Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Thanks for the info.

Tomster

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Member Posts: 52
    I bought a silver Unlimited. Originally wanted the Patriot Blue, but now that I've got the silver, and added chrome bumpers... I really like it!

Scott

P.S. I'd like to show-off my pics, but don't know how... anyone got instructions on uploading pics?
    Scott:

Your pic has to be hosted on the Net somewhere, and it has to be hosted on a site that allows hot links, if you want the pic to show up as a picture and not just as a link to a picture.

When those conditions are met, then you click on the picture to blow it up from a thumbnail to it's regular size, assuming it shows up as a thumbnail on the host site. If it is already at regular size, or once you get it to regular size, then you can right click on it, and choose "properties" on he pull down menu. Then, go down to the "url," highlight it, and copy it.

Get back here to your post and when you are ready to make the pic show up, click on the "Img" button below the post window. In the field that pops up when you click on Img, paste the url of the pic, then hit "close all"

That oughta do it.

We have to be considerate of those with real slow connection speeds and try not to post pics with a huge file size, or post too many pics back to back, so that the page will time out before loads for those folks.

I'm anxious to see that puppy, so post away!

Tomster

• rankinhubrankinhub Member Posts: 19
    Yes, I was able to get my hands on one of the limited production Rubi Unlimited Sahara Special Editions... w/6-speed manual shift... very few of those were available on the East Coast... and all of which were in the khaki color scheme.

As far as my top three color preferences go, I'd vote for khaki, silver, and that bright yellow, although honestly there's not a bad color in the entire lineup.

Thanks Steve, Gary, Laura, and Tom for nice responses to my Jeep Kids story.

I thought maybe the Jeep Fever I had before actually having a Jeep would wear off once I got my Jeep...I know all of you said it only gets stronger and now I know what you mean. Each day holds that much more joy of owning my Jeep. I love bypassing heavy traffic on the main paved roads by blasting down (safely that is...just relative to the creep stop 'n go on the main roads) dirt roads to run my lunch time errands. I shaved off about 15 minutes on my usual Lowe's/Home Depot runs during lunch time by being able to go a more direct route at 55 mph down rough dirt roads (only a couple serious sections of washboard areas made my steering wheel jiggle...amazingly smooth riding!). I love my Jeep!!!
  • This movie is just over 2 Mb so only those with high-speed connections or a lot of patience will want to click on this link...You may want to maximize your Windows Media Player view to full-screen otherwise the view area is rather small...just a clip off our digital camera so not very large resolution capability.

1st Topless Jeep Ride
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Cool!!!
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Very Kool!!! Thanks for a peak at your family and their first topless ride. John
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I'm partial to green. My sedan and my Jeep are both green. :)

As for flare fading, the Forever black will help if they haven't faded too much. If they get really grey, forget it! You can paint them with Krylon Fusion (paint for plastic). Properly prepped/cleaned, the flares will hold the KF paint very well and flex with the plastic for a long time.

I just replaced mine with Omix OEM style replacements. They were nearly white I think. :)

-Paul
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I sure think short hair helps in the back seat! :) Priceless video seeing all those smiles back there and on the driver! I assume the cameraperson was smiling too! :)

Enjoy your Jeep! (Like THAT will be hard!)

-Paul
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Great clip! That clip did a great job of answering some people's question of "what is there about a Jeep?" Thanks for sharing it.
  • jescue1jescue1 Member Posts: 12
    My dealer had to go out of state to get my yellow Rubicon- My second favorite was the sienna burgandy 01 Sahara before it,but I think I am in the minority on that one.I like the khaki color a lot too.My least favorite is white,even though I had a white 98 Sahara-it was the only color available at the time and I could not wait-it was the start of a still strong Wrangler fever :)
  • randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    Well, I know there are many opinions on the use of bug deflectors (cosmetic, mostly)....however...since I'm SICK, and I hate bugs (did I say that before??), I went ahead and got a hood deflector. I dunno...don't think it looks too bad. I know...it probably won't work all that well, but psychologically, if it helps my OCD and I think it works.... :)

Anyway, here, finally, is eXcalibur! (I hope this link works!). Just added running boards and will be getting fog lights installed next week.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/1549000-1549999/1549605_2_full.jpg

FYI, it's been in the low to mid-90's here in Alabama this week, and have driven (both highway and city) top-down all week. No problems (with respect to my getting overly hot) except for those looong red lights!

