Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Fusion Hybrid

b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202
edited January 2014 in Ford
I have had my 2013 Fusion Hybrid for five days now and I love it. My first trip of 200+ miles got 32 mpg. My second yesterday of 400+ got 34.4 mpg. Both were at speeds of 70-75 mph 80% of the time. It appears the mpg gets better the more I drive it. I don't expect to ever get 47 mpg. I just don't drive that way. I'll be very happy if it settles into 40mpg.
Mine is White Platinum with Dune interior, Luxury and Technology packages, luxury wheels, navigation and moonroof. Most convenience features can be programmed to how you want them. MyFord Touch has been very easy to use so far. I traded in my loaded 9 1/2 year old Chrysler Pacifica (which was very good to me). Since I'm now getting twice the gas mileage, I love driving my Fusion everywhere. My friends think I have purchased a BMW when they first see it.

Comments

• ajr1775ajr1775 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for the info....I'm currently debating between this or the 2.0 Titanium. Can you update what you are in getting in city on this?
  • b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202
    The Titanium was never one of my options since I think the car looks so much better with the Dune interior. We're in a small town so there are not a lot of "city" miles. Currently I have a ten mile commute to work that gets 33 mpg in the morning (I think due to cold weather) and 40 mpg in the evening. I first drive to a restaurant for breakfast. The one mile drive to work from there has been all electric and registered 79.3 mpg this morning. I may just drive around town this weekend for 15 minutes and see what mileage I get.
    I highly recommend the Hybrid over the 2.0 Titanium. I feel the only things I didn't get are the Sony stero and the ambiant lighting (which I really wanted!). The economy and the quietness of the hybrid more than makes up for this. Below is the full review I did for Edmunds tonight before I had to edit it for their space restrictions:
    ---------------
    I’ve never hit a home run or flown first class, but I feel like I have now. I’ve had my Fusion Hybrid for a week now and have put 680 miles on it. I really couldn’t be happier. I think I would have to spend $25,000+ more to get a car that would provide me with more satisfaction. But then, I’d feel guilty for spending too much money.
    Mine is White Platinum and Dune interior, which I feel add a more opulent feel. Along with the Moonroof and the Luxury and Technology packages, I feel the Luxury Wheels are well worth the extra cost, and put my vehicle at $33,436. I have been mistaken for driving a BMW twice so far. I did not get any of the Driver Assist options. With the mirrors adjusted correctly and the rear view camera, there are no blind spots, and no false alarms.
    I didn’t buy my Fusion expecting to get the official 47 mpg. I don’t drive the way it takes to get that. The engine gets increasingly better mpg. I currently get 40 mpg on my 10 mile daily commute, which is mostly at 65-70 mph. The Fusion Hybrid will entice even the most stubborn driver (like me) to drive more efficiently and safely. My lifetime mileage is now at 35.4 mpg since I had two long trips with a lot of 75 mph time, but I’m confident it will be pushing 40 a few weeks from now. I’ll be very happy with that. To me, it’s not worth it to get an extra 7 mpg if 19 out of 20 cars are going to be passing me.
    Some professional reviewers complained about sensitive brakes. I think it is a non-issue. The brakes are great, along with the steering. MyFord Touch and Sync have been very easy to use so far. Most convenience features, like door Autolock, can be customized easily to the driver’s preferences. If you don’t like a feature, turn it off. The only thing I would like to see changed so far is that when you tap the Direction Indicator Lever, it flashes the turn lights three times for a lane change. I think they should flash seven times. I was going to complain about how difficult the fuel filler door is to open, but last night I discovered that you push it to open it.
    This is my first time driving a Hybrid, and I’m hooked. Ford has made my transition so easy. Up to now, I was one of those who always said “I wouldn’t be caught dead in a Prius”.
    I just took the time to do a city test. Some stop and go and speeds of 30-40 mph. I went a total of 9.7 miles that included retracing my path so that climbs and descents balanced out. I am now a true believer.......53.2 mpg. When I ended the battery still had 2/3 of its charge.
    I am amazed by the brakes. You should find that you will make your smoothest stops ever. The only thing I'm missing is the Ambient Lighting. Please Ford, make this available in the non-Titanium Fusions.
  • moviefanmoviefan Member Posts: 21
    Hi

Thanks for the informative write-up. I test drove a ginger-ale colored hybrid the other day for 3+ hours. My average mpg was 28.3 (and climbing). The salesperson told me it was never re-set and I believed her because in one of my short trips (after turning car off and on) I averaged 45.2 mpg. I didn't care for the wider center console but I think it's something I can get used to. One thing that bothered me though was that "ledge" on the floor in front of the driver's seat. It's about a half-inch high, three or four inches deep and runs the width of the seat. I sometimes bend my left leg and let my foot rest up on the floor against the seat and with that ledge there makes it impossible to do so. Just a little thing I'm used to doing on my Camry.

