Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    ..well I said I was going to post a picture this weekend, but I have some free time now so here is a link to them. I would post them here, but they are rather large so here are the links:

Jeep Side View 1
    Jeep Rear View
    Jeep Front View
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
  • blue_jepp_wrablue_jepp_wra Member Posts: 24
    very nice jeep
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    I hang out here all day and try to answer questions. The pay's terrible!

We're like your Peace Corps!! (Or did you do something unseemly once and this is your community service?)

-Mike ;)
  • santacruz322santacruz322 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2004 Jeep Wrangler X with a factory hardtop, and I decided to take it off for the first time the other day, but I ran into a small problem. I could not disconnect the wiring harness in the back left corner of the Jeep. The manual just says to press the plastic tab in and pull, but that is not working. I have tried everything to get it loose, but nothing is working. Has anybody run into this same problem? Any ideas on how to release it?? Thanks
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    there is a red "locking tab" slide it sideways,,, then press the tab like you have been.

I almost tore mine up, had the same problem.

jeff
  • kcjeepkcjeep Member Posts: 4
    Hello all!

I am a first time Jeep owner as of Monday. I must say, I am proud to be a member of the club. I have always wanted one so I said the heck with it and bought a brand new rocky mountain wrangler. I absolutely love it. It is the best decision I have ever made. I will be the first to admit, however, that I am not automotively inclined. Are there any major things I need to be aware of as a new Jeep owner that common sense alone won't tell me? I don't want to do anything to ruin my new baby. Lord knows that I longer have enough money to fix anything were it to go wrong. Thanks.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Nice Jeep! I could get used to the self-colored flares...
    Things to do - get the oil changed when it needs to be changed. Find a dirt road and drive down it - your Jeep will thank you. It'll be even happier if it's up in the mountains or beside a stream or on the beach or in the desert without anyone around for miles.
  • santacruz322santacruz322 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Jeff for your help!!!! I can't wait to try it.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Retired (5 years) mechanical engineer. I spend 40 years in the steel business. Specifically round steel tube and pipe. I have worked in engineering, construction, start-up, quality, customer service and management.

The one question I hear so much is "Well,Terry, what do you do with all your time now that you are retired". Let me tell you, I find plenty to do. Retirement is as good as I thought it would be. Never bored. I liked all the jobs I had (only two conpanies), retirement was just the next phase. I like it.

Terry
  • kcjeepkcjeep Member Posts: 4
    Here is picture of my new toy. That is the dealer in the picture, not me. :) So what do you think I need to add to it first?
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Hello Wheelsdown. The story of how you got the name "Wheelsdown" wins, at least in my opinion. I am recently retired also after 40 years at various positions and professions. Now its difficult to figure out how I had time to work. Top is off and drove along the Connecticut River today to Long Island Sound. Fished on the way down and listened to the Red Sox beat Baltimore on the way back. Great ride and 9 for 11 waves. Alot of Jeeps on the road today. Only the lonely get bored. How can you be lonely in a Jeep? Go Easy, John
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    John,

That sounds awesome! I have been a life long Sox fans, and I've only been to Bean Town once. I think it is great that you and Wheels are enjoying retirement. I'm convinced when it comes time to retire I'll enjoy it to the fullest. Some people totally identify themselves with their jobs, but not me. To me, work will always be work, and I work at one of the most wonderful institutions on the planet.

The good looking door is still rattling. When I got home this afternoon I decided to check the wiring for my satellite attenae--maybe that is what is causing the rattling. I secured it to the wiring for the rear window wiper/washer. We'll see if that is the culprit. If not it's off to the dealer.
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    I'm a Tech. for the largest electric utility in Southern California, the job is terrific if you like to go offroad driving, been to off-limit places like Snow Peak or 7 Oaks Dam after the water receded. I drive a Dodge Dakota 4x4 , to be replaced by a Ford F150 4x4 next week as my work vehicle, I carry almost a 1000 pounds of gear with me. I would never subject my Wrangler X hardtop, to the extreme driving I give my work vehicles. I enjoy driving the Wrangler mostly in forest service roads or in snow conditions in the mountains during winter.
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    I work in the field of permanent magnets, and have for several years. Right now, 2.5 years into a magnetic start-up as co-owner. Technical and sales background; this co-owner thing sure makes me appreciate all the efforts of "support staff" in previous organizations!

