Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Honda Accord

Comments

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited September 2012
    5 Cool Things About the New 2013 Accord

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2012/09/five-cool-things-about-the-new-- - 2013-honda-accord.html#more

Here's part of the story:

"....The manual transmission. Say what you will about Honda’s fall from enthusiast-driver grace, but one signal Honda’s serious again is the availability of 6-speed manual transmissions for both the 2.4-liter 4-cylinder (185 hp/181 pound-feet and 189 horses for the Accord Sport trim) and the snarly single-cam 3.5-liter V6 (278 hp) in the Accord Coupe when it launches Oct. 19.

That’s an honest-to-goodness 3-pedal manual; don’t go looking for one of those in the Nissan Altima or Hyundai Sonata and we figure given the general direction of the family-sedan market, it would’ve been all too easy for Honda to go all-automatic, too. The 6-speed manual is standard for all 4-cylinder versions of the 2013 Accord sedan and coupe. And we’ll throw this in for what it’s worth: Honda’s all-new automatic for all 4-cylinder Accords is a continuously variable job. But before you cringe, Honda’s CVT is, as of this moment, the best of the breed. It quasi-mimics shift points and imparts a decidedly more agreeable perception of engine speed and acceleration building in tandem.

2. The chassis. Don’t blubber about losing its double-wishbone front suspension (even though ditching same for the Civic indeed was a mistake): the new Accord handles a little. Rides great, too.

Credit a couple of new components. First, a special non-contact torque sensor for the electric power steering may sound arcane, but it does seem to have added a better degree of response – we’re not saying feel – to the Accord’s power steering. Even the current-best EPS out there can struggle to replicate the kind of response to steering input that decades of hydraulic power steering conditioned us all to expect.

Second, the 2013 Accord’s got serious front dampers. With an eye toward minimizing body roll and, the front dampers have an internal rebound spring and optimized fluid and valving. Besides impressive body control for the new Accord, what’s the takeaway from this shock talk? Expensive – Honda made a costly choice to help improve the Accord’s handling and ride. Although nobody’s saying it straight out, this basically is the shock Honda uses for many Acura applications...."
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    You make claims here that you can not possibly back up. What do you base your remarks on? You spout things that can not be proven. The only truth here is that you don't like the cars you've mentioned. You bought the Camry so obviously you liked it. If the Altima is such...junk as you call it, why are they selling so well? 80,000 miles and a Sonata will fall apart? Dude...are you kidding here?

It's obvious that Honda needed to do something really big here as the current model is so plain. I wish Honda well with the new Accord...I like Honda products and own one.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• thomasr1950thomasr1950 Member Posts: 76
    What are dealers selling the Accord EX-L Touring for?
  • van123van123 Member Posts: 14
    Drove a 2013 EX yesterday. The CVT was not noticeable in the least. The car responds when you step on the gas, just like a normal transmission. The steering was light in the parking lot and firm on the road. Very comfortable seat especially with the power adjustments.
    Thinking of buying one soon. Dealer will give us 20200 for 2010 Odyssey. Looking to downsize and get better gas mileage.
    Kudos to Honda for stepping up their game and building a car that's ahead of the rest! :)
  • tldtld Member Posts: 37
    I sat in a EX-L this weekend and noticed the LDW Lane Departure Warning can be turned off from a button on the left side of the dash below the ECO button. There appears to be another button, possible traction or stability control right next to it.

The interior was very nice but I'm not sure how well the leather door armrests would hold up to long term wear. I like the seats in the Sport model as they looked durable and didn't have the fuzzy look of the LX and EX. The texture reminded me of a GTI.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    I am aware of that button. Thanks.
    For me, the key is, as I stated
    'I certainly hope this is something that can be permanently turned off??'
    I can't imagine having to turn this off
    every time I started the car.
    It was really quite annoying ...
    - Ray
    Waiting for the Coupes to arrive at the Dealer.......
    2022 X3 M40i
  • stealth916stealth916 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2012
    If they put paddle shifters on the V6 Sedan, I'd probably be a buyer. If the 4 cylinder had 270HP you'd have point. The 6 speed manual is not available on the V6 Sedan or I'd be a buyer. Instead, they gave the V6 Sedan the lamest transmission interaction ever. They are completely out of their minds. I'm sure it is about as fun as driving a golf cart.
    My reading of the .pdf owners manual suggests that the LDW is not ‘on by default’ – and can simply be left off, if the driver so desires.

