Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• slices17slices17 Member Posts: 35
    Hey everybody! Long time no talk. Hope everyone's doing great. I took the doors off my Wrangler over the Memorial Day weekend and they haven't been back on since!

Anyway, I have been thinking of getting a bike rack for my Wrangler. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Ray
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Ray,

If you have a hitch, I bought a Bell, four bike rack at Wal-Mart for $98.00. Really happy with it. They have the same brand in two and three bike models. I think the two bike one is $69.00.

Bought a Draw-Tite hitch from U-Haul for $99.00. Put it on by myself in about 45 min. It fit well, no hammering or forcing. If you have help, should not take more than 20 minutes.

Terry
  • chris_doingchris_doing Member Posts: 9
    Hey Tomster

Thanks for the invite, I might get a chance to take you up on that next summer but this one is booked solid. I am sneaking away to take the new jeep to Silverton, CO for 2 weeks in Jul/Aug though, Woo

I don't know if I'd wheel the jeep down there looking at those pics, I got a Kia Sportage trail rig though that meets your pre-requisites. Its a head turner, I tell you what! LOL
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    I have a Thule rack that mounts through the spare tire. It can only hold 2 bikes, but that's plenty for me. It also comes with a lock which is nice.

I'm pretty happy with it and recommend it if you don't want one that mounts to the hitch.

-Dan
  • rankinhubrankinhub Member Posts: 19
    I'm considering ordering a pair of those Jeeperman skids, now that they're also available for the Unlimited. They look solid and sharp. Question: is there a mounting / undercarriage bolt clearance issue with these? Options for dealing with this? Thanks.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    My cab stays relatively dry, except for some mist that may curl back in while driving. Some water will get in where the door surrounds curve downward, but again not a big deal while moving.

I have a RainGear jeep cover that covers all the way down to the door openings that I put on at night and when it is forecast for rain when it is parked. Humidity here is so high right now that I'd go out to a VERY wet seat if I left it off, so I use it every night. Well worth the 109.95 + free hat and free shipping.

-Paul
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Well, there was the issue I had, which was the seat bolt protruding and rubbing on the mounting bracket, but I could have solved that by simply moving the skid a 1/4 inch to the right or I could have filed down that screw, but since I had the seat riser kit it was a no brainer to install it instead.

I don't know of any issues with clearance. It's a straight forward and easy install, but you really need an extra set of hands to hold the skid while you bolt it up to the frame.

You are right. They are very, very stout skids and quite popular, at least with Rubicon owners. You do know you can get them with or without the diamond plate? I went with the diamond plate to tie into the the Rubicon rocker guards...Here's another pic of mine:

• rockymount3rockymount3 Member Posts: 2
    I know you can't see the grin on my face but believe me it's there. I have now owned my first jeep (05 Wrangler unlimited) for 16 hours and got the hard top off about 15 hours ago....... what can I say....AWESOME! My wife and I almost went Jeep 3years ago but couldn't get past the safety issue of the bumper being right behind the back seat (2 kids would often be sitting there). When we heard about the extended Unlimited I knew it wouldn't be long until we were back in the hunt. I love the extra space but I'm bummin on how short the back seat is and how unprotected from whiplash any backseat passenger would be with a collision from the rear. I searched these forums and saw one similar post last fall but no one knew of any answer but I wanted to throw it out again in case anyone knows of an aftermarket seat with headrests or knows if any of the single seats from quadratec or similar could be swapped out with the rear bench. Any help would be greatly appreciated..... this is the only issue that's rainin on my topless Jeep!
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Boyd:

No help for ya on the headrest issue, but...

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE UNLIMITED!

Yeeeehawwwww!!!!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    I don't know of any off-the-shelf solutions. They do make very large booster seats with backs these days. However, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Your children will be fine--there mostly cartilidge anyway ;) My nearly 8 year old daughter fits perfectly back there. I know it's hard not to worry about our children's safety, but in this case, relax. When I was eight, I was riding on the back of my father's motorcycle.
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    I don't have kids, but if I did I'd invest in one of these:

http://www.allthingsjeep.com/xlbupuphasyd.html

It'd work, right?