Are you saying the Dune interior isn't available on the Titanium? I think it is. Black or Dune. I am leaning black leather on the tri-coat white one I want to get. But I've seen the Dune and it's very nice. I am torn. The dune will probably be much cooler in the Chicago summers here.

I personally am going to order the Titanium Hybrid in the near future. They're not due out until early next year but I think you can order them now. They come standard with the Sony dual sub-woofer, twelve speaker sound system (which I heard in the normal Titanium and it sounds unbelievable), moon roof and rear spoiler; just to name a few things. The rear spoiler is not available on the existing hybrid (if you go with the 504A package that is). You can get the best of all worlds on the Titanium Hybrid. Not crazy about the wheel choices though.

Can I ask how much you paid relative to the sticker price? What was the total with all your upgrades on paper and what was your out the door price? If you don't mind telling me, that is. I don't have a clue of what to expect to pay. I signed up with Car Quote dot com and there's only one dealer in my area who is affiliated with them, but supposedly they have to sell you the car for just $300 over invoice and any upgrades at invoice. So that's why I asked--if around dealer's invoice (or less) is possible or if people are paying sticker because the car is so damn popular already.
    The give and take on the Fusion options is a little frustrating. A black interior was not an option for me (the only option for the Titanium) but even if Dune was available, I wouldn't have chosen the Titanium since I had a self imposed 34K limit. The three options I gave up with this decision are the Sony system, the rear spoiler and ambient lighting. The spoiler looks nice, but it would become the most difficult part of the car to clean. I'm very happy with the sound of my audio in the SE, so I don't feel cheated. The ambient lighting I miss after seeing it in a Taurus a year ago.
    I do feel the SE's Luxry wheels do look better than the Titanium options. I know this is just personal preference, but I think the Dune color makes the interior look bigger and more opulent. I just feel much more comfortable in it. And with the floors still being black, you don't have to worry about them getting dirty as much.
    Moviefan, you must be over 6' 2" for that ledge (a major structural member that is well padded) to be a problem with seating position you described. I'm a hair under 6' and can bend my knee as far as is comfortable and still have my foot in front of the ledge. I don't think this would be a deal killer for you, anyway.
    The MSRP for my SE was $33,865 and I got $500 off that. Three other people wanted the car and I wasn't going to haggle over price. The fact that I can be writing this now made this worth it to me. My dealership is in Woodland Hills in So. California (where you always see the latest cars) and I was very pleased that they let an outsider (although I grew up within 8 miles) from over 200 miles away buy their first Hybrid. I can't say enough about how well I was treated by Vista Ford.
    The following are the optional settings that have worked best for me. Of course, others may prefer something different:
    1. Make sure the MyFord Touch is set to display the time and not the date. For the Rear View Camera, activate the Delay option, which keeps the picture displayed until you go forward to 5 mph.
    2. For the left information display, I recommend that all the functions under My View in the Display Mode be activated, then set the Mode to Engage. This gives you all the information you need for efficient driving and braking, and makes the Green Leaves redundant, so that you can use that display for Audio and other info.
    3. In the Settings Mode under Driver Assist, make sure ECO Cruise is off and the EV+ Mode in on. Under Vehicle, turn the Easy Entry/Exit on. For Autolamp Delay, I set it to Zero. When you open the door, one of the front lights is dimmed anyway so there is no need to have the full headlight on (virtually the entire ground is illuminated 360 around the car when you open the door). I turn the Autolock Off and keep the Autounlock on. The Manual talks about Autorelock, but this is in the system as Mislock, which relocks the doors after 45 seconds if a door isn't opened. This should definitely be turned off. I also definitely prefer to have all doors unlock with the first push of the remote, and this is set under Remote Locking. Under Display, both the Brake Coach and Lifetime Summary should be selected on.
    Sounds like you're very happy with it. I hope I will be too. Yes, I'm around 6'1. I see what you're saying. If the seat doesn't need to go back that far to allow for longer legs, that ledge wouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the info. I guess there's not that much haggle room on a new, desired vehicle. I wish I was in So Cal--I would for sure visit Vista! Now you really got me thinking about the dune interior. I was so sold on black leather, but now I'm going to think twice about it.

