Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Member Spotlight - Meet Fezo! - June/July 2012

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Steve, I think Mr. Shiftright came to "know" us pretty well and as a result he trusted us to not step (too far) over the line.

My username I'm sure brought a lot of wrath on me and I was often the target of some insults. I would push back, to a point but I think I knew when to back off. There were a couple of hosts that kept their thumb on me to the point I almost left a couple of times.

A lot of troublemakers have come and gone over the years along with car salespeople trying to promote their business. I never once did that and I think everyone knew that. That wasn't my goal.

I do miss some of the active topics that have disappeared or dried up and I really miss a lot of the former posters. I didn't always agree with them but I enjoyed the back and forth banter.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    The meaning of your life? That would be a tough one..... I'm surprised it's not in your book....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Fezo, you have *no idea* how much human effort it takes to appear sane

Hang in there shifty, you survived mine and isells "rough" years. It's all downhill from here. ;)

Besides shiftright, tidester was a great host. I really miss him. Witty and sharp as a tack. In all the global warming discussions I read, he was so clear and precise in his arguments... his posters (debating the opposite point of view) didn't stand a chance. He was a really nice guy.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Jipster, you weren't "rough" compared to a few before you. You annoyed me as I probably did you until I got to "know" you and realized you were a good egg. Where have you been anyway?

Totally agree on tidester. What a nice guy and what a terrible loss.

I'm thinking that Shifty may be the only remaining "original" host? Am I right?
    Yeah, I'm sure Shifty is the last of the original hosts. Actually that is a good thing for the most part. He's been pretty much the same guy all along. The "newer" hosts are more in that mold.

I do miss Tidester. Big loss.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    You're a good guy isell. Took me awhile to figure it out, but better late than never. ;)

Well, I've been away due to a couple of things. Mainly going thru the process of trying to sell my old house "By Owner", getting the old house repaired, painted and ready to sell... while moving into our new house. From start to finish that was about a 7 month, long and tedious, process. Guess that broke me of my daily habit of logging onto Edmunds. Always enjoyable when I'm able to check in and see how you guys are doing. By the way, haven't seen you in awhile either. Where have you been.... traveling? :confuse:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    edited June 2012
    I'm a youngster having come around here for the first time in 2004. I recognized immediately the uniqueness of the forum and the value of the contributions made by everyone thus far posting to this topic, along with many, many others.

Whether the flavor of the day is agreement, debate, or heated argument, this forum feels like a bastion of sanity compared to the often turbulent world outside it. Great timing for this topic, too, as it makes for a nice reprieve from the chaos and tragedy in my week.

Best wishes on your continued healing, Fezo.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited June 2012
    I don't know that I'm the last original host or not, but I am the *oldest* host in age I believe. If I can't outsmart 'em, I can outlive 'em :P

I think I expressed, or felt, genuine disappointment only 1X with any member of the Forums, and that of course, is long past history that need not be relived. The fact that such an occurrence is so rare speak volumes to your collective ability to get along, change your mind, take a breath, see the other side, and best of all, to realize that contribution beats confrontation every time.

Okay, the love-in is over, get your gloves back on! :)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You, Car_Man, and myself started as hosts in 1997 when the community was first launched. And you're not "old", Mr_Shiftright, you're chronologically gifted. :shades:

Soooo, fifteen years in this gig. I know there are many that have disagreed in how the Forums have been managed over the years, but I hope they realize that it's been a learning process for us and our intentions have always been for the good of the entire community.

Yeesh, I sound like a manager or something. :)
    I hadn't realized you went that far back. I certainly knew you'd been here a while!

I haven't seen Car_man in a dog's age. I'm on the wrong boards....

I was going to mention the learning curve. We ran through a few folks in charge finding that. I only found out in the last week or so that the last few weeks that there was a change I didn't know about but the handoff was seamless which is way better than things had been before.

They need another host, I'm available....
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    haven't seen Car_man in a dog's age. I'm on the wrong boards....