And I can certainly verify that Wrangler's are true head-turners....I spend so much time waving back at fellow motorists and returning their shouted ("hey, that looks cool") comments, I need a third eye to watch traffic in front of me.

Thanks again for such an interesting and informative gathering place!

Randy & eXcalibur
  • ravagerravager Member Posts: 20
    Awesome pic!!
    An amazing thing will happen in a few years and it may be related to those smiley faces.

I can't explain it, but chores are being done. Dishes are washed. Supermarket runs are made and dinner is cooked by the time I come home from work. Today, three cd's with my favorite acoustic music were burned and set aside with my name and little hearts drawn on them.

Anyone have a clue?

signed,
    father of a newly licensed 16 year old daughter
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    Randy! You forgot to mention the flames (at least I don't think they're "factory") in your list of modifications. Nice looking Jeep, BTW!
    Gary
    Randy,
    That red is tight!

Anyways, I hear ya on the bug battle.

I sometimes wonder if the reason the jeep is engineered to have to refuel every 250 miles is because that is about the time my windshield is covered in bug goo.
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Yeah, am in Grad school too. I could call it the Rattler. Hey, saw you posting on JU the other day. Are you a South Park fan?
  • jstjst Member Posts: 8
    ..before you replace faded fender flares...suggest that you try 'Mother's Back to Black' first....my '99 Sport has always been parked outside...and had six summers of Middle Georgia heat without any fender flare treatment...flares were a brackish white....I used 'Mother's Back to Black'...it took several treatments, but they are now a deep black.....now I treat them once a week...

...auto parts stores and Wal Mart stocks 'Mother's Back to Black' here....

....one caution, the instructions state that you can't use their product on hot surfaces....I do mine at night...regards from Middle Georgia...
    once a week?

I'm way too lazy for that. What about just replacing the flares with metal ones? Anyone tried those or heard reviews?
    The only metal ones I'm aware of are tube fenders like these:

Posion Sypder
    Just one more, itsy-bitsy "mod" I forgot to include earlier...just for our College Station, Texas friends..... :P

Randy & eXcalibur

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/1549000-1549999/1549605_4_full.jpg
  • blue_jepp_wrablue_jepp_wra Member Posts: 24
    I think i might be stuck in 4 wheel drive how would i tell, the indicator isnt on in the cabin but when i was reversing my brother and his friend said my driveshaft was spinning up front I tried to search but couldnt find anything help would be great guys thanks
    Dan
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    Randy,
    All these hidden mods! This new picture does make me think my son (at A&M)could sell lots of these in College Station. Of course the longhorn would be a three-piece version with the horns sawed off! ;)

(I hope it's general knowledge about the fierce rivalry between the Longhorns of Texas and the Fightin' Texas Aggies of A&M. I still give my son a little bit of a hard time that their fight song focuses so much on University of Texas! Er - "Texas University", I guess!)

Terry - BTW, Chris (my son) is class of 2006. He absolutely loves it there and took a job doing programming so he could stay there this summer. We've learned a lot about the traditions through him; must say it's very impressive! I think my wife and I will attend Musters for the rest of our lives as well. Very moving.....)

Have fun this weekend, everyone!
    Gary
    Gary: A bit off the Wrangler topic, but when I moved to Tuscaloosa in '91, all I heard was the 'Bama and Auburn rivalry....um, hello? This is nothing compared to the Longhorn/Aggie tradition. I'm proud theirs is a civilized rivalry...recall the bonfire tragedy? Texas cancelled their pep rally in memoriam, and many respectful comments were made between the fan-bases.

