the other stuff after market.

I have not been able to find anything on the Premium Fender Flares though. If I could order the same "color matched" fenders aftermarket, I'd look into other options for aftermarket (i.e. body side steps, chrome grille, pumped up stereo, etc).

Any suggestions on being able to find these same fenders aftermarket?
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    you can buy anything and everything aftermarket from numerous catalogs or on EBAY,,,

if you want factory side steps, watch ebay, many people (me included) when putting on rocker guards will take off the factory steps and sell them for a fraction of what the cost was to buy them on the jeep.

chome accessories,,,

www.quadratec.com or many other online / hardcopy catalogs.

if you just do an internet search for "jeep accessories" I'm sure you will have more choices than you will know what to do with.

I've bought from quadratec and jeepline.com I was very happy with the service from both

jeff
  • karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    ...well, after lurking on this board for about 6 months (and posting a few questions), I put down a deposit on a Silver Unlimited yesterday. I should have it within my possession in a few days.

Oh, and for a few who were wondering - you definately can't order an 05 Wrangler anymore. And the Solar Yellow color that jeep.com put on their website, that is for 06s only.

Once I get the Wrangler I'll definately take a few pics and try to put 'em up here.

One question: I recently was browing the internet for hardtop storage accessories, and found a "cart" that held your hardtop in an upright position. Now, I can't find what site it was at! Does anyone here know?
    Karl:

CONGRATULATIONS! Yeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!

Page 30 in the Quadratec Summer 2005 Catalogue for you hardtop dolly. Or, go to quadratec.com.

Tomster

• hypehype Member Posts: 16
    Check engine light came on-got my code through turning key 3 times to on which gave me code "P0455" which translates to a "leak detected in evaporative system". I had a case of the "vapors" about a year ago which I was told was a result of a "pinched hose"...can someone tell me what that is? And why maybe it reoccured again? Is there anything I can do to try to remedy this myself? Thanks.
    Try clearing the code and see if it comes back. Mac will help us out, I hope, but I think you have to disconnect the battery for some period of time to clear the code.

A simple thing like a gas cap not being properly tightened can cause that code.

Cars nowadays have a closed loop system for fuel. Fumes from the gas tank are collected, condensed, and returned to the tank, I do believe. Mac???

A leak in a hose or fitting short circuits the system and causes the check engine light to come on.

I'm sure Mac can correct and/or expand on what I have said.

Tomster

I willl be using the Wrangler as my daily driver. I hunt and fish, so I will be taking if off road. I hope that sometime in the future I can take it on some trails out west.
    Your profile says you live in southern IN. That puts you within reasonable driving distance of Turkey Bay. When you get that Jeep, come on down and wheel with me!

What town do you live in? Email me, if you don't want to say where you live here on the forum. My Email is public in my profile.

By ALL MEANS get 3.73 gearing. I'll have to go back to read your post again, but I THINK you said you are going to get the "tire and wheel package." If that is the "AAS" package that you are talking about, you will LOVE it, and 3.73 gearing is included.

The factory limited slip is called TracLoc. Some people belittle it, since it has clutches that will eventually wear out. If you are not going to install a locker or some after market limited slip, then the TracLoc is much better than an open differential.

Gredden, while your tires are brand new, try to get a good deal on trade-in and buy yourself some good mud tires. Those factory GSA'a are not called Get Stuck Anywhere's for nothing. They are just highway tread, and they are very unsuitable for off roading in our area, where mud is often encountered.

You might as well get the biggest tires that will fit your stock Jeep (no lift), and those would be 31" x 10.50" tires.

Ask around and make your mind up based on your research, but I run BFG Mud Terrains, and they are great mud tires. They DO have weak side walls, but they are great in the mud. I avoid mud when I can, but there's no way to stay out of it all together where I wheel. If you are going into the woods for hunting and fishing, then you will need some good mud tires.