As opposed to the VSA – a.k.a. Stability Control:

‘VSA® is turned on every time you start the
    engine, even if you turned it off the last time
    you drove the vehicle.’

- Ray
    Happy with this arrangement . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • faischivofaischivo Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2012
    I4 very nice ride ,exl v6 fantastic ride plenty of power ,wanna have fun in family car,
    well go no farther this honda is for you.Put the v6 in sport mode and your off ,,love this car
    waited long enough for it.honda did a great job. dont forget this car was made the masses
    not just for you .dont like the tires ,do an upgrade .whatever.
    I own an 03 accord great car treated me good .put my order in two days ago for the exl v6 with navi
    got a fantastic deal. your gonna love it to.
    Thanks for this report! Congrats! I'm surprised that you got much off of list, but if you're willing please share your deal with us...
    edited September 2012
    bottom line thomas,,look the salsman in the eyes and tell them you will pay invoce that includes destination,and be ready to sign the papers and money down.....they want to move as many as possible ..even at that price they can pay their bills .. make money,,And have a happy costumer.
  • tpbctpbc Member Posts: 13
    What was the invoice price that you paid for the V-6 EX Accord and is Honda offering 0% financing on the 2013 Accord?
    I don't think there will be much in the way of discounted financing on the all-new 2013 Accord for a few months. Maybe by Nov. or Dec. they'll offer 3.9??? Don't know....But they'll certainly want to be moving a lot these.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    edited September 2012
    ref: 65 (car loans)
    Join PFCU for $15 online (open to anyone)
    Current rate is 1.49% for up to 60 months (good credit obviously)
    who needs AHFC (or is it HFS)
    edited September 2012
    invoice= $ 29,326 + $ 790 destination = I paid $ 30,116

thats exl v6 with navi. plus 8.875% tax. NY.will kill you with taxes
    no o% on the 2013 ,thats the price I started at , and with my trade 2003 , I4 ex leather sedan. They gave me clean value , on top of that they threw in 2 years honda roadside +oil +bodyside molding,and splash guard set. hell Iwas thinking low ball here ,but another dealer offered the same price . but not with all the goodies I got.. iam a happy customer. waiting for my baby...........
    Where did you find the invoice price?
    Last I checked, it was not on Edmunds or KBB...
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Curious.
    2022 X3 M40i
    I see that Invoice is now on Edmunds....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    Acura TL base model can be had for $30K...
    edmumds,, but i would think that dealer cost is much lower, paying edmunds invoice price is a good deal ....
    edited September 2012
    Is that a 2013 TL model ?? sounds good ..
    Theres a slight problem here i dont want a TL.
    Good car but iam buying a honda. Good information for TL buyers though..
    edited September 2012
    When you buy the car they give you a sheet with all the safety features .
    You go down the list and ck off what you want or not ex. If you dont want ( lanewatch show with turn signal ) you can ck it off, ( fcw ), (fuel efficiency back light ) ( lane watch reference lines on or off ) you decide etc. etc.
    HEY if you need and depend on ( lanewatch reference lines ) your better off just giving your keys away, If it lights up you won't notice, so don't drive at all. It wont help..
  • springmanspringman Member Posts: 5
    I picked up a Sport model and I do buy Honda's about every other car I buy. I grow tired of their
    extraction techniques and how they feel insulted when you have the nerve to try to get a fair price.

That aside, the new Accord is really an economy priced car for what you get.
    So I don't mind not getting every dollar off and they tried to make up for it with free oil changes.

