Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Infinti Q50 Sedan

ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
edited July 2014 in INFINITI
Next week at the Detroit Auto Show we will see the totally new 2014 Q50 Sedan prototype, formally known as the G37. It should be interesting!

For Infiniti's new naming/nomenclature system refer to this link:(http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/17/infiniti-queues-up-questionable-q-and-q- - x-naming-scheme/ )

For Q50 spy shots/teaser refer to this link:(http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/28/infiniti-teases-g-replacing-q50-ahead-o- - f-detroit-debut/ )

Jake

Comments

• ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    edited January 2013
    Looks like it's going to cause a stir at the Detroit show! Couldn't get those links to work, ushy66, but I found these in our Car News section:
    2014 Infiniti Q50 Teased Ahead of 2013 Detroit Auto Show
    Infiniti Announces New Naming Scheme for all 2014 Models

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    Thanks claires!

Also, try this link:http://www.autoblog.com/tag/q50/

Jake
  • romil01romil01 Member Posts: 75
    Infiniti Canada accidentally leaked the images of the car:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2013/01/this-is-all-new-infiniti-q50-sports.html
  • ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    edited January 2013
    And More, including Q50 Hybrid-

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/14/2014-infinti-q50-detroit-2013/

Claire S, our Host, perhaps we should use a different Forum title, Q50?

Jake
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    edited January 2013
    I have been reading (mostly elsewhere) the cry of foul ball with respect to the new Q50's (previously known as G37) name, the dropping of the manual transmission option and the continuation of the 3.7L "rattletrap" engine. I also read that it is a shame that the auto transmission (7spd) is unfortunate -- Infiniti should have, in other words, come up with an 8 or 9 speed version.

Wow!

The available optics and words pertaining to the new Q50 make it look good (better than the outgoing model by far), appear to advance the G37 by a wide margin and so on -- it's all goood, far as I can see and read.

The new pres of Infiniti is a 19 year Audi veteran. Perhaps it was his idea to rationalize the names of the cars as Audi did when it came up with the A3, A4, A5, A6, A7 and A8. And Audi cars do use Q5 and Q7, S4, RS6, etc to mean certain things -- and there is no direct way to tell from the name, A6 for instance, what the displacement of the engine is.

Sure, BMW does, mostly, conform to a designation that mostly allows the casual observer to see 328 and know that a 328 has a smaller engine than a 335. Indeed, the engine in L is suggested by the numbers following the model "3".

So?

I actually have more problem with the notion of a Q50 and a QXsomething -- where X is used to proclaim AWD (I guess). But a Q50 can be either RWD or AWD and I imagine there will be no naming like Q50X.

This change to the naming convention is a step in the right direction -- I guess some folks would have rather seen the name be Q37 and have the 37 actually have some meaning in liters as to the displacement of the engine.

I'm fine with rationalizing the naming and don't need the name Q50 to be any more descriptive than A4 is in an Audi or S60 is in a Volvo and so forth.

As for the dropping of the stick shift -- this was clearly in response to the market's lack of interest in actually purchasing them. Cadillac (and Buick) can offer all the manual transmissions they want, in their line-ups; the uptake, based on published numbers rarely reached 3% -- and once automatics started offering 6 and more speed autos, the market for manuals just continues to be eroded due to consumer apathy in that regard.

When I asked the 10th largest BMW dealer why he had hundreds and hundreds of cars on the lot and on boats and trucks coming soon to his dealership and virtually none of them were stick shifts, he replied: "I'd love to inventory stick transmission cars -- but the carrying costs would kill me, the cars sit on the lots for months and months with no takers. But, hey, I'll order one if someone would actually place one on order -- that too, very rarely happens."

The Audi dealer says esentially the same thing and further carries it to colors. Audi has a color called Imola Yellow -- it is really cool looking in brochures, but put one on the lot or on the showroom floor and the only way to move it (and it must be moved eventually) is to discount the crap out of it. Same goes for that Pearl Red A6 -- it is still unsold. Imagine a brand new 2011 A6, now discounted $12,000 and it still sits.

The point is, the number of folks who will pony up for a stick car is statistically so small as to be insignificant -- and dealers are in the business of selling cars, not showrooming them for grins. If a sufficient number of protests (with checks attached) comes in to Infiniti, I would assume manual transmissions will be, once again, offered.

Now to the rattletrap 3.7 engine. I assume the 3.7 engine isn't REALLY a rattletrap. I have read and understand that this engine tends to thrash as it approaches full-cry and is nearing its red-line. OK, that may be true (probably is for that matter), and that same critique cannot be ascribed to a BMW 6-cylinder engine (and I assume that is the case).