I recommend a winch as one of your first mods, since it sounds like you will be out in the boonies by yourself sometimes on your hunting or fishing trips. A winch can save the day for ya.

Good luck in getting yourself just the right Jeep! Ask any and all questions that come to mind.

Tom

Everything Jeff said about aftermarket is true.

Just keep in mind that the salesman telling you to settle for a Jeep with the main compnents, and get the rest aftermarket, while not incorrect, is in the business of selling you a Wrangler. On his lot. Right now. I never get tired of pointing out that my "knowledgeable" Jeep salesman drove a RAV4 which made his advice very circumspect (nothing against RAV4s).

If you're the type who enjoys aftermarket optioning, you're in for a world of fun. Especially with the help of the guys on this board. (Don't get Tom starrted on ties and winches!) But for guys like me, who didn't want to mess with that, I waited and demanded the exact Jeep I wanted.

No idea about the fender flares, so I guess I haven't really helped at all.

Good luck.

-Mike
    You mentioned "trails out west." If you mean rock crawling, then be sure to get the Dana 44 rear axle. That is also part of that AAS package, so as long as you get a Jeep that has that package, you are covered on the Dana 44.

The Dana 44 is a heavier duty axle than the standard Dana 35, and it will support the combination of larger tires and a locker, in case you ever want to put a full locker in your rear axle. That limited slip will be good enough for you to start with, but if you ever get into serious off roading, you will want a full locker.

Now, you can't order an 05 any more, so I assume you are just going to be looking for a Jeep in someone's inventory that fits the bill? Be careful. Some of those salesmen will tell you anything. Some of them honestly don't know squat about Wranglers. VERIFY that the Jeep has the Dana 44 axle (if that's what you want) or whatever other options you want. Check the option list on the window sticker.

Tomster

Hey, just saw it on the following link... I was looking at them too. Let me know how you like it!

http://www.jeepworld.com/accessories/wrangler/dolly.htm
    Thanks for the advice for aftermarket stuff. I think I'm leaning on getting an Unlimited with the "H" Package which gives you allot of stuff... just didn't know if I could save some money, and get the same thing after-market.

Since I'm probably getting the "H" Package (and very much like you wanting to get just the way I want it), that package gives me some "bling" to get started. I think I'll be looking for the some good looking running boards though, since the factory stuff doesn't really jump out at me... Any suggestions (picture) on some hot looking running boards?

P.S. Thanks for the thoughts... just talking to other folks really helps in making some of these decisions!
  • karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    Thanks gsyoung! Once again this forum never has disappointed me...

I cannot wait for the first day I take out my Unlimited topless... hopefully Chicago weather cooperates with me this summer....
    Friday I decided I'd had enough and needed a break. Saturday we drove down to La Jolla and Oceanside, opened the top and enjoyed the incredible beach weather. Then this morning we closed up the top and turned on the air conditioning - it was in the 90s inland and too hot for sunshine. Love the Unimited's Sunrider option!
    not as easy as some say,, but its on. the hitch was a bit too snug to just slip in place. a bit of convincing from a floor jack and hammer, and its on :) . I took pictures, but she's not too sure of having her pictures posted on line.. :(

my 04 had the wiring connections in the rear passenger wheel well, her 05 was in the rear drivers wheel well. I took a couple pictures of what the connection looks like if anyone that is doing this for the first time wants to see what to look for, drop me an email (address in my profile ) I can send a pic of what to look for.

I still can't convince her to take her's offroad.

jeff

3 days of clear weather predicted, tops down!!
    When are you going to get down here and wheel with me???

Also, let's try to set up something on your end at Rockport.

Tomster

>Then this morning we closed up the top and turned on the air conditioning - it was in the 90s inland and too hot for sunshine.

I was in Burbank today and understand completely. Sometimes it's just too hot to go topless.