I've seen the ambient lighting and although it's a neat feature, I think I probably wouldn't use it that much if at all after the first week or so after the novelty of it wore off.

I'm also considering the 2012 Fusion Hybrid because of the 0% financing, lower price, cash back, and roomier cockpit. But I just can't help lean towards the beautiful styling and better mpg of the 13; not to mention the fold-down back seats among other things.

I'm excited talking about it too; getting ready to order one and all. I just don't want any buyers remorse (I should've gotten the 12, etc.). But being the over-thinker that I am, I would buy the 12 and say "why didn't I get the 13?"!

Oh, and thanks for your Optional Display Settings---I'll definitely have to save that info!
    Considering some of my oddball actions and independent opinions, many people probably see me as not worried about what others think about me, but I'm human, and I do. The car that I drive is a big part of my self image. Some may not think that since I drove a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica for the past 9 1/2 years, but I got one of the first Pacificas made and I drove it in my area for six months before I saw another one. That made me feel good. I have an even better feeling driving my 2013 Fusion Hybrid. It makes you feel proud to be driving a vehicle that others consider beautiful, sexy, etc. I can't help it. I'm a man. The fact that it is a vehicle that the majority of Americans can afford to buy and that it gets 40+ mpg makes it an unbeatable combination. If the 2012 Fusion had just been updated with the new hybrid system but kept the same body style, it would not have been on my list of cars to consider.
    Last August I had narrowed my list to the Optima, Altima, Santa Fe Sport and the Fusion. My experience so far is that the Fusion Hybrid beats the others in every aspect, except for the cargo capacity of the Santa Fe. That is the one thing I will be giving up with my Fusion compared with my Pacifica: I won't be able to load up my empty trash cans on the street into the back of it every week. I'll have to walk the 600' to retrieve them. I need the exercise anyway. My wife's RX330 can take over of all the other oversize cargo duties. I also won't be able to carry six people, but I did that only four times in over nine years.
    Agree totally. I really don't care much at all for that obnoxious grill on the 12 that screams "look at me, I'm chrome". The rest of the car I can tolerate.

Say, on the radio---do you have any reception problems? I've seen this mentioned on the internet how the HD radio goes in and out of good reception. I too experienced this on my weekend test drive of the fusion hybrid. One second it sounded ok and the next it sounded like the band was in the trunk of the car next to me. I sat and listened to the stereo on the Titanium a couple weeks ago and the Sirius was stellar. Unbelievably crystal clear and dynamite sound. Don't remember what the regular radio sounded like though as I was sitting in the lot talking with the salesman next to me.
    You'll get used to the grill. I happen to love it. It's a lot better than Lincoln's or the new Lexus front end look in my opinion. All my local radio stations have come through perfectly clear so far. Sirius also. I'm very happy with the audio quality. About once an hour, Sirius will go dead for one second. That's the only glitch I've heard.
    I think you misunderstood. I didn't like the grill on the 12. I love the grill on the 13!
    Hello again

Would you consider doing something for the Fusion community? Would you please post your mpg numbers to the fueleconomy.gov website? So far, there are only two reports up there so far and the Fusion is averaging around 35 mpg. Not good. We need better results such as yours posted. There's an article here that doesn't sound promising either:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/11/20/ford-hybrids-fuel-economy-failing-to-l- ive-up-to-epa-ratings/

