Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord CVT Problems

Comments

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    I have the exl v-6. i had my screen lock up one time with that same picture. radio nothing worked. I shut car off and restarted and that cleared the system.
    This migh have something to due with the hard drive. keep us posted if you bring into the dealer for service.

My last post was a joke. The wiring system in the Accord is set to make lights go on when car door is opened.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• santukvsantukv Member Posts: 2
    You are true... I changed my first oil @9.5K miles on 2013 Honda accord.. Oil was still looking clear like the new oil, then felt I should have not changed...I changed it only because of maintenance minder showing 15% .. I drove 300 miles just before changing oil and I got 40mpg with AC in auto(in hot summer).. If there was any oil quality degradation or burning, there should have been some performance change and I feel there was no difference from my new car with 0 miles and 10k miles... It all depends on how fast we accelerate and how high the rpm the engine has.. I max had 3k rpm only on few occasions and except that my rpm on an average was below 2k.Using today's high quality synthetic oil, driving safe and steady, efficiently , there is no need to change oil very frequently like 5K as some people mentioned... ...
    edited August 2013
    Since your a expert on when Oil and Vel/ does break down by looking at how clean it looks and when to change it...... answer me this.

Same 2 cars... Same driven habits exactly the same.

you change your oil every 10k once a year

i change it maybe 3x. Do it yourself for $54 dollars for 3 oil changes.

Who's motor stands a better chance of lasting longer. Certainly not yours.

I'd rather spend that 54 dollars every year and have piece of mind knowing my oil is always clean and giving my investment its best chance to run at the highest quality.

I know many who will disagree but for me oil changes are so inexpensive why take a chance thinking you know when oil breaks down in your car engine.

• colkidcolkid Member Posts: 9
    "If there was any oil quality degradation or burning, there should have been some performance change and I feel there was no difference from my new car with 0 miles and 10k miles."
    If there is a change in performance it will come later at higher mileage's, Not at 10,000 miles.
    The rest of the message about how often to change, I am not sure, but I did change around 5- 6,000. With the new car I will change it like they recommend
    unless I see a difference.
    Are you driving a 4 or 6 cylinder to get 40 mpg on the road. I have a 6 cyl.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    Oil color is not a reliable indicator of the condition of the oil - only a used oil analysis can accurately tell you how well oil is holding up. There is a very useful website called bobistheoilguy.com with all kinds of good advice on oils. Brian - if you do your own changes, you might be able to get away with just a couple a year - apparently, our Hondas are very good on oil and coupled with the excellent technology of the modern synthetics, if you change the oil according the the maintenance minder, you can expect to easily get 250-300k miles out of the motor.

Bill G
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    No, but the maintenance minder is designed to indicate when oil life is degrading. This is Honda's system now. It's designed to avoid unnecessary oil changes but also to have them occasionally more often if driving conditions change. It isn't based on a fixed number.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Is there a possibility that when you get to 9 or 10k miles that the system could be not as accurate and your oil has broken down 2000 miles ago. What makes these systems so accurate?

I understand what the maintenance minder does - been driving Hondas and Acuras more than 20 years - I was responding to Brian who was responding to someone who apparently felt good about the condition of his oil because it was a "clear" color after a lot of miles. From what I understand, the maintenance minder cannot determine the condition of your oil, it only estimates the oil's remaining life based on a number of factors determined by how the vehicle is driven. Cars that see a lot of highway driving are easier on oil, so the MM sometimes doesn't reach 0% for 9 or 10k miles. In my case, with a lot of stop and go driving, I'm at 20% around 5k miles - so that's when it gets new oil and filter. But again, my main point is that you can't rely solely on the oil's color to determine it's condition.

Bill G
    It's not in Honda's interests to have their engines or anything else wear prematurely so if they have confidence in the system I think it's probably pretty good at what it does. It doesn't just measure driving conditions.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited August 2013
    My driving conditions are similar to yours. Thats why i questioned him about color of oil. It dont make sense. My BMX X-5 i have been changing the oil every 4k and my reading is about 38%. Gives me piece of mind knowing that the oil is new and my 63k investment is running smooth. In 10 yrs when i see the stats on oil changes at 10k and vehicles running 200 or more miles i will consider changing my old ways. until then i have no problem spending peanuts on do it your-self oil changes.

