Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

A Mechanic's Life - Tales From Under the Hood

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,741
    I'd be sure to break any clips on the trim around the steering column first thing

That's OK you don't get paid for comebacks and things broken negligently will be deducted from your pay if it happens more than once. ;)
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    You forgot the
    'no TSB's found'

That and the
    "no codes detected"

Describes my most recent dealership visit (Even though I know of a TSB that 'seems' to fit symptoms and also states no codes may be present)
    Describes my most recent dealership visit (Even though I know of a TSB that 'seems' to fit symptoms and also states no codes may be present)

Hey Ray.

Tell us, what is the symptom you are referring to, Make, model, year and engine and if you have the TSB# what is it?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lots of TSBs are limited by VIN so if that's how the dealer searched for it, that may be why it didn't show up.
    edited July 2013
    Lots of TSBs are limited by VIN so if that's how the dealer searched for it, that may be why it didn't show up.

And with good reason. A TSB is often related to discovering an issue with a given component that was produced during a given time period and could have been provided by a specific vendor. Anything outside of the cut point could have already addressed the issue that the TSB is supposed to correct.

If someone's skills as a tech are limited to grabbing a TSB and throwing the alleged fix at a car, without confirming and proving that it was valid each and every time then he/she will endure a very high percentage of comebacks, and would have a very short career as a tech.

That's why I would like to know the specifics here, so that I can see if the TSB is really appropriate to the issue. One problem however is with the TSB information already in hand it would be easy for someone to bias their description of the symptom to make it more likely to fit the TSB when it may not truly be the same.
    Ok since you asked (I'll try not to write a book). First off I am in no way an auto-tech and don't pretend to be. I do however diagnosis things in a different line of work and know you sometimes have to look beyond basic symptoms to find answers ( I also know I may be full of poo poo, wouldn't be the first time). I am not whining about dealership, if something was missed, oh well it happens. I know it may or may not the TSB I have seen.

Now for the other stuff.

Its a 2011 GMC Terrain V6 AWD

I had been noticing for quite a while I wasn't getting the MPG's I would expect (pleez pleeez pleeeez don't get stuck on that. I know about various things like driver habits, road/weather conditions).

While pondering why this might be I happened to notice the HVAC system didn't appear to work as I would expect.
    When driving along with vehicle at normal operating temp, A/C /recirc/defrost / auto-climate / last setting feature all OFF I noticed when turning temp up a bit (heater) it would have warm output to begin with, but then would get noticeably cooler within a couple minutes. This did not seem right to me (as HVAC was in Manual mode). It would be the same every time I upped the temp.

My suspicion was perhaps A/C or auto-climate was coming on, or being on when it shouldn't be (A/C does have a price in MPG doesn't it?)

I did a little UN-technical test one weekend with A/C and all the other stuff mentioned above OFF. On a flat road with cruise set to 56 for 80 miles or so
    I had reset the aver MPG on D.I.C. display (usually close to calculated) and obtained 24.5 mpg.

The next weekend I took a similar trip (flat road cruise set to 56 and around
    the same number of miles, weather about the same), only this time I tried to take HVAC out of the picture by pushing the fan button to turn it off completely, the results, 27.3 MPG

I took it to the dealer for the potential HVAC issue, explaining the TEMP change that I didn't think should happen and my thoughts about A/C being on.

I was very hesitant about mentioning MPG's (and correctly so) because I thought they would turn it into MPG complaint. Despite me verbally explaining it was NOT an MPG issue and that my mileage IMPROVED on the second trip, they wrote it up as an MPG thing and spent x amount of time doing scan and adjusting air pressure, blah, blah blah.

PI-0622 talks about unexpected temp changes and as I recall (can't find the whole TSB now) codes may or may not be set.

Please feel free to explain the error in my thoughts if I'm wrong, I'm not sensitive :)

( I forgot the part that I had gotten better mileage until I had used auto-climate for the first time, and again its not on now).

Dealership, as an attempt to fix, re did the flash/program for HVAC system.