;)

-Mike
  • letdolphinletdolphin Member Posts: 37
    Hi Guys

I am having difficulties finding where I can get details on the removal of the dash. Any clues where I can find this data??

I am trying to install an IPOD car stereo interface, and need to get to the back of the stereo ... so if there is easier way I am open for suggestions.

Thanks so much
    Laura :)
  • Hi Rockymount3...Super congrats on your new Unlimited...Man, I've had mine for three weeks this Friday and I still go to one of the windows here at work every few hours just to look at her!

A booster seat with a high-back works just fine for my almost 7 yo and 4 yo in the back of my Unlimited. That space between the rear of the back seat and the back window is exactly why I finally jumped on the Unlimited, too. I feel better knowing my kids' heads are a few more inches away from that window in case of a rear-ender. For booster seats, I have two, identical Britax booster seats with backs that adjust upward to remain above the back of their heads. The booster seats are rated for up to 90lbs.

Enjoy that Unlimited and post some photos if you can.

Jim
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    Laura,
    Here's a link that seems pretty good. Let us know if you need more info. It's pretty straightforward in my experience, also.
    Gary
    http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/stereo/
  • Hey Gang - Thought I'd share a quick story...

The family and I took the Jeep out last Saturday morning to get some breakfast at a local Tim Horton's in town to celebrate my 6 yo's last day of 1st the day before and moving into 2nd grade come Fall. The weather until today has been very muggy and hot. I took all the windows off the Jeep and left the softtop up for some shade from the already intense Sun. My wife drove the Jeep for the first time since getting her (getting the Jeep that is, not my wife :D ). My wife just smiled and enjoyed the power of the 4.0L and the commanding feel of being up so high. She liked how easily it turned, too. The kids in the back and myself in the passenger seat just sat back and relaxed with the wind blowing across us. We experienced and felt the world going by as if we were actually a part of it all rather than sealed up inside a glass bottle looking out as is the norm in a regular vehicle.

After parking in the parking lot and taking a few glances backward as we walk away from Jeep (at least that's what I can't seem to resist), we walk up to the counter at Tim Horton's. Another patron at the counter, a lady with two young girls, looks over at us and says "Hey, girls, there's that smiling family we always see going around town in that white Jeep!". Her young girls looked at us like we were movie stars and were ready to ask for autographs! The nice lady goes on to say that it's not every day they see two kids in the back of a wide-open Jeep smiling from ear-to-ear just for doing a plain-old drive through town and that they're getting to know its us going by before we even get close enough to know for sure since there's not alot of white Jeeps in the area. We gave our thanks and went on to say how much we're loving that Jeep and how we'd recommend it to everyone!

My kids were amazed that they were considered local "stars" and seem to be getting "known" by the folks around town as the "smiling kids in the white Jeep".

Excuse me now as I put on my sunglasses and give the "little" people a thrill as I drive home in my cool white Jeep...come to think of it, Jeeps truly are natural "Rock" Stars", eh? :shades:
  • letdolphinletdolphin Member Posts: 37
    Gary

Thanks so much, I have searched Google all day and must not have been putting in the right combination of words. Well tomorrow after work I will attempt the connection. Hopefully all goes well :)

Laura
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nice story about the Jeep Kids.

But what I really want to know is what kind of donuts did you get?

That reminds me - there's an All Member Chat live starting in about 45 minutes. The link is on the left. We talk cars, but often get sidetracked on food.

Steve, Host
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Tom, great shirt. What rims are you running on Thelma Jane? John Hey Keats, I picked up some of the microfiber towels and they are the best towel I have ever used. Nice pics of your Jeep. Thanks, John
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    Jim- kudos on the great story! I saw the "Tim Horton's" and knew you were a Michigander since I've spent so much time up there. Kids (especially) are drawn to Jeeps; it's fun to see the recognition and admiration on little faces in parking lots around my own town. And lots of times, these are little kids sitting in Lexi and Beamers. Not that I have anything against these vehicles, but they're just not Jeeps. I guess maybe Jeeps are just so much easier to identify, and identify with! Kids equate them with fun. (Hmmmmm......Tom, Mac, Mtngal......I guess lots of us do that!)