(I love my Wrangler--just to keep a proper discussion, here). ;)

Although...I have an intense dislike for Franchione....he flat-out abandoned Alabama without so much as telling his players "good-bye". Great coach, no class...at least here in Tuscaloosa. :P :P :P He even makes Jackie Sherrell look good!

Randy and eXcalibur
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Four wheel drive is engaged at the transfer case by engaging the front propeller shaft. In two wheel drive the front prop shaft will still turn, but because it is being driven by the front diff, i.e. front wheels turn the half shafts, which turn the diff, which turns the prop shaft.
    Blue:

The front driveshaft turns on a TJ, even in two wheel drive. But, the wheels are turning the gears, instead of the gears making the wheels turn. The connection between the engine and the front axle is broken inside the transfer case when you are in two wheel drive.

For lots of other four wheel drive vehicles, including pre-TJ Jeeps, the front drive shaft does not turn in 2WD, but it does in the TJ's.

Tomster

• blue_jepp_wrablue_jepp_wra Member Posts: 24
    thanks for the info guys
  • myboybluemyboyblue Member Posts: 56
    I am looking into getting a winch. First off I am looking for functionality not pretty. Can I get a few opinions on what is good, will last, and what weight (2000,8000, 9000) do I need. I have the Warn Bumper, Winch Plate, and Grill Guard. I am not needing to match everything (but would look nice.) I also gave you this info encase you know if the brand you are referring to will mount to what I have.

Thanks everyone,
    Jamie
    Randy. Very nice Jeep. I have a red '03 but with red flares. The deflector looks fine. The JEEP on the side can be replaced with black by visiting a Graphic Arts business (if your interested). I took all the decals off the side of my Jeep and replaced them with a half sunburst (black) about an inch above the JEEP lettering (which I also did in black) The sunburst is the same length as the word JEEP. Between the sun and the spiked rays I left about a quarter inch clear so the red would show. I also removed all dealer decals. I love the red. Not sure about the flames but its all a personal choice. I saw a '59 Jeep today with 2x4's bolted to the hood. Very versatile vehicle. Another year and you will have so many dings that the bugs will not even be noticed. Have fun. John
    Great, my memory is not fading. Your a busy guy. Rattler is a great name. Whats that about the shoe fitting? Whats the present name? What is JU? I am a South Park fan but did not post anyplace else. Kenny never died in a Jeep!!!!!! Easy, John
    Jamie:

This is just opinion, but that's what you aked for, ain't it? :)

I would stick with Warn, and I would get a minimum of 8000 lb capacity.

Tomster

P.S. The best deals I have ever heard of on Warn winches came from winchdepot.com.
  • myboybluemyboyblue Member Posts: 56
    Thanks Tomster,

Just trying to get my girl ready for TB. She probable wont be ready till fall, but she is starting to look pretty good. I have seen you have posted a few pics. Is there somewhere on here that give you a step by step precidure on how to post pics?
    What you guys say about Coach Fran is the same thing Ole Miss fans say about Tommy Tubberville when he left for Auburn. My wife is an Ole Miss alumni and I thought we had a great game day tradition at OU, but man, they know how to party in Oxford. If you've never been to a game there, and more importantly, the party in the Grove, you're really missing out.
    John, there is someone with your handle, "Koolbreeze" over at Jeeps Unlimited and his avatar is from South Park. You know the site I mean?
    Today I finally learned about the impracticality of driving a Jeep. My wife was coming back from picking up our son and his friend from a 2 week summer camp in our 2004 Grand Cherokee. She got into town and stopped at the ATM and when she got back in the car, the key wouldn't turn in the ignition. So, she called me and I drove over, thinking we just needed to do the steering wheel trick. Nothing worked. Called Chrysler, did what they asked and nothing worked. Had to tow the Grand Cherokee to the dealership, but had to leave all of their luggage in it, since it would not begin to fit in my Rubicon with the four of us. Luggage hasn't been an issue since I've had it, because I never travel in it.
    "Just trying to get my girl ready for TB. She probable wont be ready till fall, but she is starting to look pretty good. I have seen you have posted a few pics. Is there somewhere on here that give you a step by step precidure on how to post pics?"