I agree Brian - one of the best ways to extend the life of a vehicle and keep it running great is to make sure all the fluids are clean and fresh.

By the way, a little while back, I saw one of your posts that recommended P21S car wax - got some and gave it a try - it's great stuff - thanks for the tip!

Bill
    edited August 2013
    Bill, Thanks
    My vehicles never looked so good. Here is a little trick a detailer told me to do to cut down waxing time. i mean who likes to be out there waxing a car all the time. This wax is quick and effortless to take off. I can wax some of my vehicles in less than 20 mins. And one side in 6 mins with p21's.

Wax vehicle 1x first. After your next car wash Wax only one side or just a small portion of vehicle. Do it again on the next wash and go around the car several times to you build up 5 or 6 layers. The next year after I clay bar the car and strip all the dirt and contaminates off the car/ paint i repeat the process for that year.

Thanks - I'll definitely give that a try - anything that reduces the the amount of manual labor involved is welcome news. My wife's dark gray ES350 really pops with that P21S.
  • hcord13hcord13 Member Posts: 2
    I bumped a curb slightly with my 2013 Accord Sport. Where can I find the touch up paint color for the rim?
  • hcord13hcord13 Member Posts: 2
    I bumped a curb slightly with my 2013 Accord Sport. Where can I find the touch up paint color for the rim?
    edited August 2013
    If my memory is correct i think Honda's wheel paint is a.............. k-12

If dealership does not have touch up go to web for

A+ Detailing and wheel repair.

Its always best to sand damage area smooth and flush first before applying touch up. Use a very thin coat and repeat if needed. Rims that are damaged badly would need some bondo after sanded and smoothed out.

• tamtlytamtly Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2013 LX with 1000 miles on it. I am starting to hear some clicking noise from passenger side front wheel area. Its happening only at low speeds. wondering if it is related to CVT. Anyone faced this ?
  • dtom7dtom7 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, I hear the same noise at low speeds especially moving around in a parking lot. It looks like it's coming from the cvt. I used to hear the same noise from my previous Nissan Sentra which also had cvt.

Do you experience a slight jerk while braking with a light foot?
  • tamtlytamtly Member Posts: 10
    I have not noticed jerking, but at low speeds drive is kind of bumpy.
  • mach825imach825i Member Posts: 2
    Maybe the issues have been addressed. I just took delivery of a 2013 ex-l. I was looking at Mercedes and BMW. After driving for a couple weeks I am left wondering why I would pay 45% more for such a car. CVT transmission is as smooth silk. Ride is really good. I keep looking at the front H logo to see if it might actually be a A. With Econo I feel reduction power. Willing to give up most of the time for an increase in MPG. Technology work pretty good. Much better than my 11 Pilot Touring. Hated the tech in that truck since I got it. Small issues with phone streaming. Could be caused by latest update to IOS though.
  • mach825imach825i Member Posts: 2
    We have a Pilot 11 with VCM. It is noticeable. But not unbearable.
    Got mine in March and it too is smooth and wonderful.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • santukvsantukv Member Posts: 2
    I have a 4 cylinder , CVT
  • pilmpilm Member Posts: 5
    There is a CVT TSB 13-053. You can ask your Honda dealer if your VIN number is affected, and if so, have them check it out.
  • navragenavrage Member Posts: 1
    I found out the bad way that the LCD radio touchscreen thing on the accord touring is rather flimsy. When too much pressure is applied it creates this not so nice spider web of cracks across the surface which has killed off the touch screen functionality.

Does anyone know how much it costs to get the screen replaced?

The voice commands still work -that is as badly as they ever did- as do the controls on the steering wheel but thinking I might miss the keyboard if I'm forced to have to use the maddening navigation system in this car again!

Thanks.
    I would think your covered with the warranty. Sounds like to me the screen was defective not that you applied to much pressure. Make sure you tell honda you touched the screen and it cracked.

• jimmytulsajimmytulsa Member Posts: 48
    I had sunglasses in the small compartment above the head. It was rattling for a few months. Drove me nuts at low speeds; had no idea. I thought it was manufacturing issues in the front somewhere inside...