I've mentioned before that my own two sons thought it was cool that a corporate Dad could have a Wrangler; they've enjoyed it every much as my dogs have. My wife tends to see a noisy, impractical brick of a vehicle. Still, she cheerfully acknowledges that while she doesn't "get it", it must be some sort of cult! I guess they're right when they say, "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand....."

Kind of like my oldest son and Texas A&M. Terry (wheelsdown) will understand this: "From the outside looking in, you can't understand.....from the inside looking out, you can't explain"

Maybe I should make that my tag - like Tom's Jeep hugging! Help me with the wording, Terry!

Gary
    John:

Thanks. That shirt was from my daughter and wife for not smoking for over a year.

I run American Racing 15 x 8 AR767 wheels with 4" backspacing. Those wheels are just about as cheap as it gets. They have come up some, but I think you can still get them for under $50 apiece.

Tomster

Have you hugged your Jeep today/
  • rankinhubrankinhub Member Posts: 19
    Thanks! Yes, I was aware of the diamond plate option... that's the one I'd like to get as well for my Unlimited Rubi. Also enjoy your pics... very sharp... I'm partial to the khaki color scheme as that's the one I have too. Thanks again for the advice.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    There aren't all that many vehicles that have such a passionate following, but the Wrangler is definitely one of them. My husband still doesn't quite believe that we followed my heart and bought a second Wrangler this time around. And I'm the first person to admit that a Wrangler, no matter which flavor it is, isn't a practical means of transportation. It's all about fun, not practicality.

I get lots of looks with my bright green Unlimited. I don't know if that's people thinking "what a neat looking car" or people thinking "what kind of fool would buy THAT color?" I don't care - I still love it!
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Gary,

I like the simple version-

If I have to explain it, you will never know

Terry
    Mtngal, I love your attitude per the color of your Unlimited. Most people don't take a chance, they don't do what makes them happy because of what others might think. Jeepers don't seem to have that problem. Has your husband started to come around to the "fun" of Jeeps? John
    Will they run on the stock 5.5" backspacing? Thanks , John
    My wonderful other half sort-of gets it. He had a good time at Camp Jeep last year and he enjoys the off-roading. I'm not so sure he's as enthusiastic about going top-down 'cause he's not the "wind in your hair" type (and he does have lots of hair, grey though it might be).
    koolbreeze, the backspacing is wheel dependent. The factory wheels are 5.5. Tom's are 4.5". That actually works to his benefit when offroading. The smaller backspacing pushes his tires out just enough so they don't rub the suspension or inner fenders on full flex.

The tires he has are 33x12.5" I think. That size WOULD fit on a factory 15x8 wheel, but you would need spacers to push them out to effectively get 4.5" of backspacing. You can run a 31x10.5 on the stock wheels without having to do any changes (spacers, new wheels, etc).

-Paul
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Morning all:

My 95 Wrangler is driving me nuts! Or maybe I'm driving it nuts.

Problem:

Driver side marker light is giving me problems. When I turn on the head lights it comes on. When I turn on the left flasher it goes out and does not work.

I have changed numerous bulbs. I replaced the light socket as it appeared one of the contacts on the existing socket was broken. Once I did this, the front flasher (on the grill) did not work. I took it out and cleaned the socket with electronic parts cleaner and reinserted the bulb. It then started working.

After the side marker socket replacement and cleaning of the front turn signal everything worked fine for about a week. Mesohappy!!! Yesterday it was back up to it's old tricks. Mesoticked!!!

Mechanically I can handle most anything this vehicle can throw at me. Electrically I am stupid. What could be the problem here? I don't want to chase wires thru the entire vehicle if I don't have to. Is there a switch/relay/gizmo that controls these things that I can easily check? Could it possibly be the turn signal stalk?

