Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Ford Escape

Comments

• usa1fanusa1fan Member Posts: 68
    I haven't seen staining from water or snowflakes, but I have had blue jeans leave color on the seats. I don't wear them too often, and it seems to be wearing off as I sit in the seat (with dress pants / sweats, etc.).
  • kathymcc123kathymcc123 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2013 Escape SE with the grayish cloth seats. Have had it since January 7, 2013 and so far no staining seats and the other day little water from the umbrella got on it.

Like anything else, each car can be different like people. What may happen with some cars, doesn't mean it will be exactly the same for you. Best to check with Ford headquarters in Detroit on the ratings of your local area dealerships as to their quality of service😁. Like a draft pick In sports, dealers with good overall ratings with Ford seem to get first choice cars off production lines
  • dan5678dan5678 Member Posts: 28
    8+ inches of snow in mid Missouri yesterday.
    4wd'd into the parking lot at work today through the pile the plows had deposited at the entrance overnight.

From across the lot I saw some snow sticking under the front fascia. Took a look under there and noticed some sort of air intake (???) I guess. It seems to be part of the plastic, under-engine, cover on the passenger side of the center of the lower grill opening and appears to maybe route to the back side of the engine?

I don't think it's an intake for the air cleaner as there appears to be one of those at the top of the grill. It doesn't seem like a vehicle sold as having snow-going capabilities would have something important hanging down there. Any ideas? Turbo cooling? Fresh? air? (I'd think "fresh" air intake would not be located facing the exhaust pipe of the driver ahead of you)
    edited February 2013
    I noticed that 'intake' myself on our Escape and wondered the same thing. So I did a lot of searching, eventually finding a couple of other forums where it's mentioned. It's a cooling duct that routes air to the rear of the engine and transmission area, and is supposedly for the transmission. A couple of people have mentioned having taken theirs off. Nobody has mentioned any issues without it, though I'm still a bit skeptical that there won't be in the future, otherwise Ford wouldn't go to the expense of putting it on in the first place.
  • pzampzam Member Posts: 19
    I got my Titanium in August and had lots of problems. Sync regularly locked up, proximity sensors failed, dash lights wouldn't dim, GPS was slow to lock, etc. Some were simply bad modules which the dealer replaced. Others were design issues, but I'm happy to say that it appears Ford is slowly knocking them out. Sync 3.5.1 has been much more stable than the prior version. TSB 13-02-01 corrected a bunch of issues, including early indication of low fuel, one button reset of computer functions, and failure of nav to update on the Intelligent 4WD screen. A new GPS module appears to lock much quicker -- like 1 minute instead of 10. I suspect Ford isn't publicizing the GPS fix on a TSB yet, but the new ones were backordered and appear to have fixed my problem. 8 service visits in 6 months kind of sucks, but luckily I have a fantastic dealer who has taken great care of me. Lesson learned: if you buy a vehicle in its first year of production, make sure you get it from a dealer with superior customer service.
    ok then. I suppose, as the ambient air temp is hovering around 0deg C, I shouldnt be too concerned if there's snow instead of air in that duct.
  • escapeti2013escapeti2013 Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,

My '13 Escape has the HID headlamps along with the LED running lights, both of which (to me at least) look great with the "pure white" light they emit. However, it seems that the fog lamps are some sort of standard bulbs that emit the more typical off-white light that you'd expect from an incandescent bulb, and it makes it look a little odd when you have the fog lamps on along with the headlamps as the fog lamps and the headlamps are two very different shades of white. I'm wondering if anyone has found any sort of a replacement for the fog lamp bulbs that more closely matches the color of the headlamp bulbs.

