Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Subaru Outback

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Glad to hear you're happy with the seats. A very important part of the car, if we think about it!
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited September 2012
    This new OB lumbar support is right up there with those units.

And the lack of ANY lumbar support on a 2012 Impreza, let alone the Sport Limited, is right up there with a 20th century base model. :cry:
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    Have had our OB for a week now (1600 miles) and must say we are pleased. As I wrote in previous posts heres's a few things of note:

Better ride and handling than our '10 Legacy, the road feel is excellent.
    Power seems better and smoother.
    Due to some of the problems stated by others with very low miles the dealer suggested, and we put 400 miles on prior to leaving Colorado.
    Even with fewer than 1500 miles on it one tankful read (actual calculation) at 29.2 MPG. Not too shabby.
    Plugged my iPad in and I noticed severe static on it. As one of the books I just downloaded I switched over to one that I had already listened to and it was the same. Will have that checked. Also when I plugged my phone into the USB to charge it the XM radio lost it signal and one of the symbols popped up on the screen. Punching the SAT button got it back on. Will try this some more with the radio on AM or FM. Come to that I'll try taking the radio off SAT prior to hitting the AUX button.

I have to double check but the distance between the wheel wells seems wider than in the Legacy.

All for now.

easypar
  • saraweldersarawelder Member Posts: 5
    I am considering buying the outback 2.5 limited. I have never owned a subaru before but I like their philosophy. You say the 2013 has little relationship to earlier models regarding noise, smoothness and response. The dealership said the 2013 had no real improvements from 2011, 2012. Are you comparing it to earlier models.?
    this is a really great forum!. I have never owned a Subaru before but like their philosophy. I am having real trouble doing direct comparisons as different makes use different terms.
    My prime concern is safety, with environmentally responsible a second. I think I have narrowed it down to fully loaded 2013 at about 34K vs volvo wagon xc70 ( not as much fun as OB or XC60 but great rear visibility. but sticker shock at 48K!!! ( 5 years free maintainance though including brakes and wipers) I am a 60 year old female with a bad back and am noticing that I am not the brilliant, alert driver that I once was.. hence my desire for collision avoidance etc. Can anyone help me in this decision?
    I know I want AWD as I live in a winter snow area and would need mild off road capability. Also as I am used to a van and I seem to live in my car and move large items often, I am loathe to go too small.thanks in advance for any help. Also does anyone know why the OB only gets 4/5 starts with the new rating system?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    Oh, it has some real improvements over the prior model years. The first is that is used the new FB engine block. The second is that it claims 40% less body roll than the 2012, which equates directly to a better handling, more reliable (over the long term) car.

It also has the Eyesight system, which is new to 2013, and may play into that comment in your second post about your age and level of alertness. I wouldn't want something like that on my car, but you may find it to be a useful tool.

What vehicle do you drive now, as a point of reference?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • frenchguy007frenchguy007 Member Posts: 28
    Hi, I have a 2013 Legacy 3.6R with Nav. Every time I start the car I get the safety disclaimer on the Nav screen. It takes 4 seconds and then give me the option to agree or not. Is there a way to accept once and for all or is this something that comes on every time?

On the Bluetooth, mine seems to do funky things. It shows connected on my Blackberry but not connected on the Nav screen. I have to turn off the Bluetooth on my phone, re-start it and then connect with the car. If I do this the connection is fine for a few days then starts over with the same routine. Any thoughts?

By the way, I had a 2010 without the Nav. I did not like it at the beginning but am now a converted Subaru guy, this is a great car.
    I love that fact that even though my new Ford has all this Bluetooth nonsense on it, I don't have a device to connect to it, so I cannot contrast the Subaru system as you presented it to any other systems out there.

There is something very relaxing about being able to simply be unavailable. :shades:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • triumphertriumpher Member Posts: 58
    I went from the 2003 Outback to the 2013 and have to say it is a different vehicle, way larger and much better! It can easily compete with the 2011 Volvo station wagon my neighbor has!
  • budrewbudrew Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2008 2.5 XT turbo Outback. great car but terrible gas mileage! Starting to look for a new car, considering a sedan, but since I like the Subarus I think I should at least consider them.