Regarding my "handle": my Wrangler's red, "redrocker" is a natural extension on that for a Jeep, plus it's got this nice music-oriented connotation as well! Plus, my fantasy football team was named the Red Rockers as well (happened right about Jeep time).
    Here are 2 pics from my NM trip. Eugene's a pretty stock SE, but I still like him!

Hope this worked.......
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Pretty nice! (although a bit smaller size wouldn't skew the margins so much).

My wife reminded me that we hiked into Jordan in January, which explains why we had it to ourselves.

Steve, Host
    "I work in the field of permanent magnets, and have for several years. Right now, 2.5 years into a magnetic start-up as co-owner. Technical and sales background; this co-owner thing sure makes me appreciate all the efforts of "support staff" in previous organizations!"

So, you work in a magnetic field? What's the big attraction?

(Devil made me do it)

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    KC:

Welcome! Hey, don't give up on posting a pic. I sure would like to see your Jeep.

I wonder if we all have the photo upload capability now? It was being tested by some of us in May, and I think it was supposed to become available to all in June?

Stick around, KC, and be part of the family.

Congratulations on that Jeep!!!

Tom

• gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Member Posts: 52
    I've found an Unlimited on the lot that has everything I like except a hard top. I've been contemplating whether the hard is really a good idea anyway (storage issues, getting it off/on, etc), but I was thinking I could just get it aftermarket if I decided I still wanted it after my purchase.

Question:
    1) Are there any additional challenges to getting a "aftermarket" hard top? (i.e. wiring concerns, will it fit like the factory hard top, etc).
    2) Can you get an aftermarket hard top that's the same as the factory?

I know it's allot cheaper to get the "combo top" feature from the factory. I have not been able to locate one here in FL, and I'm thinking about just getting one aftermarket. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Scott
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Member Posts: 52
    Also, forgot to ask if there is a noticable difference in gas mileage (understand the top weight quite a bit), and ride?

Thanks,
    Scott
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    I bought a hard top,

I'm not sure what advantage a hardtop would be for you in FL. I bought mine because of the snow and ice we get. My soft top will go on every year ASAP and stay on ALAP, I love having the top down.

Mtngal bought hers with a soft top and says it was plenty warm.

there aren't any aftermarket tops out yet for unlimiteds ( at least not that I've seen, besides safari tops )

jeff
    Just my opinion but if I were going to add a top later, I'd by a hard top alone and then buy the soft top later. When I bought my hard top Sport back in '98, the soft tops were missing the wiring and plumbing for the back window defroster, spray and wiper. Thought that would be too much for me to mess with. Looking at the dash on the Unlimited, it's missing the extra switches you would need to operate the back window stuff, so I would guess that's still the case.

By the way, the hard top has never been off the Sport. On the other hand, the Unlimited's sunroof has been turned back a number of times so far. Perhaps we'll put the top completely down more this summer, but maybe not - I like the Sunrider option.

While the Unlimited's soft top never really had a problem with cold this winter (though my husband said it was chilly when he was driving home from Wyoming in January and the thermostat said -10 F), I'm wondering if the A/C is as efficient in 100 plus weather. We'll find out this summer, I guess...
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    perhaps a Sammy Hagar fan (pre Van Halen)?

-Paul
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    If you bought the hard top aftermarket, it wouldn't come with the wiper/defroster option. It makes more sense to get the Jeep with the hard top at least. You then get the wiper/defroster and controls. I love having both tops. When it's time for winter I put on the HT and it's like driving a different vehicle.

However, you probably could get by without it in Florida.
  • Hi Gang,

I've had my Unlimited one week today and each day has made me happier than the previous. I cannot believe how wonderful owning a Wrangler is. The waves from fellow Wranglers is a blast and I can only smile each time I get a response...only a couple non-responses but that's mainly due to traffic conditions I suspect.

