Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Best Family Cars

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited February 2014 in General
Parent's Magazine (with a little help from Edmunds), does an annual Best Family Cars. Style and speed aren't the main factors - they look at budget concerns, ability to haul gear and of course, safety.

If you were to get your mom a car for Mother's Day, what would you pick?

Comments

• LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Genesis 3.8 or Azera
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    My mother is an empty nester, no gear to haul. She has a Camry which she really likes, and lives in an area where only the big 2 and the Japanese big 2 have dealers. I'd probably get her an Avalon.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited May 2012
    F/awd Venza with the I4, but with a switch modification to turn the "awd" system "off, enabled, or momentarily (30 seconds[?]) full on. Awaiting a hybrid F/awd (same implementation) Venza with the new I4 Atkinsonized.

Otherwise I would NEVER trust an older person's life to a FWD or F/awd vehicle.

Supposedly Ford and Toyota have formed an alliance to design/develop a rear drive hybrid system for the truck and SUV market. Maybe they should have included Infiniti in the alliance.

Brake regeneration at the REAR ONLY will be much less life threatening vs front only, safer overall, while also adding a significant level of vehicle stabilty during braking and/or coastdown periods.

Or an RX250h.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2012
    My 90 year old mom quit driving ~5 years ago after getting a photo radar ticket for speeding (says she was just keeping up with traffic). Any car we got her would have to come with Morgan Freeman on call.

My 85 year old mother-in-law has a pretty nice older LeSabre, but it's kind of big for some of the parking lots she has to negotiate. I've dropped a hint more than once now that a street legal golf car would be just the ticket for her, since we do all the out of town driving for her now. Be a lot easier for her to see over the steering wheel too. The small town we live in is practically a retirement community as it is, and it'd be easy to stay off the collector streets, since we basically just have one.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    That golf cart would need some first rate snow tires....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    it'd be easy to stay off the collector streets, since we basically just have one.

Hmm, UP- US41 or US 2 ???
    edited May 2012
    More like "Main". :-)

And yeah, Fezo, we do a lot of local errands and post office runs with her during the winter with the Subaru too. (Good to see you posting more again!).
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Here ya go, Steve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlOPFSTwNeg

I'd suggest some Carhart coveralls and goggles to go along with it. :shades:
    Older folks like, generally, being surrounded by lots of metal structure...BULK.
    edited May 2012
    Try THAT with your FWD or F/awd SUV...!!

Fun, FUN, and fully under control....well, mostly.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...were the 1961-1970 full-size Chevrolets.
    And what new car would you buy your Mom for this weekend?
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Mom likes really tiny cars and currently owns a 2006 Chevrolet Aveo. A new Chevrolet Sonic would probably be the best choice for her.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    She just turned 91 and no longer drives, which her neighbors are very thankful for. :blush: My Mom never enjoyed driving, so my Dad was at the wheel 100% of the time on all of their trips. However, she certainly enjoys telling you how to drive!

Mom: You're going too fast/slow. Watch out for that guy in front of us! He looks like he's drunk. There's a stop sign/light ahead. You'd better turn on the lights/wipers.

Me: Okay, Mom, why don't you drive now.

Mom: No thanks, you're doing fine, but don't stomp on the brakes so hard.

:sick:

BUT, if I was getting her a new vehicle, it would have to be a something everyone in the family would enjoy driving! :D
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Depends on the size of the family. For mom, dad & 2 kids, a Prius would be good because it has a big backseat and more cargo space then an accord or camry. With 3 or more kids, I'd get an Odyssey or Sienna.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    New Cadillac CVS V, AWD & the trunk would haul her skis to Whistler. :)
    Okay, that's the best suggestion I've heard yet. Don't forget to stick a season pass in the glove box.
  • victor23victor23 Member Posts: 201
    Is this a discussion about family cars, or about vehicles for single seniors?
    "Edmunds.com and Parents magazine have gotten together to sift through the wide array of choices and select the vehicles best suited for family duty. When evaluating vehicles, safety was at the top of our list. All our picks boast excellent crash-test scores, and all have at least six airbags to protect passengers in the event of an accident."

Top 10 Family Vehicles for 2013
    A reporter would like to speak to a couple who recently purchased a family car together. If you and your spouse have kids, purchased a car within the past six months and would like to share your story with a journalist, please send your daytime contact information at pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 2 p.m. PT/5 p.m. ET.
  • kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    The only problem I have with the interior is the lack of a power passenger seat.