Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jetta 2011 + mpg

smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
Hey all, I'm considering the Jetta as a next car and I was hoping I could get some real world mpg readings both city/highway on the 2.5L 4 cyl and TDI engines for the 2011 plus model years. I know the TDI is rated higher in mpg then the 2.5L, but I wanted to see if the mpg was really that much better to warrant the higher msrp of the TDI, especially since we have no way of knowing if gas prices will ever go down or skyrocket from where they are now. Look forward to your responses!

Comments

• vtcarguyvtcarguy Member Posts: 4
    I have 2011 Jetta TDI 6 spd manual. I live in Vermont and have a 50 mile commute each way. The car has 7600 miles on it. My commute is on the highway with cruise set in the low 70's. Based upon 80% highway I am averaging an actual 43 to 45 mpg. Extended highway driving will provide 50 MPG with ease and I have never gotten less than 40mpg.
    Also if you like performance--buy the TDI! The TDI is praised for outstanding fuel economy but the torque will amaze you--the TDI should be advertised as a fuel efficient performance car.
  • drew11mdrew11m Guest Posts: 85
    after 13389 in my manual 2012 Jetta TDI

Overall mpg: 39.9
    average mix: 65/35 highway city
    Best mpg: 90/10 highway city mix was 43.7
    worst: 36.6, with lots of winter heat and idling.

On a 250 mile drive to Chicago have averaged well over 46mpg on highway.

Not sure what you ended up doing, but the Jetta TDI really does get solid gas mileage.