Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Ford Escape Gas Mileage

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    I was trying back up what you posted. With over 44k Escapes sold in the first 2 month of this year, there are a few less owners than that posting here about lower than expected fuel mileage. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • labrylaolabrylao Member Posts: 1
    I bought the new ford escape 2013, on dec 30th. I have been babying the pedal to the point I have been sworn at for not hitting the gas at the light. And coasting to turns. And I still in the city (with no hills but lots of lights) am getting only 20mpg. I have noticed that the tachometer sometimes even when coasting at 40 mpg I am at 2200 rpm...not sure what to do to make this any better.. One of the most important s things I wanted in my new vehicle was good mpg. I had a 2004 Toyota rav4 and was getting 22mpg even with it being 9 yrs old. I used to get 24-25. Wishing now I had just had my rav painted....
  • automelon48automelon48 Member Posts: 105
    I am still holding steady at 24.3 MPG combined average after 19 tanks. 2.0 FWD
    However, I have recently started testing my fuel at the stations I have been using, and I have found them all to be Ethanol free in both the 87 and 91 octanes I have used. I have not seen any marked fuel efficiency difference between the two octane ratings.
    I have identified a station nearby that sells 94 octane which I tested the other day as having 7.5% Ethanol in the mix. I will try that or perhaps some 10% if I can find it.
    I don't know if it will make much difference, but I have seen on some F150 Ecoboost forums, some owners claim a significant difference. I will only believe it when I test it myself.
    If the difference is a few % then big deal. If the difference is more significant, then it may help explain some of the challenges that some are experiencing.
    I will let you what I find.
    Which engine do you have? FWD or AWD? How many miles on the odometer? do you live in a cold climate?
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Let's see what people really think about the MPGs after the honeymoon is over. I wasn't aware that the 44k Escape buyers were mandated to come to come to the Edmunds Escape Forum, let alone know that this forum even exists!?!?!?!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Plenty of other sites have owners reporting mpg numbers, including the EPA and fuelly.com. Lots more reports would help though.
  • mbb21mbb21 Member Posts: 7
    I own a 2013 Escape Titanium 4wd with around 4,300 miles on it. I am in Miami, FL, flat as can be with mild to hot temperatures. Last tank of gas I filled up with Shell midgrade gas. I also own and use a GoPoint BT1 bluetooth OBD reader paired with an iPhone 5 using Dashcommand software. Most of my driving is in city, not during rush hours. Here are the numbers based on two typical trips(#1/#2) that I measured;

Avg. MPG 20.5/20.5
    Distance – 11.9/9.9 miles
    Avg no idle speed – 28/28 mph
    Avg with idle speed – 19/20 mph
    Max speed – 48/48 mph
    Fuel Flow avg – 0.8/0.8 galph
    Fuel Flow max – 4.8/4.8 galph

My driving style was extremely conservative, making sure to avoid turbo boost if possible during the trips and as you can see the vehicle is delivering pretty close to the EPA city number, which for this configuration is 21/28. I still have not taken a long all highway trip in order to measure those numbers. I will publish them once I do.

So, does Ford deliver what it says? In a way, yes, but the way you have to drive the car in order to make the numbers sure takes away from the fun that driving this vehicle brings when you step on it. I guess we can’t have the best of all worlds in one package just yet. I still think the car is a blast, fun to drive car.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    " ...So, does Ford deliver what it says? In a way, yes, but the way you have to drive the car in order to make the numbers sure takes away from the fun that driving this vehicle brings when you step on it. I guess we can’t have the best of all worlds in one package just yet. ..."

Ford had the best of both. The Escape Hybrid 2005-2012 has both power and excellent fuel economy (especially city). It was more expensive on the initial purchase, but other than that it is a great vehicle.