Topless is AWESOME!!!! Took down the softtope two nights ago, loaded up the kids in the back and the wife to my right...we sat in awe looking straight up to the blue sky with clouds and we all just said WOW simultaneously...and we hadn't even left the driveway! Driving down our street and before we even left our neighborhood, my wife looks at me and says "why didn't we do this before having kids?...but then, maybe we would never have had kids because we would have been having too much fun driving our Wrangler!" We headed out to a small town about 20 miles away for an evening Dairy Queen treat. The Wrangler smoothly rolled down the road with jet trails above us and the green trees overreaching our heads...the shadows and the way the lowering Sun light changed the mood in the cabin as we swirled around curves...we all just shook our heads in delight! After my kids got done yelling-singing kids songs my wife reclined back, we turned on the radio to some smooth jazz, and just enjoyed the drive. My 6 yo son looked like Stevie Wonder wagging his head back and forth while looking up at the sky through his sunglasses. I caught a couple glimpses of my 4 yo daughter's eyes and a big smile through her tosseled hair whipping back and forth over her entire face. My wife was just contently smiling looking up at the open sky above.

We stopped, ate ice cream, and raced ourselves back to our Jeep as the night air grew chilly. I had prepared by bringing along coats for everyone and blanket for the kids. We headed back home on the country roads with the Sun already set...way past the kids' bedtimes but not a care in our bones. Kids' legs wrapped in a blanket and coats zipped up to their necks, I saw the kids started to doze off in the review mirror. Then, it hit me...I'm so conditioned to planning all trips based on paved roads that I hit the brakes and marveled as our Jeep made a tight turn (slowly, not roll-over speed mind you) onto a dirt road I've always wondered where it led. Before I knew it, I was going 55mph down a washboard-ridden dirt road without a vibration in the steering wheel and it almost felt like I heard a "sigh of relief" from my Jeep as it felt more at home on the dirt. My wife just shook her head in disbelief knowing the last time I was on a dirt road was at 4 mph in our "cars" hoping to not knock off their wheels or vibrate off the road. The Jeep felt like she wanted to show us much more of what she could do...I could feel it! I turned down another dark dirt road canopied with trees overhead and the kids faces grew concerned as if we're going to get lost. Next thing we knew as the roads got bumpier and our Jeep grew even more aggressive in her stance and showed even more solid attitude of confidence to overtake the dips and bumps...we suddenly were at a back entrance to our neighborhood. We'd just shaved off a good 10 minutes of our normal drive had we stayed on the paved roads to get home! We were amazed and now fully understand why these Jeeps are needed on the rugged areas of Earth. Our Jeep named "Avalanche" by my son seemed almost dissappointed to feel blacktop under her wheels again. We can't wait to get back out and rediscover the simple dirt roads all around us and see where they lead us. Then, off-roading is next and I'm sure it'll be another whole new experience as Tom has described often in this forum.

I drove to work the next day topless seeing rain predicted for the evening. I felt like I've never driven to work until then! I drove to the golf course after work to substitute for a friend on a golf league and kept an eye on the sky as it started to turn darker hoping I'd finish and get my Jeep home in the garage before the rains came. I drove out of the golf course parking lot and realized I looked like a huge golf cart as I past them by. I stopped by my folks house and toook them for a topless drive down a dirt road, though, it took them quite a while to get in and out of the Jeep being a bit stiff in their mid-70s. My mom was happy to see me so happy. My dad kept joking about us being Army Generals since he still associates Jeeps with WWII. They stayed out and waved me good-bye as I drove off topless for home with my hand stuck straight up out of the top.

All I can say is I feel like a new man and owning this Jeep is truly a life-changing event. Anyone in question about whether to buy a Jeep Wrangler...As Tom, Mtngal, Mac24 and all the other regulars have also said...All I can say is it'll be the best money you've ever spent so just do it!!! Also, get those tops off at least once because everyone here is right...each configuration of the Jeep gives you another completely different, individual experience. I've never owned one car that gives so many options as if you owned several all at once. If I had the money like some that collect "hot foreign sportscars", I'd buy one Wrangler of each color and size, keep them in a garage, and rotate driving through them each day of the week. That's how good this Wrangler experience is for me!! I'll never look at another vehicle again. I'm now trying to convince my wife she needs a Jeep so we can be a two Wrangler family before DC redesigns the Wrangler for 2007. I worry the Germans will mess it up and do something really stupid to lose the Wrangler-Feel. Go get your Wranglers folks...and drive 'em baby...drive 'em!!!

