Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Honda Accord

hp2009hp2009 Member Posts: 65
http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1079014

The following information regarding the 2013 Accord trim levels was reportedly sent to dealers on Friday.

This is the first month to order the 13M Accord sedan.

We are pleased to introduce the all new Accord sedan. For 13M the following trims will be available with these standard features.

13M Accord L4 Sedan Features

LX includes:

• Rearview camera
• 8 in. i-MID TFT screen
• Pandora
• SMS text messaging capability
• 16 in alloy wheels
• Body color door mirrors
• Chrome door handles
• Bluetooth HandsFreeLink
• USB
• Dual Zone Auto AC
• Auto on/off headlights
• Security Alarm

NEW Sport adds:

• 18 in Alloy Wheels
• 8-way power seat
• Fog Lights
• Dual Exhaust
• Decklid Spoiler
• Paddle Shifters

EX adds or replaces on Sport:

• Honda LaneWatch (Blind Spot display)
• Side mirrors with turn signal indicators
• 17 in Alloy Wheels
• Power Moonroof

EX-L adds or replaces features on EX:

• Leather trimmed seats
• Audio with touch screen
• Multi-angle rearview camera
• Forward Collision Warning
• Lane Departure Warning
• XM Radio
• Heated front seats
• Leather steering wheel
• Navigation option

13M Accord V6 Sedan Features

EX-L adds to L4 EX-L:

• LED Daytime Running Lights
• Homelink
• Dual Exhaust

NEW Touring:

• Includes all of the aforementioned EX-L features and some additional luxury car features

Comments

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Awesome level of equipment even on the LX. Wonder what the price will be...
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking to talk with anyone in the market right now for a new midsize car. If you fit this description and you’d like to talk with the reporter, please reach out to PR@edmunds.com with your preferred daytime contact info by the end of the day Friday, August 17, 2012.
  • albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    Production for engines and transmissions began this week and the Marysville assembly line will start building '13 Accords next week.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/08/2013_honda_accord_gets_news_- en.html#incart_river_default
  • sahondabuyersahondabuyer Member Posts: 11
    Any ideas on pricing? Do we expect the MSRP to stay the same.
    edited August 2012
    Probably an increase of $800-1000 on the LX?? Unknown at this time.

BUT--look at the things you get on the LX standard that you used to only get on the EX and above or couldn't get before:

dual zone climate control
    bluetooth
    back-up camera
    alloy wheels
    pandora radio
    all new engine and transmission and higher mpg
    ACE II body structure=state of the art safety
    etc., etc.

It'll be worth it even with an increase. In fact, if you include all of the new stuff it'll either be like no increase or even a price cut from the old msrp.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I know I am jumping into a lion's den and admittedly I hate Honda. Mainly because overall they are very dull. I even live about 20 miles from the Marysville plant. What is so new in the exterior design of the Accord. I have seen it on the news when they had a big deal the day they showed them being rolled off the assembly line. I saw it in the newspaper and now I have seen it in my latest CR that just came friday. It looks almost identical to the 2012 to me. If anything it took the exterior styling from the so called crossover the crosstour (Hatchback is what I call it). What I consider a redesign is the 2013 Ford Fusion or what they did to the Sorento, Optima, and Sonata back a few years ago. Don't mean to insult anyone. Just wondering.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • mkhojamkhoja Member Posts: 4
    completely agree with mtnman1, although I own an accord and pilot myself, I can be considered a Honda loving individual but as far as design goes for Honda vehicles I hate their conservative approach in redesigning new models. Look at the detail and you will see you are looking at a 2012 model. Even my 2006 Honda accord has same armrest and door pockets as in 2013 model. I wanted to update my old model with new one but looking at the pictures I think I will buy Nissan Altima 2013 which has been redesigned inside out.
    edited September 2012
    mtnman:

Does the all new 2012 BMW 3 series look that different from the 2011? No. It's subtly but substantially different. Esp. if you look closer at the details the 2012 BMW is different from the 2011, but it sticks with a classic design that has clear functional advantages.