Thank you to anybody that can help!!

David
    I thought Tom was running 31s...
    Yesteday after lunch went to get in the Jeep and there were five guys standing around it talking about it. They had left the restaurant together just a moment before me. So I had a five minute question and answer session with them. The amazing thing is that this is fourth or fifth time something like that has happened since I bought it. Most men love Jeeps and kids adore them because they can readily identify them. What are the kids games in the car, Beep Jeep and Slug Bug?
    Do you have the Rubicon Unlimited Sahara? I love the khaki color too, was my first choice, seems a perfect color for a Jeep. The other color I always liked was the olive drab that the old Saharas used to come in. That was a really cool color. I'm surprised Jeep hasn't reintroduced it.

So another topic for discussion is what are your 3 favorite current colors for a Jeep?
    Mine would be kihaki, silver and black.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I have changed numerous bulbs. I replaced the light socket as it appeared one of the contacts on the existing socket was broken. Once I did this, the front flasher (on the grill) did not work. I took it out and cleaned the socket with electronic parts cleaner and reinserted the bulb. It then started working.
    After the side marker socket replacement and cleaning of the front turn signal everything worked fine for about a week..............................................................................Is there a switch/relay/gizmo that controls these things that I can easily check? Could it possibly be the turn signal stalk?

There's no reason that the problem should have suddenly jumped from the turn signal/side marker to the turn switch or one of the relays.

Unless you want to be cleaning the turn signal on a regular basis you should consider replacing it. Also check the ground connections for those two lights.
    For the record, the Old Tomster is running 31 x 10.50 tires on 15 X 8 AR 767 wheels that have 4" of backspacing.

The widest tire that can be run on stock wheels with the 5.5" backspacing is 10.50". This combination puts the inside of the rear tires very close to the spring perches, and a tire that is any wider than 10.50" would rub those perches. Up front, the problem is rubbing on the control arms when the wheels are turned all the way left or right. It is so close with the 5.5" backspacing on the wheels and the 10.50" tires that some people have to install washers behind their steering stops because of slight rubbing. It varies from Jeep to Jeep. Some need the washers and some don't.

If a guy wanted to stay with factory wheels and run a tire wider than 10.50", then he would need wheel spacers. These spacers go between the wheel and the hub and push the wheel outward from the frame.

Wheel spacers are controversial items, with many people refusing to use them for safety reasons. Put me down for one who does not believe it is wise to use them. I'm not an authority on the subject, but the idea using those puppies just doesn't sit well with me.

Tomster

Thought you had 33s :)

-Paul
    Well, after noticing some play in my new lift suspension, I crawled under the TJ last night with a flashlight to check the suspension in back. As I suspected, the C clips holding the OME shocks in place on the bar pin didn't stay in place. Instead of trying to put them back in and having them stay, I ordered some JKS Bar Pin Eliminators from Dirk Sanders at DPG Offroad. These can fit on OME shocks and will definitely keep them in place.

It will actually give me a TINY bit more travel on the shocks as well when flexing... so I'm optimistic that it will solve the wiggle issues. Those blocks are certainly stronger than a tin c-clip!

-Paul
    Ground sounds like a possible culprit. Is there somewhere out there that I can find the appropriate ground location(s). Remember, I am electrically stupid!!!!!

Thank you
    You can access the FSM online at AllData.

I don't know if the marker lights and turn signals on a YJ ground through a separate wire, or through the body panel that they're attached to. If it's by the latter, consider adding ground wires from the light housing back to a good ground under the hood.
    What is the FSM?

