Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

The Current State of the US Auto Market

Comments

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    speaking of sheet metal, I forgive some of the heavy weight of Audi's because the sheet metal isn't tin foil like (such as on the Mazda 3's in comparison). When you are used to real sheet metal, others can seem very foil like.

Sorry to hear about your RAM having issues; guess you didn't get a ringer this time.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    I haven't kept up lately, but are Audis really all that heavy, for their size? I was always under the impression that Audi used more high-tech alloys and such to keep weight down a bit?

As for my Ram, who knows? Maybe it's just having teething problems? The first time it stalled out, I was hoping it was just a fluke. But, if it did it a second time, I'm sure it'll do it again. Oh, and a few weeks back, it pulled a stunt where it stayed stuck in 4th gear and wouldn't shift up or down. Even a Hemi has no power when it has to move out from a dead stop in 4th gear! Luckily, that old IT barb "Have you tried turning it off and on again" rang true here, and doing so reset it and I never had that problem again.

Maybe it just needs a re-flash or something, to clear out some bad codes or something? Hopefully, it doesn't turn into the reincarnation of your Neon! :-P
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Sorry to hear about your new vehicle hassles. It's got to be frustrating after you hear about the improving car reliability to experience this stuff. What I find kind of ironic is that you always hear about the rugged reliability of old fashion American RWD V8's, yet most people I know that have newer vehicle problems seem to experience it on pick-up trucks and big SUV's. You're probably right about the reflash, but how many "cannot duplicate" trips to the dealer are you expecting before they fix it. Ugh!
    You're probably right about the reflash, but how many "cannot duplicate" trips to the dealer are you expecting before they fix it. Ugh!

Same as the number of licks it gets to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie pop. Either the third time is a charm, or, "the world may never know..."
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Hate to say it, but I'm starting to lose my faith in Chrysler, as well.

No offense, but what is surprising is that you had a significant faith in Chrysler at all.

We all seem to like what we grew up with. For me it was VW, but the world of good cars was too big. I've tried German, US, and Japanese cars of many makes. It's great to get perspective in the only way you can - by owning different brands.

Give some others a try!
    No offense, but what is surprising is that you had a significant faith in Chrysler at all.

Ditto from me. I think it's been shown beyond a reasonable doubt that reliable Chrysler's are like finding a needle in a haystack. If you got one in the past, then the chances of hitting the lottery again for a second time are even lower than the first time.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Yes and NO on Audi's being heavy. Like all manufacturers, Audi's seem to keep getting bigger and bigger and heavier and heavier; though that trend seems to be reversing, and Audi does a better job than most any manufacturer at keeping its cars lean (but I'd still give them a C-).

For instance, a TL-SH AWD is about 200 lbs heavier than an S4. However, the TL is a bigger car, and Acura does a decent job of keeping things light too.

Fully loaded, you can get the TL AWD up to about 4,000 lbs. with every option checked.

Audi's use decently thick sheet metal, and the cars are built like bank vaults, both for handling rigidity and for having tank like strength in an accident (should one ever occur). They do use extensive lightweight materials, particularly aluminum to make up for that. The AWD Quattro is a weight penalty too.

My A3 with a 2.0T weighs almost as much (just about a tie) as my Accord Coupe V6 3.0 did.
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    edited August 2013
    No surprise here. From a UK study: What is really entertaining are the comments of the BMW drivers themselves....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2390373/BMW-drivers-really-aggressive-dr- - ivers-prone-road-rage-wheel.html
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,094
    Hmmm, Audi drivers too? ;)

Seems like the 'tone' of posters here rings some of this survey to be true, too.

Did they mention New Jersey in the survey, though? ;)
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Seems like the 'tone' of posters here rings some of this survey to be true, too.

Looking in the mirror?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Ah, the great Zen question: Do certain cars make people jerks or were they jerks before they purchased them?
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    edited August 2013
    About 8 years ago, I was almost run off the road by a Jackhole redneck in a Chevy Avalanche and then after getting him to pull over, I was told that my Chinese car (at the time, Honda Accord, built in Ohio...) didn't belong on the roads of "Murica"...

There are jerks driving all makes. Stereotyping one group of owners is idiotic IMO.

But then again, the article mentions a study done in the UK and this topic is "State of the US market" so...
    Looks like emotorcondylitus is still infecting edmunds.com!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Stereotyping one group of owners is idiotic IMO.

But it's so much fun!!

BTW - what's the difference between a BMW driver and a porcupine?
    Please don't post that answer.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I didn't and won't.
    As an Audi driver, I can say I've gone over 103,000 miles in it without ever causing an accident in it.