For those who drove earlier Subarus (before the new design) how do you like the 2013 model in comparison? Having more room in the backseat would be nice for my kids. What about the ride, the mileage, the features? I'm not all that hot on the styling, but it seems to be growing on me.

Thanks.
  • 2013ob2013ob Member Posts: 13
    I had a 2012 2.5i Premium and now have the 2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearence Package. Im averaging 24mph after 2000 miles, a majority of it in town so its right on the mark for city milage. I've averaged 29mph on a few 110 mile round trip highway, at 80mph.

There are some changes from the previous models to the 2013---mostly with a 2nd generation CVT, suspension, styling, and a few other misc. things. The 2013's have air vents in the back seat and my 6 year old complained on the 2012 that he got hot a lot. No issues with the 2013 because of the vent in the back seat for heat/air condition.
    I have a 10 year old Sienna minivan which I love for comfort and cargo and heated seats.. However, it doesn't have side impact airbags. 2 of my kids drive a Prius... it is an early model and the seat really isn't comfortable for me.. also not automatic seat position which I need due to arthritis.
    I am very irritated that the keyless ignition only comes with the "special appearance package" on the subaru as I love not having to get the key out of my purse or pocket... it's nothing to do with appearance to me!
    I have keyless entry on my Fiesta. I admit that I'm beginning to get spoiled by it and like it for now (I find myself forgetting to take the key to the Forester out of my pocket until after I sit down in it!), but I can also see the many pitfalls of having such a system as the car ages. The jury is still out on this one, but I think overall I will find it to be better in the long run to have a keyed ignition system.

The Outback will be a good downsize move from a minivan. We went from a Dodge Grand Caravan (AWD) to our Forester. It was a massive downsize, but wasn't the system shock that going to something like a Prius might be (just from the perspective of seating position alone!). Cost aside, the good news on the Special Appearance Package is that those seats are fabulous. :blush:
    thanks for your input
    that will be the 5th year, 2010,11,12,13,etc
  • pepper7144pepper7144 Member Posts: 2
    I am impressed with all I have read about the OB's handling in snow and ice. Here in the south we get more mud than other 'inclement' conditions. I am not looking for trail rated rock crawler or mud holer; just something I can get down to the creek with; and back out when it rains.

Having driven in Alaska I take with a grain of salt knowing that kind of snow is DRY therefore much different than the WET stuff we get here. Ga red mud is a different animal.

I do understand every awd/4wd has it's limits.
    I think tires are the biggest limiter when it comes to mud, much more so than in snow. Especially in clay-based mud, where it seals into the tread blocks and turns the tires into smooth pottery wheels.

If they use the Continental tires they started using in 2010, I imagine you'll be disappointed the first time you encounter a particularly nasty patch.
  • penguinonepenguinone Member Posts: 2
    First off, yeah, we love our 13 OB. I had an 05 Legacy GT Ltd and the ride is obviously much better. I love driving it, I love how it looks. I got talked out of the higher end features but overall, I'm pleased.

Weird thing I noticed, and I drove to my local to find out if all the 13 OBs had the same deal. The rear passenger doors have a weird body colored patch near the bottom corner on the outside. You kinda have to look right at it, but I saw it and though "that's weird". The dealer said that its to protect against rocks kicking up but I thought that sounded like BS. I didn't push it.

Thoughts? Seems like a really random place to expect rock damage.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    edited October 2012
    I believe that's not body colored but a clear plastic shield... I think it's goofy, too, but I believe what you were told is legit...

Cheers -Mathias
  • ggroeggroe Member Posts: 4
    Hi there,

First time poster here -- I really appreciate all of the details that you guys have shared in this thread, as it definitely helped me in making a purchase. A few days ago I got a 2013 2.5i Premium w/ the all weather and moonroof packages, and I'm loving it so far.

However, two questions / observations:

1) Most of the time when I start up the car the blue light comes on in the dash indicating cold coolant. The owner's manual isn't very helpful in explaining this, but a little bit of Google searching seemed to suggest that this is just a reminder to take it easy until the engine is fully warmed up. It is indeed just fine to drive while this light is on, though, right? It's just a reminder not to floor it until the engine is fully warmed up?
    2) The outside temp display seems to have been fairly accurate until now, but I did notice tonight that it seemed to show about 8 degrees warmer than the actual outside temp. It hadn't been sitting in direct sunlight, and this distortion lasted for about the entire hour that I was out driving tonight. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!
    All my cars that have/had outside temperature indicators seem to deviate from the "official" temperature (the one they say on the radio). First, the official temp is taken (in our area) at the airport in a certain height above the ground.

The vehicle sensor is relative close to the road surface. If this road is traveled heavy, the surface warms up and also the ambient temperature around this road is warmer. The vehicle measures this increased temp and thus the deviation.
    FWIW, the outside temp display was showing 58 degrees this morning, when in reality it was about 45-49 degrees outside. This persisted throughout my 30 minute morning commute, with the outside temp display never getting lower than 55.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    edited October 2012
    Yes, it's fine to drive gently with the blue light on. Subaru doesn't want give lower versions a real temp gauge so they give an idiot light. Just watch it if car is warmed up, the former blue light starts to blink red(indicating water temp is getting too high). Solid red means overheat time. All detailed in owner's manual.
    Yes, it is a clear plastic covering. They've put those on there for several years. My '10 Forester has them. It is the most likely place on the vehicle for rock chips in the paint simply because any rock kicked up off the front tires will hit that spot. Even with the quasi-mudflap accessory, rocks hit that area on a regular basis. Because of the restrictions on paint ingredients, paint is just not durable enough these days to withstand rock impacts.

The best solution is to put real mudflaps on the car, but this has less visual (and cost) impact and works pretty well, too.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    We now have about 3300 miles on our new OB with 2.5. Put about 2200 on it cross country to a high school reunion and averaged 30-32 on those all interstate tanks. The most recent tank was 450 +/- miles, 130 of that on the interstate, suitcases, one set of golf clubs etc. The other 320 was in and around town, with an 80 miles round trip into the Rockies. In that time we also got our first pre-paid oil change.

Filled the tank last night and got (actual-calculated) 29.3 mpg. I was pretty happy with that.
  • devorhandevorhan Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know of a vibration problem affecting any new 2013 Outbacks? I know this WAS a problem with older models, however, on a recent test drive of a "Premium" Outback, I felt "stuttering" or "vibration" from the wheels all the way up to the steering wheel. My friend who was riding in the back also felt it. It was odd because I had test driven 2 other Outbacks without incident, one a "Basic" and another "Premium". This most recent test was another dealer with the Bronze color I wanted. The salesman tried to convince me it was a "tire pressure" problem, but if I have to be maniacal about tire pressure, this is not the car for me. Anyway, this has now made me think this might be a carry over from some of the other vibration problems people had with older models. Thanks if you can give any insight. :lemon:
    FWIW, I have about 600 miles on my 2013 2.5i Premium and haven't noticed any vibration issues. Overall, I've been quite pleased with the car in all respects, minus the decent-but-not-great sound system and a somewhat inaccurate outside temp gauge.
    I have mine now close to 3000 miles and have no vibration or anything else that would be of any concern.
  • 2013ob2013ob Member Posts: 13
    My 2013 2.5i Limited has had no vibration issues since I purchased it 2600 miles ago.
  • devorhandevorhan Member Posts: 2
    Thanks folks for your input on the "vibration" I felt on my Outback test drive. I am feeling more comfortable about my future purchase.
  • alexz5alexz5 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    so what is the difference between the two, only the 6 way adjustable seat for 2.5i and 8 ways for premium, plus the 4 and 6 speakers systems for the two?
    By the way, how much you guys can beat against the invoice price from the dealer, i am in long island NY.
  • sharlynnesharlynne Member Posts: 7
    2010 outback vibration..drove me nuts... really bad a stop after running at high speeds. Took it in several times & finally got Subaru Corp involved. Have them check the big belt that runs everything...they got in a bad batch and it's too loose... car still vibrates but not as bad...but still tries to stall at lights... Commom problem NOT the tires... The stuttering and vibration is something else..Rough Idyle too.
    I beat invoice by about $900 on a 2.5i Premium with option package 6.
  • obfan1976obfan1976 Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2012
    dear all -

I need help/guidance. I am getting transferred outside US and need to sell my very new 3 months old Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Prez.

2013 4 Door Wagon H4 Automatic 2.5i Premium PZEV REAR SEATBACK PROTECTOR,REAR BUMPER COVER,SPLASH GUARDS,ALL-WEATHER + MOONROOF for $25801 ( out of door 28434)

What price can I expect? Any similar experience and guidance so that I don't lose whole lot of money on this super cool new car ..only 4500 miles travelled.

thanks in advance
    You lose about 10% of its value when you drive off the lot, and maybe another 10% or so each year after that. 4500 miles is about half a year, so I would try to get 85% of what you paid or better.

Just a rule of thumb, not scientific.
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for the quick response.

Is this rule applied on on-road value?

Do the dealers buy-back the car? What are the best way to sell it? Craigslists?
  • skypilot9skypilot9 Member Posts: 1
    Did you sell it yet? I am interested. What color? Remote start up? In Sacramento. Haven't used this site before so don't know how to contact you privately.
    still researching.. not sure how to best give you details with security on this site...
    That's just a rule of thumb. CarMax will give you a written quote valid for 7 days. Start there and then maybe try to beat their offer.
    thanks ateixeira.. got a first offer which is close to 80% .. will try carmax..thanks
  • zindermanzinderman Member Posts: 3
    I'm almost commited to a new Subaru. Never owned one. Looking at the 3.6 with special appearance package. One thing i'm a bit hesitant with is the keyless starter. I'm coming from a BMW and am really fearful of all the electronic gizmos that can fail, especially when it comes to starting the car. But I really love the saddle brown leather. Anyone have an opinion on the reliability of the keyless starter. I know it is new for Subaru, but I guess i wonder what is involved in one and what could possibly/likely fail.
    Never heard a complaint about them...at least not yet.
  • bob192bob192 Member Posts: 19
    the only thing to be wary of: if you lose your key, instead of spending a dollar it will cost a hundred dollars.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    The "normal" coded key is WAY more than $1 to replace/program.
  • newowner18newowner18 Member Posts: 1
    We have had an 2013 outback 2.5 for about 2months (2600 mi). For the last 3 weeks or so we have noticed that when starting when cold, the rpms go to about 1900 and the car vibrates a little. The dealer says it is normal so I am curious if other people have the same thing. 1900 rpm seems a little high to me. The car does settle when warm. Also it didn't seem to rev so high when brand new or we didn't notice. Any thoughts?
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    It's normal for any car to have rpms go to 1900, if it is cold outside. The colder, the higher the rpms may go. I have 2012 Forester with same engine and on cold start it will go to 2000 rpm and then settle at 1500 rpm.
  • auntgerdyauntgerdy Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a 2013 Outback. The dealer I talked to said the engine and suspension had been improved on in the 2013 Outback. Anyone know just what Subaru did? Does it make much of a difference from the 2012? What does it mean for maintenance?
  • lynnvinlynnvin Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    There are some important changes to the 2013 - they stiffened up the suspension to eliminate the lane sway that can be experienced on the 2012. Also, the 2013 has a timing chain instead of a timing belt, eliminating the need to change the timing belt. The 2013 has a the 2nd generation CVT (transmission) and the oil filter is on the top of the engine - making oil changes fairly easy if you like to do them yourself. I bought a new 2013 last July - had is for 6 months and love it - handled great in the small amount of snow we had so far this winter.
    The FB engine also reroutes the coolant channels to (hopefully) eliminate head gasket failure risk associated with the previous EJ model, which had persisted in this model over several adjustments that spanned about 17 years (or more?) of production.
  • nurselisanurselisa Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

Would someone be able to supply the money factor and residual values please for this month. Also, if possible what would be a average monthly lease payment on an approximate value of $32K all in? I live in Oakland California.

I'm very excited to say that I'm going to be purchasing a 2013 Outback 3.6R Limited with moonroof, 12K miles and 36 to 48 month lease. Not sure about navigation as of yet. I have heard good things about purchasing the vehicle at the Livermore dealership. I will purchase it in May when my current vehicle lease expires.

If you need additional information I would be happy to supply it. This forum and the information found here have been extremely helpful. Thanks so much.

Lisa