Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Subaru Outback

Comments

• erc39erc39 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2013 Outback with Special Appearance package in Northern California.
    MSRP was $34, 373, paid $30,771 plus TTL.
  • mr_practicalmr_practical Member Posts: 2
    Just placed my custom order in this week so we're now committed. Ordered almost every electronic option including the Eyesight feature. Can't wait for our car to arrive and I'm looking forward to the 30mpg kick to cut my gas bill on my commute, etc. Wish me luck.
  • grdma2grdma2 Member Posts: 3
    Am looking for the same thing. What dealership did you use? Thank you.
  • grdma2grdma2 Member Posts: 3
    Another question - did you purchase any other options at that price, such as side molding, etc. Thank you.
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    mr practical, did you stick to your original plan: 2.5i LTD or opt for the 3.6r LTD? Which dealer did you use. You're in the NY area? What was your Final Price and lease payment OTD including your trade in?

If I may ask, was this a rush decision to replace your Audi? Usually, new model cars are at Top Dollar at introduction until they figure out inventory and sales activity and then offer some more discounts.
  • 2013ob2013ob Member Posts: 13
    edited July 2012
    I just purchased that exact same 2013 2.5i Limted w/Special Appearence Package. The color looks like dark chocolate cherry--brilliant brown pearl/saddle brown leather. I had a 2012 2.5i Premium and its a night and day difference with the HP, CVT, and suspension improvements. Added a Curt trailer hitch yesterday. Paid $30,997.00, MSRP was $34,197.00. The "whine" with the 2012 shifting is not present in the 2013---nice job Subaru!! Sharp color combo. Moon roof, Harmon Kardon (package # 23)
  • carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    I just purchased that exact same 2013 2.5i Limted w/Special Appearence Package. The color looks like dark chocolate cherry--brilliant brown pearl/saddle brown leather. I had a 2012 2.5i Premium and its a night and day difference with the HP, CVT, and suspension improvements. Added a Curt trailer hitch yesterday. Paid $30,997.00, MSRP was $34,197.00. The "whine" with the 2012 shifting is not present in the 2013---nice job Subaru!! Sharp color combo. Moon roof, Harmon Kardon (package # 23)

Congratulations!! Did you get that price without a trade-in? If so, where do you live? I'm planning on selling my present car, so I'm looking at what people have paid without a trade in.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Congrats! Would love to hear more comparisons between your '12 and '13 Outbacks. I suspect the changes, while rather subtle, make a big difference.

Did you get the Eyesight option? If not, how about the Nav? That's been changed too for this year.

Bob
    The upgraded engine has less whine when shifting, suspension feels more refined, the saddle brown leather is comfortable, the back seat air vents makes a difference, dash guages are completely different. The 2013 is a much more refined than the 2012. I had both and would not hesitate taking the 2013 over the 2012 I have put about 400 miles on the vehicle and all is well. The Navigaton and Harmon Kardon audio are nice as well. The Curt Class III hitch took about 30 minutes to have installed. Silver . mirrors with blinkers on the mirrors, puddle lights, heated seats---its pretty much the top of the 2.5 series you can get

No, I didnt get the Eyesight---that is too annoying for me and had no desire to get it. Plus, you can not get the Eyesight w/ the Special Appearence Package---its either or.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited July 2012
    Thanks.

While you may have a Class III hitch, you shouldn't try Class III towing (5000 pound max), as your car is only rated for 2700 pound towing—if the trailer has its own set of brakes. If the trailer doesn't have brakes, you're limited to only 1000 pound towing.

The one with Eyesight that I drove did have an annoying lane-change feature. Every time you crossed a painted line on the road a buzzer would go off. Very annoying to say the least. I did like the adaptive cruise control, however.

Bob
    edited July 2012
    I wont be towing anything of major weight. I have a Coleman VersaTrailer (kinda a cult following early 1980's trailer that is hard to find)

http://www.versatrailer.us/VERSA/CUSTOMERS/COLEMAN%20VERSA%20CARGO%20TRAILER.htm- - - -

It has a curb weight of 290lbs and we load it up with camping gear or use to hall multch, ect. Maybe 500 lbs fully loaded. It has a fiberglass cover that latches down to cover everything inside.