For the money even if you had to pay retail the Sport is a great deal.
    Honda needs now to address and isolate road and wind noise to Buick- Lexus standards and then they will be my go to car regardless of the Honda sales BS.
  • springmanspringman Member Posts: 5
    Owning a Sport model it looks anything but goofy.
    Maybe an 8 series BMW grafted to a Maxima
    Best Accord ever and the Sport is fantastic. Economy car fuel economy and big car space and ride. I'm no fan of Hondas antics but this is a nice ride. No not the greatest ride but for the price- a nice car. In black it looks great.
  • okaniokani Member Posts: 20
    Yes, I like that all models have a backup camera now, BIG PLUS!
    I own 09 Accord EX-L 3.5L, sticker was promising 29MPG on a highway, it was not only me who couldn't get it, but others as well, i.e. profesional drivers/mechanics. The best you can do is 24.5mpg on a highway with that car. Remember, I'm not saying anything about 4 cylinder models, it is only about 6 cylinder cars. The other negative is that squeling braking pads? Did they fix it? I had to go with akebono pads + rotors, since they warped just at 15K miles. What about OEM tires? On 09 models they were horrible, when going to bridge's ramps I had a feeling that car will jump out of the tires, had to be replaced as well. My car had 225/50R17, I bought 235/50R17 - that increased overall tires on 4cm - gave me great grip and handling, but caused reduced MPG, now I see that 2013 accords are coming with 215/50R17, not sure you'll feel comfortable making turns, getting on a bridge ramps for U-turns and having short brakes. All new cars are coming highly anticipated, but they also come with tons of problems. I like my accord, except I don't like it's mpg even though I had to invest into tires and brake pads/rotors. I would assume folks will need to invest in 225/50R17 tires to feel that car won't sway when making turns, etc. I want this car, now a 4 cylinder model though, love the fact that it comes with standard rearview camera, but will wait for real reviews about tires, brakes, and whatever comes with it.
  • cashibatacashibata Member Posts: 8
    Got a good deal at invoice but to let all you know, you can still do better. They already are discounting them. We were towards the end of the month last month even below invoice.
  • carguy2121carguy2121 Member Posts: 3
    I thought I would chime in here. I have owned the ex v6 with navi for 4 days now and it is just awesome. I cannot say anything is bad with the car. When you put it in "s" the car is like a rocket. I have driven most of the competition and they do not stand even close to this car. The seat sucks you in and I have to say the leather has come a long way. All of the warnings can be turned off. But I am getting used to it and it actually helps you be a better driver. black on black
  • buyabuya Member Posts: 74
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, but how do you get that price. Guess I walked around with a sucker name tag on. I was quoted <$3000 over that and then +TTL just yesterday and the salesman said he gave me a really good deal. Think I've to start looking for a horse and buggy if those salesmen keep trying to sell me cars based on MSRP.
    edited October 2012
    yes you can i got bodyside molding ,splash gaurd set and 2 year oil change ,like i said before,, they want to move them out fast,had mine for a week now, what a hell of a car.......... exl v6 with navi..
    Good review. Now I can print this and show my bro that I don't want an Accord! Why can't the the Accord be a SUV? Not CRV. Want CT200h or Outback or even MINI if I can drive manual. Never learned that, too hard. I watch this forum so I know what's the lowest price to pay for the 2013 Accord. Thinking base model, pay least and trade in 2-3 yrs.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Sandman, it's been awhile! (I haven't been active on the forums in a couple of years, but wanted to say hello!).

I must say, I traded my 06 Accord after some niggling issues (CD Changer died, MPGs took a 10mpg drop with no explanation). I loved how the car drove.

I drove my 96 Accord until it was totaled last year; an 18 Wheeler side-swiped me at 70MPH on I-65 south of Birmingham. 235k miles and my first car bit the dust with that hit.
    All of that said, I currently have an '09 Sonata GLS V6 that I have 90,700 miles on. I'm averaging 30mpg in my heavily highway commute (as high as 32mpg and as low as 29mpg depending on habits/traffic). It's been a good car, one that I'll probably drive for another year. That being said, I do miss the handling dynamics of my Honda, but enjoy the quiet ride and features that, at the time, were standard on the Hyundai and not available on the Honda for the price I was willing to pay (Auto On/Off Headlamps, USB Audio, Manumatic Function with V6 Power).

It appears I may have to take a look at the new Accord. I'd not buy a first year model, but would wait for a 2014. It looks promising!