Can't say the same about the La Mesa PD officer on a Harley that ruined my back bumper supposedly chasing some red light runner (I wasn't moving at the time he collided with me by rear ending me) I'm sure he had the same low skill driving capability of the CHP officer who couldn't remember to put it in neutral and killed his family in a Lexus.
    Ah, the great Zen question: Do certain cars make people jerks or were they jerks before they purchased them?

I think it just depends on the person. Some people are going to be jerks no matter what they drive, but other people may change their habits, depending on what they're driving.

For instance, one of my friends used to have a 1998 Tracker convertible, which was horribly slow. I used to have an '89 Gran Fury ex-police car, and I held onto it for a few years after I bought my 2000 Intrepid, just to keep around as a spare car. Well, I let my friend drive it sometimes when his Tracker went in the shop (it went through transmission issues roughly every 20K miles). He said he liked driving it because of the extra power, and he liked how people got out of his way.

So yeah, sometimes the car *can* change the person! Today he drives a 2006 Xterra, which has a LOT more power than that Gran Fury did, let alone his old Tracker. His driving habits changed alot since he got it, too. He tends to take off a lot faster, and drive faster, simply because it's a more capable vehicle. But, I notice he tends to brake faster, and tailgate a bit more than he used to.

And sometimes, if the car is smoother and quieter, it might make you drive faster, simply because it doesn't *feel* fast. I remember the day I brought my '79 New Yorker home from Pennsylvania, and my friend followed in his Xterra. At one point, he called me and wanted to know why I was driving 80 mph. I said I'm not...I'm only doing about 68. And he said NO, you're doing EIGHTY!

Oops, it turns out, the speedometer really was off by about that much! And, to paraphrase Chevy Chase, "It sure didn't feel like it, did it honey?" :-P
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Full disclosure: I own 3 BMW products...

From what I've seen, I pretty much agree with the article, although from my experience, color really doesn't seem to matter much.

Here's the question I'd like to know the answer to... Of the aggressive BMW driver segment, how many bought their BMW new .vs. used?

Again, from my experience, by far the majority of aggressive BMW drivers NEVER buy their car new. Add to that (again, my perception) this group seems to be populated with the ones that gripe and complain the loudest when they have mechanical issues with their cars.

Just my opinion...
    edited August 2013
    " I'm sure he had the same low skill driving capability of the CHP officer who couldn't remember to put it in neutral and killed his family in a Lexus."

Toyota agreed to pay about $1.1 billion to settle a class-action lawsuit stemming from complaints of unintended acceleration in its vehicles. The complaints to NHTSA for "speed control" problems with Toyotas are 10x almost any other manufacturer.

That particular well publicized incident resulted in another undisclosed certainly substantial settlement to the officer's family. I wouldn't cast aspersions on the driver or the passengers who are all dead.

"As an Audi driver, I can say I've gone over 103,000 miles in it without ever causing an accident in it. "

WOW! That's amazing. I'm sure most people cause accidents every few thousand miles. A gold star for your bumper....
    edited August 2013
    Fault in Toyota electronics was never proven by anyone, anywhere at any time. The settlement was to compensate owners for possible loss of resale value from the bad PR.

Cause of these accidents remains undetermined.
    edited August 2013
    This was copied from a report about some Toyota documents leaked by insiders. There is actually quite a bit of evidence that SUA is electronic. From the report:

"Another document is a Technical Field Report from Toyota’s Cyprus dealer written in January 2009. The dealer pleads: “… Engine revs stick at 6000 rpm without any reason. This issue occurs without any warning and at random cases. … (there were) two big car accidents in which the drivers miraculously escaped injuries. … the vehicle accelerated in an uncontrolled manner … more than 5 times … the Accelerator Sensor Assembly was replaced. … This issue could cost lives!!”
    In another communication, a driver reported a Tundra zooming to 80 miles per hour, uncommanded, with ineffective brakes. When the truck was fixed, the technician noted, “short (circuit), insulation defective,” and replaced the gas pedal sensor assembly. The same document lists 547 pedal position electronic sensor assemblies that were replaced to fix speed control malfunctions that had been attributed to a mechanical “sticky pedal.”
    Japan engineers also noted or investigated many varied electronics-related causes of UA and speed control issues. They include short circuits in the pedal position sensor, cruise control, poor wiring connectors, electromagnetic interference (EMI), and voltage irregularities. Numerous times throughout the documents, the electronic Engine Computer Unit (ECU) is mentioned as a possible cause for vehicle behavior that they could not understand.
    Another document shows that Toyota investigated speed control issues in the car of Crown Prince Naruhito in 2008, and admitted the cause was the endless problems with the ETCS’s many components.
    In spite of all of the internal discussions about electronics, Toyota stuck with its public story through its PR campaigns, advertising, sworn testimony and in its recalls, that UA is caused by floor mats and sticky pedals.
    When evidence surfaced that there were other, electrical-related causes, and independent experts advanced plausible theories, Toyota never changed its public story. In several cases Toyota representatives disparaged these experts and even sued."