Thanks!
  • ghanashyamlghanashyaml Member Posts: 9
    Thanks all for yours replies.
  • mikeqtmikeqt Member Posts: 9
    Picked up my new Escape and drove 16 miles, (26 miles on odometer) and the GPS could not find the street that I was driving on. Quality!! Two weeks have gone by and ford still hasn't found the fix!! I think they don't know.
    Then just to add to my frustration the tailgate started to wear a hole through my bumper!!! Talked to my dealers body shop and determined the door is made incorrectly,(too big for the hole it must go in) and they would try to adjust it to fit it better so not rub on bumper. I then checked the other new Ford Escapes on the dealers lot and everyone is the same! NONE OF THE LINES FROM THE REAR FENDER AND TAIL LIGHTS LINE UP TO THE TAILGATE!!!!!
    Just called the BBB and started lemon law action.
    THIS!!!!, for a car coming from Ford!
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    I can understand not knowing about the GPS, but how did you not notice the tailgate issue during your walk around and pointed it out before signing the papers or driving the car off the lot? I doubt the tailgate was made incorrectly, they're all stamped from the same die, it's not aligned properly and can be made right through adjustment and the bumper cover can be replaced. I'm not sure you have a lemon law claim, but good luck with that.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    edited February 2013
    "My '13 Escape has the HID headlamps along with the LED running lights, both of which (to me at least) look great with the "pure white" light they emit. However, it seems that the fog lamps are some sort of standard bulbs that emit the more typical off-white light that you'd expect from an incandescent bulb, and it makes it look a little odd when you have the fog lamps on along with the headlamps as the fog lamps and the headlamps are two very different shades of white. I'm wondering if anyone has found any sort of a replacement for the fog lamp bulbs that more closely matches the color of the headlamp bulbs. "

Fog lights have a completely different purpose than normal lights; it may be intentional that they used the softer light, since a bright light in foggy conditions might actually make things worse. You are concerned with ascetics, but the lights have a specific use.

I don't know if this is the reason. I have not seen any articles or studies on this question. But I thought I'd mention it.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I like the fact that the fog lights come on when making turns to better light the right/left sides. I wasn't aware of that when I bought the vehicle. I also like the night visibility with the HID lamps.
    I have worn jeans, etc and no staining. I would suggest spraying stain guard once you get the seat clean. Sometimes, when I have cloth seats, I sit on a dish towel in the same color as the seats, or passengers. Especially if it's raining etc
    I have an SE and I wonder if my fog lights come on when I turn at night. :)
    I just realized what may cause your particular staining problem. If your jeans are new, for example, colors can "bleed" from clothing when new. So can other clothes when new and "bleed" for a while. If they are washable, use Shout Color Catcher sheets in the washer. If you use a clothes dryer the sheet can go in there as well. Scotch guard sprayed on jeans can work also
  • johnnyumajohnnyuma Member Posts: 54
    You can see the lights come on when you turn. Look out your side window, slightly down and toward the front - when making a left turn and you'll see a light come on - if you have the feature. That's how I found out my vehicle had the feature - I didn't know until I saw the light come on.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "You can see the lights come on when you turn. Look out your side window, slightly down and toward the front - when making a left turn and you'll see a light come on - if you have the feature. That's how I found out my vehicle had the feature - I didn't know until I saw the light come on. "

And be sure that your auto insurance is up to date, looking out the side window while making a turn...
  • automelon48automelon48 Member Posts: 105
    cbc410
    Did you ever get the DashCommand or another app to monitor your gas mileage?
    You had stated earlier that you get 28-32 MPG on the Highway but get poor city mileage on your short trips in hilly terrain. Sounds like that may just be normal.

Tonight I did a 21 mile round trip errand. Including my cold-start I averaged 31.0 MPG on the trip. Partly city, mostly highway, max cruising speed 62MPH.
    2.0FWD
  • coldnfrostycoldnfrosty Member Posts: 25
    Blue jeans stain from fairly new jeans is a given on light colored leather car seats. No way around it. Basic black or stone, and I preferred the lighter interior with the black tuxedo exterior.
    I understand with new jeans. Mine aren't new though. But I still kept an eye out- blue jean stains on light colored leather interiors isn't a Ford-only phenomena. We've had two other non-Fords that had the same situation occur.

I don't consider it defect with the materials, just something to watch out for, and take care of when you notice it.
    Ford Escape in the top 10 vehicle sales in Feb. I didn't realize they were selling that well. Here's the link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/in-pictures-the-10-best-selling-cars-of-february-201- 3.html
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    Imagine that, no Mazda's.