Thanks!
    I posted 39 mpg on the gov site Saturday night. The average on the site is now 37.1. I hope to be very disciplined over the next two weeks and post my figures for that period. I still have the tendency to be the leader of the pack on the highway, especially on my trips to So. Cal. on the Orange County freeways. Even with way too much time at 75+ mph and getting stuck on a closed freeway due to a police chase, my holiday trip still averaged 37.8 mpg.
    A C-Max forum says that quick acceleration to your desired speed and then letting off the pedal to get it to EV Mode is the best way to improve mileage. It sounds counter-intuitive, but I'll see how it works this week.
    After 1,400 miles, there hasn't been one squawk to report.
    Great! Thanks! Car and Driver tested one too and they only got 32 mpg. I hope it's true what they say; that the mpg gets better with age with the Fusion hybrids. We can only wait and see I guess. Seems that everyone who cares to talk about it is getting in the 30's so far which is extremely disappointing. If you're advertising 47, you should be getting 47, be it highway or stop and go. Don't you agree? I am days away from ordering a Titanium Hybrid but I may give it a little more time to see where the mpg is going on this. I hate to play the waiting game but I don't want to prematurely jump on a 12 either. Do you have a commute where you are under 40mph for any length of time? I'm curious to see what your non-highway mpg is. Thanks again for being diligent. I (we) appreciate it.
    This comes from a dealer I posed the question to about poor mpg in the beginning and here's his response: "It's common on(all)cars. Some cars can take up to 6-9000 miles before actual gas range is accurate." So I guess it's true. All the people posting low mpg on their 13 Fusions aren't giving them a chance to break-in. Encouraging news to me.
  • drdad314drdad314 Member Posts: 7
    I just picked up a 2013 Fusion Hybrid last weekend and have about 500 miles on it. I have similar options with the Red/Black color scheme. So far, I am extremely pleased with my new car. I have seen several blogs now that are slamming the Ford hybrids saying that people are not getting the advertised mpg, and I am struggling to understand why they are having such a hard time.

My longest trip so far was 90 miles of mixed (50/50) hwy (55 mph sustained) and gridlock traffic. The reported mpg was 47.3--right on the money. I have made several city-only trips of 4-10 miles and have seen the displayed mpg range from 40 to 51 upon completion of the trip. The drive home from the dealership was 8 miles of suburban driving and I got 46.9 mpg.

I have zero prior seat time in any hybrid and the only techniques I have been using are those common to the average Prius driver. I literally watched a few videos online and started driving. In the Fusion lifting off the gas will put it in EV mode most of the time unless the battery is drained or you are going up a hill. Most of my runs are displaying 40-60% of the total miles in EV mode. The brake regen works great and the back-and-forth between the gas engine and the electric motor is seamless.

I have noticed that a stiff headwind and temperatures below 40 degrees will definitely impact your mpg, but that is really to be expected. The car cannot violate the laws of physics and battery chemistry. I can't believe people are expecting the advertised mileage in all conditions and driving styles. Do athletes perform the same when the weather is at an extreme hot or cold temperature or the wind is in their face? Didn't think so.
    DrDad,

You've made my day! Thank you for the report. I'm anything but a car nut. All my cars have been practical. Driving a Pacifica for 9+ years proves that. The new Fusion is the first car that makes we want to just close up shop and drive it around all day. I've had dreams of driving a Corvette, Audi, etc, but I knew my practical (and cheap) side would never allow that to happen. The Fusion Hybrid has now given me a great looking and practical car that exceeds these dreams (I've never been into high g acceleration and turns) by not requiring me to live beyond my means. It has even inspired me to buy my first Smartphone today so that I can really be considered living in the 21st Century.
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    edited December 2012
    Everytime I look at the Fusion I can't help but think what a great looking convertible it would make! My TCH XLE just wouldn't cut it in that respect! (But my 06 Solara XLE Convertible did!)
  • nate99nate99 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys,

I am looking into buying a sedan with good mpg and this is one of them. I would like it if you could tell me how much you payed and how much I should expect to pay for a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid. Also if there is anything with the car that does not quite appeal you (something you do not like about the car) I would love for you to inform me of it.

Thanks,
    -Nate
    Hey Nate. I'm looking to get one too. Check out b25nut's posts. Very informative.

I've been researching this for months and driven a few of these on different occasions so I'll give you my 2¢. The first thing that struck me was that the center console is pretty wide so if you're taller than 6', your right knee may feel a little bit confined by hitting the center console. I'm used to driving in a relaxed position in my 04 Camry and now in that same position my right knee rests on the console. Not a deal breaker but just something to mention.