This and other evidence is the reason why Toyota is settling these cases. There are still around 200 UA lawsuits pending. Not one will go to trial because the evidence will come out. Ever hear "Cover-Up"?
    edited August 2013
    As well they should sue. All this smacks of conjecture and sensationalism and extortion.

Conspiracy theories go on forever, because they are based on speculation. They are not evidence-based allegations. There's "someone in Cyprus" and an "engineer" but the truth is....nobody knows and nobody has proven anything.

When looking for answers, first look to the most obvious, or as they say in medical school, "when you are in Texas and you hear hoofbeats, think HORSES! or CATTLE!...not Zebras!"
    I actually heard the 911 tapes, no one said anything about trying something as mundane, elementary, and simple as putting the car in Neutral. I stand by my statement.

No one, not even NASA has proved any gremlins or issues with Toyota's electrical systems. Toyota paid out in this particular case because the dealership put in the wrong floor mats, but again, neutral solves that.

There has not been one documented case where the engine can overpower the brakes if driven properly.

Is it possible? Sure, anything is possible, but that still doesnt mean you have a right not to do something as simple as shifting to N or turning the ignition off (turn key or hold start button 3 seconds).
    If someone was truly hurt by a faulty electrical component, they wouldn't "settle" They'd take it to court to let it see the light of day. If they take the money "settling" they were in it for the money.
    I still find it amazing that all this was caused by floor mats. In any of my cars, I could stack several on top of each other and not touch the gas pedal.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    Some of my old cars ('57 DeSoto, '67 Catalina, '85 LeSabre), the gas pedal was actually hinged on the bottom, at the floor. So it would be really easy for the mat to slide up over the pedal. But still, that's not going to jam it down.

The mat in the Catalina, a cheap rubber one, would always stay in place, but I remember on Grandmom's LeSabre, that mat was constantly sliding forward, over the gas pedal, but at the same time bunching up under the brake pedal.

It seemed more annoying than dangerous, though, as it wouldn't jam the gas pedal down, and if you hit the brakes, the pedal would still go down despite the bunched up mat behind it.

With that Lexus that burst into flames, didn't they have some kind of all-weather mats in the car, that had the extra thick lip around the edges?
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    IIRC, the dealer put in floor mats from a Lexus RX (The car was an ES that crashed).

It was also found that a lot of the drivers who actually crashed had mistaken the gas pedal for the brake pedal.

Still didn't stop a GM dealer near me from putting a wrecked Prius up on a 3 story ramp outside the dealership with a big sign "How safe do you feel?" on it and ads running for extra conquest cash if you traded a Toyota...
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    The gas pedal on my 1989 Cadillac Brougham is also hinged on the bottom.
    Well we kinda did the UA discussion to death in another topic so maybe we'd better swing back to the U.S. market.

Of course, there is some relevance in that once media sharks get an automaker by the ankle, it can really damage them.

It's like "trial by media" for automakers.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    edited August 2013
    The problem isn't with the factory floor mats IIRC. It is with thick aftermarket floor mats installed by dealer and/or the customers.

FWIW, my brother had a thick aftermarket floor mat in his Nissan Sentra Spec V several years ago. He was driving it aggressively one night and the gas pedal got lodged in the floor mat and was stuck 3/4 of the way down. He simply pushed in the clutch and let the engine bounce off the rev limiter (which avoided a UIA case).

He threw out the floor mats that night.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    and ads running for extra conquest cash if you traded a Toyota

Seems to me they were sending a mixed message. On one hand they wanted to diminish the value of owning a Toyota by suggesting (quite blatantly in fact) that it isn't safe, but on the other hand, by offering conquest cash for Toyota trades, they are saying that there is value in a Toyota...extra value in fact because the trade was a Toyota. = fail
    it's tricky to get advertising "just right". The message cannot be "direct", but implied.

I think you're right. There's not a car dealer in the world that wouldn't pair their cars with Toyotas in the same showroom if they could buy in cheap.