-Mike
  • bindercatbindercat Member Posts: 2
    Hi Jeep Wrangler people! I have owned my 2005 Jeep for approx 1 year and I love it. However, I purchased my Jeep with a hard top, never seeing why I would want to take it off...... DAH!!!! Anyway, I am a small, single, female and I think I would like to purchase a soft top to put on in the summer time. (I live in Michigan, so summer would be May to Sept.) Everything I have read tells me how difficult it is going to be. I even called my Jeep dealership and asked if I purchased a top, if they could put it on and take it off for me, and they said NO. :cry: Please direct me as to difficulty, types, fabrics, etc. NOTHING will insult my intelligence! THANKS! :confuse:
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Soft tops are NOT hard to put up down at all. It just takes a few times doing it.

You will probably need the following:
    - door surrounds (depends on full or half doors, etc)
    - Soft top hardware and mounting points on your roll cage
    - Soft top (DUH!) :)

Issues you have to deal with include:
    - Where will you store your hard top while off. Many have hard top hoists and leave it hanging in their garage.
    - Where will you store your soft top while the hard top is on. You don't want both on at the same time.

You can find hardware and software to do this using either factory parts or you can go aftermarket. Bestop makes a top, but I am not sure they sell the hardware to mount it. www.quadratec.com or www.bestop.com are great places to get educated. You can find stuff (factory and aftermarket) from eBay as well.

If you can post some specs about your Jeep (full or half doors - I suspect you have full) and such, that would help. To see what door surrounds are, look at the attached pic. It is my Jeep (soft top only) with the safari top, which is different from a regular soft top. The curved plastic around my driver door is the door surround and is used to attach not only the top, but the rear side windows. If you don't have these on your Jeep, you'll need something that will work with whatever soft top you go with.

-Paul
    In the above post, I didn't circle the surrounds. In the first attached image here, I did. You can see the safari (and soft tops) connect into channels on the surrounds, so the upper part of the surround is hidden.

In the second image, you can see the surrounds with NO top on. They actually attach directly to the sport cage above the doors.

Hope this helps some.

-Paul
  • bindercatbindercat Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick reply, Paul. My Jeep is either a "sport" or an "X". It has full doors and windows. To show you how clueless I am, when I was purchasing my Jeep, I asked for electric windows and heated seats. The salesman got a big kick out of that. But fortuantely he was a Wrangler owner himself. I like the look of the "Safari" top but I have two small dogs, and would need to have use of the back seat. What about the ones where the top folds back....?
    that folds back. I just leave it off when the safari is on. You could go with a net system, like Raingler (www.raingler.com) that you could use to keep the dogs in if you wanted to go with no top or a safari top.

You can get heated seats for a Wrangler - aftermarket from Bestop actually.

Sounds like you would need the surrounds with any soft top you purchase. Here is a link to Bestop's Supertop - http://www.bestop.com/index.php?s=2 that would have the hardware you need. This is not an OEM replacement - the factory hardware is different. But this solution would let you have a full top to take up/down easily.

If you want factory hardware, here is an example of one on eBay. This setup would let you use the Replace-a-top from Bestop.
    -Paul
    my girlfriend just got a sport about 3 weeks ago,, she has already put the top up and down several times, she doesn't have any problems with it, you'll be fine!! . she has a small dog too,,, she's going to start using some sort of short leash that fastens to the seat belt,,,

putting the top on the first time is a little more work than normal, and you will need help lifting the soft top off.

Single / Female show up at a local jeep club meeting and say you need some help swapping on a soft top, you will have all the help you need.