Jim - New Topless Fan :shades:
  • randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    Have about 7 hours to decide...it's 10:30 a.m. central time. Same options on the Wranger X, but two different colors...I know this is very subjective, but if anyone cares to give me their opinion(s)...I'm ready!

My red Ranger p/u seems to hide road splash/light dirt very well. Both colors seem sharp.

Thanks!

Randy
  • por2gesfiremanpor2gesfireman Member Posts: 16
    Well I'm a Firefighter/Engineer/EMT here in Stanislaus county, California near Modesto. And we've sure been busy the last 2 weeks and will until september as far a wildland fires. I Love my job, I was a volunteer from 99' to 03' and am paid now. About 2-3 times a year my department goes up to Mariposa county where Yosemite is for fires but not usually up near the Rubicon but close. I also work as a part time EMT for AMR ambulance. Remember as Smoky says only you can prevent forest fires hahaha Mike A.
    My 2000 Sport is red (Red Ryder). It hauls a lot of dirt and still looks pretty good. Also, 66 year old guy in red Wrangler with top down gets lots of odd looks.

Tom will vote white. I don't blame him, his is sharp.

No such thing as an ugly Wrangler. Go with your gut.

Terry
    Randy:

Man, either would be sweet, but white is my favorite, and white will not show the small scratches that you will be getting if you do any off roading.

Tom

Told you.

Terry
    You couldn't have summed up the Jeep thing better. :)

Congrats and many happy years with the Wrangler in the family!

-Paul
    with black pieces (rockers, body armor, bumper, etc), red looks great. But white is no slouch and it surely does hide the minor scratches much better than any dark color will.

-Paul
  • I'm a software QA engineer for a large German international corporation. My third employer since getting an associates degree as an electronics technician 18 years ago. That associates degree has definitely paid off since it's given me 18 years of non-stop employment doing general computer/electronics/software high-tech work. Work is work and now that I've got my Jeep work has become the thing I'll do while I'm not in my Jeep or with my family.
  • Hey Gang - I have a question regarding washing my Jeep...With the softtop on, is it OK to use a coin-operated power wash? That's my usual way of washing my vehicles in the past. With my prior vehicles, I usually do one cycle using the power soap and then a second cycle doing the power rinse. Pull out of the stall and park in the shade of a tree to then hand dry using old towels. It usually produces a nice, almost waxed looked on my finishes. Is that routine OK for the Wrangler with the softtop? I presume I'd want to do a top-down angle on the power nozzle while spraying the softtop to minimize water being sprayed into the vehicle through any gaps. Just didnt' know if that power soap wash cycle would be bad on the softtop and it's windows. Any washing advice would be appreciated.
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    I'll be curious what others say. My thoughts are that the coin washes are fine, and perhaps preferred. The bristles on the brush (at least in the one I use) are very very soft. For the top, I can't foresee any problems Just be delicate with the windows. And when wiping with towels, always left to right, never up and down. Think I read that somewhere. And don't use glass cleaner.

We all want our soft top windows to last as long as possible, but the reality is that they are plastic. Eventually, they're going to get scuffed.

Never had a problem with "gaps" and water getting into the vehicle. Though, the run-off lip above the doors was problematic in my experience. Instead of running the water off, seemed to create a dripping waterfall right over the door frame.

-Mike
    Man, did I ever enjoy your post about the trip with the family to the DQ.

You are doing a great job of describing the joys of Jeep ownership!

I'm so thrilled for you and your family. You can understand now why I am still excited over Jeeps after owning mine for 4.5 years. No other vehicle among the many, many types of vehicles that I have owned has ever gotten me this excited and certainly not for this long.

Now, just make your plans to come down for some wheelin' with me at Turkey Bay! We'll keep it pretty mild, so you won't scratch up that beautiful new Jeep.

Tomster

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I vote for red! :)

tidester, host
    I have a red car in my garage, but I'm partial to white. How about getting a white one and then finding a red hood in the salvage yard?