It's the same with the Accord.

Look at the cars you compare the Accord to--Sonata, Optima, new Fusion, etc. Yes, they have swoopy "coupe-like" styling. And guess what--they have some of the disadvantages of a coupe, including poor rear visibility, compromised headroom, rear windows that only roll down halfway, etc., etc.

The 2013 Accord will have a rear seat that doesn't make the people sitting there second class. In other words, if you sit in the back seat of an Accord you have good headroom, you can roll down your window, good legroom, etc. Plus the driver can actually see out the back very well--just like in a BMW.

Think about it. And compare by actually sitting in the back seats and driving the cars that you admire, and then driving an Accord and seeing the difference. Those other cars are imho in several ways inferior to the Accord.

Honda also is tops in engineering and reliability. Do they sometimes have problems? Sure. But generally less than most other makes.

Esp. living close to the factory you might consider taking a factory tour. I think the way they make the Accord would impress you.
    edited September 2012
    mkhoja:

The 2013 Altima does seem pretty impressive. The mpg numbers certainly surprise. The Altima is rated 27 in the city and 38 in the hwy. That's better than last year's Sentra!

But I think the 2013 Accord will get about the same, or at least will get very close.

And check out the back seat of the Altima, which has tight rear headroom and windows that roll down only halfway.

The handling of the Altima is said to be good. But my guess is that Honda will be at least that good and maybe better.

You might want to consider waiting a few weeks for the 2013 Accord to come out and then test drive both. I'd be interested to hear your report!
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I have a Sister and Brother-In-Law that have owned numerous Hondas over the years including the Accord. Which by the way he traded in on a 2012 Sonata Limited back in April. I guess hell froze over. So needing to see the Honda's up close doesn't appeal to me. Plus we are not in the market for anything new right now. Just bought a new 2012 Highlander AWD Limited V6 back in May and own a 2009 Ford Fusion SEL V6 which I bought new in October 2008. Plan on keeping the Fusion another 4 years and the Highlander about 8 years. I guess I don't get Honda's new Ad campaign about the "totally redesigned Honda Accord". I don't see it. I think the Altima, Optima, and the new 2013 Fusion are by far more interesting. My '09 has been a great car and if I were in the market I would be heading straight to Ford in the Fall because it would be tops on my list. I don't like the Camry either, so I am not 100% loyal to any brand. In fact the Highlander is the first Toyota I have ever owned. Anyway, thanks for not tearing me a new one over my criticism of the Accord.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • seolbroseolbro Member Posts: 19
    Based on the official photo of the 4-door, the 2013 redesign looks goofy. Smiley-faced with an overbite. The proportions of the last generation Accord were not very svelte and I can't tell if they fixed this.

Perhaps the innards are so good you can overlook the design. We'll soon see.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I don't think I can take the CVT transmission. I like to feel those gears change.
  • ronbroredronbrored Member Posts: 4
    How much will sticker price be for 2013 vs 2012?
    Hasn't been released yet. Should be out in a few days. $700??? Just a guess. Don't know.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    For this interested - many pages:

http://www.hondanews.com/channels/honda-automobiles-accord-press-kit

- Ray
    Glutton for specs .....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Why would anyone "tear you a new one"?

You are entitled to your opinion. Hondas aren't for everyone.

Looks are so subjective. Anytime a model gets updated there are those who love the changes and others who wonder..." why did they mess up a good thing?"

And, with todays safety and MPG requirements it's pretty hard to change cars too much which is why they all tend to look alike anymore.

Same applies to colors. A color most people can't stand will be at the top of someone elses list.

As they say in the car business...

" There's a butt for every seat"
    edited September 2012
    I'm excited about this new Accord! Thinkin' about getting one.

It's getting very strong reviews, including this one from Car and Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-honda-accord-sedan-first-drive-review

And check out this video test drive of the sporty 6 cylinder Accord coupe. He says it compares well with his much more expensive sports car! Temple of VTEC!