Heck, most jeepers would even offer to help a old, bald guy with a beer belly

jeff

not quite old yet, far from bald, and my beer belly is still under control
  • jonnythrottlejonnythrottle Member Posts: 2
    Don't worry about it. It might leak a little, but you will be fine. I power wash mine all the time. The brush car washed are the ones to stay away from. They are harder on the plastic windows
  • jonnythrottlejonnythrottle Member Posts: 2
    like everyone is saying, its not hard to deal with the soft top. If you dont have anything in your jeep of value anyway, i would say just leave it off most the time. I have had mine off for a month now (rain or shine or cold), doors too. It is a blast not having the top
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    As most of you know, I have a 1999 Sahara. Each front seat has a black canvas strap/loop attached to the seat's outboard edge. Pulling the strap releases the seatback allowing it to fold forward. Now for the problem-This morning the driver's seat release strap came off in my hand. Can anyone give me some advice on how to repair the seat without haveng to tear into the whole tilt/release mechanism? Thanks!
    try http://www.4x4xplor.com/seattrack.html. I didn't know the nylon strap thing connected to anything, but I can't say as I've really looked at it either. :)

If it isn't attached to anything, couldn't you just stitch it back on to the seat. Got pics of it?

-Paul
    I know exactly what you mean - my '98 Sport is the same way. It always looked to me like you'd have to undo the stitching on the seat in order to get at where that strap attaches to the seat release mechanism. Maybe the answer is to not ever try to tilt the driver's seat forward? I know, not exactly an option, is it. Good luck with it and I hope you can solve it without having to tear the seat apart. If it happens to the '98 I think my other half would just replace the seat...
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Yep, it's attached to the linkage that allows the seat to tilt forward; I'm going to try to find a way to get at it-too stubborn for my own good I suppose... I'll let you know what happens.
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    I've had my front seats apart and have some pictures of how the seat pull attaches to the mechanism. Did the entire cable come off or just the pull loop? I have some pictures here which may help to determine where the problem is:

http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/seatheat.htm

-twylie
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    You may consider contacting the manufacturer of the seat. Sometimes, and I emphasize "sometimes" manufacturers are more than willing to send you replacement parts or provide technical information. If you are cordial and approach them in the right manner you may get a considerable amount of assistance.

Good luck!!!
    would have something for this. :) Having installed the seat heaters, he has had a good luck at the inside. :)

Hey, ewylie, my OME finally shipped! :) The next two weekends are booked (going to Missouri, then to the coast for the wife's bday), then I'll actually have a weekend to get it all installed! :) WOO HOO!

-Paul
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Twylie, cool site. I surfed around your Jeep stuff. Some great info there. Thanks.
  • blue_jepp_wrablue_jepp_wra Member Posts: 24
    Looks like on thursday I will be picking my new jeep up at the dealer it has 24 miles on it. It is a blue 2005 jeep wrangler x with full metal doors and a hard top. It is going to be weird with my gas mileage going from 35 in my civic to 18 in the jeep but oh well you only live once
    Blue:

Welcome to Edmunds Jeep Wrangler, and CONGRATS on that brand new Jeep!

You only THINK you know how much fun it will be, if you have never owned a Jeep before. It is going to be 100 times more fun than you could possibly imagine.

Really happy for ya, Blue. Be sure and post your first impressions after you pick that puppy up. Do you think you will ever off road with it?

Hey, if you really wanted your user name to be "blue_jeep_wra" instead of "blue_jepp_wra," one of our hosts, Steve or Tidester, can fix it for ya.

Stick around and become one of the gang here. Glad you posted.

Tomster

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    can fix it for ya

Heh, we can float the request and it goes through channels and if the spokes are aligned right and the CEL isn't on, sometimes the member name can be changed. It's a big hassle trying to fight the database though, so it's rarely done.

Besides, Blu_jepp_wra is unique!

Steve, Host
    Wow I thought I put my name as jeep oh well. I live in vermont and have a cobin in new york so i plan on going off road quiet a bit. I'll probley post a couple pics and my review on it. I am so anxious I cant wait to get it. The dealer just called about putting a hitch and front and rear double bumper things on in black they look kick [non-permissible content removed]. I plan to keep posting in this forum for a while.
    Dan
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    You'll never get 18 mpg...unless you're going down a very long hill.
    i have heard of countless people on hear getting that high or higher