As far as mpg, don't let the low reports trickling out fool you. Cars need a "break-in" period and that can take around 5,000 miles or so. People are driving them off the lot, driving it for a few weeks and are freaking out because they're only getting in the 30's. During my test drive on one commute I averaged 45.2. Of course driving habits and weather come into play but overall give it some time.

The battery in the trunk isn't as big as some hybrids and although the space is less, there is a nice ledge in the middle of the back of the trunk (battery's underneath) you can put stuff on (small luggage, perhaps?) and also the rear seats fold down--something you don't see on a hybrid.

Lastly, as far as price, since I'm in the market to order a Titanium Hybrid, I've been getting some quotes from various dealers here in the Chicago area and all the best deals are at invoice. Not sure if I have any more wriggle room (hey, we all want to pay as least as possible, right?!) so I may just have to go with the flow and pay invoice. If someone reading this thinks I can do better or if this is a great deal in and of itself, please let me know.

Anyway, hope this was of some help.

Ed
    Nate,

Since I was one of the first to have an opportunity to buy the FFH in So. Cal, I didn't haggle with my dealer on price. He gave me $500 off the MSRP and I paid $33,365. This came with the Luxury & Tech packages, Nav, Moonroof, Reverse Sensing System, Luxury Wheels and White Platinum paint. I would not give any of these items up, and I've never had a moment where I had wished I had any of the Driver Assist options. Since I plan on having this car for a long time, I did get the extended warrantee.
    The only item which I was disappointed with before buying my Fusion was its lack of a spare tire. This may sound scary to some, but you get a tire sealing compressor (Temporary Mobility Kit) that fixes and inflates your flat tire. Ford recommends traveling no more than 30 miles with this. The fact that Ford provides for free 24 hour roadside assistance makes the issue less bothersome. If the Hybrid had a spare, the carry thru space to the folded back seats probably wouldn't have worked, or the gas tank or something else would need to be smaller, which would be weekly irritations. I think Ford made the correct compromise.
    I really like the larger center console. My right arm rests very comfortably on it. Ford did a great job with the ergonomics. There hasn't been one time that I felt something should be placed differently. The first few times I closed the glove compartment, which has a very useful shelf in it, the right side latch didn't engage. I found this happened since I was pushing on the far left side. By pushing anywhere on the right 75% of the door, it latches every time.
    Knowing the fuel filler door opens by pushing on it is useful knowledge for new owners. The capless fuel system works perfectly. I have found that my windows fog up much more than my previous larger vehicles, but the Fusion's defrost system quickly takes care of it. I've really grown to like the MyFord Touch and Sync, so much so that I'm a little reluctant to get the update that is available this month. I like it the way it is, but I'm a person that resists change.
    The way the Fusion lights up, inside and out, when you unlock it or open a door, is one of my favorite features. Another is that when I turn the key on, I not spewing exhaust out into my garage. Every morning, I quietly back out and I'm on my way. Getting free mileage every time I brake correctly is also a nice feeling. I didn't have to change my habits since the way I have always braked just works out to be the most efficient way for a hybrid.
    One issue that has surfaced is that by choosing the Luxury 18" wheels, the Goodyear tires, while giving you better handling, appear to give you MPG figures about 2 less than the 17" with low rolling resistance Michelins. For me, the looks of the luxury wheels are worth the loss of mpg. My daily commutes give me 38-43 mpg with most of the miles spent at 65-70 mph. When the car was warm on an afternoon test of 10 miles of city driving at 25-45 mph, I got over 50 mpg. Cold weather and 70+mph speeds are hard on MPG
    You can probably tell I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I like to hear people ask "That's a Ford?".
    So you didn't choose the driver assist package? If that's the case, did your rear-view mirrors come with the smaller "bubble" mirror on the corners? I was told that if you don't get the BLIS the mirrors, they come this way. I could definitely live without that package too (I've been driving without it for over 30 years now) but I'm not sure I could get used to the smaller bubble mirrors attached. Did you? Do they work well and are they useful?
    edited December 2012
    Moviefan,