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1094221
    from Inside Line (at the link at the top) of Edmunds.com:

http://www.insideline.com/honda/accord/2013/2013-honda-accord-vs-2012-toyota-cam- ry-comparison-test.html

"....Now the Honda Accord is back at the beginning, and it wins this test easily. As usual, it's the total package that makes this car special. The new four-cylinder engine and CVT work incredibly well together, providing usable performance and a real-world improvement in fuel consumption. Honda also improved the look and feel of the cabin, while adding the tech features that have become important in this class. In the midst of checking all those boxes, company executives didn't lose sight of details like handling and steering feel — key ingredients in the character of Accords past and present.

Next to the Accord, the 2012 Toyota Camry LE is down on flavor. It's every bit as useful as the Honda on the inside, but on the road, it's slower and wholly uninterested in doing anything other than taking you to work in comfort. For some, that's enough, especially given this LE model's competitive price tag.

But we'll pay a bit more for the 2013 Honda Accord's tastier brew. For the moment, it's the car to have in the four-cylinder midsize sedan class."

in other words (cue music)

CAR WARS

Episode IV

A NEW HOPE

It is a period of midsize car wars.
    Rebel Accords, striking from an Ohio
    base, have won their first victory
    against the Toyota Empire....
    or the summary....

1st Place: 2013 Honda Accord EX
    The Accord is once again the epitome of good taste in the four-cylinder midsize sedan class. It's quicker, more fuel-efficient and overall more enjoyable to drive than the Toyota, and it has a nicer cabin to boot.

2nd Place: 2012 Toyota Camry LE
    We won't stop you from buying a Camry, especially if you like a compliant ride. But its automatic transmission isn't as responsive as Honda's CVT, and its interior belongs to a lower income bracket.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    edited September 2012
    Completely agree the design is a flop.

It looks exactly like a 2011 Hyundai Azera. Yuck!

Front Azera view

Rear Azera view

Accord gallery
    edited September 2012
    I like the looks a lot, but whatever you think about the style, the new Accord has it where it counts with best in the midsize 4 cylinder class 0-60 time. Motor Trend clocked the Sport 6MT at 6.8 seconds 0-60. That model has a nice price of $23,390 + 790 dest.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1209_2013_honda_accord_first_test/spe- - cs.html
  • markitdownmarkitdown Member Posts: 8
    After being told by a few different dealers that they expected to have cars in their showrooms by the end of the is week (9-14), I was told today that it would be the end of the month. Has anybody seen one at a dealership yet?
    edited September 2012
    Some have already arrived! If you look on youtube for 2013 Accord and sort by date, you can find a few early bird dealers giving us a sneak peek at their first all-new 2013 Accords just after they get them. Here's an example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7YlMJugbes

Officially they can't sell them till Sept. 19th, and I think they'll stick with that. And supplies will be short for a while, as demand likely will exceed supply for a month or two as production ramps up....
    @benjaminh Thanks. I'm not sure of any that have received a 2013 in Louisiana. I know several expected them this week. It may be a case that they don't want to show the car until they can sell them. They don't seem to want to offer much information other than the trim levels.
    edited September 2012
    markitdown: You're welcome! Are you thinking of getting one? If so, which one? I think many dealers hide the new model in the back of their lots or under a cover on the showroom until it's really close to the Sept. 19th intro. But in any case we have less than a week to wait!

I'm thinking of getting one. As you can see in my post in midsize sedans 2.0, I'm considering a 2013 Accord Sedan EXL Navi in Basque Red Pearl with white leather interior. Looks sharp! Next is timing. I don't think I want to be in on the madness of the first couple of months. I'm hoping that by the end of November maybe I can score one at a bit less than msrp. But maybe I'll need to wait until the new calendar year sometime....That factory in Ohio that makes Accords can make up to 400,000 a year when it's going at full tilt, and so there should be plenty to go around in a few months.
    edited September 2012
    benjaminh: I am leaning towards getting an EX-L also. I have the same mindset regarding timing. I have a feeling dealers are going to be getting close to full sticker for about 6 weeks. I spoke with a dealer (not salesman) who said they would trickle in for a few weeks, but they expected to have good inventory as it will be a high production car.