TheGraduate
    2009 Sonata GLS V6
    edited October 2012
    Sounds like you want a G37 coupe in a sedan ,well this Honda is a family sedan .
    That rides like a hot rod, great on gas and yes it feels great taking the turns so much so it will ask for more gas .Had mine for over a week exl v6 with navi .
    Nothing but pure joy, Honda did a fantastic job. Comfort ,ride, and as a family sedan handels great, ,brakes are good no noise ,I cant say a bad thing about this car and it comes with all the goodies .Test drive it ,,,I think you will like it.
    I went to try both 2012 and 2013 EX-L I4, they don't have HomeLink on EX-L anymore - strange, I still park my car in garage and don't want to use remote garage opener, but let me describe test driving experience.
    2013 model has bigger trunk, more leg room for a 2nd row, narrower driver's seat - but men, seat are more softer and comfortable vs what I have. Now, introduced CVT transmission - for some it makes great sound, for me bad noise, I did try to accelerate from full stop and the amount of "noise" this car was producing was not proportional to the acceleration it was making, unlike 2012 model, you can feel how you're picking up and all that without that noise that 2013 produces. My goal is to spend less on gas, so by being spoiled on 09 EX-L V6 it is a hard thing to achieve with 2013 model vs 2012. This is something I'll be considering now, because it will be harder to join highways, some folks will think that there is a woman or some beginner because you'll need to wait for highway to free up in order to get on it, and that great sound will become a noise even for those who like this sound today. The other thing that is not improved is the turning diameter, it makes me back up in places where other midsize sedan can do a turn. I'll wait till end of the year may be to get that car anyways, I just wanted to give some information that could be usefull for others. I'll post my pricing in Brooklyn where some dealer with Plaza name on it offers 2013 EX-L I4 for 27K+TTL. I hope you can do better.
  • teejayvamteejayvam Member Posts: 3
    If you got a 2013 Accord for below invoice consider yourself blessed! LOL!
    Well, I am sorry to hear about the gas mileage you are attaining in your current 2009 V6. As you may know the 2013 Honda Accord V6 gets 34 mpg highway with the "earth dreams" V6 and that is not including the Econ button. That's the same highway gas mileage the current 2012 Honda Accord I4. With the Econ button activated you can possibly attain highway mileage in the 36-38 range driving conservatively. So, because you may not like the "noise" the 2013 Accord I4 produces - look into the V6. You might be pleasantly surprised.
    Yes the LDW can be turned off, and no you wont have to turn it back off when restarting the vehicle. Hope this helps!
    Yes, my reading of the .pdf manual
    suggests that is true.
    - Ray
    Now waiting for the Coupes to start arriving
    at dealers - Oct 15th, I hear...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    edited October 2012
    Took my parents to test drive both Sport, which has CVT with paddle shifters and EX-L V6 with 6 speed auto tonight.

Exterior -
    Both my dad and I feel Sport is the best looking 2013 Accord sedan out there.

Transmission -
    I noticed that both CVT and 6 speed auto has only D(rive) and S(port), which means without paddle shifters, you cannot shift gears yourself.

Test drive conditions -
    We have 4 ppl on the car for both test drives. The test drive route consists of a 20 minute drive with good long uphill and downhill with some turns (even a decent sharp turn) that you might encounter in some mountain pass.

EX-L V6 -
    The ride was pretty good and quiet but I dont like the new 6 speed auto a bit. You have to step on the gas pedal at least mid way of the pedal travel (how far the pedal travel is my guess and I dont like how the gas pedal has to travel that much) in order to force it to downshift to pick up speed. I mean this car has 278 hp and 252 ft-lb of torque :surprise: But, once it downshifts, it picks up speed pretty quick and it shifts very smoothly. In S mode, the response is faster but did not do much comparison, so not sure how much quicker. Did not do a WOT from dead stop, but it picks up speed pretty seamless on the uphill, so I have to say that computer is doing a pretty good jobs on picking right gear. On the way back to dealership, going downhill, on a left turn, I turned the car a little bit too late while just entering the turn, so I turned a bit more to correct the car, then ESC came on, which I think it is a little bit early. Safety first, so that is not a bad thing :)

The steering feel was good. The effort was just about right for me and it was pretty responsive. From limited drive, it feels like new Accord is hunkered down more during the turns.

Sport -
    Sport has CVT with paddle shifters and 18" wheel. I like the new CVT a lot, it feels very much like regular auto in terms of the pedal travel and speed, no delay or I did not notice it when you try to pick up speed either from dead stop or when you drive around town. When using paddle shifters (you have to be in S(port) mode to use them), the transmission defaults to 1st gear when you come to a stop. Tried to pick up speed in D on uphill and it picks up speed pretty quick.

Now, what I like Sport trim is that paddle shifter. I did use paddle shifter to pass a car on uphill, switch to S mode and it was already in 3rd, so I had no issue to pass. Did not hold the gear to see if it will be up to redline. I suspect it will not, but with redline at 6,800 rpm, that should be enough from engine to get the job done.

The ride is a little bumpy according to my parents when compared to EX- L V6, which has 17" wheel. The only thing I don't like about Sport is that 18" wheel as the ride is not going to be as good as 17" wheel then, the replacement cost for new set of tires is twice of 17" ..........

Overall, if you dont need those features that higher trims offer, I would recommend either Sport or EX (4 cylinders). Standard features on those cars are pretty impressive. Too bad Honda does not make paddle shifters as a options on all the trims.