I paid about $32,500 for mine. Has everything but the semi-autonomous driving features. I wouldn't worry about the battery space in the trunk. I can fit my son's hockey bag and two sticks in there. So far my only gripe is that the telescope/tilt lever is difficult to find. It's a nice car and the ride is smooth and quiet. The little bubble mirrors are actually quite helpful.
    If I can talk myself out of the Drivers assist package, that's almost another thousand I could save. My sales tax here is 9.5%. Crazy. So I'll be happy if I can get this out the door for $35k.
    I don't have any of the driver assist options (BLIS, adaptive cruise, etc). The bubble on the side mirrors allows you to have no blind spots while driving. I set my mirrors so that when the headlight of a car that is passing me disappears from my center rear view mirror, it is visible in one of the side mirrors, where the vehicle stays in sight until a split second before it appears in my peripheral vision. That split second is covered by the bubble mirror, which I have found very easy to get used to. Personally, I would prefer that the bubbles be in the lower outer corners instead of the upper corners, but they work good the way they are.
    Where the BLIS would come in handy is when it is raining. The clarity of your view out the rear and side windows, and the side mirrors (even though they are heated) is significantly reduced when they are covered by water drops.
    By not going with the driver assist options, you can get the extended warrantee, which I feel is worth the extra cost for the peace of mind it gives you. You're going to love this car, and you're really going to enjoy the driving experience with the hybrid. I walked up to mine in a parking lot today and the early morning sun made the White Platinum shine like a jewel. Even though it needed to be washed, you coudln't tell. No other vehicle combines all the factors that make you feel good about your car like the FFH does.
    You paint a really nice picture of what it's like to own a 2013 Fusion Hybrid. Thanks for your input and I'm sure we'll be talking in this forum quite a bit! How much (and how long) was your extended warranty if you don't mind me asking?
    Everything is covered for 5 years/70,000 miles with roadside assistance included. I'm paying $1,600 for this over the life of the loan. I wasn't going to get this but the Ford finance guy at my dealer was really nice. Since virtually everything on the 2013 Fusion is new, it makes since to me now to have the peace of mind for the next five years.
    That being said, I haven't had one issue yet. All signs are that Ford has done everything right. Checking out the 2013 Altima consumer reviews makes my FFH look like a Rolls Royce. One of the latest had their transmision fail after four months (yet they still give it 4 out of 5 stars!). If I decided to go with the non-hybrid 2.0 SE with the same options, I would have spent $2,100 less. I think it is the best $2,100 I've ever spent.
    I wanted to follow up with an mpg report. Sadly, the last tank was only 39 mpg, and this tank looks like it will come in around 38 mpg. The last two tanks have been 100% city driving, where I am defining city driving as stoplight to stoplight traffic with maximum speed of about 35 mph.

The main problem I see is that the gas engine is coming on more than expected, especially during low-speed acceleration. And when it comes on, it seems to rev pretty high, completely taking over for the electric motor even if the battery is almost fully charged. If traffic is really heavy, and I am creeping along in electric drive mode, that is an obvious mpg booster. I'm babying the car to the point where a big gap is opening up between myself and the guy in front of me, so I know it's not my (nonexistent) lead foot. If I keep up with traffic after the light turns green, I can watch the mpg drop precipitously.

So it sounds like Ford has some work to do. I'm not sure if they can reprogram the engine loading-throttle response code a bit and see if a better balance of gas and electric can be obtained. If the gas engine were to come on a bit less aggressive, it might boost mileage. I'm eagerly awaiting the EPA results and Ford response.
    How many miles have you put on the car already? I would give it until at least 5000. Remember, there's that break-in period we talked about...

By the way, approx. how many miles are you getting to the tankful?
    Actually I emailed Ford about a "break-in" period and they said the time frame is about 3000 to get the good mpg. If you're over that or over 5000 say, then there may be some room for concern. Check out this thread for FFH owners:

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/index.php?/topic/5629-poor-mpg-should-i-take-it- -in/
    Moviefan,

