Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 Mazda 626 V6 Head Gasket

my2sense2my2sense2 Member Posts: 2
I have a 2001 Mazda 626 6 cyl that I only has 63,000 miles on it. I just purchased it 7 months agao for $4000 and have had to put approx $2000 into it for repairs on other things. I took it in because the temp gage was running hot. I was told it may be the head gasket because it was low about 1 1/2 gallons of water and there was no external leak and was further told it would be best if I just traded it in. I have put a lot of money into this car and have zero money for a new car. Are these cars prone to blow head gaskets? Is it worth getting repaired?

Comments

• andrew80andrew80 Member Posts: 1
    Yeah of-course it is. If not repaired its definitely worth getting replaced. Actually head gasket handles all the heat produced in the vehicle and so at times gets damaged.You can easily get a new Head Gasket at an affordable prize and trust me replacing it would vanish Your entire worries.
    mazda car models
  • my2sense2my2sense2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply andrew80! Found out there were more oil leaks in the rear of engine.. I have not gotten rid of the car yet but was told by another mechanic (2nd opinion) that it would cost more than the car is worth to reapir.. I just can't seem to allow myself to get rid of the car!! It's a nice car!! Just wish I could get it fixed! It is actually one of the nicest cars I have ever gotten. just can't bring myself to let it go! :( In limbo!!
  • texasmazdafantexasmazdafan Member Posts: 3
    This is my second 626. First one went 200K. I now have a 5 speed 2001 V6 626 with 114K. About three months ago it started making a metallic grinding sound when I accelerate - less often I hear it when idling. It's also making a loud ticking sound that seems to be getting louder. It drives very well and recently passed inspection although I've had to replace the gas cap a couple of times (catalytic converter code) My car guys of 15 years say there's an oil leak in the engine and that they will have to take the engine out to diagnose. I'm looking at a $1000 or more repair and I'm panicking since I've spent $2K on it in the last year. Mazda listened to it and said the valve gasket covers probably need to be replaced but it would be $500 to take engine out and diagnose..they also quoted about $1000-1,500 for repair. My car guys said valve gasket covers wouldn't make that noise. In addition, my AC belt has started to squeal slightly but goes away when turned off. I don't have anywhere close to the kind of money they are quoting and any help trying to narrow down this sound would be appreciated. No thumping or engine knocking at all. I have replaced the Harmonic Balancer, radiator, radiator overflow tank, valve gasket covers 4 years ago, timing belt, clutch master cylinder and various oil leaks (timing belt cover leak and one other) Catalytic converter, water pump, engine mounts, alternator, fuel pump, clutch are all original. I've been doing a lot of research on these boards but nothing has jumped out at me. I leave for work at 3:30 in the morning and my neighbors hate me. Help!
    Mazda Girl