Jamie:

Guess you missed it, but post 18,233 tells ya how to post pics.

Tomster

• rpinks_99rpinks_99 Member Posts: 6
    John: Thanks for the comments. The description of your JEEP lettering is really interesting. Would love to see a picture if/when you can.

I laughingly told my salesperson that unless he wanted to pay me for advertising, that my Jeep, upon delivery, better not have any decals/logos on it. Surprise, surprise, surprise....there, right above the left rear taillight, was their logo. Apparently it had just recently been added, and (the poor) salesman sheepishly pulled it off under my critical, watchful eyes. I also hate anything of a non-personal item on my vehicles....especially....

BUGS! (did I mention I hate them???)

My eXcalibur...dings in another year? Help me I hope not. I've been known to drive around the block to avoid a water sprinkler that's wetting the road....I hear the voices in the forum now saying; "and he bought a Jeep"??? I know, I know....I promise I'll take it off-road...someday...um, maybe.

2x4's bolted to a hood? Yep, that's versatile, but I'm only imagining they're used as a cargo rack? The things I learn here! :)

Randy
  • rpinks_99rpinks_99 Member Posts: 6
    That seems to be one of life's little tricks played on us from time to time; learning the hard way about little things that didn't come to mind earlier. When I got my (former) Ranger P/U several years ago, my wife and I went to an antique mall about 150 miles from home. Never ONCE thinking about taking along a tarp in case it....rained. Which it did. In torrents. So much for the upholstery on the Queen Anne chair...and the other stuff that got soaked. Groan....

Can't tell you how many times, back in my motorcycle days, I left for day trips with no rain gear in my saddlebags. As if the first time it happened didn't teach me a lesson.

Hope the Grand Cherokee's problem wasn't too severe.

Randy
    Randy,

I don't think it's that crazy. Cars are expensive and should be cared for accordingly.

I'm with you and John on the dealership decals. I peeled them off at soon as I got home. I also removed the dealership license plate holder. When I went back to pick up my vehicle tag, the guy tried to put another one on! And Wranglers come with one already!
  • karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    ... I've been calling/visiting several tire shops in my area, and it seems none are willing to except my GSA's for a trade-in. Most shops flatly state, "we don't buy tires", while a few said they only buy tires if they have 300 miles or less on them. Mine currently have 800.

Has anyone traded in their GSA's with 800 (or more) miles on them?? How much did you get?? And what Tire shop bought them from you (I'm in Chicagoland area.. so if its a local place outside of that area, that won't help) I want to switch them out with some 31x10.5 BFG A/T's, but I would hate to get absolutely nothing for tires that just have 800 miles on them. Help!

Also, so far I have been quoted at around $130/tire, and I've read some people getting all 4 changed and realigned for around $375??
  • karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    ...sorry to post 2 in a row, but I need to get rid of the nasty, gawdy dealership decal they placed above my left taillight. It seems its on there pretty good. Any tips on getting it off? I remember reading about hair dryers.. does that really work? I want to get it off before it affects the paint job... thanks again!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's some info in the archives:

Badge/emblem removal techniques

Steve, Host
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Funny, I think the dealer decals and emblems are a regional thing. They were on every car back in New England, but out here in L.A. dealers by and large don't do that. At most, they slap on a dealership plate holder, and in the case of the TJ they provided a dealership tire cover. Both of which I promptly discarded.

-Mike
    "Hey everyone! Took Thelma today to have some 31 inch tires put on her. I got the 31 x 10.5 BF Goodrich All Terrain TA's, like old Tonkadave did.

I couldn't believe the deal they gave me, and I jumped all over it. It was going to be $641 for five new tires, mounted, balanced, and tax included. I was ready to forget it, but I went to the tire store to let them see what they could allow me on Thelma's 30's for trade in.

The spare was new, and they gave me $95 for it. The four that were on Thelma had 10,500+ miles on them, and they gave me $83 apiece on them!