Car_man is a HUGE asset on the leasing boards. He provides all the current money factors/residuals/incentives to help you calculate your own lease. His info in my last two leases was dead on and helped me to confirm the dealer wasn't marking up the MF, etc.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    not to belittle the service he provides, but I notice the response time has slowed WAAAAYYY down.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jg88jg88 Member Posts: 59
    This is getting way out of hand -- what's with all the courtesy and compliments? While Ask Sir Fezo was funny as heck, there were times when we had a few rounds of perhaps not too complimentary exchanges. ASF was not for the meek or feint of heart, there were some great characters on-board where shyness was not often found among the inhabitants. Guess I've been gone a while since the ASF daze. BTW, that was not a malipropism.

Did we even have a host? I don't recall having one...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Feels like a virtual high school reunion in here. Better run out and rent myself a cooler car. The minivan isn't going to cut it with this crowd.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited June 2012
    This topic does a good job of policing itself; in the old days certain members would zero in on the jerks and attempt to get them to implode. It was fun...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited June 2012
    Yes, "certain members" had a talent of zeroing in on the jerks and goading them into saying things that led them down the old "Banishment Trail".

Once in awhile we would get lucky enough to see the troublemaker's final obsenity filled post before it got taken down.

Yeah, that WAS fun! ;)
    Oh, Car_man is in leasing. No wonder I don't see him. The Sir does not do leases....

Oh, some of the parting messages were wonderful. I'll not name names but I do know that some of those banished folks have returned under secret identities and are just fine these days. Must have been the kryptonite....
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited June 2012
    Craig....I want to say it was '94-'95....maybe even '97 (got my first home internet connection, albeit dial-up in '94) that I stumbled in here. Aside from the hosts (which have been here for a good long while), I remember seeing your posts. You (I don't agree with you all the time, nor you with me) and fezo have been as helpful as any in these boards over the years.

Made some new friends in here, too. Sometimes I bow out for awhile, I always come back to find genuine and helpful posts.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Oh, I think you and I usually agree with each other. It would be pretty boring if we ALWAYS agreed on everything!
    One of the 1st questions I asked to Sir Fezo was why wheels appear to be going in reverse in movies, especially wagon wheels. That one lasted for about 5 pages of nonsense and fun. Since no one ever properly explained the reason, I still wonder.
    Didn't have Wikipedia back in the day?

You can see it in real life too (strobe effect).
    Hey! Sir Fezo was the original Wikipedia! Once in a while we even got a correct answer. We tried not to but sometimes it was unavoidable.
    BTW, Your Sir is reporting from home from today (last night actually) until Sunday. He'll likely go check out where he previously allegedly worked before he landed in his current situation.

Just missed the girls' softball game last night by minutes. Darn that Obama!
    Excellent response, perhaps the idea for wikipedia came from ASF -- if anyone can prove otherwise they are welcome to respond. Mainly the point on ASF was to discuss the question more than find the answer.
    In W. LA. along Interstate 10 is a billboard advertising Fezzo's restaurant. Is this teh incorrect spelling? (Teh is Fezo-ese for the.)
    More fun than watching TV, that's for sure.

(42, btw).
    (42, btw).

Of course!
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Craig...we did agree most of the time.

Always enjoyed fezo's answers, be they correct, or not (glad you're making it home, buddy...even for a little bit).

Here's to more "fezo" as well as not only reminiscing, but also looking ahead for more......

:)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edited June 2012
    Fezo, anything planned?
    We are staying home and I'll grill some steaks and fish.
    Not into going to a restaurant.
    I'm asking for a Worx GT. I'll just use it as an edger.
    I enjoy going to NASCAR races when I can and related to that is reading articles related to to it.
    Ten or more years ago, I started following weekly reports by Matt McGlaughlin.
    He posts this story just before every Father's Day and it has never gotten old for me.
    http://www.frontstretch.com/mmclaughlin/39841/
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    It will be a laid back and not too late Father's Day. They let me go home for the long weekend but back to NYC Sunday evening. Less than a month and they let me stay.

Can't go out to eat for a while. Restricted diet.