Which leads me to ask. Why can't you have Chevrolet and Ford in the same showroom, or can you?
    I don't think it can be done in the same showroom, but I am aware of a dealership that has both Ford and Toyota on the same lot, but they have separate showrooms.
    I'm sure I've seen various makes in the same showroom but not various American makes.
    Now that I think about it. I bought a nissan pathfinder from a dodge/jeep/kia dealer and they were all basically in the same show room. I was planning on buying a Liberty, but left in a Pathfinder.
    Yep, I've seen Saabs in a Cadillac showroom (in the past) but never a Lincoln in a Cadillac showroom.
    The problem isn't with the factory floor mats IIRC. It is with thick aftermarket floor mats installed by dealer and/or the customers.

That's what I'm talking about. I always put an aftermarket mat over the factory mats in my cars. Not even close to the gas pedal.
    Which leads me to ask. Why can't you have Chevrolet and Ford in the same showroom, or can you?

Dunno about Chevy and Ford, but the dealer I bought my old Intrepid from sold both Chevies and Dodges. It was all one big building, with Chevies on one side and Dodges on the other, and the service department in the middle.

Eventually they dropped the Chevy franchise, and picked up Chrysler/Jeep. But then a few years ago, about the time Fiat picked up Mopar, they dropped everything and simply closed up that dealership.

There's another dealership near me that used to sell Dodges and Pontiacs in the same showroom. And that was an era when the two were in closer competition, back when Dodge was supposed to be (but wasn't always) a step up from a Ford/Chevy/Plymouth. They dropped Pontiac long before GM did though, and picked up Chrysler/Plymouth, and are still in business today.

Never seen Fords and Chevies in the same showroom, though.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2013
    As I remember it, the Lexus mats were made by Lexus, just not for the model that crashed.

A while back I took out the driver's side floor mat. But the van is at 189k anyway, so super clean carpet doesn't matter anyway.
    Never seen Fords and Chevies in the same showroom, though.

Perhaps the entire old dealer model should crumble. If I can have General Mills, Post, and Kashi cereal all in the same store, why not cars, too?
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Perhaps the entire old dealer model should crumble. If I can have General Mills, Post, and Kashi cereal all in the same store, why not cars, too?

Best idea on these forums to date.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    In the small town where I am now, at one time not too long ago, Chevy and Toyota were sold in the same building, Honda and Buick were sold in the same building. Today Chevy and Toyota are still on the same property - different buildings, and Buick is gone with Honda taking over the entire building.

Chevy and Toyota sharing a building still seems funny to me, but I guess they did have some agreements.
    Oops...I must really be living in the past. Meant to say that dealer dropped Pontiac and then picked up Chrysler/Jeep...not Chrysler Plymouth!

Once upon a time, that dealer sold Plymouths, Dodges, DeSotos, Chryslers, and Imperials. I'd imagine they went to Dodge only around 1960, when Chrysler decided to organize into two divisions: Dodge only and everything else (ultimately Chrysler/Plymouth). Dunno at what point they picked up Pontiac, though. I just remember my grandparents bought their '75 Dart there. And in 1981, I remember going with my Mom and one of her friends, who bought a K-car, and seeing a St. Regis and Catalina in the same showroom.

My uncle went up to that dealer one day in 1990 to look at the Grand Ams, decided they were too cheap and plasticky looking, and ended up with a used '88 LeBaron coupe.
    Apologies if this has been previously posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_lfxPI5ObM

Wow, so innovative. I wonder how well this would go over in a UAW shop? It's amazing what can be done if all the old ideas are thrown out and new blood comes in.
    Probably better relations between workers and managers, it makes all the difference. Maybe less of a corporate socio-economic gap. See a German car factory for this, too.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >See a German car factory for this, too.

Are the Mercedes factories union?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    How about a Fusion next to a Maxima in the showroom. Got it at an area Ford dealer.

>General Mills, Post, and Kashi cereal

Aren't the shelves in a grocery divided up on a paid basis from the companies? In other words, to get my new Imidasoda onto the grocery shelf, I have to pay a fee to Kroger. The more I pay, the better placement for my product, i.e., shelf placement near the end or on an endcap even. Or higher rather than lower.

So I go to Meijers, and all the General Mills cereals are in a group. All the Post and Kelloggs in their own section of the aisle. There still is segregation rather than having the bran cereals from the various companies all intermixed next to each other like having a Nissan and Fusion side-by-side in the area Ford showroom.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Yes. Everything in Germany is unionized.
    edited August 2013
    Union shops made all the raw materials you see in the video most likely. Ferraris are built by robots and unions and they seem to do okay (the entire Ferrari production run is generally pre-sold).

Do robots cost jobs? Sure. Would you like to be replaced by a robot at your desk tomorrow?
This discussion has been closed.