Bottom line, I got five new 31 x 10.50 BF Goodrich All Terrain TA's mounted, balanced, and tax included for $188.63."

Karl:

Can you believe that deal??? Well, when I decided that I wanted mud tires instead of all terrain, I went back there and got a super deal again, but not as good as this one.

My tire salesman said the other day that they have been told that they cannot give those huge trade-in allowances any more. So, even at that place, I guess I could never come close to getting such good deals again.

Good luck. You are attempting to get yourself a really, really good tire. If I didn't do so much off roading, I would have stayed with those BFG AT's. They are great tires.

Tomster

Keats, must be someone else. I don't know the site. How do I get into it? Is it all Jeep related? John
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Karl, I was able to get the BFG ATs for abour $108 a tire (in CT).
    They were "on sale" and I recieved 5% off each tire because of where I work.

The dealer gave me a little over $100 for my GSA spare that never touched the ground. I basically got a 5th (spare) for free. The rest of my tires were shot.

-Dan
  • margfmargf Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new to the forum. Yesterday I traded in my beloved '91 Wrangler YJ for a new Unlimited that won't be delivered for a couple of days. The only real reason for the trade was that my YJ doesn't have air and we're facing a summer of 100deg. temps. I can't do another one like this! The dealer gave me a loaner, a Sport, to drive until my Unlimited is ready. I've spent the past 18 hours trying to talk myself out of cancelling the whole deal. The outside is okay -- not great, just okay. The inside looks like they've tried to make a car out of the model! The cockpit is so cramped and poorly designed that I'm pretty much going to have to gut the whole interior to make it acceptable. The seat slopes backward and is so low that it pinched a nerve in my thigh and I was in agony by the time I got home. I can barely see over the dash. The molded crap on the door is so intrusive that I have a bruise on my elbow (okay, partly due to a little temper outflare). There's no way I'm keeping the airbags -- if they ever deploy they'll kill me because the steering wheel is two inches from my neck. Besides, if you check the stats they don't do anything (positive) anyway; only "save" (a calculated estimate) those people who are too stupid or lazy to put on their seat belts. My knees are not quite but nearly jammed against that molded plastic that extends down the whole front of the driver's cockpit. I checked -- there's very little back there and nothing will be lost if I just remove it and fabricate a far smaller covering from fiberglass. The console is a joke. The windshield is no longer vertical but slopes backward.

I do like the tilt of the seat to access the back, but I won't be carrying passengers, so the whole rear seat will go into storage permanently. I also like the intermittent wipers. All I wanted was manual transmission, a hardtop and air conditioning, in that order, but by looking so late in the season I was stuck with a convenience package I didn't want. Most of that is frivolous, but the security part is good.

I'm sorry to make my first post such a rant; I'm just so profoundly disappointed in Chrysler for doing this to the Wrangler! I've looked at several other vehicles, and frankly this was just the best of an extremely bad lot that's out there. In order to make it acceptable to me I'm going to have to do some extensive modifications to my brand new Jeep. I want my old Jeep back!!!
    I will post a picture when I figure out how to do it. Yup, the 2x4's were for cargo.Try easy dirt roads first. That will give you a taste. What state are you in? Do you have acess to dirt roads? John
    You should be able to simply peel it off with your fingernail on a nice hot day. Just experiment with one of the letters first. Be careful with the hairdryer. Just go easy with it if you use it. J
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I won't try to argue the various points you raise as you seem pretty convinced of your point of view (damn those wretched air bags! :mad: ). I'm really not sure how you managed to do this deal without being aware of the changes to the Wrangler in the last fourteen years, but I really think you should do what you can to undo it.

I don't see you ever being happy with the Unlimited given your requirements but....................wait a minute, my 'other' vehicle would be perfect for you. Six way adjustable seats, excellent a/c, no airbags, truly vertical windshield, you can rest your elbow on the door when the window is down, no problem seeing over the dash, and it definitely doesn't look like a car. Oh, but you need a manual so I guess you won't be getting an H1 after all. ;)