Thank you!
    Factory Service Manual

Click on the AllData link to find out more.
  • buckminster3buckminster3 Member Posts: 16
    Hey Chris,
    General consensus is right about the stickers, but there was actually a package that many of the Sports had. Of course, this was prior to the Rubicon, but when the TJ was still fairly new you could order the 30" tire and wheel package (still available) and a Dana 44 rear axle (in place of the old Dana 35). These were options for people who did plan to use the Jeep a little more vigorously off-road. Check on your axle type and ratio. If your original owner also got the 44 with the bigger wheels, you just got lucky! Of course, these days all Rubicons have 44's front and rear, and Unlimiteds come with a 44 in the back. But it's still an option on the other trim levels (except SE). Current pricing would run $670 for the wheels and another $310 for the D44. If optioned this way, you might also have the 3.73 ratio, rather than the 3.07. Sounds like a really good find.
    If the Jeep has the AAS package, then it has the Dana 44. The AAS package is the one I have talked about in here so much. SUPER BARGAIN! You get the 30" tires, the beautful Ravine wheels (used to be the Canyon wheels in the AAS package, but they changed to the Ravines), gas shocks, and the Dana 44 rear end. All of this for $670!! ( That package used to be $850. That's what I paid for it on my 01 Sport. It was a great bargain even then.)

You could get the Dana 44 separately from the AAS package also.

Tomster

I think Wranglers should be in colors to stand out from the crowd. Black is too mundane (though it looks good - our Sport is black. However, I had a real problem last year at Camp Jeep once when I forgot where I parked!). Silver also looks good, but also doesn't stand out enough (the dealership where I bought GiGi wanted to make sure I would buy her because the only colors they do sell are black and silver). I did like the OD green with tan top that was on the old Saharas (still do, as a matter of fact)

Current colors - I like khaki, green (either shade) and blue. Yellow and red are close seconds (my other half wouldn't agree - he hates red cars). I haven't seen the orange in person so don't have an opinion on it (it could go either way).
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    I went with Silver. Like how it looks. Seems long lived and timeless. Almost as if it were steel, with no color. Although far too many people look at her and think she's White.

-Mike
    Thanks Paul. That definately explained it for me. John
    Red, silver and OD. Keats MUST be doing research for school. Thanks to Paul and Tom for explaining spacers. To new Jeep owners-don't forget to use the "search" feature on this site . Its excellent for questions and information. Tom encouraged me to use it months ago and it has been invaluable. Go Easy, John
    *lol* John, I am I still one of those working stiffs...So we've had a few votes on the OD green, and what I don't get is when they came out with the Willys edition, even it wasn't OD green. It looked more like a dark metallic green. BTW, John, driver's door is STILL rattling.
  • 05rubisahara05rubisahara Member Posts: 25
    Color preferences. Mine use to be white or Forest Green as I bought a 2000 Sport in green. Since then, my preferences have changed to Khaki, white and silver. Hence I bought a 05 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara in Khaki in April. I have had several people comment that it is the best looking Jeep they have ever seen. Then again, I have also had numerous praises on my 2000 Sport in Forest Green. I suppose folks are just intrigued with Jeeps and deep down inside wish they were impractical enough to buy one and enjoy the fun. Of course.....I haven't seen too many ugly Jeeps.

Harlan :)
    Hey Keats. I thought you were in grad. school? I must be losing it. So you still have the rattle. I noticed that you did not call it a Squeak. I know that Squeaky probably does not sound right for a Rubicon but ------------. I also like the Khaki alot. Feel better? Go Easy, John
  • 05rubisahara05rubisahara Member Posts: 25
    I am sure most of the group have experienced this same problem. Unless constantly garaged, the fender flares tend to fade from black to gray. I actually had my dealer replace the faded ones with new just before the warranty expired. About a year later they were faded and ugly again. Getting ready spif up and sell my 2000 Sport and found a great product to use on the faded flares and bumper ends. It is called "Forever Black" from Quadratec and really works great. It comes in about a 4oz bottle with applicator and makes them look new again. wish I had found it long ago. My new Unlimited Rubicon Sahara came with the painted or color matching flares which I really like.

Harlan
  • scott919scott919 Member Posts: 17
    Another thing that works well on black trim work is made by Mothers, called Back to Black. Can get it a the auto parts store and I've seen it at my local wal-mart.