Keep that sunglass compartment empty!
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    Very funny ! It applies too all year models (both on my previous 2001 Accord and on my present 2012 Accord it happened).

Initially I kept arguing with my wife about that rattle for ... months. She said it was coming from the left side, I was saying it was coming from the right side. After a while we realized it was from the sunglasses box, above our heads, so from between us. That's why the rattle was coming from her left side, and also from my right side !

Actually it matters how you put the eyeglasses in that box. In one position it rattles, in the other position it doesn't !
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I had that sunglass rattle too. I was just happy to fix it!

another solution is to get one of the soft case/sleeves for the glasses. Put them in that before sticking in the holder. No more rattle worries.

actually, some years back I had a pair of prescription suns in my Accord in that holder. They actually melted enough to warp slightly, so one lens never stayed in right after that.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Hi all. I am at 5600 mi. on my new Accord and the oil life monitor says I have 40% left. (Which I take to mean somewhere between and 31 and 40 per the manual.) While I don't question the oil life going up to maybe 8-9K, it seems like a long time to wait for a tire rotation. I bought (didn't intend to, but dealer F&I guy threw in to sweeten the warranty deal) a 36,000 mile maintenance plan. I assume that means only what the car's computer says it needs/wants at a given mileage. Question is, how many "free" services can I expect through the first 36K, and do you all also wait for the car to recommend a tire rotation? I've always had that done every 5K.
    A felt or foam liner would have been nice. Mine seem to fit well enough they don't make any noise. But I have been known to obsess over other very minor sounds... Changing out a noisy aspirator (temp sensor fan) in the headliner of our Yukon a couple years ago was so very satisfying. Nobody else noticed it, but it was ALL I could hear for weeks. Wife was surprised to see so many trim and headliner pieces laying on the ground, but I got it done and put back together. And could then direct my attention to what turned out to be a rattling exhaust heat shield. $30 to the muffler shop guy with the welder, best money ever spent.
    I hadn't even thought of tire rotation. I have 6500 miles on mind and the oil life gauge is also at 40%, so I'm sure it will be nearly 10k before an oil change. I guess my inclination is to do them both at the same time. Eventually I'll buy tires locally and they provide free rotation so I'll do it separately from the oil maintenance.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Rotate your tires every 7000 miles for best results.. I do mine every 5 to 6k . Your out of your mind waiting 10 k on regular oil change in your Accord. You should be changing it now. Oil changes are so inexpensive why take a chance. You do not have synthetic oil in your Accord from the factory. Dont gauge your oil life from a computer it never does know when oil is breaking down.

just my 2 cents thou..

Honda does things differently now. They have computer readings that measure the viscosity and such of the oil to determine when an oil change will be, and it will differ depending on types of driving. Mine will probably be longer this time because it was spring and summer and not so much cold starts and snowy roads as in winter. The service people tell you to wait until the wrench icon shows up on the dash to schedule maintenance. They do not recommend doing it on your own schedule just because you have always done it that way. Most cars have much longer waits now between oil changes anyway. My Nissan was 7500 miles. Honda has built a reputation for long lasting engines so I'm following their recommendations.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    well, you are supposed to go in when it hits 15%. so based on my experience, you will probably be right about 7,500 miles. Which just happens to be right around where our (former) odyssey, and current RDX, seem to come do. Also about the longest I would be willing to go!

I am fine with rotating the tires on that schedule too. I doubt doing it at 5k is going to make much difference. But, if it bothers you, just use a tire shop to have it done when you want, instead of having the dealer do it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >Honda ... have computer readings that measure the viscosity and such of the oil to determine when an oil change will be

Do you have any links for information about how that is done by Honda?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Yes, I had one back on this thread a ways. I'll try and find it again.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The maintenance minder does not measure the viscosity. As per the link to Honda it measures what the engine does but does not actually take any readings on the oil. It is still quite accurate.

I just changed my oil at 15% and 9,600 miles. It would have been 11k to 0%, but I wanted to do the change before it got too nasty (snowed last night). I also was anxious to get in full synthetic.