Steve, Host
    I guess I'm also an obvious "red" answer. Bear in mind, Jeeps look good with dirt on 'em from time to time! Our Oklahoma dirt has definite reddish hues and goes very well with mine!
    Well of course it's happened....just about to close the deal on the Red/White (??) Wrangler X, and was handed an "actual" invoice sheet that has the following (that neither Kelley nor Edmunds has on their pricing sheets:

$25.00: Chrysler Owner Loyalty Mail
    $15.00: 8 Additional Gallons of Gas
    $125.00: ATLANTA - DAA
    $210.00: ATLANTA - PAA/EB-PF

The above is in addition to the shown destination charge of $660.00.

So....even at 52 years of age, I've never heard of such charges (particularly the "loyalty mail".

Are these "charges" sufficient to tell them it's a deal breaker, or are they legitimate? Post is okay, or e-mail ASAP to address in my profile.

Thanks....Randy
    Randy:

Those look like Ad Fees, and, if so, they are legitimate items that are just part of the invoice price. Edmunds does not list them, but I guess you didn't notice their warning about that when you looked up invoice price.

Ad fees vary depending on your location. In large metropolitan areas, TV and Radio ads are much more expensive, so the ad fees for those areas are higher.

Don't let them stop you. The dealer is being straight with you, if those items are what I think they are.

Tomster

Tomster: Thanks so much (you can tell I'm watching the Board!). What you said makes sense. And no, I didn't read all the "disclaimers" as you so correctly assumed!

Have I hugged my Jeep today? Hopefully I will soon....

Thanks

Randy
  • buckminster3buckminster3 Member Posts: 16
    Hey everyone. After a long night of decision making, I brought home an Unlimited. I chose the Beryl green, which was my biggest dilemma. The YJ that I loved so much from my past was Black. I was working as a service writer during college, and bought it as a trade-in with all the tops, auto, I6 (carbuerated!), and alloy wheels.
    This Unlimited is every thing I've missed (I've tried the XJ Cherokee route, and it wasn't bad, but not the same), and more. It actually can be driven on the highway, the dash is much better, the coil spring suspension is everything it's hyped up to be, and the stock wheels are even really nice. Once I decided to go with the green, especially for the price I was quoted, I made up my mind. I plan on never selling it. My three-year-old daughter wants to ride in the JEEP ONLY no matter where we go. That should tell me enought.
    It has officially been dubbed "Myrtle". This seems like a great forum that's incredibly active. Really glad to be back from the land of the minivan...
  • Hi Randy - I'm happy to see you're having to pay those, too. I had the same reservations thinking my dealer was making them up to help pad their profit. In fact, your fees are less than mine. I paid a total of $540 more than the invoice prices I got from online research. My ad fees for Detroit market were both over $200 dollars each (we're bombarded with DC radio and TV ads here during every commercial break). I love how WE the owners pay the "loyalty mailing" fee...as if they're saying "you'll be loyal whether you like it or not!" After you get your Jeep, you'll be like me and forget what I actually paid for it since it'll still be the best purchase you'll ever make. Listen to Tom...don't let those fees stop you. Just get it!!!! :D
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Those are genuine line items that will appear on the dealers invoice.

However, I always recommend negotiating an 'out the door' price, with nothing more to pay than tax, tag, and title. That way you don't have to look at the individual line items or even doc fees.
  • buckminster3buckminster3 Member Posts: 16
    Didn't seem to get hit with that stuff here. I did cave on the "processing" fee of $150 just cause dealer margins are so low right now.

Anyway, I'm kind of surprised they charge $25 for the owner mailers. So not only do you get more info in the mail, now they charge you for it! Is this the charge for the Jeep owner magazine?

It should be some consolation that resale on Wranglers is so good.
  • Way to go and welcome!!! Enjoy "Myrtle" and your daughter shows quite the wisdom for such a little one. :) I'm like Tom in that I love seeing photos of Wranglers so try to give us a link or post some photos as soon as you can. I really like that Beryl Green...though, I like the Stone White better but I can definitely see the attraction to that green.

I wish you Happy New Wrangler Miles!

Jim
    If you focus on the out-the-door price, you won't care if they sign you up for Life, Look and Reader's Digest...

Steve, Host