I suppose Ford could have put a hybrid option in the 2013, but I suspect they chose to use the batteries for the C-max.
  • evorkerrevorkerr Member Posts: 1
    well sorry to inform you but the EPA does not use 100% gasoline when they do there testing they use a liquid called indolene. cause it has a research octane of 96.5 and if you do the math for research octane + motor octane divided by 2 it has a octane rating of 92.25.
    Also just about every grade of octane gas on the market contains 10% ethanol unless the gas retailer chooses not to include it in the formula with the other fuel additives.
    evorkerr; You are right, the EPA does use indolene, but that is just a name that they give their specially made test gasoline that contains no additives. So loosely, it could be called 100% "gasoline", especially when it is compared to what we get at the pumps. Yes, it does have a pump octane number around 92.

I think the reason for the discussion, is to understand that the EPA uses one type of fuel for their testing (as would Ford, and then it goes on the window sticker) and we need to use something different. Perhaps these Ecoboosts are more sensitive to fuel additives, such as Ethanol. We here on the forum don't know for sure, but it is a discussion point. With some owners seeing very good mileage and others are struggling, despite their best efforts, MAYBE fuel is playing a partial role in this. I have the luxury of finding pretty much any kind of fuel I want to where I live, so I am doing my own tests to see if I can add anything on that front.
    I have started testing the fuel at my local stations, just so i know what I am putting in the tank.

When the sticker at the pump says that the fuel "may contain up to 10% Ethanol" then it would be good to know. Is it 0%, or 10% or ???
    The numbers can sometimes fluctuate depending on the season, the region, the availability etc.
    If in fact, some Ecoboost owners are suffering because of what fuel is available locally, then Ford can't control that. That becomes an EPA test standards issue. Ford needs to follow EPA rules which call out indolene as the test fuel.
    Hopefully we will figure it out.
    If the fuel and its additives make little to no difference, then this whole conversation becomes a moot point. :)
    "Ford Motor Co. global marketing chief Jim Farley on Wednesday said the auto maker will pay up to $50,000 in prize money for the best mobile or Internet applications that help drivers track their vehicle's fuel-economy and encourage them to share fuel-savings tips.

The auto maker's move comes on the heels of a rash of complaints that some of its vehicles don't deliver the mileage promised by the tests dictated by the federal government. A Department of Energy run website, fueleconomy.gov, lets drivers submit real-world mileage, but contributions are voluntary.

Ford isn't alone in its frustration over the variation between real-world fuel efficiency, rival manufacturers' testing and the Environmental Protection Agency estimates that companies are compelled to cite in their advertising."

Car Makers Try to Tackle Inaccuracies Measuring MPG (WSJ)
  • ghanshyamghanshyam Member Posts: 5
    Very good information indeed! I assume such a gauge cannot be installed by a layman. Is there a recommended one? Just trying to understand the cost/effort involved to get this setup if I want to.
    While not automated, there are a number of gauges that are commercially available. I use a ScanGuage 2 for my hybrid.

The Ford initiative is intended to create a phone app that would actually interpret the data that is read by a device like a SG2.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Well, I'm sorta old school. I recommend reading the posts since yours and mine..see automelon's posts for sure about using electronics now to sorta accomplish what the mechanical gauge does and more. He used an App combined with a smart phone and some Wifi wireless tech that plugs into, I think, the OBDII port on your car. The costs of about 100. if you already have a smartphone or iPad 9 (I don't) are about the same as the one mechanical gauge and might be probably a little tidier..certainly an easier install and seems to have a LOT more (instant apparently) info besides vacuum. I am very tempted to get one of what he has myself, except that I don't have the other electronics that most people do so for me it is a lot more expensive proposition. If you too tho, don't have the latest electro stuff that the vast majority of Americans seem to have on the street, then just ask at your local Indy shop for a quote to install a simple vacuum gauge. Hopefully there are some nice small ones available that you can tuck outta the way and not look too outta place, yet easy to see at a glance. My old gauge came out of an old RV and it's the size of a softball..so I have never installed it in my CRV, but then I do sorta know my car quite well and how to exploit whatever FE it will give me. It too is not great...I just checked it the other day while updating my records and see that my overall average over 12000 miles and 5 years worth of 4 seasons each year (in temps of -35¼F to 98+) is 29.73 miles/Imp gal..so only 24.77 mi/US gal. IOW's..not very good considering how I drive it. I drive quite gentle on a 50 mph 2 lane road into town once a month, 16 miles one way and a few miles of stoplights in town. Occasionally I do freeway work and down into Toronto. Usually set the cruise on those trips at anywhere from 60 to 65 mph. Always use A/C in the summer, June to Sept, and always use and need the AWD capability in the winter. Sometimes I tow a small trailer with lumber or whatever..always under 1000 lb.
    Also in the summer i (usually daily) drive on a trip that is 6 miles one way..very hilly terrain..so only less than 10 min trip on a 35 mph road, but at least in summer temps car gets right up to temp after only 1 mile. Car is a manual tranny too, and while one aspect of it having fewer parasitic losses than the auto, it also has a lot lower final drive gearing so way higher rpm's than your Escapes here on the forum. As an example, here are some rpm/speeds:
    2000 rpm = 43.4 mph (70 kph)
    2250 = 50 (80)
    2500 = 55 (90)
    2750 = 60 (96.6)
    2800 = 62.14 (100)