No plans on towing anything of larger. The Class III Curt (13990) is a well built hitch and goes on 90% of all Outbacks that use Road N Rack for hitch installs in the Salt Lake City Valley. Outbacks are EVERYWHERE in Utah. Cant drive a block without seeing at a few.

Oh yea, the 2013 (at least the Limited 2.5i w/Special Appearance) has a push button start---no key. There is a key to open the door that is tucked into the remote but no physical key to start the car.

I had my 2012 2.5i Premium through deep snow, up the Cottonwood Canyons (I live in the Salt Lake City Valley), drove it up to 11,000 feet near Brian Head Utah---no issues. It scoots along just fine at high elevations but I did drop it into 4th when climbing at times---advantage of the CVT. I ditched my Lincoln Navigator for the 2013 OB. We have a Mazda CX7 in the family (getting rid of that for a 2013 CX-5 or the 2013 Subaru CrossTrek in December) which is a great little car---nice turbo power!! Im breaking away from the large SUVs (always owned them) and going a little more greener these days.
  • redwinger1redwinger1 Member Posts: 1
    Rsholland- I was thinking of the '13 ob mostly bc of the climb from parowan to Brian head, so you felt no troubles with the 2.5l car struggling? My current car barely makes it every time, so that hill is my major concern in deciding between a 2.5 or the 3.6. . Thanks!
    I would say if its power you want, go for the 3.6. I had no issues climbing to Brian Head whatsoever in my 2012 2.5i Premium. The great thing about the paddle shifters is when you need a little extra boost, its there. I put in manual mode when I climb mountains or passes. I havent played in the mountains with my 2013 yet but I anticipate no issues. The CVT is WAY smoother and lower end performance is definately a noticeable difference between the 2013 and 2012. Driving style adapting to the environment is the best way I can describe driving the 2012/2013 Outbacks with the manual mode option. Climbing big mountains, manual mode. Putting around town or on the highway, automatic. Want a little extra boost entering the freeway or passing, paddle shift down to a lower gear. You can use the paddle shifters while in auto mode---another great feature.

Im averaging 26 mpg on my 2013 with a mix of highway and city driving---thats with 450 miles on the clock so far. I noticed on my 2012 the MPG increased after the break in time---who knows if that was true or not but just something I noticed or it may have been my driving style. I was averaging about 24 mpg mixed when I got rid of it last month.

In my observations of Outbacks in the Salt Lake Valley and Park City area, I would say over 90% or more are 2.5's. Different strokes for different folks.
  • placervilleplacerville Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2012
    First, congrats on your purchase. My wife and I (Placerville, CA) just looked at the very same model and color Subaru today, and we agree with you regarding the changes between the '12 and '13. We are ready to buy but, we have a question about the Navigation system. To date, we've not had one in a vehicle or even a portable device. We're concerned about some threads we've read (on other sites) regarding the quality of the Subaru Nav. system. In short, most feel they stink. One comment was that, for the most part, all factory supplied Nav. systems are problematic and that the aftermarket Garmins and TomTom's are always much better. I watched a dealer demonstrating the system on YouTube and one of the comments was that updates are offered every 4 years. Seems odd. Do you have a Nav. system in your new Sabaru? If so, what do you think of it. Thank you in advice for your reply.
    edited July 2012
    The 2013 OB 2.5i Limited navigation is a new generation of navigation--not in previous models so there is are very few people who have reviewed it on the 2013's. Yes, I have it but havent the opportunity to use it but will give it a shot of the weekend and see how it works. Everything I have read online indicates there are no issues with the navi system. This is my first vehicle with built in navigation. I like not having cables run down my dash, forgetting the windshield suction cup, or forgetting the power charger--this has happened to me a handful of times while traveling--forgetting something in one of my other vehicles, leaving parts in a back pack, or having it come unsucked from the windshield and falling over the car---these Im sure are common for portable navigation owners including myself. Less risk for someone breaking into your car to steal your navigation that is left in the window--which is common. The Special Appearence Package had it standard so I was fine with getting it. I have a Garmin and Wave (iPhone Ap)--which both are usually in my car at any given time so if the OB Navagation fails me, I have back up. I have had a Garmin for quite a few years--it has caused a few issues for me in the past but its hard to get lost in America these days so I made it through it! :-) I dont believe that the navigation is updated every 4 years, since it gives the option to check and download the latest software. Being in the software/electronic business, its common practice these days to provide updates to technology on a regular basic--I would say every few months rather than 1x every 4 years. I highly doubt Subaru would use a 3rd party nav system that only updated the software every 4 years. I like the layout of the HK audio and the navigation---I always have it in split screen--my ipod/iphone data on the left, gps running on the right (my 6 year old likes to see the car driving down the streets on the GPS so I have it on split screen all the time)--you can switch the view with a touch of the screen for full screen of either. Its cool that my contacts are downloaded from my phone into the system as well. In conclusion, the 2013 OB is a refined vehicle over the previous years models, including its audio and navigation system and I would be comfortable purchasing it. Im a week into ownership of the 2013 OB and all is well and happy with my purchase.
  • triumphertriumpher Member Posts: 58
    I just purchased a 2013 Outback. I have the 2.5i permium Version (I need a manual gearbox, because I want to tow it behind a motorhome) with the cold waehter package and the homelink/ autodimming mirror.

I replaced my 2003 Outback Limited with the new vehicle. I have to say that it is a difference like night and day between these two Outbacks.. The new one is much bigger/taler nd has a more SUV like feeling than the old Outback.

I can't say much about the driving, cause it has only 57 miles on the clock as of now.

I got this vehicle through my employers purchasing plan (my employer is one of the largest companies in the US) and paied $1500 under dealer invoice. Included in this deal is a lifelong powertrain warranty, 10 free oilchanges at the dealer, and lifelong free car washes at any of the dealers locations.

I traded my old vehicle in (120 k miles on the clock) for $5000.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    I have to ask, did you bring a gun to the dealership?.... $1500 under invoice? Lifetime power train warranty? 10 free oil changes? Lifetime free car washes? How the heck does this dealership stay in business? I was offered $100 under invoice (which I thought was great for a 2013), and that's it!

Absolutely amazing...enjoy the ride!

PS I have to ask: who is the dealer and where are they?
    My 1st thought this is part of the "fleet pricing" that organizations can leverage locally--as I did with my 2012 OB and the company I worked for.
    edited July 2012
    My wife and I just picked up our new '13 Outback 2.5i Limited w/special appearance package today. Prior to our purchase, we did extensive research and settled on an offer from Consumer Reports, which was, for $14 they give you the dealers invoice and a suggested 'Good', 'Better' and 'Best' type pricing suggestion. Three dealers in our area were contacted (on our behalf) by CR. All three contacted us immediately. Two were inept and one was a pro. Their best offer: $1,700 under dealer invoice. They said they didn't have our selection on their lot and would have to find the car at a sister dealership. But, if they couldn't, they'd order it at no additional cost. We were impressed. They called later and said they'd found it.

Prior to the CR excersise, we'd been to a local dealer for a test drive. The sales manager told us, "We'll beat any price you can find" and then he suggested that a purchase deal through Costco could get us a great price, "Invoice + $500" he said. Well, we ended up taking our CR deal (in writing) from the other dealer to our local dealer and, although they seemed aghast at the price, they honored it. Because we felt like we got a very attractive price, we did not hold them to their, "We'll beat any price" comment. We did not bite on any 'post sale' offers of extended warranties, special coatings etc.

Regarding the above comment from the other gentleman about his 'free power train warranty for life' that he received. I'm sorry, but I just don't believe that. No automobile manufacture could offer, let alone honor, such a warranty. Now, if he purchased an extended power train warranty, I'll listen to that. Some free oil changes and car washes? That's fine.
    I have to ask, did you bring a gun to the dealership?.... $1500 under invoice? Lifetime power train warranty? 10 free oil changes? Lifetime free car washes? How the heck does this dealership stay in business? I was offered $100 under invoice (which I thought was great for a 2013), and that's it!

The factor you're not considering is the trade in. Dealers can make up their "loss" on the sale of the car with what they give on the trade-in.

I will sell my car on my own and am looking for the prices people paid who did not trade in a car.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, but he still got $5k for a 120k mile vehicle. I think he did quite well...
    I paid $500.00 under invoice for my 2013 2.5i Limited--Special Appearance Package. I paid $30,997.00 and MSRP was $34,126.00. After we got down to a price, I traded in my 2005 Lincoln Navigator with 78k on the clock and in very good condition ($10,500.00 on the trade). I didnt bring up I had a trade-in until we came to a mutual agreement on the OB. I got $10,500.00 on my Navigator was the "fair value" trade in. I didnt want to mess with selling my Navigator as a private party, considering large SUV's are declining on price and market is softening for tanks. I got a couple free oil changes and car wash at the dealership for life. It was my 2nd Outback from the same dealership.
    I think the point I'm trying to make is this. If you get "fair" value is it "fair" based on say Edmunds value of what the car is worth to a dealer as opposed to what you could sell it for on the market?

More than once I've gone to trade in a car after I've negotiated the price on the new car, and have been given offers way below market value. So even though it's a major hassle, I will try to sell my Acura on my own. Thus I'm interested in prices without the variable of the trade in value.
    Congrats.

I'm sure you save... now this is an estimate so don't quote me, approximately $875.43 in fuel alone each week. :D
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    Hahahaha! That's probably not too far off, juice.

I really like the special appearance package. If I could get that with a manual transmission, it might almost make the Outback an attractive option.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Yea, that Navigator averaged about 12.5mpg. I work from home and dont drive a lot but those $100.00 fill up's I dont miss.

I have a Porsche C4 993 and that used to be the most fuel efficient vehicle I own---probably get 16 mpg in that car---its not a Sunday driver!! Its a sports car and meant to be driven like one! :-)
    Porsche C4 993 and that used to be the most fuel efficient vehicle I own

That is funny...
    It is Morries Subaru in Brooklyn park, MN. They want to get into business with my employer.
    Yes, the power train warranty is an extended warranty paid for by the dealer. I am in a similar situation as you are, my shopping was done by the purchasing department of my employer, and this dealer want's to get foot into the door with them.
    I did not have a trade in, I sold my 2003 to a private person,
  • vincergvincerg Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2012
    Hello too all:

I just purchased a 2013 Outback w/ the 3.6L engine. Does anyone know if this year is the same as the 2012 as far as the air filter goes. I always buy an K&N filter for my cars but K&N hasn't listed the filter for 2013 as of yet. Thought I could save myself some time if last year was the same. Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Vince
    I would think so. To the best of my knowledge, the engines are indentical on the 3.6L for 2012 and 2013.
    Outback 9,282 +10.9%
    Venza 3,995 -8.1%
    CrossTour 1,874 _37.5%
    edited August 2012
    The new Outback comes with both an automatic and manual transmission in the same vehicle. Leave the stick in D and it's an automatic. Push it into M and it's a manual and all the shifting is done with the paddle shifters on the steering wheel.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Push it into M and it's a manual and all the shifting is done with the paddle shifters on the steering wheel.

I don't know - that's like making out with your cousin. Yeah it's kind of the same thing but in the end you just feel ashamed to admit you did it.

:blush:
  • rubi471rubi471 Member Posts: 1
    Dear placerville, what market are you in? My husband and I live in Denver and we just started researching subaru outback in our area.
    I have another car with a real paddle shifter (dual clutch system), and I can assure you, the Outback will not even come close to a manual transmission!. The paddel shifter allows you to "shift" into the preset spots of the CVT, but you cannot skip shift points, it is a sequential system in either up or down mode!
  • peraltaperalta Member Posts: 94
    Yes you can skip a shift point in a subaru by doing 2 quick tugs to the paddle, I assume you haven't tried that one yet.
    It is still sequential! Going through a singel shift very fast does not change it. it will never be a real manual shift system, always a wanna be only!
  • andrewp2andrewp2 Member Posts: 5
    I'm shopping for a new vehicle to replace my beloved Mazda5; I'll be going for an AWD this time (better for those snowy holiday road trip from New England to visit family in the Great Lakes). I love how Mazdas drive. With the suspension improvements, is the Outback fun to drive? (reviews consistently stated that the 2012 wasn't that great).

Would it compare to the CX-5? Subaru has the best AWD, but I don't want to put up with a car that's not much fun to drive. Conversely, how is the AWD in the Mazda, in your opinion? Thanks for any advice....
    The CX-5 would be more like the Subaru CrossTrek XV coming out next month, as far as size, performance, ect.

The 2.5i 2013 Outback isnt going to make your grin ear to ear when you drive when it comes down to throttle---its not a "quick" car. The 3.6L on the other hand has roughly 80 more HP. I never considered my 2012 or 2013 2.5i Outbacks fun cars to drive. To me, they are all around, practical vehicles for my lifestyle--outdoors, camping, snowboarding, and Outbacks are very roomy. My 2013 feels great on the road, my 2012 plowed through any snow conditions, and I dont anticipate my 2013 to be any different.

My buying decision was based on AWD, all around with off road capabilities, and driving in snow conditions. The Salt Lake Valley can, and does, at times get a lot of snow and the mountains we get a lot of snow.

My girlfriend has a 2005 Mazda CX-7---it has a turbo and scoots pretty good for a 4 banger and is WAY quicker than my Outback. She's looking at the Crosstrek and CX-5 in the next few months when she replaces it.
    Thanks! The Cross Trek XV seems to be like a modifed Impreza; my Impreza is smaller on the inside than the CX-5. From the brochures, the passenger volume on the CX-5 with moonnroof is 102.3, on the Outback with moonroof is 102.4 - nearly identical (the longer Outback has a larger cargo area). The CX-5 has a weak engine in terms of acceleration (the Outback may be slightly quicker) but handles really well, and is sporty to drive. I'm not expecting the Outback to be as fun to drive as the Mazda, but I hope with the 2013 changes it's at least somewhat of a pleasure. I'm basically unsure of which to buy - the Subaru has by reputation the best reliablility, best AWD, better radio (H-K sounds better than Mazda's Bose) and more cargo room, the Mazda has better fuel economy, is a lot of fun to drive, has the nifty 40/40/20 split rear seats, and with comparable features costs slightly less.

How good, in your experience, are Mazda AWD in snow? Much worse than than that of Subarus?

Thank you again for your input...
    FWIW I drove a CX5 (my sister was shopping) and then an Impreza back-to-back, and the 2l engine struggles to move the weight of the CX5. You get a lot of noise and not much results.

The same size engine in the lighter Impreza coped much better.

She did like the lane departure warning, in fact lots of the tech worked well. It's cute and efficient, too.

The Impreza simply drove better. Surprisingly the back seat was roomier, too. You can't fold the CX5's rear seats without sliding the front seat forward.

We've owned a 626, 2 Miatas, a Legacy, and 2 Forester. All but the 626 were good to us.
    Thanks. I like the Impreza (my wife has a 2011, which has the stronger engine than the new one). The steering feels a little lighter than on my Mazda5 "microvan" and it doesn't seem to handle quite as well when I push it on corners and twists, but it's still fun to drive and much much better than various rentals I have had. It's also amazing in snow.

We do need a bigger road-trip/hauling stuff car in the family, however, which means an AWD SUV, crossover or wagon. I'd prefer not to compromise too much on drivability, though. The Mazda CX-5 has weak acceleration but it is fun to drive; the dealer even found a really twisty troad to test-drive it on. I'm certainly not expecting it to behave like a sports car, but I'm hoping the Outback with its improvements has become acceptable in that department.
  • jd_24jd_24 Member Posts: 92
    The "free" oil changes won't be free. That is for conventional oil only, for synthetic they give you like a $20 credit. I almost bought my Impreza from them, but they are only over on the west side of Minneapolis/St.Paul and too far out of my way and in heavy traffic areas. I'd waiste more that $20 in my time and gas getting there.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    The new Outback comes with both an automatic and manual transmission in the same vehicle.

If only. Sadly, it is an automatic with paddle shifters.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited August 2012
    I did enjoy the CX5, FWIW. Just not powerful enough for my wants.

I would LOVE to see a 2.5l SkyActiv engine in there.
    Hello too all:

What should I use to clean & polish the dash and other areas having the same type material. I used to use Armor-all but is that frowned on now w/ the oil in it? I don't mean the leather areas but the dash, doors, etc. Thanks for any help provided.

Vince
    Hello again:

Forgot to ask this on last post. The 3.6L Outback has the smallest tailpipes I have ever seen. That having been said does anyone know what type of stainless extensions would work on them. Also they turn down after coming off the mufflers which may or may not add to problems finding ones that would work.

Thanks, Vince
  • subiwomansubiwoman Member Posts: 1
    Good luck on this one..... my wife's 2013 subi starts on its own!! Dealer, corp, know nothing about it. Yet, even with the remote for the engine...with the battery out, the car continues to start on its own from time to time.... any suggestions?? I'll give whomever gets the answer to this one a billion bucks.