Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra Original Equipment Tires

sunstate2013sunstate2013 Member Posts: 6
edited February 2014 in Hyundai
My 2013 Elantra GLS Sedan has the Hankook P205/55R16 89H tires.

I was curious if all the Elantra's are equipped with the same tires or if there are different types depending on where the car originated.

My Elantra came from the Korea Plant but do the cars that originate from the Alabama Plant have the same tires?

The owner of the dealership told me that with the increased production at the Alabama Plant about 60% of the Elantra's sold in the US come from the Alabama Plant with the balance coming from Korea,

Comments

• Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    For many years on the Elantra the OEM tires were either Hankook Optimo H426 or Kumho Solus KH16. The Kumho is a much better tire. The H426 is a frighteningly bad tire in any snow or ice. It is amazing that Hankook makes such a miserable OEM tire, when the H727 is an outstanding tire. I tried to get the dealer to swap out my tires with some Kumhos on their lot from another Elantra, but they are not allowed to do that (so they say). I left the H426's on for 2 years and then got rid of them before the third winter set in.
  • Options
    rudy66rudy66 Member Posts: 26
    Check your trunk. You don't have a spare tire.
  • Options
    sunstate2013sunstate2013 Member Posts: 6
    Well aware of the no spare tire and knew it well before purchase. At first it caused some concern but after thinking about, after almost 45 years of being a licensed driver I have never had a catastrophic failure that an inflation system wouldn't take care of on a temporary basis and that's after many cross country trips from FL. to CA and back. I have had punctures too large to repair once the debris was removed but you certainly don't want to remove any debris until you are in a secure location. Of course I never have run my car tires up to the point where they questionable from a traction or age standpoint. Good tires are the most important part of the safety equation.

If I were planning a long road trip that would take me into some wide open spaces I would get the spare tire kit or piece one together on my own just for added piece of mind. I know the Hyundai Dealers sell a spare tire kit but it's about $240 which is probably $100 more than it should be.

Funny thing though, my neighbor has a new 2012 fully equipped Camaro, probably paid close to 40K for and it has an seal/inflation system as opposed to a spare tire and in looking at a number of new cars on the web it is obvious that other manufacturers are going without the traditional spare tire as well. I do think the traditional spare vs the seal/inflation system should be at the discretion of the buyer as it would be very easy for the Dealer to address at the time of purchase.
  • Options
    rudy66rudy66 Member Posts: 26
    Amen, I am with you. I got a spare via a Hyundai sale, maybe paid too much but my concern was fooling around with a tire problem in snow or a snowstorm. I buy new tires before they fully wear down, never had a flat, but you never know........ In any case, I didn't trust the Hyundai gadget.
  • Options
    crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    totally agree with comments on having a pare- even the "trailer tire" version. We had the deflated spare with the can of air/sealant in a 300ZX. Never had to use it bit carried TWO extra cans of flat seal to feel more safe.
    We bought the 2012 Sonata GLS that had the trailer tire as standard equipment. Once the cars get too small the mfrs are going to eiliminate the spare for weight as much as space. The self sealing air cans are a great backup to have in your car. Ask a BMW owner about his experience with buying, fixing and replacing on the road a run flat tire. You won't want that option on any car if you have a choice.
  • Options
    shanepbshanepb Member Posts: 1

I bought a new 2013 Hyundai Elantra from a Westbrook Maine dealer in August. It came with Optimo H426 tires. Had I known how bad they are in the snow, I never would have bought the car since I can't afford new tires. Two days ago I slid into a snow bank getting into my driveway and cracked the front bumper and knocked the passenger fog light inward. I've had the car less than 6 months and am now faced with a repair bill. My driveway doesn't have much of an incline and my Pontiac Sunfire never behaved so poorly, even with its OEM ties that I replaced after 2 winters. With today's high tech materials, there is no need for a bumper that weak to be put on new cars, and what kind of company ships cars with OEM tires that can't grip on snow to northern states? I also just learned that it doesn't come with a spare tire, of which the dealer did NOT inform me. The paperwork does say it comes with a puncture repair kit in lieu of a spare tire. That's a lot of not good enough for 20K. But in good driving conditions, the car handles well. And I liked the vehicle a lot until the snow came.

• Options
    whatfuturewhatfuture Member Posts: 46

shanepb: I bought the 2013 Elantra Ltd. not long ago. I'm in the South (having moved from the North) where we get snow and one inch shuts things down here. The tires are the same as yours and they are bad. I'm in NC. I'm on a limited income but due to the bad tires (and I hate to tell you but you better check your battery*) I'm sure the tread life will wear soon and I will replace the junk tires with something of substance. An *Interstate battery is in mine and I have no idea why I asked but it was a two-year battery. Interstate was the lowest rated battery by Consumer Rpts. some years ago. I had one in my last car and it died early. So be forewarned.