3000 = 65.2 mph (105kph)

I think 75 mph is around 3500 to 3600 revs, if i recall.

Note that my usual speed is always under 60 mph and most commonly is 50 - 55. See my rpms at 50?
    You guys in the Escape are probably doing 65 - 70 mph at 2250 or so..

So that has pulled my average down quite a bit.

I always air my tires at about 30-32 fr and rr. OEM says 26 psi fr and rr for a soft ride. I'd rather have the fuel mileage.

Most of trips are quite long..as in not just to the corner store, so my warmups during winter get a full warm up. I am a retired heavy truck driver so I know how to drive to get fuel economy and have lived with having to be patient in traffic and anticipate lights and other traffic around me for quite a few million miles. Sometimes I do really let the CRV rip on a pretty quiet back road and get quite aggressive with it. Burning the carbon off if you like. Sometimes I let it idle to warm up in the winter if there is a half inch of sleet rather than chop away at the windshield. I also will idle it with A/C on in town if need be while I am doing paperwork if I have to. IOW's, my average above is very real-world, but with a distinct bias towards pretty gentle, smooth driving with light progressive tranny shifts and rarely a quick start from stop. Most times I do not have a trailer of course, and rarely have a passenger unless the GF goes with me in my car when we go out, but usually take hers. I do have about 100-150 lb of tools in the car always though, so sort of like having a driver and one passenger with nothing else but a spare tire in it.

I have kept records like this for basically most of vehicles including my bikes (I actually do more miles in a year on the bike than the car) hence the low 12000 miles in 5 years driving above).

When I see fuel miles per gallon average..it just doesn't get any better than than your average in over years and years and seasons and seasons of use till you buy your next car.

For comparisons...but don't hold me to these numbers as I would have to check to be certain, but a couple random examples... FE (in Imperial so 20 % bigger than the US gallon) over life of ownership:

05 CRV AWD stick - 29.73 so far..(24.77 mi/US gal)
    87 Pathfinder - an E model, with the very very rare 4 cylinder stick, 4x4 of course but no A/C - 24.3 mpg
    03 Matrix AWD 1.8 4 cyl/auto - 33.7 mpg - what a pig on fuel they are when you go AWD..terrible gearing for the size engine, and restrictive exhaust routing etc on the Corolla 1.8 litre which always left the car feeling strangulated.