I couldn't resist...
    Escape: 24,210 in Feb 2013 and 44,048 YTD
    CX-5: 5451 in Feb 2013 and 16,695 YTD
  • frblfrbl Member Posts: 1
    The CX-5 is getting a lot of good reviews. The big bug-a-boo - and it is what kept it out of serious contention for my purchasing it - is the lack of power under the hood. My last two vehicles were anemic and I had to have something with at least a little pep this time. My Escape with the 1.6L suffices perfectly. Next year's CX-5 is supposed to offer an optional engine upgrade which might make it much more attractive to buyers and perhaps take away some Escape buyers. Who knows?
    I really like the Mazda CX-5 as well. The HP issue stopped me from buying one. IMO it's under powered. I think the bigger engine available on the 2014 CX-5 will help it pick up some sales. But I'm very pleased with my Titanium and don't regret not buying the Mazda.
    You are correct that they are all stamped out of the same die but what if the die is wrong? The dealer says maybe the hinges are wrong and is checking with ford. The tailgate is 3/8 or inch out of line. too much to make up for the size of the hole it fits in.
    I would like to hear from anyone who has a ford in dash defective gps that ford has fixed. I have been waiting for 3 weeks for ford engineers fix the problem, but no answer let.
    I would feel better if no one has a defective gps. At least I would know that i'm the only one.
    Lemon law states 3 attempt to repair a problem and one more chance by ford to repair the problem and you can apply for relief under the lemon law.
    My GPS frequently took 10-15 minutes to locate position. My dealer replaced the GPS unit, and now it locks in under a minute. He said they were on backorder, which led him to think that others had the problem and that they probably changed something in the new unit. I suggest having your dealer give it a try. As for the hatch, mine wasn't always latching. The dealer adjusted it and solved the problem, although I agree that it doesn't fit like it should. It binds against the bumper, and has left a scuff mark on the gray material of the bumper. I'm just happy it closes reliably -- the scuff mark is a minor cosmetic issue to me -- although I'm on the look out for a TSB to resolve this issue
    No scuff marks or figment issues here. Ours has exhibited the problem getting it to close, but just one time.
  • mike_zarnockmike_zarnock Member Posts: 2
    Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but any engine with a compression ratio above 10:1 runs into pre-ignition problems with 87 octane fuel. If you have a turbo charged engine with 10:1 comp ratio or higher you will blow the heads right off of it as soon as you start to build boost. The cylinder pressure climbs dramatically once the turbo spools up. The cylinder pressure is so high that it ignites the fuel as soon as it gets into the combustion chamber and doesn't wait for the ignition to ignite it. That's why "Turbo Charged" engines have low compression ratios. Oh, and the compression ratio never changes, cylinder pressure is constant. The 14:1 ratio you are reading about or seeing is the stoichiometric air fuel ratio, not compression ratio.
  • mike_zarnockmike_zarnock Member Posts: 2
    Sorry....
    I was replying to someones post that said the engine had to be at a static comp ratio of 13:1 to be economical and more stuff.... It must have ended up in the wrong place. At 13:1 you would need to run methanol for fuel instead of gasoline.
    Hey -- where'd message 605 go?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It was a Mercedes ML Prices Paid post; just got misplaced in here somehow.
    I've made a couple attempts to set up some x-gauges (gear ratio, cylinder head temp) using codes from linear-logic's site, but no success yet. How about u ?

My unit is 3.15(not the freshest software version), but the email reply from the scangauge folks is that it's probably not worth paying for an update, the vehicle might just not report this info.
    I use the DashComand sorftware with my iPad and an OBDII WiFi transmitter. I had to enter the gear ratio info from the Ford published specs.
    Temperature wise, I can read Ambient temp, Coolant temp, Intake temp and Catalyst temp. These are the 4-temps that come pre-programmed. Others may be possible, depending on what is available from the OBDII port.
    Not sure about Cylinder Head Temp.
    I mainly got mine for reading boost pressure, but I really enjoy looking at dozens of other variables available.
  • younghoonpyounghoonp Member Posts: 1
    Hello

I purchased 2013 ford Escape 1.6 Eco Booster but EXACTLY same issue with you. I dropped dealershop this morning but they said it is normal they have nothing to do.