My wife has a 2011 FX35 -- and when it is in for service we are almost always provided with a "something" 37 vehicle (M37 or G37 or EX37) -- and yes I have given these loaners (and our own) full throttle and let the tach go as far as the needle goes before the auto trans upshifts. The engine does "make noise" near redline at WOT. It is, however, not lacking in smoothness, it does not rattle. It just seems "busier" than a comparable 3+L BMW or Audi motor. But, overall, the Infiniti seems to eternally come in at a price that is thousands less than an equally contented German. So, I cut it some slack for making a bit less pleasing sound at full-cry than a more expensive (but not more motivating) German model.

With respect to the transmission, sure 8 or more speeds ought to be an improvement -- but much of the competition is still offering 6 speed autos, so perhaps good is the enemy of great, especially when you consider that a 7 speed transmission is still more cogs than most cars for sale on the planet. I have no doubt we'll soon be seeing more speeds -- hopefully before Cadillac gets around to offering its vehicles with more than 6 speeds.

I see what Infiniti has done is to take a couple of steps closer to being a totallly believable alternative to Audi, BMW and Merceces -- within the same or similar class of automobile. Infiniti has no A8 or 7 Series rival. The Infiniti family (of sedans) seems happy to compete with the A4 3 series and C class (with the new Q50) and happy to compete with the A6, 5 series and E class with what is currently called an "M" Infiniti model.

I see no other car line from Japan at least that is working on rationalizing the look of their cars (although Acura and Lexus do seem to want to do this) and the naming convention of their cars. Infiniti is or will soon get a dose of whatever its new president, Johan de Nysschen, learned after being with Audi for 19 years.

I think all of the things Infiniti is doing or has announced it will do, will be good for the brand -- brand equity will build and strengthen as a result of these changes.

Infiniti may, this time, actually produce something that will give the Germans pause and a good reason to look over their shoulders as Infiniti gains on them.

This is a good thing for all car lovers -- even if you don't particularly agree with Infiniti's decisions as embodied by the newly announced Q50.

I can't wait to see what's next. :shades:
  • knr5knr5 Member Posts: 85
    I will be leaving the Infiniti family reluctantly. I have always owned stick shift cars, except a 1988 Sable Wagon that I bought to accommodate two kids and four adults for a short time. In fact, all members of my immediate family own and drive manuals. I do because I like to be engaged in the driving process. I am also fortunate that I do not live in gridlock central as many do in large cities, so I am able to indulge my preference. My last five cars (1990 Honda Accord, 1993 Toyota Camry V6 SE, 1998 Nissan Maxima SE, 2003 Infiniti G35, and my present ride 2006 Infiniti G35 Sport) have all given me great service. But, in almost every case, I made a change in brand because it was getting harder (or impossible) to get a suitable stick-shift. So, it seems, it will be with Infiniti as well.
    So, goodbye Infiniti! It has been nice knowing you!
  • buyabuya Member Posts: 74
    So you are saying the Infinity G37 is not loud at full throttle? It is comparable with BMW but little shy on comparison with BMW 6-cyl? I was at a BMW dealership last week and almost bought a 328. I am not buying expensive transportation vehicles. LOL, mom had her checkbook out thinking I would say "I like that car." I've dragged on too long to buy a car!

IMHO Nissan 2013 Altima 2.5 is a decent car at test drive and I believe G37 would be a good performer too. Have you owned an Infinity long enough pass warranty to say it is a good car that didn't give you problems? Is the 2014 Q50 promised to be improved on the G37? I just read that mpg is going to be better.

I've been reading car mags and checking forums on edmunds to see which inexpensive vehicle is reliable and with muscles. Seems like all makes and models have some kinks to work out, whatever price range they are in. Is Infinity a car to worry about water pumps? Did you find Infinity electrical and electronic things problem-free?

Thanks.
    I have had two Infiniti G35s (2003 and 2006) over the past ten years - very reliable. See Consumer Reports ratings. These are compelling values in their class (sport sedans). I am very disappointed they are no longer (apparently) offering manual transmissions. If I did not care about MT, the new Q would be a no-brainer for me.
    I generally agree with your comments. The Q50 looks fantastic. However, Infiniti should have kept the MT option alive for the 3%!:) It could have been made available only (or mostly) by order. It would have been valued by persons (like me) who are able to indulge their preference for MT because they do not deal with traffic gridlock all the time.
    In my case I have moved on -- traded-in my 2006 G35 for a 2013 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT (sorry about the alphabet assault) just a few days ago. In so doing I also moved from a sport sedan to somewhat of a grand tourer which is fine by me -- the Acura is sporty enough and has greater creature comforts.
  • billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    A very prudent and sophisticated move- well done Knr5.
  • pjt6970pjt6970 Member Posts: 38
    Anyone know when they hit the showroom floor?
  • newcarmannewcarman Member Posts: 55
    Hey
    I spoke to a salesman at an infinit dealer the other day and he told me that it should be in the dealerships late summer