What I have found over the years, is it is important to fine the sweet spot, with your car. Where I live, the sweet spot will often render you a ticket so you putt around knowing that maybe 5 -10 more mph might give you better mpg but not worth the ticket.
    The sweet spot will involve your torque output and hp and gearing, combined with (for the most part) the vehicle load, which mostly includes passengers and/or A/C use. I find that with A/C on in the CRV and the way it is geared, it actually seems to get better mpg at 68 mph than at 55. it really depends on so many factors though.. If you drive 68 by yourself, you will not get as good as if you drive 68 in and around a number of big trucks beside you and whatnot. Their draft will pull you along a fair bit. I certainly am not advocating hanging around trucks..just saying that if your usual commute involves a bunch of tailgaters, but if they flow fairly smoothly for an hour at a time without much brake light use, your mileage could actually be better than if you were a lone car on the road fighting that headwind all on your own.
  • pdawg1pdawg1 Member Posts: 22
    Great info, this is what we need to move the needle of of complaints to solving the problem.............
    For the money, I would lean towards something electronic like the ultra-guage or DashCommand or the others that have been mentioned. The cost is similar if not even a bit lower for the electronic stuff and it gives you dozens of variables to look at instead of just one. Installation is as simple as plugging in a connector. I have removed the door that normally covers the OBDII port on my Escape, because I keep my reader plugged in all the time.
    I can't speak for the ultra-guage, but for $60 or $70 it looks decent. Check for reviews on the web.
    Great information again! And yes, you do have lots of patience :). I know I have missed lots of posts in between but I will try to look at some posts which you have indicated.

Yes the wifi based smartphone app seems promising. I will check it out.
    Good, this is more then just one of the information which I can look at. But I am still confused. I would need a physical OBDII port connector/device which tranmits via wifi to a software app in a smartphone? I do have a smartphone and had installed a free OBDII code app but this app DashCommand is extensive I guess. Is there a similar one using Bluetooth instead of wifi?
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    I received my Ultra Gauge today. I plugged it in to set it up, get the required info for the rebate and checked out some of the default screens. I will do a complete set up tomorrow with customized screens, first I had to print the manual. The most difficult part so far has been getting to the rebate page, what a pain. I wonder if they make it so difficult so folks won't bother and they pocket another $9.00.
    Start counting - it'll probably be 6 to 8 weeks before the rebate gets "processed" if it's like most of them. I've just about given up on buying stuff that offers a rebate.

After filling out the rebate, setting up the screens will be a piece of cake. :shades:
    edited March 2013
    From everything I have read, if you use an iPad (like I do) or iPhone, then you must get the info using WiFi. If you use an android, then Bluetooth will work.
    I went on-line and found someone local who sells a unit exactly like this one on Amazon. link title
    I have now purchased 3 of these, one for myself and 2 for friends as gifts. (again, I bought them locally, not from Amazon, but looks exactly the same)
    We all use them with iPads and the system works great.
    You can buy whatever WiFi dongle you want. The DashCommand App works great. I have used it on many trips to monitor fuel mileage and engine function.

Have a look at their Youtube demo. link titleThere are even more variables and screens than what they show in their Youtube video. Maybe I will do my own video. It's much easier than putting it all into words.
    edited March 2013
    Yesterday I received my Ultra-Gauge and had a chance to set it up this morning and run some errands. I'm still learning it, but a couple of things I noticed is the turbo goes into boost more often than I thought. It's usually in the negative psi range when cruising on the highway or city streets with light throttle pressure, but I was surprised to see it jump up to +1 to +2 psi when applying even slightly more throttle or climbing slight inclines. It's not much, but still some turbo boost which affects mileage. The average mpg's were very close between my UG and the dash reading, with the UG updating more frequently and reading slightly less than the dash most often. The instantaneous mpg's is really interesting. It was as low as 4-6 mpg's at take off and as high as 39 while cruising on the inter city freeway with a steady throttle when the average was reading 26.4. I have a lot to learn about the gauge and how I can use it to improve my mileage. I still don't fully understand intake manifold pressure and the optimal percentage to achieve the best fuel economy. I read that 14.7% manifold pressure is equal to atmospheric pressure and the number that maximizes fuel efficiency and I came closest to that number on acceleration rather than at cruising speed. If anyone can enlighten me on this it will be greatly appreciated.
    I would not worry too much about the Manifold Pressure. Basically the higher the pressure, the more the turbo is being used. Obviously the turbo has to kick in sometimes, especially climbing a hill.
    Remember that this is only a 1.6 or 2.0L engine pushing a 3600+Lb vehicle up a hill or against a head-wind at less than 2000 RPM's in many cases, so it needs some boost to make up for the engine size. Don't sweat that.
    It's just good to be aware of how much boost you (or your cruise control) is asking for, and perhaps you can change your habits a bit, based on your new knowledge.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    edited March 2013
    Interesting read. Also, I agree with what automelon said after your post.