I only have about 1000 miles. However, my first tank was 45 mpg, so I've seen a big drop in the last two tanks. Perhaps the break-in period contains programming that runs the gas engine more than is normally required? I'm a bit skeptical that break-in will suddenly boost the mpg by that much. I just think that in certain kinds of city driving (i.e. light-to-light whipsaw traffic), the 47 mpg may be impossible to obtain, unless the gas engine response is muted.
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, not sure. They say these hybrid cars are suppose to adapt to your driving habits too. Keep us posted on your mpg's on the upcoming tankfuls...
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    edited December 2012
    Hi, In my '12 Toyota Camry Hybrid I can drive at 40-45 miles an hour on a level surface in EV mode for a mile or so. Can the FFH be driven up to 62 miles and hour in EV mode as Ford claims and how far can it be driven like that if so? Previous to owning my first hybrid I didn't think driving in EV was possible past say 25mph or so.
  • flbntzflbntz Member Posts: 43
    Just picked up my 2013 Ford Fusion S last night, and purchased 6 year/48,000 mile warrantee for $779. I feel very good about it, although the car feels very well made.
    On a level freeway, my FFH will go a little over a mile on EV mode at 62 mph. 63 mph kicks in the ICE, unless I'm going slightly downhill, where I've seen a few seconds at 64 mph on EV.
    DrDad: I think the current cold weather is having a significant effect on MPG. Even if the battery is fully charged, the ICE will run just to keep the whole system warm. I decided this morning not to constantly monitor it for a while. Even if I don't baby it, I'm still getting more than twice the MPG of my previous car, so I'm going to just enjoy the Fusion driving experience and drive as I did before, usually as the leader of the pack. I was starting to irritate my wife a little anyway. She prefers getting places in close to the shortest amount of time. It's not like I can't afford to buy an additional gallon or two of gas a week.
    I absolutely agree with you. I spent some quality time in traffic tonight and concluded that while i'm only getting about 38 mpg, I am not burning one drop of gas while creeping along at 2 mph, and it's almost double of what I was previously getting. Add in the fact the FFH is a fantastic driving car with great looking sheet metal and great features for under $35k, I really shouldn't be complaining.
    edited December 2012
    Gened1,

Yes. I have gotten it up to about 65 mph in EV mode on a long downhill and it will hold 60 mph on a level road just like b25nut said.
  • src6src6 Member Posts: 1
    If you are a CostCo member, try out their auto-buyers program. I was able to get a quote for my FFH that was about $1500 lower than any other dealer would offer. In fact, most of them were totally unwilling to move off of sticker, other than Ford's $500 incentive, so having the CostCo quote might even give you some leverage when haggling with other dealers.
    This past week, I was only getting about 37 mpg on my usual stop-start heavy traffic commute of 15 miles. Today, I made a stop at friend's house which took me out if traffic and on a 45 mile trip. When I pulled in the garage, the trip mpg said 44, which is in the ballpark of the EPA rating. I would consider this city driving since it was two lane roads and the top speed was 55, but mostly around 30-45. Even more evidence of a significant penalty for heavy traffic conditions, no doubt due to the number of acceleration cycles.
    I checked into the Costco thing. I don't remember how much I would ultimately save off sticker. I don't belong and didn't feel like signing up just to buy a car.

But I've been asking various dealers in my area to give me their best offer and the best one I got was at invoice (plus the $500 rebate, so really $500 under invoice, I guess). Not too bad, right?
    Makes no sense. Isn't that the epitome of "city driving"? You would think you'd get better mpg in that stop and go environment. Thanks for the info...
  • squirm2squirm2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Can someone tell me how the adaptive cruise control/collision avoidance works and if it is practical? I am considering a FFH because the Camry hybrid doesn't have this feature. I drive in stop and go traffic often and hate it when I'm too slow in noticing the car in front of me slowing down quickly and therefore have to hit the brakes hard.

I drive very conscientious but there are times when I just don't notice something right away. I figure having something help me drive would be a great tool. On the other hand, if it's not practical or useful in a real world situation then I obviously don't want it.

Has anyone experienced this feature and can you see yourself using it everyday, esp in traffic?
  • icorvaicorva Member Posts: 1
    The car sits very low and you will find sometimes coming out of a parking lot, scraping in the front on bottom.
    The bottom of the front grill has a long cut out supported in the middle by 4 small posts. These on mine are cracking . Its a bad design. They should have been much bigger.