Im dissapointed thought they would be early summer
  • rhard49rhard49 Member Posts: 226
    I went to an unveiling of the q50 at a Long Island dealership 2 nights ago. I have to say the pictures don't do it justice. I thought from pictures that the front and rear were different but the overall exterior wasn't that different, but it was really nice, it lost a lot of the rolled bubble look the G & M have and I was really impressed by its looks. They confirmed the end of summer intro. The car also had a plaque on it claiming it was a preproduction model.
  • newcarmannewcarman Member Posts: 55
    The other thing that im disappointed with with the new Q50 is the pricing

I cant believe that you cant get what you want in it for around 42000$ It seems like it jumps to around 50000$ compared to the 2013
    Maybe im wrong and i hope they change the pricing with the options If you get 1 option then the other one has to come with it and that annoys me and thats what jacks up the pricing
  • tucsongmantucsongman Member Posts: 2
    My 2011 G37S lease is up Feb 2014 and I'm already scouting out my next car - for me the research is half the fun! I've seen the new Q50's at my local dealer but haven't driven one yet. I like the new styling and most of what I hear - what kind of deals are people getting? And how are you liking your car?
  • rxkerxke Member Posts: 168
    HI all
    I am going to lease an Infiniti Q50 Premium AWD with Nav. 39 months/12K per year.
    MSRP $43,855/invoice $40,416. Does anyone know the residual value and money factor for this car in NY?
    Thanks
    Hi We are replacing our G37AWD with a Q50. We test drove the new Q50 Premium AWD and the Hybrid version of the same car. Both cars were nice to drive but we preferred the non hybrid version because it felt sportier. The hybrid's battery takes up room in the trunk and cost about $3000 more. It takes about 6 years to make the hybrid extra cost pay out. We will be getting the Premium AWD with Nav the end of this month (August or early Sept). Dealers generally are not very negotiable when a car first comes out but since we have gotten a few Infiniti's from this same dealer in NY they are giving us $1600 off MSRP.
  • tucsongmantucsongman Member Posts: 2
    Yeah I don't see me getting the hybrid either. As you mentioned, I don't see the cost pay-off and I like having trunk space for the occasional road trip, though the extra torque sounds promising....

Just curious as I have the G37 Sport version now - did you drive the Sport or are you just not interested? From what I've seen in the pro reviews it's supposed to have the better drive.

Re the price, I'm glad I have 4-6 months to make up my mind and plan to drive a few competing models. I suspect the demand may not be great and reasonable deals will start surfacing within a few months despite being a new model, though the salesmen will work that angle for all its worth...

Shop the dealers and good luck!
    I think that the sport version will give you a tighter ride so it will probably handle better and might be a little faster. I think it also gets better brakes and sports seats which I are very comfortable. For us we felt that the regular awd version was fine for my wife's needs. It is a very pretty car.
  • fatcat71fatcat71 Member Posts: 75
    I test drove the car yesterday in Western CT. It was a Sport model with all available options. (Nav,tech,premium,) Infiniti has done well with this car. I looked at the G series before getting my last car (11 E350 4matic) but it had too much road noise and looked like a bubble on wheels. This car is much sleeker in design while manginally (1-2 inches) longer then the G37. With the 19" wheels it is quite impressive. However, at the end of the day it all comes down to cost and there is no negotiating for a car that just came out and they would only give me 1K below MSRP, while I was able to get my last E 350 for about 2-3K under invoice (After conquest and USAA discounts). Unless they agree to come down a bit more, I cant see paying 700+ a month for this car, no matter how nice it looks. (putting money down on a lease is like taking insurance at a blackjack table) I can get into a new E350 or BMW 5 series for that much, and they will be bigger and more luxiourios then the Q.
  • hoborayhoboray Member Posts: 16
    Fatcat71 - I have to agree with your last sentence. I've seen the exterior in person but not sat inside, let alone driven, but I can't see spending that much money on a Q50. You're talking 535 or GS350 money whereas in my head it should be more like 335 or IS350 money. The money factors, residuals and selling prices are not favorable so until all of this changes, I'll be staying away.

For what it's worth, I have a 2012 G37 that I pay $325/mo leased, no money down (other than first payment). We're talking double that for a Q50. Infiniti just sent me a flyer saying I could lease a 2013 for $299/mo with $2k or so down, which translates into nothing down if I work the dealer some. So...is a Q50 2 times better than a G37? I'm just not seeing it.
    Inifiniti is offering a $1000 loyalty discount on top of any other discounts the dealer is giving. Negotiate your best dealer and than get the additional $1000 off
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited August 2013
    Can anyone who owns one speak to how they feel about it?
  • bcvc71_libcvc71_li Member Posts: 51
    Dear kyfdx: do you know what the November residuals and money factors are for 12 mos and 36 mos with 15,000 miles for a Q50 AWD Premium? Thanks.

-BCVC