I am tempted to order the UG also. It doesn't require a smartphone or any other tech or does it? Does it just plug into my OBDII and work? If so, that is definitely my best option. The one thing I like about it over the Dashcommand (even though potential info is a lot more limited compared to what is available with the other set-up) pics I saw, was I think it has larger numerals which with my ailing eyesight in close quarters I think would be easier for me to see.

Where did you order it, or was that link from the mfgr..I forget..What was the price at the door? I know I'll be into a premium over that ordering it from Cda. Especially if they ship via courier as opposed to USPS. I have had surprise brokerage fees from the likes of UPS as much as 9 months later. Had a $93. brokerage charge on $500. item once. I have heard of worse dollar ratios tho too...seems to me one guy ordered a bike part that was under $40. and he ended up getting nailed something like 70 extra bucks after the fact. UPS and FedEx (altho UPS are easily the WORST) are nothing but crooks if something's going from the US to Cda. They really nail ya :(
    You have to order directly from the UltraGauge web site. It doesn't require any support other than the ODB II port. I don't know about shipping to Canada, but it was $8.51 for 2-3 day shipping from Texas to Minnesota via USPS. Along with the gauge, I purchased the vertical mount, which I wish I hadn't because the next day I ordered the windshield mount for $9.85 plus another $8.51 shipping. It's a nice unit (that's what she said ;) ) for half the price of the Scangauge. It may not have every option the Scangauge does, but it suits my needs.
    I read some more on manifold pressure and vacuum pressure. It seems the MP is related to the barometric pressure and not the same as vacuum. The UG does not have a display for vacuum pressure. I changed my page 1 to show: Avg MPG, instantaneous MPG, intake manifold absolute pressure, barometric pressure (inHg), boost pressure, torque/ft lbs., throttle position and one other I don't recall. I loaded all 7 pages with info.
    Sounds like you have lots of good information all on one page. Nice!
    If you are reading boost pressure, does that number go "negative" when you are not on boost? If so, then use that as your vacuum pressure.
    Sounds like you made a good buy and are going to get lots of good use out of it.
    As with any new gadget, I can't leave it alone. My new page 1 is:
    Avg MPG, Instantaneous MPG
    Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure, Barometric Pressure
    Torque, Horsepower, % Engine Load, Boost psi

Yes, when not in boost it reads a negative number. I was looking at the Scangauge web site and it also does not have a vacuum reading. So it seems, the two devices are pretty much identical, except price.
    "You have to order directly from the UltraGauge web site. It doesn't require any support other than the ODB II port. I don't know about shipping to Canada, but it was $8.51 for 2-3 day shipping from Texas to Minnesota via USPS. Along with the gauge, I purchased the vertical mount, which I wish I hadn't because the next day I ordered the windshield mount for $9.85 plus another $8.51 shipping. It's a nice unit (that's what she said ) for half the price of the Scangauge. It may not have every option the Scangauge does, but it suits my needs. "

The scanguage can do a lot more than just the pre-packaged inputs. There are people on the web who have programmed it to read even the advanced vehicle output that is normally only read by Ford service programs. The SG is fully programmable. I personally have programmed the AWD on/off % reading into mine. I've not tried out the ultraguage, and I don't know if it is programmable.

For general use, I think the Ultraguage might be a better buy, though.
  • badgerfan79badgerfan79 Member Posts: 2
    I have probably spent 40 hours researching the mileage of the 2013 Escape 2.0L Ecoboost. I was torn between the GMC Terrian/Chevy Equinox and the Escape, but I need to haul a small boat so the 4 cyl. GM products were not going to work for me and I heard about the atrocious mileage the GM V6s are getting. So, although I saw some questionable posts online about the mileage of the Ecoboost Escapes, I bought one, anyway.