If I dont need 4 doors, I would go for either Couple LX-S or EX.

Good job, Honda, I am sold on your new Sport trim..............
    Did you test drive the XL? At different dealership, I test driven the XL automatic, and both cars vibrate and almost like wobbling when I try to increase speed. Because hp on the Sport was only 4 more than base and nothing else is different as told, there's no reason for me to test drive it. The V6 is a smoother ride, but still it's lacking something. I might test drive the V6 again. BTW, anyone knows how the Accord V6 compares to an Acura TL? Thanks.
    Correction on the paddle shifters as I did check the Honda press release info about it not told by sales with us last night. Now, it all makes sense now.

Steering-Wheel Mounted Paddle Shifters
    Whether in D or S mode, special transmission logic programming allows the use of the steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters, which are standard on the Sport (CVT) trim of the Accord Sedan and all CVT equipped Accord Coupes. When the driver operates the steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters while in Drive, the transmission responds to the driver's shift command by selecting one of the available seven fixed ratios, and then returns to its normal fully automatic Drive mode if further paddle shift inputs are not made within a short time. This special logic makes it easy for the driver to command a quick downshift without leaving the convenience of Drive mode.

When in S mode, use of the paddle shifters puts the transmission into full manual mode that remains until another mode of operation is selected with the console-mounted shifter. The paddle shifters allow the driver to select among seven fixed gear ratios. When in manual mode, if the engine redline is reached the Accord will automatically shift to the next gear ratio to avoid engine damage. It will also shift down to an appropriate lower gear ratio if necessary.
    They only had Sport and EX-L with Navi, so no I did not get a chance to test drive XL (?), I assume you mean LX.
    LX is the base model and it has 16" wheel while Sport has 18" wheel, front shock tower bar and paddle shifters, a must have for CVT, and rest of the trims has 17" wheel.
    Not sure about vibration that you are talking about. Are you talking about torque steering under WOT?
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    has anyone purchased 2013 accord for invoice or below yet in the new york or new jersey area please share dealership and state you got deal in.... tks

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

I was offered 27K for 2013 EX-L which is $600 above invoice, I haven't bought because my trade-in was low and I didn't agree on a price, but I know you can push them below than that. Try to get internet quote first, that's how I did - they called me back instantly and the guy told me over the phone that the model I'm asking is around $27K on a floow, next day other guy called - offered $27600, when I got on a floor sales rep started with MSRP + 600 prep fee + 350 advertisement fee, and I'm a returning customer, they honored phone quote for $27K + tax, I believe you can do better, it is in Brooklyn and has a word Plaza in it's name. Edmund doesn't allow to publish full dealer names. That was last Monday.
    I've had two great cars from this factory in Ohio, and I'm planning on buying a third. Interesting stuff. It's about 7 minutes long:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBluTaWjPIU
    edited October 2012
    Hey all ,well as you know when I first posted around 9/28/12 about my 013 accord v6+navi its been a hell of a great ride, One problem ,when i picked up the car the options where not installed . So like a gentleman I waited. After calling the dealership and no response back for 5 days (( One thing I dont like no respect after spending hard earned money )) I called honda customer service. Well they gave the dealership a call ,and wella I got a phone call. Options where in stock and installed .I have to say honda customer service was great. They even mailed me 3 coupon letters for 3 free oil and filter changes .Gotta luv those guys keep posting about your 013 honda Ill Keep you up to date tks..
    I toke a look see Ben it was pretty cool ........
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Great video...I want a new Accord!!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Just got my new Accord the other day, still learning the new technology so i have a few questions. On the RDS while using the Navi can you set the radio display to show the artitist & song? Also when using Aha & Pandora with a mobile phone does it work thru the phone? I'm assuming if it does it requires using a data plan on the phone. Just curious because i don't have a unlimited data plan. So far this is a amazing car, so much technology, i'm learning more each day.
    edited October 2012
    Hey hey ,,so you got the car congrats,,btw. which one did you get ?
    Heck got mine close to a month now and still learning dont have time, having to much fun driving. :) Better ask some tech savvy people about aha and pandora. Me I put in all my cds' and I'am gone. Well tc. and have fun with the new accord .
    Looks like from what i read it requires using your mobile phones data. I just switched from a Everything Data with Sprint to Verizon w/1gb. Oh well, still have XM, that will do.
    well i got my blue tooth working setting other things' up but still not done and yes i have a data plan 2 gig its plenty .phone soundes great through the car.
    hey i'am likeing everything................