Even after nearly 10k miles the oil still looked quite good.
    I read the link and agree with previous poster that it doesn't measure viscosity. I was curious if it did anything beyond what most car have as their oil life intergrators; BMW has a setup that measures something else. I forget what exactly, but I believe it measures contamination along with the operating parameters.

edited October 2013
    >I also was anxious to get in full synthetic.

The bottom of the post by sudyam says that Honda does not recommend synthetic. :grin

"Q: I use synthetic oil. Should I expect to get more miles before the Honda Maintenance Minder indicates that I need an oil change?

"A: Honda does not recommend the use of synthetic oils as your Honda was designed and engineered based on the oil recommended in your owner's manual. The Honda Maintenance Minder calculates your vehicle's needs based on the oil recommended by the Honda engineers that designed your engine. The use of synthetic oil will not extend the oil change interval."

• tkostuchektkostuchek Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem- I'm a bit upset. Pressed the LCD screen and it felt hot- next thing - screen cracked... Took to Honda said it was damaged externally - like i intentionally shattered it... WTF. Any luck with honda??? Or any resolution to getting a new part? Parts and labor have been quoted over a grand.
    I was thinking the same thing. Next tires will be on me, and will have free rotations at NTB or Discount. Will definitely have it done at my own schedule then. Just want to prolong the first set as long as possible.
  • capegirl5capegirl5 Member Posts: 35
    edited October 2013
    So, I have been driving a 2004 Maxima 3.5SL with 227,000 miles and a host of issues. For the last 2 years ( 50K miles), I have been using non-ethanol gas for gas mileage but also because the car runs so much better with it vs reg unleaded. Has anyone used both in their new Accord? and is there any difference in gas mileage, how it runs, etc. ? Is one better than the other? Is there any harm in using non-ethanol gas in a new V6?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I don't use synthetic to extend the intervals. I use it for the better engine protection, better fuel economy and easier cold starting.
  • david_emaladavid_emala Member Posts: 2
    I am a dealer in Maryland. I know this issue with the shuttering. I have found that if the vehicle is in ECON mode while driving at that incredible low speed, the vehicle will shutter. But removing it from the ECON mode would stiffen the acceleration. IF you have experienced it with the ECON mode inactive, please let me know. I would love the feedback.
  • david_emaladavid_emala Member Posts: 2
    I am a dealer in Maryland. I know this issue with the shuttering. I have found that if the vehicle is in ECON mode while driving at that incredible low speed, the vehicle will shutter. But removing it from the ECON mode would stiffen the acceleration. IF you have experienced it with the ECON mode inactive, please let me know. I would love the feedback.
  • dtom7dtom7 Member Posts: 3
    Hi David,

I'm facing a number of issues with my 2013 Honda Accord LX. The most annoying issue is a creaking sound from the front while moving slowly and breaking in between. I took the car to the nearby dealer one month back and they were able to replicate the problem and they said that the Honda district service manager needs to drive this car to suggest a fix to the problem. I've been waiting for more than a month for the district service manager to visit the dealership and I'm worried about it. Can you help me if I bring my car to your dealership?
  • scfloridascflorida Member Posts: 2
    I bought my car one year ago this month. It has always had this jerky acceleration from a slow start whether or not the eco button is on. The dealer drove the car and could not detect what I complained about. Now I see there is a TSB-053 designed to fix the problem. Has anyone out there had the TSB-053 treatment done at a dealer and if so did it fix the problem?? Really would like an answer so I do not waste a half day for a fix that does not help. I love my car but the acceleration issue is very annoying. Thanks for any help you may be able to give me.
  • thos_wthos_w Member Posts: 1
    I had the TSB-053 run on my EX-L sedan two weeks ago and it did help this problem, although I had no complaint when the car was new. I bought it in March of this year and have 12,000 miles on it. It now drives as it did when new, except that it has also developed a coarseness in the drive train that actually began before this service. It's like a high-frequency vibration on acceleration that stops when you back off the gas. You feel it in the gas pedal and steering wheel. I suspect this issue also comes from the CVT. It seems to be getting worse as the weather gets colder. I was told by the dealer that the transmission adjusts itself to my driving habits via the computer and that I need to adjust my driving habits to keep the car from misbehaving. I am not at all rough with the car, and I think this is totally unacceptable. I contacted Honda of America and was told about TSB-053. They had no other solutions.