Haven't had a chance to do my UN-technical check yet to see if its mode to my liking.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    edited July 2013
    I'll relate my own story without trying to project upon yours....

My Fiesta always kicks on the A/C compressor when I have the car set in "defrost" mode, regardless of temp setting on the dial. I lose a good 2+ MPG when this is in place. I used to always use my cars in split defrost/floor mode, as that is how I prefer to get my fresh air in the car, but cannot do that with this one.

Drives me nuts, and makes no sense (they say it is to help improve the defrost functionality, which is bunk - I have never had an issue with a windshield fogging due to humidity in any car, and none before this one have had that "feature" that I can tell). As an added bonus, I cannot use my defrost mode on a warm, rainy day. If I have the temp setting on "cold" and have it in defrost, the interior radiator for the A/C will ice up after about 100 miles, which means I get no air flow at all. Workaround? Set the temp to close to the junction between the "blue" and "red" sides of the dial, and roast in the car. *facepalm*
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    What Gm is doing to newly trained techs is exactly why unions were formed.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Yes, and then the unions got out of control.

I predict there will be a MASSIVE shortage of techs in the very near future.

They are generally not a happy bunch and many will do their best to discourage others from getting into the trade.

It used to be a good mechanic with the right skills and tools could usually beat the book times and make a decent living.

From everything I hear, this is simply no longer the case.
    Did you ever nice that no-one ever dares write about the practices that drive a lot of the good techs from the trade? They are all to happy to grandstand when they catch a thief, but don't do anything about why he was the last one standing. Heck they even turn around and do their best to exhonerate the manufacturers and their dealers. But do anything that works to lay blame where it really belongs? Not in our lifetimes..,.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I've known a couple MB techs - both got out of the dealer business and opened independent shops. It might be a local thing, as indy specialized make shops seem to do well here. I wonder if that creates competition for the dealer to offer better conditions to keep skilled people.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    the "blame" is really in the training system. We have no real apprenticeship program in place in this country, and so the level of incompetence in auto repair is bound to be high to begin with.

How could it be otherwise, with no licensing?

A contractor can't practice without a license, nor an electrician.

Added to that is exploitation of the technician by profit-squeezing dealerships and franchises.

Added to that is automotive technology expanding much faster than on the job training could possibly handle.

If Doc could charge as much tuition as a state college to train young technicians, how's that for a win-win for everybody?
    edited July 2013
    A TSB is often related to discovering an issue with a given component that was produced during a given time period and could have been provided by a specific vendor. Anything outside of the cut point could have already addressed the issue that the TSB is supposed to correct.

Makes sense ... but ... I frequently read stories where people have had the same symptoms that are described in a TSB but are denied help because their VIN falls outside the range. That scenario sure comes up a lot for situations that are not "truly" the same. And the owners then go on to fix their problem by doing the TSB steps themselves.

I think it's more of a bean-counting issue and more often an attempt to limit warranty payouts. You also see the manufacturers trying to limit coverage when the car issue is related to weather. Lots of people get denied because they don't live far enough north or south, even though they have the same issue covered by the TSB.

Your comment about "no-one ever dares write about the practices that drive a lot of the good techs from the trade" - well, that story isn't complete buried. It's just not as eyeball grabbing as catching some sleezeball ripping off consumers. Eyeballs sell ads.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    My Fiesta always kicks on the A/C compressor when I have the car set in "defrost" mode,

I've never owned a car that didn't do that, heck even my 79 Continental did.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited July 2013
    From my perspective, it is just a direction for the car to blow air, much like the face or floor vents. Now, I admit that many of the cars I've had did not have A/C on them in the first place, but those that do/did never have issues with:

1. Vent system freeze-up
    2. Noticeable change in fuel economy

So, unless the system on the Fiesta has some sort of issue (design or otherwise), I have to surmise that the other units did not engage the A/C unnecessarily like this. I mean, the FE change on the Fiesta is seriously appreciable. For example, I was running 44 MPG on my current tank for the first 150 miles or so, then we had a couple of days of heavily humid, cool (high 50s/low 60s) weather where I found I needed to use defrost setting to set the air blowing on the windshield to prevent fogging, and after two days of that (~50 miles), my FE was down to 38.

But, on the plus side, I guess the solution is simple enough.... just take the A/C belt off! I hadn't thought about that before, but such a simple solution! Problem solved. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    All my vehicles are like that also. Fairly often on mine they fog on inside so the warm drier air helps evaporate the moisture better. Of course if the fog is on outside extra fuel is being wasted
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    edited July 2013
    Your evaporator should not be icing under any normal operating condition. Have your dealer check for a faulty expansion valve and/or a possible over or under fill of R134a. edit or for a faulty lower fan speed resistor? i.e. fan not actually running? That would allow an otherwise correctly function A/C system ice the evaporator.. This particular scenario was just discovered by Shiftright on his MINI. Some circuits tho are usually wired thru the fan switch to avoid this so if the fan does not come on (your interior blower fan), then the compressor doesn't either...there are tons of differences among the brands, even tho most do end up following the relative same end-result rules.

I concur with your frustrations tho regarding any defrost (or part defrost...that's where they basically really screw it up) tripping the A/C. Parts of this puzzle is because of a few idiot-proofing attempts. The primary one being a customer complaining of a fogged windshield, but ignorantly having the recir door closed..so duh...your source of humidity is the occupants breathing. Simple fix, but idiots always prevail in this world as everything is built to the absolute lowest common denominator. :sick:

So they know that if you have chosen recirc door closed on purpose, but require a defrost of the windshield then if the air is conditioned, problem, solved..now...to make it not so simple tho, not all brands do this..sometimes hitting defrost will open recirc door to fresh air mode. But the A/C compressor still runs.

Now..also..one of the reasons they have the compressor cycle in deforst mode is they want the compressor to cycle regularly throughout the year to keep seals well flexed and the system lubed inside. It does make sense.

I can't speak for your Fiesta, but Honda does let you program your own HVAC control pod. It is not told on the OM, but the process is out there if you Google it. I decided to do it, BUT, I also did so knowing to deliberately cycle my compressor often during off seasons and/or after a defrost mode setting that triggers the compressor (it still comes on) I leave it cycle a few times at the minor expense of FE for only a few miles. The difference tho, is now when I hit a defrost mode that cycles the compressor, I can hit the A/C button and turn the compressor back off at will, yet the system stays in defrost. Check with Ford...they may reluctantly tell you how to set yours up the same if that is allowed. Knowing Ford though (the control freaks that they are), their system probably does not allow this mod.
    You hit the nail on the head.

Anyone can buy a set of tools and get hired as a "mechanic".

Of course they probably won't last long but until they wash out they can do a lot of damage.

The price of a quality set of tools is staggering and ongoing. An electrician can carry everything he needs in a hand held tote tray in most cases and the technology doesn't change every year.

I know that if had a young friend or family member approach me and express
    a desire to enter the automotive trade repairing cars, I would have a serious
    chat with them in an attempt to change their minds.

The business has changed and in my opinion, not for the good.
    That is all very interesting, gimme! I have an appointment to have a bunch of warranty stuff looked at next week; perhaps I should mention this as well? I'm not sure how they could replicate it without similar conditions, but, from my perspective, the system was trying to work, there just wasn't much air movement through the vents. The blower motor was operating full bore.

I ended up having to run the last 200+ miles to home with the windows down enough to circulate air to keep the windshield relatively transparent, but up enough to keep rainwater out of the car (it literally rained for that whole 330-mile trip!

In order to get it to work again, I had to put the heat on full bore and, after about 45 minutes, it was back to substantial air flow.

So, interesting that you mention the recirculation-while-on-defrost. The Fiesta allows me to do that. No other car that I have owned has. Perhaps that's the difference? Also, I hadn't thought about the need to cycle for the health of seals, etc., but can see the value in that. I'll look to other mitigation options first before resorting to belt removal.
    I see shops touting ASE as a credential for their mechanics. Does that mean anything ?
    edited July 2013
    But, on the plus side, I guess the solution is simple enough.... just take the A/C belt off

If diabling the system is what you want to do, removing the fuse or the relay for the compressor would be much easier.

From my perspective, it is just a direction for the car to blow air, much like the face or floor vents. Now, I admit that many of the cars I've had did not have A/C on them in the first place, but those that do/did never have issues with:

1. Vent system freeze-up
    2. Noticeable change in fuel economy

The system freezing up suggests that the low side temp (and of course pressure) was too low. There should be controls to prevent that from occurring. The evaporator discharge temperature sensor connects directly to the instrument cluster to send that information on to the network and if the evaporator gets cold enough to freeze, the PCM should have commanded the compressor off.

As far as the fuel economy implications, the harder that the system is working, which means the more heat that it is pumping the more that the fuel economy will be affected. Once the evaporator iced up, the system wouldn't be doing any work at all.
    edited July 2013
    I see shops touting ASE as a credential for their mechanics. Does that mean anything ?

It does to me, but if it really means anything that can only be judged by everyone elses opinion. So, lets find out.

What does a tech having ASE certifications mean to YOU?

(You being eveybody that has been lurking, as well as taking part in this forum).

Be advised I'll be happy to forward all of the opinions voiced to ASE.
    To me, it means that person took the time to study to pass the ASE exams which used to be pretty challenging.

If a shop will only hire ASE certified techs to me, that would be a good sign.

Still, there are a lot of guys who are great techs who see little value in getting ASE certified.

Well for one thing it means you are a good test-taker. It may not mean you are a good mechanic.

What i mean is--just because you are good at figuring out their "trick questions", does translate into diagnostic skills on a car?
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the extra info. Based on yours and GST's responses, I have to say that it is likely something was not working properly on the car for the freeze up to happen.

As for fuel economy, A/C use only noticeably affects it at low speed driving (such as around town, commuting stuff, which is the type of driving I was doing with that ~44 mpg tank). On the highway, I can't tell a noticeable difference. I've run to Palmer and back without the A/C and returned about 40 mpg, and then also used the A/C the whole time and returned about the same. But, I do notice that the car's responsiveness is sluggish with the A/C running, so it's obviously creating some parasitic loss (probably has something to do with the little 1.6L, 120 hp engine?).

On the flip side, when I do want the A/C to cool the interior of the car, it does a really good job. :P It reminds me of the system on my Dodge Grand Caravan. That thing had an amazingly good HVAC despite the cavernous interior and generous glass.

I'm curious about your thoughts on Ray's vehicle.
    Anyone can buy a set of tools and get hired as a "mechanic".
    Of course they probably won't last long but until they wash out they can do a lot of damage

In some cases with a good mentoring program and keeping them doing the easiest stuff, they can get a foothold and be productive up to a certain level. We have too many in the trade like that.

The price of a quality set of tools is staggering and ongoing.

I have more money in my hand tools than our house cost. By the time you count what I own as shop tools I'm now over 300K. And it will all be worth pennies on the dollar when I'm gone. We aren't even counting the "vaporware" that we have to "rent" each year now. (15K-20K)

I know that if had a young friend or family member approach me and express
    a desire to enter the automotive trade repairing cars, I would have a serious
    chat with them in an attempt to change their minds. i>

Did you happen to notice there was no where to comment on that UTI press release?
    Well for one thing it means you are a good test-taker. It may not mean you are a good mechanic.

How would our college graduates that frequent these forums feel if their diploma's were thought of the same way?

What i mean is--just because you are good at figuring out their "trick questions", does translate into diagnostic skills on a car?

First of all, they are not all "trick questions". Many are purely product knowledge based. But in some ways one of the faults is ASE has to be generally based while we have manufacturers training and certifications that are very specific. Could you imagine what it would be like if someone had to have Ford factory certs to do anything with a Ford product? Some would like to see that today, just image what the cost to be an independent would be if that was the case. It's already gotten to be impossible to do all makes and models, especially with the high tech stuff. Doing just the big seven like I do demands way more study-time than people expect.

Did you ever look into the L1 Advanced Diagnostic Certification? The best way to describe that test is it measures how well a technician can read and apply information to a generic vehicle on the fly. That test mimics what I do day in and day out in the shop. It genuinely measures who is a diagnostic technician and who is not.
    "How would our college graduates that frequent these forums feel if their diplomas were thought of the same way? "

I think the comparison is quite apt actually. Would you let a surgeon cut you open based on the high score on his biology examination?

But no, I have not see the advanced testing. I was reading a typical test on brakes and suspension and noticed right away that the advantage goes to the applicant who knows how to read trick questions and how to outsmart the test.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    The RH Xenon lamp on my son's 2004 X3 began acting up again and finally went belly up; I asked my SA about it and, like me, he though it was probably the ignitor. So-like an idiot-instead of just swapping in a new bulb(which I already had) or swapping ignitors side to side to verify the problem I went ahead and bought an ignitor. Guess what was bad. Oh well, at least I now have a spare ignitor. The new bulb is quite a bit whiter than the LH bulb, which is acquiring a pinkish hue. That's an indication that the LH bulb is probably not long for this world- so if my son takes the truck to college I'll go ahead and install the other bulb before he leaves.

As for long term high mileage BMW ownership, the X3 recently passed the 155,000 mile mark. The costs of non-scheduled repairs has averaged out to eight cents per mile since it hit 100,000 miles. That number would be considerably less if the sled wasn't AWD, as the stupid transfer case was the one major repair. Since the truck has been paid off since 2007 I still think I'm way ahead of someone who flips a car every 3-5 years and always has a car loan or lease payment.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited July 2013
    Not bad, but I can't resist saying that my number is .05 cents a mile and includes everything but gas. A lot of that number is tires and brakes - shoot, it's a penny a mile just for tires.

I'm behind on figuring my total running costs but as of '05, that number was running .38 cents a mile. Toss in depreciation and it's a more realistic .54 cents a mile, give or take.

It really helps that a new headlight bulb for the van costs maybe $9. :shades:
    I don't bother figuring out my cost per mile on our cars nor do I check gas mileage often. I figure it is what it is.

When one headlight bulb failed after nine years on one of our CRV's, I changed both of them. I figured they were installed at the same time and rather than wait I just changed it ahead of time.

I do that with car batteries too. Five years is enough and I want to do it on MY schedule rather than getting stranded some dark rainy night.
    edited July 2013
    We all have our idiosyncrasies hobbies. :-)

I'm sure Roadburner would have died of boredom if he'd been forced to drive my minivan for the last decade while I'm looking forward to packing it next week for another road trip.

Assuming the last repair continues to hold up of course.

Unfortunately to us frugal types, the $700 light bulb scenario has trickled down to minivans now. :sick: May as well lease a Bimmer and get the free maintenance for 4 years, rinse and repeat.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    ASE= Reputable, Professional, Trustworthy, Trained

Bozo= Not
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Unfortunately to us frugal types, the $700 light bulb scenario has trickled down to minivans now.

Actually, the bulb was $39.50 from Amazon. The unneeded ignitor was $95.40 from my dealer. Nine years and 155k miles from a bulb isn't all that bad, methinks.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I think the comparison is quite apt actually. Would you let a surgeon cut you open based on the high score on his biology examination?

So what do they call the person who graduates last in his class at medical school?

But no, I have not see the advanced testing. I was reading a typical test on brakes and suspension and noticed right away that the advantage goes to the applicant who knows how to read trick questions and how to outsmart the test.

"We are working on that" is the best that I can say. When ASE pulls a team together to re-write a test, each question goes through some serious debate so that the team makes sure that being able to answer it correctly demonstrates competence in that small aspect of the career that the question is focused on. Trying to use testing to measure the kinds of skills that a tech has to bring to the job is a daunting challenge and of course the tests have to change all of the time or else someone really could study for them and then they lose some of their effectiveness.

Today, if someone cannot pass the tests then they really aren't the people that the consumers need us to have in the shops. Being able to reason out the correct answer during testing in some cases is a measurement of the techs critical thinking skills.

I towed in a Hyundai from a transmission shop yesterday. (approx. a 2000 iirc) I'll start working with it on Monday. The report is that it runs poor, stalls, and has little to no power at times and it also sets a code for one of the solenoid circuits going open in the transaxle. The performance issue (reportedly) wasn't present before the transmission failed and was rebuilt, and apparently we don't know if the solenoid circuit issue predates the transmission failure or not. The solenoid circuit failure is random in nature and it may be a week or more before it occurs and I could easily only get one shot at identifying the cause.

ASE testing today is still a minimum standard, but its the only one we have. We don't have a way of measuring a techs ability to tackle the kind of problem that this Hyundai is presenting. The L1 comes close to examining the knowledge and the attention to detail that is required, but it cannot measure the disciplined approach that will be demanded. Certification testing measures how well someone has a grasp on things they have done repeatedly. The Hyundai will be the first and likely the only time I ever deal with this specific system, and failure isn't an option no matter what it takes. At the same time, someone selling tires, changing oil and hanging brakes will make a lot more money for the time that will be invested into this Hyundai, think about that.

The drivability issue on the Hyundai will be gravy, but the transmission control solenoid circuit will require me to set as many testing points as I can and when the problem occurs, even if its for just for a fraction of a second over 100 miles of rural driving I have to have proof of what it is. Otherwise I'll have to change my test routine and wait for the next occurrence. These problems can only be beat with patience and a good plan, and quite often the good plan is yet to be figured out.
    edited July 2013
    I lied - the one replacement headlight bulb cost me $11 in '05. The other OEM one is okay at 186k. The brake light bulbs are $1.50. But you do see stories like this one more and more. (He doesn't mention what car he drives).

Need New Headlights? That'll Be $700....

That's for an assembly but even so, the labor for simple bulb replacements is getting up there for some cars. It's funny how many hits you get searching for "$700 headlamp replacement". Seems to be the magic number.

I do have some miniature instrument panel bulbs that are burnt out and they are hard to find. That was going to be my summer project but I've postponed it again. These days I don't drive much in the dark anyway.
    I would agree with that. If you can't pass the ASE tests, you should have that wrench slapped out of your hand---at least if you are working on other people's cars.

I tend to regard that ASE certificate on the wall as an indication of the technician's motivation and desire for self-improvement rather than a warranty that he'll fix my car first time every time.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I wonder what kind of car that was...replacing an assembly is not routine wear and tear - he bought a messed up car, and now gets to pay the price. Oh well. That's what junkyards or ebay are for. In a modern MB, the ones I know anyway, bulb replacement is easy, there is room behind the assembly, and usually a little door or cover to access the light.

Sealed beam style lights must be the easiest and cheapest - but it's not 1968 anymore.
    I haven't been to a service dept. lately but I remember seeing multiple certificates from ASE and in dealers, certificates in specific areas like A/C etc.
    do techs have to participate in regular updated training to keep the certification intact ?
    edited July 2013
    for "Master Technician" certificates, you must re-certify every 5 years (tests A1 through A8) or you lose that status.
    edited July 2013
    Where's Gimmee? Is this the norm for most provinces and territories?

"Automotive Service Technicians must be certified to work in Ontario. The legislation that regulates this trade is the Apprenticeship and Certification Act (1998). This law states that all Automotive Service Technicians must have a valid Certificate of Qualification or be registered as an apprentice before they can work in Ontario. It is illegal to work as an Automotive Service Technician in Ontario without a certificate. Cerfitifed skilled workers in compulsory trades must be members of the Ontario College of Trades."

Career Map: Automotive Service Technician
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    I couldn't find better info than you did right there with that link, Steve. Some of what I read there seemed about right. I vaguely recall them getting more serious about certifying or having more definitive min requirements back in the 90's.