BTW, a salesman called me today to tell me they are getting one in today. I hope to check it out today or tomorrow.
    I saw a truckload [ 10, maybe ? ] on 316 north and east of Atlanta this AM.
    Heading toward Atlanta.
    - Ray
    Just 1 data point.....
    2022 X3 M40i
    markitdown: Once you've seen it, I hope you'll give us a report!
    rayainsw: Good to hear that they are arriving on trucks and trains across the country. Are you thinking of getting one too?
    The V6 is currently on my short list....
    2022 X3 M40i
    Everything you want to know and probably quite a bit more than that:

http://www.netcarshow.com/honda/2013-accord/
  • accordereraccorderer Member Posts: 6
    One of the dealers in the area got in three today. 2 EX and 1 EX-L. They were just unloaded before I got there, this afternoon, and the dealer was prepping them up in the service dept.. I was able to take a test sit today and I hope to take a test drive tomorrow.

Some impressions: Fit and finish appear to be excellent. All gaps between body panels are the same and everything lines up, which I appreciate. Lots of little details. There's a small lip that runs along the bottom of the rear bumper that conceals two small reflector strips on either side. The door makes a solid "klump" sound as it closes. Nicely done rear lights.

The driver's seats are altogether different than the 2012 seats: more padding, supportive feel, and the hard lumbar lump is gone. When you do use the adjustable lumbar support in the 2013, it is soft and pliable. Basically, the seats are fixed.

The interior is upscale, almost glitzy. Although I can see it in the online photos, but in person, its more noticeable to me that the interior has some metallic detailing going on in the center console area. That's the glitzy part. The feeling inside is wide open and airy. The exterior has a classic, classy look.

The truck had a white LX that was going to another dealer. The LX had alloy wheels which look really sweet. They are different than the EX/EX-L wheels, but look great.

I hope to drive one tomorrow to see how the new engine tech, CVT and suspension come together to turn my commute into something I will look forward to.
    accorder: thanks for that great report. Sounds like an outstanding car.

We're eager to hear about your test drive! Give us a report when you can. what model are you thinking of getting?
    edited September 2012
    I drove the new accord, and It drives great. It's definitely a smooth transmission with responsive throttle. Like many of you, I was worried Honda would lose road feel by switching from the double wishbone suspension, but that is not the case. There was plenty of road feedback and crisp handling. The steering is a little soft, but sharper than the Altima or Camry. All of the materials and finish seemed high quality and well done, although I did not have time to study everything as much as I would have liked. The leather had a more European or Acura feel to it. It was impressive. I am going to drive it again in a couple of weeks and take my time. They had Silver, white, and Modern Steel Metallic. The Modern Steel Metallic is charcoal, but it has a little blue to lighten it slightly. Living in the south, I need a light color with light interior to cope with the heat so it will be Alabaster Silver Metallic, White Orchard Pearl, or Champagne Frost Pearl for me.
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for this review. Sounds very promising. I agree that from the pix the EXL models look like something from Acura or an upscale European make. Glad to hear that your in-person impressions confirm that.

PS Honda releases quite thorough information about all aspects of their new models, including separate essays and info about engines, body, chassis, interiors, etc. You can find them at the Honda corporate website:

http://www.hondanews.com/channels/honda-automobiles-accord
    edited September 2012
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/16/automobiles/autoreviews/accord-once-more-with-- - - - no-nonsense.html?ref=automobiles

"....The basic designs of midsize sedans are so similar that it’s tempting to lump them together and assume that each is as good as the others — just go with the one that has the most features you like. And almost all of the cars in this market segment are very good. But this new Accord is excellent."