Anybody has idea what can I to do for this issue?? :mad:
  • john364john364 Member Posts: 5
    Has any one had a problem where when shifting from Reverse to Drive that it doesn't want to engage immediately when you push the accelerator? It pauses for a couple of seconds and then lurches forward.

Thanks
    Yes, sometimes when backing out of my driveway and shifting from Reverse to Drive it takes a bit longer to engage Drive than expected. I always wait to hit the gas, until I feel that Drive is engaged, otherwise, you will feel the lurch when it does engage.
  • ghanshyamghanshyam Member Posts: 5
    Yes, I have too noticed that. I even find it the reverse camera guidance to be a bit slower than other cars.

Today, I saw one more thing, though not related to transmission. My reverse camera did not show the "Active + Fixed" mode which I keep usually enabled. This happened after I had shut down the engine while in drive mode. My ford touch seems to be a bit buggy in some areas.
    Ford has tried four times to fix my nav. The last fix by Ford did not change a thing. The car icon on the map will be three city blocks away from the street your on. This really confuses the nice lady that's giving you turn by turn directions because she thinks you have left the route when you have not. She gets confused trying to put you back on the route when you are the the route. ONLY FORD! Has anyone else had this problem?
    Escape sets monthly and quarterly sales records!

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/March13sales.pdf
    Not surprising. I'm seeing a lot more on the roads now, especially just in the last week or so. Initially most models I saw were higher trim SEL and Titaniums, but now it's mostly lower trims (though mostly Ecoboosts) that I see.
  • upnorth30328upnorth30328 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having an issue where I have a stain that looks like it was something that leaked from the headrest. It is orange and is on the back of the seat and not the cushion. It came out of nowhere. We don't have kids or even have passengers that much and it is in the back. I also have the light colored leather interior.
  • escapeismescapeism Member Posts: 39
    Do you have a Pano roof above it?
  • tvumbacatvumbaca Member Posts: 4
    I have this problem too. It happens when I go from Park to Reverse and Reverse to Drive. I'm taking it to the dealership to have them look at it.
  • tvumbacatvumbaca Member Posts: 4
    I have the SE trim and noticed that it is really hard to see and put the key in the ignition at night. Thought it was strange that there was no illumination around the ignition. Then I noticed today, with the daylight, that is looked like a part was missing around the ignition.
    So my question is, does anybody with an SE model have one of those illuminating rings around the ignition key hole?

Mine looks like there should be one there but it was ripped out.... Just want to confirm this with other Escape owners.
    no lighting on my SE ignition switch.

i'm conflicted about all these switches/paddles/levers.... on the steering wheel that obscure the view of the ignition and headlight switches, but I guess they are at least a little handy once I figured them out.
    Towed for the first time today. Only about 15 miles or 25km. 2.0, FWD. No problem with approx 1500lbs. 5x8 enclosed trailer. Drove from 50-65Mph. Pushed a strong headwind part of the time. Got 20 Mpg. Kept the transmission selector in "S" mode while accelerating and then manually controlled the top gear. Never let it go into 5th gear. Pulling onto highway, only needed about 3500 RPM during acceleration.
    I certainly knew I was pulling a trailer, but the vehicle never strained at any time. Generally very pleased.
    Also, after connecting the trailer lights and starting the engine, an information bulletin came up on the screen saying "Trailer connected, BLIS system is disabled". There was also an orange information icon on the dash, notifying me that the BLIS was disabled. Nice touch.
    I meant to say that I never let it go into 6th gear.
  • selescapeselescape Member Posts: 2
    Did you find out anything about the wind noise? I just purchased my 2013 SEL escape and noticed the wind noise also. Thanks.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,299
    What did you drive before the Escape?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    I drove a 2011 Taurus Limited before my 2013 Escape and the Escape is quieter.