In my mind, the rates between a plumber, electrician and auto mechanic have never made much sense to me...and that goes back long before the 90's. In fact as long as I remember. But that said, at least 40-50 years ago, vehicles were a LOT more basic. Probably the most complicated component of a car back then was the innards of an auto tranny. in terms of electrical knowledge needed, I would rate it a slot more demanding still tho than an electrician...so why such variations in rates? As for the higher pd plumber, well.. we all know they get paid to get pretty dirty at times..and it is the kinda dirt that I would take car repair dirt (and various auto related stenches) under my fingernails anyday over black water plumbing repairs.

While I had a fairly mechanical backgrd as a kid growing up, I was shortchanged of course when Dad got killed when I was just starting to get the bug. And FF another 5 years or so and there was a time I considered an electrician apprenticeship. The reason I think I didn't follow through with that plan was the relentless boredom and lack of challenge that comes with that job. I will say though, as someone who has wired my entire house from scratch, done pretty involved auto and truck repairs, and all my own plumbing (and have done plumbing /electrical on the side since) the one really cool thing about being an electrician, is it is possible to do that job 100% fault free. (assuming you're careful not to over/undertorque connections...as just one example) With mechanics it can never be perfect. Same with carpentry, plumbing etc etc.

My old GF's son did an electrician apprenticeship a number of years ago now...I guess about 10. He worked a couple years after his certification for a guy, but now has his own business. It is certainly the cleanest of the 3 big trades. But oh so booooring :sick:
    IMO, anyway..
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Did you ever nice that no-one ever dares write about the practices that drive a lot of the good techs from the trade?

So then, who do expect to do that - go after the manufacturers/dealers who are putting together the unreasonable flat-rate manuals? Almost any entity that would try to do that (Edmunds, any of the big networks) would probably be threatened with a withdrawal of the ad revenues that many rely on to survive. Maybe someplace like CU that doesn't accept ads at all could do that. Or one of the big newspapers like the NY Times or Washington Post, that are big enough to face down a threat to pull ads.
    So what do they call the person who graduates last in his class at medical school?

What do they call the midshipman who graduated last in his class at the Academy? Senator!
    I don't bother figuring out my cost per mile on our cars nor do I check gas mileage often. I figure it is what it is.

My 2007 Caravan with 140K miles on it has only cost me 2.6 cents/mile for maintenance (tires, brakes, etc) and repairs.

OTOH, the '87 '325 I had for 13 years set me back 8.2 cents/mile for maintenance and repairs.
    So then, who do expect to do that - go after the manufacturers/dealers who are putting together the unreasonable flat-rate manuals? Almost any entity that would try to do that (Edmunds, any of the big networks) would probably be threatened with a withdrawal of the ad revenues that many rely on to survive.

One dealer tech describes this current round of cuts as the manufacturer waging war on their own product support people. This has happened over and over again through the years, and just about every manufacturer has taken shots at the techs, and then they turn around and try to paint rosy pictures like that UTI press release.
    Written by one of the best techs in the country and posted in the iATN.

With permission from James A.

G.M. has lately been bemoaning the fact that the number of
    new techs entering the dealer ranks are rapidly declining.
    Also, new hires do not last very long and are leaving the
    dealerships in droves when they discover all the empty
    promises made to them during schooling were all false. When
    a new tech is thrown onto the line and finds that he cannot
    purchase tools and pay his bills on the meager times that
    G.M. offers for each job, he leaves for greener pastures.

Here is G.M.'s answer to this problem.

On Monday, July 15, 2013, GM finalized an agreement with
    Universal Technical Institute (UTI) to pilot a 12-week GM
    specific elective training program for UTI graduates. The
    pilot will begin December 2013 at UTI's Avondale campus just
    outside of Phoenix, Arizona. The program includes web-based
    training, instructor led training, lab exercises, virtual
    classroom training and training videos. It covers around 70%
    of GM Service Training Standards (STS) requirements. The
    program covers most automotive areas with a heavy emphasis
    on electrical training. This program is one of several
    initiatives targeted to recruit and retain the best
    technicians possible for GM dealerships; it's designed to
    complement GM ASEP. GM remains committed to ASEP and
    recently initiated plans that will increase its vehicle
    donations to ASEP schools by more than 400%.

Why did GM decide to develop an elective program? GM has the
    oldest (aged 44+) technicians in the industry and more than
    35% of GM technicians are 50 years old or older. GM dealers
    currently need approximately 2,500 new technicians per year
    and GM ASEP currently produces approximately 500 graduates
    per year. Does this elective program compete with the GM
    ASEP Program? No, these two programs attract different types
    of students. ASEP students value the associates degree and
    in-dealership work experience. UTI students value the pure
    automotive focus and GM specific skills. How will GM ensure
    quality graduates from this program? The training for this
    program was developed by GM STC and extensive testing is
    incorporated to ensure knowledge transfer.

G.M. has it's common corporate heads buried so deep into
    their a**holes that either they don't realize why techs
    don't want to work for them any more or they just don't
    care. The only thing that will induce techs to work for a
    G.M. dealership is to offer a fair living wage. Instead,
    G.M.'s strategy is to cut warranty repair times every year
    to save money on the backs of the techs. This has bred a new
    generation of thieves as that seems to be the only way to
    survive in a G.M. dealership.

For example, let's look at a common G.M. car, the 2012 and
    2013 Malibu. That's basically the same car with few changes.
    There is no reason for the repair times to be different.

2012 Malibu - replace ECM and program - .9 and .3 diagnostic
    time.

2013 Malibu - replace ECM and program - .4 and .3 Diagnostic
    time

2012 Malibu - replace electric steering column - 1.3 and .3
    diag and .3 if adj. pedals

2013 Malibu - replace electric steering column - 1.3 no diag
    or pedal allowance

2012 Malibu - replace and program SDM - 1.2 and .3 diag time

2013 Malibu - replace and program SDM - .9 and .3 diag time

2012 Malibu - reprogram ECM, SDM, HVAC or EBCM - .4 - no
    diagnostic allowance

2013 Malibu - reprogram ECM, SDM, HVAC or EBCM - .3 - no
    diagnostic allowance

This is occurring in ALL G.M. makes and models on a yearly
    basis. This will affect aftermarket time books also as they
    are based on warranty time times 1.4. Quite a few operations
    have dropped diagnostic times completely and pay a reduced
    time for the part replacement only.

It seems quite obvious to me why G.M. can't attract any new
    blood into their stores. When graduates from this new
    training program enter dealerships after this whopping 12
    week program, they will find that they can't make enough
    money as a technician to pay their bills and support their
    families. The worst part is that G.M. vehicles are becoming
    more and more complex as G.M. is slashing repair times then
    they cry that they can't get customer cars "fixed the first
    time."
    Maybe you and James and a couple other independent techs should collaborate and put together your own estimate of reasonable repair times for some of the more common repairs.
    Maybe you and James and a couple other independent techs should collaborate and put together your own estimate of reasonable repair times for some of the more common repairs.

What good would that do? The manufacturers are still going to pay what they want to pay one way or the other. The dealerships have been increasing the door labor rates to make sure they are reasonably compensated for whatever repairs are performed and then leave the techs totally up to their own as far as trying to make a living is concerned.

Fail to turn enough labor hours and the tech loses his/her job, whether the labor times paid are calculated correctly, (fairly) or not.

Nobody has demonstrated any concern about these practices, that is until the techs start overselling maintenance items and get caught at it and then all the blame is placed on the tech. This is just another time around on the flat-rate carousel.

If you were a manufacturer of a product and a truly effective service and repair of that product could limit your annual sales at what point would you try to manipulate that capability to ensure sales that meet your overall profit goals? What about if you were a dealer and made the bulk of your revenues from sales, would you also tend to not be as progressive towards the service department?

If these forces have been at play for a long enough period of time without ever being challenged or exposed, just how much damage could they do to the trade?

Where will it leave the consumer if they simply get to throw a big enough band-aid on the problem that they can keep bleeding the industry at both ends?
    I thought it was the service writers who were on commission, not the techs.