Gee, this is fun.....
    Get ready for the parade when you get back. ;)
    You betcha!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,440
    beats the alternative.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I'm not much for Father's Day; as a friend of mine puts it, it's just the same as Mother's Day- except you get a tie or a shirt.
    Whoopie...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Today we present Sir Fezo's driver's ed in three minutes. Many here can ignore the speed part of the advice. Grandpa's advice.
    It'll be a good Father's Day for me! Going to "Fenders on Front Street" which is a yearly event in our town. They close down the main street and it'll be packed with a hundred or more old cars. Going with my son and 2 year old grandson.

Then, probably fire up the bar-b-que.

Another car show tonight. What a great town to live in!
    My parents had a car like that one! A 1951 Buick Roadmaster. Dark green with a white top. What a car that was!

That song reminded me of a story.

There was a five year old girl whose grandfather would pick her up every Saturday morning and take her for a ride in the country in his car.

One Saturday, he couldn't come so her grandmother picked her up instead and took her for her weekly ride.

When they returned, her mother asked if she had enjoyed the ride.

" Oh yes, we saw cows, sheep, and horses but we didn't even see one [non-permissible content removed] this time"
    LOL!

• zaken1zaken1 Member Posts: 556
    Having only been on this site since about 2007, I don't have the old memories you guys have; but I'm still known to fix things well.

I am a cancer survivor (Melanoma in 1990) and have been through stuff I would not want anyone to go through. In 1995, I found out about an electrical instrument which kills viruses and bacteria by using precisely tuned radio frequencies. I didn't know anything about it; but it came with an unconditional money back guarantee; and I was up against the wall at that time; so I bought it. I soon found that it is more effective than I would ever have imagined.

I've now been using this device for 17 years, and I would always hope to have it with me when needed. It is gentle and free of side effects, and can be used in the privacy of home, where it can enhance the results of conventional therapies.

As might be expected; there are conflicting opinions about this. I tend to place more trust in my own experience than in claims and opinions I hear.

Anyway, there is a book by Barry Lymes, called :"The Cancer Cure That Worked." which describes the history of this device: http://www.amazon.com/The-Cancer-Cure-That-Worked/dp/0919951309?tag=duckduckgo-l- m-20

There are many such devices being sold. The best one I would want for myself is: http://gb4000.org/gb4000_products.html There is also a less expensive device that looks potentially good; though I have not personally used one: http://www.rifedigital.com/

I hope you have a great weekend! Joel
    Isell, Happy Dad's Day, and you have really relaxed since starting your new career. ;)
    Not sure if it has anything to do with your posts about the 528i, but I saw an ad on tv today that the 528i now has a 3k incentive. :)
    Once you go down that 'youtube' road, it's hard to get back off.
    That guy is great. :shades:
    Well, your Sir has had his first experience in a Ford Transit Connect taxi. If I can be careful enough it won't be repeated.

Holy smokes! First you climb up a flight to get in and then what a rigid, bumpy ride - with the "oh, %$#@!!&" handle just out of reach.

Better stick with the old Crown Vics.
    Since Ford brought them out, I wondered what they rode like. I know of a guy who bought one and outfitted it like a mini RV for camping trips.

In NYC it seems most of the newer cabs today are Escape hybrids, what will they do now since the new Escapes are all solely gas operated?

BTW, really liked the Nascar link.
    Yeah, a lot of Escape hybrids around here. Perfectly fine to ride in.

Lots of Camry hybrids as well though I've yet to catch one of those.
    Had my first ride in a Prius taxi today. Kind of like riding in the back of a Corolla. Not the jarring experience the Transit Connect was.

An Escape hybrid for the trip back. Nice ride actually.

Plenty hot out there today.
    Today'e edition of The Daily Idiot.
    The tape will probably hang her but all she had to do was say "I thought I dialed 511".

Or 411 or 211. So many similar numbers out there it's going to happen more and more. Not to mention dialing 911 when you sit down with your phone in your back pocket.
    Back pocket? Didn't think to look THERE!!!