First 2013 Accord Ad from Honda. Classy 1 minute 30 second tv ad with actual content:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avs6Au11L3A

For magazines, I wish Honda would go back to text ads like they had in the 1980s and 1990s. Back then they'd actually have a fair amount of text, and tell you briefly, but with a bit of detail, what was so great about their cars. These days they usually just have just a tiny bit of text that tells you almost nothing next to a huge picture of the car. But there are so many new things about this car—from the dash, to the engine and transmission, to the cameras, etc., that I think they should really sell it like this TV ad does in a way that respects our intelligence as consumers.
    edited September 2012
    I know we've just seen these new 2013 Accords trickle into showrooms, but be patient. There will be a plentiful supply shortly according to this article from Bloomberg. 6,000 cars are being manufactured per week.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-17/honda-makes-accords-at-record-pace-amid- - -midsize-car-fight.html

In my area, only 1 dealer has received a shipment of 6 Accords. The others are patiently waiting. I test drove the new accord along with every other midsize car on the market, and I think Honda is going to hit a home run with this car. I am going to wait 6 weeks for inventories to build and then pull the trigger. I am anxious to see what kind of deals people are getting. It's sometimes difficult to figure out the numbers on Edmunds because most buyers don't mention whether or not they traded a vehicle or if they received retail/wholesale for the trade.
    .. is now up on Honda's website.
    2022 X3 M40i
    2022 X3 M40i
    rayainsw: Many thanks. Good stuff. I'm thinking of the EXL Navi, but all of the models are very well equipped.
    edited September 2012
    markitdown: Yeah, I'm with you on waiting a little while until inventories go up and prices ease a little.

That's great that they are already up to making 6000 Accords a week. Probably in another month or two they'll be at 7000 a week. If they can make cars 50 weeks a year, that translates to Honda's annual sales goal for the new Accord of 350,000. And I think at full tilt that huge Ohio factory could actually make 8000 a week (or 400k a year) if the demand is there.

For calendar year 2013 there is going to be a real battle royale for midsize car customers, and all major players are building up their capacity.

I think Toyota can make 450k Camrys in KY
    Honda can probably make 400k Accords
    Nissan has said by 2013 they can make 400k+ Altimas
    Ford with a plant in Mexico and one in Michigan can probably make 400k Fusions
    Hyundai is going to around the clock production in Alabama, and might be able to make 300k Sonatas.

Even though the midsize segment is huge, and growing faster than the rest of the market, I doubt there are enough customers for all of these cars.

And so my guess is that even by December of this year, and certainly by sometime in early 2013, prices will likely ease a bit even for Honda Accords.

But Honda has clearly made their best Accord ever, and has also tried to top pretty much every player in the market with this car. It will command a small premium over most other cars in the segment, and deservedly so imho...
    I know it's corny, but I like this ad. It worked for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3dr8XFQr4k
  • owned3hondasowned3hondas Member Posts: 41
    for the naysayers out there the 2013 accord is the best put out on the market in quite sometime. The Nissan Altima is junk and so is the Sonata. The Sonata does not even have a four-cylinder and will fall apart at about 80,000 miles. I drove and took home a 2012 Camry Se four-cylinder and I have to tell you the fit and finish was horrible the interior was cheap wth rubber or some kind of plastic on the doors and on the outside near the fog lights was a very cheap black plastic that will fade in about one year.just not the fit and finish of the Honda. The Camry drove okay but was nothing special. Can't wait to drive the 2013 accord and hopefully trade in my current car.
  • rich27514rich27514 Member Posts: 41
    I won't get in to disputing your opinions, as they are just that. However, I will correct a factual error. The Sonata does indeed have a four and also a turbo 4. Maybe you meant to say it doesn't have a six which is true.