If there is any small impact to the front these will crack. They could also crack from built in stress from installation or manufacturing.
    edited December 2012
    I don't have the Adaptive Cruise Control on mine but my understanding of the option is that it works only when you have the Fusion set on Cruise Control, which should only be used at higher speeds on highways. CC & ACC could be used at slower speeds, but I don't think anyone would recommend doing so. It does not work at speeds below 12 mph. The owner's manual specifically states not to use CC in heavy traffic.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    SO far I have nearly 5,000 miles on my 2013 Fusion Hybrid and have yet seen it get above 40 MPG on a highway trip. Best I see is 38. If my math is correct, that is 9 below the rating. I don't drive 70, most of my driving is on Rural highways of 55. I have a 2010 Fusion Hybrid that I get EPA in all the time, and have exceeded it quite often in the summer.

The other day I did a test drive. I took the 2013 up to a gas station 11.5 miles away, drove it very conservatively there, got 32 MPG, then drove it back, a little more aggressively, Like I do my 2010, and it was also a bit downhill, and got 34 MPG.

I then took the 2010 and drove it exactly the same way there, turning the HVAC on at the exact same time, and got .2 MPG lower than the 2013, then drove it back the way I normally drive and got 36 MPG.

For all the hype, this car does not live up to its potential, not at all, especially considering I have a prior generation Hybrid that I am very happy with and does live up to its potential. The 2013 Fusion has so much going for it, but this one glaring problem has me considering trading it for a Camry. How will that look to see a Used 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid sitting on a Toyota used car lot in 2012?

I built a 2013 Fusion Titanium with the options I like, and compared to this car I could have saved a couple grand for the MPG it gets. I wouldn't be complaining about MPG if I had done that. The the highway miles that it gets, I could have saved $10K and bought a Focus to get this.

I have driven Hybrids since 2007, starting with a Prius, which by the time I traded it, I was at 53 MPG lifetime. I had a 2009 Camry, and averaged 35 MPG lifetime, and my current 2010 FFH is currently at 38 MPG, lifetime is lower in it since my wife drives it too, and it had an issue when we first got it that required a reflash so the first couple months were pretty low, but improved quite a bit. It is getting right in the range claimed by EPA, and quite happy with it.

I have already taken it in, and Ford claims no problem, yet the math did not add up. They claim it was getting 36-38 at 70 MPH, and using Eco cruise got 44-46 MPG at 55 over a 108 mile test loop, when I filled the car, the actual MPG was 33. That is far below what they are claiming it gets. I am documenting every tank, marking down how many gallons the dash said is used vs what is actually being put in.

I understand there is cold and fuel to factor in, BUT when you consider I drive the same trip in my 2010, which is rated 39 combined, and at worse gets 37 in the cold, the MPG I am getting in the 2013 is at least 3-4 MPG below what it should be.

Could it be the tires? they are not Energy Savers like those that come standard on the 2013, but are 18" Goodyears. If they are reducing miles by 3-4 MPG,then that should be something noted by Ford in the brochures and website. I for one don't have an extra $1200 to find out.

Ford is unwilling to find out either, but in any case I am not happy with this car, and will NOT recommend it to anyone who asks. Stay away from the Hybrid for now. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • resa_ed_47resa_ed_47 Member Posts: 1
    How are you Calculating the Mileage you are getting on your little 11.5 mile trip? I hope you are not using any mileage display from the car, as they are NOT accurate. MY question to you is: have you ever filled up the tank to the brim, then driven 200 miles and then filled up the tank again to see what kind of mileage you really got? That is the ONLY way to calculate MPG.
    edited December 2012
    I'll just leave this here.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/acdii/fusion-2

Also have all fills on fueleconomy.gov
  • pricefam1pricefam1 Member Posts: 3
    Last month I placed an order at my Ford dealer for a 2013 Fusion Titanium Hybrid. I am very excited about owning this car but frustrated at not knowing when the model will go into production. The only timeline Ford will give me is "early 2013". I suspect Ford is waiting to see how well the SE hybrid sells before they begin building Titanium hybrids. I would be interested in knowing if there are others out there who have a Titanium hybrid on order and if anyone has information on when they will go into production.
    1/7/13 is the start date for the TiHy. I just hope Ford can get their act together and get the ones already on the streets working correctly.
    The new Fusion Hybrids are not living up to the hype, even with the cold weather, they should still be in the low 40's, but looks like majority of them are in the mid 30's instead.

Hope this link works, Fusion comparison

Very disappointed in the new Fusion, 4500 miles on mine and now I have a solid CEL in addition to only 35 MPG. Have to take time off to bring it in for service, and I have only had it since 11-23. :lemon: