Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Subaru Outback

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    edited February 2013
    Hi Lisa :)
    Post that query here: Subaru Outback Lease Questions and my colleague Car_Man will be happy to help!

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • toasted2toasted2 Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I bought a fully loaded Subaru Outback 3.6 (2012) and I must say...it's a beautiful car! However, we have been having significant transmission problems ever since (pretty much since the first week). When coming to a rolling stop and re-accelerating (even mildly) there is a significant "clunk" in the transmission. Ouch! Our hearts sank immediately as we'd just parted with a significant amount of money for this purchase. We've taken the vehicle back to the dealership in an attempt to deal with the problem. They tried to reset the computer code somehow, but have failed to fix the problem. They are now telling us this is normal for the car and have left it at that...If you're going to spend about $40 grand on a new vehicle you hope the company would ensure that your concerns were addressed. We've owned new Honda's and Toyota's in the past and have never experienced a transmission clunk like this....ever! Until this issues is addressed...I wouldn't touch this car with a ten foot pole...even if it were a 2013.

For those other owners of the 2012 outback 3.6....I hope you've come to a better resolution that we have!
  • winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    I would suggest trying another dealership. Not all of them are the same.
  • firstawdfirstawd Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 2013 2.5i Limited Outback since August and I want to comment on fuel economy. Up until October I was averaging 28.5 mpg. Sometime in late October mpg went down a solid 5.5 mpg. All cars suffer poorer mpg in winter. There is winter blend gas, the car is programed to burn more at startup when temps drop, and (for me anyway) I use the remote starter to warm the car up before I drive it. I think this car gets great gas milage for the size of it and also because it is AWD. Thats all I got to say about that :)
  • firstawdfirstawd Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 2013 since August and it does idle a little rough when cold (even during summer months). I don't think anything is wrong its just how that particular motor is. After its warmed up it purrs like a kitten.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    edited March 2013
    The roughness at startup is, I am told, associated with PZEV programming (reduces emissions and helps the engine to obtain operating temp faster). My '10 Forester has a rough startup idle (nothing terrible, but not as smooth as after it warms) and it has PZEV. My previous two Outbacks (07 and 08) had the same engine but were not rough at start up (and were also not PZEV).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • bitch_cakesbitch_cakes Member Posts: 2
    I'm very excited to pick up my new 2013 2.5 Premium this weekend and was wondering if there were any undocumented features or tips/tricks that you've discovered?

Thanks for the input!
  • subienewb1016subienewb1016 Member Posts: 1
    Hey newgreencar13,

So what ever happened to your cruise control blinking light problem? Has it been fine since the they reset it in August?

I have a 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited and my cruise control light started blinking today with less than 150 miles too. :( I just bought the car yesterday and around 120 miles I noticed the light blinking. My heart sunk and I suddenly lost that new car euphoria feeling. I called my salesman immediately after checking my manual to see if there was anything I could do to hard reset. He stated he never heard of the problem but recommended I come in to talk to the service guys. I am heading straight to the dealer tomorrow.

The light will go off if I keep the car off for a while, but will start blinking again when I drive distance. The cruise control isn't working at all whether I get the blinking light or not. I'm hoping it's not anything big.

Wish me luck!
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Make sure your brake lights are working. In past cars, whenever there was a problems with the brakes lights or the sensor on the brake pedal, the cruise control wouldn't work.
  • santafe87507santafe87507 Member Posts: 12
    This makes me so sad. My 1997 Outback was a dream. If I was not worried about the head gasket issue I would have fixed it up and kept it. The 2013 is troublesome. There is a rattle sound from underneath that happens on slow acceleration. The dealership said it recalibrated something or other, but the noise is still there although much less. I will keep listening as I am still under warranty. The paint finish is soft. The slightest touch, like from a tree branch, causes a small scratch, The edges of the front door are showing nicks. The car is only 9 months old. Lastly it drives like a truck...so much different than the '97. If there are no major issues I will keep it for a couple of years and look for another brand. Too bad, because I like to keep cars a long, long time. Unless there are some major changes in the Subaru, I am GONE.
    edited May 2013
    Oh, that paint! Paint and glass are my two major grumblings about modern cars. No, it isn't specific to Subaru. I think the brittleness of modern glass is the result of cost-cutting efforts, but paint the issue is, from what I've read, largely due to regulations that have essentially banned all the stuff that makes for durable paint!

I swear that, color aside, the (original) paint on my 43-year-old vehicles looks better than that on my 2010 Forester. As you say, every little thing causes scratches and chips.

I noticed a few weeks ago that there were muddy foot prints on the top of the car. It didn't take me long to deduce the guilty party (my 9yo son). I washed the car yesterday and buffed it to a lovely shine, which only serves to accentuate the fact that the car's roof now looks like a building janitor loaned his key ring to a preschool class whose playground was the roof of my car.

And, this is all from one child walking across a slippery roof one time. Every time I wash my old van, I walk across the roof and scrub it on hands & knees... no scratches. Our over-enthusiastic dog once mistook the hood of our truck for the bed (my mistake for parking backwards that day!), jumped up on it in one deft leap, raced around up there trying to figure out what went wrong, and finally jumping back off it. Unbelievably, no scratches that didn't literally buff out the next time I washed it. Heck, the first time I washed that truck I used an SOS pad to take off the saucer-sized lichens growing all over it.

"They don't make 'em like they used to" isn't just a phrase for the nostalgically inclined. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • bluesboybluesboy Member Posts: 2
    2013 Outback 2.5i Limited purchased Oct 2013. Currently have over 13,000 miles on it so we can consider it broken in. We have only achieved 22 MPG on highway for two recent long highway driving trips. Combined highway City mileage is 19 MPG. Our 2000 Subaru forester 2.5L with 3 speed transmission got better fuel economy. The dealer has told us nothing is wrong and other customers have reported this issue, so nothing they can do. We are very disappointed.
    The 2000 Forester had a 4-speed auto, but that aside, your mileage is surprisingly low. While city mileage can vary dramatically by use, highway mileage would only be that low pulling long grades, carrying items on top of the car, or other activities that are not conducive to good fuel economy. If conditions are the same as for the Forester, the Outback should be noticeably better.

Are you logging the information for this car? You might try pushing a complaint to Subaru customer service to see if you can get any further research on it... ?
  • firstsubofmanyfirstsubofmany Member Posts: 1
    Have 2K miles on my 2013 OB Premium 2.5i purchased new in April 2013. Just returned from 1,200 mile round trip from SoCal to NoCal and got 27.6 combined mpg for total trip. One tank of gas recorded 29.8 mpg (must have been flat to downhill on that stretch). Gives you something for comparison. Good luck.
    At 8500 miles on the 2013 Outback, there was a distinct grating noise from underneath upon slow acceleration. I took it to the dealer who said they could find nothing wrong and that I should get used to the noise! You can hear it when the window is open making for a not pleasant ride. The dealer invited me back when the Subaru corporate person was there. When I pulled up the mechanic said a tech knew what it was and that another new Outback presented the same noise, Engine ping I was told and that I needed to use a higher ( read more expensive grade of fuel). After two tanks of the more expensive fuel the noise is still there, albeit it less. I was told by the Subaru authorized service center to bring it back in and put in a $38 can of something or other, So beware, your new Outback needs a higher grade fuel, making it 10% more expensive to run. I will let you know if the $38 can of whatever solves this issue.
  • 3rdsubiemike3rdsubiemike Member Posts: 2
    Hi- I have a problem with very similar if not identical issue my 2012 Outback CVT. At 15-25 and 35 -45 MPH the torque converter adjusts and a rough or clunk sensation occurs. My transmission was replaced at 10k miles on my 2012 in Feb 2013. I brought mine to the local dealer and was told the same thing as you " this is a normal characteristic ". I contacted Subaru of America and they road tested and ran diags and told me the same thing " This is normal characteristic". I still kindly disagree because the thunk did not happen prior to the transmission being replaced. I may contact an attorney to discuss the next steps because i did pay a hefty amount of the vehicle like you and not happy with the vehicle ride anymore.
  • 3rdsubiemike3rdsubiemike Member Posts: 2
    Check out my last post 217 about the clunk on the CVT transmission. It might be what your experiencing.
  • shadowchasershadowchaser Member Posts: 94
    To voice dial, you have to go through multiple steps starting with saying "handsfree"..then it goes back and forth asking and confirming. Other cars have a way to do an abbreviated procedure without the confirmations (you just hit cancel if it dials the wrong number). My salesperson said there were something called voice tags to shorten things but I can find nothing about those in the directions.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • brenda123brenda123 Member Posts: 4
    I have this same problem with my 2013 Legacy. I purchased in October, no problems until it started getting warmer outside. I had no idea what it was, sounded like a very loud rattle when windows are open. Mechanic at Subaru dealer said I needed to use higher octane gas. I had a whole tank when I took it in that they drained, put fluid cleaner in and another tank full of premium gas. $285 later, the noise is still there, loud as ever. I've gone through 2 more tanks of gas, Chevron mid-grade. I'm taking it back in tomorrow to the shop and I'm wondering if you've found out anything on why this is happening yet.
    My engine still pings with mid-grade ( 87 octane) and the cleaning fluid. The mechanic says that eventually engine ping can be damaging to the engine. There is NOTHING ELSE THEY CAN DO!!!!!!

However, my dealer is documenting the issue and the Subaru tech told my mechanic that they have had multiple issues with 2013 cars in Colorado.

We need to push for a recall.

Have your tech document and report. Call Subaru...in New Jersey,
  • ken90004ken90004 Member Posts: 1
    My Outback has been great, and I drive it lot and I drive it rough. But I had this same issue with another vehicle, and it ended up being where I was buying my gas. I was driving 150 miles a day, and getting gas as the same gas station, off the interstate. After I drove the car a year or so, it started running really rough. I tried a number of different things, and ended up changing my gas habits by getting it further down the road. The first tank was better, and after a few weeks, I never had pinging problems again. And I drove that car to 287,000 miles. It IS an octane issue, because not all gas is created equal. There are some gas stations you just shouldn't shop at.
    Yesterday I saw the Subaru factory rep here in Santa Fe. He was great. I have upgraded to 87 octane. That did not help. Everyone was stymied except for the factory rep. First, there is no danger to the engine, ever for this model ( good news). Second the engine ping will not go away due to the federal requirements on emissions. Higher grade gas helps, but not much. The additive will not help at all since this is not a carbon build-up issue. The ping will be rectified in the 2015 model because it will be direct injection. You cannot hear this with the windows up, but I drive enough with the windows down that I find this annoying, I plan to trade my '13 in, when the '15 comes out.

On another note, states that have cruddy octane gas, like Colorado fair much worse. States like Texas with quality gas have less of this problem. It is imperative that you upgrade your gas to a quality purveyor like Phillps or Chevron and use higher octane. I will stay with mid-grade since this already increases my driving expenses by 5%. I will not upgrade to premium!

Thank you Alex, factory rep. It may not have resolved the issue, but at least I know the story
    Thanks for the reply! That is very discouraging news! I would refuse to drive the car, as I was told it would cause engine damage too and mostly likely that will occur after warranty. I'm in Nevada. My dealer has been researching this and so far has determined that the computer is not responding to the knock sensor, causing my timing to advance very high. The car is in shop now, been there for 2 weeks. They tried another car computer and it appears to have worked! They believe the computer is bad and will be replacing it with a new one on Wednesday. Crossing my fingers. Try having your dealership check the timing.
  • nornetnornet Member Posts: 24
    Two weeks to replace a computer is an excessive amount of time. Either Subaru or your dealer does not care about customer relations.
    True, and I'm not sure they actually looked at it the first few days, but I really don't think they knew what the problem was. Subaru tech line said bad gas, need higher octane, well that's not the case. 1 in 5 cars out here are Subaru and they never seen this issue on a car that wasn't turbo charged. They had a Subaru field tech look at it too and nothing. They said they replaced parts to try and determine what it could be. A friend of mine said it sounded like it could be the timing, not sure if my dealer figured that out on own or because I told them. Just hope this works and glad they didn't tell me there's nothing they can do and not try.
  • bob192bob192 Member Posts: 19
    To be fair, they probably had to order the computer in. It wouldnt be a common replacement part.

Also 87 octane is regular gas here in Pa. I've never seen gas labeled with a lower octane.

Once when traveling on I95 in one of the red states, we filled up and immediately started having misfiring and poor performance. It was water in the gas. pouring in a half dozen cans of dry gas cleared it up. A friend who had worked at a gas station in high school told me about the owner going in after hours and running a garden hose into the underground tank. He then followed this with a case of dry gas. It definitely matters where you buy gas.
    The computer was NOT the issue and now they have no idea why its pinging, a lot of techs involved and no resolution.
    First 87 octane is not regular everywhere. YOu have to check. Here in Santa Fe regular is 86 and mid grade is 88. It does make a difference. Brenda 123 read my message. It was not your computer. The factory rep was here in Santa Fe. The engine ping is a result of the emission standards and this engine. They claim there is nothing they can do until the direct fuel injection comes out in 2015. Have the dealer call the factory and have them send out the factory rep. My experience is that the dealers do not have a clue and more and more Outbacks are showing up with this problem, My rep came from Colorado. The factory rep claimed that the engine would not be harmed.

I hate the fact I bought a $30k car I do not like, especially when I loved my '97.
    If you have not bought a new Outback yet, do not. You are being warned.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    I bought a 2010 Outback new and I am still driving it. Overall I'm very satisfied, although I have the much discussed slight steering wheel shimmy at around 65 mph. It's annoying, but it's one of the few minuses in an otherwise fine car. I'm just wondering if Subaru solved this problem in the post 2010 model year Outbacks? Wondering if some of you owners can weigh in? Thanks!!
  • seven_upsseven_ups Member Posts: 10
    SantaFe, re: "There is a rattle sound from underneath that happens on slow acceleration."

This would appear to describe a loose heat shield; once the resonant frequency is reached ( via engine RPM - generally low band ), if the steel shield is poorly secured, it will vibrate. It does not take very much "play" for the rattling/buzzing sound to become a nuisance.
    Thank you seven ups, I will ask about that. But even the factory rep said there are many, many complaints on the 2013 Subaru Outback model of this rattle and they believe it is a gas/engine issue that will be corrected in 2015 (!) for an additional $2500 (!) as a direct injection.
  • dmuzykadmuzyka Member Posts: 31
    I have a '13 that I've had up to 85 mph and haven't noticed a shimmy. Really enjoying this car; my first Subaru. Not much snow or ice here in humid Houston, but it's very surefooted during our tropical rainstorms.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if the Outbacks now have memory seat and push button start?
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Yes, the top-of-the-line Outback with the Special Appearance Package has memory seats...
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    jeffm5, check out the Subry Forum: legacygt.com. Good information on all aspects of the car, including this Shimmy issues. There are numerous posts on the specific thread. I don't have it on my car- 2010 Legacy CVT 2.5i Premium. Although, now with 62k miles on the clock, my son who drives the car mostly says he is feeling a shimmy at 70-75 mph. The car has upgraded 17" Subaru wheels with Cooper CS4s (great tire btw). Will bring it in to dealer for all new Road Force Wheel balancing and rotation. Also, a comment: I had the brake pads replaced at 45K at Mavis. They grind and squeal now....I will have Dealer look at it. May need Subaru Brake pads nd rotors too..
  • groff2groff2 Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2013 Outback (2.5 LTD) in for service with a similar noise complaint about 3 weeks ago. To me, the noise seems to be coming from the engine, at lower RPM. The service manager came out for a test drive to listen and confirmed he heard the chatter. I can't explain why they would send the service manager out on a first encounter, though. He was sure it was a loose heat shield,... but asked if I had tried a higher octane gas. Hmmmm. Anyways, the answer was yes and the chatter seems to be quieter a bit, but as soon as I go back to regular, the problem is the same. After 6 hours, they called me back in, saying that the problem is not resolved. They have tightened all the bolts, it's not the heat shield. They test drove all the gas out of my car, so they had to stop testing. Are you kidding me???? I didn't want to explain how many thing are wrong with that statement, as this is my first experience with Subaru Service and I hope for a solution. They could not reproduce the conditions in the service bay and could not locate the noise out on the road. They said they needed to order a "special instrument".... (When I heard this that Seinfeld episode flashed in my mind) ...that will place microphones on different parts of the engine to locate the noise. They will call me back when the "special instrument" gets in...
    I haven't heard yet.
    read my messages from the past. It is not the heat shield, it is not the computer, it is an engine ping that has something to do with the gas and the emission standards. There is nothing they can do. HIgher grade gas helps, but does not eliminate. The Rocky Mtn service mgr saw my car , drove my car and confirmed that the issue is ping and is not resolvable in the '13 models. I have a letter from Subaru corporate that indicates this is a "normal" sound and function of this model. They know something is wrong because it will be eliminated with a direct injection model that comes out in '15 ( for $2500 more!). The more of us that scream about this, perhaps they will find a solution and have a recall. I advise you to call corporate in Cherry HIlls, NJ and complain and complain.
  • hawkeyephawkeyep Member Posts: 1
    I think I have the same issue on a 2013 OB with about 8100 miles. The engine noise sounds like an unbalanced tire - which it is not. It is more pronounced on low acceleration between 40 and 60 mph. The service manager at the local dealer said he believes "the factory installed the wrong size bearing." The dealer is removing the engine and tearing it down. Frankly, I don't know what to think at this point.
    Dear Hawkeyep
    Read my emails....it is engine ping....most likely. The dealers are clueless until the factory rep shows up. You may have a different issue than I, but many of the respondents have had their engines torn apart, the computers replaced, etc. It had been in all cases the engine ping which Subaru HQ claims is a normal sound!

Ask to see your regional factory rep when they are in town. Call the Subaru HQ in Cherry Hills NJ and complain, lots. Make them give you a free 70,000 mile warranty in case our engines crap out.

This cannot be fixed. Going to premium gas helps....but does not eliminate.
    I have been reading these posts and I have a 2013 Outback 2.5i Premiium PZEV. I have no such chatter or pinging from my engine and I have over 9200 miles on the car.

I run fuel additives pretty regularly to keep things clean and run it on the highway daily. I use good quality 87 octane fuel from either Shell or from Exxon and I have not had a single issue yet.

I have yet to try premium fuel in my Outback but have done so in my wife's 2010 Mercury Milan. Fuel economy was better by 5% as did the overall performance of the car but it is not worth the extra money to use premium fuel consistently. The compression ratio in the Milan is lower than that of the Subaru. I do not know how many miles you have on your vehicles, but I clean the MAF sensor yearly and it does help fuel economy and performance. Also, using a non-Subaru synthetic oil might help. I know Subaru uses a re-branded oil but I do not know who makes the oil for them. The use of a 0W-20 is scary to me but I use a premium synthetic and so far so good.
  • albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    edited September 2013
    I am interested in an Outback but am nervous due to information from your posts and reading those of others.

Regarding the pinging sound from the engine - has that gone away on yours and if I am looking at an Outback, will I notice the sound right away or is it something that may show up over time?

I like the look of the Outback vs the CRV but if I am going to have all sorts of problems with the Outback, I will just go with a CRV as I know it is reliable.

Also - have you had any issues with transmission noise or any of the check engine lights coming on?

Lastly, is your state known for having bad gas?

Thanks for the info.
    My state has ok gas....with this model I have had to upgrade to premium which has added expense to the product. The ping started at about 5k miles. It is very annoying.
    also noted is a light rollback when shifting from R or P to D. No other problems that you mentioned.
  • libertaslibertas Member Posts: 2
    Special appearance package includes keyless entry and push button start, walk up to the driver door with key in your pocket and you can unlock locked driver door buy grabbing door handle, but then no other doors can be opened unless you do it old fashioned way by hitting door unlock on fob or button inside car.

IF I first go to front passenger door when all doors locked and key in pocket and open it, then i can open or anyone, key or not, can open any door, this is backwards, of course.

Anybody have info on how to change this?
  • hpgreenthumbhpgreenthumb Member Posts: 1
    I've got 22K on my 2013 Outback and have been experiencing the PRE-ignition (pinging) since the beginning. I've had to use premium fuel to keep it at a minimum. It's not related to poor fuel. It's obviously way more pronounced when the windows are open and hard to detect when the windows are closed, but it's still happening.
    Type "Engine Knock" in Wikipedia, this a definitely an issue that will reduce the longevity of the engine! I'm planning a dealer visit to discuss, I'll keep you updated. Don't let Subaru off the hook with this issue!
    Go beyond the dealer....register complaints at the Cherry Hills NJ corporate office. I am pushing for a recall.
  • ecofriendly1ecofriendly1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my new 2013 outback in Dec. 2012. Towards the end of March I started hearing a lot of rattling coming from the engine at slow acceleration. After many many visits to my dealer and many phone calls over the past 7 mo.s I still have this car and the rattling. So frustrating. After taking apart my engine and putting it back together putting microphones on the engine, etc. they have told me that it is pinging. I have to use the highest octane gas to keep the noise at a minimum, even still it is a constant rattling reminding me that I spent a lot of money and feel like I am driving a junker. Again, so frustrating. Doesn't Subaru market itself by saying "We make sure our customers are satisfied"? I am not satisfied. How can I be when my "new" car sounds awful. What damage is being done to my engine that will show up years down the road? I have been in contact with headquarters but they say that a resolution is being worked on, it is called a reflash and it could take another year? wow. Recall please. Recall NOW.
    to Subaru of America, located in NJ.
    RECALL 2013 OUTBACKS WITH PING/REFLASH NOW. THE CAR SOUNDS LIKE A JUNKER AND THE PREMIUM GAS IT REQUIRES IS EXPENSIVE.

I have a 2013 Outback 2.5i Premium. No pinging of any sort even when heavily loaded. I am not sure where this problem is coming from. Took the Outback to Florida from Maryland. Used premium fuel for most of the trip as I had a lot of stuff in the car. Ran better/smoother with premium on the road and fuel economy went up about 8% over using regular gas.

• bmjaffinbmjaffin Member Posts: 2
    I also bought a new 2013 Outback 2 years ago. I heard the rattling almost from the beginning but everytime I brought it to the dealership I was told "it's normal" or they couldn't hear it. Now 20,000 miles later and many trips to the service department at 3 different dealerships someone finally said that they could hear the rattling. It is so loud now that I feel like my car is going to breakdown or something is going to fall off. Their fix was a reprogram for a spark knock. It did not fix the problem but may have lessened the noise slightly. I am fed up. I saved for a long time to buy this car that I thought would be reliable and safe for me and my newborn baby and would keep me from having to make repeat visits to the service department. I regret my decision to buy an Outback. I love the cars but if they can't fix this problem I'm out a lot of money and not to mention all the time wasted waiting for my car.

The rattling:
    You can hear it upon start up but gets louder the more I drive. It's most noticeable in lower speeds/lower rpm and gets really load the more that I start and stop in traffic. Over the past year it has gotten even worse to the point that I could feel the rattling under my car on my feet.

Has anyone found a fix to the problem? Please help.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Sounds like a loose exhaust heat shield.