I have looked at the new Accords and it looks like Honda has done an excellent job with it. But the Sonata, Camry, and Altima are also very nice cars. They just each have different strengths. (These are my opinions, but various reviews do back them up, in general.)
    Initial impressions: Good job, Honda!
    The car: EX-L V6.
    I found the ride smooth on most surfaces, though highway concrete slab seams and similar short, sharp bumps are both heard and felt. Doubt it would be an issue for most. It is certainly quieter than the last few Honda sedans I have driven - even with the moonroof in the vent position, as I typically drive, all year round. I found it to feel agile and responsive. The electric steering felt fine, to me.
    The V6 is smooth and certainly has enough grunt – and combined with the 34 MPG highway EPA rating, is an impressive engine- again [ still ]. The new 6-speed transmission generally works well,
    I found the seats and driving position quite comfortable – and had no issue with the headrest. NVH was well under control. [ I had the stereo turned off the whole drive. ] The big horizontal bar graph of instant MPG in the center of the speedometer I find useless.
    One oddity noticed – several times, on a winding back road, the LDW yellow light in the dash [ accompanied by a warning chime ] displayed. Although I and the salesperson both saw this as LOW [ suspecting a PDI oversight = low tire pressure…. ]
    I certainly hope this is something that can be permanently turned off??
    For me, it was annoying, distracting & NOT helpful!
    The other issue, for me is how Honda groups equipment and color offerings for the 2013. I would really prefer the EX-L equipment level [ minimum to have the V6 and 6-speed automatic], but without the LDW, the Blindspot camera and the Backup camera – for example.
    Also, the Sedan is simply not available with the V6 and the paddle shifters. I have come to use the paddle shifter on my current coupe a lot – I enjoy the extra measure of control they offer. It would be very difficult for me to give up that aspect. The paddles shifters are only available on the 4 cylinder CVT Sport Sedan. Not even available on the ‘range topping’ V6 Touring Sedan. According to online information, the Coupe V6 does offer the paddle shifters – but most every exterior color offered on the Coupe comes only with a black interior. Not something I prefer, very impractical here near Hotlanta.
    My ideal Honda seems unlikely to be assembled anytime soon.
    [ EX-L V6 Automatic Sedan , paddle shifters, blue or red exterior, gray interior. ]
    [ sigh ]
    - Ray
    I do like the car, quite a lot, but . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    ray: Thanks for the good report! Yeah, I hope the LDW can be turned off too. Let us know if you find out about that.
  • stealth916stealth916 Member Posts: 2
    I have been the original owner of many Honda vehicles, and I currently have four of them in the garage including a 2005 V6 EXL Sedan.

My Accord has 125,000+ one owner miles. I have been starting to get the itch to replace it, so I was waiting to see what the new generation Accord would be like before I did anything.

I am a very hands on driver. For me, the reports of shoddy electric steering and the lack of direct control over the 6-speed auto, are non starters. There is no circumstance I buy this car unless those two things are remedied.

Beyond that, the styling of the stock 17" rims is horrid - too many spokes. Perhaps they are fuel efficient, but so are moon caps and no one uses those anymore. You don't get into a decent looking factory wheel option unless you go 18", which for me is not worth the added expense near term or long term.

Sorry Honda - I may be one of your biggest fans and I have been enamored with your work for decades, but this sedan is a no-go. You got rid of the bug-eyed headlights that kept me from buying previous generations, and finally gave it the 6-speed auto we always wanted, but you effectively preclude us from interacting with the transmission in any way beyond selecting forward or backwards?

E P I C - F A I L
    edited September 2012
    The reports that I've read say that the electric power steering is pretty good on this Accord. And where are you going to find hydraulic steering today anyway on a midsize car? That is simply not available as far as I know. All manufacturers have phased it out for mpg reasons.

Why not test drive the Sport model with the 18" wheels and paddle shifters? You've read reports, but that's not the same as driving the car yourself. Yes, it's a CVT, but it's supposed to be a near revolutionary CVT that shifts a little like a regular auto. Or maybe you should try the best-in-class 6 speed manual?

I don't think you can really say whether you liked it or not or whether it failed or not until you drive it yourself. But if you do, hope you'll come back and give us your report with all of the good points and not-so-good points about the car.