I was very underwhelmed by the MPGs on this vehicle, initially. I was averaging 25 on the highway, and roughly 22 in town. I was getting frustrated, but I knew the car wasn't properly "broken in." Yet, I was driving like I had an eggshell underneath the gas pedal and I was even experimenting with ethanol-free fuels and higher octane gas. Still, the mileage didn't change much.

And then something magical happened....I hit 5,000 on the odometer. I live in West Michigan and drove to Appleton, Wisconsin for Easter this past weekend. I averaged about 74 in Michigan, 65 in Illnois, and 69 in Wisconsin, and my mileage over that trip?

29.6! This is what the computer calculated. Based on the pump, I calculated 29.7

To be sure, this made me a very happy man. On the way back, I was a little more aggressive and drove a bit faster and my mileage "dropped" to a very respectable 28.4 (and I was doing darn near 80 for 2 hours in Michigan).

My advice for any Ecoboost Escape owners is to just give this engine time before hitting the panic button. My father-in-law has had a Terrain for roughly the same amount of time as me. He only has the 4 banger and he is only getting 29 on the highway! And he said the car is a "dog." There is no other domestic small SUV on the market with comparable power and efficiency. My grandfather has an equinox with the V6 and he is "lucky" to get 22 on the interstate.
  • johnnyumajohnnyuma Member Posts: 54
    Great report! I also live in MI (SW part of the state). We picked up our vehicle in late Oct and have about 7500 miles on our AWD Titanium. It's hard for me to say that I saw an improvement right around 5000 miles because we were on a FL vacation. We drove 2600 miles from MI to FL and back and averaged 27 MPG on the trip (combined city/hwy). Our best mileage was cruising the FL panhandle (31 MPG - great weather that day doing about 50 - 60 MPH). The rest of the miles were all in cold/snowy MI. Overall our mileage is 24.7 MPG (combined city/hwy - hand calculated). Mileage should certainly improve this summer.
  • badgerfan79badgerfan79 Member Posts: 2
    That's great, especially for AWD. Mine is FWD (sorry, I forgot to mention that). Another great point is the weather. I'm sure the fact that the temps were in the 40's and 50's didn't hurt as opposed to the frigid temps in the beginning of the year. Either way, I really love this car. I've got MORE than enough power to pass the sloke poke on a country road yet I can still cruise at 70 and get good gas mileage. Now, I just hope this engine is durable...time will tell on that one
    edited April 2013
    I've been using my Ultra-Gauge for a few days now and have kept it on the avg. mpg, instantaneous mpg, boost %, mph, rpm's and throttle position screen (I changed my primary screen for a third, or forth, or fifth time, I don't remember). A couple of observations so far, the analog speedometer and the digital read out are identical. Using the gauge to improve my mileage and really, these are pretty obvious, but it's interesting to see what numbers the car is generating, don't use the cruise control unless you're driving across West Texas. It's amazing how easily and frequently the car goes into deceleration fuel shut-off and when you can feather the gas, rather than have the cruise keep it at a steady speed it helps with mileage. Anytime I take my foot off the accelerator, even for a second, the fuel cut off activates, sending my instant mpg's to 45, 55, 65... mpg's and finally 999.9 when no fuel is flowing.
    Most of the time the boost percentage is in the negative range, but with moderate acceleration it raises to 1-3% boost, getting on the freeway it is 6-8% and hitting passing gear on the freeway, 10-13% boost, I don't believe I've seen it go higher than that. If anything, it has shown me how sensitive the car is to changes in speed, throttle use, mpg's and how driving technique can improve mileage. I have yet to concentrate on the other pages I've set up, all in good time.
  • wistrodwistrod Member Posts: 14
    You confirm my suspicions, not every 2.0L is built the same. I passed 5,000 more than 200 miles ago, and I am still only getting around 20 city and 24 highway (and that's with mid-grad file and still driving it like I'm on eggshells). Congrats to you, but unfortunately (speaking for myself) not all 2.0L owners are happy campers. And don't even get me started on all of the squeaks, squeals, and other assorted noises coming from the seat brackets and various other internal components of this vehicle. If someone would offer me what I paid for this vehicle, less a reasonable sum for depreciation, I'd unload it tomorrow!
  • usa1fanusa1fan Member Posts: 68
    edited April 2013
    I have to agree about seat squeaks. That's going on the checkup list for my next dealer visit. My fuel economy is squarely in the I'm happy range, still, though. 55mph everywhere on this tank (mostly non interstates) and it is reading 29.5 at the moment, with around 1/3 tank of gas left. I anticipate the hand-calculated value to be close to 28 than 29 when I fill up, but it has surprised me on a previous high DIC readout, where it said 29.1 and my hand number was 29.5.