Most Hyundais (and other cars, too) don't come with a spare. We were fortunate enough to see the Elantra sedan car in a parking lot and were admiring it. The owner was in the car :) and she gave us a tour. It included no spare - the stupid can is STANDARD (uppercase as that's how it show on the MSRP). The spare came as an extra on my car. This won't make you feel any better but my spouse also replaced our 2010 RAV4 - it was horrible. The new car he bought has no spare and I said I'll have to find one when finances settle down.

We're also in a position where when it snows and the kids ride down the street and packs the snow down, we don't have to go out. The tires scare me.

Your dealer should've told you and if you look at the MSRP, it should be clearly written on it. But I don't think salesmen care (it would've been a negative) and just want to push cars out.

I don't trust the car, trust the warranty less, and I haven't driven it much. But tomorrow will be a test when we make a 5-6 hour drive. I'm really glad you say the car handles well, though.

Good luck to both of us!

• Options
    oracle_of_rockoracle_of_rock Member Posts: 58

How about snow tires for a 13' Elantra GT? The size (215/45/17) they require appears to be out of the ordinary and thus expensive. Anyone buy snow tires for this model? Where and how much?

• Options
    litesong2litesong2 Member Posts: 44
    My 2013 Elantra GLS Sedan also has the Hankook P205/55R16 89H tires. The alignment on my Elantra has been excellent & the dealer recommended no tire rotation twice, which has turned out very well. Have had one tire rotation within the present 22,000 miles & tire tread all around looks very good. Hope to get 50,000 miles on them if they continue wearing as they have. Think the excellent alignment piloted me well through the minimal snow I've encountered so far. With tires at 38psi, my cornering has been OK, tho I certainly don't push it. Averaging 39 mpg with 15% city driving, 2 summers & one winter. By next spring, think my life-time mpg can hold above 37mpg & hope for higher(maybe even 38+mpg). For poorly recommended tires, my Hankooks are OK. A new Michelin tire has come out with tread as it wears, compensates to maintain traction.
  • Options
    georgenageorgena Member Posts: 1
    litesong2 said:

My 2013 Elantra GLS Sedan also has the Hankook P205/55R16 89H tires. The alignment on my Elantra has been excellent & the dealer recommended no tire rotation twice, which has turned out very well. Have had one tire rotation within the present 22,000 miles & tire tread all around looks very good. Hope to get 50,000 miles on them if they continue wearing as they have. Think the excellent alignment piloted me well through the minimal snow I've encountered so far. With tires at 38psi, my cornering has been OK, tho I certainly don't push it. Averaging 39 mpg with 15% city driving, 2 summers & one winter. By next spring, think my life-time mpg can hold above 37mpg & hope for higher(maybe even 38+mpg). For poorly recommended tires, my Hankooks are OK. A new Michelin tire has come out with tread as it wears, compensates to maintain traction.

litesong2, I am curious how your Hankook P205/55R16 89H tires are holding up?
  • Options
    litesong2litesong2 Member Posts: 44
    edited July 2016
    Sorry I'm late to answer. My Hankooks looked wonderful at 20,000 miles. As stated, very gentle featherfooting & excellent alignment gave me hopes of 50,000 miles. Almost immediately tho, the Hankooks started wearing strongly. Tho at 38psi, they wore evenly. But at 32,000 they looked like they wouldn't go 40,000 miles. It was December 2015 & a good sale on Goodyear Comfortreds at the local family owned dealer, the Hankook tires were gone. The Goodyears are more responsive than the Hankooks ever were. Despite my use of higher tire pressures, the Comfortreds are more.......comfortable too. Altho on sale, the Goodyears still were higher priced. They better get beyond 60,000 miles. Some owners have had bad experiences with the Goodyears, while other owners went past 100,000 miles on the Comfortreds. We'll see.
  • Options
    jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    Looks like OEM tires on the 17 and 18 Elantras with 17" wheels are either Nexen N Pritz AH8's or Continental ProContacts. Driven both and the Conti's are better handling and smoother riding (driven in Elantra Limiteds back-to-back on same mixed road surfaces), although the Nexens have a longer treadware rating (500 vs 400).
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,289
    jona57 said:

Looks like OEM tires on the 17 and 18 Elantras with 17" wheels are either Nexen N Pritz AH8's or Continental ProContacts. Driven both and the Conti's are better handling and smoother riding (driven in Elantra Limiteds back-to-back on same mixed road surfaces), although the Nexens have a longer treadware rating (500 vs 400).

What trim level is this for?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    Limited trim, Alabama builds.