Still haven't been able to break 30 mpg though, and my overall is just 25.2 indicated by the DIC (so anywhere between 24 and 26 if I stay skeptical of the DICs accuracy).
  • dizneydizney Member Posts: 19
    Still getting 35 -38 mpg hwy with Fwd 1.6L !
    Just bought Weathertech front floor mats.
    What a perfect fit laser! Now my left foot won't wear out the rug on the hump as its now covered!
    Interesting that the Escape mats also fit the Cmax same floor design .
    The DIC read 29.0, but I calculated 30.3 mpg. Feeling good about what that might mean for even later in the spring. :)
    Just took an all highway trip, interstate speeds 75+, temps in the 60's, 2.0 4WD, 23.5 after 180 miles, not good or acceptable. Still waiting and reporting and hoping for a Ford fix............
  • sbro2sbro2 Member Posts: 1
    Latest tank for my 2.0 4WD reads 19.8. 4150 total miles since October, overall mpg of 19.7. Very disappointed......
    I think this forum needs to split off from the 1.6 vehicles and the 2WD vehicles as they are not experiencing the same results........input??
    "I think this forum needs to split off from the 1.6 vehicles and the 2WD vehicles as they are not experiencing the same results........input?? "

I personally think that it should be a single forum, so that people can research all engine types and MPG in one place.
    pdawg1, I don't know the 4WD system, as I have a 2.0FWD. Does the 4WD kick in at all on the highway? Perhaps when you are boosting to go up a hill or accelerating? Just a thought. I would be interested to hear back from anyone with a 4WD on this topic. (leaving a traffic light as well ?)

On the trip you reported, it may be as simple as speed. ( I am not trying to lecture, but just reporting the science)
    Since your vehicle configuration is rated 28MPG on the highway, you can expect less than that at "75+" Mph. How much? If you Google "Speed vs fuel economy" you will get all the answers you want. (or don't want)
    From some quick research, I found that a vehicle that gets 28Mpg at 65 Mph should get 23.4 Mpg at 75 Mph. That same vehicle should get 30.4 Mpg at 55 Mph. Obviously there are many other factors, but just straight wind resistance will yield numbers like this.
    If you put your info monitor on settings and then to Intelligent 4WD you will see lights on the two front tires and I am guessing, have not tried yet, if 4WD is kicked in, the rear wheel lights will come on. My speed was 78, just to keep with traffic and the posted speed is 75. All my vehicles before this one would get fairly good mileage cruising at 75. That said they were Toyota's with bigger engines but not the power...........will be patient to see if Ford addresses mileage considering the number of unhappy owners on this issue.........
    Wow. Those numbers are really consistent with my results. Btw, pdawg, my Escape is a 2.0 4WD, not a 1.6 FWD. granted, I don't see anything near 36mpg with mine either. :P
    Good find. Those of us old enough to remember the Arab Oil Embargo remember Congress mandating Interstate speed limits of 55 MPH to save fuel. Here's an article's from a few years ago that shows why:

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/09/tested-speed-vs-fuel-economy.html
    Interesting to see Mercury Mountaineer 4.6-liter V8 and other V6's getting so much better mpg than my 2013 2.0T 4WD escape. Mine is struggling to get even 18 for 175 miles (60% around 55MPH) I drove when I got this car.

And what is this "engine set in" that everyone talks about? Is there any good article that I can read?
    Here is what it states in the Owner's Guide:
    BREAKING-IN
    You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 miles (480 kilometers). During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics.
    Avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 miles (1600 kilometers). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine.
    Do not tow during the first 1000 miles (1600 kilometers).

And as a reminder to some:
    ECONOMICAL DRIVING
    Fuel economy is affected by several things such as how you drive, the conditions you drive under and how you maintain your vehicle.
    There are some things to keep in mind that may improve your fuel economy:
    • Accelerate and slow down in a smooth, moderate fashion.
    • Drive at steady speeds without stopping.
    • Anticipate stops; slowing down may eliminate the need to stop.
    • Combine errands and minimize stop-and-go driving.
    • Close the windows for high-speed driving.
    • Drive at reasonable speeds (traveling at 55 mph [88 km/h] uses 15% less fuel than traveling at 65 mph [105 km/h]).
    • Keep the tires properly inflated and use only the recommended size.
    • Use the recommended engine oil.
    • Perform all regularly scheduled maintenance.
    There are also some things you may not want to do because they may reduce your fuel economy:
    • Sudden accelerations or hard accelerations.
    • Rev the engine before turning it off.
    • Idle for periods longer than one minute.
    • Warm up your vehicle on cold mornings.
    • Use the air conditioner or front defroster.
    • Use the speed control in hilly terrain.
    • Rest your foot on the brake pedal while driving.
    • Drive a heavily loaded vehicle or tow a trailer.
    • Carry unnecessary weight (approximately 1 mpg [0.4 km/L] is lost for every 400 lb [180 kg] of weight carried).
    • Add particular accessories to your vehicle (e.g. bug deflectors, rollbars/light bars, running boards, ski racks).
    • Drive with the wheels out of alignment.
    I was surprised by the Mountaineer MPGs. I had a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer V6 4WD (purchased new) and the EPA highway rating was 19 MPG. The best MPGs we ever got was 20 MPG cruising about 50 MPH. The best on the Interstate cruising 65 - 70 MPH was 17 - 18 MPG. Maybe the Mountaineer referenced in the article was FWD.

Your mileage @55 MPH of 18 MPG is very low. What were the weather conditions? Flatlands or hills/mountains? Was the other 40 per cent city driving?
    I suggest checking this again. Fill up get on a road where you can drive 55 MPH for a significant distance (maybe a 100 miles) and fill up again. Calculate your MPG.

By comparison I was able to cruise the FL panhandle at 50 - 60 MPH and got 31 MPG (I have a Titanium AWD). I had great weather about 65 - 70 degrees and a very calm day (little to no wind).

I'm not familiar with the term engine "engine set in." The Escape owners manual references a 3000 mile breakin period before checking MPGs. Also do
    the MPG calculation manually and not rely on the digital indicator. Weather can make a big difference.
    edited April 2013
    I used the calculator found on this page. link title
    It says to enter your vehicles Highway MPG.
    What I did, was enter a value in that box that would yield the EPA Highway mileage at 65MPH.
    So for example (for the 2.0 AWD 28MPG Hwy EPA) I entered 30.4 as the highway MPG. This calculates to 28MPG at 65Mph, 23.4 MPG at 75 Mph and 30.4 at 55Mph. This method shoud reflect reasonably accurate results, given that the EPA testing is not done at 55Mph, but a combination of speeds and criteria.
    Try it for your configuration to see what you get. The 1.6FWD at 33MPG EPA calculates to 36MPG at 55Mph. That's exactly what dizney gets.

I am not a 55Mph driver myself, but I do find these types of calculators interesting, to help set my expectations for the speed that I do drive.
    Thanks. I'm aware of the link. I know my actuals (31 MPG cruising the FL panhandle @55 MPH and 24 - 25 MPG cruising I-94 in MI on a cold day). I'm waiting for summer blend gas and warm weather to see what I get in MI. All the numbers I post are hand calculated not the indicator. Overall I'm at 24.7 MPG.